Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 29, 2017 7:03 AM

Oct 2015
This was a brilliant with great adventure and a good message. The finale was action packed and had great advice, i guess it was a battle between parent (more especially motherhood) vs choices of their kids. At first I did get this anime but in the end it got clear, now what about Salt because he seems to be left out( I guess he represents guys who have prioritize other choices rather than settling).8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 9, 2017 7:05 AM

Apr 2013
Great series. I would love to have seen more of Ayaka though. She's my favourite character of this series.

9/10

Oct 12, 2017 8:24 AM

Aug 2014
I think it has good story plot but fell really slow early and theres alot of plothole.
The ending is very unsatisfying..
I hate it..
I doesnt really explain anything, it doesnt even conclude everything they build.
It just left me with more question.

The show are great but i will just give it 8/10 since i am kind enough to appreciate what they're trying to give.
Just man.. I think it should be a full 24 episode anime...
Dec 9, 2017 6:10 PM

Jun 2017
Sooo I discovered this anime accidentally when someone linked a part of it to me where Papika first goes blue hair thinking it's some kind of Dragon Ball Super parody.

Boy, I didn't know I'd end up having such an adventure. This really turned out to be a hidden gem.

Got lots of Alice in Wonderland vibes from the whole show although I feel like the mother plot came out of nowhere at the end. Too bad they didn't expand on Pure Illusion itself and how Mimi came to possess such power in the first place. I guess the "'she was just born with it" explanation has to do now.

Regardless, it was pretty enjoyable overall.
Jan 7, 2018 8:51 PM

May 2017
Wary_Wolf said:
...It's going to be gutwrenching and I'm gonna cry like a bab...

Eh, not so much, was a nice light anime. Thought was going to get really dark, but it kept it's bright, sweet innocence throughout, with the right amount of sorrow as spice.

Wish we got some more development with some of the characters, but it was all about Papika and Cocona anyway. Now I have to hope that for the rest of the year, I can watch things that are as good. 8/10 from me.

Huh? Princess Principal is done by the same studio? Looks like that one's going back onto the watch list.
Current Events Thread Topics...
Not even once.
Jan 19, 2018 6:16 PM

Jan 2018
Well, I was expecting a dark ending, but things did turn out well in the end. Salt and Mimi's backstory was the highlight of this final arc, and that twist in the ending actually got me. I just don't think it was explained how Papika became a kid again, maybe I missed that out... or not, whatever. Also, I'm kinda disappointed that Yayaka's character arc was given a rather weak ending, almost being brushed off so that the show could go back to focusing on Cocona and Papika.

That being said, this was definitely a great watch overall.
Aug 13, 2018 1:27 PM

Feb 2015
After having watched a clip of a battle scene from this anime, I was convinced I was going to like this one, and I was not disappointed. It really brought something new to the table with every new episode. Despite getting lost on the story, it was still fun to watch, even if for the spectacular visuals alone. 7/10
Aug 30, 2018 12:47 PM

Feb 2018
one of those episodes where everything makes sense in the end

I KNEW SALT WAS COCONAS DAD...well...from like episode 10 and up lol

had no idea before i just thought he was a dick!!

nyunyu is best

also uxuekell and yayaka ship hehe
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2018 9:39 PM

Nov 2013
Okay Papika reverted to a younger age, but HOW?!

Those monsters Mimi summoned were THICCCC

So why were there two Mimis again? I'm confused.

Why did Salt disintegrate? WHAT'S GOING ON?! Jk he's back lol.

Welp...Papika is stuck in pure illusion forever. PLOT TWIST, everyone is in a pure illusion!

Glad Cocona and Papika got their happy ending. :)

Good ending albeit quite the mind fuck.

Great show. Almost gave it a 9, but it rushed to tie up the plot at the end making it needlessly confusing. Still loved its colorful visuals, intruiging story, and well-choreographed fight scenes. 8.5/10

Crossing my fingers for season 2.
FunnyRatmanOct 16, 2018 9:57 PM

Nov 23, 2018 10:44 PM
Jul 2018
Well that was really anticlimactic. In the end, nothing was ultimately lost and it just a generic happy ending. Taking out the vortex in one hit was kind of lame. Also the whole fake out with Cocona waking up in the "real world but hahaha not actually" was also lame. It felt so rushed. I wish that final fight had been a bit longer and they kept that fake world as the real one, but have a final scene that hints or shows Papika in that real world, leaving the ending a bit more open to interpretation and leaving room for a continuation.

Although this series barely sold anything in Japan so it's never getting another season. Just goes to show that as usual, Japan has shit taste.

Episode: 2/5
Series: 8.5/10
Dec 29, 2018 7:53 AM

Apr 2015
Honestly, very underrated.. so surprised not many people talk about this Anime.

This Anime was beautiful, the art was just god damn awesome and I have to say I should have watched this way sooner. Plot was really hard to follow at some points for me, but from reading through some comments here it made a lot more sense to me in the end. They really did their best to be unique!
Jan 8, 2019 12:59 AM

Sep 2017
I'm really late to the game on this one, but, holy shit, this was a great show, and I just felt the need to say it.
Jan 31, 2019 1:41 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
God, GOD I love this series. I know it has small kinks and flaws but overall it's a beautiful story about finding your identity and not needing your past to define yourself, coming out of your shell to make your future possible. Cocona was a great protagonist for that journey, Papika is the best anime girlfriend you could have asked for honestly. I've read a couple analysis before hand talk about how this is even a great identified for appreciating queer identity which I can see and appreciate as an added layer.

I know this will be even better on the rewatch. And I honestly don't understand why people were so bogged down by Papika's age, it seems to me that she was effected by Cocona's amorphous to change her age to reflect Papika's cause she needed a partner and since Cocona could technically make any wish she wanted with her own amorphous being friends with Papika solidified it.

I don't give 10/10 so easily especially on the basis of potential to wow me in the future but I honestly think people slept on the look and message of this story.
Feb 6, 2019 4:51 PM

Sep 2014
Even though Im not the biggest fan of the finale compared to the mid episodes, I can say I have a new favourite anime.

Flip flappers was wholesome, cute, artsy and interesting. Everything felt so connected and properly in place.

I loved every moment of it. This was basically what LWA should have been. I hope we will see many great originals like this in the future!
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 12, 2019 2:56 PM

Dec 2018
dumpster fire crap/10
I can't think of one good quality in this show
Mar 27, 2019 3:46 AM
Jan 2014
I have some questions

Why Papika reverted to younger girl?
Why there were two Mimis?
And why Cocona don't remember Paprika in epi1 since she meet her on pure illusion when was younger?
May 17, 2019 2:16 AM

Jan 2018
This is honestly one of the best examples of a "face-value show" I've ever encountered. Lovable protagonists, great visuals, and a the nature of Pure Illusion allowed for a high level of volatility in the narrative, giving us a unique and creative atmosphere for each episode. I also caught tons of references to other works within the medium, and little Easter eggs in this kind of show always add to the fun for me.

That said, the series does fall short in a number of areas, namely in the loose ends it left among many of its supporting characters/organizations subplots, as well as any attempt at creating a true level of depth or underlying symbolism. I'm sure there's something there that I might be able to pick up on a second viewing, but frankly this is just one of those "all said and done" series for me. But I definitely appreciate it for the fun ride it took me on- had a great time watching it, not gonna lie.

Solid 7/10 overall.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 17, 2019 2:18 AM

Jan 2009
Greyleaf said:
This is honestly one of the best examples of a "face-value show" I've ever encountered. Lovable protagonists, great visuals, and a the nature of Pure Illusion allowed for a high level of volatility in the narrative, giving us a unique and creative atmosphere for each episode. I also caught tons of references to other works within the medium, and little Easter eggs in this kind of show always add to the fun for me.

That said, the series does fall short in a number of areas, namely in the loose ends it left among many of its supporting characters/organizations subplots, as well as any attempt at creating a true level of depth or underlying symbolism. I'm sure there's something there that I might be able to pick up on a second viewing, but frankly this is just one of those "all said and done" series for me. But I definitely appreciate it for the fun ride it took me on- had a great time watching it, not gonna lie.

Solid 7/10 overall.

nice that you enjoy it man lol i thought its very entertaining too
May 17, 2019 2:19 AM

Jan 2018
deg said:
Greyleaf said:

Solid 7/10 overall.

How did you know I would be posting here? lol xD

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges

May 17, 2019 2:20 AM

Jan 2009
Greyleaf said:
deg said:

lol i see every bump thread to the top by lurking here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?action=recent
May 17, 2019 2:22 AM

Jan 2018
deg said:
Greyleaf said:

lol i see every bump thread to the top by lurking here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?action=recent

I was about to say.. that just came totally out of nowhere hahah

"
― Jorge Luis Borges

May 17, 2019 2:24 AM

Jan 2009
Greyleaf said:
deg said:

I was about to say.. that just came totally out of nowhere hahah

lol i just press F5 "refresh button" a lot on that recent activity page and coincidence i saw your post there at the top
Jul 19, 2019 1:31 AM

Oct 2017
This was quite the enjoyable series overall. I loved the art and animation and the story was good but some of the characters felt useless and there is still questions I want answers for (this seems to happen with every show almost). The ending was average but I wanted a happy ending so I'm not that disappointed. I'd give this show a 7 or 8/10
HidekStk said:
I have some questions

Why Papika reverted to younger girl?
Why there were two Mimis?
And why Cocona don't remember Paprika in epi1 since she meet her on pure illusion when was younger?

I'll try to answers these questions although I might be wrong.

It seemed like Papika was reverted to a younger girl thanks to Mimi sending Cocona with her before she disappeared into Pure Illusion. This might have been an attempt by Mimi to make Papika forget about her and focus on Cocona.

There were two Mimis because one was the kind and friendly version of herself while the other was the one that was her anger and wanted to protect what was most dearest to her. Think of a person with a split personality and when the kind Mimi couldn't protect Cocona she let her other side take over to help her but then split in two as they wanted different things.

For why Cocona can't remember Papika despite meeting in Pure Illusion before could simply be memory loss. Papika had completely forgotten about Mimi at the beginning of the series and didn't know who Cocona was until her memories of Mimi were returning. I'm going to assume that they both somehow lost their memories while in Pure Illusion as the reason for this happening. I know none of this is solid answers but I hope it sort of helps.
Aug 6, 2019 3:56 PM

Jul 2011
What a ride. Flip Flappers is definitely one of those shows you won't get everything at a first glance, both visually and story-wise/thematically. Very similarly to Ikuhara's works or one of my favorite anime, Kyousougiga. I personally really enjoy these type of shows as it helps me have a deeper appreciation for all the smaller things that you don't catch right away. It truly is a shame that the anime did not do too well in Japan. I can't count the number of anime that you can clearly tell has so much heart and passion put into them, but end up with the same fate.

One other big praise I'd like to give is for the OST. Easily one of my favorite OSTs out of anything I've watched so far this year. I hope that Flip Flappers gets the recognition it deserves one day.

Oct 15, 2019 2:38 PM

Sep 2017
a magical yuri without an tragic death ending?? but a happy one? WE ACHIEVED THAT?? im so happy omg i wish they would of showed more of the ending but im so satisfied by having a good ending already.
this was so fun to watch,the colours,the characters,the over the top scenarios,it was all so enjoyable and a nice change of pace from the typical seasonals!!

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Feb 1, 2020 4:58 AM
Aug 2017
AAAA i love itt, i hope their is more to come! This would definitely make a good sound(?) game like osu, cytus, 10/10.
Feb 11, 2020 4:40 PM
Nov 2015
This anime has so much potential to be masterpiece ir they keep same writer, you can clearly see how DEEP and symbolism start to dissapeard from episode 6 (were writers left) ... I'm pretty sure like they mention they use their ideas and thats why ep 7 was still very good, then semi use his ideas to Epi 8/9 and those were good but the LAST 3 EPISODES felt like fanfiction from a great idea .

i like It, i did enjoy the journey but last 3 episodes make this 10/10 anime to a 7,5-8 anime
Mar 31, 2020 11:02 PM

May 2013
NUUUUUUUUUUUU, YAYAKA TT^TT someone include her and make it a threesome, dammit D:<

Overall.
I liked some of the plot twists and a couple of the dark episodes. The Nyunyu thing was irrelevant. Some parts of the anime was messy.

7/10
Apr 10, 2020 1:20 AM
Feb 2016
Weird but funnily it's been a fun watch lmao. The drama sometimes annoys me tho. At least a happy ending
May 5, 2020 9:18 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
An okay ending, by adding a happy-forever couple CoconaxPapika in nice way, adventuring infinitves the infinite of pure of the illusion. Okay, guys, okay, hope you understand my phrase, there! Despite how my mind really get 'flip flap' fuck up situation, because i don't even know where is the real world and the illusion one at. The flip flappers got their needed at all, to completely ignoring the edge of the two world in existences. Such a nice way to finish the whole complex shitty-story-plot with too much unexplainable, in the beginning til its half of the session.

Well, thankfully, Yayaka dont get too upset losing her love because ofc there is a prince charming, Mr Uexkull green rabbit, at your services! Glad seeing Flip Flap organisation and its crews keep established and full of joy, referring the last scenes revelations. Nice scenes too where everyone always be on happy-happy condition. Almost everyone, siding how Dr 'useless' Salt never forget about what happen in the pure illusion until the end, lol! Cheer Salt, bro, you have Sayuri-san there, so why you still upset? Haha!

At last, from the first until the end, i rather give an average score in term of good story telling and building for the entire show. This sure was a lacking point and a weakness for the show. However, at my personal enjoyment, i had so much fun and joy, referring how colorful and cheerishness fully aware to this show. Dont forget about so much parody of the other ankmes happen there, and there on the whole episodes. Dont forget too about nice Yuri subplot added and fanservices attached with the two main heroine cuteness loli art. Dont forget too again, about its amazing soundtracks OP and ED, i really love them all!

Afterall, at my honest point of view, this show shall be more enough to prove as an amazing show. While having too much problem for its story to develop, with so much plot hole happen everywhere, i keep enjoying the entire show. Overall credit goes from 7 up to 8 points at max, referring how incredible this show stabilize its story into the last climax. Sadly, the momment just end. Since Coco and Papi will keep flying like there infinitive, the show shall be always airing infinitive too in your illusions.

So, thats how the real ending stated. Its definition got too understandable in the last second of time. Get it? No? Its okay! Time for me to flip flap again, and begone!

8/10 my final credit scores for this show. Moving out.
badabassMay 5, 2020 9:40 AM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 26, 2020 8:34 PM

Jun 2016
Jesus. The last three episodes felt like I was on a rollercoaster—and not in a good way. They were way too fast, gave me no time to breathe, and by the end of it, I felt like my brain was ejected somewhere around the middle and it's currently trying to catch up. They could really have benefited from having a few more episodes. Or maybe even just one more. Just more time so that it isn't going a million miles a minute.

The series as a whole seems to have pacing issues, honestly. There were many instances, especially in the earlier episodes, where it felt like they were trying to stuff too much into a single episodes and skimped on certain scenes. In spite of that, most elements in this anime were pretty good, I'd say. The animation was great, same with the directing (episodes 5 and 6 stand out), the story was decent (when it wasn't being rushed), and the characters were fun. I'm wavering between a 7 and an 8, mainly for the finale. Before episode 11 it was a solid 8/10. 11-13 disillusioned me a bit, to the point I'm considering a 7.
Aug 25, 2020 3:40 PM

Feb 2020
Well, that was rushed... So rushed that way too many things haven't received any explanation.
Why did Papika get younger ? How did she lose her memories and then why did she suddenly get them back ? What kind of exams were Cocona and Yayaka going through when they met each other ? Who is Cocona's father ? How exactly is Cocona gonna live given that everything she knew turned out being fake ? What was the point in showing Mimi suddenly reassuring Cocona last episode ? What was up with this weird organization ? Why did Yayaka want to take over the world ? What kind of wish were Cocona and Papika fighting for ? Why does Mimi still look so young despite having aged ?
AND WHY DO NYUNYU AND IROHA EVEN EXIST AS CHARACTERS ?!

This show was full of good ideas but it's been so rushed, that's frustrating... I liked Mimi as a villain, I really did because she was very interesting, but she changed her mind way too abruptly, there's no way she could've learned her lesson just like that.
I also truly liked Papika at first but her character was very inconsistent throughout the show (she actually suffers from what a lot of characters her type also suffer from : established innocence and social obliviousness that sometimes get erase so that the plot can move on and then is established again, but consequently makes it hard to excuse the character's insensitivity due to having been shown that they're able to understand what's going on), and she really wasn't as eccentric and charming as I first expected her to be. Guess I got baited by her unique adorkable facial expressions...
Cocona was... Your typical heroine, like really. And that's too bad because there was a lot of potential behind her character.
Yayaka was my favorite character and now shares this place with Mimi but I'm very frustrated by what they did to her arc in the last episode. They didn't even actually give her a conclusion because they suddenly forgot what her whole arc was supposed to be about.
The twins were interesting but underused. They would've deserved way more screentime.
Salt was also an interesting character and could've become my favorite if the show didn't wait 10 episodes before making him become an actual character.
As for the others, they were fun to watch but that's really all there is to their character.

And for the rest, it's just too inconsistent. The show introduced itself as a wacky, fun adventure full of unique concepts and worlds in a fairytale-like setting but with multiple layers revealed through each episode. Even the more serious episodes like the one covering Iroha's past still felt totally unique in the way they were handled.
And yet at some point, the show lost itself to become your typical serious story about identity. It's not bad, but it's not what I came for. The reason I started this show was to see everything it'd be able to create while at the same time narrating a good story. I ended up with a messy story without any kind of fantasy. And that's disappointing. It could've been so much more if it didn't have this identity crisis.

But for all my criticisms, it's still good. I really loved some aspects, Iroha's episode is one of my all-time favorites, the show's message, despite being pretty cliche, was told a very interesting way, there was a real charm even if it was kinda lost by the end...
I give this show a 7, I don't have the heart to give it 6, not after what it made me feel at some point and not after all the heart that clearly went into this show. But I'm still frustrated.
FafetteAug 25, 2020 3:47 PM
Oct 3, 2020 6:04 AM

Apr 2009
Decent start but the ending is meh. Overprotective mother the anime.

Her mother ('s clone?)as the antagonist was in very bad taste. To many plot devices. The core of the story makes no sense. Salt and Mimi were very badly written. Pure Illustion does not make any sense.

The transformations did nothing to the story. The gems were there as a plot device. Pure Illusion was just a setting so the story is not boring.

Feels like they took the best parts of Kill La Kill and Madoka and sparkled it on top. Very disappointed how it ended.
Mar 21, 2021 7:51 AM

Feb 2020
Despite the happy ending I found this episode a bit underwhelming and rushed. I couldn't understand everything what was going on.

The whole story was somehow confusing and inconsistent.

I still enjoyed the this wacky ride. This is one of the most unique anime I have ever seen.

Props:
- Amazing visuals
- The interaction between Cocona and Papika was adorable
- Soundtrack
- Cute ED

SerafosDec 17, 2023 2:13 AM
Oct 5, 2021 12:13 AM

Feb 2019
The show ended.

I feel sad..

So, everything is alright. Evil Mimi is defeated. The world where Cocona and Papika live is full of colors and that is their real world, not the bleak one that looks more realistic before Cocona finds Papika which is actually inside Pure Illusion. Mimi is staying in Pure Illusion. Salt is really Cocona's father!!

About Papika's de-aging, it was because she was trapped inside that tree in the lake, intersting.

10/10, I wish they made a second season.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Dec 9, 2021 10:16 PM
Aug 2021
Ep11 was so hype but I don't really understand so much of the events after watching ep13. They had left too many things unexplained.
My biggest confusion is how does mimi have so much power? Did she enter the world simply because she just had this power? Or did she entered the real world because her daughter or the evil cult collected all the stones somehow so that some sort of entrance between the two worlds opemed?
And when they were fighting agianst mimi while the good mimi is watching with salt, what is actually going on? Was goodbmimi using bad mimi to help her cocona yayaka papika to make their own future?
But at least somehow they are able to conclude this series with an ending that is the most easiest to accept if assumimg everything is logically sound based on the world view they provided.
Mar 20, 2022 4:55 PM

Aug 2013
Not sure why they crammed everything into just 13 episodes when it has the potential to stretch out way more. Animation and art were great though and vibrant
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Aug 6, 2022 6:16 AM
Aug 2020
Well, at least it was never boring. Yayaka's character made no sense to me and this show suffered from adding way too many unnecessary characters, something that I noticed a lot of anime original shows suffer from. The ending was...okay, I doubt I will remember anything about this show in two days.
Nov 8, 2022 9:52 PM

Oct 2022
Well this has been a journey. Flip Flappers has been amazing, the show had so many strong aspects but I would say that standing above them all is the show's incredible art direction.

I also really liked the instrumental version of the ED that played when Papika and Cocona were having a heart to heart about their adventures under the red sky.

Nov 12, 2023 11:26 PM
Oct 2021
Not perfect in terms of explanations, but still a solid watch overall. I’m giving this a 7.5(rounded to 8)/10!
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

3 by Berhinger »»
May 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2016

188 by natraesitur »»
Jul 5, 2023 11:25 PM

Poll: » How much sexual content is in this show?

PokeFan2112 - Dec 27, 2022

16 by Armosaurus »»
Apr 22, 2023 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.