Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 5, 2014 12:10 AM

Jan 2013
Every episode with Johan is always the best. The picture book is one of my favorite things about this series, can't wait to see it again in a few episodes.
Oct 15, 2014 2:22 AM

Nov 2011
Ugh. Those poor kids. I could already tell Martin was one of Johan's kids we he acted psychopathic. I'm proud of how well Dieter handled it.

This episode ties into the last one very well thematically. This one shows that Johan loves tainting innocence. His "love" of children and Martin's situation is case-in-point. This is why he didn't mind if his sister killed him, or if Tenma kills him. The greater the innocence, the better, for Johan. Tenma has been very innocent up until now; he goes out of his way to help others and even dedicated his life to saving other lives. Dieter is another showing of his kindness and love. Given that Johan's life was saved through one of these acts of kindness/conscience, I wouldn't be surprised if Johan has the twisted idea that tainting Tenma is part of his "calling".

That picture book... I wonder about that. I think it's related to the ED.

Speaking of which, I think the ED has something to do with the spread of evil, though I don't have enough information to make an accurate guess (and agreement/disagreement) without making a lot of assumptions... It's as creepy/disturbing as ever, nevertheless.
TripleSRankOct 15, 2014 2:28 AM
Nov 2, 2014 8:19 AM

Aug 2008
Johann is sooo scary at the end. But I didn't mean to laugh, his seiyuu was just so funny.

OMG, that singing in the ED. And those pictures... so disturbing.
Dec 28, 2014 3:02 PM

Feb 2013
This anime is a bastard. I just can't.. anymore. Johan is by far the creepiest and scariest and the most twisted villain I've ever seen. Corrupting children's mind like that, that's beyond insane.

I love it.

I love this anime alright.

Anyway, about the picture book. I personally think it actually reminds Johan of his happy memories. The one that good Johan experienced years ago, before monster Johan took over his life. The book is triggering good Johan to wake up. Good Johan then struggles to take over the control of his body once again, hence the screaming and collapsing.

When he wakes up later, it will be good Johan. Tenma will realize that and of course he will not shoot Johan because how could he, Johan is a good boy now. Next time maybe, there's still 40 episodes left after all.

(I wonder if I got this all wrong but hey, I tried :p)
jaqenhgharDec 28, 2014 11:21 PM
Jan 7, 2015 12:31 PM

Aug 2014
Really good episode. I wonder why Johan freaked out, it was weird to see him like that. Something tells me that for one reason or another Tenma won't shoot Johan. It's too early for Johan to die.

Am I the only one who liked the new ending? It's not as good as the first one but it's nice too.
Feb 2, 2015 12:13 AM

Nov 2013
That scene with Johan fainting after reading that picture book was intense. I got goosebumps...

I don't think Johan's going to die. Why would they replace such a good antagonist already? That just seems distasteful.

*Doctor tells Dieter not to go in Martin's room*

*Dieter goes in there anyways and almost gets Martin killed in the process*

I'm starting to get annoyed with how dense Dieter is.

I hate that Martin kid. I really wanted him to die.

Looks like Johan's raising a bunch of asshole children from what it seems like.

Great episode. I was skeptical about this one at first but the end really sold it.

Also new ED song! Pretty good though I don't think I will be listening to it again.

That OP though. Still catchy as fuck.

8/10 things are gonna start getting real intense real soon I guarantee it.

Feb 2, 2015 8:18 PM

Jan 2014
Oh man when Johann started to lose it, i was on high alert, I don't think I blinked while anticipating a violent rampage. That was flat out intensely chilling.

Amazing episode again, I just can't stop watching. Each episode make me think and wonder about so many different things I just have to find out what the hell is exactly going on. Still a strong 10/10 easily. (excuse excessive fandom lol)
Feb 14, 2015 4:18 PM

Mar 2013
we saw Johann's first sign of emotion. i wonder what kind of drawings there are. And maybe after that, the story goes more back when they found. And we see their Czechoslovakia's memories.
Mar 30, 2015 6:52 AM
Nov 2014
Damn Johan is one sick mofo. Manipulating kids to jump off from buildings.

Oh wai they changed the ed.
Apr 25, 2015 10:40 AM

Nov 2014
New ending sucks

May 18, 2015 2:56 PM

Feb 2014
Really Tenma that is your sniping position...

I wasn't fan of the old ed but it far better than this new
Jul 21, 2015 7:50 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Jul 23, 2015 8:09 PM

Apr 2015
*taps everybody in this thread's shoulder frantically* Yo...did ya'll see that?!?!?!?!

It was so uncomfortable for me to see Johan cry & pass out like that bc it's as if he finally became human to me. It was weird to see his human side out shining his monster side, even if it was for a short moment.

I haven't read the other posts yet, but I'm sure everyone could figure out by the music playing in the episode that that picture book was obviously Johan's autobiography so to speak.

I'm glad Johan knows that he's about to pay what he owes. Get ready, buddy, time is up & bae is about to s l a u g h t e r.
Jul 26, 2015 8:03 AM

Apr 2015
Shoryuuken said:
I got the feeling that the artworks at the endings are really important.......

They are VERY important. I think it's safe to assume that it's the book Johann was reading before he collapsed.
Aug 31, 2015 12:15 AM

Dec 2013
Inb4 another person tells Tenma a tragic tale that makes him change location again.
Aug 31, 2015 2:10 PM

Dec 2013
TripleSRank said:
That picture book... I wonder about that. I think it's related to the ED.

Speaking of which, I think the ED has something to do with the spread of evil, though I don't have enough information to make an accurate guess (and agreement/disagreement) without making a lot of assumptions... It's as creepy/disturbing as ever, nevertheless.
↑ Spot-on with my thoughts so far. The monster inside of Johan's been elicited by that picture book, it seems.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 24, 2015 12:31 AM
Sep 2015
Strange episode.
Jan 4, 2016 1:27 AM

May 2014
dayum finally we see a new facial expression of Johan
Mar 27, 2016 10:13 PM

Dec 2015
wow...he messing up with the kids is really fucked up, what is his purpose?? there has to be one right
ofc the book....czechoslovakia...i knew something was going to happen but not this, so he really has 2 personalities huh
adfsdfsdgvds that ed was so funny what the crack
May 12, 2016 9:55 PM
May 2016
The Czechoslovakian book probably unlocked some memories about Johan's past that he never fully recognized before. It will be interesting to see how Johan evolves from here now that we have seen his vulnerability.
May 31, 2016 3:46 AM

Feb 2013
Johan is teaching the kids bad things.
Wow, what the fuck did he see in that book?
May 31, 2016 9:30 PM

Apr 2014
pretty sure that's the first genuine reaction we've seen from Johan. the book was probably connected to his past. i'm really interested to know more about Johan. but man those noises he made when he looked at the book were creepy

does Johan really think he's going to die because of Tenma? or is he just joking? because i thought he knew Tenma pretty well, and it's kind of obvious Tenma won't be able to kill him because of his kind nature

also, i burst out laughing when i heard the ED. the voice caught me off guard
belovingMay 31, 2016 9:40 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2016 10:58 AM
Jul 2015
I had a feeling early on that the sketches in the ending credits would hold a significance later on, and I'm glad that seems to be the case! The book may be some sort of metaphor for Johan being a "monster" and perhaps it connects to his past! So cool how the brilliant minds that created the anime adaptation thought to throw in that little hint.
Jul 9, 2016 6:09 PM

Aug 2014
What happened to Johan is so weird, I wonder what this book contains, perhaps some pictures from the ED?
Anyway this is getting better and better.
Excellent Episode.
Jul 29, 2016 5:55 PM
Dec 2014
Not even children can be safe from Johan. Look like he want to create an army of psycho childrens and that's explain why he approched the old rich man.
And I don't believe that Johan have a split personality.
Oct 22, 2016 4:20 AM

Jan 2016
Goddammit fuckin Naruto is still using his TALK NO JUTSU even when he’s on another show!

and what the fuck is up with that new ED lmao
Nov 29, 2016 11:53 AM

Jun 2015
Ok Johann is freaking the shit out of me. I was falling asleep but after I saw how this kid was acting my eyes shot wide open. I can't believe it.

Johann before collapsing, that was the part that scared me most.

It's pretty amazing how Johann precisely predicted the place where Tenma will shoot him.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 28, 2017 4:59 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, no one noticed that Johan looked at the exact spot where Tenma ended up setting as his sniping spot? That was crazy

I'm actually very fond of this ED.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 31, 2017 8:25 AM
Feb 2015
the new ending sucks, Really suprised to know that Johan knows everything
Jun 13, 2017 7:19 PM

May 2015
Johan is like a cult leader everyone is drinking his Kool-Aid and now even the kids who are the most vulnerable are at his mercy... 5 of them have been killed by his stupid game suggestion... he needs to be put down, he is a rabid dog. The question is who will do it?

On a side note:
I wonder exactly what triggered Johan's outburst...?
Jun 17, 2017 10:07 PM

Oct 2012
Creepy, you're so creepy Johan
Seems like something is triggering his "bad" memories

Are you really going to shoot him in open space like that?

ED is changing
I'm pretty surprised with it
"Signature removed"
Sep 4, 2017 5:08 AM

Jul 2016
Goddamnit I hate that Martin kid.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Nov 5, 2017 9:57 AM

Mar 2016
Yassss!!! I knew that Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia would play a role in this series beforehand, but still! It makes me so happy to see it here! ^^

Any other Czechs here?
Jan 20, 2018 12:06 AM

Mar 2016
The new ending song is interesting, I think it'll take some getting use to though. This is the only series where I listen to the end song every single time, to see the pictures haha.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Jan 31, 2018 9:39 PM

Jan 2018
Maybe a part of Johan wants Tenma to shoot him? If there really are two personalities inside of him.
Feb 2, 2018 11:27 AM

Feb 2013
mewinblue said:
Yassss!!! I knew that Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia would play a role in this series beforehand, but still! It makes me so happy to see it here! ^^

Any other Czechs here?

I am Slovak, so I will hop on that bandwagon with you :D I knew about it before hand as well, its one of the main reasons this show has been on my radar for so long.

Feb 2, 2018 11:51 AM

Mar 2016
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
mewinblue said:

Any other Czechs here?

I am Slovak, so I will hop on that bandwagon with you :D I knew about it before hand as well, its one of the main reasons this show has been on my radar for so long.

Yeah for me it was also one of the main reasons I watched it (after having it on my PTW for like half a year xD)

I wonder if anyone else will hop on? :D
Feb 27, 2018 2:53 PM
Oct 2017
edgy 10 year olds, really? this is so hard to sit through, also the hospital and adults on the street are just gonna let some little kid with a crutch walk out of a hospital and into a street? and none of the parents suspect this babysitter(?) of teaching these kids bad things? really testing my suspension of disbelief
bitchassdariusFeb 27, 2018 2:58 PM
Apr 15, 2018 7:22 AM

Oct 2015
Is Johan trying to make next him since he knows he'll die? Very interesting reaction from him when he read the picture book. They emphasized it was from Czech Republic so it probably has a meaning to it. Johan is very interesting, I want to know more about him and his mindset.
Apr 30, 2018 3:50 AM

Sep 2017
When Johan collapsed, I got reminded of Death Note. Similar sequences. Perhaps he was reading the same notebook?

Tenma is right where Johan wants him to be. Anyways, I hope Johan gets laid and the same for Tenma, with the nurse in the preview.

Dieter is, well, Dieter in this episode. I think that the child's mom also has a crush on Johan, otherwise she would not even allow him inside her house.

What did Johan mean by the treasure of humanity? And that picture book must be the end credits. Speaking of which, the new ED totally sucks.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 2, 2018 4:36 AM

Jan 2018
I'm watching the english dub and the ending song is still the same. Does anybody know why it's still the first ED at the version I watch?
Nov 18, 2018 7:33 PM
Mar 2012
Here's a spanish translation of the book Johann found, if anyone's interested.

http://agaf74.blogspot.com/2006/08/el-monstruo-que-no-tena-nombre.html
Dec 29, 2018 6:33 PM

Nov 2016
Pretty messed up stuff in this episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 18, 2019 7:04 AM
Apr 2016
Damn, Johan made kids literally play *games* like that...poor children... Johan went all out mental at the end, the heck happened...hopefully he dies already.
Feb 25, 2019 3:15 PM

Jun 2015
Dieter you are really a fucking idiot, aren't you?
And seeing johan acting like that was really surprising.
Apr 8, 2019 7:02 PM

Oct 2013
Johan is actually the second coming of hitler. Also wtf is Dieter doing??

May 30, 2019 7:18 PM
Apr 2018
Wtf, Johan is killing children now.

So it seems those games might be related to the incident when Johan was a kid and Nina shot him in the head.
Aug 28, 2019 1:48 PM

Apr 2017
Dieter gets told to sit his ass down and be quiet, Dieter runs off the second Old Dr. is off-screen. Also, no one is questioning why a bandaged kid in hospital pajamas and crutches is walking around town unsupervised by an adult, and jumping in the middle of a busy road? Does no bystander have any lick of common sense in this anime?

Tenma must assume that people will just let him sit there in the middle of the balcony, lugging that sniping rifle around, and just shoot Johan. That, if he even manages to get it past security. Flawless logic.

ED was the worst collection of sounds I've ever heard in an anime.

It's kind of funny how that crime syndicate (yeah remember them? lol) is trying to get Johan to lead them but he's busy getting kids to basically kill themselves and generally doing anything he wants in plain sight. I hope Lunge returns in the next few episodes, he's a more interesting opponent to Tenma than Johan.
Nov 3, 2019 8:05 AM

Dec 2018
Seems Dieter need his old father back to beat him up, but it became a good thing in the end that he snap some sense into Martin's view.

Seems Johan can still be scared(?) of something...
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Nov 18, 2019 7:05 AM

Oct 2013
I am so confused... read some of these posts, and I'm still confused.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

154 by brightdeadthings »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 7, 2008

109 by dkharanime »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

196 by dkharanime »»
Today, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 48 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 12, 2008

111 by Sapewloth »»
Yesterday, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 12, 2008

110 by Sapewloth »»
Jun 11, 7:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.