Forum Settings
Forums

Has a canon ship ever ruined a show for you?

New
May 24, 4:14 PM

Apr 2018
Have you ever had a situation where a canon romantic relationship in a show negatively impacted your enjoyment of the series? Did it felt forced or overshadowed other aspects of the story?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 24, 4:16 PM

May 2019
No, a canon ship never ruined a show for me.
May 24, 4:18 PM

Dec 2021
Canon makes ships? How much is the shipping and handling for a Canon Ship? Does it have multi-point autofocus? Micro 4/3 or APS-C?

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
May 24, 4:21 PM

Aug 2021
The Titanic sinking ruined my ship, Jack x Rose.

May 24, 4:34 PM

Aug 2018
Harry Potter x Ginny Weasley is the worst ship ever...

It ruined Deathly Hallows for me.

It's obviously Potter x Hermione Granger.

I don't know what the author of the books and creators of the movies were thinking.
May 24, 4:41 PM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
Lovely complex.
Author trying to romanticize the act of not taking the hint.

May 24, 4:47 PM

Aug 2021
Reply to Rhae

I don't know what the author of the books and creators of the movies were thinking.
@Rhae

I agree, Harry x Ginny is terrible, very terrible.

May 24, 4:48 PM

Oct 2013
No. I don't care that much about which 2D drawings bang each other. There are pairings that feel really rushed or not well written, but I rarely watch anything where romance is the main focus, so it doesn't impact my enjoyment that much.
May 24, 4:48 PM

Jan 2010
yes it has but it was only once for now.
May 24, 5:32 PM

Feb 2021
Yes. Fuck Chitoge, fuck Taiga. They don't deserve their victories.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 24, 5:39 PM

Jul 2013
What is a canon ship lol? I don't know...
May 24, 5:39 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
the wrong girl has won before, but ruined? nah
May 24, 6:53 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
None because I don’t watch anime for shipping lmao

Also, what FanofAction said
May 25, 5:20 AM

Mar 2012
Yes, Yuuri x Wolfram, the so called Royal Couple from Kyo Kara Maoh, the series blatantly romanticizes an abusive relationship and it pisses me off to no end.
May 25, 5:21 AM

Feb 2020
"Has a canon ship ever ruined a show for you?"

Not really.
May 25, 5:32 AM

Sep 2016
No yet, but it will happen in the future according to a Demon Slayer spoiler.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 25, 5:40 AM

Nov 2023
nah, I don't really focus on the shipping part that heavily
May 25, 6:12 AM

Mar 2023
Imagine being so fragile minded that you take a fictional cartoon couple personally.
May 25, 6:23 AM

Jun 2011
People be lying around here, I've seen so many people complain about the ending of Gotoubun no Hanayome.

Personally, I haven't got around finishing Chihayafuru because of the end ship. The ship that I was on was one of the main reasons I watch and tried to read the series. I haven't looked at the series the same way since I learned of the ending.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 25, 6:23 AM

May 2020
Not really. Closest one I got is Lulu from FFX. I remember there was this random dialogue option where she asks you if you are into her, and maybe even if you would choose her over the main girl, I can't remember exactly, and yeah if you pick yes she's like "you should date someone your age I'm not a good fit for you".

Bro, imagine having a big tiddy goth in your game, baiting the player to think you can date her, and then she just tells you No. I am actually furious.
May 25, 6:29 AM

Apr 2024
yes, rfffff
Tomboy Tomo is an example
May 25, 6:29 AM

Jul 2021
the girl who got together with the mc at the end of yesterday wo utatte ruined it for me.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 25, 6:41 AM

Feb 2024
All Nana ships are absolutely terrible, for both Nana-girls. The latter part of the show was a torture for me.

@Rhae @Absurdo_N
Harry x Ginny is not as bad as Hermione x Ron lol. The only ship I would accept was Hermione x Luna.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 25, 7:03 AM
Apr 2024
Kind of in rahXhephon, but it has more to do with how the ending was handled with the ship being the biggest example of it
May 25, 7:58 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to LoveYourSmile
All Nana ships are absolutely terrible, for both Nana-girls. The latter part of the show was a torture for me.

@Rhae @Absurdo_N
Harry x Ginny is not as bad as Hermione x Ron lol. The only ship I would accept was Hermione x Luna.
@LoveYourSmile

Hermione x Ron it's also terrible, very terrible.

Hermione x Luna? Looks interesting.

May 25, 8:45 AM

Oct 2010
bro's still mad about true tears, can't blame him tbh
May 25, 10:41 AM

Jul 2013
The only canon ships that I can think of is the girls from Kantai Collection tbh...
May 25, 10:44 AM

Aug 2018
Reply to LoveYourSmile

@Rhae @Absurdo_N
@LoveYourSmile @Absurdo_N

That really sounds like a great pairing. Hermione x Luna.

Hermione x Ron? ๐Ÿคฎ

May 25, 11:13 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Rhae

Hermione x Ron? ๐Ÿคฎ

@Rhae I remember there were some fanfics on the subject - Crazy Little Things comes to my mind, but I think I saw a better (and shorter) one, can't remember the name. I wrote my own back in the days, but never bothered to finish it properly, and not in English ofc.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 25, 11:46 AM

Apr 2021
In quintessential quintuplets and we never learn the only girls i didn't particularly care about won. It's pretty weird to make the character who you invest the least on win.
May 25, 11:47 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Rhae

@Rhae harry potter canon ships are the most forced ones ive seen. They are there just to be there
May 25, 11:48 AM

Aug 2018
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@Rhae I remember there were some fanfics on the subject - Crazy Little Things comes to my mind, but I think I saw a better (and shorter) one, can't remember the name. I wrote my own back in the days, but never bothered to finish it properly, and not in English ofc.
@LoveYourSmile Interesting, I'll put Crazy Little Things on my reading list then.
May 25, 11:52 AM

Aug 2018
Reply to mshfqtny
@Rhae harry potter canon ships are the most forced ones ive seen. They are there just to be there
@mshfqtny Yeah, but it's what J.K. Rowling intended, I guess.
May 25, 12:12 PM

Jan 2022
If I were to read the manga for Usagi drop, I'm sure it would.
Otherwise, not yet.
May 25, 12:12 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Serafos

Not really.
Serafos said:

Not really.

Same here, but it depends on how done the show is and the way it mesh in the shipping part or aspect.
May 25, 1:41 PM

Jul 2016
It has, cannon ball went straight through their heart. ;-;
May 25, 1:54 PM

Jul 2015
In anime, no, but RWBY is a perfect example what happens when author carters to shippers.

May 25, 2:09 PM

Dec 2022
It definitely did in Kurokami: The Animation. A treacherous bint of a side character managed to snag the main character in the end, and combined with the last episode being a recap, it left the most unpalatable aftertaste you could imagine.

๏ฝฒไน‡ๅˆ€ไน‡ไนƒๅฐบ๏พ‘ไน‡
ใŠŽ ใŠฐ
โ˜ฝ Shaded Horizon โ˜พ

May 25, 2:36 PM
Apr 2024
I can't remember any non-canon couples that I liked, honestly. Usually, I end up enjoying the canon pairs and love watching their stories unfold.:)
May 26, 1:41 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Reply to Piromysl
In anime, no, but RWBY is a perfect example what happens when author carters to shippers.
@Piromysl What even happened post volume 3? That's where I stopped ages ago.

May 26, 4:32 PM

Jun 2020
Golden time for sure.

Kouko is an evil manipulative bitch and no one can convince me otherwise. Banri will end up a broken man coming back to Linda after a vicious divorce, mark my words.

Even the way it played out was the dictionary definition of a forced ending
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
May 26, 5:09 PM
Apr 2014
No I am more curious about what the author wanted to write rather than what I would write.
May 26, 9:37 PM

Oct 2022
At the very most there has been times that I may disagree with the writer(s) of a story on which characters should have a romantic relationship with but it's not going to ruin the story for me. If you want a good example of people who do have this problem just go to twitter.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 27, 1:39 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to Rhae

Hermione x Ron? ๐Ÿคฎ

Rhae said:
Hermione x Ron? ๐Ÿคฎ

My hate for the Weasleys knows no bounds. I used to be a huge Hermione simp, but I have no respect for anyone who loves a Weasly. I guess I'm still bitter after all these years. I certainly was one of those nerds who waited in line, under the rain, to buy the newly released books at midnight.

Objectively speaking, I can maybe understand the Hermione x Ron thing (I still hate it and think it's lazy writing) on the basis of the old, stupid trope of "opposites attract". Potter x Ginny never made any sense at all.

The Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite book of the series. I suspect one of the many reasons is that Ron is mostly absent when it matters.

The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

May 27, 1:59 AM

Jul 2021
As long as it's not unexpected incest, BL, or GL, I'm fine

๐•Š๐•™๐•š๐•ฃ๐•  - ๐•Š๐•–๐•š๐•ค๐•™๐•ฆ๐•Ÿ'๐•ค โ„™๐•๐•’๐•ช๐•๐•š๐•ค๐•ฅ
"Time doesn't heal anything, it just teaches us how to live with pain." —Itachi Uchiha
May 31, 1:00 AM

Jul 2015
LeonhartAugust said:
@Piromysl What even happened post volume 3? That's where I stopped ages ago.

They made this "Bumblebee" ship canon without any build up and despite those two having no romantic chemistry. So, when authors decided to commit to it, everything felt forced and made little sense, especially since "exploring" their relationship consumed precious screentime.

May 31, 3:07 AM
Sep 2023
I have, it was when watching Wotakoi with the appearance of Naoya and Kou's characters as a couple.
May 31, 3:07 AM

Jun 2020
yeah I don't understand why Eren wanted to date his sister Mikasa.
May 31, 5:16 AM

Jan 2021
ruined may be a bit too forceful of a word, but i definitely felt dissapointed when yotsuba in quintuplets won.
it felt forced and seemed like negi focused on hiding yotsuba identity as the bride then let her and fuutarou relationship flow naturally.
or maybe the execution was a simply lacking.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
May 31, 4:01 PM

Aug 2019
There's legit a series that I disliked A LOT because of how some stupid love scenario concluded at the end of the series.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast?

Rally- - 3 hours ago

35 by Rally- »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime with best sound tracks!? ( 1 2 )

l_Photon_l - Sep 22

52 by l_Photon_l »»
3 minutes ago

» ๐ŸŽ–๏ธBest Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

667 by ryzxgum »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Why is Japan Afraid of Realism in Anime?

TheSunLife - 11 hours ago

37 by TheSunLife »»
33 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 4 )

707supremacist - May 5

179 by Giorgosman13 »»
1 hour ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.