Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 7, 2017 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
They aired two episodes back to back today.

I gotta admit, the scene with Casca being almost getting assaulted by those monsters was creepy until Guts came for a timely save.

There's also some pretty dark background storytelling. Episode began adapting from chapter 183 so the pacing feels pretty similar to the previous episode and some of the ones from season 1.
TyrelJul 24, 2017 8:02 PM
Apr 7, 2017 8:16 AM
Feb 2017
Two episodes today ? Great ! I wait the french sub now (:
Apr 7, 2017 8:46 AM

Sep 2015
unfortunately the animation still hasn't enough fps, but it is better than in the previous season. everything else was ok i guess. looking forward to it

Apr 7, 2017 9:19 AM
Sep 2013
I find the opening 2d animation so much better than the 3d animation that I wonder why have a 2d animation opening when it looks so much better and have a mainly 3d show which looks sub par.
Apr 7, 2017 9:31 AM

Dec 2014
The OP is really nice, sigh I still wish we had this in 2D animation. Anyway, this was quite a good episode.

They adapted Farnese and Serpico's past quite well, Farnese was quite the messed up lady.

Glad to see the group finally come together.
Apr 7, 2017 9:35 AM
Dec 2015
As loathe as I am to admit it, there's... some improvement. Very slight, but it's improvement. But it also might be due to the fact that we're just continuing straight on from Conviction.

Season one, we got like a fraction of Black Swordsman in a very disjointed and anime original way, and then we go right to Conviction. Terrible CG and the clangs aside, that was one of the main reasons why my hatred for Berserk 2016 burned so strong.

This episode was probably the best we've gotten thus far??? They actually did Farnese and Serpico's backstory and that whole portion of the episode was pretty okay.
Apr 7, 2017 9:49 AM

Nov 2015
So Farnese came back.

They showed her backstory quite well.

Apr 7, 2017 9:50 AM

Jul 2014
Another interesting episode, with some more development for Serpico and Farnese along with Guts going kinda crazy (seriously, what's going on with him this time?). Only complaint I would have is why they're all just able to randomly meet up like that; I know they've been looking for him and all, but it still seems way too convenient this early on. Oh well, I'll accept it as long as the story continues to develop in this interesting fashion.
Apr 7, 2017 9:53 AM

Jun 2014
Nice backstory on Serpico and Farnese. The Casca rape scene was pretty brutal, at least she was able to protect herself before that situation got too crazy. And what's going on with Guts right now? I'm going to go ahead and assume it has something to do with the Berserk Armor thing I've heard some people talk about.

I'm glad they aired 2 episodes today, that means this will probably end a week earlier compared to if they had only shown one episode, so getting through this quicker will be nice.
thebrentinator24Apr 7, 2017 9:59 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 7, 2017 10:36 AM
Mar 2017
Atavistic said:
Another interesting episode, with some more development for Serpico and Farnese along with Guts going kinda crazy (seriously, what's going on with him this time?). Only complaint I would have is why they're all just able to randomly meet up like that; I know they've been looking for him and all, but it still seems way too convenient this early on. Oh well, I'll accept it as long as the story continues to develop in this interesting fashion.

What happened to Guts at that moment and consequence of when that black beast takes control of the Guts, Since it is part of him and is getting stronger.
Apr 7, 2017 12:36 PM

May 2016
I can't stand Farnese. I didn't think it was possible to hate her more than I did in the last season but I guess it is. Idk if she's suppose to be like that then redeem herself later but she's seriously the worst.
Apr 7, 2017 12:40 PM

Aug 2015
Seems good so far, i got used to the CGI after the last season. The only thing that still bugs me are the facial expressions... they look really odd.

Farneses and Serpicos backstory was pretty fucked. I knew farnese had an unpleasant personality, but that... did she seriously drank his blood? Don't know how i should feel about her joining the party.

Griffiths dialogue was a bit disappointing. I hope there is something more than just to rule a kingdom, would be kinda dull if not.
Apr 7, 2017 1:12 PM

Apr 2014
was nice to get 2 eps in one day both really good eps alot of crazy things going on already but least now the group is formed now just for the green hair mage to join up

great ep cant wait for the next
"one step at a time"
Apr 7, 2017 1:13 PM

Sep 2016
I didn't remember serpico backstory, that's pretty cool.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 7, 2017 1:36 PM

Dec 2013
It's a step above 2016 so far. Hoping they keep it up for the rest of the season. Quite like the well drawn stills featured near the end of the episodes.
Apr 7, 2017 2:00 PM

Feb 2013
Farnese was really crazy.
Damn Guts, you left a mark.
Apr 7, 2017 3:05 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
GangsterCat said:
I didn't remember serpico backstory, that's pretty cool.

His story and relationship with Farnese is absolutely fascinating. He's one cool character.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 7, 2017 3:20 PM
Oct 2015
I liked the 2 episodes we saw today. I'm not quite so picky about animation quality like some folks here.

One thing they should have covered was to explain why Serpico is so good with a sword. One scene he is a snot nosed kid getting his money taken by bullies and next thing ya know he is a badass fighter.
Apr 7, 2017 4:10 PM

Oct 2015
Guts savage boob biting xD, 2 episodes nice start and that Farnese she was crazy as fuck LOL but i like her hahaha
Apr 7, 2017 4:11 PM
Jan 2016
Atavistic said:
Another interesting episode, with some more development for Serpico and Farnese along with Guts going kinda crazy (seriously, what's going on with him this time?).

That ugly wolf-like creature that shows up and seems to take over him is a representation of his beast-like side, the one that's only interested in the 'darker' aspects his psyche, such as revenge, violence and lust. It is when the "beast" takes over that Guts succumbs to his primal desires and the results are pretty much what you saw today: wanting to murder Casca for being a liability (and ignoring all affection he has for her) or wanting to rape Casca. It's kind of like him going berserk.
Apr 7, 2017 5:20 PM

May 2015
Serpico's backstory was quite interesting, considering we haven't seen much of him so far.

Apr 7, 2017 6:05 PM
Aug 2014
WUT! they aired two episodes, good thing I felt like rewatching ep1 again. Farnise-Serpico back story shows that she too crazy even for a passive one like him to cock-block the wincest himself. Speaking of cock-blocking, Casca almost got raped twice, and now I'm heading to "nhentai"
Apr 7, 2017 6:12 PM

Oct 2014
I wish the pacing was a little better in the Serpico and Farnese flashback, I remember it being pretty poignant in the manga but they rushed through it so much it was hard to get sucked in.

It was just so powerful, I was kind of disappointed in what we got.
ichiban_alexApr 8, 2017 6:11 AM
Apr 7, 2017 6:44 PM

Jun 2015
Wow, a lot of people that haven't read the manga in here. I thought that, after all the hate last season got, only the hardcore fans would keep watching it. Glad to see I was wrong.
Probably best episode as of yet. Liked the pacing, hope they keep it up.
AnotherGuyApr 7, 2017 6:48 PM
Apr 7, 2017 7:52 PM

Dec 2013
I didn't realise we were getting a double episode...

Flashback was really great. Farnese is crazy! I'm glad we still got it in the end.
Apr 7, 2017 8:12 PM

Dec 2012
Nice another episode.

Little flashback into Farnese & Serpico's past.

Woah Casca nearly got raped.

Ishidoro is back. Everyone coming together.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Apr 7, 2017 8:34 PM

Dec 2016
Farnese from Beserk is literally, a psycho, narcissist, and a masochist. She loves pain and inflicting pain she was literally biting her servant then swallowing his blood, offered herself to her servant and rode nude on top of Guts's sword(the literal bladed iron)
Apr 7, 2017 9:08 PM

Jan 2014
I love Serpico but I absolutely loathe Farnese.
Apr 7, 2017 9:08 PM

Aug 2014
alex_ichiban said:
I wish the pacing was a little better in the Serpico and Farnese flashback, I remember it being pretty poignant in the manga but they rushed through it so much it was hard to get sucked in.

Yeah, Serpico's backstory should have gotten its own episode. Not just the flashback though, but the Casca's rape lost a lot of weight as well with the pacing. The Hill of Swords scene also wasn't as powerful as it should have been, but I think that's more on the animation. They're trying to cover a lot of ground this season.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 7, 2017 9:33 PM

Jun 2010
Lots of plot jammed into one episode, but the handling of it was done better than previous attempts to do so. Episode earns a solid 4/5.

QuattroVaginas said:
alex_ichiban said:

Yeah, Serpico's backstory should have gotten its own episode. Not just the flashback though, but the Casca's rape lost a lot of weight as well with the pacing. The Hill of Swords scene also wasn't as powerful as it should have been, but I think that's more on the animation. They're trying to cover a lot of ground this season.

Overly fast pacing aside, can we agree that the flashback is probably one of the best parts of this adaptation so far? The only major problem I had with it was how it just glossed over Serpico's conflicted feelings towards Farnese and made it seem as though he just sees her as his "master". In the manga, it was far more evident that he's denying his and her feelings because of their familiar connection (which she does not know about). It's uncomfortable to deal with yes, but still an important part of his character.
Apr 8, 2017 12:24 AM

Mar 2017
Never liked Farnese, even after her "character development". But glad two episodes were released
Apr 8, 2017 4:41 AM

Apr 2011
I have to say, while I do find some sort of freakish charm to the crappy CG, the previews really lack any sense of style. I mean, seriously. The fuck is that shit?
Apr 8, 2017 5:56 AM

Aug 2015
Nice episode. Farnese is kind of annoying and now she wants to follow Guts...
Apr 8, 2017 8:02 AM
Oct 2007
This season definitely has better production value and direction. I hope that would keep up all the way since this season is going to have a lot more episodes compared to the last!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2017 9:50 AM

Jun 2013
i don't really like Farnese
Apr 8, 2017 11:52 AM

Mar 2015
Guts raping Casca yet people still falsely call the Hawk of Light and Savior of the World the villain in that story..
Apr 8, 2017 12:18 PM

Jun 2015
_HeroKenzan_ said:
Guts raping Casca yet people still falsely call the Hawk of Light and Savior of the World the villain in that story..

You're probably joking, but that's the whole point of Berserk post-conviction arc. Is Griffith still the villain of the story? Is Guts right in still seeking revenge? Still to be seen.
Apr 8, 2017 1:26 PM

Mar 2009
Farnese was so kinky back then. Nice to have double episodes. Didn't expect that. They did a good job with the Farnese and Serpico backstory.
Apr 8, 2017 6:43 PM

Mar 2011
That tease of decent 2d at the start -_- already had my hopes up. Why series like Drifters can afford to get a decent animation studio but not Berserk.
Apr 8, 2017 7:29 PM

Jun 2007
Mormegil said:
Farnese was so kinky back then. Nice to have double episodes. Didn't expect that. They did a good job with the Farnese and Serpico backstory.

I was surprised that the Fanese/Serpico flashback was 2D until the burning part at the end, iirc. Series a bit schizo in that regard so far.

Another very good, faithful episode. Enjoyed it. Just a pity this is where Miura wrote Berserk down the toilet: Guts gets his JRPG harem + shounen demon inside powa up, Farnese goes from psychotic slut to maternal and sod all of note happens bar black people dying. I even liked Farnese's kinky WTFness up to this point... 'tis distressing.

...oh well, maybe watching this will get me back into the manga. Would be ironic given the manga reader outcry over Guts' face actually looking alright CG'd. Mostly.

Apr 8, 2017 7:45 PM

Sep 2014
Good episode, I like it already, fairly new to Berserk, but an interesting anime never the less.

Nice to see some back stories, not everyday I see very disturbed individuals introduced that is not a joke.

Looking forward to next episode.
*Too complicated to cared*
Apr 9, 2017 2:07 AM

Oct 2008
we got to see the whole past of Farnese and Serpico, that was a twisted past flashback by the way!
Casca is now becoming uncontrollable!
Isidro, Farnese & Serpico finally joined allies with Guts!
5/5.

Apr 9, 2017 6:46 AM

May 2012
I did enjoy those two episodes more than the two episodes from attack on titan 2

Nice to see Griffith back. Also, Farnese back story was good

I hope this season is 24 episodes long
Apr 9, 2017 10:37 AM

Oct 2014
Positive: The rape scene with Guts and Casca was rather well shot.

Negative: Farnese's backstory was paced horribly. Despite not much content being cut (though what was cut was fairly important), they barreled through everything without any reason or rhyme. It feels as though they wanted to showcase Farnese's tsundere and yangire traits for the fetishists.

I wonder if they're gonna try and adapt all 150+ chapters of the Hawk of the Millenium Empire arc in a single cour or if they'll stop before the chapter of Falconia or somewhere close to that.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Apr 9, 2017 5:07 PM

Apr 2009
Really good episode, Farnese and Serpico's backstory was intriguing although it fumbled a little bit at the end. She burns down her mansion... and then is leading troops. Huh?
Apr 9, 2017 6:48 PM

Mar 2010
Ah I forgot so many minor details, but I remember all that happening in one way or another. Great to see so much progression.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 9, 2017 7:17 PM

Jun 2015
bl00rg said:
Why series like Drifters can afford to get a decent animation studio but not Berserk.

I'm guessing that's because Berserk can't be marketed to a broad audience (because of all the innapropriate content), so it's bound to get late night time slots which almost no one watches. This means it can't generate as much revenue from ads as other shows, so the production company has to work on a tight budget in order to make ends meet.

Toa_of_Gallifrey said:

I wonder if they're gonna try and adapt all 150+ chapters of the Hawk of the Millenium Empire arc in a single cour or if they'll stop before the chapter of Falconia or somewhere close to that.

Depends on the number of episodes in the season. For a 12 episode season it'd be nice to end after the 1st battle with the Berserker Armor. A 24 ep season ending with Falconia would be a little too rushed but could work too, but then what after that? An entire season for the Sea God arc??
AnotherGuyApr 10, 2017 6:29 PM
Apr 10, 2017 4:39 AM

Apr 2016
this shit gotta be trolling its 2d befor the end of the opening then its that trash cgi
Apr 10, 2017 5:17 AM

Feb 2013
They change Farnese's eyes.
Titan of 20+ virgins club.
Apr 10, 2017 4:53 PM

Mar 2011
AnotherGuy said:
bl00rg said:
Why series like Drifters can afford to get a decent animation studio but not Berserk.

I'm guessing that's because Berserk can't be marketed to a broad audience (because of all the innapropriate content), so it's bound to get late night time slots which almost no one watches. This means it can't generate as much revenue from ads as other shows, so the production company has to work on a tight budget in order to make ends meet.

Toa_of_Gallifrey said:

Depends on the number of episodes in the season. For a 12 episode season it'd be nice to end after the 1st battle with the Berserker Armor. A 24 ep season ending with Falconia would be a little too hurried but could work too, but then what after that? An entire season for the Sea God arc??

yeah but wasnt drifters at night time slot as well? it was just as much gore as berserk, if slightly less nudity. I would rather have them censor some nudity and have decent animations. Can only hope eventually theres a good quality movie once the manga gets completed (hopefully it does get completed before the guy dies lol)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2017

85 by Revanant1999 »»
Jan 25, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Jan 20, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:08 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2017

102 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 18, 2023 1:02 AM

» 3rd season?

Arddaa52 - Jul 5, 2021

19 by Amirsalar88 »»
Jul 15, 2023 9:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.