Sep 4, 2019 11:03 PM

Jul 2009
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Interview #198 - @Yarub ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The Grand Vizier of Arabia and a Fragment of a Crucifixion

"I’d woken up early, and I took a long time getting ready to exist."
- Fernando Pessoa

Interview conducted and reviewed by: @Skittles

Could you tell us more about yourself?

The name is Yarub (not really), a proud citizen of the Arabian Peninsula and a 20-year-old medical student. I enjoy my privileges as a student mainly due to the fact I cannot work, and so I try to compensate for it by sculpting myself as a more industrious status in my society. I do nothing of crucial note in most days. I teach science and mathematics to middle-and-high schoolers if need be, so my siblings, of course, reaped the most benefits. So yeah, I'm not much of a practical person, to say the least. I try to think of myself as the king of procrastination and someone who is pretty knowledgeable about insignificant things. I tend to put too much attention to the wrong details as you may have noticed already. Hopefully, this interview shall be concise.

How did you choose your username?

My username was founded during one of my endeavors on the internet. I had a phase when I enjoyed reading Arab history and the origins of the culture back in 2016. One weakly sourced folklore purportedly stated that Ya'rub was the son of Qahtan (the figure who "Pure Arabs" are descended from, it's a loose term so don't @ me) and as such was the king of ancient Southern Arabia, now modern Yemen. My username is derived from that. I would guess it has Aramaic origins.

Could you give us your brief history of your time on MAL?

Well, anyone can see that I joined MAL in 2012, but I only used it briefly back then. I was mostly on other forums and the famous P2P websites during their golden age. Time skip to 2015, and that's when I began posting on the MAL forums. I always posted on Casual Discussion, Current Events, and Forum Games. This habit remained till now, with minor hiatuses in 2017. So yeah, almost five years of continuous posting on Casual Discussion. I debated on various topics: religion, logic, science, philosophy, books, and even shitposting, but one of the most important ones were the Islam topics that were being posted during late 2015 - 2016. You'd always see me contributing to them.

Never been a fan of private clubs or chats, so most of my presence is on Casual Discussion and profile comments. Although, it is worth noting that I hung around CD 2.0 for a year or two, but they probably don't remember me now. The random spams and sex jokes get boring when you obtain a functional brain, I presume. No hate, though.

What led you to become a fan of anime and manga?

My cousins were the ones who introduced me to 'proper anime.' As a child, we had a lot of Arabic-dubbed anime shows: Dragon Ball Z, Hunter x Hunter, Thunder Jet, Digimon, One Piece, Naruto, and many other PG-rated classics, you name it. They were all aired for kids, and I grew up watching them. I saw my cousins watching anime in Japanese and asked them about it around the age of 11. That's when it all started. I binged much long-airing anime in the later years and the tale continues ad infinitum.

My cousins also introduced me to MAL. Not sure if I should give them gratitude or condemnation for this, though.

Could you recommend us three of your favorite anime/manga?

GunGrave
Future Boy Conan
20th Century Boys

Any users you dislike/like and why?

I'll only do this interview one time so fuck it.

First of all, I shall mention the people I like that have either been banned or left the site:

@geniobastardo (a.k.a @Trance) - Great user. He and I have a lot in common, and he's among the very few distinct MAL users you'll ever meet.

@SmoothJazzDavis - Spam lord. Also gay af.

@ChipFuu - Great friend whom I still talk with regularly.

@ArbitraryMeme - Another spam lord. No matter what you do, you can never escape the memes. In the end, they got him.

@AllenVonStein - He never stopped calling me 'gay' and other slurs for some reason. RIP.

@shotz - Not sure if he left, but this guy used to post the most amusing shit ever.

@ZA_WAYD - Loved his posts back in the day.

@Pirating_Ninja

Next are people whom I do not know personally, but do fancy their presence on the site, especially on the forums:

@katsucats - Good user, detailed insight on topics.

@Railey2 - Good user, possibly my carry on Apex Legends.

@Bobby2Hands - This guy's posts never disappoint in terms of creativity and comedic style.

This space is reserved for my bffffffffff who got his ass handed on Metal Gear Solid V and Far Cry 4 by yours truly. Rumors say he still hasn't gotten good:

@Whats-up - OG since 2012

Dislikes

Now into the not-too-fond-of zone we go:

@lupadim - A complete moron who can't argue for shit. Possesses horrible opinions and probably beyond intellectual aid.

@SadMadoka - Classic logic charlatan. Nothing gets inside his skull except those which appeal to his emotions.

@Yomiyuki - One of the more aggravating users on the forums. Talk to this guy for 10 seconds and you'll suffer a 50% loss in your brain cell functionality.

@YaoiMaster - Edgy Girl 101. Terrible user.

@TiaDee - A dumb whore and an over-sensitive piece of shit. Stop yiffing with dykes and get your shit together. Not that I wish it would happen.

Honorary Entries

@deprived - Fuck you cunt, jk

@philtecturophy - This person has a Ph.D. in mathematics, logic, and degeneracy. Absolute legend. He's sort of a retarded scientist; has a thing with the geometry of armpits. Kinda weird if you ask me.

@deprived - Fuck you cunt, not jk

Any hobbies outside of anime/manga and MAL?

Reading and hitting the gym. I try to concentrate my schedule on either of those activities, though I never really succeed at it. For reading, I prefer older short books that rely on content rather than plot or characters. I would say A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce shaped me most as a person. As for the gym, I've only been attending for a couple of months, but I can already see the difference. I used to be underweight, and I could never increase my mass prior to hitting the gym. Pretty much secured a few kilos of pure muscle during the past few months, which to a person like me is an exceptional achievement.

How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to the moderators and admins.

The forums barely run adequately. To be honest, the current team needs to make more refined decisions. They should apply the correct rationale in terms of the site rules and employ the right tools to solve certain problems. For example, banning users who create alt accounts for the sole purpose of spamming is a moot decision. While doing so can nullify the threat temporarily, you need to address the situation directly ad hominem. You may display a certain attribute to persuasion, or you may not. A parlay is essential before any decision is made or even suggested. An elementary protocol can be utilized to do just that. "What was your motive?" or " Why are you doing such malicious/miscellaneous activities?". Understanding the user—the accused—is most crucial. It might sound too complex, but I come from judicial roots, so my predisposition towards pure, unaltered judgments should not at all be surprising.

What are some travel destinations you would recommend to visitors of the Arabian Peninsula?

Don't come here during the summer. You'll get roasted, toasted, baked, dried, salted, and served to a dermatologist. If you have the money and love cities, definitely visit Dubai. Nothing beats Burj Khalifa and Dubai Mall in the winter. If you wish to experience more of the culture, you'd need to go to the more subtle regions, such as Bahrain or Oman. The latter has nice weather overall, but the former has a higher tourism value. I'm not much of a guide, though.

Tutoring young students sounds fun! Do you have a passion for teaching?

Not particularly. I just find the activity relaxing and mutually beneficial. The kid gets taught, and I cement elementary information into my head. You'd be surprised how much bite-sized information gained from school can be helpful in real life. I personally wouldn't choose it as a vocation even if I was forced to. Over time, teaching gets to you and fucks up your mood since you're around a huge group of kids for a long period. I only teach one-on-one, so funny enough, I still get stage fright in presentations.

Is being a medical student as difficult as most people claim it to be?

Yes and no. It takes effort—too much effort, in fact—but that's really it. Most of the studies aren't much more than rote memorization, so it's not as hard as physics in my opinion. The only thing you'll be having trouble with is time and determination. I allocate more time to leisure than to studies. For each subject, I'd be late for five classes on average in mid-semester (i.e. If I am attending my 25th biology lecture today, my personal studying and knowledge would only cover up to the 20th lecture). Don't ask how; it just accumulates quickly.

If you can revisit history and fix a catastrophic mistake, what would it be and why?

I'd dissuade Genghis Khan on the idea of sacking Baghdad during the Mongol Empire expansion. If that's too far-fetched, then I would bring the knowledge from Baghdad to Europe, allowing the Italian Renaissance to develop earlier than it did originally. I think the world would be a bit more advanced than it is right now.

Do you think MAL users are knowledgeable when it comes to topics like philosophy and religion?

In general? No. Definitely no. I have spoken to several well-versed MAL users over the years, but in general, most people on MAL like to parrot or vindicate/criminate things that do and do not appeal to their emotions.

Which forum do you think went through the most changes from the time you began posting on MAL?

It is quite clear to almost everyone who frequented the site before 2017 that Casual Discussion has gone from its original experience to a general opinions section. The forum is fairly boring now as it mainly contains repetitive threads, but it is what it is. Don't get me wrong, the boring topics were always there; it's just people don't care for the forum experience anymore.

Current Events features much less religious topics than it did before. Now, it’s almost exclusively about semi-controversial US-based topics like gun regulation, Trump, mass shootings, etc. Most other types of news tend to be dwarfed by them. I find little interest in such threads, so I don't frequent the board as much as I did in the past.

Are MAL's more assertive posters competent debaters in your opinion?

I'd figured this might come up since I made a thread about it before. Most users have a niche topic they always debate on. Some people consider their own opinions as gospels and never sway in their motive to waste other people's time. Only a small fraction of MAL, I feel, can appreciate an intellectual discussion of things that are both real and metaphysical. What is virtuous, however, is another topic. Being in MAL would speak the largest in that regard.

What argument are you most tired of seeing on the forums?

As of now, the age of consent threads. They are hilariously sickening to read.

Here are a few others:
  • 'How Millenials are Bad' threads
  • Threads about how to date or talk to women
  • “I have depression, pls halp” threads

Which three MAL users do you think would make suitable Forum Moderators and why? You are not allowed to mention yourself.

That's a tough one. I'll go for the more sensible users rather than the efficient-but-prude ones.

@Railey2 - This guy never showed much hesitation in showing his true views. He also seems to be one of the more normal people on the forums.

@Trance - He would make the site at least bearable again.

@Katsucats - Actually gives good input whenever you need him to do so.

Do you see yourself leaving MAL in the near future?

Nope. If I have time to spare, I'll be here. Unless the forums get shut down or something.

Is there something unasked you would like to talk about?

Umm, Razer products are trash.

Tea > Coffee

Samsung > Apple

Trap Rap > Bling Rap

Bruh > Bro

Any feedback on the interview format?

No input; it’s good enough.

Can you recommend us three members who we can choose from to interview next and briefly explain why you would like to read their interviews?

@Bobby2Hands - I’d love to hear his story living in the lands of England, especially with tea in hand and the bullocks to talk shit about the glorious English weather in my presence.

@Philtecturophy - This guy will make for the most hilarious and shitty interview at the same time. I love this guy, no homo.

Skittles: Still missing one more candidate, but I'll let it slide :^)

I think that’s it for me, ladies and gentlemen.

This marks the end of the interview. Thank you for your participation!
SkittlesSep 4, 2019 11:07 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 4, 2019 11:52 PM
Jul 2014
Great interview...although Hulagu Khan sacked Baghdad, not Genghis. Keep up the hard work in medical school. I didn't have a room mate and totally burned out in my 3rd year! Don't be like me.
Sep 5, 2019 12:16 AM

Aug 2012
literaturenerd said:
Great interview...although Hulagu Khan sacked Baghdad, not Genghis. Keep up the hard work in medical school. I didn't have a room mate and totally burned out in my 3rd year! Don't be like me.
Fuck, should've doubled-checked that fact. I almost swore I read that it was Genghis. Maybe I just associated the ring leader with his descendants. My bad.

Thanks alot. I'll try to keep up.
Sep 5, 2019 2:48 AM
Jun 2013
im still alive u chode licker
Sep 5, 2019 3:39 AM

Aug 2012
shotz said:
I haven't seen you on the forums for awhile so I assumed you quit. Why the fuck do you still have that old lady in your profile?
Sep 5, 2019 6:06 AM

Dec 2013
I like this interview
P.S. Yarub has two smelly armpits, mathematically speaking

Sep 5, 2019 11:37 AM

Aug 2012
philtecturophy said:
I like this interview
P.S. Yarub has two smelly armpits, mathematically speaking
Of course you'd like it. It's done by me, your favourite friendly neighborhood MAL user.

P.S Phil has a converging penis, mathematically speaking.
Sep 5, 2019 11:50 AM

Jul 2017
lmao just destroys the people he dislikes in one sentence XD
Sep 5, 2019 1:51 PM

Aug 2018
any1 who likes smooth is probably awful

♡ I promise i'm much more pleasant on discord so♡

♡come chat with me and my friends
Sep 5, 2019 1:55 PM

Aug 2012
Zerity said:
lmao just destroys the people he dislikes in one sentence XD
You know how it is.
Chowy said:
any1 who likes smooth is probably awful
Someone here had a bad experience.
Sep 5, 2019 2:03 PM

Aug 2018
i'm just surprised someone had a good experience.

♡ I promise i'm much more pleasant on discord so♡

♡come chat with me and my friends
Sep 5, 2019 3:06 PM
Jun 2013
Yarub said:
shotz said:
I haven't seen you on the forums for awhile so I assumed you quit. Why the fuck do you still have that old lady in your profile?
ive been busy being a fucking hustler irl

on the topic of smooth hes just a wild bitch u just have to tame him
shotzSep 5, 2019 3:16 PM
Sep 6, 2019 8:18 AM

Dec 2014
@Yarub
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Sep 6, 2019 9:00 AM

Apr 2012
Who even are you? @Yarub

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Sep 6, 2019 9:04 AM

Aug 2012
Immahnoob said:
Who even are you? @Yarub
I suppose you haven't read my interview?
Sep 6, 2019 10:19 AM

Apr 2012
Yarub said:
Immahnoob said:
Who even are you? @Yarub
I suppose you haven't read my interview?
I can attest that it was pretty garbage, yes, but that wasn't really my point here, I am talking about who the hell even were you on MAL?

I don't remember you having any presence at all. It's bewildering how you could even come up with so many names considering that.

Autocrat said:
Sep 6, 2019 1:27 PM

Aug 2012
Immahnoob said:
I can attest that it was pretty garbage, yes, but that wasn't really my point here, I am talking about who the hell even were you on MAL?
Likewise, but I digress, I cannot express my happiness from the fact that I wasted your time reading my garbage interview. Thanks for making my day.

I don't remember you having any presence at all. It's bewildering how you could even come up with so many names considering that.
It's as if you don't have the option of changing usernames or forum avatars, huh?

Back in 2015, I used to be IntellectualMr, maybe this avatar would freshen your memory. I've had the name until late-2016 where I briefly changed my name to Yarub, then to Rasheed in 2017, and back to Yarub in 2018. During those times I had multiple Arab-oriented avatars.

Maybe it's just that I post when you get btfo'd the site. I only posted in threads that interested me, anyway.
YarubSep 6, 2019 1:55 PM
Sep 7, 2019 10:52 AM

Dec 2014
@Immahnoob

And who are you bitch
Sep 7, 2019 2:58 PM

Apr 2012
Karote said:
@Immahnoob

And who are you bitch
You are clearly not worthy.

Yarub said:
Likewise, but I digress, I cannot express my happiness from the fact that I wasted your time reading my garbage interview. Thanks for making my day.
Life is all about sacrifice and ordeals. I only grow stronger.

Back in 2015, I used to be IntellectualMr, maybe this avatar would freshen your memory. I've had the name until late-2016 where I briefly changed my name to Yarub, then to Rasheed in 2017, and back to Yarub in 2018. During those times I had multiple Arab-oriented avatars.

Maybe it's just that I post when you get btfo'd the site. I only posted in threads that interested me, anyway.
I see, I do believe I remember something, that I was in agreement with you once, so you weren't doing that bad.

Oh well, I do agree that the forums are improperly moderated.

Autocrat said:
Sep 7, 2019 3:02 PM

Aug 2012
Immahnoob said:
I see, I do believe I remember something, that I was in agreement with you once, so you weren't doing that bad.
Touche, I guess.

Oh well, I do agree that the forums are improperly moderated.
Well, is it finally over for you then? No more posting in CD? Did the final nail hurt you so bad that you couldn't get out of the coffin anymore? Because this is where John Cena comes along and actually helps. For the 20k.
Sep 7, 2019 3:21 PM

Dec 2014
Immahnoob said:
Karote said:
@Immahnoob

And who are you bitch
You are clearly not worthy.
I can lift the Mjolnir, so watch your mouth.
Sep 8, 2019 6:07 AM

Apr 2012
Yarub said:
Well, is it finally over for you then? No more posting in CD? Did the final nail hurt you so bad that you couldn't get out of the coffin anymore? Because this is where John Cena comes along and actually helps. For the 20k.
It's been over for years, I tried entering CE, but man, that sucks too bad. It doesn't feel the same at all.

Politics have that issue that they depend on the media.

Autocrat said:
Sep 23, 2019 8:01 AM

Jan 2018
This is like one of the easiest interview to read. No bait I raid 51/51.
Oct 14, 2019 1:26 AM

Dec 2013
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations V2 ( 1 2 )

Skittles - Nov 21, 2021

64 by Dapper_Dhampir14 »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:01 PM

» Interview 24 - Kineta

Daconator - Jun 10, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Aug 5, 2023 3:36 PM

» Interview #267 - lpf

spaceslut - Mar 28, 2023

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

» Interview #254 - IrrelevantGuy

NextUniverse - Apr 9, 2022

8 by IrrelevantGuy »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:30 AM

» Interview #200 - Shinah

Mimurona - Oct 13, 2019

10 by Shinah »»
Mar 9, 2023 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.