Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 9, 2008 7:46 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So Johan also messed with the kids heads, and here I was thinking that he had a small piece of humanity left.
Also, I wonder why Johan started acting to weird, and then collapsed, after reading that book.
Apr 21, 2008 12:07 AM

Feb 2008
The good Johanne knows that he is going to die and therefore accept his fate, but the bad Johanne (the monster) doesn't want to accept it, thus the monster wants to control the body now in order to get away from the fate of dying.

(That's my hypothesis, haha!)

And what kind of ED song is that? It really sucks! XD
May 15, 2008 2:48 PM

Jul 2007
I don't like the OP nor the ED of Monser lol.

Anyway, I just watched this ep as wel. Johan is acting really weird, let's hope he doesn't die yet. Did you notice Johan staring at the area where Tenman wanted to snipe him down?
Jul 18, 2008 11:30 AM

Apr 2008
A superb episode! Brilliantly suspenseful with Dieter and that kid on the rooftop. Heck, just knowing that Johan was around those kids is creepy enough, let alone knowing he's warping their minds.

Also, I've just got to know what was in that book that could disturb even Johan.
Oct 15, 2008 2:58 AM

Feb 2008
I wonder why Johan was freaking out while reading that book.
Dec 3, 2008 2:25 PM

Nov 2008
I think that Johan's split personality causing his freak-out is a good hypothesis.

The new ED is really, really terrible. I wasn't a huge fan of the first OP or ED, but this is far worse.
Dec 17, 2008 10:40 PM

Nov 2008
I think the Johan's collapse is because his past in Czechoslovakia, the author of the book also was from there.
Also the new ED was so bad that I got scared xD
Dec 26, 2008 3:59 PM

Jun 2008
Well, he probably freaked out as he was from Czechoslovakia and he'd read the book when he was a child. Probably before he got fucked in the head.

And did you honestly think he wasn't just fucking with those kids?
Aug 2, 2009 6:06 AM

Jun 2009
eyerok said:

Go back to listening to your GAY Mainstream music (something which most animes have these days)

Somebody needs to calm down... . And I didn't know music could be homosexual.. didn't know music had a sexual preference at all..

I agree, I think the book has something to do with Johan's past, before he came to Germany.. Something his parent's read to him? Probably evil parent's if the kid is anything to go by!
Aug 5, 2009 8:46 PM

Jan 2009
The OP is really good, I'll addmit I really like it; the first ED was Okay, but this second ending just sucks uncle balls.

Anyways, okay so he wants to kill Johan but then what? Hes going to run for the rest of his life? Hes going to commit seppuku? Or he doesn't care about his life anymore except for killing Johan? Damn you Tenma.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 11, 2009 4:40 AM
Jun 2009
Well, I sure wasn't expecting that reaction from Johan.
Aug 11, 2009 12:25 PM

Jul 2009
So now Johan is screwing with children's minds now. Was that scream the first piece of real emotion we've seen from Johan? How is the book connected? Maybe something from his childhood...

P.S. The ED song is the worst I've ever heard XD
Oct 13, 2009 1:43 AM

Nov 2007
well, the ending theme is less annoying than the previous (and slowlyyyyy... ughh).

Well Johan fucked up a kid, he has some schedual :P I wonder what happened at the end. And wtf is up with tenma wanting to kill him, he finally has some support :/.
Jan 31, 2010 8:45 AM

Sep 2009
THIS IS IT! This is the missing link. This is the episode I have been waiting for.This is the episode that ties all the loose plot strings that have accumulated in my mind so far.

Now I am almost 100% sure that Johan does not have a split personality. He is not schizophrenic. All the facts before were a reference to this. There was only one loose string considering this matter. The fact that Johan asked his sister to shoot him in the head. How could I have missed it before. The boy with a cast, Martin, explained everything. Johan wanted to be sure if there is a reason for him to live. He thought that if there was a reason for him to live, if he was actually special, there would be something meant for him to do. And if there was something important meant for him to do, he would not die until he actually accomplishes it. That is why Johan actually asked his sister to shoot him. He though that if he survived it means that he is truly special, he has a role in this world. And the role is something really meaningless. Something that would change entire humanity. It might be to instil Johan's ideology to humans. The episode explained so much.

And there is another thing. The end seems to be puzzling everyone. It was clearly stated, that the book was written by a writer from Czechoslovakia. We also know that Johan and his sister were found on the border of Czechoslovakia and Germany. it is Thus, it is logical to think that it was written by his father or caregiver. Probably the one that changed his entire personality. We might also interpret that his father "build" Johan like this. Seeing his intelligence, he wanted to make Johan perfect and follow his ideology. It is possible that nothing like that happened and his father only abused him, consequently monster was born inside Johan. It might also be a book that is just a random czechoslovakian book, that reminged him of the past which could be similar to the mentioned above.

Now let's get back to Tenma. I can't understand his motives of killing Johan inside the library. Can't he shoot him from some roof outside the library, why inside. It would not only risk his life literally or legally, which he seems not to care about, but the success of the mission it self. How does Tenma think he will shoot from a sniper there? It is not a pistol. He should be aware that there is a high possibility of guards being there. Whether they were informed about possible threat or not. It is also not like this is the only place he could shoot. There is the whole city. But this is not some kind of silly shounen. This is a really good seinen. And Tenma is not an idiot. He also doesn't rely on his emotions when taking critical logical decisions. Therefore, I am sure he has a good reason for this, or we did not understand his intentions.
No sig :(
Mar 8, 2010 6:28 PM

Jan 2010
That little kid was such a douche to that old guy. D:

And I wonder why Johan was so freaked out.
\
Jun 29, 2010 12:38 AM

May 2008
unclesnapple said:

The new ED is really, really terrible. I wasn't a huge fan of the first OP or ED, but this is far worse.

QF fuckin T. It sucked so hard.

Although I think the old OP/ED were perfect for this kind of series. The OP starts the suspense wonderfully, and the ED was just eerie and awesome.
Jun 30, 2010 9:54 AM

May 2010
the 1st ED song is far better than the 2nd.. But the song seems to have deeper meaning.
Aug 8, 2010 1:59 PM

Apr 2009
Johann's ideology seems a little bit like Nietzsche philosophy, the survival of the fittest, nihilism, etc..

Johann is the personification of Nietzsche "Ubermensch" (superman)
Sep 2, 2010 9:27 AM

Sep 2009
Intriguing ep and change in ending, whoop!
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Oct 18, 2010 8:25 AM

May 2009
worst ending ever!
Nov 13, 2010 11:07 AM

Mar 2010
I already know whats going to happen only cause the next two episodes
were spoiled by my self a long ass time ago

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 26, 2011 3:57 AM
May 2010
Algirdyz said:
Now let's get back to Tenma. I can't understand his motives of killing Johan inside the library. Can't he shoot him from some roof outside the library, why inside.

I was thinking about this too. The security will be strict there, so he would have much better chances outside. Probably some guard would notice an Asian man with a sniper rifle. Unless he is going hide inside a pile of books.
Apr 30, 2011 11:44 AM
Feb 2010
theeggman85 said:

Although I think the old OP/ED were perfect for this kind of series. The OP starts the suspense wonderfully, and the ED was just eerie and awesome.

I actually think this one fits more than the last one, although they're both perfect forthe show. This one is more meaningful, especially considering the last half of the show. David Sylvie song was a bit too slow and boring though lol
May 17, 2011 8:17 PM

Oct 2008
Whaa, Johann collapsed? :O
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Sep 21, 2011 9:58 AM

May 2009
I got the feeling that the artworks at the endings are really important.......
Nov 20, 2011 8:42 AM
Aug 2010
The author of the book, emil sebe, google that name, everything makes sense
Nov 20, 2011 8:51 AM
Aug 2010
The Monster Without a Name, by Emil Sebe, that is the name of the book Johan was reading
Mar 2, 2012 2:57 AM

Mar 2009
It seemed weird for Johan to scream.
Mar 14, 2012 3:23 PM

Mar 2010
wow wierd episode
Jun 4, 2012 4:53 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Finally we get an insight into Johan's past (before he even came to Kinderheim 511) and boy what a scary past it must have been. His meltdown was freaky to say the least. Although not as freaky as the ED!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 10, 2012 11:26 AM

Aug 2008
gardab said:
I think the Johan's collapse is because his past in Czechoslovakia, the author of the book also was from there.

Agreed, or its a book his real or foster parent read to him.

I assume, it's where the ED art is from.
Jul 27, 2012 10:17 PM

Jul 2010
I hate Johan with a passion now. How could he fuel those terrible ideas into the heads of little boys? He really is a heartless monster.. It breaks my heart. Cried a lot this episode :/ I'm so proud of Dieter though :) He's become so strong! And Junko Takeuchi is such a good voice actor..
Sep 22, 2012 12:25 AM

Nov 2009
That is probably THE WORST sniping spot I have ever seen, is that directly in front of the main entrance? bleh, he passes up the forest out of pity? He is killing someone and in my opinion killing someone infront of a few birds is alot better than infront of a lot of people.
Oct 15, 2012 5:46 PM

Feb 2011
Pretty much all of my sentiments have already been stated by others one way or another except for one... I'm pretty sure that kid, Martin, is gonna grow up to be a psychopath.
Nov 12, 2012 10:33 AM

Dec 2007
I guess Johann doesn't like picture books much.

Speaking of picture books, the pictures from the ED look like they are from one.
Dec 18, 2012 3:13 AM

Feb 2012
Mad episode! and new ED theme well... not so good.

About Episode:

So again Johan was manipulating some children. And that kid Martin just became evil because of Johan. And that was awful game he had planned for those kids. It was also very frightening to see when that boy just hit that old man with stick and dieter had to only watch that terrible kid. But luckily dieter told Martin what good things is in world and there is no always bad things.

So now I understand why Johan became like that really explained a lot. I am not sure though does Johan have split personality or is he just tried to fake it. Johan maybe remembered something about his past so that's why he collapsed.

Hmm what will Tenma do know...

5/5
Jan 28, 2013 4:17 PM

Jan 2012
That kid was actually more creepy than Johan. Anyway, a very intriguing episode.

Feb 11, 2013 2:34 AM

Sep 2011
Tenma's decision to take out Johan from inside the library must be one of the dumbest things in this show so far, and that's saying a lot.
Apr 26, 2013 3:15 PM

Apr 2013
The picture book is definitely related to Johan's past. The fact that it was written by a writer from Czechoslovakia means that its related to his past before he was taken to the Kinderheim 511. And this makes you think at exactly what point of Johan's life was the monster born. What kind of life did he have before he was was brainwashed and experimented on. But one thing is certain that Johan and his sister Anna where found on the border of Czechoslovakia and that means that something horrible must have happened to them. And all the answers about the monster might lie in that distant past.
May 6, 2013 10:59 AM

Oct 2012
Samurainight said:
The author of the book, emil sebe, google that name, everything makes sense

Well, Emil Šebe is fictionous author, created by mangaka. And this episode was very good.
Jul 18, 2013 3:11 AM

Jul 2013
It was this episode that made me finally realize why this story is a mystery. The thing about this story is we, the readers, always know who the villain is. The mystery is, what is the villain's next move, and what is he up to next? This episode shows him make two new moves (the children's game at the beginning and his freak out at the end) and alludes to his next move. It was hinted he was using the children somehow before when you see him with all those children, and this episode reveals what he was doing: grooming them. And if I had to guess, he is grooming potential successors in case he himself dies. Martin, the child talking to Dieter, says Johann is playing an even scarier game, that a Japanese man will kill him with a sniper rifle. This also confirms Johann indeed did know Tenma had been watching him. It also brings up the question, is Johann grooming Tenma?
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Aug 19, 2013 7:51 AM
May 2012
The book that Johann read was Twilight that's why he freaked the fuck out and If Tenma is planning to shoot Johann in that distance then he shouldn't have bought that sniper he's completely visible there and I'm 80% sure that Johann does not have split personality.
Oct 6, 2013 9:44 PM

Jul 2009
wow lots of interesting events!!

for the first half, why the hell didn't the nurses notice two kids(one injured) coming out of the hospital like that?

you would think people would ask them where they're going in the condition that martin kid is.

pretty gutsy about walking in front of incoming traffic O__O

wow he beat the hell out of that poor guy.

i'm glad Dieter beat the sense out of him, it seems Martin just wants to become like Johan yet he couldn't get passed the fear of death.

damn Karl is still there!

i thought Johan look upstairs thinking Tenma is there.

it's probably something related to his past :P

i think he may have discover one of his family's books, that or something that was showed to him as a little boy and the innocent Johan is shock at what he sees since we see him cry, but not in a sad way.

damn never though i'd see Johan down like that. guess he is still human after all :P

and yeah the ED is not very fitting in a show like this :P

but either way i don't mind.

can't wait for more episodes!
Dec 17, 2013 6:17 AM

Sep 2011
I thought he was going to rip her head off or something!
Jan 7, 2014 6:31 PM

Mar 2013
These images of the ending I think they tell the history of the book johan was reading. I loved the OP and the EDS. they have all the right levels of creepy
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Feb 10, 2014 6:05 PM

May 2013
This show is too addicting. It's unhealthy.

This was another great episode...but then again, since Johann was the focus, of course it was. The way he's twisting the children's minds is messed up, but you get the impression that he doesn't think it is. It's likely he really cares for these kids, in the only way he knows how.

And of course, the collapse at the end...first time Johann loses his cool. It's going to be interesting to discover why.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Aug 1, 2014 6:31 AM

Nov 2011
I think the new ed is ok! The tired, desperate voice somehow fits to the this part of the anime.

This was a very good and creepy episode. I wonder if Johan is manipulating kids just for fun, or as some sort of experiment, or is he planning something for them. Johan's inhumane screaming was disturbing but surprised me pleasantly, maybe we'll soon see about his past.

Aug 1, 2014 6:35 AM

Nov 2011
Tengai said:
The book that Johann read was Twilight that's why he freaked the fuck out

Lol I started laughing aloud, even though the Twilight jokes are so old ;P

Sep 1, 2014 9:54 PM

Jan 2014
I was worried that either the OP or ED would change, and here we are. And the new one is predictably a downgrade from the old one. Why must anime feel the need to change their OPs and EDs when their current ones are perfectly fine? This series especially, its OP and ED were perfect for it. The OP particularly. I've been letting the OP play for every single episode because of how atmospheric and powerful it is. If they change the OP, I'm going to be pissed.
Oct 4, 2014 5:25 PM

Sep 2013
That must have been a very scary book.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.