Forum Settings
Forums

How bad does an anime have to be for you to rate it 1/10?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Feb 1, 2020 1:23 AM
May 2018
I doubt I'll ever watch an anime I deem to be worthy of a 1. for that I'd have to either intentionally seek out bad anime or watch every anime of every season, both seem like a waste of time to me.
Feb 1, 2020 4:36 AM

Jun 2019
I would rate it 1 if the graphic is very low quality and the sound are very very poor
Feb 1, 2020 4:56 AM
Oct 2017
It would have to be absoluutly terribble, Poorly written story, bad art style, boring run of the mill characters it would have to be unbearable tbh
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2020 5:59 AM

Apr 2010
Some of the mentioned criteries have anime like Mars of Destruction and Vampire Holmes or what was its name. Actually I dont understand purpose of making something like that without quality, plot, proper dialoques (that infamous scene where they brough headless girl to the doctor and he said'' saldy its not possible for her to make it'' was from this) especially Vampire Holmes which looked like only thing used to make it was Microsoft Paint and it was about absolutely nothing... It wasnt even about vampires ffs...

btw some people gave 1 to Boku no Pico
Feb 1, 2020 7:54 AM
Jul 2018
I don't rate anime from a critic's perspective. Because doing that would take a lot more time and effort than I'm willing to put. So I rate anime purely on how much I dislike it. That said, the only anime I rated a 1/10 was Aho Girl, because I absolutely loathed it for how obnoxious it was to watch. It was like watching a teenager just constantly scream at everything, demanding that I laugh. Seriously. I don't think 3 minutes ever passed in that anime without a character screaming.
Feb 1, 2020 8:05 AM

Jul 2014
I have no clue what the criteria for such a show would be. First of all, I think the lowest rating I've ever given a show was a 3. Second of all, I, for the most part, only rate shows after I've watched the final episode. If I were to watch a show that was on track to have a score of 1 then I most likely would have dropped it long before the final episode.

The important thing to remember is that my ratings are mostly based off of how much personal enjoyment I got out of a show. While I do consider those aspects of a show that a critic would also consider, I don't let those considerations override my main criteria of enjoyment. There more like supplemental aspects of a rating rather than core aspects. Anyway, a 10/10 show isn't a flawless show, but more like an extremely memorable show that positively exceeded my expectations for characterization, storytelling, and worldbuilding. Also, depending on its length, I am highly likely to rewatch a 10/10 show.

If I were to give a show a 1, though, I imagine the criteria would boil down to having absolutely awful (not in a moral sense) characters, a nonsensical story, and a poorly constructed world whose in-universe rules are regularly broken for the sake of reaching whatever end the creators want to reach. Not only that, but the show would also probably have to be extremely offensive to my own sensibilities. Like, a show that glorifies the Klan or pushes the narrative that some historical tragedy, like the Rape of Nanjing, never happened.

Like, I said, though, I've never finished a 1/10 show and likely never will.

My anime rating system is as follows:
SithSteelFeb 1, 2020 8:41 AM
Feb 1, 2020 8:18 AM

Jun 2019
First off, a score of 6 and up means a show is good. 5 means that it's neither good nor bad. So any show I find absolutely appalling to watch would receive a 1.
Feb 1, 2020 8:23 AM

Apr 2019
Esquirtit said:
Fosn said:
Holy shit, isn't Nekopara a hentai? Or you dropped it for being censored?
I heard the source material it adapted was more sexually explicit but I'm not familiar.
Nekopara is a francise and has entries ranging from PG-13 to hentai. The original material is a visual novel, which exists in two versions. One is equivalent to PG-13 or PG-17 rated, i.e. lewd jokes & dialog and steam censored bath scenes. The other version adds like 10-20% more material which is straight hentai, i.e. penetration and genitals. There are also hentai grade manga from the same company. As an anime, there are three francise entries (OVA, special, airing TV series) which are all PG-13. You can basically pick your poison within the francise's story and genre, which is mildly sexualized CGDCT harem of moe cat girls.
inimFeb 1, 2020 8:32 AM

Feb 1, 2020 8:34 AM

Mar 2018
inim said:
Esquirtit said:
I heard the source material it adapted was more sexually explicit but I'm not familiar.
Nekopara is a francise and has entries ranging from PG-13 to hentai. The original material is a visual novel, which exists in two versions. One is equivalent to PG-13 or PG-17 rated, i.e. lewd jokes & dialog and steam censored bath scenes. The other version adds like 10-20% more material which is straight hentai, i.e. penetration and genitals. There are also hentai grade manga from the same company. As an anime, there are three francise entries (OVA, special, airing TV series) which are all PG-13. You can basically pick your poison within the francise's story and genre, which is mildly sexualized CGDCT with moe cat girls.

Thanks for the explanation. The day I'll be into this sort of stuff real-life cat girls will already be a thing though.
poop
Feb 1, 2020 8:46 AM
May 2016
I rate things 1/10 if I didn't like a single aspect of an anime
Feb 1, 2020 8:47 AM
Jul 2018
Really, really bad. Probably should higher my standards because most professional works aren't qualified for it. I currently only have 1 anime with that score, and honestly, it doesn't even deserve it. Glasslip pretty much only got that 1 because it was an obscure, mostly hated show no one would argue the score over or ask why. Because the second they would ask why, I would be stumped. To give you an idea, of how bad a show would have to be to get a 1/10 using my scoring system, I want to bring up my least favorite cast, SSY. Every time, I look back on the show, I am quite impressed by the complete lack of characterization there is in episode 3 and onwards. The main characters only showed a single trait or two on very rare occasions when a twist happened. However, even that cast didn't qualify and I had to force that 1/10 in there despite the fact that Saturo being a cruel person to the monster rats and not Saki making perfect sense and not being contradictory at all(though I complained about that anyway in my review because I'm cringy and stupid like that). So a cast would have to be somehow worse than a main cast with 1-2 bland traits which are shown rarely with equally forgettable and ugly character designs despite that being an achievement in of itself. I can't even imagine an amateur product being so bad as to qualify.

I really need to fix that 1/10, but I don't know what I would change it to. So I guess I'm still sitting on that one.
Feb 1, 2020 9:40 AM
Feb 1, 2020 11:39 AM

Jun 2019
It has to be so fucking bad that I am convinced I will never or rarely see anything worse, and I have to be completely disgusted with it by the first episode.

Also has to look like trash, have terrible voice acting, etc. Lowest I've rated is a 3 and I disliked the stuff I scored that, so yeah. 2 has to be really bad, 1 has to be almost impossible-to-beat bad.

Feb 1, 2020 1:02 PM
Aug 2015
I find it rare for me to give anything below a 5 but a 1 is something i have not found i have only one 2 that being Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu mainly because that anime is so boring
Feb 1, 2020 2:17 PM

Oct 2017
I don't really imagine myself giving an anime 1/10 even if it is a hentai with no plot and the worst animation that you even expect won't get this score I mean its still an anime and I'm pretty sure ppl who made it spent a lot of time and money so I'm gonna give it a 4/10
Feb 1, 2020 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't rated 1/10 for anime yet or hopefully don't end up having experience of watching that level of awfulness but I imagine they too would be just something worse than the shows I rated 2 so probably won't be add to my mal list at all like many other shows.
Feb 1, 2020 3:56 PM
Apr 2018
Urotsokidoji. I saw the first one in a movie theater based on a sanitized poster.

Everyone involved with it should be thrown in an oubliette.
Feb 1, 2020 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
I'd have to watch dozens of episodes per week from random series to be able to dislike something to the point of rating it 1/10
Feb 1, 2020 5:04 PM

Mar 2016
The show would be really bad but also something fascinating enough for me to watch it to completion, most shows that are bad i just rate a 4 and drop.
Feb 1, 2020 5:12 PM
Feb 1, 2020 5:34 PM
Jul 2019
If the individual characteristics are all very poorly executed. This includes animation, plot, characters, etc. OR, if I personally strongly dislike some element (maybe a specific plot point) so much that it greatly overshadows anything good the series had to offer.

There's a manga I rated 1/10, it wasn't exactly great before (not by a long shot), but I gave when up when a planned attempted gang rape was trivialized and used as a plot gimmick. Also a betrayal related to this was also trivialized and forgiveness was casually thrown around.

Now that I think 3d kanojo also did something particularly irritating that made me drop the series.
SunnySelenophileFeb 1, 2020 5:45 PM
Feb 1, 2020 5:59 PM
May 2019
I have to feel disgusted for watching that anime. Like, I would rate 1 if there were pedophilia, incest, plagiarism... The anime could be terribly animated, the story could be messy and bad, or i could feel like i'm losing my time, but i would give 2 (minimum).
Feb 1, 2020 6:05 PM

Dec 2016
1/10 = I didn't care about anything at all / I didn't like anything about it that could serve as a redeeming quality / the work provided no value to my life
Feb 1, 2020 6:16 PM

Sep 2010
A shit stain on the anime industry piles of garbage with either no redeeming qualities across the board or in one anime's case I put both seasons at 1 cause the only good characters get shit on ALL the time while the dull one dimensional ones seem to have all the good things happen to them and the story had probably one of the best premises and if I remember the hype was pretty big, but it had the worst writing I've seen in the mecha genre thus far. I'm sure there are worse out there I just haven't seen them yet and no I'm not talking about one shots like Skelter Heaven or whatever its fucking called I'm talking 12~50 episodes of terrible writing and dull characters.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 1, 2020 6:23 PM

Mar 2013
For me to say something is 1/10, it would not only have to have no enjoyment, insight, or direction but it would have to be straight up insulting to watch. On my list, Ousama Game (or Kings Game) is my lowest reviewed show at a 2, but even that escaped a 1 from me because conceptually I did not hate what I was watching and there were 1 or 2 characters I did take a liking to among the cavalcade of stupid. I dread the day I find something worth giving a 1 to.

Feb 1, 2020 7:01 PM

Oct 2019
I'm yet to come across an anime that's terrible enough to make me rate it a 1. The lowest score I've ever given something is a 3 and that's because I hated the characters, the story, and the ending, and the production value was really low so it couldn't even hide behind nice music or visuals.
I don't exactly go around looking for bad anime anyway so I don't think I'll ever have to find out how terrible a rating of 1 would be. Besides, if something was really so terrible I highly doubt I would watch more than 1 or 2 episodes of it.
Feb 1, 2020 7:38 PM

Jul 2016
For me 1/10 is an anime that i fall asleep at the very first episode (and not because I'm tired)

"We become what we think about"

If you want to succeed in life, plant the next goal you want to achieve in your brain, and work toward achieving that goal. write as specifically as you can the path you need to go through to get to the goal, and If that is really what you wished for, work toward it, and you will achieve it.
Blog

Feb 1, 2020 7:46 PM
Jan 2012
When it comes to rating a show, my rating comes from how much the positive aspects of the show outweigh the negatives. I can find joy in the dumbest shows, I jokingly keep mentioning Ousama Game is my favorite comedy anime despite how shitty it is, I'm very much the type that enjoys watching bad shit with the intent of shitting on them with friends. So for a show to get a 1/10 from me it has to have absolutely NO positive traits that can excuse all the negatives, and is just utterly unfun for me to shit on.

Which is why Tenshi no Drop is my only 1/10. School Days would have been one of my 1/10s as well, but I view that show as a rite of passage for serious anime watchers.
Feb 1, 2020 10:02 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Just being below average is good enough for 1, wouldn't rec to people not worth time
Feb 2, 2020 1:45 AM

Sep 2016
1 means it was watchable, 1-6 are not recommended but I liked it enough to watch, 7-10 are recommended for other people. A score of 1 for me is not bad, dropped is the worst score i give.
Feb 2, 2020 2:20 AM
Jul 2018
it has to be on the level of boku no pico or shitcom
Feb 2, 2020 3:28 AM

Aug 2016
thats just the trigger score, I dont think anything except old-ass OVAs that are terrible deserve that rating. sometimes I put a show there when it pissed me off
Feb 2, 2020 4:10 AM

Sep 2018
patchworkpants said:
Mullerio said:
Worse than anything i gave a 2/10, guilty pleasures that are just unfunny after 2 episodes. Generic, unfunny, bad world, characters and story. Something like Absolute Duo, Tokyo Ghoul:re 2nd Season and Netsuzou TRap fit there pretty well.

Its comparable to the 9/10, just flippin the positives and negatives.So it can have decent voice acting or animation , those things just dont redeem anything about the plot etc.

Ah okay. Yeah. I think you would have to take the animation/art direction quality out of it to be able to give anything a really low score. There are some anime films/series that aren't exceptional in terms of plot but are lifted by their animation and music. Tekkonkinkreet is a beautiful looking movie but I found the pacing horrendous. If it didn't look and sound as phenomenal as it does I would have rated it lower. I am an art graduate though so aesthetic is incredibly important to me.

Would you give an anime that looked like complete crap and with a style that didn't suit the mood of the story and that had a terrible sound direction a 9/10 if the story was very well written?

Art/Sound elevates a good story and adds to it, but does not make a shitty show any better. I never encountered a show that had a great story but horrendous visuals and sound, or at least on the level where it would downgrade the show as a whole.

I probably would not give a show with the worst visuals etc. ever a 9/10 since a great story can get downgraded by bad visuals etc. Its comparable to a show with shitty story etc. but the best visuals ever, that would also not get a 1/10.
Its just that only "decent" animation/sound does not help a shitty show get any better.
Feb 2, 2020 4:16 AM

Aug 2016
TheDucc1 said:
anything as disgusting as oreimo... that incest made me puke
also BL = deleted from my list, not just a 1/10

What happened in your life where you seem to hate homosexuality so much?
Feb 2, 2020 5:38 AM

Nov 2014
patchworkpants said:

For a game to get 1/10 it would have to look horrific, not be fun at all, crash every five seconds, have characters clipping through all the scenery, be full of insane bugs, and only actually be 1/100 of a completed game.

So for me a 1/10 would be the equivalent of that in an anime. The blandest story and characters ever where the dialogue was written by an actual 4 year old, audio that's so bad it hurts your ears, characters that look like scribbles and their walking animations are just a still picture sliding around or teleporting.

Well, there are anime pretty much like that. For example Hametsu no Mars or Tenkuu Danzai Skelter+Heaven. Those are actually ones of few 1s I gave. For me it works this way: after seeing something so bad I just can't say anything else deserves 1.
Feb 2, 2020 5:44 AM

Mar 2013
I could either drop the Anime or just watch it for the sake of completion and then put a 1/10 score.
But my answer would be whether the Anime is a RECAP, I'd totally put 1/10. LoL.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Feb 2, 2020 5:51 AM

Dec 2013
My rating is subjective so 1/10 simply means I hated it a lot, whether that's for quality or personal reasons.
Feb 2, 2020 5:59 AM
Jul 2018
I'll give a serues a 1/10 if:
1. I don't see/can't find anything positive about it
2. I hate everything I watched/read from the anime/manga (not exaggerating)

Thankfully, nothing has been bad enough for me to give it a 1
Feb 2, 2020 6:37 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
To me a 1 is simply a lack of significant net positive value, either bland and boring or have the positive values outweighed by stuff that was actively painful to watch. Most people seem to use half their list for waste sorting but I just lump it all togheter, I don't feel like giving out ''you tried'' points to stuff because they could've been worse.
RoevhaalFeb 2, 2020 6:42 AM
Feb 2, 2020 6:45 AM

Aug 2009
patchworkpants said:
I think I probably rate them a bit high for some people's taste, but I kind of look at animation in the same way I look at video games, and people complain that they are always rated too high. Like a 6/10 is generally a bad score for a game and it usually means it's derivative, bland and not fun but not buggy, or slightly fun but full of bugs that make it frustrating to play.

For a game to get 1/10 it would have to look horrific, not be fun at all, crash every five seconds, have characters clipping through all the scenery, be full of insane bugs, and only actually be 1/100 of a completed game.

So for me a 1/10 would be the equivalent of that in an anime. The blandest story and characters ever where the dialogue was written by an actual 4 year old, audio that's so bad it hurts your ears, characters that look like scribbles and their walking animations are just a still picture sliding around or teleporting.

The worst anime I've ever seen would be about halfway between that and perfect so I can't really give anything below a 5 as I'm not even sure an anime exists that sucks that much.

A 4 would still look very amateur and have bad voice acting and writing and unpleasant audio to a degree and generally even the worst anime is above that. Maybe it exists and I just haven't seen it.

A 0/10 would just be a black screen with someone screaming and scratching their nails on a chalkboard.

If I thought an anime was that bad then I would drop it or not watch. I loath recap episodes/movies. I think whoever came up with them should have their nuts stomped on once a year by angry fans. Because recaps are nothing but cut and pasted reruns when all you really want is something new. I could understand a recap episode if a series was hundred of episodes long and they wanted to bring back a character that hasn't been on the show for a couple years or longer. But instead most recap episodes are made for 12 to 24 episode series.
Feb 2, 2020 7:05 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Logically speaking a 1 should be more rare than a 10. After all, they are the polar opposites end of the spectrum but since people ought to choose which shows they watch based on what looks interesting to them, you're much more likely to watch anime you enjoy than ones you don't. So unless you use a random number generator to pick your shows, it is only logical that people should have a mean score above the average of the scale (5.50) and consequently 1/10 also ought to be the rarest scores one gives out

But on the other hand there are also a handful of anime out there that are so low effort that they are barely even worth mentioning in the first place. I'm talking about these disaster ONAs and OVAs like Nami, Shitcom, Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, Utsu Musume Sayuri etc. These are anime that just have 1/10 written all over them because they are utter trainwrecks in every sense of the word, but the fact of the matter is when it comes to actual TV-shows then that doesn't really happen. No matter how bad a TV-show may be, at the very least it will have some level of effort put into it beyond that, and therefore finding similar levels of trash that was actually broadcasted on TV as a proper anime and not just some small homemade project is very rare

But if you want some numbers then I have 1327 anime on my completed list atm. Out of those I have rated 11 anime 1/10 (compared to 31 10/10s). Out of those 11 1/10s, 9 of them are OVAs and ONAs. The only 1/10 TV-series I have ever given out are to JK Meshi and One Room, and even those are merely 3-4 min TV-shorts. Never to any full-length TV-series. I still consider JK Meshi to be the worst anime ever made though
Feb 2, 2020 7:39 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
HaXXspetten said:
Logically speaking a 1 should be more rare than a 10. After all, they are the polar opposites end of the spectrum but since people ought to choose which shows they watch based on what looks interesting to them, you're much more likely to watch anime you enjoy than ones you don't. So unless you use a random number generator to pick your shows, it is only logical that people should have a mean score above the average of the scale (5.50) and consequently 1/10 also ought to be the rarest scores one gives out

But on the other hand there are also a handful of anime out there that are so low effort that they are barely even worth mentioning in the first place. I'm talking about these disaster ONAs and OVAs like Nami, Shitcom, Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, Utsu Musume Sayuri etc. These are anime that just have 1/10 written all over them because they are utter trainwrecks in every sense of the word, but the fact of the matter is when it comes to actual TV-shows then that doesn't really happen. No matter how bad a TV-show may be, at the very least it will have some level of effort put into it beyond that, and therefore finding similar levels of trash that was actually broadcasted on TV as a proper anime and not just some small homemade project is very rare
I don't buy that, even among professional projects there's a lot of stuff on the level of those ONA/OVA's, see: Isekai Cheat Magician and OniSuki for example. It's much harder to make an absolute masterpiece than a giant pile of crap. I'd say a 5.5 would be a decent mean score after selection bias, not without it.
Feb 2, 2020 9:29 AM

Feb 2011
Roevhaal said:
HaXXspetten said:

I don't buy that, even among professional projects there's a lot of stuff on the level of those ONA/OVA's, see: Isekai Cheat Magician and OniSuki for example. It's much harder to make an absolute masterpiece than a giant pile of crap. I'd say a 5.5 would be a decent mean score after selection bias, not without it.

A five would be a decent mean score without selection bias, but only if you included every little homebrew cartoon made by even the lowest grade students. If you take that out then your mean score would probably end up a 6.5 without selection bias. With selection bias it could be higher.
Feb 2, 2020 9:29 AM
Aug 2018
Mark_Dingemanse said:
TheDucc1 said:
anything as disgusting as oreimo... that incest made me puke
also BL = deleted from my list, not just a 1/10

What happened in your life where you seem to hate homosexuality so much?

oh trust me... you know nothing
I won't talk here since I would get banned :P
AoT > anime
Feb 2, 2020 9:35 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
patchworkpants said:
Roevhaal said:

A five would be a decent mean score without selection bias, but only if you included every little homebrew cartoon made by even the lowest grade students. If you take that out then your mean score would probably end up a 6.5 without selection bias. With selection bias it could be higher.
A 5 mean score after watching literally everything would require a rating scale along the lines of 1-7 = garbage and 8-10 = decent to good.
Feb 2, 2020 9:40 AM

Feb 2015
The only way I could see an anime getting a 1 from me is if it takes one of my top favourite anime and makes the most awful and insulting sequel to it imaginable.

Like, if Dragon Ball Evolution was an anime and not a live action, I could see myself rating that a 1.
MilenninFeb 2, 2020 9:43 AM
Feb 2, 2020 9:46 AM

Feb 2011
Roevhaal said:
patchworkpants said:

A 5 mean score after watching literally everything would require a rating scale along the lines of 1-7 = garbage and 8-10 = decent to good.

Only if you're a cynical person who takes everything it takes to make an animation for granted.

A 5 is meant to be average. It's the median score when you lay out every single animation in order and put a number exactly in the middle.
Feb 2, 2020 9:50 AM

Jul 2014
I would have to hate every single minute of it and it also has to piss me off. Tbh the only show i ever scored a 1 was Inferno Cop. It was so bad that it made me want to puke.
Feb 2, 2020 9:57 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
patchworkpants said:
Roevhaal said:

Only if you're a cynical person who takes everything it takes to make an animation for granted.

A 5 is meant to be average. It's the median score when you lay out every single animation in order and put a number exactly in the middle.
effort doesn't really matter if the end result is crap, maybe it's just me but I like to have some sort of standard when I rate stuff.
Feb 2, 2020 10:00 AM

Sep 2019
I never did that before. So i can't provide any valid answer.

But if it could make me question its very own existence then that'd be the reason why.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» When Iconic comic characters like Superman, Batman and Spider-Man become public domain

BLACKANGER - 2 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
13 seconds ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - 1 hour ago

2 by Rhae »»
36 seconds ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

81 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh! which one ruled your country? (& ur parents wallets)

solacez - 2 hours ago

9 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - 8 hours ago

24 by Rhae »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.