Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 29, 2019 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah I love the world fiction in this series. As they journey forward, we got to hear more about Wales and more of the land.

Adapted chapter 23-24+ this episode. We even got talk about "love" and the importance of it.
Sep 29, 2019 8:46 AM

Jul 2016
I, Prince Canute, have a dream!

Good episode, we finally heard Canute's voice. To me, Canute seems no different than any other innocent people involved in this war. It's pretty evident that he doesn't like the situation that he's in, unlike Thorkell for instance, and is pretty much dependent on Ragnar. I'd really like to see how his character unfolds.

It seems like Askeladd's army will have to deal with the Welsh, why did the episode have to end on a cliffhanger?

Overall, 5/5
Sep 29, 2019 9:43 AM

Jan 2019
Oh man, I love the dialogue. Such fascinating conversations and politics. I love the Wales conflict and geography.
"A hawk, it's so low. Catch it Ragnar". This line is perfect for Canute's introduction, it shows how incompetent and less interested Canute is when it comes to politics.
The talk about love was interesting, it gives us a retrospective of how Vikings were as they had no love and only glory.
There's only better to come guys, can't wait for the next cour.
Sep 29, 2019 9:53 AM

Feb 2017
Good episode. Next week we are getting new OP and ED. Can't wait to see and hear them, though I will surely miss Aimer.
Sep 29, 2019 9:59 AM
Jun 2015
Tsarko said:
Good episode. Next week we are getting new OP and ED. Can't wait to see and hear them, though I will surely miss Aimer.
Now I don't know about that. Remember, we were delayed an episode because of the typhoon.
Sep 29, 2019 9:59 AM
Sep 2015
This episode is quite a road trip, but with language limitation it's hard to convey the difference between culture.
Also viking's foot soldier are always portrayed as unsophisticated men that love gold and woman and alcohol, it is a view from ego commander which is the one who write history. I think they already know what love is and how it works. Of course the author choose to give intellectual to only focused characters for convenience.
I'm wondering if they'll take a bath after this arc is over, I look forward to it.
Sep 29, 2019 10:08 AM
Mar 2011
What was that scene with a slave with striking resemblance to Thorfinn? Am I to believe it was Askeladd as a kid?
Sep 29, 2019 10:12 AM
Apr 2016
Can't figure, what kind of person is Canute exactly? This episode did say a lot about him, however, not enough. The group got cornered pretty badly, doesn't seem good. The slave looked just like Thorfinn, what exactly is this telling us? This episode summoned a pile of questions...
Sep 29, 2019 10:12 AM

Sep 2014
Ok now, I think even the most doubtful person is convinced that Canute is a boy lol Loved his lines and reactions of him hiding behind Ragnar due to him feeling awkward around other people. The priest is always entertaining to be around. His words never reach those guys lol An older Leif Erikson appeared at the end still looking for Thorfinn. Cannot wait for a certain line Askeladd is going to say next week as well as the new OP & ED.
Sep 29, 2019 10:18 AM
Mar 2011
computerwizard said:
Zenek said:
What was that scene with a slave with striking resemblance to Thorfinn? Am I to believe it was Askeladd as a kid?

I think that was lief as the old man so it cant be Askeladd.

Is that a flash-forward then? Cause I don't remember Thorfinn ever being a slave. Unless it's just a random kid who looks a lot like him and that's why Leif freaks out
Jul 2019
Zenek said:

My theory is that that's Thorfinns sister who got captured and sold as a slave when that village got raided. But i could be wrong.
May 2017
That was awesome & the cliffhanger was great! I can't wait for the next episode
Sep 29, 2019 10:19 AM

Sep 2014
Zenek said:
computerwizard said:

Is that a flash-forward then? Cause I don't remember Thorfinn ever being a slave. Unless it's just a random kid who looks a lot like him and that's why Leif freaks out

Nope, they just showed older Leif looking for Thorfinn. He mistook the female slave for Thorfinn for a moment and was frustrated that she wasn't him since he is looking for him for years to bring him home.
Sep 29, 2019 10:19 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
shane_nichols said:
Tsarko said:
Now I don't know about that. Remember, we were delayed an episode because of the typhoon.

New ED next episode confirmed implicitly by Aimer herself.

https://twitter.com/Aimer_and_staff/status/1178333751148892161?s=20

I can't confirm on the Op status at the moment but I seem to vaguely recall checking one of the creator's post where he hinted that the this 1st Op will stick around for a bit longer. But maybe that was a mistake on my part, please don't take my word on it.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 29, 2019 10:20 AM
Mar 2011
Weeb-King said:
Zenek said:

My theory is that that's Thorfinns sister who got captured and sold as a slave when that village got raided. But i could be wrong.

His sister was much older though, and bigger. That was a kid.
Sep 29, 2019 10:21 AM

Jun 2019
Another very good episode. I love all the little historical details.

What was the deal with elderly Leif at the end?
Sep 29, 2019 10:21 AM
Mar 2011
MonkeyDHunter said:
Zenek said:

Nope, they just showed older Leif looking for Thorfinn. He mistook the female slave for Thorfinn for a moment and was frustrated that she wasn't him since he is looking for him for years to bring him home.

That makes sense. Thank you!
Sep 29, 2019 10:25 AM

Jul 2017
damn, pretty slow ep but the ending was mad. Thought Canute was gonna be the silent yet badass type but seems like he's more the scared type
Sep 29, 2019 10:29 AM

Jan 2019
Short_Circut said:
damn, pretty slow ep but the ending was mad. Thought Canute was gonna be the silent yet badass type but seems like he's more the scared type

I can see that, but I think it's slow in a good way and not a bad way. The pace flew for me, though I'm quite invested into the story.
Sep 29, 2019 10:30 AM

Jan 2009
Sexland Saga lol

but im curious on how they can close the distance and fight back against those archers
Sep 29, 2019 10:32 AM

Jan 2019
deg said:
Sexland Saga lol

but im curious on how they can close the distance and fight back against those archers

Oh man, I don't think @A_Sad_Dust_Cloud is gonna be happy lmao
Sep 29, 2019 10:33 AM
Nov 2018
Nice touch to have a Roman name for the Welshman. For a long time many hoped the Roman Empire would return.

Reading Welsh history, they were not just invaded by England; at times a strong Welsh ruler would unite the disparate kingdoms and take land in western England as well.

Pitch to Wales: Hey, join us and in the future we'll give you every possible economic advantage, uphold mines and other industries long after expiration date at English taxpayers' expense, and later give you your own parliament while the English don't get one. Sound good?

Also a nice touch to show the Danish prince asking for ships. It shows he does have some leadership quality. He might be afraid to talk to people, but he wouldn't just make an important promise like that to the Welsh without asking for something in return, or at least trying.

Funny that you don't see Thorfinn at all while they are marching. As long as there is no fighting, he won't be visible. He won't talk, he'll just walk. He is probably the most singularly focused anime character I've seen.
Sep 29, 2019 10:35 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty tense episode with a nice and a very welcome insight on the geography and history of the region! As such, the episode felt a little educational and so far I'm really liking that aspect of the show so I'm hoping to see it continue throughout the ride.

Madman Thorkell sure knows his Geography and it's commendable how his troops are marching long and hard, but apparently there's trouble from another direction for Askeladd and co. I wonder if that's one of the minor kingdoms that've been fed English money before or something of that sort.

Interesting how Askeladd is acquainted with this particular Welsh Kingdom though, and obviously it raises the question of who he really is. But keeping that aside, it's interesting that Askeladd's got hopes for this free-spirited Prince.

Meanwhile, Thorfinn is fired up and I can't wait to see how Askeladd's men will fight back against the odds here. Archers on high ground sniping reminds me of the time with Thors's battle, I wonder how Thorfinn would feel upon that realisation of having to go through this on two occasions now. A little perplexed how "the Ear" would notice enemies from a days' walking distance away but not on enemies creeping up just over a hill right beside though.

Anyway, final time for the ED and possibly the Op too. It's been such a wonderful company through this 1st half that it's a little heartbreaking but I'm hoping the next themes will deliver nonetheless! Already added the 1st Op & ED on my playlist since the first episode nevertheless so I'll definitely be tuning in to those in this week at the very least and later on too!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 29, 2019 10:38 AM

Jun 2014
Mostly a buildup episode, but it was still interesting as we got a small introduction to Canute's character (plus he finally spoke lol). Looks like there will be more carnage and bloodshed next week.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 29, 2019 10:42 AM

Aug 2013
Pretty good episode.

Would love to see Askeladd backstory in future episodes.

Askeladd and his group managed to avoid Thorkell but they have another problem now.

I will miss hearing the ED.

Sep 29, 2019 10:45 AM
Aug 2019
phantomfandom said:
This episode is quite a road trip, but with language limitation it's hard to convey the difference between culture.
Also viking's foot soldier are always portrayed as unsophisticated men that love gold and woman and alcohol, it is a view from ego commander which is the one who write history. I think they already know what love is and how it works. Of course the author choose to give intellectual to only focused characters for convenience.
I'm wondering if they'll take a bath after this arc is over, I look forward to it.

I'm not surprised by the priest having to explain an intangible concept like 'love'. I speak 2 languages & it's hard sometimes to translate a word/phrases that are concepts from the foreign language into English because there isn't an English corollary. Sometimes you have to elaborate. I like that the last foot soldier to speak was inquisitive about what the priest had to say. It gave me the feeling of a conversation that would lead to his conversion because I hear clergy say things like the "love of jesus christ" when evangelizing to non-believers. That's just my interpretation.
Sep 29, 2019 10:50 AM

Jul 2015
Great episode once again,this particular episode had lot of world building and we got to see England and Wales closely,

a hint of Askeladd's backstory and the discussion about Love,Love is always the most important thing.

The cliffhanger at the end is pretty well done and now we are entering the better parts of the story.

Sep 29, 2019 10:55 AM

Sep 2014
najumobi said:
MonkeyDHunter said:
Ok now, I think even the most doubtful person is convinced that Canute is a boy lol Loved his lines and reactions of him hiding behind Ragnar due to him feeling awkward around other people. The priest is always entertaining to be around. His words never reach those guys lol An older Leif Erikson appeared at the end still looking for Thorfinn. Cannot wait for a certain line Askeladd is going to say next week as well as the new OP & ED.

I'm not surprised by the priest having to explain an intangible concept like 'love'. I speak 2 languages & it's hard sometimes to translate a word/phrases that are concepts from the foreign language into English because there isn't an English corollary. Sometimes you have to elaborate. I like that the last foot soldier to speak was inquisitive about what the priest had to say. It gave me the feeling of a conversation that would lead to his conversion because I hear clergy say things like the "love of jesus christ" when evangelizing to non-believers. That's just my interpretation.

Aye, I can relate to that problem because of my mother-tongue's vast vocabulary. Anyway, I like your interpretation in this. There's also the fact that most of the Norse people were still into Paganism while mocking the concept of Christianity as we already saw in the previous episodes. Women, money etc were rewards for them along with the glory of the war. Love is something you don't get through those means which also might be a reason of their ignorance. I also think that guy would potentially end up converting to Christianity at the end.
Sep 29, 2019 11:00 AM

Mar 2016
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah I love the world fiction in this series. As they journey forward, we got to hear more about Wales and more of the land.

Adapted chapter 23-24+ this episode. We even got talk about "love" and the importance of it.

Thanks for refreshing my memories about which parts they adapted here xD
Sep 29, 2019 11:02 AM
Aug 2019
Zenek said:
computerwizard said:

No, it's just to show that Leif is still looking for Thorfinn to no success. He notices a slave who looks similar, but then sees that is not Thorfinn and just some slave girl. A lot of time has passed and it just seems like he is desperate at this point and is starting to lose any hope.
Sep 29, 2019 11:02 AM

Feb 2019
That was a really good episode. It felt really atmospheric. I also noticed that the background music is now louder which is a big plus. Loved the build up and the cliffhanger. That's the beauty of VS, it's takes it time and gives a lot of background. What a adventure.
Sep 29, 2019 11:08 AM

Jul 2014
A solid episode in terms of world-building and plot progression, even if there wasn't any real action to speak of. Canute seems pretty hopeless as an heir to the throne so far, though I have a feeling that whatever Thorfinn's about to do may see some change there. Speaking of Thorfinn, moving him to the background this episode was probably a good move, as the focus can become very narrow when he's the focus, whereas focusing on Askeladd allows us to appreciate the wider scope of what's going on.

My only complaint is the notion that Leicester would be the nearest fort to the Severn River, which is just complete nonsense; the map shown during the Wales exposition even highlighted that point, so I'm not sure why they left that line of dialogue in.
Sep 29, 2019 11:17 AM

Jul 2016
I like the last few minutes of this one, but not much else. It just kinda feels like 18 minutes of nothing much happening and then a huge burst of energy right at the end. Those few seconds that Leif was on screen was the best part of the whole episode. Hope we get to see more of him next week.

Also, what the fuck happened to Canute? Up until now I'd always seen him as this stoic, emotionless character that everyone underestimates for his appearance until he pulls out a badass super-killer-sword-mega-death-combo move or something. But no, all of a sudden he's got this high school anime shyness thing going on and I'm just wondering where the fuck it came from.
Sep 29, 2019 11:17 AM
Jul 2018
I've been largely underwhelmed by the music in this series. Until this episode, that is. The soundtrack was absolutely beautiful, with a great build-up at the end.

Interesting that the Legend of King Arthur (Artorius) is a thing in this world. Askeladd's mention of it got me thinking how Thorfinn is yet to claim a sword. What if he claims Excalibur :O

I had a feeling Lief would be in England or nearabouts.

A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

Also, what the fuck happened to Canute? Up until now I'd always seen him as this stoic, emotionless character that everyone underestimates for his appearance until he pulls out a badass super-killer-sword-mega-death-combo move or something. But no, all of a sudden he's got this high school anime shyness thing going on and I'm just wondering where the fuck it came from.

Not only does he seem shy but also weak and spoiled. I have a feeling he'll form a connection with Thorfinn (perfect contrasts to each other) and his growth will come from there. I was expecting a serious, grave prince, too. But I like this version much better, since it's more believable (Younger princes were often spoiled and good for nothing).
removed-userSep 29, 2019 11:23 AM
Sep 29, 2019 11:18 AM

Oct 2017
Nthng much to say about this episode but really hyped for the next episode.
Sep 29, 2019 11:19 AM

Jul 2016
Elucid said:
deg said:
Sexland Saga lol

Considering it's the exact same shite edit as last week, then yeah.

Apparently I have a reputation now for saying that err... having out of place looking fanservice shots in serious historical dramas is a bad idea. Who knew that was a radical stance?
Sep 29, 2019 11:23 AM

Jan 2009
the teenage angst or stereotypes are here too lol
Thorfinn - edgy teenager
Canute - shy teenager
and they are both the same age too according to Askeladd
im almost sure both of this teenagers now will overcome their teenage phase or else they will likely die
Sep 29, 2019 11:51 AM

Mar 2017
That was another great episode. I don't understand why this anime isn't more popular; it's fucking criminal!

I love how they've introduced Canute; as a timid, feminine and innocent young man... the very opposite of Thorfinn. I think the contrast in their personalities and circumstances is going to be very interesting.

Am i wrong in thinking that at the end there, that was Leif looking for Thorfinn? Or i also thought it could be Leif looking as Thorfinn's homeland was being plundered by slave traders?
Sep 29, 2019 12:01 PM
May 2019
Ok, they're getting me excited for how this new arc is going to unfold. Now it's time for Thorfinn to protect? I like Canute is shy, because it makes perfect sense. He's being kept away from almost every human interaction, so it's obvious he is just a wussy. Askeladd getting all protective about Canute was interesting. Does he feel the same about Thorfinn?

May 2019
NotFred said:
That was a really good episode. It felt really atmospheric. I also noticed that the background music is now louder which is a big plus. Loved the build up and the cliffhanger. That's the beauty of VS, it's takes it time and gives a lot of background. What a adventure.

YES! I really enjoy the show but I've had this nagging feeling that something was missing, I just couldn't figure out what it was, but this episode felt different and I realized it was because the volume on the background music has been way too low. It seems that they turned it up a notch in this episode and made it feel more present, I really hope it will continue like this.

Mar 2018
Damn this anime really has a great atmosphere. Especially the end had that kinda epic, end of episode feeling with the OST and the short scenes from different ppl at different places

Canute feels really out of place with all the warriors surrounding him ngl
Finally got to hear his voice tho

Love talk heh? I don't think such a scene is of no importance so I wonder where this will go

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Sep 29, 2019 12:03 PM
Sep 2019
Ah, what a nice episode. I love to see Wales, it's a nice setting.
Also, it seems that the next episode will be more action pacted.
Sep 29, 2019 12:07 PM

Jan 2009
kater_tot said:

Am i wrong in thinking that at the end there, that was Leif looking for Thorfinn?

ye thats my guess too and it cannot be iceland since that place is snowy
Sep 29, 2019 12:08 PM

May 2019
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
Elucid said:

Considering it's the exact same shite edit as last week, then yeah.

Apparently I have a reputation now for saying that err... having out of place looking fanservice shots in serious historical dramas is a bad idea. Who knew that was a radical stance?

Then I must be radical as well.
Sep 29, 2019 12:13 PM
Sep 2016
Vinland saga has been amazing every week, I love how all these characters are being built up and can't wait until Thorfinn actual ends up in Vinalnd. Also, they went to WALES! So cool to hear wales even be mentioned since most non UK people just lump it in with England and the rest.
Sep 29, 2019 12:23 PM

Feb 2019
Canute is a trap lol considering how he looks and talks. Well, it's nice to hear his voice because I thought he was gonna be a badass considering his feminine resemblance with griffith.
Sep 29, 2019 12:33 PM

Mar 2018
I loved the discussion about love. What a nasty cliffhanger that was...

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 29, 2019 12:57 PM

Nov 2016
So a trap after all.

And shit, these episodes always end too early. I dunno how long I can hold back before picking up the mango.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 29, 2019 12:58 PM

Jan 2018
I thought the priest was going to talk about booze but it turned out to be love.
Sep 29, 2019 12:59 PM

May 2019
It seems like the next episode will be full of bloodshed. I wonder how they'll escape from the ambush. If they can escape, of course. I'm anime only and 100% spoiler-free, so I'll just wait and see how this will turn out. I wonder if anyone important will die......

I loved this ending song though. It leaves me with a bunch of emotions every time. I hope the new one is just as good.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.