Forums

Anime that is boring watching the first time but enjoyable the second time

New
Dec 5, 2020 5:32 PM
Oct 2019
Yes there are series that are like that okay
Dec 5, 2020 7:26 PM

Sep 2020
Although I can't think of much I think Madoka Magica might fit into this category just so every slightly. Maybe Monogatari series as well although I'm not finished with it.

The reason for these choices is things like foreshadowing. In particular, when you are rewatching an anime you tend to notice a lot more little things that may actually be really important. For ex, I recently rewatched AOT and came to love it, even more, when I notice all the little spoilers that the anime secretly gives.

“𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒕’𝒔 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’š π’Šπ’• π’Šπ’”. π‘ͺπ’‰π’‚π’π’ˆπ’† π’Šπ’” π’Šπ’π’†π’—π’Šπ’•π’‚π’ƒπ’π’†. 𝑰𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒐𝒇 π’“π’†π’”π’Šπ’”π’•π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’Šπ’•, π’šπ’π’–’𝒓𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒗𝒆𝒅 π’”π’Šπ’Žπ’‘π’π’š π’ˆπ’π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’˜π’Šπ’•π’‰ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’‡π’π’π’˜.” – π‘Ίπ’‰π’–π’π’”π’–π’Š π‘²π’šπ’π’–π’“π’‚π’Œπ’–
Dec 6, 2020 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
In this case, I think it's either you didn't have the best/proper state of mind or mood the first time you watched it. It's also possible that you just didn't understand or appreciate the appeal of the show for the first take.
Dec 6, 2020 12:16 AM

Feb 2020
Yuzuriyu said:
In this case, I think it's either you didn't have the best/proper state of mind or mood the first time you watched it.

This. Watched few minutes of three different shows in my desperate attempt to fill the void after finishing Naruto (was pretty new to anime then, still am). Dropped all three only to watch them months later and find out its actually decent.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2020 12:30 AM

Oct 2018
I don't remember any
Inb4: Steins;Gate bla bla bla...
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Dec 6, 2020 12:37 AM

Jun 2020
I doubt there are a lot of anime specifically designed for you to like them more on the second viewing tbh, it's all on your own perspective. I went into Kaguya-sama after seeing the psychological tag and reading a review that said it's "the Death Note of romcoms". So going in, I was expecting some good battle of wits stuff and some brilliant mind games.

Needless to say, I was disappointed because the mind games weren't half as good, and the characters weren't half as cold and calculating than I was expecting. For the top two most intelligent students of the academy, they were pretty dumb in most situations tbh. I finished the show, (had laughed at some parts here and there) and then bid it farewell and good riddance.

Months later, I see a youtube clip of the show where they're pumping the balloon and shit and I literally laughed for a whole minute at a scene I'd barely smirked at when I was watching the show. I decided to rewatch the show, now going into it knowing that it was first and foremost a comedy. and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more during my rewatch. Looking forward to S3!
This anime shit is addictive
Dec 6, 2020 12:44 AM
Oct 2017
People that rewatch anime are sociopaths. Why would you want to rewatch the show you have already watched when you can watch something new. Rewatching should be illegal. Rewatching after like a decade is atleast understandable. But not a minute sooner.
Dec 6, 2020 12:47 AM

Apr 2020
tbh i cant think of any, i usually dont rewatch anything unless i thought it was good in the first place.
but i did drop madoka once because it was too boring but when i watched it again it was an entirely different experience. i could say the same for devilman:crybaby which I thought was only about gore and sex but It was interesting when i tried to rewatch it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2020 1:49 AM

Mar 2014
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and Steins;Gate for me.
Dec 6, 2020 2:10 AM

Jun 2017
how many of ya'll actually bored the first time you guys watched madoka or steins;gate i mean cmon
Dec 6, 2020 3:04 PM

Mar 2016
Durarara and Bunny girl senpai for sure, at first it was confusing and boring then I gave it a second try.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Dec 6, 2020 3:06 PM

Aug 2017
I don't rewatch anime so I can't aswer....but I rewatch certain scenes and yeah, its better the second time.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 6, 2020 3:09 PM

Aug 2017
isn't it the other way around?
Shows that are good the first time watching it, but loses most value because you know what's happening. Never ever have I encountered a show that is bad the first time and good a second time.
We are only here for a short amount of time, I want to waste as much of that time possible doing nonsense
Dec 6, 2020 4:28 PM

Dec 2007
breserk
only because now you can choose just not to watch the end

edit:
haven't done that yet but raxhpon should be better in every rewatch, i think they have done that purposely in that way, those who watched it will understand
Dec 6, 2020 4:31 PM

Jul 2020
Probably Evangelion for me. I found it much more enjoyable to watch the second time around because I actually know whats going on lol
Dec 6, 2020 4:33 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Bakemonogatari is the only show where I watched it once and did not like it but loved it on a subsequent watch. Steins gate sort of counts but I kept dropping it half way until the one day I decided to finish it all.
Dec 6, 2020 6:21 PM

Dec 2015
Probably Higurashi no naku koro ni for me, i havent finished it yet bc theres so much to go through but i was pretty bored/confused on what was going on until like almost the end of the first season lol. now that i actually know whats happening its quite good and i wouldnt mind rewatching the first season since i wont be so confused ahah
Dec 6, 2020 6:43 PM

Apr 2019
I've scored FMA:B a 6 the first time I've watched it (I was 16) it took me about a month to finish the 64 episodes.

Then I re-watched it last year (I'm 24 now) and gave it a 9, it took me like 4 days to complete.

I don't know if my taste has changed, or it just became better after watching it a second time.
(I was confused the first time around with all the characters and plot, so I was only focused on the story when I re-watched it.)

Dec 6, 2020 6:50 PM

Sep 2008
anything I find boring on the first go, I will NEVER rewatch.
there are times when I start some anime over again giving it a second chance or third, one of these is berserk. the other one is witchblade. I have a fear claymore is next.
I always stop all of these on the exact same episodes.
ι¦¬ιΉΏγ’γŸε€«η†γ€€ε…¨ιƒ¨γ‚¬γƒ©γ‚―γ‚Ώγ§
Dec 6, 2020 9:08 PM

Feb 2015
Madoka Magica is the only anime I've rewatched and enjoyed more the 2nd time than the 1st time. But I wouldn't say the first watch was boring, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered rewatching it.
Dec 6, 2020 9:11 PM

Jul 2020
If I find that anime boring then I wouldn't even bother to rewatch it.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 6, 2020 9:21 PM

Jul 2020
I found Joshi Luck more interessting after I found out more of the backstory on each of the girls.
Dec 6, 2020 9:25 PM

Jan 2018
Bloomberry said:
I found Joshi Luck more interessting after I found out more of the backstory on each of the girls.

Great plot and action scenes, haha yeah that it
Dec 6, 2020 11:35 PM

Jan 2017
GreatAide said:
how many of ya'll actually bored the first time you guys watched madoka or steins;gate i mean cmon

My thoughts exactly It's honestly depressing to see how often Steins;Gate especially is brought up in these threads.
Dec 6, 2020 11:47 PM

Aug 2018
Teraplan0409 said:
People that rewatch anime are sociopaths. Why would you want to rewatch the show you have already watched when you can watch something new. Rewatching should be illegal. Rewatching after like a decade is atleast understandable. But not a minute sooner.

Go watch Serial Experiment Lain and share what you understood(without search for answers outside the anime)
Some anime need to be rewatched for better understanding
Dec 6, 2020 11:48 PM

Dec 2019
The Devil is a Partimer, is exactly this for me. I watched it in January and was bored. Then I tried to watch it again in the summer and was happy I did!
Dec 6, 2020 11:59 PM

May 2018
Happened to me for example with the second Patlabor movie. Watching it without context the first time was a chore.
Latter watched the OVA and the previous movie, also at that point I was already used to the weird dream-like sequences of Mamoru Oshii. Now I see the second Patlabor movie as a genuine masterpiece.
Dec 7, 2020 12:23 AM
Oct 2020
Haven't encountered any such anime yet.
Dec 7, 2020 1:03 AM

Oct 2018
SagarSR said:
Yuzuriyu said:
In this case, I think it's either you didn't have the best/proper state of mind or mood the first time you watched it.

This. Watched few minutes of three different shows in my desperate attempt to fill the void after finishing Naruto (was pretty new to anime then, still am). Dropped all three only to watch them months later and find out its actually decent.

Lol when I was new to anime in like 2018 and I finished Naruto, i was in that exact same void. It took me a long time before i can get over my obsession. Such a good series!

Dec 7, 2020 1:04 AM

Jun 2014
Shinsekai yori and Madoka Magica are the ones I would say
Dec 7, 2020 2:25 AM

Sep 2020
Toradora at first i scored it with a 4/10 beacuse it was boring the first time but after re-watching i was able to understand some hints and overall enjoy it much more.
Dec 7, 2020 2:39 AM
Oct 2017
NeoYami said:
Teraplan0409 said:

Go watch Serial Experiment Lain and share what you understood(without search for answers outside the anime)

Ye I was just mostly joking. I still hate rewatching but I understand that there are a few shows out there that should be rewatched for better understandment.
Dec 7, 2020 3:01 AM
May 2020
Probably seasonals. I tend to drop some seasonal but after giving it another try to the same episode and the next one, it made me interest again
Dec 7, 2020 9:10 AM

Aug 2018
Teraplan0409 said:
NeoYami said:

Ye I was just mostly joking. I still hate rewatching but I understand that there are a few shows out there that should be rewatched for better understandment.

Youve got Angel's Egg in your list, unless you search for explanations online, you will definitely rewatch it, believe me(I still dont get it)
There will be a point where nothing that is coming out appeals to you, then youll either decide to rewatch something or watch an anime in your to watch list, which is something you dont want to be forced to do sometimes
Dec 7, 2020 9:16 AM

Oct 2019
I personally think you haven't seen Evangelion/ReZero until you rewatch them
I see dead people
Dec 7, 2020 9:20 AM

May 2017
I didn't find HxH (2011) boring at any point, but the Chimera Ant arc became a lot more enjoyable during my rewatches
Dec 7, 2020 9:23 AM

Oct 2019
Definitely Attack on Titan S3, even though the first time around isn’t that bad. The second time around it’s πŸ”₯
Dec 7, 2020 9:25 AM

Feb 2020
Probably for me it was Oreimo (Season 1)
I first watched it was when I was still kinda new to Anime, and i heard uhh... things about Oreimo... First watch left me bored & confused, but decided to rewatch it again a year or so later after rereading the Manga.
I understood it a lot more, especially the Otaku culture and even kinda liked it, and upped my previous rating. However, I deeply regret rereading the Manga...
Dec 7, 2020 9:36 AM
Jan 2017
spectrojan said:
I doubt there are a lot of anime specifically designed for you to like them more on the second viewing tbh, it's all on your own perspective. I went into Kaguya-sama after seeing the psychological tag and reading a review that said it's "the Death Note of romcoms". So going in, I was expecting some good battle of wits stuff and some brilliant mind games.

Needless to say, I was disappointed because the mind games weren't half as good, and the characters weren't half as cold and calculating than I was expecting. For the top two most intelligent students of the academy, they were pretty dumb in most situations tbh. I finished the show, (had laughed at some parts here and there) and then bid it farewell and good riddance.

Months later, I see a youtube clip of the show where they're pumping the balloon and shit and I literally laughed for a whole minute at a scene I'd barely smirked at when I was watching the show. I decided to rewatch the show, now going into it knowing that it was first and foremost a comedy. and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more during my rewatch. Looking forward to S3!

Exactly same reason why I dropped Kaguya sama but gave another chance seeing how 2nd season almost touched 9 rating here.Came with different mindset that it is just a comedy and nothing more than that and end result I really enjoyed it.
Dec 7, 2020 9:36 AM

Jun 2020
FLCL and Paranoia Agent

They were not boring, I loved both at the first watch.
But for example with this type of Anime , I don't think it is easy to understand the message these anime want to convey at first.
And when I watched it second times I thought both were much better than the first time Δ± watch them
Dec 13, 2020 1:50 AM

Sep 2009
hm, for me... a lot of times, i didn't watch enough epis because i was bored, so i never got into it. then if i try to rewatch it, sometimes i find i really love it. which is so nice. but pisses me off because i almost let myself not know such an amazing series lol. but overall, i've been noticing lately... that series i watched years ago when i first found anime that i LOVED... I can't get into it anymore, its just so boring. idk if its because im older but, but it makes me so sad. x_x
"My feelings are like the approaching summer clouds - growing bigger and accumulating, sometimes bringing rain."
Dec 13, 2020 1:54 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
What? Why tf would I re-watch something boring?
Dec 13, 2020 2:26 PM

Nov 2015
Definitely Fate/stay night. It was the first thing I watched when getting into Fate, and I was more than a little lost bored. Now I've pretty much seen every Fate season and every part of the franchise barring the stuff that hasn't aired yet.

I was getting one of my friends into Fate so he could come with me to see the final Heaven's Feel movie in theaters, so we watched [I re-watched] Fate/stay night, Zero, and UBW. I gotta say that after watching every other Fate adaptation up until now, I was far more interested in the 2006 version . I understood all of the foreshadowing and all of the little details and how it related to other works.
Dec 13, 2020 2:31 PM

Aug 2020
SEL or Mononoke

Also, i thought the HxH (2011) was kinda meh in my first watch but boy i was wrong about that.

The chance to pick up subtle clues and themes in a 2nd watch-through is very engaging and captivating for me, IDK

More topics from this board

» Imagine you're an anime seiyuu (voice actor). Which character would you want to voice?

Wendoka - 1 hour ago

8 by Jackof-allspades »»
1 minute ago

» We need more black anime Waifus.

Gashadokur0 - 5 hours ago

26 by KayKimii »»
2 minutes ago

» Has a canon ship ever ruined a show for you?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

13 by LeonhartAugust »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Anime with better story than art

ST63LTH - Yesterday

20 by eblf2013 »»
9 minutes ago

» Is your waifu wearing her kimono as she should be?

Catalano - Mar 13

15 by FanofAction »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.