Forum Settings
Forums

Do you use MAL-like sites for other kinds of media? Books, Games, Movies etc

New
3 hours ago

Aug 2018
I have come to realize that I quite enjoy logging all the media I have consumed and rating it, so I'm wondering if you guys do as well, at least to some extent, since you use MyAnimeList. So my questions are:

Do you use any Tracking/Logging/Rating sites for other kinds of media like Movies, Western Shows, Books, Games and so on?

Are you considering using any if you haven’t already?

For example I use Trakt for Western Shows, Letterboxd for Movies, Backloggd for Games and LibraryThing for Books. I ‘m thinking of making one for music but not sure what site to use.
TheDoodle3 hours ago
3 hours ago

Feb 2020
No. I only use MyAnimeList and Anilist.
3 hours ago

Jan 2021
I use VNDB for visual novels, and that's it honestly. For novels I mainly buy them physical, so I don't need a site to help me remember what I read. And I don't watch much non anime shows and movies.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
3 hours ago

Aug 2011
I use MyDramaList for live-action Asian TV/movies.
3 hours ago

Apr 2024
I use leagueofcomicsgeek for comics
"When real men do what they're supposed to, it's not always about what they want."Kazuma Kuwabara

3 hours ago

Sep 2007
MyVideoGameList for games, i guess.
3 hours ago

Apr 2020
I use Mygamelist for games also I used to have an imdb profile for movies
3 hours ago

May 2008
I use goodreads.com to list books and imdb.com for series and movies.
3 hours ago

May 2024
I used Goodreads to keep track of the books I read a while ago, and I also used IMDB for a few years, but that was almost 5 years ago. Nowadays MAL is the only site I care about tracking what I watch/read. The older I get the less time I have to consume storytelling media regularly, so I don't see much of a point in keeping track of certain series, films, or books. The only reason I keep a MAL account is cuz I am passionate about anime more than other media, and even when I'm not watching anything I like being notified on news and articles.
3 hours ago

Jun 2016
I use IMDb for non anime movies and shows. I once attempted to migrate over to Letterboxd but IMDb's detailed info (film type, lens, goddamn film reel length) convinced me to stay.
I used to be on Playfire (vidya MAL) until it was shut down but I never migrated to any of the new alternatives.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
3 hours ago

Feb 2020
Yeah

Use Goodreads for books.
MyFigureCollection for Anime-related march.
Cagematch mostly to track/review wrestling shows I've watched & attended (although I also rate the wrestlers, promotions, titles etc).
3 hours ago

May 2023
I used to utilize such sites to catalogue collections.. but I became annoyed with issues in service and gaps in database.. So, now I maintain my own database for listing and cataloguing using DBMS.. MAL is the only one I still use..
3 hours ago

Dec 2017
This: https://www.listal.com
Best website ever, to me. Not only lists, but rating Books, Games, Movies, TV shows, Music, Collectibles, Fictional Characters, etc.
私が見たのが、ブギーポップだったのかどうかは分からない。
3 hours ago

Oct 2013
Games and movies, yes. Books, no. Not even sure if their is one for books.

I've yet to find a games one that has a forum though, which is actually a blessing...It would probably be more of a shitshow than this place.
3 hours ago

May 2019
-I use anidb and anime planet as well.
2 hours ago

Oct 2017
I use HowLongToBeat to log the time it takes for me to finish a lot of my games, aswell s to help decide which game out of the many i own i will play next
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
2 hours ago

Sep 2016
IMDb because it has the biggest database.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
2 hours ago

Dec 2022
VNDB for visual novels, but that's about it.

Shaded Horizon

2 hours ago

Aug 2018
Reply to Luchipher-Zen
I used to utilize such sites to catalogue collections.. but I became annoyed with issues in service and gaps in database.. So, now I maintain my own database for listing and cataloguing using DBMS.. MAL is the only one I still use..
Luchipher-Zen said:
So, now I maintain my own database for listing and cataloguing using DBMS

Is there specific brand of software you're using it make it? That sounds like a lot of effort if I'm understanding you correctly.
2 hours ago

Aug 2010
I use VNDB and MyDramaList. I don't rate on MDL though.
2 hours ago

Jul 2017
I used to use VNDB and Goodreads in particular when I was younger and very much into reading all kinds of books, but basically stopped using those for many years now.
2 hours ago

Feb 2021
MyFigureCollection for figures and anime merch
blu-ray.com for blu-rays.
PSN profiles for games.
2 hours ago

Aug 2016
for movies: letterboxd (IMDB is better in terms of community, though)
for series: serialzd
for visual novesl: VNDB
for videogames: backloggd

said this, I mainly use letterboxd and MAL. I rarely use the rest. I also have an anidb and anilist but its mainly for backup. and I think I have discogs and goodreads accounts, but havent used them in years.
:v
2 hours ago

Apr 2024
I only log anime, manga, light novels, manhua, manhwa and visual novels.
Would have loved to also do the same for video games and live-action movies but I couldn't find a site that is not shit.
1 hour ago

May 2023
Reply to TheDoodle
Luchipher-Zen said:
So, now I maintain my own database for listing and cataloguing using DBMS

Is there specific brand of software you're using it make it? That sounds like a lot of effort if I'm understanding you correctly.
@TheDoodle Not really.. I originally tried to use SQL but that presented no outward benefit to the kind of data I was listing.. I also looked for specific DBMS that would do the job.. most were not for me.. so I turned to plain old MS-Excel. It's easier to maintain.. and I can connect the data to other softwares if I require insights etc. I used to hook the data into Tableau and Origin for visualization.. I also tried Grapher [by Golden Software] in 2020-21 cuz it promised what Excel lacked in terms of graphical representation, but there were no exceptional pro's to using it so I moved back to Excel and Tableau..

It may sound like lot of effort maintaining a database.. but in it's basic form as I am using it, it's fairly easy.. The problems I faced in the websites were, for example, absence of titles and/or duplicates.. felt kind of lack of mobility for data..
1 hour ago

Jul 2021
I could not possibly log anything else besides anime and manga.
I've already been through too much before even considering it from anything else.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
1 hour ago
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Yes, I use Goodreads, Letterboxd, RateYourMusic, and Trakt.
31 minutes ago

Oct 2010
I wanted to create a Goodreads several years ago but, quickly realized I couldn't possibly be bothered to add all of them. It doesn't make much of a difference to me anyway, and creating one now would be even more daunting. So I only use MAL.
17 minutes ago

May 2022
I only use a VNDB and MyDramaList in terms of MAL-like sites.
"It's just one of those days when you don't want to wake up, everything is fudged, everybody sucks, you don't really know why but you want to justify ripping someone's head off."
-John Cena, Romanian Philosopher and former politician

More topics from this board

Poll: » BEST SHAFT ANIME (POLL)

ZXEAN - 6 hours ago

19 by Gator »»
23 seconds ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9268 by anime-prime »»
18 minutes ago

» Are there GOAT Anime that you will never watch? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - Jul 19

77 by bladecode »»
23 minutes ago

» Do you find emotional scenes to hit harder in sequels or longer series in general?

ZeroMajor12 - Yesterday

7 by Chris_Concept »»
40 minutes ago

» Terrifying characters ( 1 2 )

SimplyBrazen - Yesterday

71 by JaniSIr »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.