Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 18, 2021 12:44 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Minonoke said:
I'm honestly happy to check this thread and see people just as clueless like me :D

This ep was mind-blowing for sure and just beautiful to watch. I can't hate Abel at all, he has been just as much through everyone else..so I was really happy for his and Helenas ending..

The Noah arc really left me confused, as much as the observer. Is the storyteller a shapeshifter? Was he also Jean d'Arc back then when (s)he ordered the stone?

Panzer92 said:
Tbh I'd prefer to watch this whole story from Abel's point of view.

same! in the end, we actually got the most background story from him from all characters, and the whole searching for Helena was left out till a certain point. But honestly how much story plot and backgrounds can be fitting in only 12 eps :(

Do you guys think there will be another season or maybe a movie?

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
I hope so, since it's unlikely to wrap up in a satisfactory manner with just one more episode.
Oct 18, 2021 1:24 PM

Feb 2016
SouthRzVa said:
Like when you feel more for the supposed antagonist rather than for the main heroine. Not gonna lie, I'm somewhat glad Abel could finally reunite with Helena.

So... uh... Cody's character ended up being someone akin to God if not God himself. Okay. We have gone full 100% nonsense now.

By the way, why did Abel look like he was gonna turn into a vampire?

Nah, I had way more of a problem with Abel getting an unearned happy end out of nowhere from Cody, than I had with the rest of the complete lack of cohesion with this episode. Wonder Egg Priority may have made me a little more cynical, but I hope they find some miracle way to rectify at least that. FUCK Abel. Dude came off like a crazed incel more than anything.
Oct 18, 2021 5:31 PM

Jun 2019
Gwenpool said:
Sorry, I just got to rant. It's been 11 episodes. The show is almost over, and there are a ton of problems that I doubt will be fixed by the finale.

I kind of don't care about Fena's crew risking their lives, since 4/5ths of them are so underdeveloped. We've known them for nearly the entire show and they're basically plot devices or there to round out the numbers. Plus there's been so little stakes with them, I have no doubt that they'd just easily defeat the large army armed with tons of superior weapons. Or they'll die, but get magically resurrected somehow.

When this show was announced, I was expecting Fena to go through more growth. Improve as a fighter, do pirate stuff, learn to be more resourceful, inspire deep change in characters outside of just Shitan and Yukimaru, have more agency, rely more on herself and not on memories. Maybe she doesn't end up being a fighter, but they focus on the unique, individual bonds between her and the cast, and how she improved their lives. But nah, she just wanders around and acts as a guide with her conveniently solid memories, while everyone tries to climb up her butt because they're in love with her or know that she's valuable. For a show called Fena: Pirate Princess, she's more of a tour guide than a pirate.

The plot has been disjointed and there are a lot of unanswered questions & weird decisions, but I'm doing to wait on the finale before I judge these parts. There's still time for them to wrap up some of the mysteries, and the finale is the perfect time to tie up loose ends. But there will more likely than not be a few unanswered questions and missing details.

You know how this show is about pirates and ninjas? The ninja clan's backstory stuff and lore ends up pushed into the background, except when Shitan tells the gang there are consequences for defying their group- Oh no wait nevermind, everything's fine and we're just not going to deal with that. We spend a lot of time at sea, surely we can have a few naval and ship battle- Oh, we're just going to get one, and it's just Abel's crew blasting the pirate chicks in a completely one-sided fight. The show is called PIRATE PRINCESS, so - Oh wait, the only piratey things the cast do it hunt for one treasure and travel by sea. (In a submarine and not a pirate ship.) The ninjas using a submarine wasn't even necessary in the end, it could have been a ship and little would have changed. The girl ninja is all about inventions, surely that'll come into play outside of her making the submarine. The submarine that's not even necessary and could have been a regular ship instead. Abel has an interesting story, it would be a shame if we only explore half of it. Cody.

Also, child Yukimaru looks exactly like a mini version of that one ninja crewmate, it's weird. Like he looks nothing like his childhood self, while this rando does. It's a small nitpick and doesn't damage the show, but it's been bugging the hell out of me. Why make these two characters look the same, at different points in their lives? It's such a bizarre design choice.

This show had a lot of potential, so it's so frustrating to see the show as it is now. There are still a lot of good elements to the series. I wish this show was 24 episodes long, so they could have had extra time to flesh out their ideas and characters.

Sound summary, even though I did appreciate this episode to an extent for finally - I would hope by the penultimate episode - delving more overtly into its mysticism and supernatural religious aspects, since the mystery centered around the role of mythology or theology in this series is more interesting than anything else to me since everything else is either a little or majorly too underdeveloped or just plain undeveloped/left in embryonic stage.

Everything you wrote though is exactly the problem I have with this length format for many, many different series. I wish it had not become such a ubiquitous modern trend, the 11 - 13 episode shows, because the only ones I see as successful pulling it off are either:

A) Super densely written, dialogue and/or symbolism-heavy experimental-esque anime created, written, and directed by auteurs where every line of speech and every shot or frame is utilized and meant to mean something

or

B) Slice of Life shows

Both of which seem to be the only types with enough space and breathing room in this format. It's increasingly very much a minority of series which are not one of those two and work either equally well or better in a limited run format than if they simply had been made longer and given much more time to breathe and not feel rushed or watered down as a result. This leads to plot points and characterization-driving events to be left as cliff notes and bullet points. Adventure genre series are actually probably the worst for it, because everything about a proper adventure should seem expansive to convey the sense of feeling, stakes, and scale, but everything about the short modern seasons or cours feels suffocatingly constrictive by its nature.
WatchTillTandavaOct 18, 2021 5:36 PM
Oct 18, 2021 5:45 PM

Jun 2019
Sadly, it is starting to collapse under everything that it built up. I was really hopeful that wasn’t going to be the case given how well-executed everything was up to this point. More questions than answers at this point and so much still unresolved. Everything regarding Eden and Abel was handled in a very confusing way that was not set up nearly enough before it happened.

I’d like to think the last episode can tie everything up but I’m skeptical at this point.
Oct 18, 2021 6:26 PM

Dec 2020
no one suspected that yukimaru and fena were probably making out or something??

nways this episode was very ?????? kind of all over the place. is shitan's brother ever gonna come ??? lmao not sure how they're gonna end this in One episode but im hoping for the best
Oct 18, 2021 7:05 PM

May 2013
Fena being abandoned young by her parents who both died you’d think they would have a touching reunion with the main character and her dead mother but nooo. Instead they made a “touching” reunion with the antagonist who tried to kill both the main role characters and is a piece of shit that no one likes. Sorry Naruto still by far has the best dead parents and child reunion scene. They could have nailed it with Helena and Fena.
“Listen up, you lowlifes who will never amount to anything!“ -[Mawaru Penguindrum]
Oct 19, 2021 7:31 AM

May 2021
People wants the antagonist to suffer way too much, the episode was ok and the Abel reunion was extremely touching if you put yourself in his POV, like if he was the protagonist you would want him to accomplish his goal too. I don't really get the criticism to the character development, Fena, Abel and Yukimaru are alright in such terms and there is not real need to make something deeper because it would waste time. The main negative of this episode was wasted time, there was no point of having a fight between the crew and the Abel's guys, the fight got nowhere. The Abel fight with Yukimaru was coward, they should have killed Yukimaru or Fena but instead we got Helena's appearance to save the day.
The "revelation" was alright, I think that the point of it will clearly connect to the Joan of Arc shit, the sword will clearly have a role in the last episode and connect what is left, otherwise they wouldnt have put so much emphasis to it. It is just historical references after all

Oct 19, 2021 8:49 AM
May 2020
lizzziziz said:
no one suspected that yukimaru and fena were probably making out or something??

nways this episode was very ?????? kind of all over the place. is shitan's brother ever gonna come ??? lmao not sure how they're gonna end this in One episode but im hoping for the best

LOL :D I honestly wouldn't lie if I've did not think of Yuki and Fena giving Adam/Eve vibes at some point. But it makes no sense but still. I'm still confused about their relation honestly?!
And I was so hoping for Kei this episode...for all this plot I would expect at least a 1-hour final episode.

Blue_Maroon said:
Sadly, it is starting to collapse under everything that it built up. I was really hopeful that wasn’t going to be the case given how well-executed everything was up to this point. More questions than answers at this point and so much still unresolved. Everything regarding Eden and Abel was handled in a very confusing way that was not set up nearly enough before it happened.

I’d like to think the last episode can tie everything up but I’m skeptical at this point.

To me the whole historical context is so mixed up..at some point I even had the thought that maybe Fena and the whole story isn't "real" and based on that time there is just someone just telling a story of Fena the pirate princess...and maybe got lost inside their own Storytelling (kind of experienced that in a Visual Novel once). Wondering if the sword and angels will come up next episode if it goes more into the bible context? Was it mentioned which sword (title of it) the Goblins were looking for? I missed that..is there a chance it's the burning sword?!

Ah man, I really wish this would have been a 24 episode Anime.
Oct 19, 2021 9:52 AM

Nov 2014
Zweifooter said:
SouthRzVa said:
Like when you feel more for the supposed antagonist rather than for the main heroine. Not gonna lie, I'm somewhat glad Abel could finally reunite with Helena.

So... uh... Cody's character ended up being someone akin to God if not God himself. Okay. We have gone full 100% nonsense now.

By the way, why did Abel look like he was gonna turn into a vampire?

Nah, I had way more of a problem with Abel getting an unearned happy end out of nowhere from Cody, than I had with the rest of the complete lack of cohesion with this episode. Wonder Egg Priority may have made me a little more cynical, but I hope they find some miracle way to rectify at least that. FUCK Abel. Dude came off like a crazed incel more than anything.

Whether he deserved that ending is a matter of discussion. But why unearned? He worked on his goal most of his life - longer than Fena even lived. He also sacrificed everything for this goal. If anything, he worked the hardest of all to get there.
I'd also have to disagree about incel part. Crazy? Yes. But he is exact opposite of incel - popular with women, can use them but still behave like gentleman. And technically his motivation was a pure love - not hatred or jealusy.
Although him gettign crazy with red eyes/seeing things at the end was disappointing.
Oct 19, 2021 9:56 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Did Fena's father just get ntr'd?

smoochie smoochie[/center]
Oct 19, 2021 10:25 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
This is getting pretty weird. Not sure if I like where this is going
Oct 19, 2021 11:07 AM

Feb 2016
Panzer92 said:
Zweifooter said:

Whether he deserved that ending is a matter of discussion. But why unearned? He worked on his goal most of his life - longer than Fena even lived. He also sacrificed everything for this goal. If anything, he worked the hardest of all to get there.
I'd also have to disagree about incel part. Crazy? Yes. But he is exact opposite of incel - popular with women, can use them but still behave like gentleman. And technically his motivation was a pure love - not hatred or jealusy.
Although him gettign crazy with red eyes/seeing things at the end was disappointing.

It felt unearned because of the pacing and the fact that all we've really seen Abel do so far is shoot people. He comes off like an incel because his love seems completely one sided. The way their relationship is presented, and probably partially due to the pacing, he comes off as creepy and obsessed, not gentlemanly. Especially after he "falls in love" with Fena, based 100% entirely off of her appearance. I definitely wouldn't call his motivation behind senselessly and nearly randomly murdering innocents left and right to be "pure love". In fact, he shares a lot of similarities with a serial killer/stalker, since he killed Fena's dad(not dad) just for liking Helena.

MonkeeDan said:
Did Fena's father just get ntr'd?

More or less, which is basically what I was getting at.
Oct 19, 2021 7:02 PM

Mar 2015
I don't even know what's going on anymore! The music when Fena's mama appeared was very heavenly and serene. But I wish this anime had at least 13 episodes, because I can tell the last one is going to be majorly rushed.

I'm going to be big mad if we don't get a beautiful shoujo kiss from Yukimaru and Fena next episode. >:|
Oct 19, 2021 8:58 PM
Oct 2019
what in the actual fuck is going on

this feels like it's in the process of going off the rails
Oct 19, 2021 9:31 PM
Jun 2012
Not sure what I expected but this show just went downhill.
Oct 20, 2021 12:15 AM

Oct 2008
Scum greed fatass captain instajudgement fodder treatment! bwahaha
4/5.

Oct 20, 2021 4:43 AM
Feb 2021
I am just confused but well Abel got to be together with Helena since that was all what he had been looking for. Now, upto the Fena father
Oct 21, 2021 7:32 AM

Jun 2019
Another brilliant and epic episode. Wasn't sure if this episode would be as good as ep 10 but it pulled it off. Felt sorry for Abel, although he's committed some terrible acts to be with Helena again (watching her put to death after giving birth to the Kings child, assuming she was a mistress of the kings, must have made Abel mad as hell and care for nothing but being with Helena again).

I'm not sure where the story is going with the arc and whole Eden thing, but we've got one final episode left to find out. If the last episode is decent then this show will get a perfect score from me, I've loved it that much.

The music (shout out Yuki Kajiura especially the track playing during Fena's dance in ep 10), animation and background settings have been top class.
23feanorOct 21, 2021 7:36 AM
Oct 21, 2021 9:26 AM

Mar 2014
I thought it was going to be a good anime but it turns out it was just an illusion created by pretty visuals and interesting premise. The story is a complete mess - lots of tropes mashed together without any logic. Most of the series were enjoyable but this episode and episode before are garbage.
Oct 21, 2021 10:20 PM

May 2020
I am really wondering where this is all going, at one moment you have her long dead mother and at the next one father, who isn't actually his father but that shorty who's claiming himself as some sort of storymaker.

Hoping for atleast some explanations next episode.
Oct 22, 2021 4:31 PM

Jul 2016
seems I'm the only one who has theorized that Able is Fena's real father which explains why he was overprotective of her and went as far as blowing the Rumble Rose with that canon

This series has been taken itself seriously all these episodes, why do I feel it will go the loony Tunes path with the next episode?
Oct 23, 2021 6:21 AM

Dec 2016
And I was joking that Cody can be a devil considering all christianity/judaism references... and then they give him shapeshifting abilities. xD

AnimeJunky said:
Noah's Ark came out of nowhere.

Considering that we could see Noah's Ark in OP the whole time I wouldn't say it came out of nowhere. :P

traed said:
I still don't get if Fena's father is also Abel's versus it was just a misunderstanding on Abel's part or if he was then if she was with him willingly or not because it makes no sense why she would be with him when she liked Abel.

Raptors0verlord said:
seems I'm the only one who has theorized that Able is Fena's real father which explains why he was overprotective of her and went as far as blowing the Rumble Rose with that canon

In Abel's flashback they said that Helena needed to have kid with a King so Fena isn't Abel's daughter, he was too distantly related to "kings blood". But Helena truly loved Abel.

Abel said he will never be a king (not family and friends) but have a prince title then probable he have at least 2 generation between him and King from flashback. So King isn't Abel father but Abel's grandparent could be kid of former King.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.105/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.182/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.99/? - weekly) | Machi and Oboro (Ch.11/? - biweekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.74/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.61/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Oct 23, 2021 11:43 AM

Mar 2008
Nieznajomy43 said:

In Abel's flashback they said that Helena needed to have kid with a King so Fena isn't Abel's daughter, he was too distantly related to "kings blood". But Helena truly loved Abel.

Abel said he will never be a king (not family and friends) but have a prince title then probable he have at least 2 generation between him and King from flashback. So King isn't Abel father but Abel's grandparent could be kid of former King.

Damnit this show needs an official family tree chart lol
Oct 23, 2021 11:47 AM

May 2015
Wow thos went supernatural over the hill
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 24, 2021 1:22 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Abel is finally dead but I don't really care, anyway most events right now are so weird...
Oct 24, 2021 3:19 AM

Nov 2012
Storymaker? He could've made a better story.
Oct 25, 2021 10:18 PM

Jul 2015
the badass european villain turned to be a beta simp

Oct 28, 2021 7:50 PM

Mar 2010
Rest in peace abel. Are all of the characters on drugs or what
Oct 30, 2021 10:47 AM
Jan 2019
i love this anime but i see what people mean when they say the story is hard to follow
Nov 3, 2021 12:34 PM
Dec 2012
ngl, the anime couldn't really captivate me so far, but damn is it refreshing to see a happy ending for the antagonist.
Nov 20, 2021 6:47 PM

Feb 2018
At least now Abel can be happy. So Cody/father is the Observer, the storymaker? nani!?
Nov 22, 2021 1:15 PM

Jul 2015
Impressive how Abel didn't flinch at losing his arm and getting the sweet end after all the slaughter but I gotta disagree with Helena on him completing his task as he did jack shit other than being an obstacle for Fena. I wonder how they gonna end this with Kei on sea, Cody turning out to be Franz who turns out to be an observer to some story etc.

Nov 24, 2021 6:53 AM

Jan 2008
deg said:
Judevin said:
That was the most anticlimactic ending ever, Abel commits manslaughter left and right, and still gets away scot-free? Hell, mf got the good ending too. That was so fucking shit lmfao. I wanted to see the creepy psycho rot at the bottom of Davy Jones' Locker, but he gets to be with his crush that he's been obsessed with for so long. Alright then.

they are referencing Christianity heavily though and we know that religion is all about forgiveness of sins lol

And killing firstborns. That's really forgiving.

I mean - this is impressive. It was going pretty good so far, I was actually quite curious to see what the engame here is. And we get - underwater islands, stairway to heaven and spirit summonings out of nowhere. It feels like they didn't know how to wrap it up and instead went the "blblblbl magic hehe" route. Helena appears, does nothing and fucks right off. Because logic... logic is for pussies.
May 31, 2022 6:33 PM

Mar 2013
I really prefer Abel's tragic love story instead of Fena's. It's like Fena is just a sideshow now and Abel's story has more of an impact for me.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 26, 2022 12:55 AM

Jun 2021
So Eden is like some kind of Purgatory I guess and “Cody” is like some god figure? This whole episode was pretty trippy. I hope they explain just wtf is going on in the next episode.
Jul 31, 2022 6:06 AM
Jan 2022
Like Abel ever said he will someday find Helena, and he loved her so much, but why you all confused about his reaction when he met Helena right in front of his eyes? Smh
Nov 7, 2022 8:28 PM
Dec 2009
Could it be that the redness in his eyes was a reference that he was high already, without an arm, seeing spirits and the hell out of four?
Jan 5, 2023 8:56 PM
Jan 2022
This ep was VERY confusing. Also, @ 4:40 was a really bad angle for Abel lol.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaizoku Oujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

LastLuminescence - Oct 23, 2021

155 by Alice103 »»
Sep 13, 6:33 AM

Poll: » Kaizoku Oujo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 14, 2021

85 by Talamare »»
Jun 1, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Kaizoku Oujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 28, 2021

55 by PatrickJaneFan »»
Jan 15, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kaizoku Oujo Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Oct 2, 2021

60 by Kami_Willis »»
Apr 30, 2023 4:38 PM

Poll: » Kaizoku Oujo Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MadanielFL - Sep 18, 2021

63 by nameofuser_ »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.