Forum Settings
Forums

Would you rather have 100% of receiving $1m or 50% chance of receiving one billion?

New
Would you rather
Jan 20, 2021 1:40 AM

Aug 2016
Bonus Question:
Have a million dollars but you can't spend more than $1k on something, you can't launder it, and you can't spend more than $100k a year.

Or...

Have 1/4 of it, and you're free to do anything with it.

Edit:kill me I accidentally clicked enter, now the poll is fucked
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあなたが選んだ兄弟です
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2静か先生88#7307
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 20, 2021 1:51 AM

Aug 2019
There is a huge difference between 1 million and 1 billion.
1 million isn't even that much.
I'd go for 1 billion and just suck it up if I didn't get it
Jan 20, 2021 1:57 AM

May 2014
This is a no brainer, you ask for the 1 million because it's guarenteed. At least with a million most people could buy a house or pay of their debts, that's a very good deal.
I've been here way too long...
Jan 20, 2021 1:58 AM

Aug 2009
2shizukasensei88 said:
Bonus Question:
Have a million dollars but you can't spend more than $1k on something, you can't launder it, and you can't spend more than $100k a year.

Or...

Have 1/4 of it, and you're free to do anything with it.

Edit:kill me I accidentally clicked enter, now the poll is fucked

Would you rather have 100% of receiving $1m or 50% chance of receiving one billion? I would rather have the 100% chance of receiving 1 million. A bird in the hand in worth two in the bush. The million is a sure thing while the billion isn't.

As for the bonus question.
I am cool with having a million dollars and not being able to spend more than a 100,000 a year. I make roughly make around 20,000 year.So being able to spend an extra 8.3 grand a month would be a huge bonus. That kind of limitation would actually be beneficial to me due to the fact I tend to spend money as soon as I get it.Like somehow its burning a hole in my pocket and I got to spend it immediately.
Jan 20, 2021 2:01 AM

Apr 2020
I would go with 100% chance of a million. I'd be satisfied enough with that amount. 'Cause although if I win that 50% chance and get 1B, I would have no idea how Im gonna properly use it.
Jan 20, 2021 2:09 AM

Sep 2020
100% chance of 1 mill. I don't need that much money right now.

I would have a quarter and I have the ability to do anything with it, there are many things I would purchase that costs more that 1000$.
Jan 20, 2021 2:17 AM

Aug 2018
i'd rather have 100% of receiving $1m.
Jan 20, 2021 2:19 AM

Jan 2009
1 million dollars is enough for me and thats a lot of money if converted to philippine peso

this is somewhat related to what science calls Hyperbolic Discounting btw short small rewards are usually preferred by the brain than long term big rewards
Jan 20, 2021 2:20 AM

Aug 2016
Like the first reply, I'll go with 1 billion cause fuck it, the world doesn't own me shit if I get nothing, and even if I can probably just have 1 million and live of it for the rest of my life in this 3rd world country, 1 million usd is ain't even that much if you think about it, I can probably work it off somehow, but I don't know about 1 billion though.

Bonus Question, I'll take 1 million, because it will probably cover my food and occasional toys for the rest of eternity.
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあなたが選んだ兄弟です
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2静か先生88#7307
Jan 20, 2021 2:50 AM

Mar 2019
Guaranteed chance of $1 million because there's a tremendous amount that I could do with $1 million in my hands. I think people here are underestimating how much a million actually is. Yes, its not "I don't have to work a day in my life anymore" kind of money. But its a seriously substantial amount. You could buy a house outright with $1 mil with no mortgage payments and still have plenty left over to invest in stocks that will give you massive returns.

If I had a million dollars in my hands, with my dad's advice on stock markets, there's literally no way I could fail in life anymore. There's no way I'd give that up for the sake of being greedy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2021 3:05 AM

Jul 2012
1 million upfront is basically a free method to delete debt, make a major purchase and still have plenty of money leftover.

For the bonus question the way it's phrased nullifies the use of the million due to the vagueness of "something". For example if you could only spend 1k on say bills even individually then you lock yourself out of the money after like a year for most major functions. Even if you tried to say invest it the vagueness of the lockout criteria could limit that to a couple thousand at best. Essentially most of the money physically couldn't be spent anyway.
So obviously the 1/4th of the total money is better for the bonus question because the 100k yearly limit is meaningless (unless you meant the 1k limit also resets every year).
Jan 20, 2021 3:08 AM

Feb 2017
1 million $ sure. Could live my whole life comfortably with that so no need to risk it for a higher sum.
Jan 20, 2021 3:12 AM
Oct 2020
could you make a financial instrument out of it and sell it for 450 million to some billionare?
Jan 20, 2021 4:16 AM

Feb 2019
A million is pocket change, I don't want it. Give me the coin flip for a billion any day.
Jan 20, 2021 4:35 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
It depends on one's current financial situation and some other factors.

If you are young and have no more than a hundred dollars in your bank account, little to no property, and an immense student loan to pay back, I would advise going for option A since making your first million from such a financial rock bottom may take decades. Even if you had a 90% chance to win that billion, you still would not want to gamble.

However, if you are already a middle or upper-class citizen, option B becomes the obvious choice.

As for your second question, "Have 1/4 of it, and you're free to do anything with it." would be my choice.
149597871Jan 20, 2021 4:43 AM
Jan 20, 2021 4:41 AM
Jul 2018
How broke you gotta be to think a million dollar is a lot money?
Jan 20, 2021 4:54 AM

Mar 2018
I would definitely go for the 100% chance of 1 million. I wouldn't want to regret missing out on a huge sum of money just because of my greed. I would be perfectly happy with 1 million.

Bonus Question: 1m/1k limit. I'm not gonna purchase anything super expensive anyways.

"Ehehehe.....I did my best!" - Pururut
Jan 20, 2021 5:48 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
100% chance for 1 million because that's still enough money to live a comfortable life for most of my life. There's no need to have 1 billion

Bonus question with 1k limit
Jan 20, 2021 6:12 AM

Aug 2019
1 million cuz I like to have a simple life. 1 million is enough for me, I don't like luxurious things just what is necessary. and I can make more money.

with 1 billion I would have the same life with 1 million, I would just have more money. with 1 billion I would spend 1 million and then save the rest of the money for emergency.
Jan 20, 2021 6:27 AM

Jul 2020
one million cuz my luck is shit when it matters also, having one billion dollars would fuck up my life and destroy my character

バンの一味
Jan 20, 2021 6:49 AM

Aug 2018
Was this a question to separate the entrepreneurs from the regular folks?

50% is a decent chance for $1 bil, but I wouldn't quit working.
Jan 20, 2021 7:41 AM

Apr 2016
100% chance of receiving 1mil. i wouldn't even know what to do with 1bil, and i'm more than satisfied with a smaller amount guaranteed
Jan 20, 2021 12:26 PM
Level 1 Otaku

Jan 2018
I'm not going to be greedy so I'll just take the 1m and leave. There's a big difference between 1m and 1b but there's also a big difference between 1m and nothing at all.

For the bonus question, the first choice sounds better.

Jan 20, 2021 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
100% of 1 million because I am risk averse.
Jan 20, 2021 1:07 PM

Mar 2018
I haven't won a lottery yet so now is the time. One billion it is!

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Jan 20, 2021 2:02 PM

Jul 2016
im okay without the risk, 100% for sure
Jan 20, 2021 2:55 PM

Jul 2020
1 million is good. There's a lot I can do with 1 million like a new car, pay off debts, and still live a normal life. 1 billion if I lose it then I would probably just be stressed out for the rest of my life.
Jan 20, 2021 3:32 PM

Oct 2012
It's not even that hard to make one million if you save up over years. You would only pick that option if the certainty of one million is a game changer for you. Otherwise, mathematically, the billion is a much better deal. The expected value of each are
  • 1m * 100% = 1m
  • 1b * 50% = 500m

In other words, on average, if you were to take the choice infinite times, the billion dollar option would make you 500 times more money.

As for the second question, if you need to spend more than $100k a year on something, then $1m is probably not a significant amount for you.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 20, 2021 6:57 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I like living dangerously, so I'd pick the 50% chance for 1 billion. Not bad odds and I would be more than set for life.
Jan 20, 2021 7:04 PM

Oct 2020
I'm quite lucky in Genshin so I'm gonna choose 1 billion.
Jan 20, 2021 7:09 PM

Apr 2020
Billion
I aint no fucking pussy
And 1 million is a lot but its obtainable, but 1 billion on the other hand.
Jan 20, 2021 7:40 PM

Aug 2018
1 Billion - gotta take risks in life. 50% is a good chance.
If a 100 people took the billion option they'd have 50 billion which is 500 times more than those who took the million option.

Also, I could probably get 1 million with 10-15 years of work but a billion is literally change the world amount of money, the risk is worth it.
<Insert clever quote>
Jan 20, 2021 8:57 PM

Jul 2016
I would take the $1 million, especially since I'm homeless.
Jan 20, 2021 9:07 PM

Aug 2009
I'll take a million. I like certainty.

Jan 20, 2021 10:51 PM

Mar 2008
I'd rather take the million. Obvious choice. A million isnt all that much but I could do some good things with it and gamble with a portion of it which means I could make more than a million without the all or nothing risk of the billion option.
Jan 20, 2021 11:05 PM

Jun 2020
1 million so i can use that money and make it a billion :D
Jan 21, 2021 4:11 AM

May 2020
I'd choose the guaranteed option rather than the chance of getting nothing at all.
Jan 21, 2021 4:41 AM
Dec 2010
This question is a no-brainer.
100% for 1 million is the choice.
Only a mega-rich person will tell you it's worth to take the 50% risk of getting $1Bil dollars.
With 1 million in your hand, you can use that money to make some small passive income for yourself. It will be enough to live if you spend wisely and even if it's not enough for your financial needs, it will be enough for you to not worry about a job loss or an economical downturn too much, and that is also if you don't put any of those money in high risk investments or even use it to make money.

On the other hand, anyone who take the second option is pretty much asking for a binary result of all or nothing. If you have nothing already, and a million can change your life quickly, that's no fucking point in choosing the second option. 100% is guaranteed. It is free money. 50% is fucking high risk if you think in terms of investments. No one in their sane mind will tell you to put all your money in high risk investments that either return all or nothing. This is bad risk management and poor ROI should you fail. It isn't even like some gacha game where they will definitely give you something or have a system which they reward you something should you try enough time. Neither do the options have a range of choice in between so that the result is not as binary.

Beside, 80% hit rate in a game also pretty much can make you miss quite a few time already. What makes you think you can luck away with 50%. You must be fucking dreaming to think that this is a smart choice when you don't already have lots of money to begin with. You best stop listening to some of those wall-street faggots. Some of them give terrible advices. Their advices are meant for rich people and those who have already made it in life.
Butterfly_WhiteJan 21, 2021 4:49 AM
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Jan 21, 2021 5:02 AM

Oct 2020
what are the odds of me getting a billion with a 50/50 chance..
Jan 21, 2021 6:23 AM

Dec 2018
1 million, i don't need 1 billion
kkk
Jan 21, 2021 6:27 AM

Jul 2019
1 mil. also you will get robbed with more money.
Jan 21, 2021 6:29 AM

Dec 2018
JetBlueXx said:
I'd choose the guaranteed option rather than the chance of getting nothing at all.

explain to me the reason you think what you wrote in your forum post listed above
Jan 21, 2021 6:29 AM

Dec 2018
AmityBlight said:
How broke you gotta be to think a million dollar is a lot money?

yeah ik broke asses thinking 1 mil is much money
Jan 21, 2021 7:15 AM

Mar 2014
One million.
I'm not too fond of money,
enough is good for me.
Jan 21, 2021 7:32 AM

Aug 2018
BrightFlashLight said:
Only a mega-rich person will tell you it's worth to take the 50% risk of getting $1Bil dollars.
With 1 million in your hand, you can use that money to make some small passive income for yourself. It will be enough to live if you spend wisely and even if it's not enough for your financial needs, it will be enough for you to not worry about a job loss or an economical downturn too much, and that is also if you don't put any of those money in high risk investments or even use it to make money.

On the other hand, anyone who take the second option is pretty much asking for a binary result of all or nothing. If you have nothing already, and a million can change your life quickly, that's no fucking point in choosing the second option. 100% is guaranteed. It is free money. 50% is fucking high risk if you think in terms of investments. No one in their sane mind will tell you to put all your money in high risk investments that either return all or nothing. This is bad risk management and poor ROI should you fail. It isn't even like some gacha game where they will definitely give you something or have a system which they reward you something should you try enough time. Neither do the options have a range of choice in between so that the result is not as binary.

Beside, 80% hit rate in a game also pretty much can make you miss quite a few time already. What makes you think you can luck away with 50%. You must be fucking dreaming to think that this is a smart choice when you don't already have lots of money to begin with. You best stop listening to some of those wall-street faggots. Some of them give terrible advices. Their advices are meant for rich people and those who have already made it in life.

Except you lose nothing (in terms of what you already have). If you are earning a fair income ($~80k), or planning to enter a high paying field like software development or engineering or business management, it's very reasonable to take the chance.
Jan 21, 2021 1:01 PM

Oct 2012
BrightFlashLight said:
No one in their sane mind will tell you to put all your money in high risk investments that either return all or nothing. This is bad risk management and poor ROI should you fail.
No one calculates ROI "if you fail", ROI is the chance of succeeding and the terms of success, in other words the expected value. Your ROI is 500 million as opposed to 1 million. It is high risk, but it's insanely high reward.

If you're given the option to either take $1, or flip a coin and if you get heads, you get $1000, nobody is going to say, "Oooh a coin flip is high risk, I'm going to take my dollar." If that was smart business, then nobody would ever buy stocks or start a business at all. They would just put their money in their bank account or bonds and collect that risk-free low interest until inflation turns it to nothing.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 21, 2021 1:32 PM
Dec 2010
Opticflash said:
BrightFlashLight said:

Except you lose nothing (in terms of what you already have). If you are earning a fair income ($~80k), or planning to enter a high paying field like software development or engineering or business management, it's very reasonable to take the chance.

That's your perspective. Putting in luck to get a binary result is pretty much foolish choice for those who need the backings of the 1 million as a safety net. Ideally speaking, you will take the 10Bil. But realistically speaking, no one have 10Bil to spare you or give you as a prize money. 10Bil might put you in the bottom of the Forbes' list or something or a little outside of it. How many Billionaires in this world are there again? You should know that only mega-corporations and wealthy nations can afford such luxuries and no one in their right mind will give you such an option.

Ever heard of the Samsung heir saga? The inheritance tax in South Korea pretty much makes the Samsung Heir fake his father's death and alive status as if it is a schrodinger's cat situation. If he didn't, he will have lost almost all of his inheritance and family wealth to the government and in turn, have to liquidate all of his assets including the shares in his company to pay the tax. The result? He will even lose the chairmanship and even the control of his own company. That's not only taking money away from a person, it is also depriving them of their money-making potential.

So who in their right mind, nations, mega-corporations or wealthy individuals will offer you such a choice in the first place. The second option already sounds like a rigged scam the moment it is offered to you in real life. We have seen millions of prize pool for competition games and achievement rewards but a billion? Never, lest to say 10Bil.

Let me go even further for you. It is called the time value of money. 1 million now and 1 million in 20-40 years is a huge difference. Having 1 million now pretty much means you can put that money to earn more right away. 20-40 years is a long time and anything terrible can happen to you in the mean time. No matter which industries you are from, if your health fails, you can't work either way. There is also no guarantee you will make it to higher positions in life either even if you have top notch skills, experiences and knowledge. High paying fields matter little as those numbers are for mid to high positions in those fields mostly when you see their estimate of what you can earn. Every nation have a difference in their paying capacities in each industries. Don't expect the same thing in every place either.
Beside, if you can have a 1 million now and also 1 million in the 20-40 years, then that's double the plan and double the result. The 10Billions option is nothing short of a real gamble, in which you does lose out on the opportunity of a guaranteed 1 million, should you choose the other and fail, which you are most likely going to. Putting in luck to get more money when you can't influence the outcome is nothing short of a foolish attempt. In which case, you do lose resources over time, if you repeatedly attempt such foolish measures. Risk need to be calculated.

I also forgot to mention to you just how hard it is to get into those high career positions in life, that you people so desirable think you can get to, to gather your financial resources. The criteria are so high, it's not even funny. It's as if you are going through a huge scrutinization process that is so complicated, that you wish they make it less complexing for you and a lot of it has little to do with just your technical skills anymore. Should you fail to get there or fail in your high position job, you pretty much also have the same position as everyone else in life, doomed to fail. Because result speaks, and if you fail, your experiences become the point of not meeting expectations and you will have nothing to fall back on in those positions in career. You can talk about process all day, but if it doesn't bring result, it is as good as for naught.

People like to tell you that you can always retry after a failure but in real life, chances don't come a second time often perhaps even never. There are only many first-chances. It is just not your first attempt anymore. The moment you fail, you lose a lot in life and may never recover in life, and it is not just monetary loss I'm talking about. It doesn't matter if the failure is caused by you or other people, you take the loss either way, even more so at higher positions in life. You see why mega-rich people are doing so much to protect themselves but that is none of our problem. Other people are only going to make it worse for you when you are in that position in life. It is part and parcel of life. People are true terrible characters in life. That is a cold-harsh fact.

I said enough about this already.
Jan 21, 2021 1:38 PM
Dec 2010
katsucats said:
BrightFlashLight said:
No one in their sane mind will tell you to put all your money in high risk investments that either return all or nothing. This is bad risk management and poor ROI should you fail.
No one calculates ROI "if you fail", ROI is the chance of succeeding and the terms of success, in other words the expected value. Your ROI is 500 million as opposed to 1 million. It is high risk, but it's insanely high reward.

If you're given the option to either take $1, or flip a coin and if you get heads, you get $1000, nobody is going to say, "Oooh a coin flip is high risk, I'm going to take my dollar." If that was smart business, then nobody would ever buy stocks or start a business at all. They would just put their money in their bank account or bonds and collect that risk-free low interest until inflation turns it to nothing.

Indeed, nobody talks about ROI on losses but that is what it is when it comes to the question in this thread. Luck for a better option is pretty much suicidal attempt for someone who needs the stability. By trivializing the rewards and the opportunity loss of a guaranteed positive outcome which give the rewards but less, of course 50% of a coin-flip sounds like nothing more than a casual situation in life. It depends on how you see this question. When much is at stake, your choices will be very different. When you view this question both hypothetically and realistically, you see different options you must be taking because other factors count.

And you can refer to my post to OpticFlash about the 10billion option and how unrealistic it sounds in a real life situation. Ideally yes, realistically no.
Jan 21, 2021 2:13 PM

Oct 2012
BrightFlashLight said:
And you can refer to my post to OpticFlash about the 10billion option and how unrealistic it sounds in a real life situation. Ideally yes, realistically no.
You mean this.
BrightFlashLight said:
You basically just wrote a whole rant trying to defeat the hypothetical, which is formally logically irrelevant, or what we might call a denying the antecedent formal fallacy. The question is WHAT IF you were offered the choice. The likelihood of actually being offered the choice is irrelevant. That's as obnoxious as someone asking you, "If we could get pizza or pasta delivered here, right now, what would you like?", and you going on a rant chastising the other person about the physical impossibility of getting instant delivery.

BrightFlashLight said:

Indeed, nobody talks about ROI on losses but that is what it is when it comes to the question in this thread. Luck for a better option is pretty much suicidal attempt for someone who needs the stability.
If you're homeless or short on money to make next month's rent payment, then by all means take the million. That is the only reason to take it. Anyone who is stable, meaning middle class or above, should take the billion. It would be sound financial advice if you don't need the million right now.

BrightFlashLight said:

By trivializing the rewards and the opportunity loss of a guaranteed positive outcome which give the rewards but less, of course 50% of a coin-flip sounds like nothing more than a casual situation in life. It depends on how you see this question. When much is at stake, your choices will be very different. When you view this question both hypothetically and realistically, you see different options you must be taking because other factors count.
Realistically, if you're middle class or above, or if you're single and broke but don't owe anything -- in other words, the vast majority of people -- you should take the billion.

There is risk (i.e. of opportunity loss) in every good investment or gamble, but not taking that risk is the biggest risk. Not taking that billion is in fact losing 499 million. If you were at a poker match with pocket Aces goings heads up with $1000 in your bank, assuming you don't need $1000 to make ends meet, you should always plan on going all in. You would have 85% chance of winning $1000. If a person offered you to play poker where you always get pocket Aces, the smart thing to do for nearly everyone in the world, realistically, is to take out their entire bank account, savings account, and max out their credit cards, and then take a loan on everything they have, and play that game.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 21, 2021 2:22 PM

Jun 2019
No thinking required here as Katsucats said. Compute the expectancy and bet on the billion. You can not change any thing with one million, but you can have a real contribution to society with one billion (I would probably support basic research in science like the Simons Foundation does).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

66 by _Nette_ »»
1 minute ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

30 by rohan121 »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 10 hours ago

16 by traed »»
54 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

23 by cody »»
1 hour ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

75 by cody »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.