Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 22, 2:37 PM

Mar 2021
I have a simply question about Himmel. (maybe it was explained in the source material?)

I get it, Himmel is human so he was one of the 1st heroes to die in Frieren's party. But one thing that doesn't make any sense to me is when Himmel got older why did he suddenly turn into a tiny bald halfling? I mean the dude suddenly became shorter and smaller than even the dwarf Eisen. Heiter was human too but the dudes physical stature pretty much remained the same even when he died too.

Was there something just missed about how Himmel transformed into a human smaller than a dwarf?

ColourWheelMay 23, 1:18 AM
May 22, 2:47 PM

Aug 2018
I think it was just exaggerated, and I don't remember it being explained in the manga, so I could be totally wrong. But then again, I'm only 90 chapters in.
May 22, 2:51 PM
May 2023
As a manga reader that is all the way caught up, it doesn’t say anything about why himmel aged poorly. A lot of people on Reddit say it’s probably one of the perks of being a priest that heiter aged so well
May 22, 3:16 PM
Feb 2021
this is a very common trope in anime, and I'm surprised that you've never encountered it with 900+ anime entries.
May 22, 3:46 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to DoobieSam
this is a very common trope in anime, and I'm surprised that you've never encountered it with 900+ anime entries.
DoobieSam said:

Yeah, I am not buying it as a trope. "Old man tropes" in Anime are usually done for humor and I doubt the authors intentions for Himmel were simply done to make him the butt of a joke.

Even having around 900 entries in my personal list on MAL, I have never encountered such an exaggeration of an "old man trope" in Anime as badly done as in Frieren and it's inconsistent viewing her other party members as they aged. If it's so common go ahead and try to list a dozen examples where there is an exaggeration of someone's aging like they did in Frieren that was not to be used as some punchline.

Either way I simply was just wondering if there was something I missed about Himmel or maybe it was maybe explained in the source material. If not it's not that extremely important.
ColourWheelMay 22, 4:00 PM
May 22, 4:35 PM
Jan 2023
sometimes people shrink a little when they age obviously not to the extent himmel did so they probly just chose to exaggerate it and it's not uncommon for stuff like that to be exaggerated in anime either

I have not read the manga tho so who knows if there's a real reason
May 22, 5:55 PM
Feb 2021
ColourWheel said:
DoobieSam said:

Yeah, I am not buying it as a trope. "Old man tropes" in Anime are usually done for humor and I doubt the authors intentions for Himmel were simply done to make him the butt of a joke.

Even having around 900 entries in my personal list on MAL, I have never encountered such an exaggeration of an "old man trope" in Anime as badly done as in Frieren and it's inconsistent viewing her other party members as they aged. If it's so common go ahead and try to list a dozen examples where there is an exaggeration of someone's aging like they did in Frieren that was not to be used as some punchline.

Either way I simply was just wondering if there was something I missed about Himmel or maybe it was maybe explained in the source material. If not it's not that extremely important.

Why couldn’t it be a joke? He was a pretty boy as a hero, so him looking the oldest as they aged could be a (potentially) funny juxtaposition.

And, as others have pointed out, Heiter’s priesthood may be a reason as to why he managed to outlive Himmel, or perhaps it’s another juxtaposition, only this time with Heiter living a long life despite being an alcoholic.
May 22, 6:20 PM
May 2022
Remember that dark thing that Frieren had him keep that she came to retrieve sometime before he died? That’s my theory. The dark energy from it made him regress as time went on and it was there for multiple decades. Or it was just old man trope idk.
May 22, 7:03 PM
Nov 2020
Didn’t they imply that it had something to do with the demon horn or something that he was keeping for Freiren?
May 22, 7:34 PM
Apr 2024
Its more funny that way. Lol. Like Gintoki in Ryugujo arc.🤣
May 23, 1:45 PM

Nov 2020
Old people shrink but the anime generally enhances this fact and we have something like this xD well, there is also a theory that the horn infused with black magic that Frieren gave him will affect him, not only in terms of lifespan but also in appearance
May 23, 11:07 PM
Jun 2022
I guess it would be the paralel of grannies being short, bent and chubby.
It was.... weird the first few pannels/couple scenes, but after that I stopped caring.
May 24, 12:38 AM
Oct 2023
ColourWheel said:
I have a simply question about Himmel. (maybe it was explained in the source material?)

I get it, Himmel is human so he was one of the 1st heroes to die in Frieren's party. But one thing that doesn't make any sense to me is when Himmel got older why did he suddenly turn into a tiny bald halfling? I mean the dude suddenly became shorter and smaller than even the dwarf Eisen. Heiter was human too but the dudes physical stature pretty much remained the same even when he died too.

Was there something just missed about how Himmel transformed into a human smaller than a dwarf?

himmel was vain when he was young so I assumed they did it because it was funny
May 26, 9:16 AM

Sep 2016
ColourWheel said:

Himmel got incredibly sadge that Frieren, the love of his life, didn't visit him for 50 years, so he degenerated because of unhappiness.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 26, 12:40 PM
Jan 2019
I wonder about it all the time

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

906 by SuperAdventure »»
Yesterday, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShadowkillZ - Mar 15

385 by SuperAdventure »»
Yesterday, 5:25 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2023

443 by RainyhBunny »»
Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Which VA Frieren is better? ( 1 2 )

Ba-Cii10 - Sep 14

53 by YordaTrico »»
Yesterday, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 29, 2023

325 by RafaKojiro »»
Sep 18, 10:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.