Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2017 7:18 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, I love the visual style of this show. Very aesthetic and pleasing to the eye.
Well done JC Staff.

The show also has a colorful cast and setting. Chakuro is an interesting character so far as well. The world building of this show looks really well crafted with the refreshing feel. Saimia is a deadly ability that I have no doubt will be a recurring element in this show.

Good episode. Rikosu is a mysterous character, hope we find out more about her.

Oct 8, 2017 7:32 AM

Oct 2008
Story is pretty interesting, seems like it's going to turn into a dystopian world thing with the truth hidden from the children kinda like Shinsekai yori?? And the art is beautiful.
Oct 8, 2017 10:25 AM

Jan 2013
Is this licensed by Crunchyroll?
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Oct 8, 2017 10:30 AM

Feb 2014
SHINOBI-03 said:

Nope. Netflix. So your going to have to wait for some fansubs!
Oct 8, 2017 1:26 PM

Feb 2017
eXtacy67 said:
SHINOBI-03 said:

Nope. Netflix. So your going to have to wait for some fansubs!

The one thing I despise more than Amazon getting anime, is Netflix getting anime and releasing it a billion years later...

Oct 8, 2017 1:43 PM
Apr 2016
Aesthetically pleasing but not on par with the manga which isn't surprising since the manga art is fantastic.

Pacing felt decent. it did cover 2 chapters but i wonder if the next episode will be the same? I hope not but wouldn't be very displeased if it did.

Every anime needs to have a tiny animal mascot... Lol

LarkaniteOct 8, 2017 2:48 PM
Oct 8, 2017 2:18 PM

Jul 2008
What's up with this season? So many shoujo animes. I don't like how they keep using the same male voice actors for all these shoujo animes.

Anyway, this seems like something I might actually watch to the end. The backgrounds are pretty and the world seems to hold enough mysteries to keep up the interest.

Oct 8, 2017 2:24 PM

Sep 2016
Where did y'all watch the episode? It's not on kissanime yet (and if i could watch it on a better site that doesn't make ridiculous revenue out of stealing it would be cool)
Oct 8, 2017 2:57 PM
May 2015
Savajho said:
Where did y'all watch the episode? It's not on kissanime yet (and if i could watch it on a better site that doesn't make ridiculous revenue out of stealing it would be cool)

It won't be up anywhere. Netflix has it, so they won't release their subbed episodes until the series is over, which should be in December. Unless someone decides to fansub, everyone outside Japan/who doesn't know Japanese will have to wait until the end of the year to watch unfortunately.
Oct 8, 2017 3:07 PM

Sep 2016
YoseiEgg said:
Savajho said:

It won't be up anywhere. Netflix has it, so they won't release their subbed episodes until the series is over, which should be in December. Unless someone decides to fansub, everyone outside Japan/who doesn't know Japanese will have to wait until the end of the year to watch unfortunately.

I know right, that's why i was wondering how some people could watch the episode, hoping that they were not all lucky people who have netflix japan.
Oct 8, 2017 3:21 PM
Sep 2017
Looks gorgeous, it's an interesting and original story, the characters are great and the music is beautiful. It looks like the best of the season for me, at least for now.

What I understood from the episode was: There's a main world and the elders know about it, and probably it was them who got away from there. Also there's war happening there. That saimia power looks like it kills the users eventually, that's why they die young, the elders know but they don't say it, or even they can use it but they don't want to because they don't want to die. Also obviously doro kujira isn't the real island name.

I'm hoping for a great story to come, sometimes anime do disappoint but who knows :)

EDIT: People are asking where to watch it, I watched it on JKAnime, but it's in Spanish (I'm Spanish)
Oct 8, 2017 3:42 PM
May 2015
FranTheJam said:
Looks gorgeous, it's an interesting and original story, the characters are great and the music is beautiful. It looks like the best of the season for me, at least for now.

What I understood from the episode was: There's a main world and the elders know about it, and probably it was them who got away from there. Also there's war happening there. That saimia power looks like it kills the users eventually, that's why they die young, the elders know but they don't say it, or even they can use it but they don't want to because they don't want to die. Also obviously doro kujira isn't the real island name.

I'm hoping for a great story to come, sometimes anime do disappoint but who knows :)

EDIT: People are asking where to watch it, I watched it on JKAnime, but it's in Spanish (I'm Spanish)

Thank you. I only know a little bit of Spanish so maybe I can practice until English subs lol
Oct 8, 2017 4:23 PM

Sep 2016
i just watched the raw version so i didn't quite get everything, but i'm happy that jc staff can pull off some good animation for this when they are working on food wars at the same time.
Oct 8, 2017 7:56 PM

Apr 2017
Stunning Visuals with full vividly colors

J.C Staff can really tries to pleased us with this top tier-animation that live beyond my expectations

It does have the same similarities as Shinsekai Yori

The world building are vastly different yet quite aesthetic, and sub-par along the concepts of such interior elements in it's current plot
-HippySnob-Oct 8, 2017 8:14 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Oct 8, 2017 10:53 PM

Feb 2014
Asenshi release is out now for those that are looking for subs.
Oct 8, 2017 11:30 PM
Jul 2017
Is this ~60 minutes duration anime?
Oct 8, 2017 11:42 PM

Feb 2014
^No its normal length

2nd best debut of the season only behind Ancient Magnus Bride. That was excellent throughout and yes it did strongly remind me of Shinsekai Yori. Unique art style which is quite beuatiful so well done JC Staff.
Oct 8, 2017 11:55 PM

Jun 2015
This was a pretty good first episode. The art and music is beautiful. Got to know about the world. It's quite interesting. People die young. The characters are nice. A strange girl was found on another island, who's apparently an Apathoia, someone who has no emotions. Ouni took her back so he can see her island. Looking forward to see more.
Oct 9, 2017 12:16 AM

Mar 2008
The Elders are hiding shit. Looks like it's gonna turn dark soon.
Oct 9, 2017 12:20 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
What drew me to this series and it's PV was that it reminded me a lot of Nausica of the Valley but with a unique art style like with Grimgar and personally for me, it managed to somewhat remind me of both of them

Having our cast be isolated on a mysterious sand whale in the middle of an ocean of sand (Which is pretty fascinating to say the least) is pretty intriguing but when it's combined with the mysteries surrounding these Marked and Unmarked people all wrapped up in the ways of their society, I found myself to be very excited at the prospect of learning more about this world, the people and the sense of mystery and adventure that could potentially occur

As for the cast, there hasn't been a character that I didn't particularly like in some way so that's a huge plus for me, but I must say that I was most interested in the MC (It's pretty neat how he's an archivist and is really emotional too yet he does his job very well regardless), the brother of the blonde girl, the mysterious girl that they found and then the leader of those troublemakers - I'll learn/remember their names eventually

But yeah, as for the society, it's pretty depressing how the Marked people only live to their 30's max which sucks even more since 90% of the population are marked. However, I feel like this mysterious girl will be the key to figuring out how they can extend their lives because I feel like her people figured out how to do it (But I could be horribly wrong and instead we'll get tons of traumatic shit lol)

There's more that I wanna talk about but this is too long already but overall, this was a pretty great first episode, the tone and art/animation was perfect and very fitting, the music (And especially the ED song) was really nice, the characters aren't annoying so far, and there's a sufficient amount of mystery and world building left to touch on that it makes you want to come back for more

This is definitely Top 5 so far imo....I think I might have liked this more than Kino's Journey even
Oct 9, 2017 12:49 AM
Jul 2018
Damn the background art look gorgeous the character would look out of place more if it wasn't for good color palette and lighting

that beside i really didn't like the episode that much ,consistency narration that
scream "I'M MANGA/LN ADAPTATION" i hope after this episode (after layout the setthing of the world) they would tone it down

the plot that not really excited me until the end when the girl get kidnap that really wake me up ,lack of noticeable soundtrack until the end ,ED is really nice though

but really it's the first episode so they have to introduce character and the world so that understandable but i seen the better one for sure (i'm not a big fan of fantasy so that play the big part)

ps.the main character look so cute almost make me wish that he has more feminine voice just to throw everyone off
removed-userOct 9, 2017 12:57 AM
Oct 9, 2017 1:40 AM

Dec 2011
Oh god, i got bamboozled by the cover. I thought they are all girl until i saw this is a shoujo anime.
Oct 9, 2017 1:54 AM

Jul 2016
I admit, I haven't seen every first episode yet, but so far, this has my vote for anime of the season, just on the strength of it's artwork, because it's exactly the aesthetic I like. Bright, nearly crayon-ish colours and almost invisible outlines. The background art is beautiful, the character designs remind me of something out of a Tales game and the whole thing is just generally very pretty.

Doesn't have all the much interesting in terms of plot so far, nothing particularly bad, either. I have high hopes for this one.
Oct 9, 2017 1:55 AM

Jan 2017
The art is really good and I'm in love with the soundtracks in the episode.
For anyone wondering its up on KissAnime.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 9, 2017 2:13 AM
Apr 2015
If there are people who understand French, it's avaible on Despair Paradise.

However, it was a great first episode. Art is sooo beautiful, the characters are nice, and the world of this story is full of mystery. There is the same atmosphere as Nausicaa, I found.
Great start. I can't wait for the rest of the anime ^^
Oct 9, 2017 2:25 AM

Sep 2016
Tokoya said:
What drew me to this series and it's PV was that it reminded me a lot of Nausica of the Valley but with a unique art style like with Grimgar and personally for me, it managed to somewhat remind me of both of them

Having our cast be isolated on a mysterious sand whale in the middle of an ocean of sand (Which is pretty fascinating to say the least) is pretty intriguing but when it's combined with the mysteries surrounding these Marked and Unmarked people all wrapped up in the ways of their society, I found myself to be very excited at the prospect of learning more about this world, the people and the sense of mystery and adventure that could potentially occur

As for the cast, there hasn't been a character that I didn't particularly like in some way so that's a huge plus for me, but I must say that I was most interested in the MC (It's pretty neat how he's an archivist and is really emotional too yet he does his job very well regardless), the brother of the blonde girl, the mysterious girl that they found and then the leader of those troublemakers - I'll learn/remember their names eventually

But yeah, as for the society, it's pretty depressing how the Marked people only live to their 30's max which sucks even more since 90% of the population are marked. However, I feel like this mysterious girl will be the key to figuring out how they can extend their lives because I feel like her people figured out how to do it (But I could be horribly wrong and instead we'll get tons of traumatic shit lol)

There's more that I wanna talk about but this is too long already but overall, this was a pretty great first episode, the tone and art/animation was perfect and very fitting, the music (And especially the ED song) was really nice, the characters aren't annoying so far, and there's a sufficient amount of mystery and world building left to touch on that it makes you want to come back for more

This is definitely Top 5 so far imo....I think I might have liked this more than Kino's Journey even

haha my same thoughts as well i hope this anime really becomes one of the top ones this season and does well my favs so far are lykos the mysterious girl and the leader of the trouble makers
Facta Non Verba
Oct 9, 2017 2:42 AM

Dec 2014
ok wow it seems there is more than meets the eye...the elders are obviously hiding a big secret
Oct 9, 2017 2:49 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
komasan said:
Story is pretty interesting, seems like it's going to turn into a dystopian world thing with the truth hidden from the children kinda like Shinsekai yori?? And the art is beautiful.

That would be very nice indeed, since Shin Sekai yori is my all-time favorite anime. And even at the very beginning, I felt that it had a feeling of Suisei no Gargantia to it. I keep watching anime in the hopes of finding more series like those two. I may have just struck gold.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Oct 9, 2017 2:50 AM

Dec 2016
Very good first episode, I wasn't sure what to expect but I am very happy with what I watched.

Good build up to start with learning about these characters, their powers and also the mystery surrounding the girl that was found and her looking for Falena.

Looking forward to watching the next episode.
Oct 9, 2017 3:26 AM

Nov 2016
Potential anime of the season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2017 4:46 AM
Jan 2016
So the Whale Island is full of very emotional people. It's apparent with the main characters so far so easily blushed & easily teary-eyed. And even with the people usually suppress their feelings, they still had emotions to show. It's an interesting premise, but I have a feeling this premise will make the story overly dramatic.

And of course everything has to be explained by the protagonist. Almost every single thing. A bad way to building a world. A very stark difference with Made in Abyss first episode with subtle world building. I wonder if this kind of world-building was coming from the original source or it's an anime-only thing.

SpaceScylla said:
There is the same atmosphere as Nausicaa, I found.

There's a lot of sand in both anime, but that's it. Nausicaa has a more bleak & dystopian feel to it.
Oct 9, 2017 5:04 AM

Feb 2014
Probably the strongest first episode of the shows that I'm watching this season, along with The Ancient Magus' Bride.

J.C. Staff did a wonderful job with the pretty art and the soundtrack. Like others already mentioned, the show has the same sort of vibe that Shinsekai Yori had for me when I watched it.

It sucks to be the Marked though. Having a very short lifespan must be a downer for them, but at least Suou is looking for a way to cure the Marked from the short lifespan that they have.

If J.C. Staff keeps this up for the remaining 11 episodes, then we just might have an anime of the season right here. =)
Oct 9, 2017 5:38 AM

Jul 2015
That was weird but interesting, it reminds me to Shinsekai Yori, now let's see if the comparisons hurt it.
Oct 9, 2017 5:38 AM

Nov 2012
Definitely reminds me of Shinsekai yori,though with half the episodes I wonder what it'll be able to accomplish.
Oct 9, 2017 5:52 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Gorgeous looking show. These backgrounds are insane.

The story sounds interesting with humans dying off quickly, ''thymia'' magic and the girl that was introduced that probably lost her emotions (don't think she was always like that). Question is how that happened, my bet is on ''thymia''.

The elders are SUPER sketchy, my eyes are peeled on them already.

The ''bowel moles'' don't wanna stay on this ship and see more of the world in hopes of finding more people. I don't actually think that there will be more so it might be in vain, let's see what the three (Ouni, Lykos and Chakuro) will find out.

It was a bit rushed, i'm not gonna lie, they could have made it slower for us to process all the information easier and make it more atmospheric.
Oct 9, 2017 5:54 AM

Jun 2015
Interesting start, let's see what they do with it.
Oct 9, 2017 6:35 AM

Nov 2016
Wow, this was great, definitely my favorite start from the new shows this season.

Stunning visuals,interesting premise and world and also very atmospheric, mysterious and soothing.

Hope it will deliver a decent story and worldbuilding, if it meets these conditions it could end up as my AOTS.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 9, 2017 7:00 AM

Sep 2017
"Wow, this is beautiful." That was the first thing that came through my mind on the first 5 minutes of this episode. And I'll say that that's pretty difficult to do.

The artstyle and music are amazing, and in just one episode they've managed to set up a beautiful, interesting and mysterious world. This has a lot, and I mean A LOT of possibilities to get into the top spots of this season if it develops well.

Also, why the hell it has just a 7.47? This first episode was AT LEAST an 8.5 to me.
Oct 9, 2017 7:06 AM

Jul 2014
This show certainly looks very, very pretty, and it already seems as if there's an intriguing story hidden beneath the surface just waiting to be uncovered. On that front, it certainly seems promising, but there were a couple of minor moments that weren't especially good; while I imagine such moments will occur every so often, I'm hoping (and am fairly confident) that they won't derail all the good work the show is doing.

Overall, not a perfect first episode but definitely a promising one, with a very good ED as well. It'll definitely be intriguing to see where things go from here.
Oct 9, 2017 7:29 AM

Sep 2011
MetaThPr4h said:
That was weird but interesting, it reminds me to Shinsekai Yori, now let's see if the comparisons hurt it.
glad im not the only one who saw the similarities, a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid with a focus on an isolationist setting that is hiding truths of the outside world for a likely darker reason. I wouldnt say the comparison hurts it though as the setting and the world is already really different in both tone and in general mechanics so its really just similarities.

The show has alot of promise i just worry 1 cour is gonna cause it to be one of those "go read the manga" endings

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 9, 2017 7:34 AM

Feb 2014
miguitronik said:
"Wow, this is beautiful." That was the first thing that came through my mind on the first 5 minutes of this episode. And I'll say that that's pretty difficult to do.

The artstyle and music are amazing, and in just one episode they've managed to set up a beautiful, interesting and mysterious world. This has a lot, and I mean A LOT of possibilities to get into the top spots of this season if it develops well.

Also, why the hell it has just a 7.47? This first episode was AT LEAST an 8.5 to me.

Dude no new anime gets scores close to that high after a single episode, only sequels. A fantastic debut will get just above an 8.
Oct 9, 2017 8:29 AM

May 2016
Not bad, interesting to see how it goes as the season goes on
Oct 9, 2017 9:22 AM

May 2012
What an interesting start. I'm hooked

Oct 9, 2017 9:25 AM

Apr 2015
Does defo feel like a girl-targeted show, the delicacy(?) of the characters' emotions show

Didn't feel as balanced/classy as SSR or Mahoyome maybe but still was pretty good. Looks quite wonderful too. Dialogue was a tad forced maybe.

Reminded me of Never Let Me Go a bit.
Oct 9, 2017 9:35 AM

Jan 2015
Yeah, this is already a 10/10
Oct 9, 2017 9:59 AM
Nov 2016
Pretty solid start. The world building and the way the characters have been written are interesting.

The art style was a bit distracting for the first few minutes but then it all evened out and I love the art style now.

The story seems pretty interesting.
Oct 9, 2017 10:06 AM

Nov 2011
From this first episode, it is based on its original soul, so it is a chance for this series. Getting started is not bad, from the impression of being a prologue to what we will see in the future. The style of design and setting is very impressive.
Oct 9, 2017 10:41 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
JizzyHitler said:
MetaThPr4h said:
glad im not the only one who saw the similarities, a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid with a focus on an isolationist setting that is hiding truths of the outside world for a likely darker reason. I wouldnt say the comparison hurts it though as the setting and the world is already really different in both tone and in general mechanics so its really just similarities.

The show has alot of promise i just worry 1 cour is gonna cause it to be one of those "go read the manga" endings
I need to watch that show...I dunno why I've been holding off on it so long

But I didn't know that it was only going to be 1 cour which kinda sucks :( But I heard that the anime should past the translated chapters of this so at least there's that to look forward to (And maybe it'll inspire the scanlators to translate the chapters faster)
Oct 9, 2017 10:43 AM

Jul 2008
for anyone wondering....
*cough* nyaa.si *cough*
Oct 9, 2017 10:55 AM

Jun 2014
This was a great way to start, really intriguing, I'm curious to see where this goes! Definitely one of the more promising shows from this season. I love the interesting visual style they went with, this style is definitely not something you see very often in anime.
:3
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

94 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 8, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

63 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 8, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2017

160 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 7, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

46 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 14, 2023 7:38 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 11, 2023 9:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.