Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2016 6:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah I knew it. Guren is back and I thought their fight is more like a personal rivalry.

Nice background storytelling. It's really interesting to learn about the context of the history regarding Hakumen no Mono, who is pretty much dubbed the main antagonist of this show now. Guren's a lot tougher than I had expected ;o

Apr 15, 2016 8:06 AM

Jan 2015
At first, I'm kinda confused with Hyou's explanation. So there's Guren, Azafuse, and Tora which is basically the "Alpha" Azafuse. But after that flashback and further conversation in-fight between Tora and Guren, it all become clear.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Apr 15, 2016 8:24 AM

Apr 2014
We finally learned what exactly happens to you if you get consumed by the spear

It's interesting to know that all the Azafuse were once users of the spear and that Tora was once human

I guess Hakumen no Mono gave was the one who gave Guren wolverine face claws

Rape Face

OrangeJPApr 15, 2016 8:29 AM

Apr 15, 2016 8:25 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Two crazy reveals plus confirmation on my Guren theory all in one episode =o

Man I cannot wait to see how this whole thing will play out.....I wonder if Tora and the others will be able to turn back into humans as well at the end
Apr 15, 2016 8:26 AM

Jul 2013
So Tora and Guren were previous users of the Beast Spear who weren't saved. So basically, if Ushio wouldn't have been saved by his friends, he would have become a Tora-like creature? He is lucky indeed.

Nice to having Hyou back after being absent for a lot of episodes. His expressions through the episode, however...

On another note, we will have an explanation of what Guren is, but what are the army of Tora-like monsters that there are always with him?

It seems this is going to be straight to the final battle.
Apr 15, 2016 9:03 AM

Nov 2015
Well, that was a interesting ep.
I was surprised to know that Tora had such a rich backstory, him being a human before.
I totally forgot about Hyou's mystery monster but great to know it was that ugly Guren.
So Hakumen no Mono manipulating Guren wasn't so tough I guess seeing he was bad from the start.
The designs of other Azafuze was interesting, now I'm curious to see what Tora looked in human form lol!
Nice ED by the way (heard it first time).
Apr 15, 2016 9:51 AM

Oct 2014
OrangeJP said:

Rape Face

Shucks, I laughed :(
At least say, the revenge face - Hyou's past was sad.
~~
I loved the scene where young Hyou returns to home and black Tora (yes, I am calling it that) stretches a ligament/meat and blood droplets splatter across the scene made it look really brutal.

I never know rock hairstyle was so famous among the youkai

(Azafuze technically but you get my point?)
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apr 15, 2016 10:08 AM

Sep 2013
The past wielders of the sbeast spears lost control and turned into Azafuse and Tora is one of them :O

Hyou finally finds his families killer but he lost :( rematch on the way.
Apr 15, 2016 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
It was an interesting episode!

The past wielders of Beast Spear lost control and turned into Azafuse.
Apr 15, 2016 10:54 AM

Nov 2013
Illyricus said:
On another note, we will have an explanation of what Guren is, but what are the army of Tora-like monsters that there are always with him?

Those are Kokuen, born from Guren's body. It's one of the powers he received from Hakumen no Mono.

You see, in the manga the events of this episode happened before everyone forgot about Ushio, so he already knew who Guren was when he showed up to attack the other bakemono. That was when Guren explained about his "children". I guess the anime removed that dialogue because it would be weird to see the new villain talking about what his servants are when we don't even know who he is.
Apr 15, 2016 11:08 AM

Jun 2014
Some nice reveals in this episode, particularly Guren being the one who killed Hyou's family as well as some information regarding what happens to Beast Spear users who lose control. I wonder if we'll actually see what Tora looked like as a human, but for some reason I doubt that'll happen.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 15, 2016 11:16 AM

Apr 2014
thebrentinator24 said:
Some nice reveals in this episode, particularly Guren being the one who killed Hyou's family as well as some information regarding what happens to Beast Spear users who lose control. I wonder if we'll actually see what Tora looked like as a human, but for some reason I doubt that'll happen.

my bet is that tora is the guy who created the beast spear thats why he is the "alpha", the reason why he hates the hakumen no mono but no because the spear was saying that to him and why he "likes" mayuko and because one of the azafuse said that tora hates the HnM because of personal reasons
Apr 15, 2016 12:03 PM

Feb 2014
Ferax said:
thebrentinator24 said:

my bet is that tora is the guy who created the beast spear thats why he is the "alpha", the reason why he hates the hakumen no mono but no because the spear was saying that to him and why he "likes" mayuko and because one of the azafuse said that tora hates the HnM because of personal reasons

Except no, that can't be the case, because the one who forged the beast spear became part of it in the process.
Apr 15, 2016 12:08 PM

Jul 2015
Damn the truth behind Tora and tre other Azafuse. Really awesome!
Apr 15, 2016 12:45 PM

Jul 2013
JGChaves said:
Illyricus said:

Those are Kokuen, born from Guren's body. It's one of the powers he received from Hakumen no Mono.

You see, in the manga the events of this episode happened before everyone forgot about Ushio, so he already knew who Guren was when he showed up to attack the other bakemono. That was when Guren explained about his "children". I guess the anime removed that dialogue because it would be weird to see the new villain talking about what his servants are when we don't even know who he is.
I see. Thank you for the explanation. Though it's a pity they went that rushed and didn't adapted the manga properly...
Apr 15, 2016 1:03 PM

Dec 2012
This episode was gold. And I'll give S2 a 8/10 only for the azafuse and Guren's designs.
Apr 15, 2016 2:05 PM

Dec 2015
Did not expect the reveals that happened this episode, really was a interesting one. That Tora, Guren and the rest of the Azafuse being previous spear wielders who lost control. Nice to see Hyou back again, looking forward to see how his personal battle with Guren will be resolved.

Apr 15, 2016 2:21 PM

Jan 2008
Very interesting revelations to Tora's look-a-likes, the Azafuse. Ushio was close to becoming one of them as well last season. I wonder if Ushio's ancestor is among one of them, seeing as how they all apparently forgot their human memories? Wait, I take that back...just remembered that he later became a monk after pinning Tora to the basement and parted with the spear.
Estoy_GordoApr 15, 2016 2:31 PM
Apr 15, 2016 2:27 PM

Jun 2013
wow what an amazing revelations episode
Apr 15, 2016 2:52 PM

Aug 2011
Its said that Tora once used to Beast Spear but if so, shouldn't he had been a statue to a point and still retain at least some his memories of that time? This episode brought with is some revelation but a whole lot more mysteries with it.

4kicks said:
Wait, I take that back...just remembered that he later became a monk after pinning Tora to the basement and parted with the spear.

Yeah, what about him? shouldn't he had become one of those Azafuse? How did they seal the Beast Spear in the beginning again? Wouldn't the Beast Spear tied to set itself free and continue its hunt instead of staying still for centuries?

There's really too much questions with this episode.
Apr 15, 2016 3:41 PM
Mar 2014
soooo Tora is a old user of Spear, like Guren to. But Tora have unsolved problems with Hakumen. I need the next epi, nowwww. hehe.
Apr 15, 2016 9:23 PM
Aug 2014
I resisted reading the manga since season 1, but this episode revelation makes it really hard not to.
Apr 15, 2016 9:30 PM

Aug 2015
I love this show.

So basically, the azafuse were once humans who used the Beast Spear and were consumed by it.
That also makes Tora an azafuse.
Tora was once human. But does not remember anything from his human self.

Do we know if Ushio has truly been "saved"? Or has the inevitable just been delayed?
If so, would that mean Ushio would turn into an azafuse at some point in the future?

We already know that there's some element of time travel in the show.
So what if, Ushio defeats Hakumen no Mono, still turns into an azafuse.
That azafuse is.... Tora! And then he goes back in time, and ends up meeting up with Ushio (his past self), in order to help him defeat Hakumen no Mono. And that's why he's immune to turning into stone, because he's from after Hakumen no Mono was already defeated.

Yes, it's a bit paradoxical in nature, but many great time-travel stories are. Time/Nature has a way of trying to "clean itself" and things that would help the greater good tend to just... Happen.
Timey wimey. (Yes, that's a Doctor Who "Blink" reference)

It's also all revealed in the name of the show.
Ushio to Tora.
He changes from Ushio, to Tora.

*mind explode*

(I don't actually believe this, but I love the theory as an "alternative path*, and find it plausible within the story so-far.)
Apr 16, 2016 12:16 AM
Nov 2013
The Azafuse revelation was really shocking, holy fuck. So that means TORA was a beast spear wielded at one point?
Apr 16, 2016 12:52 AM

Nov 2012
I'm not so sure I'm found of this, this means Ushio being able to connect with the demons is because Tora was formerly a human, or at least it'll seem that way. Also, was that the same Haku avatar as before? Because if not I'm starting to think Hakumen no Mono is a female identity, hell even if its not the same one as before I'll still say the thing seems to like taking female bodies and having female avatars.
Jaywalker.
Apr 16, 2016 3:42 AM

Mar 2013
Epicenter said:
I'm not so sure I'm found of this, this means Ushio being able to connect with the demons is because Tora was formerly a human, or at least it'll seem that way. Also, was that the same Haku avatar as before? Because if not I'm starting to think Hakumen no Mono is a female identity, hell even if its not the same one as before I'll still say the thing seems to like taking female bodies and having female avatars.

Hakumen no Mono clearly IS a female, especially since she has a female voice even in the fox form.
Apr 16, 2016 4:17 AM

Jan 2015
The only thing that I want to do right now - is to see Tora's human form ( how he was in the past ), good episode as always, but a bit slow
Apr 16, 2016 4:28 AM

Jan 2011
When I saw at the end of the previous season that it was going straight to the point of no return I got a little worried that they weren't gonna do the Azafuse. Thankfully they just placed it later, since it gives important info on Tora and Hyou. So instead of Hyou coming to train Ushio, he's there because of the hiyou erasing everyone's memory. I forgot his eye kept him safe from it, which eliminated the problem of how to fit this in.
Apr 16, 2016 8:26 AM

Mar 2013
I really don't get why they moved the position of this in the story... It made it pretty awkward.

Apr 16, 2016 2:22 PM

Nov 2011
I liked how it was serious the whole episode...and then there's Tora licking a Popsicle LOL Gotta love it.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 16, 2016 4:48 PM
Apr 2014
Did not see that Azafuse plot tweest coming, I did not know there were that many people who used the beast spear, so is Tora the black smith who forged the spear or the samurai who defeated Tora with the spear? maybe neither, I'd go with the samurai because the blacksmith's soul still lies within the spear.
I wonder why Tora doesn't turn into a rock like others? because he sticks to the beast spear?
I hope Hakumen no Mono has a similar interesting backstory twist to him, so far he's just big grumpy cat.
This second season is awesome so far.
Apr 17, 2016 3:45 PM

Jan 2015
So if every azafuse turned to stone, how could tora roam around for thousand of year earning himself a name amongst the youkai and humans? Also didnt hyou mention that originally there was only one azafuse? Why did they become more?
Apr 17, 2016 6:23 PM

Jan 2013
Interesting revelation about Tora and azafuse.
There has to be an episode this season going into what kind of person Tora used to be. That will be key
Apr 18, 2016 2:03 PM

Aug 2010
Yay, more Hyou action.

A lot of exposition, but it's important stuff, at least. Tora's backstory should be verrrry soon.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 21, 2016 8:44 PM

Nov 2014
LN3000 said:
I love this show.

So basically, the azafuse were once humans who used the Beast Spear and were consumed by it.
That also makes Tora an azafuse.
Tora was once human. But does not remember anything from his human self.

Do we know if Ushio has truly been "saved"? Or has the inevitable just been delayed?
If so, would that mean Ushio would turn into an azafuse at some point in the future?

We already know that there's some element of time travel in the show.
So what if, Ushio defeats Hakumen no Mono, still turns into an azafuse.
That azafuse is.... Tora! And then he goes back in time, and ends up meeting up with Ushio (his past self), in order to help him defeat Hakumen no Mono. And that's why he's immune to turning into stone, because he's from after Hakumen no Mono was already defeated.

Yes, it's a bit paradoxical in nature, but many great time-travel stories are. Time/Nature has a way of trying to "clean itself" and things that would help the greater good tend to just... Happen.
Timey wimey. (Yes, that's a Doctor Who "Blink" reference)

It's also all revealed in the name of the show.
Ushio to Tora.
He changes from Ushio, to Tora.

*mind explode*

(I don't actually believe this, but I love the theory as an "alternative path*, and find it plausible within the story so-far.)

Actually Tora's Background is tied to Hakumo itself so his background wont be revealed until the very end of the story
Apr 22, 2016 1:26 AM

Dec 2012
Oh damn what an episode! I wonder how things will pan out at the end. :I
Apr 23, 2016 8:43 AM

Dec 2015
Does anyone know the approximate year that the spear was made? Cause if Tora is around or over 2k years he must be up there as some of the first of them. Could you imagine a team of Tora's fighting xD. Also I really wanna know what Hyou meant by Tora having personal ties to hakumen. Hyou vs Guren should be an epic fight.
Apr 23, 2016 10:31 PM
Dec 2015
MoanaAvengers said:
Does anyone know the approximate year that the spear was made? Cause if Tora is around or over 2k years he must be up there as some of the first of them. Could you imagine a team of Tora's fighting xD. Also I really wanna know what Hyou meant by Tora having personal ties to hakumen. Hyou vs Guren should be an epic fight.

Beast Spear was made 2200 years ago (mentioned in ep19 when they time-traveled back to ancient China).

Tora, as a youkai, was known for at least 2000 years old (mentioned in ep12, the female Kamaitachi learned it from the mirror youkai). Exact age unknown.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
English is not my first language. Sorry for the bad grammar or wordings.
Apr 24, 2016 9:12 AM

Jan 2015
Hyou really got into the fight huh. That stupid scary grin he had.
Apr 26, 2016 10:40 AM

Dec 2012
Wow these revelations are interesting, great episode
Apr 27, 2016 2:47 PM

Nov 2010
This part is so much weaker.
Apr 30, 2016 7:45 AM

Jan 2013
That plot revelation.

So Tora was a human once, that's interesting to hear. Azafuses are such weird creatures, though. And Ushio was so close at becoming one too, though.
Jul 6, 2016 11:58 PM

Mar 2015
Nice one, we're after finding out why there are more Tora-folk and the reason for their existence.. Shame about Hyou not able to exact revenge on Guren but there are 10 more episodes to see it happen so I'll be patient!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 15, 2016 10:56 AM

Mar 2016
I like that Azafuse are essentially back up minions created by the Spear to act against Hakumen No Mono. If you have no personal grudge against Hakumen, the Spear will guide you to fight him, but apparently Tora did have a personal beef with him, thus he never needed to become stone and get that message. He was already going to do it.

Guren, who's the only who's black because he was so truly twisted, however, was able to overcome that notion and instead side with Hakumen.

I'm just glad Hyou's explanation of being at that cave was explained. I was wracking my brain of how the Hakumen piece in the cave could help him... then it was said it was time demon and... oh. That makes perfect sense.

Also makes sense that he never came around it before, since this was his first time in Japan.

Good episode; probably would've loved it completely had I not read the manga chapter first.

hayka said:
Its said that Tora once used to Beast Spear but if so, shouldn't he had been a statue to a point and still retain at least some his memories of that time? This episode brought with is some revelation but a whole lot more mysteries with it.

4kicks said:
Wait, I take that back...just remembered that he later became a monk after pinning Tora to the basement and parted with the spear.

Yeah, what about him? shouldn't he had become one of those Azafuse? How did they seal the Beast Spear in the beginning again? Wouldn't the Beast Spear tied to set itself free and continue its hunt instead of staying still for centuries?

There's really too much questions with this episode.

Not everyone who wields the spear loses control. I believe Ushio's ancestor only used it that one time. He kinda had to, as it was sealed in the basement thereafter.

And, calm down; you're jumping the gun. Obviously, there's still a segment of the Beast Spear's past that has yet to be revealed. All we know is, it was created in China, hunted for Hakumen, found him briefly but he escaped, the spear then took out its frustrations on youkai who sealed it with red cloth on all sides and one guy later visited it...

Missing segment

Somehow it's free later on where Guren found it and then the others before eventually winding up in the Aotsuki family and their basement.

The missing segment, I feel, probably has a lot to do with Tora's backstory and... ahem, that first guy who probably tore it loose from its seal. Keep in mind too, only when the spear is completely naked without cloth can it zoom about on its own; the seal is heavily weakened from the small amount of cloth still on it, but it's still enough to keep its free will sealed without a user.

We'll get to it, no doubt.

AntonKutovoi said:
Epicenter said:

Hakumen no Mono clearly IS a female, especially since she has a female voice even in the fox form.

You can't apply genders so easily on Youkai. I actually view Hakumen's preference for using female avatars because he relishes slipping in and manipulating countries to destruction; the slow and steady crumbling in fear vs just blowing crap up.
Women generally get special treatment and are far more easily trusted by almost everyone; it's just a known fact, hence why Hakumen chooses the female human form.

It makes perfect sense with his character to me.
CrimsonCWAug 16, 2016 11:57 AM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Sep 16, 2016 9:42 AM
Aug 2016
Ahhh I want to know what Tora was like when he was human.
Oct 16, 2016 5:56 AM
Sep 2009
I guess since Wakamoto and Hayashibara are in the same anime, they can't be the same person. :D
Apr 18, 2017 6:07 AM

Feb 2013
All the Azafuse were humans who were taken over by the spear, cool.
Guren is the bastard who killed Hyou's family.
Jul 20, 2017 8:42 AM

Dec 2015
Sugoi sugoi, so Tora was also a user at some point in time, I wanna see his human form!!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 24, 2017 11:57 PM

Dec 2012
Hyou is back.
WTF! More Tora lookalike's.
So that's what happened. Plus, Tora was human.
Rikiya vs Norio!
Hyou got that rape face going on.
lol at Tora licking the sea salt ice cream.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 14, 2019 11:19 PM
Jun 2013
wait a second so tora race is basically humans that fell to the beast spears monster transformation and turn to stone till the fight of hakumen is near, but the spear kinds of screws them up. Pretty good twist there. Makes me want to know about toras human days. Also wow this dark tora sure was and still is a scumbag.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2016

101 by Maou_heika »»
Apr 13, 6:46 AM

» How much did they skip?

BestBoiEren - Apr 3, 2016

14 by LynnVy »»
Feb 16, 6:15 PM

» Season 2 questions

VinnyDark70 - Jun 7, 2021

6 by ksm4367 »»
Aug 20, 2023 1:45 AM

» List of Ushio to Tora anime (2015) skipped manga chapters?

MetalTxus - Aug 13, 2017

6 by Tsurugi10 »»
Mar 28, 2023 11:00 PM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2016

63 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jan 29, 2022 1:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.