Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2019 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That Black Knight isn't messing around. Seems they had this episode with Gran confronting him to protect what he treasuress. Stakes were high with Lyria's life on the line.

I felt underwhelmed by this episode though. It didn't have as much as emotional impact imo compared to some of the others.
Dec 27, 2019 7:43 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I find this season really bad compared to the first one.
Dec 27, 2019 7:46 AM
Oct 2019
The whole season felt underwhelming compared to the first one, but I feel like they left off on a good note. The "main" conflict was dealt with in the last episode, so I was worried how they'd fill the time for the final episode, but it's mostly setting things up for the next season, if there is one.

In particular, the conflict between Black Knight and Orchis against Gran and Lyria. Orchis seems to like Lyria, and vice verse, but they must fight for unknown reasons. The backstory for Black Knight and Orchis. Something happened that irreversibly changed Orchis, and Black Knight tried to fix it, but seems to have given up hope along the way. Also curious how Black Knight grew up since then, but Orchis remains the same as she was in the flashbacks.

I'm starting to get really curious about Gran's father now. Both Noa, a Primal Beast, and Rosetta knew him, and the Erste Empire evil lady called him a "Primal Beast killer." Gran finally addresses how weak he's been for the most part. He has to get better if he's to face off against the whole Empire, and just as he's thinking that, Black Knight gets arrested. So that's the direction they're heading in.

Hopefully, whatever comes next delivers upon all these things they're building up.
Dec 27, 2019 8:09 AM

Apr 2010
Kuro kishi being a woman wasn't surprising, it was interesting to see some of her past tho.
As for the season it was ok i just hope there will be another season that's better than this one since the first season was pretty good.

The ending was pretty much a cliffhanger for a next season tho.
Dec 27, 2019 8:11 AM

Sep 2015
Episode 13 (Extra 1) will be centered on Beatrix, Zeta and Djeeta with Chrysaor's job.
https://twitter.com/anime_gbf/status/1210586129814052866

These last episodes have focused on what is the main conflict of the game, all of the above was nothing more than the tutotial of the game and from now on is when the story progresses to only one direction. Freesia's ambition to rewrite history is connected with Apollonia(Black Knight) and Orchis.

NayoutDec 27, 2019 8:16 AM
Dec 27, 2019 8:56 AM
Jun 2012
Aversa said:
Kuro kishi being a woman wasn't surprising, it was interesting to see some of her past tho.
As for the season it was ok i just hope there will be another season that's better than this one since the first season was pretty good.

The ending was pretty much a cliffhanger for a next season tho.

Cliffhanger ending was only to bost BD sales. To the time when third season will be officially announced third season it only wish. Cliffanger ending it not announcement of next season
Dec 27, 2019 9:16 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
As expected the empire's desire to take Lyria will never tire. The combo of Orchis's power and Apollo's skill with the blade makes them a potent foe. The insight into Orchis and Apollo's past though was pretty insightful. In the past Apollo sure was quite different in personality. Looks like Rosetta won't become a permanent part of the party just yet. Overall a decent ep that managed to end this arc well enough but also doing well in introducing new developments for existing characters like Apollo and Grans father as well. The final revelation about the trial was an interesting development. All in all the season's a definite 7/10 that while managing to build on existing characters with their backstory reveals also did well to show a deeper insight into the deeper goals of the empire. From the reveals looks like S3 will be a definite.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2019 9:25 AM
Sep 2015
Empire want Lyria and Gran still go to Empire court?
Dec 27, 2019 9:25 AM
Jun 2012
Shingster said:
As expected the empire's desire to take Lyria will never tire. The combo of Orchis's power and Apollo's skill with the blade makes them a potent foe. The insight into Orchis and Apollo's past though was pretty insightful. In the past Apollo sure was quite different in personality. Looks like Rosetta won't become a permanent part of the party just yet. Overall a decent ep that managed to end this arc well enough but also doing well in introducing new developments for existing characters like Apollo and Grans father as well. The final revelation about the trial was an interesting development. All in all the season's a definite 7/10 that while managing to build on existing characters with their backstory reveals also did well to show a deeper insight into the deeper goals of the empire. From the reveals looks like S3 will be a definite.

S3 will be definite when will be officially annoounced.
Dec 27, 2019 9:26 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
marconii2002 said:
Shingster said:

S3 will be definite when will be officially annoounced.

True though from the developments seen here i think there's a good chance there will be one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2019 9:39 AM

Sep 2015
phantomfandom said:

Yes, Freesia knew that Apollonia was acting for her own benefit.
Dec 27, 2019 10:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Quite underwhelming, to be frankly honest.

Interesting backstory between the Dark Knight and Orchis. Got to feel for the Knight there, she got her hopes up too high and so it hurt extra much as a result I reckon. She seems to be bloody powerful too but what was with that sudden Gran counterattack there. Major drop regarding Gran being the "Son of the Primal Killer", I wonder what that's all about. Curious on the past endevours between the Knight and Eugen too.

Happy end for Rackam and Noa, meanwhile. Seems like Rosetta won't be joining just yet too.

Interesting developments towards the end there. The Dark knight is somehow caught and off for the court, they go. Definitely setting up the groundwork for a possible Season 3, I guess.

Sadly, this season has been inferior to the previous overall though. Apart from the Op and some of the enjoyable character interactions, this has been pretty disappointing. Season 1 radiated this fantasy sort of feeling but that was absent here for some reason.

As such, I'll give this series a generous 5/10. Looking forward to more Djeeta for next!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 27, 2019 10:03 AM

Jan 2013
The season ended, and the only event I remember is the yandere chick.
Boring season.

Having the bajillion year gap between the seasons killed this anime.
Dec 27, 2019 10:43 AM
Dec 2018
Gran powerlessness shine through this episode. The next stage is Amalthea, a place where in main story feels that everything move a bit faster and more compact than usual. I hope they will get a better and more reliant staff if they want to bring all the battle to come into motion. Regardless, thanks for your work Mappa, thanks for all the free stuff cygames. Gonna wait for next season when they come.
Dec 27, 2019 11:30 AM
Jul 2019
Ya know IMAO they should've made Noa a female rather than a guy in a homo attire.

I kinda hate that Lyria doesn't wanna fight Orchis.

I wonder what history does Eugen have with Apollonia???
Dec 27, 2019 4:21 PM
Apr 2016
Horn_dawg_2019 said:

I wonder what history does Eugen have with Apollonia???

If i could guess its gonna be family relation
Dec 27, 2019 5:31 PM

Jul 2017
Damn.. This season was a mess compared to the previous one. The first episodes were really promising, but after that first arc, the story was so... not interesting at all? I just didn't enjoy following it, and so, i started to not feel that hyped for this show any longer.

7/10 for the first one. 5/10 for this one, really bland story, direction and middle/final episodes.
Dec 27, 2019 5:59 PM

Feb 2014
I think I disliked this season more so than the first one? Sturm is the only thing I care about in this show at this point.
Nice OP song too I guess.
Dec 28, 2019 12:28 AM

Dec 2013
phantomfandom said:

Exactly... I'm shocked that he's cooperating with these people at all

What next? Use the trial as yet another pretense to try to capture Lyria? Yeah... I would have told them to fuck off.

As for my thoughts on this season overall. I felt it peaked during the Vira/Katalina arc. Nothing after that really grabbed me. I am looking forward to whatever comes next, though.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Dec 28, 2019 4:17 AM

Jan 2014
some world building that the anime probably will/might adapt next season

phantomfandom said:

the crew of enforcers not belongs to the empire, they are 3rd party just like albion was (before Vira started her business with the empire, and enforcers are "stronger" than the empire),just instead of training soldiers they are like a police, Freesia probably just told them bk is destroying golonzo and betrayed the empire so arrest her (they changed a lot on this arc)

---

in overall they changed a lot of small things compared to the game, like almost cutted all info about grandad..., and honestly i am not a fan how this season went they should expand the world/the story not remove/replace things, 6-6.5/10 but with this season closing closer to 6, the op/ed was good, the ost basically just could be taken from the game (but they didn't used any hype/"boss" track like in last season finale), the world/backgrounds/airships looked great but i can't say the same for Gran's face
animad55Dec 28, 2019 4:22 AM
Dec 28, 2019 6:34 AM

May 2012
I hope it gets 3rd season

I want to see more of this Apollonia girl
Dec 29, 2019 9:28 AM

Feb 2017
the visual aesthetic entire seasons are unique, the problem is the music most of the time and the action not quite flashy, also i dont really like the direction of how they drag the episode, it is quite boring most of the time especially in this last ar of the season.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Dec 29, 2019 9:58 AM
Dec 2019
Gran want to get stronger? What is this a class change flag?
Dec 29, 2019 6:16 PM
Mar 2012
Wut, they keep fighting empire, now they happily go to be a witness on empire's 4th fleet request? Even if that island's not empire's, Gran has no benefit of going to a court. Also Apollonia gets arrested only now? not before when she's running her own plans? Then with her OP powers how'd anyone even arrest her?

They haven't explained any motive of Apollonia or Freesia/Empire. Their whole experiments seem to go well tho. Erasing history isn't explained and Gran is also confused.
Keeping some mysteries is fine, but dragging pacing without presenting much is not that good.

Seems Orchis lost memory/personality after an escape, and Apollo gave up. The backstories are good, it's the repetitive empire mouse chase that is horribly boring.
Vira arc probably the best, Zombie arc interesting despite messy writing, Noa arc's ok but much better if empire's goals get explained.
Pretty art, good teamwork on Gran's crew. Not sure I'd watch a continuation yet.
Dec 29, 2019 8:57 PM

Dec 2015
Ashhk said:
I find this season really bad compared to the first one.

Agreed. I can't remember what I gave the first season (something like a 7 probably) but this one was a solid 4 for me. The narrative style and overall motivations of everyone remained far too vague the entire season to have any interesting pull to what was happening, and every problem they encountered just seemed like poorly written sidequests instead of the main quest line (if we are using gaming terms). Overall it felt like a chore to watch. This last episode had probably the only truly interesting line of the whole season which was that Gran is the son a "Primal Killer" which sounded intriguing, but that was it. Everything else was just painfully bland which is disappointing because while the first season wasn't amazing I felt like it set up a good simple story that I was hoping would lead to an even better second season.
Dec 30, 2019 4:17 AM

Feb 2014
Nayout said:
Episode 13 (Extra 1) will be centered on Beatrix, Zeta and Djeeta with Chrysaor's job.
https://twitter.com/anime_gbf/status/1210586129814052866

These last episodes have focused on what is the main conflict of the game, all of the above was nothing more than the tutotial of the game and from now on is when the story progresses to only one direction. Freesia's ambition to rewrite history is connected with Apollonia(Black Knight) and Orchis.

Does this show have a LN or a manga?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 31, 2019 1:17 AM

Jan 2014
dasprn said:

its originally a mobile/browser game, currently ~131 chapter, the anime adapted the first 26-30, the story and events have english translation ingame

it has ln adaptation: i thinks its around vol 10, its adaps the mainstory but also added a few non mainstory character too,its adapted maybe 1-2 upcoming arc compared to the anime, i am not sure if anyone translating it

Manga: i think its recently started being translated to english, but isn't that far into the mainstory, there is also a few untranslated spinoff like younger Pommern's story, and others about popular characters
Dec 31, 2019 3:27 AM

Feb 2014
animad55 said:
dasprn said:

its originally a mobile/browser game, currently ~131 chapter, the anime adapted the first 26-30, the story and events have english translation ingame

it has ln adaptation: i thinks its around vol 10, its adaps the mainstory but also added a few non mainstory character too,its adapted maybe 1-2 upcoming arc compared to the anime, i am not sure if anyone translating it

Manga: i think its recently started being translated to english, but isn't that far into the mainstory, there is also a few untranslated spinoff like younger Pommern's story, and others about popular characters

Thanks.
I do play the game but don't have much idea on how it works yet. I only do the daily logins and sometime play some event just to get the character. So I still haven't completed the story yet.

Dec 31, 2019 12:14 PM

Apr 2015
dasprn said:
animad55 said:

Thanks.
I do play the game but don't have much idea on how it works yet. I only do the daily logins and sometime play some event just to get the character. So I still haven't completed the story yet.

Not to be rude, but the story is extremely long and difficult, can't blame you, though. I played the game just for the characters.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jan 1, 2020 1:34 AM

Feb 2014
Tropisch said:
dasprn said:

Thanks.

Not to be rude, but the story is extremely long and difficult, can't blame you, though. I played the game just for the characters.

A comrade in arms eh.

Jan 2, 2020 4:09 PM

Sep 2013
Everything but the faces were good, what a downgrade that was.
Gran getting inside the ship with support was nice, if only they did more cuts like that instead of being cheap.
Jan 4, 2020 12:15 PM

Jul 2008
This anime is standard meh 5/10. It's not good but not bad either.

It's perfect for setting on the tv as a background show while you are doing other things.

I doubt it gets a 3rd season but you never know.
Jan 5, 2020 9:12 AM

Nov 2016
Hope it gets 3rd season since it had really opened ending.
Jan 5, 2020 11:30 AM

Sep 2007
Theses artworks are coming from the Light Novel ? OO
Anyways, like the past of Orchis and Apollonia ...
In same time, yeah, i feel like it's was not like the season 1.
In another side, seeing Katalina and Vira in dresses was perfect.
Jan 6, 2020 5:36 PM

Apr 2015
Is this worth finishing or nah?
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jan 18, 2020 9:13 PM

Feb 2014
I don't know... I enjoyed the first season but this one was pretty boring.

The only nice thing that happened this season was Vira.

5/10
Jan 22, 2020 2:16 AM

Dec 2008
Did not blow me away, but Granblue Fantasy S2 was nice.
The crew was great and lovely again and Lyria as adorable as always.

Really liked the adapted stories, I already played in the smartphone game.
Vira, Orchis and Celeste arcs were nice , unfortunately 12 episodes aren't much,
but it was very well adapted nevertheless.

Too bad that season ends in between, just hope to see more adapted asap ^^
Feb 13, 2020 12:25 PM

Apr 2015
MAPPA did a better job with the technicals, directing and animating, but the story, for the most part, is worse, especially after the arc with Katalina. That had to be the best arc imo combining both seasons but the 2 arcs after that were just meh.

4-5/10 for season 1
5.5/10 for season 2
Feb 13, 2020 8:15 PM

May 2015
Mohammadalmannai said:
MAPPA did a better job with the technicals, directing and animating,…

This wasn’t better technically at all. This was a downgrade in ever aspect from the previous season... to each their own though.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Apr 2, 2020 1:17 PM

Apr 2012
Decent conclusion I'd say, as it layed the foundation for future developments: teasing Apollonia's backstory (young Apollonia was pretty moe), the involvment with Eugen, name dropping the title of Gran's father. Hype for season 3 whenever it comes.

Visually this season didn't have the charm of s1, but made up for it by having more impactful action. Narration-wise I liked the editing into arcs -- when s1 felt more episodic. Overall one of the best fantasy anime I've seen in years, none of the childish isekai adaptations coming close to this unfortunately.
Dec 21, 2020 8:14 AM

Jul 2015
Apollonia's attitude really have a big contrast there in Orchis's flashback lol. Pretty decent season, I kinda hope this gets a third season because I'm curious to Eugen's arc since not much on him has been revealed and also who exactly Gran's dad is considering he is known as the 'Primal killer'.

Mar 26, 2021 6:26 AM

Sep 2012
weird this page gave me webshield alert attack/threat blocked or something like that

Vi- said:
I don't know... I enjoyed the first season but this one was pretty boring.

The only nice thing that happened this season was Vira.

5/10

yea was bit letdown
Jul 20, 2023 8:10 AM

Jun 2007
Auugh. I just watched this and Christ, I've never wanted to reach through my TV and slap people silly so much lol. Lyria, get over it. You've only had meaningful interaction with Orchis for like one episode, and she point blank basically told you to go pound sand when you told them this ep you want to be her friend. She's attacking your friends and hurting them, can we please for the love of God actually fight back? It took her way too long to finally bring out some power of her own, and it got ganked by Orchis' summon. I'm going to assume it's one of those "she had no intent to kill" situations.

This show is one where I wish I could pull characters in from other shows to help the protags since they're pushovers, heh. Like grab Anos from Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha and watch him toy with the empire and their goons, wrecking everything lol

Kuro_Yuuki said:
phantomfandom said:

Exactly... I'm shocked that he's cooperating with these people at all

What next? Use the trial as yet another pretense to try to capture Lyria? Yeah... I would have told them to fuck off.

No doubt. I'd have been like yea, sure, I'll be there... then promptly ignored it lol. If he felt it was worth it on the chance it's legit and they can remove an opponent's piece from the board, I sure as heck would NOT be taking Lyria along yet I'm sure they'll all go, trusting idiots they are.

gophercg said:
Also Apollonia gets arrested only now? not before when she's running her own plans? Then with her OP powers how'd anyone even arrest her?

That alone would be a red flag to me, making me think it's BS and another attempt at a trap.
Aug 3, 2023 8:00 AM
Aug 2014
hopefully if it ever get's a season 3 it gets a new studio, everything this season was a downgrade, and HOPEFULLY they make gran stronger, in season 1 he was decently strong, but in this season he was just so damn powerless, it's time to hit that class change.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2019

66 by Kiikani »»
May 22, 2:27 PM

» What made this cygames adaptation flop that others didnt

cunnylicious - Apr 19, 2023

1 by official_brown »»
Apr 21, 2023 6:40 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2019

36 by cafekun »»
Dec 16, 2021 9:58 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2019

31 by NwAurion »»
Jun 21, 2021 2:33 PM

» Will this anime spoil the plot of the game for me?

Rojaseb - Jun 3, 2021

2 by Rojaseb »»
Jun 4, 2021 5:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.