Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 29, 2023 7:00 AM

Jul 2017
On route further to the Granz Channel, and it's a sorry sight for the waters being contaminated by wreckage. Even worse, the reward being a grimoire from the legendary mage Flamme, that was a poor imitation. As Winter comes, Fern treats Frieren like a mother taking care of her own child, and sad to say that Frieren is not a morning person, though how the Hero party tolerated this for 10 years is a miracle. The New Year's Festival incoming as well, and they need to clear the coast as swift as possible, and soon the beach returns to clear and clean waters, though they oblige to stay behind for the sunrise. And yeah, it may be a normal sunrise, but it's what Himmel wanted her to see, and she finally did.

A tradition to pray for the dead in the Bredt region, that's what the Hero party used to do, and Frieren meets Eisen to hang out and find Flamme's notes, which Heiter managed to pinpoint to Voll Basin, but a large tree to find in the haystack, they need to find efficiently and effectively. Soon, they locate the big tree, and they knew that Frieren would worry over their deaths so much that they worry about her. No surprise to ever tell that Frieren was once Flamme's disciple, and the best one at that, even for conversing with the dead in Heaven: Aureole, the land where dead souls rest...which that location is where the Demon Lord's castle is at: the northernmost continent of Ende. That becomes the main objective, and as Eisen questions Fern on whether Frieren is a good master who begins to look after the people close to her. Too bad that Eisen is too old to accompany them, and both Frieren and Fern will cross the 10-year-journey once more back to Ende.

milet's special ED "bliss" (for the TV broadcast) is such a calm but great song, the feels with the watercolour illustrations of Frieren and Fern.

That's it for the phenomenal 2-hour premiere, adapting the entirety of Volumes 1 and 2 (Chapter 8) of the manga! What a ride.
KANLen09Oct 5, 2023 1:42 PM

Dec 2021
I agree Frieren. Waking up early sure is a drag.

In the Granz Channel, a village asks Frieren and Fern to clear the coast of debris. As a reward, they receive a counterfeit book attributed to the Great Mage Flamme. Despite this, Frieren agrees to the task. They successfully cleanse the coast, just in time for the New Year's Festival. As dawn breaks, they marvel at the breathtaking sight of the pristine sea shimmering in the morning light.

This episode, unlike any before, evoked a profound sense of how Frieren sought to address her regrets. She couldn't quite fathom why witnessing that sunrise held such significance, yet she went along with it. Even in the moment, she required assistance to grasp its importance, which her friend provided. Elves are known for their grace and elegance, but it's refreshing to see one who embraces a more laid-back and unpolished approach.

Heiter prays at Eisen's family graves. They discuss beliefs about the afterlife. The Hero Party joins in. 28 years after Himmel's passing, Frieren and Fern help Eisen search for Flamme's notes. They find ruins protected by a powerful barrier. Flamme's prophecy guides Frieren. In the ruins, she discovers Flamme's authentic writings. They reveal Flamme's encounter with Aureole in Ende. Frieren and Fern set off for Aureole, the land of souls. So, Eisen, Frieren, and Fern journey on. As Frieren dozes, Eisen and Fern discuss Frieren's prowess as a teacher. At the border of the Bredt Region, Eisen bids them farewell and reflects on how Frieren's decade-long quest with the Hero Party has transformed her.

If Fern's magic teacher were human, she must have been exceptionally driven compared to Frieren, mastering magic within a single mortal lifetime. It's amusing how we've concluded for now, with Frieren finally revisiting a place she's yearned for over centuries, only to find herself wrapped in a sense of leisurely idleness. Lol. It seems she'll be in need of a lengthy slumber. Let's hope Fern doesn't have any tight schedules for the next few years. Without constant monster battles like the Hero Party, their journey might be quicker. It's time to revisit the path Frieren tread a decade ago. It promises to be a pleasant experience. I'm really enjoying this series.

This little four-episode premiere has piqued my interest in Frieren and Fern's adventure. Now, I eagerly anticipate Frieren Fridays!

Jul 2021
They finished adapting Vol 1 + Chapter 8 in the last part of the EP. Frieren and Fern clean a village's coast in the Granz Channel for the reward of a counterfeit book, but their motivation is also to see the New Year's sunrise. Frieren reminisces about Himmel's wish for her to enjoy the New Year's Festival. In a flashback scene, the Hero Party discusses the afterlife, with Heiter believing in Heaven while Frieren and Himmel are uncertain. Twenty-eight years later, Frieren and Fern assist Eisen in the Voll Basin as they search for the notes of the Great Mage Flamme. They find a tree protected by a powerful barrier and manage to access Flamme's notes. Flamme's notes detail her journey to a place known as Aureole (Heaven) in the northern continent. Eisen believes in the existence of Heaven and suggests that Frieren should find it to communicate with Himmel, even if it means facing the harsh conditions near the Demon King's Castle. Fern really cares about Frieren and how she plays such a role as a teacher! It’s definitely going to be an adventure of a lifetime, until the day it lasts again. Milet’s ED is beautiful, even though there is another ED by her next episode maybe, the watercolor of the still-ED visual is so pretty..
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

May 2020
Give Frieren grimoires and I bet she would undertake any kind of task… any kind lol. She’s a grimoire freak, and that goes true for even counterfeits as well. Though hey that one being claimed as Flamme’s very own is more than a reason itself for Frieren to work without much complaints. Though Frieren, if not for yourself atleast do take the feelings of this young girl, Fern, into account lol, and try to wake up on time to get the new year tradition done.

Not sure if Frieren would improve her methods, but mama Fern is there for her:) By the way, I liked how Frieren, so nonchalantly, appeared out of nowhere to Eisen’s place and said, “I’m here to meet and play with you, Eisen”, lol, just took you close to 30 years. Though the main thing, to uncover what’s there in the notes, Flamme conserved for so long. And to have a conversation with the dead, just so Frieren could know Himeel’s feelings a lot better, there’s only one place they need to pay a visit… HEAVEN, and that does exist.

Journey to the demon king’s castle thus begins, and the story in its full stretch too. Would be the second time for Frieren, but with different companions this time around.

Stark should come next episode. By the way, mother Flamme
Sep 29, 2023 7:30 AM

Oct 2011
ahhhhhhhhhhhh stark next episode 😍😍😍😍😍
Sep 29, 2023 7:37 AM

Jun 2019
Next episode should be an amazing one as well. As we are going to meet some new characters. Amazing premiere for this show. Couldn't have asked for more than this. I have high expectations and I have faith that they will deliver. I liked the ED more than the OP. Maybe, that's just me. Enjoyed the OP more on the visual side.
Sep 29, 2023 9:31 AM
Jul 2023
Frieren reminded me so much of Elda from Otaku Elf
Sep 29, 2023 9:56 AM
Sep 2021
There was a lot of hype for this show but after watching the firsts four episodes, I can't say that I'm going to like this show.

To me, the firsts four episodes are a 7/10 overall : it was fine but nothing crazy..

I'll pass on this one, but I wish you to enjoy it ! ;)
Sep 29, 2023 10:11 AM

May 2015
dropped the manga because the art is bad, too much halftones, the anime is so much better is not even close.
Sep 29, 2023 10:18 AM
Jun 2020
Ok, Madhouse's just out done themselves. This has blown my expectation into oblivion. The adaptation quality is insane. Evan Call's music had me felt nostalgic. And having Yoasobi and Milet made opening and ending themes are just way too good. Everything is perfect. This is truely a fine work of art. And we're getting 28 episodes of these? What could I possibly ask for more? This is officially my anime of the year
Sep 29, 2023 10:20 AM
Sep 2022
what is the anime services?
Sep 29, 2023 10:23 AM

Dec 2020
Well Frieren is seeimg Eisen again and with him they search for a big tree that was a Frieren Teacher Flamme who has a magic spell that someone can speak with someone again who is dead.
Fern is knowing Frieren and sees her as a good teacher.
Well for her 10 years are really nothing.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Sep 29, 2023 10:24 AM
Apr 2022
I liked the animation, the backsound and the storyline.
Sep 29, 2023 10:27 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
This was a nice cap to the special.

Seeing Frieren meet Eisen again and set out to find Flamme's actual notes, all to start to embark on a new journey was pretty engaging stuff through and through.

So far, Madhouse did a superb job at adapting these first 8 chapters of the manga.

I am very much looking forward to the next episode.
Sep 29, 2023 10:40 AM

Apr 2010
Lucky for her not the entire party is gone and the did find something nice.
It's also nice to learn a few things about the past master of Frieren and Fern also learned a few new things.
Hopefully their next trip won't be to cold.
Sep 29, 2023 10:43 AM
Jan 2021
"Beautiful" is the only word i can say about this anime
Sep 29, 2023 10:49 AM
Apr 2019
wow what a great first four eps
Im overall satisfied with how it turned out
I always have low expectations for my favourite comics
Thanks to Keiichiro Saito and his exceptionally talented team,
Aside from the dull opening which doesn't match the vibe of the manga
I'd say they have almost nailed it in every aspects
It's my birthday soon so it was a nice birthday present for me (lol)
Sep 29, 2023 10:51 AM
Feb 2019
It's everything I've wanted out of a frieren adaptation. I look forward to the next episode.
Sep 29, 2023 11:03 AM

Oct 2017
This episode felt quite nostalgic and made me emotional with all the callbacks to the past events from Frieren's time with Himmel and their journey. Also Frieren's master Flamme, she's an interesting character. Once again like Heiter, Eisen has also given Frieren a task but it's for her sake. They really care for her so much.

That's it for the 2 hour long premiere. It's been a really good adaptation so far and I'm really looking forward to upcoming episodes.
Sep 29, 2023 11:22 AM
Oct 2020
this is how fantasy world works, MADHOUSE did a excellent job producing this series, SO LOVE IT
Sep 29, 2023 11:23 AM

Apr 2014
pretty cookie-cutter generic fantasy so far. whats the hype about? does the whole cast die brutally? we've seen this formula thousands of times by now
Sep 29, 2023 11:24 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to dior
pretty cookie-cutter generic fantasy so far. whats the hype about? does the whole cast die brutally? we've seen this formula thousands of times by now
@dior Amen to that..
Sep 29, 2023 11:32 AM

Apr 2021
4 episodes and I was engrossed throughout. Looking forward to the rest of the season!!
Sep 29, 2023 11:38 AM

Jul 2012
I love how each episode retraces the steps of her ten-year adventure with the other heroes. And with each, unlocks a different memory of her old friends. We can tell that they all cared deeply for her. They were worried for her when they would no longer be around. But even though Himmel and Heiter have passed, they still live on colorfully in her memories. Maybe that's why she's begun to find them precious and important.
Sep 29, 2023 11:46 AM

Jun 2021
"But even if it doesn't exist, I believe it should." "It's more convenient that way." ~Heiter

The talks about heaven were really interesting. Almost all the dialogue really hits. These first four episodes were great overall. Almost two hours of this show was worth my time. Didn't get tired of listening to the OP and ED songs four times.
Sep 29, 2023 11:46 AM
Dec 2021
To think that our life is so short, it's true, we must value more the time we have and the time of others <3
Sep 29, 2023 11:52 AM

Jul 2020
After watching 4 episodes, I can say that this show is amazing in every aspect except for Fern's overly chubby cheeks
Sep 29, 2023 12:06 PM

Feb 2019
So here we are. The biggest new show of Fall 2023 is finally here. I’d been meaning to read it for the past year or so, just so many LNs to read that manga tends to get buried down my priority list. I’m glad I experienced these first four episodes in anime form, though.

The storytelling and emotional weight of this first quarter of the show really ignited something in me that I haven’t felt in a long time when watching anime. I was instantly taken back to how I felt the first time I watched Violet Evergarden. Wonderful stories like this remind you that anime can be as simple or as complex as you make it. It’s all down to the quality of the writing. We can learn so much from stories like Frieren.

Eisen’s quote “that’s not what relationships are about” struck me as so simple, yet profound. You don’t enter into a relationship, whether it’s friendship or an intimate relationship with someone with the expectation that it’s all pointless because one day it’ll end and they’ll die. You go into it wanting to enjoy the moment and connect with people. Even though the pain of loss is tremendous, it’s better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Even just in these 4 episodes, we see Frieren undergo quite a bit of a change. From understanding that she took her time with her party members for granted and not being able to give Himmel a proper goodbye, to wanting to make sure Fern didn’t make the same mistake with Heiter. From not wanting an apprentice to taking one one.

The New Year’s Festival was also really sweet to me. Frieren realised that while she doesn’t particularly care about the event, those close to her did. She wants to experience it not just out of respect for those days, but also for her own sake. While she’s been alive over a thousand years, she’s not really “lived”. Life’s passed her by. Meeting Fern and this 10 year adventure that she’s setting off on should do wonders for her.

Madhouse look like they’re back to their prime. The art, animation and storytelling is immaculate. The best they’ve done since Chihayafuru for sure. I got emotional several times during these episodes and I’m really looking forward to more.
Marinate1016Sep 29, 2023 12:22 PM
Sep 29, 2023 12:10 PM
Sep 2015
Quite interesting that the place that used to be described in ancient text as "heaven" is now the place of demon king's castle. Could it be that with so much time pass, the heaven was corrupted at some point, turning all the soul into demons? Or maybe it's already in a hellish environment since its beginning, but it's not that bad news since you could still meet souls at hell too, isn't it?
Sep 29, 2023 12:24 PM

May 2020
One big thing I have in common with Frieren: we both like to sleep. I guess living this long for an Elf also implies that more hours to sleep is essential lol Fern trying her best to wake her up and staying on foot is damn wholesome. So far they adapted one volume and chapter 8, Flamme gets introduced (she looks very nice ^^) and we'll explore more characters later on. Pretty sad to wait for more content but oh well... I just have to be patient for a week. You guys from MadHouse are doing amazing job, please keep it up. \\(⁠≧⁠▽⁠≦⁠)

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Sep 29, 2023 12:29 PM
Apr 2020
What a FANTASTIC adaptation of the manga! The pacing stays just as it should be. There is no rush when you're an ageless elf. The backgrounds are drawn beautifully and compliment the animation on top of it like a perfect image. Saying I'm looking forward to the rest of this series is an understatement. It is on track to beating Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for my #1 favorite anime.
Sep 29, 2023 1:23 PM

Jul 2011
What a waste of wood, burning all at once. The villagers really are living a good deforesting life to not use that wood.

Eisen be like: "I cant swing an axe that well anymore.", Eisen too "Let me naruto-run over this lake."
Sep 29, 2023 1:42 PM
Jan 2013
Reply to dior
@dior

The entire setting is supposed to be generic -- a hero saves the demon world with the type of party seen is hundreds of other fantasies/isekais. Those are a dime a dozen, even stories about what happens after the demon king is defeated aren't too rare. The thing is very few of these apply a slow, melancholic approach to story-telling and what makes it unique is that it takes the perspective of an elf that comes to the realization that living so long could have it's consequences. The hype is around the fact that people simply enjoy this type of story (and the animation/music is also great). If you think the whole cast has to die brutally to make it interesting, then it might not be your cup of tea.
Sep 29, 2023 1:44 PM

Apr 2022
10 years to get to heaven... A short journey, indeed.
Sep 29, 2023 1:46 PM

Apr 2022
Reply to BlichoBoy
What a waste of wood, burning all at once. The villagers really are living a good deforesting life to not use that wood.

Eisen be like: "I cant swing an axe that well anymore.", Eisen too "Let me naruto-run over this lake."
BlichoBoy said:
His axe is prolly pretty damn heavy
Sep 29, 2023 2:06 PM
Sep 2021
I enjoyed the first 4 episode of this which was a surprise to me. I know nothing of the manga and haven't heard of this until today so I didn't have any expectations going into this, but I know a lot of people did and were happy with the first results. So, I had to give it a go.. I'm glad I did.

The animation style is really beautiful and the story telling really does hit the feels and make you think.

We aren't here on this earth for that long.. a mere 90 years if we're lucky.. maybe more if you're really lucky. It's important to share that short time with people. Especially people you really care about.

I love the quote from Eisen in this episode because it's not the fact that we're going to die anyway so why bother making these memories.. but it's because we are going to die in such so we should. I think Frieren is starting to see this. It only took a mere 1000 years for her to learn this 😂, but she's learning.

This looks like it's going to be quite a brilliant series with I believe at least 28 episodes. Can't wait for the next episode to be released 😀. This will be a very popular anime for sure as time passes and more people realise its potential.

Good job guys on making the 4 episode release special a hit!
Sep 29, 2023 2:26 PM
Aug 2020
I started to read it before the anime, and i'm really satisfiedd with the adaptation

they did a good job

can't wait to see the story evolve...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Sep 29, 2023 2:28 PM
Aug 2020
Reply to Tobirama-Sensei
There was a lot of hype for this show but after watching the firsts four episodes, I can't say that I'm going to like this show.

To me, the firsts four episodes are a 7/10 overall : it was fine but nothing crazy..

I'll pass on this one, but I wish you to enjoy it ! ;)
@Tobirama-Sensei this is just the beginning,just enjoy and you will give it a 8 after...

Sep 29, 2023 2:39 PM

Mar 2023
This show is amazing. Something to believe in along the journey, a clear goal/purpose for Frieren, not just something to pass time.
Sep 29, 2023 2:59 PM
Oct 2022
Me gusto mucho este capitulo
Sep 29, 2023 3:09 PM

Apr 2014
Reply to Mizuwa
@dior

The entire setting is supposed to be generic -- a hero saves the demon world with the type of party seen is hundreds of other fantasies/isekais. Those are a dime a dozen, even stories about what happens after the demon king is defeated aren't too rare. The thing is very few of these apply a slow, melancholic approach to story-telling and what makes it unique is that it takes the perspective of an elf that comes to the realization that living so long could have it's consequences. The hype is around the fact that people simply enjoy this type of story (and the animation/music is also great). If you think the whole cast has to die brutally to make it interesting, then it might not be your cup of tea.
@Mizuwa Fair enough I just thought there was some sort of twist
Sep 29, 2023 4:29 PM

Mar 2019
What a lovely episode, it even left my heart warm.\(^ω^\)
Sep 29, 2023 4:54 PM
Aug 2022
I’m so god dam tired right now I feel like I’m about to drop my phone and just fall asleep.

I really should have left this until tomorrow to watch but screw it I thought I’d just watch it now.

Even though I watched the first 4 episodes with one eye open and my brain absolutely processing nothing I am definitely interested in the show.

Even though I’m incredibly tired I did take in what happened in the first 3 episodes. Although my brain was just entirely shut of for the fourth episode so I’ll probably rewatch it tomorrow.

Interesting start
Sep 29, 2023 5:23 PM
Sep 2021
Reply to otakuweek
@Tobirama-Sensei this is just the beginning,just enjoy and you will give it a 8 after...
@otakuweek I doubt it, never been a huge fan of this kind of shows, and the pre-hype people had about this show doesn't make me wanna get into it any further. I'll stick to my 7.
Sep 29, 2023 5:28 PM

Jun 2017
Woah this anime is really killing it, just amazing. Really glad I picked it up.
Sep 29, 2023 5:33 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to BlichoBoy

BlichoBoy said:

It makes me wonder just how strong he was in his prime and just how nasty the threats are out there if he no longer considers himself fit to fight them.
Sep 29, 2023 5:41 PM
Aug 2020
Tobirama-Sensei said:
@otakuweek I doubt it, never been a huge fan of this kind of shows, and the pre-hype people had about this show doesn't make me wanna get into it any further. I'll stick to my 7.

Because people read the manga…

Of course I will not force you, I thought that you love to watch anime like me.

At the end of the day, it depends of what was your expectations if having a good moment is not enough.

7 means good, but I also dropped some good anime before then I blame myself few years later.

I hope that you will fine anime that worth at least 8, tomorrow it “Ragna Crimson” ( I will start to read it now…

Sep 29, 2023 6:25 PM

Apr 2014
Beautiful adaptation so far. The overall comfy tone and ambience of the anime with Frieren journeying a familiar path with new people while reminiscing the past is wonderful.

Sep 29, 2023 6:38 PM
Jan 2018
It has the same feel when I read the manga. Perfect adaptation. Hope it holds up till the least episode
Sep 29, 2023 6:44 PM

Jul 2017
And finally caught up, this was really good again. Getting to know more of Frieren's master and her connection with Flamme, meeting Eisen again too was nice and now after having her meetings with Heitar and Eisen, she can move on to the next stage of her life with Fern, just a mere ten year adventure lol. I do like the subtle developments she did show compared to her past where she was not interested in humans at first, then became afraid to grow connections further after her journey with her party ended since they would leave her fairly quickly and for a very long time but that is just running away. It is good to see how much Fern has helped her alongside her previous party members to embrace human connections and not run away. The stuff the anime adapted so far has been great and the adaptation has been pretty flawless and superb so far so its good to see that. Hopefully the anime can make the weaker portions of the manga to be engaging and fun somehow to watch, but so far, the start has been blissful to watch. The production really has complemented the show well, from the backgrounds to the character movements and expressions to the music to give the series a lot of polish to it. Impressed. If it can maintain this kind of level, maybe its an Anime of the Year contender for me but it is still way too early.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Will Season 2 be just as good?

GoatPieceLuffy - May 22

35 by Scyon »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

825 by Dripz2012 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » "Sousou no Frieren" Adult Adaptation has been announced ( 1 2 )

deg - May 16

58 by Suprgamr123 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2023

331 by Fullmetaldak »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM

» A question about Himmel (spoiler)

ColourWheel - May 22

14 by im_amane »»
Yesterday, 12:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.