Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2017 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a bad stepfather.

Man this show always brings out the worst of human behavior. At least we got guys like Heizou who can make a difference in their world. What a hero especially in saving that young girl in the river.
Feb 21, 2017 11:43 AM

Jun 2015
What a terrible stepfather. He was constantly beating his son and the wife and villagers wouldn't do anything. Otomatsu blames Heizou for making him the monster he is. It was a terrible thing he said to Ojun. She almost drowned to get a fish but Heizou saved her. It's sad Otomatsu accepted death, but he had enough. His last wish being hugged by Heizou was emotional.
Feb 21, 2017 1:57 PM

Nov 2015
Telling Ojun the truth was such a dick move. Anyways, RIP Otomatsu.

Feb 21, 2017 4:13 PM

May 2015
Even though Otomatsu pulled such an ass move, I still felt really sorry for him. What a horrible stepfather and past he had... RIP. That last hug was quite the emotional moment.

Feb 21, 2017 9:16 PM

May 2015
What If?!

And while it is true there are so many things out of MC control (he wasn’t there to save him for a second time or third time), there are so many more things in his control (he offered the kid/thief a new beginning but he declined)… He was a victim of abuse, shuffled through a difficult foster care system (stepfather)... He was a warrior in a battle he was grossly under-prepared for and often times, he was fighting the battles alone (her mother only protected him once and then reverted back [when he killed her $$$ supporter because of a boiling point of constant abuse] saying “she wished he never be born”)... Without guidance and love from an adult who goes all in to prove there is someone who will unconditionally love them and keep them safe, what is the future like for that child?

This episode answered that with both sides of the coins one represented by Ojun and the other side represented by Otomatsu.

Man, I’m going to repeat my initial statement: What if?!
Feb 21, 2017 9:47 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Young Otomatsu sounded a lot like Naruto to me lol

I felt bad for Otomatsu when he was younger (His mom is fucking brain dead too) and I'm glad that he killed his piece of shit step dad

But his actions as an adult were pretty despicable, especially what he did to Ojun....But even so I wish that he chose to live because I feel like he had the potential to better himself and become a pretty great person in his own right

Either way, RIP kid
Feb 21, 2017 10:31 PM

Dec 2014
Tokoya said:
Young Otomatsu sounded a lot like Naruto to me lol

I felt bad for Otomatsu when he was younger (His mom is fucking brain dead too) and I'm glad that he killed his piece of shit step dad

But his actions as an adult were pretty despicable, especially what he did to Ojun....But even so I wish that he chose to live because I feel like he had the potential to better himself and become a pretty great person in his own right

Either way, RIP kid

Seconded, him killing his dad was good but his mom's reaction to that was stupid considering that she herself was being beaten up just before that.

Good contrast between Ojun and Otomatsu this episode, showing how two similar people with different upbringings came out as completely different people. @Roy_Focker summed this up really well.
I almost teared up when Ojun was apologizing to Heizo for not being able to get the fish. :(

Too bad that Otomatsu chose death, I suppose he at least died with some dignity.
Feb 22, 2017 1:11 AM

May 2015
Oh damn, this episode really got me. I think Otomatsu could have turned over a new leaf and used his talents for good, it just sucks that it came to late.
Feb 22, 2017 2:57 AM
Oct 2007
Surprisingly a very good episode. I would have supported Heizou if he force Otomatsu to live on..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2017 3:08 AM

Dec 2015
Good parallel. Getting this much focus on Heizo and his family is a surprise to me. It's obvious the series (novels or TV) had those segments but I thought they would be ignored in such a tiny format. Will this become a trend for the second half ?
This episode also reminded `me of the problem I have with this show's chara-design (when the age of the hero's wife was mentioned): I don't think the age of the characters (above 30) is well rendered, past a point they all look as young as their neighbour.

5/5
Rei_IIIFeb 22, 2017 3:12 AM
Feb 22, 2017 6:55 AM
Jun 2016
Just a question....
WHY ISN'T ANYBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS SHOW??
Feb 22, 2017 8:26 AM

Aug 2016
Amazing episode, definetly my favorite, 10/10

This really deserves a higher score than 7/10
Nanika ga Okashii
Feb 22, 2017 6:42 PM

Jun 2014
This was a really great episode, and it perfectly portrayed how two people in similar circumstances can turn out to be complete opposites depending on their own situation. Ojun has foster parents that actually care about her, while Otomatsu's foster parents didn't give two shits about him, and look how they each turned out. Pretty sad that Otomatsu chose to die, but his final moments with Heizo were touching.

And @Tokoya young Otomatsu had the same voice actor as Naruto so that explains the similarity in their voices.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Feb 22, 2017 6:50 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
thebrentinator24 said:
This was a really great episode, and it perfectly portrayed how two people in similar circumstances can turn out to be complete opposites depending on their own situation. Ojun has foster parents that actually care about her, while Otomatsu's foster parents didn't give two shits about him, and look how they each turned out. Pretty sad that Otomatsu chose to die, but his final moments with Heizo were touching.

And @Tokoya young Otomatsu had the same voice actor as Naruto so that explains the similarity in their voices.
Lmao, I knew it was Junko xD
Feb 24, 2017 2:53 AM
Sep 2015
Really sad episode this week. I liked it, but that was one hell of a miserable life Otomatsu led. Wish he'd chosen to work under Heizou and maybe found some happiness.
Sandwich-donoFeb 24, 2017 3:05 AM
Feb 24, 2017 2:54 PM
May 2016
It was a great episode , it was so sad that Otomatsu has to endure the pain x3 after Onihei's action :( even his mother was a dick :'( making him a dick too .. anyway the ending was sad but it was the most logical one ! and I was satisfied , that anime is so good , it's the best one this season
Feb 25, 2017 6:47 PM

Mar 2009
Ehh. This episode was way too forced and melodramatic. Some moments were downright silly at times, like Otomatsu yelling at Onihei's daughter.
Feb 26, 2017 6:37 AM

Jun 2013
Worst of all is mother and not stepfather. She who chose this kind of man, didn't protect her son, didn't support her son when problem was solved, and denied him.
Feb 26, 2017 6:43 AM

Nov 2011
It is the first time when I look Onihei, I cried, albeit briefly. The narrative is always pretty darn quick in pace and succinct, but the final with Heizo embracing Otomatsu, is damn sad and touching that I could not stop myself from crying, it's true what someone said on the subject, without love and without a guide , what it is the fate of a person. Heizo, no excuses and does not seek to avoid his faults and proves to be a great person.
Albeit dramatic, it was a Mr. episode.
Feb 26, 2017 2:02 PM

Jan 2014
Wait,.. Onihei's wife is well past forty?

Where does she buy her skin cream? Imma get that for my mother's birthday!

88expert said:
Just a question....
WHY ISN'T ANYBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS SHOW??

Not enough moe and boobies, main cast older than sixteen, too difficult, too realistic art style, can't handle jazz.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 26, 2017 8:48 PM

May 2014
Easily the best episode of the series so far.

I like how it addressed the nature of parenthood- biological family or even how long you've known a person means little to nothing when it comes to who supports and cares for you. Otomatsu met Heizo, what, like 3 times in his entire life & he had more of an emotional connection to him than his real parents or his abusive step dad.

My love for Heizo was reinforced this episode too- he's just so nice! Not in the Gary Stu, self-righteous hero of justice kinda way, but in the wise and badass but somehow still adorkable & non-judgmental way. The type of guy who would see you trying to steal something, but instead of punishing you would just give you money to pay for it instead.

Also wasn't expecting this story to end so differently than the others- I honestly thought that Otomatsu was gonna join Heizo's team, so I teared up a little when he chose death & said he'd just had enough of living.

Really touching episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2017 8:11 PM

Oct 2008
This show really has a lot of values & wisdom!
5/5.

Mar 3, 2017 9:01 AM

Oct 2014
Despite being right up my alley, I hadn't been able to really get into this show until this episode. Probably gonna binge rewatch it when it's over.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Mar 14, 2017 9:24 AM

Jan 2015
I like how his memory got triggered with pieces of broken ceramics. How did he remember his exact name tho? LOL. He must've met thousands of people by now, you can't remember all the names of everyone, but somehow he rememberd his name.
Damn that poor kid though, so many bruises... Imagine coming back home and looking at your father and get beaten for this in his age too. I expected that he would kill him, mother's reaction tho... poor kid.
Loved seeing caring side for his daughter from Onihei. that heartwarming moment was nice <3
Too bad he chose to die, i would love him getting reformed and finally seing some love from someone.

Anyway the episode really showcases how when you are raised in a horrific situation, being hated, beaten results in being a criminal or worse. but if you are raised in warm atmosphere with love like Ojun you will go towards a nice path
May 11, 2017 5:51 AM

Jan 2013
Oh hi there Naruto! <sorry I just had to>

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Jun 13, 2017 6:50 AM

Mar 2015
Wow poor kid, shame he went out the way he did
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 1, 2019 5:56 PM
Jul 2018
And I thought my uncle didn't pull punches when I was a kid lol

Otomatsu is basically japanese Wilson Fisk except his mother rejected him if you think about it. Although his personality is brash instead of scary calm.

Fantastic episode. 4.5/5
removed-userMay 1, 2019 6:00 PM
Oct 20, 2019 4:26 AM

Jul 2015
Otomatsu had a pretty shitty childhood, I blame both his mother and that guy as the reason why he turned into a monster

May 30, 2020 12:26 PM

Mar 2018
Fantastic episode. Absolutely fantastic. This show deserves so much more love and recognition.
Jun 5, 2022 9:07 AM

May 2012
I hate the mother. She watch her son getting beaten and not do anything...... She is the only one that should be executed

More topics from this board

Poll: » Onihei Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2017

49 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 14, 2023 3:28 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2017

52 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 14, 2023 2:58 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2017

95 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 14, 2023 2:29 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2017

54 by alpo42ab »»
Oct 21, 2022 6:10 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2017

32 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Nov 1, 2021 8:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.