Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2010 11:53 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Minasoko"

All in all a very good 4 part OVA. I would have liked to have seen a background story or a post story but this would do.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenSep 8, 2019 1:08 PM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Feb 23, 2010 2:58 PM

May 2008
It felt rather incomplete. Guess I better read the manga then.
May 17, 2010 10:21 PM

May 2008
they were very vague about the fate of mutio. It annoys me. other than that it was a good OVA.
Jun 23, 2010 5:55 AM

Feb 2008
I didn't like at. At all. The story was all over the place, poor character development, and a bad ending.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Oct 13, 2010 11:03 AM

Feb 2009
Desian said:
they were very vague about the fate of mutio. It annoys me. other than that it was a good OVA.

Agreed,i realy wanted to see more of her.And indeed,other than that it was a good OVA.,

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Oct 18, 2010 1:52 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I really enjoyed this OVA.
p r o f i l e 👀
Dec 11, 2010 3:23 PM

Mar 2010
Incoherent piece of shit

MAEDA I AM DISAPPOINT
Jan 20, 2011 11:30 PM
Jan 2010
I really enjoyed this OVA. I missed it back in the Toonami days, which is a shame in retrospect, and didn't catch it until a few years back. I wouldn't say that the character development was as bad as people make it out to be as Hayami does develop pretty well throughout, the problem is that he's the only character who really does. That's mostly due to him having way more character development scenes than anyone else.

That said, Kino was woefully underdeveloped considering her role in the finale but I blame that entirely on a lack of screen time. She also has the second most character development scenes, though many of them are focused on developing Hayami. Still, she felt a bit jerky in her character transitions, most notably her affection for Hayami.

The biggest problem with the show was the heavy use of CGI. What a lot of people don't understand is that there is a break even point on CGI, which is to say that once enough is used it starts becoming cheaper (due to faster production times) than traditional animation. Given the quantity of CGI and when it was made, my theory is that it was done for cost cutting reasons under the PR guise of "cool new technology".

On the flip side, the hand drawn animation was all excellent and was all really well designed. It wasn't just pleasant to look at but interesting, maybe even exciting. The beast people, which I realize upon writing this was never named, had interesting designs and the technology, human ships and such, had a very classic great look to it.

That aside, I thought that the plot (conceptually certainly) and setting were excellent. It's an action series so there is a ton of fighting which I only felt overwhelmed by in the finale. Of course that may have merely been my impatience to hear the entire final conversation as I thought that the fighting had some very cool scenes there too.

There may be something to be said about this having been better if it were longer (say 13 episodes) but being as concise as it is might be a large factor of why it is as good as it is. There's probably about 100 minutes worth of content, which is equal to a movie, so part of it may be that it's broken into episodes instead of being a movie.
Jul 17, 2011 4:29 PM

Jun 2010
UncannyGarlic said:
The beast people, which I realize upon writing this was never named, had interesting designs...

Some of them, like Mutio, had interesting designs. The rest, like Vega, were silly animal people.

I thought the whole thing embodied a negative stereotype of anime; pretentious pseudo-philosophy wrapped in shallow action.
Sep 21, 2012 2:52 PM

Mar 2009
what i really love was the submarine action~
Jul 17, 2013 11:25 PM
Feb 2008
So Zyondyke just wanted everyone to talk and get along instead of competing against one another or something? or was he just made Monsanto let him go without a severance package?

I mean you don't need to kill 80% of the population to start a converstaion do you? Seemed like he went back and forth between being a nihlist and wanting to generate an actual new world order to help mankind

Still not sure what was going on with Hayami's old buddy

Original concept and interesting execution but it could've been a lot better with some more time
Aug 3, 2013 3:13 AM

Dec 2008
Fantastic...I think I may have seen it back when...but who cares!!!? Good lessons to be learned and really a chilling reminder of what may and could happen...the natural upheavel part...though IM sure some scientist furry fanatic would make dr moreau hybrids. MUSIC!!!
Aug 24, 2013 6:30 PM

Nov 2011
It was okay I guess....

I haven't read manga yet but was meh for me. Music and the fantasy elements were some of the highlights for me.
Aug 25, 2013 2:40 PM

Jul 2012
I really liked the show but I thought it was a tad confusing.
Jan 8, 2014 10:02 PM
Jul 2018
dat cliffhanger.
could be better with only 4 ep. :D
ep. 2 the best for me.
Jan 15, 2014 12:41 PM

Sep 2013
Good OVA, Zyondyke was such a jerk though for flooding the whole planet.
Mar 15, 2014 8:21 PM

Apr 2012
Eh, hoped for more. The last 2 episodes just played out like you thought they might from the first, with no real surprises or frills.

(3. Mutant girl saves & befriends guy; 4. Final attack, misanthropic villain's unsatisfying exposition, all hold hands)
Nov 8, 2014 4:37 PM

May 2012
This was pretty damn impressive! Really liked this last episode to be honest, while the story isn't really finished the story that was laid out here did and it sure was pretty good if you ask me! Besides the rather weak 1999-2000 CGI it had still pretty strong visuals and quite nice story development.

I'd love to see a movie remake of this story actually! 8/10
Apr 18, 2016 3:08 AM
Dec 2015
This show in general is too short. Wish they made a 12 episode story, with more development overall. Like it is is not enough.
Apr 22, 2016 12:05 PM

May 2012
alinet86 said:
dat cliffhanger.
ep. 2 the best for me.

I don't think this is what you usually call a cliffhanger.
Apr 22, 2016 7:06 PM
Jul 2018
arilando said:
alinet86 said:
dat cliffhanger.
ep. 2 the best for me.

I don't think this is what you usually call a cliffhanger.

Well it must have been like a cliffhanger ending to me, although it's been 2 years already and I don't even know what this anime is all about by now. XD
May 4, 2016 2:12 AM

Mar 2016
UncannyGarlic said:

There may be something to be said about this having been better if it were longer (say 13 episodes) but being as concise as it is might be a large factor of why it is as good as it is. There's probably about 100 minutes worth of content, which is equal to a movie, so part of it may be that it's broken into episodes instead of being a movie.

Imagine how good this could be if done now with a movie budget. Story would need to be fleshed out a little more but honestly, besides wanting more character development for mutio and kino I think the story was fine. They dont need to spoon feed it, if people are confused they can watch it again. Some stuff just isnt explained, fill in the gaps with your imagination people, if you have one. This is the kind of story that should be left open anyways.
Mar 13, 2018 11:46 PM

Jul 2017
Sort of a Frankenstein-esque story; it even ends at the edge of the world. Hayami killed Zorndyke, and I want to ask "why?" though I know why. The story wasn't ever totally, clearly sorted out, but it's an expressionist story caught in the mists of the unknown.
Mar 29, 2018 4:34 PM

Aug 2010
What's with the heart of Zorndyke? anyone?
TheInvisibleSelfMar 29, 2018 6:10 PM
Aug 22, 2019 2:00 PM

Dec 2015
a big pile of non sense especially this last episode
Sep 7, 2019 11:08 PM

Feb 2010
Jirokissaw said:

i guess its true that attention really has shrunk if young people can't even keep up with 4 episode s :P

TheInvisibleSelf said:
he ripped out his heart and put it in a machine to power it. that hole was just that an empty hole.

Yup said:

my only main complaint was that they left off at kinda an awkward spot. i heard the game has a more complete ending that takes place after they are on the beach of the arctic so maybe once that's translated i'll pick it up.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 8, 2019 1:57 AM

Dec 2015
hazarddex said:
Jirokissaw said:

i guess its true that attention really has shrunk if young people can't even keep up with 4 episode s :P

TheInvisibleSelf said:
he ripped out his heart and put it in a machine to power it. that hole was just that an empty hole.

Yup said:

my only main complaint was that they left off at kinda an awkward spot. i heard the game has a more complete ending that takes place after they are on the beach of the arctic so maybe once that's translated i'll pick it up.

Okay uncle hazard you need to hear me out on this it's not about me not keeping up or focusing on the story it's more about the plot itself the plot was rushed and compressed and the big idea that didn't give any sense to me is how can these creature created and raised and teached by a human that they love so much and at the same time they hate other humans this much at least they would have a curiosity about humans.
and then after killing millions in this non sense war you figure out that Zyondyke did all this for them to coexist and communicate the fuck?!
And don't tell me that Mutio reached out to Hayami because of her curiousity she got confused after he saved her

Ps:i'm not that young :p
Apr 27, 2020 7:21 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
After finishing this anime I don’t feel complete. It lacked a good wrap up. I enjoy the reasoning why Zorndyke did everything. I just don’t feel satisfied with the ending most likely because they left us wanting to know more of how they handled this new information. Character development lacked for Kino which sucked since she is the side kick character. I think this concept needed more than 4 episodes to flesh out. This was unfortunately too ambitious.
Aug 30, 2020 8:30 PM

Oct 2015
The show was OK but I don't like the Final at one point: I wish that shark should be dead, to get worse Mutio (the fish girl) went away with him, that was disgusting...
That thing doesn't deserve her.
6/10
Nov 18, 2020 3:33 PM

Sep 2014
wow that was kinda trash. Considering 98 the animation wasnt bad, but the characters are all shallow as possible and the story.. what a mess.

It doesnt even work as a prove of concept for me. Feels like vastly better stories ripped off and mixed together.

Someone else here said it well, pretentious and pseudo phylosophic. "I killed billions of people because I dont like this world now you cant kill me that would just be evil revenge" creates mutants which kill humans on sight "dont fight back just talk brah"

Feels like they wanted in on the "mutual understanding" BS early and it failed completely.
Just watch Gunbuster
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 19, 2020 7:49 AM

Nov 2013
It's pretty boring from start to finish. A very dry OVA with lots and lots of CGI.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 5, 2021 7:09 AM

Aug 2017
I kinda didn't feel anything watching this OVA. Interesting mix of various ideas, designs and (especially) music that suffers from lack of time and, I guess, decent direction (Maeda improved in Gankutsuou, though). Zorndyke's voice was pretty unique.

The abyss watches you.

Jan 23, 2023 9:24 PM

Jul 2016
zorndyke's reasoning and mindset are all to me the senile ramblings of a lunatic for what i care. it was a bunch of useless crap. i get what they were trying to go for with his character, but that didn't sell to me a single bit. zorndyke was screwed from conception. it seems that the motivations for his actions were jumping left to right, contradicting ideals in conflict with each... did he want to destroy the world or not?! counting on the nukes, directly targeting agricultural areas (ex. wheat) that supported human life, purposefully wiping out whole populations of humans including his own family (iirc), creating hybrids and creatures to kill the entire race zealously, betraying his past comrades and friends, hijacking communication systems... that goes beyond a international war criminal. he says he wouldn't go as far as to play god as he sits in some run-down hut on a tropical island, yet this is nothing short of that. but hey - just talk to the bloodthirsty hybrids yeah? stupid as f*ck... there had to be brainwashing on his side of things. he's their creator who raised and taught them. there's no way that so many of them (sentient beings) would blindly task themselves with eradicating the humans at birth if he had any real wishes for them to communicate and co-exist. verg even views him as a father figure, calling him 'papa'. zorndyke was plainly playing house with his toys as he watched their carnage dealt onto his own kind.

character designs were unique, i'd enjoy watching a whole spin-off series of just the creatures. verg and some other specimens reminded me of the 1982 dark fantasy film, the dark crystal. including the laughter. as unclear of the future the ending was, it glued me to the screen and i rewinded parts of it multiple times. the tears produced by humans made up of salt water, like the ocean. mutio and verg must share a deep connection for mutio to still care for his injuries after his horrific deeds. what hayami might have been for mutio was the catalyst of questioning if all humans were as bad as it were portrayed.
Mar 5, 2023 10:27 AM

May 2010
This is a rough comment section full of people who lack basic media literacy. This felt like a well put together movie. The MC had a great character arc and his growth spread to the people around him. From the girl letting go of her hate to the shark monster not killing him. It shows there is a chance for peace and even if we are hurting we can forgive and build a world together. This had such an inspiring and hopeful message.
May 9, 2023 7:29 PM

Mar 2022
As short it was, I really did enjoy myself here like I said it in the previous episode discussion thread. It was a very good OVA series, with some slick animation and a smashing soundtrack plus tons of action to be had. There was plenty of character development for the record, but I feel like because of the short length of it all, it should've maybe fleshed out the characters maybe a bit more but at the same time I'm fine with how it all turned out. CGI was dated in places but I accept it as more of a product of the 90s if anything because as Beast Wars has proven you can have the CGI be bad so long as you have the show work around it sort of thing. I'll give it an 8.
May 27, 2023 9:00 PM

Feb 2017
Eh, it started off strong and interesting. My favorite parts were when he woke up and saw the ship destroyed, and when he was stranded on the wreckage with Mutio. But the plot degraded into utter edgy cheese by the end. It was like they didn't have enough time and a lot got cut.

The pacifist conclusion made me roll my eyes. So did the half-baked philosophy which felt manipulative.

I don't know why they included the shark peen. I could have done without seeing that.
Floral_soapMay 27, 2023 9:08 PM
Jun 26, 2023 5:20 AM

Jan 2016
Found the art, animation, background art and all pretty good, but then there is those long ass CGI battles that completely ruin the mood

Aug 8, 2023 2:16 PM

Dec 2022
The message here is a ludicrous gamble, especially when the humans didn't start the conflict and were on the losing side for most of the anime until the last episode, but I could see how someone with Zorndyke's power and misantrophy would rationalise that destruction of this magnitude works as a balancing mechanism of some sorts. I can't deny that he otherwise appears to believe in the supremacy of his own beastfolk creations, and most of his machinations specifically benefit them rather than the humans he supposedly wants them to be seen as equal with, including his plans for a polar shift if the human side managed to turn the tide with their nuclear arsenal. His experience of peaceful beastfolk comes exclusively from his status as their creator and his seclusion on an isolated island where a pacifist group of them was cultivated.

Don't know if the cover fooled me into thinking Mutio would be a character of importance, but she wasn't in the end. Her plot relevance started and ended when she saved Hayami. Still thought this was a good anime for the most part. The inconclusive and unsatisfying ending wasn't amazing by any means, but it was beautifully animated and constructed outside of that. The tale of the plot itself unfolded without too much confusion (barring the man who transformed into a fishman, who should've got more narrative focus), and the characters ended up being universally decent for such a short OVA.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Submarine No. 6 Episode 1 Discussion

Dodecahedron-O24 - Jan 2, 2010

25 by AngelFlash »»
Yesterday, 1:37 AM

Poll: » Blue Submarine No. 6 Episode 3 Discussion

14 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 8, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » Blue Submarine No. 6 Episode 2 Discussion

17 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 8, 2023 11:41 AM

» Anyone can explain the ending/last episode ?

ExoticBankai - Aug 4, 2020

2 by PxHC »»
Jun 26, 2023 5:00 AM

» Bluray DVD Comparison

TrishaCat - Nov 21, 2013

3 by Catalano »»
Jul 6, 2015 10:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.