Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 29, 2023 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
Attack of the giant tentacles! No but seriously, this episode gave an insight on Nurugi's character. She managed to overcome her fear and fate ultimately thanks to some encouragement. That gender reveal though LOL

I also like how Sagiri is able to decide how her path. While the past was still on her mind, she's able to speak her own thoughts. Genji had his own philosophy of course...

May 2020
This island is anything but ordinary, it’s already a fact at this point. Not just some unusual insects and titan-like monsters, this island is filled with a number of buddhist statues too, though there is a reason behind that and we’ll get to that in some due time, but for now it just adds more to the eerie feeling about this place. Can’t blame Sagiri for passing out after going through a hell lot in just a single day.

Though it ain’t just them experiencing hell, as now that the pair of Tenza and Nurugai are here, we even saw things aren’t normal even when you try to run away from this island, as the tides will make sure to leave you back to the island premises, that too if being lucky. I mean we saw what happened to that Asaemon, Kishou, who was lecturing Gabimaru and Sagiri just two episodes ago about whom to trust and whom not lol. Anyways Nurugai and Tenza made their way back to the island, with their resolve more steeled.

Have to feel for Sagiri, it’s just one man after another advising her to return back, giving the woman this woman that logic… only for them to eat their own words a moment later lmao.  By the way for Nurugai, may not appear that way but is a "she".

Jun 2019
More exploration of the island and how things work on the island. Sagiri is still trying to hold on to her duty to stick around with Gabimaru when everyone wants her to head home. So... let's see how well she holds on. Nurugai and Tenza finally appeared. I love this duo very much, even in the manga they were great together. They are so cute. Also, Poor Kishou.

And, some nice conversation between our two main characters. It was nice. Then, Sagiri flexed her skills a bit, and in the end, another cliffhanger as always. Genji...!!! It was another great episode giving more insights into our characters.
Apr 29, 2023 8:54 AM
May 2021
Getting more Sagiri backstory, shes developing!
Apr 29, 2023 9:00 AM

Jul 2017
Sagiri having a momentary flashback moment form being blanked out, and together with Gabimaru, Yuzuriha and the other Yamada Asaemon samurai executioners, they compile on what they know about the Elixir of Life, since they were not given much to start about finding it. The various statues and flower-birthed deceased humans offer a clue, but what they see and what they can surmise from it, is a subject of reality that is of unbelief, apart from their mysteriousness. Anywho, the Elixir of Life is DEFINTELY in the island, and they're cautious of their steps. Sagiri being the only woman executioner that Genji has his qualms about her being able to control Gabimaru, much less being forced to get married. Feels sexist, but that's the way of the Samurai, even back then.

Tenza with criminal Nurugai Sanka encountering abandoned ships in ruins, and creatures await their prey. An Emishi, one of the rebellion people of resurrectionists that defy the Shogunate Tokigawa's rule, and Teenza saving him to preserve the family bloodline, is reason of such. Kisho being killed and affected by the plant-inducing phenomenon, and Nurugai is facing his worst nightmares again with his family being killed by the Shogunate's people. Tenzu, feeling the hope that Nurugai wants to live on and go back to his Sanka mountains, races against survival and got out, tattered and injured from the ordeal. The realization that Nurugai is a girl, and the dumb Tenzu is still reeling in from his mission together with said criminal.

Back to the confrontation between Sagiri and Genji, the recommendation that Sagiri should leave the island, and fellow executioner Senta half-agrees that she should stay on to keep Gabimaru on close supervision. Gabimaru, having earned his humanity back thanks to Sagiri, knows what he's fighting for now: his wife, to face adversities head-on. And all about Sagiri, he at leas gives her a pep talk to help her steel her resolve as well. Especially looking onward towards her father's ideals that are just like Genji's proposal, she is prepared to throw her name and stake her pride as an inexperienced samurai.

Well...if they focused on their surroundings and reacted fast to the creature behind them, slamming Genji hard. What a brutal cliffhanger.

Aside from that, I'm loving Gabimaru and Sagiri's relationship even more, not just as criminal and executioner, but simply as people with a hope to live on.
Apr 29, 2023 9:05 AM

Jun 2015
Loved it. But this eps was chock full of the inescapable creep of US cultural output which screams, consume more or die
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 29, 2023 9:09 AM

Feb 2021
The trap reveal was surprising lol. She really deserves the pardon most out of all the criminals.
Let's gooo Sagiri! Liking her development
Apr 29, 2023 9:10 AM

Feb 2021
Rie Takahashi saying "dick" was the highlight of the episode. 
Apr 29, 2023 9:13 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Well considering Sagiri fainted don't think her father would be proud. Though given the poison i hope her pops understands. In the field they have to eat what they can make from whats around them after all. So the missing samurai become the new plants then such a grim fate. Looking at how she fared against Gabimaru last ep there's no way she can win against him if get's serious. Narugai's executioner sure is rather easygoing but the backstory sure did well to shine on their unique bond. Sagiri's surprise at Gabi's worry sure was fun. Given the time period the view that woman should stay at home was unfortunetly commonplace. The giant sure made one hell of an entrance. Overall a pretty fun ep that featured a good balance of character intros in the form of Narugai and her ex and character and lore expansion. Sagiri and Gabi's mutual self dev is always nice to see.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2023 9:22 AM

Aug 2017
I'd be paranoid to eat anything on that island or sleep. Imaging monsters creeping in on you while sleeping. 

You just knew he'd attack her after all that lecturing. 
Apr 29, 2023 9:23 AM

Oct 2017
I like the dumb samurai and girl duo, they are amusing. Will they live till the end though?

So much for Genji's big talks lmao, got wrekt by the big dude.
Apr 29, 2023 9:25 AM

Apr 2014
bye bye Genji, you were so annoying throughout the episode.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 29, 2023 9:26 AM
Nov 2020
i love my wife sagiri
"I can't trust a website where csm is rated higher than hxh"
- Akira Toriyama

Apr 29, 2023 9:27 AM

Dec 2020
We got a lot of sagiri in this episode her mind now is clear she wants to show everyone that a woman also can fo this job and she goes her way with gabimaru.
Lol we got a scene on the beach that was a random but yeah and a crazy cliffhanger.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Apr 29, 2023 9:41 AM
Oct 2016
Sagiri will live the way she wants to. Its exactly as she says, no matter whay your status is that's something every person desires. To live their life how they want, not by someone else's standards or expectations. Sagiri standing her ground as Genji incessantly wanted to her leave the island was awesome. Thinking back to how people looked at her during her childhood Sagiri couldn't go keep living like that. Either way she would be looked upon with discernment but at least living as a samurai is what she herself wants. Gabimaru and Sagiri has developed one of the best character relationships in the show. They support each other and make one another better people. We see how Gabimaru has changed from just his short time on the island so far. They're gonna need some strong resolve to stop the giant monster man who already killed Sagiri mentor and now Genji too. Gabimaru, Sagiri, Senta and Yuzuriha are gonna have to step up and beat this guy somehow.

Cutting away from the main group to focus on some new characters, Tenza and Nurugai. The former kind of a meathead samurai whom doesn't understand something that isn't obvious, but a good guy. Nurugai being from a group of Mountain people whom she inadvertently caused the deaths of. Another great look at a character wrestling with their will to live and other people's expectations. Its a common theme for the troubled people in this story to be faced with how they're living and if that's what they truly want. Nurugai making the decision to live and return to the mountains. Some pretty funny moments with those two and I liked them a lot.
Apr 29, 2023 9:42 AM

Jan 2009
damn the animation is so weak and below mid

i also thought that brown kid is a boy but damn they are a girl instead lol

Genji the sexist died easily in the end
Apr 29, 2023 9:46 AM

Mar 2022
I watched this episode with a friend of mine. I told him: I like that one girl, Nurugai. My friend said ''nahh thats a guy''. I told him ''no way, shes gotta be a girl''. Then she actually turned out to be a girl hahaha, it was great.
And letsgoo Sagiri, stay true to yourself <3
Apr 29, 2023 9:48 AM

Jun 2014
It must have been Misogyny Monday the way Genji was talking down to Sagiri and encouraging her to leave because this is "too much for a woman." Love that she found some new resolve after a surprising heart-to-heart with Gabimaru. Trouble shows up at the end, but I'm glad Rokurota got Genji out of the way lol, RIP bozo you won't be missed.

The cut to Nurugai and Tenza's dilemma was good too. Tenza is an idiot but he has a good heart, not wanting to see a little kid get executed. Lol at the gender confusion. Slower episode this week but still good.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 29, 2023 9:49 AM

Sep 2017
More backstory with random side characters off doing their own thing but I liked this group a bit more tbh. That one dude was spitting a bit too much misogyny for my 2023 anime so that giant monster had to come and take him out of the show real quick lmao. Kinda figured he was gonna get got as soon as he drew his sword on Sagiri and got all pissy after her proclamation.
Apr 29, 2023 9:49 AM
Oct 2022
The creatures don't have dicks XD
Apr 29, 2023 10:03 AM
Jan 2021
oh it's feel good this end with somthing-ji senpai killed
Apr 29, 2023 10:04 AM
Feb 2021
YESSSSS, NEW LOVERS
Apr 29, 2023 10:06 AM

Oct 2022
A cliffhanger ending.. , the show just keeps getting better with every episode.

Guess now Gabimaru and the other prisoner is going to duel to death. Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 29, 2023 10:19 AM

Mar 2019
This is themed like the walking dead but, instead of zombies we have animal human hybrids.
Apr 29, 2023 10:23 AM
Sep 2021
A lot of characters this episode were given focus like sagiri, tenza, Nurugai and each episode keeps on improving itself.
Apr 29, 2023 10:38 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Sagiri is really a good character. She represents the limits of human existence in an unreal world filled with monsters. I really liked that she stood up to the chauvinistic clan man and tmade clear to him that she's more than just a womb to carry on the family line.

It seems he won't live long enough to make her change her mind either, lol.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 29, 2023 10:46 AM

Jul 2021
the sexist fucker getting ripped was the only thing good about this episode and well the bonding (idk if we can call it that) between gabimaru and sagiri.

pretty average episode again. this is the true overrated anime.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 29, 2023 10:47 AM

Apr 2015
I like the dumb blond guy and black-haired girl duo, their chemistry already seems the best between a criminal and an Asaemon so far. Death flags all around though. That one guy who kept telling Sagiri to go back and repeating that she should just bear children as her responsibility as a woman was so annoying, glad he's most likely going to die. I was going to flip a table if he said the word "woman" one more time. Sagiri got some character development. An okay episode overall.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Apr 29, 2023 10:53 AM
Nov 2022
nothing much happened in this episode except sagiri getting ahold of herself
Apr 29, 2023 10:56 AM

Feb 2019
Not a lot of action this week. A character driven episode with some great development for Sagiri. Gabimaru has been an amazing influence on her and likewise. They form a perfect partnership and I like how it’s been just platonic/respect based instead of the two of them getting flustered and shit

We smoking that Genji pack tn, fuck that misogynist loser. Sagiri stealing his weapon was dope and then big dude literally tearing his mid section off was epic.

It raises the question tho if the island is surrounded by monsters how tf did they get that one dude back to the shogun who turned into flowers ..
Apr 29, 2023 11:07 AM

Jan 2018
Anemic production values this week :(
Apr 29, 2023 11:07 AM

Apr 2012
I always enjoy reading how slash shippers sing about the platonic relationship between a male and female character and then run off looking for "subtext" in any same sex relationship, immediately forgetting everything they wrote the first time. This anime is a classic example of this.
Apr 29, 2023 11:09 AM

Dec 2022
cant believe the giant guy killed him the giant guy is invincible i wonder how will that turn out
also i would like to take time to appreciate how deep the characters are they all have a story all have goal this is the part i like the most about this anime
Apr 29, 2023 11:11 AM
Jun 2022
I think it's kinda funny that the only two Asaemon that told Sagiri she's not fit for the mission because she's a woman ended up getting killed by the giant.
Apr 29, 2023 11:13 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
wow good speech from yamada in the end. Nice.
I liked this episode, the two new characters are also likeable.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 29, 2023 11:19 AM
May 2021
Some warrior he turned out to be, getting himself split open by bitching to her about dumb shit.
Well, he got hit and that was it.
Apr 29, 2023 11:20 AM

Dec 2017
This island is getting more and more eerie every episode, considering we still don't know just how big the island is. The chill camping moments are going to be comfy at least.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Apr 29, 2023 11:23 AM
Jun 2021
We got introduced to a new character this episode. Sagiri helped change Gabimaru and the ep ends with another criminal killing Genji
Apr 29, 2023 11:51 AM

May 2019
Another good episode with this one more focused on character development and introducing 2 more characters. I thought that Nurugai was a guy until the beach scene lol. Hopefully she survives since she really didn't do anything wrong (I know she lead the samurai to her village but her intention was to help).

The conversation between Gabimaru and Sagiri was nice and they are helping each other out as I thought they would. That giant that came out of nowhere at the end, damn. It looked like that giant attacked Genji after Genji took a swing at Sagiri so maybe he'll be fine but hopefully he won't go after Sagiri next.
Apr 29, 2023 11:55 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I'm glad that Sagiri stood up to Genji even though what he said wasn't wrong considering the fact that this story takes place in the Edo period which was ruled by the samurai government that is the Tokugawa shogunate. Women during that time didn't have a prominent place in society other than giving birth to children and in Sagiri's case she was an outsider for being a woman born into a samurai family and the daughter of an executioner which didn't allow her to make any friends. It was poetic justice that Genji was killed by the same criminal that killed her mentor who also doubted Sagiri so I liked how that conflict between Sagiri and Genji played out.

I already started shipping Tenza and Nurugai  after escaping from the Tentacle monster(the bane of my existence lol.) and I had a feeling that Nurugai is a girl.
Apr 29, 2023 12:04 PM
Feb 2019
Good episode but it should have shown my wife some more.
Apr 29, 2023 12:16 PM

Dec 2018
All characters that shown in the OP song are amazing. In this episode finally introduce the other two characters~~~ and they both are so cute together ~~~ just too bad she's still a kid... So I can't really ship them both to the fullest yet..
Kishou tried to go back home but got sting by the butterfly instead? Bad luck for him.

Sagiri is strong after all, she is just lacking of confidence... Sure she is a woman but who cares if she want to be a Samurai, she still can bare a child soon if she survive in that island.

There he goes, dead by the invincible huge criminal after busybody with Sagiri being a 'woman' .. so, how will Gabimaru and the gang kill this invincible dude? Can't wait for the next episode then~~

Apr 29, 2023 12:39 PM
Feb 2021
Esmera said:
I like the dumb blond guy and black-haired girl duo, their chemistry already seems the best between a criminal and an Asaemon so far. Death flags all around though. That one guy who kept telling Sagiri to go back and repeating that she should just bear children as her responsibility as a woman was so annoying, glad he's most likely going to die. I was going to flip a table if he said the word "woman" one more time. Sagiri got some character development. An okay episode overall.

You are very correct about those death flags. I think you can guess who’s gonna die in the next 2 episodes.
Apr 29, 2023 1:03 PM
Oct 2021
tenza & nurugai probably the most likable duo for me so far, but im sure i saw the guy unalived in the op sooo.. that sucks.. :)))
Apr 29, 2023 1:11 PM
May 2021
Bro got the guts slapped out of him 🤣🤣
Apr 29, 2023 1:12 PM

May 2018
I felt this episode was okay just wasnt as much action compared to the previous episodes

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Apr 29, 2023 1:14 PM

Mar 2017
Looks like no one’s leaving the island… yet another big problem the samurai & prisoners now face is how the hell they’re going to leave!

I feel like Sagiri is facing very real world issues in this fantastical setting. She has two roles that are conflicting within her; the role of a woman and the role of a samurai and how these two very contrasting roles can both be a part of her.

Glad to see Tenza & Narugai take the stage! They have a great relationship and there’s just something I particularly love about Tenza… probably how he lets his emotions dictating his actions where most samurai bury them down deep.
Apr 29, 2023 1:21 PM
Mar 2021
Don't hate this Anime but this seems like the most basic form of character writing. Give a character some generic sob story (in this case sexism) and then have them do some inner monologue about them being sick of people judging them and then bam, cool scene of them overcoming those critics and we have "character development". I mean, can't really say I expect much from a Battle Shounen but the fact this was hyped up as the best battle shounen gave me hopes it would be a pretty standard cliche show, which it unfortunately is.
kriissyy12Apr 29, 2023 1:42 PM
Apr 29, 2023 1:48 PM

Jan 2022
thebrentinator24 said:
It must have been Misogyny Monday the way Genji was talking down to Sagiri and encouraging her to leave because this is "too much for a woman." Love that she found some new resolve after a surprising heart-to-heart with Gabimaru. Trouble shows up at the end, but I'm glad Rokurota got Genji out of the way lol, RIP bozo you won't be missed.

The cut to Nurugai and Tenza's dilemma was good too. Tenza is an idiot but he has a good heart, not wanting to see a little kid get executed. Lol at the gender confusion. Slower episode this week but still good.

I mean, calling him a sexist is a cheap copout. I will say he was pushing it a bit too much, but he did have good reason. Even the other Samurai was in agreement. She was showing a lack of resolve, and her inexperience on the battlefield was telling. As for the baby stuff, it's not unreasonable given the context of the story.
Apr 29, 2023 2:33 PM

Dec 2018
a bit of simple philosophies and a lot of personal growth this episode. part of it feels like a story straight out of H. P. Lovecraft although he was never as good at characterization. also i'm more surprised that guy never noticed she was a girl and i like her simplicity like "i'm nakey so what" lol. i have a feeling we'll have some romance and a lot of good growth from them.
StateofOhayoApr 29, 2023 2:36 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2023

202 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 13, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2023

198 by xjxlii »»
Jun 12, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2023

243 by Lennygc »»
Jun 10, 9:21 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2023

325 by xZabuzax »»
Jun 10, 2:06 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 20, 2023

335 by xZabuzax »»
Jun 9, 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.