Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 21, 2016 7:06 PM

Aug 2009
Friggin' epic show...watched it for the 2nd time now and I'm just as impressed as the first time :'-) Oh, Nono, I love you! x)
Apr 7, 2016 2:38 AM

Jul 2013
Didn't expect that they are the part of people who welcomed Noriko :O
So Gunbuster 1 & 2 both were ended in the same timeframe... That's a really nice way to wrap things up.
Apr 17, 2016 4:01 PM

Feb 2008
It's probably better if you don't watch Gunbuster, since it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth after Gunbuster. After Gunbuster, this just feels really dumb and mediocre, especially the characters that try to have more depth but fail at doing so.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
May 8, 2016 5:15 PM

Dec 2014
Ohhhh that ending though. But that's because I loved Gunbuster not because I liked Diebuster. I found this boring and to not even hold a flame to Gunbuster. Which is a bummer because that ending was epic.

5/10
Jul 28, 2016 8:08 AM
Aug 2013
this is my second time watching it, the last time I saw it was 10 years ago. Back then my expectations for a Gunbuster sequel were high and at the time I felt disappointed by it. Watching it now though, I have to say I was totally wrong. While it may not ever be a classic in the way the original was, it was still highly enjoyable purely for how crazy it is.

Tsurumaki's works always seem to be hard to understand if you approach things literally, perhaps its intentional. The original Gunbuster set out the rules of the universe so it was clear what can and can't happen. But in Diebuster there seems to be no limit, so when Diex-Nieuf uses Jupiter as a grenade, or they turn the Earth into a suicide weapon, you just accept that it can happen because nobody said it can't be done in the first place. If an episode 7 was allowed to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck a chain onto the Sun and used it as a wrecking ball because nobody said it can't happen!!

The first three episodes almost didn't need to happen, at least they could have condensed it down to 1 and a half episodes (getting rid of the Tycho stuff). The first three episodes of the original Gunbuster were similar, and yet it helped us to get a feel for the relationship between Noriko and Kazumi. While Diebuster I feel should have had more scenes between Nono and Lal'c, as asides from the first episode I don't feel they had much of a connection at all.

The highlight of the series seems to be episode 4 where the twist with Nono and the aliens is revealed. There are still a lot of things I didn't understand well, like why the topless lose their power when they age (I assume for the same reason kids are always mech pilots in anime... just coz), or what I was supposed to take away from the lark/crane theme clearly I didn't pay attention there. The fact that they used basically the same end scene as the first series and it was still emotional was a really nice touch.

Aside from that, it definitely is a classic Gainax show, and a sad reminder that they no longer make series like this anymore.
Jul 28, 2016 8:19 AM

Sep 2015
This was a really powerful finale, that I think ultimately brought both this particular OVA and the Buster series as a whole full circle. One of the major ways it accomplishes this is by moving the setting back to Earth. The bulk of the beginning of the episode is Lal'C, visiting the Fraternity the shadowy guys in charge on Earth. They task her with a risky plan, using the Earth itself as fuel for an explosion that will take out the Kaijuu. One of my favorite parts of this really impressive finale is the multiple listless shots, of Lal'C staring off into space (particularly the one with the street lights flashing by in her aviators). She feels like Nono has abandoned her, and also like she's let Nono down. I think it's also a saavy visual representation of depression, similar to what we've seen in other Gainax series like Eva and FLCL.

I loved the Fraternity's plan which was gloriously over the top. Have Lal'C and Dix-Neuf literally pull the Earth in a crazy harness to the kaijuu where it will be blown up. It's a cool memorable shot, and even if it's kind of a stupid impossible task you can't help but feel the weight of it that this is really goodbye to Earth. Nono eventually shows up in her goddess form, and attempts to stop them from throwing the Earth away leading her to slug it out with Lal'C. I'm such a sucker for scenes like this. Characters who are hurt and confused over being abandoned so lash out violently. Especially when the beating recipient smiles sadly/knowingly during it.

In the end Nono comes through. Realizing the alternative is the Earth's destruction, she gives up her life force in order to destroy the beast. I never expected to get such feels from this character. I think a major part of it is Lal'C visiting the old farmer who found her earlier in the episode. This really drove home a lot of the themes we've seen with the character, like her desire to just be normal. It also had a powerful full circle effect, as we've barely seen the farmer or his dog since episode 1. But the real clincher, one of the most beautiful scenes in all of Diebuster that had me on the verge of tears was Nono and Lal'Cs goodbye. It's a powerfully written and delivered monologue, one that by calling back to something Nono's wanted more or less from the beginning (to visit Lal'Cs home on Earth) is able to convey an upsetting sense of loss. She'll never go to Earth, though she can picture what her visit would be like clearly. And after sacrificing herself to save it, there's something so cruel and tragic about that.

I had my problems with Diebuster, even moreso than its predecessors I think it's hurt by rampant ecchi and fetishism. But it's also better than its predecessor in a lot of ways. It's visually exciting both its backgrounds and its many killer action scenes. It has a cool soundtrack including a bright and peppy OP and a more subtle and soulful ED. But moreover it has its own unique, and confusing at places but ultimately well realized story. One that is very much its own thing, while containing cool overt references to Gunbuster. The fact that it's final scene is the same as the final scene of Gunbuster, just from the Earth's perspective this time was inspired. I kind of wanted to see Noriko and Amano again but it's a solid decision not to actually show them. For all of its flaws I really loved Diebuster, a little more than Gunbuster and it definitely sits high in the Pantheon of Gainax to me. While imperfect I can't help but give it a 10/10.
SubscriberSunJul 28, 2016 8:23 AM
Sep 17, 2016 3:44 PM

Feb 2015
So this wasnt a sequel after all, it was happening somewhere in that 12000 year gap in the first Gunbuster... THEY LIED TO ME!

The lightning double kick was amazing, I just wish this anime had more episodes.
Sep 18, 2016 1:08 AM

Jul 2014
@iDensity
I was going to write: "What are you smoking dude, I want that stuff too!" :-)

But technically speaking you are right, this is not a direct sequel. The story is set few years before Noriko and Kazumi returned to Earth.
mozgowSep 18, 2016 1:13 AM
Sep 23, 2016 2:51 AM

Oct 2011
Wow... Just WOW...
the Ending left me speechless.. i just keep smiling the whole time watching this final episode..
damn Gainax and their Mind Fuck up Ending, Kudos.
Nov 24, 2016 10:20 AM

Aug 2015
Meehhhh , i like Gunbuster more .

5/10 . WHY Gainax WHY!!!
morikaruNov 24, 2016 10:33 PM
Nov 28, 2016 6:21 PM

May 2015
This is definitely the precursor of Gurren Lagann. Whew, that ending of Diebuster caught me off guard. It was a fun ride, but I do prefer Gunbuster over Diebuster.
Dec 2, 2016 5:37 AM

Aug 2014
It took me 6 episodes to finally realized that Gainax chose french aka the language of love for the numbering of the Buster Machines, to go with the suggestiveness of the names lol. (Topless, Fraternity, Exoctic Drive etc...)

I'm probably in the minority when I say that I enjoyed this a lot more than the prequel. It's just a shame that we didn't get to see Noriko and Nono finally meet up with one another.
7/10
Jan 8, 2017 9:09 AM

Dec 2011
Wow! This ending is so beautiful! I love it when they tied it to Gunbuster ending, Though I wish Nono would survive...

Imo the character Nono is better than Noriko from Gunbuster... Not to mention the characters is Gunbuster always have an issue with their sudden change in personality, I think Diebuster handle the characters' personality and relationship better than Gunbuster's characters since they are more constant throughout the series.
Mar 4, 2017 9:05 PM

Sep 2012
That was kind of a mess. Quite the asspulls in the last 3 episodes.
Mar 6, 2017 9:22 PM

Mar 2012
I didn't really care much for this at all, the lame comedic atmosphere that took up half the show didn't help that. I understand that there would be conflict still even as noriko and kazumi went on their 12k year mission, but still...all Diebuster did in the end was diminish the significance of noriko and kazumi's sacrifice, which was probably Gunbuster's one saving grace...

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
May 1, 2017 2:09 PM
Jul 2013
I was expecting great things after watching Gunbuster, but was disappointed with Diebuster. Unrealistic characters, no real character development, barely any tension at all, reducing the scientific edge to science fantasy, so many unexplained things. The only thing going for it was the animation. 5/10
May 24, 2017 11:51 PM

Jan 2016
This show seems to be going over everyone's heads, you guys don't seem to be taking the intent of this series into account. This isn't supposed to be a serious, proper sequel to Gunbuster, this show was an event anime celebrating the 20th anniversary of Gainax. That's why it has almost nothing to do with Gunbuster proper, that's kinda the joke. It was just a pretense to make something with mind-blowing animation that's chock full of Gainax jokes and references. It's like you guys are watching a horror movie and giving it a low score for not being a comedy, it was never trying to be that in the first place.
Jul 2, 2017 9:39 AM

Jul 2016
That ending, wooooooooow.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Aug 3, 2017 1:05 PM

Feb 2015
Gurren Laggan
>moon became a spaceship
>and that spaceship became a huge robot
>and that robot became bigger. bigger than galaxy
>fighting the lass boss with throwing galaxy at each other

on the other side:
>Manage to endure a beam that can destroy a planet
>cut a planet into half
>can create so many mini blackhole at the same time
>help her friend throwing jupiter's core into a creature that is bigger than earth.
>her friend is moving earth in a light speed.
>she showed up in a size of a moon.
>kill the creature which is bigger than earth with her friend
>the black hole is splitting apart which will cause a big bag
>she stop the big bang on her own (i assume)

gurren laggan is crazy but we are talking about something or someone stopping a big bang. not throwing a galaxy. FUCKING CRAZY AS FUCK AND I LOVE IT A LOT.
9/10

although the moe things is too many imo.
that buster 1 and 2 coming back at the end. now i regretted that i didnt watch gunbuster first
Aug 26, 2017 11:28 PM

Aug 2014
prequel was better but in general it was a massive mindfuck of a series..
Nov 3, 2017 12:52 PM

Apr 2014
still liked the original more over all but this definitely had a better ending this time around didnt care for the first 3 ep but loved the final 3 eps

but that ending was perfect loved how this was the time they warped to in the end of the first series which made the ending for this even more amazing imo though sadly no more Nono though

Nono made DieBuster great her and that ending song/video couldnt skip it was just to good

the only thing i wished for more was a bit more for the ending like being able to see Noriko again seeing them land and seeing their reactions to the new world they've come to so far in the future

anyway great end, truly loved how they connected everything
DazeFireNov 3, 2017 12:57 PM
"one step at a time"
Dec 7, 2017 1:50 PM

Nov 2017
What a letdown. Absolutely gorgeous visuals with hints of underlying brilliance absolutely bogged down by its presentation with characters I don't care about.
Dec 13, 2017 2:48 PM

Oct 2015
Too bad Nono never got to welcome back Noriko, too bad she died but she died protecting the world. I loved how they linked this one to the first one, how brilliant. I really really enjoyed this one and also it means it was Lal'c and others who placed those lights to welcome Noriko and Kazumi from their long years missing in space.

I would say this was brilliantly done because I never expected that outcome, I just thought it was unrelated though. On the last note why did Nono or buster machine#7 abandoned that mission from the previous episode, I still can't put it together why to only appear in this mission.

Anyway good animation and good story coupled with great action and enjoyment. 7/10.
lihle808Dec 13, 2017 2:54 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 26, 2018 6:13 AM
Dec 2014
One of the most WTF is going on anime I have ever seen. Honestly no idea what the hell the plot was, everything was moving way too fast for me. It was pretty and entertaining though. And nudity is always nice.
Apr 26, 2018 3:22 PM

Jun 2016
Gainax, you did it again.

9.5/10 for Diebuster (Gunbuster got an 8.5/10 from me). Why did I put it off for so long? This show is pretty much essential viewing for anyone who likes Gainax/Trigger-style hype like FLCL, TTGL, KLK or Luluco. Of course, watching Gunbuster is a prerequisite, because it's filled with references.

Also, it gave me vaguely space themed wallpapers for *days.*: https://imgur.com/a/1ey3zgh Easily one of the best looking anime I've seen. I was awestruck throughout the watch.

Loved me some Groovin' Magic and Hoshikuzu Namida too.

Gonna just lie down and enjoy the sweet void now.
Aug 10, 2018 1:29 PM

Jun 2014
Yeah this sucked. 4/10 because of the effort that was put into it. The story was ass and the characters were lame.
:3
Dec 19, 2018 7:03 AM

Mar 2016
I think I liked this a tiny bit more than Gunbuster. I really appreciated how the endings for both are connected, and the last two episodes of this one had emotional content that felt earned, and even with all of the weirdness the pacing was a tad more digestible.. I wish the relationship between Nono and Lal'C was better defined, because it felt inconsistent, but the cute moments between them were pretty cute. Random character whose design I really liked: Ruu Sun.

No-no-...ri it was kind of obvious, but I think this was the most clever part of the whole OVA. I'm still not a fan of the monstrous scale, which is probably why I'll never watch TTGL.
syncrogazerDec 19, 2018 7:09 AM
Apr 23, 2019 6:53 AM
Sep 2017
It's one of the best. I loved this series, and because i biased Nono, it's ranked higher than Gunbuster in my list. The ending is absolutely beautiful, the best i've ever experienced. I enjoyed the fun and things. Gunbuster, yes it's beautiful but Noriko and Kazumi's personalities shifts too fast, the development was kind of unrealistic. And about Diebuster, they made a great move to just throw it 12,000 years into the future, where things can be made up. Why would they throw Earth at the space monster you might ask? Because it's probably the least valued planet left that has the size to damage the monster,since they've been colonizing all over the solar system. It's probably the closest to the monster too. The cheesy music, all that fun things Nono and Lal'C was doing built up their relationship very well, better than the original Gunbuster imo. Nono probably knew Nonoriri because she is the #7 buster machine out there ( And there were 3 at the end of Gunbuster). I think Nono didn't die or vanish, she might just come back after 12,000 more years. Loved it to bits.
May 13, 2019 1:01 PM

Aug 2018
Well that was a lot of fun. The visuals were AMAZING, all the more so with being done in the mid-aughts, and the CG was well-integrated. Some truly breathtaking moments of beauty in there. Soundtrack was impressive also. Just wish we had had more time with these characters and with the world---so much potential.

On a somewhat related note, the more classic mecha anime I watch, the less I respect Darling in the FranXX (and I've given it a pity 6 for the first 15 episodes alone). It ripped off SO much.

Oh, and Lal'C is best girl.

8.25/10
Set SCE to AUX
May 27, 2019 11:49 PM

Sep 2017
I love Gunbuster and Diebuster in general, the Diebuster style does not feel like its prequel, it's closer to the style of FLCL and I love it. its protagonist Nono is very nice and the action scenes are acceptable.

I also prefer Gunbuster, but Diebuster is not far behind and his end joining the end of the first series is fantastic and feels nostalgic and all.

Jun 7, 2019 4:34 PM

Sep 2013
I really really really didn't enjoy this series.....but the ending almost completely made up for it.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 5, 2019 11:14 AM

Aug 2017
Diebuster turned out to be great overall, although the script could've been stronger in some places. The whole in-universe science feels less real than in Gunbuster, especially with all these psychic powers. Remember the first episode when Tycho communicated with Lal'C through a cat? Remember any explanation of this? Me neither. Although I appreciate the fact that they explained why only young people could pilot buster machines, something that got overlooked in Gunbuster.
The mysterious twins turned out to be so mysterious that they didn't receive any development whatsoever.
In the last episode Lal'C somehow transforms Dix-Neuf into another mecha with some core, although I couldn't understand just where did that core come from.
Why did Nono abandoned the plan and left at the end of episode 5? Did she want to evolve into a giant space waifu? Turned out she didn't need that power to win.
Also, remember how Tycho's mecha was able to freeze swarms of monsters with some unscientifically low temperature? Couldn't she just freeze the large one in the end? Idk.
These felt like major plotholes which I wish did not exist. However, they're not fatal and do not make the experience of watching Diebuster worse, I still enjoyed it a lot - the characters were memorable and had a lovely relationship which almost looked like shoujo ai (I'm not surprised because the script was written by Utena's Yoji Enokido) and the finale was beautiful and bittersweet. I'm not even talking about the graphics, Diebuster was probably one of the most beautiful and bombastic shows of its time. The show clearly had some FLCL vibes (especially when Lal'C kicked her scooter, lol) and Evangelion-ish imagery (giant godlike waifus in space).

P.S. it's sad that the science lessons never got subbed, they could explain a lot about the universe. At least I have them in raw (by the way, if anybody's willing to sub them, I'm ready to share).
St0rmbladeJul 5, 2019 11:45 AM
Jul 10, 2019 4:00 AM

Oct 2013
Probably in the minority that enjoyed Diebuster more than Gunbuster. This ending was perfect.
Oct 25, 2019 8:14 PM

Sep 2017
Certain parts of the story still never got explained, which is a huge problem with the show, and the foreshadowing was god awful, but at least I got some enjoyment out of this. This was definitely more enjoyable than Gunbuster, because at least with Diebuster I could go "Wow, that looked really good" while being completely lost by the nonsensical plot. At least Diebuster aged better. 7/10.

Mar 27, 2020 6:04 PM

Jun 2015
Meh, this tried to be thought-provoking like Gunbuster but it failed. But it's not half-bad either. The connection with Gunbuster was made more obvious in the end.
Jun 7, 2020 8:51 AM

Jul 2017
BRUH, I LOVE how it ties in with the ending of the first one. that shit is fucking amazing
Jul 24, 2020 12:18 AM
Jul 2018
that was very cool.
Apr 20, 2022 7:57 PM

Dec 2018
would have like a more grounded show with better character development, it felt really forced here way more than previously if i take it for what it is, it's alright but as a sequel until the very very end it just shidded and fardded all over itself.
Nov 25, 2022 4:15 PM
Sep 2015
:') It's so good. I wish gainax was still here
Dec 25, 2022 1:18 AM
Oct 2012
I feel like moving the Earth, mankind's primordial throne, should have had more impact on the characters than it did. But that ending was amazing; as others have said i'm extremely disappointed we didn't see the characters themselves. This series was definitely highly inferior to the original in a lot of ways, the characters and story are nowhere near as interesting either imo, but the tie-in at the end was worth it. 

6.5/10
Jan 25, 2023 5:45 PM
Oct 2022
I didn't like this whole anime, but I did appreciate the ending, minus the "friendship" saves the day troupe.

The music was solid, as was the animation. The real highlight, though, is how this ending ties directly into the ending of Gunbuster
Jan 25, 2023 5:46 PM
Oct 2022
flaxman85 said:
Not much to say here...

ending was awesome, fighting scenes and animations were top notch. Everything else were meh..

For me, Gunbuster > Diebuster

great series.. not one regret was felt that day

Nicely said, I totally agree
Feb 1, 2023 8:38 PM
Oct 2020
Peak, just peak. Masterpiece. Nothing else needs to be said
Jul 2, 2023 9:26 PM
Aug 2022
Wow everything comes full circle. Very impressive ending, can see why there was never a 3rd series, you can't really top this sense of scale. Nono was a really fun character, much better mc than Noriko honestly.

Oct 6, 2023 3:52 PM
Feb 2020
I had my problems with this series, but man they did the "WELCOME HOMЭ!" justice!

Oct 6, 2023 3:53 PM
Feb 2020
I had my problems with this series, but man they did the "WELCOME HOMЭ!" justice!

Dec 22, 2023 10:26 PM

Jun 2021
A gainax anime finale never disappoint, i mean how they make endings so fucking mindblowing
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Jan 5, 9:45 PM
Oct 2019
That slapped hard
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Veethorn - May 15, 2010

27 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 4 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Sep 19, 2009

48 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 20, 2009

37 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:53 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 2 Discussion

naikou - Sep 30, 2008

46 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 20, 2023 5:08 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

56 by OneMoreFinal »»
Nov 20, 2023 10:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.