Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2019 8:20 AM

Feb 2017
i watched death note with my mom over a decade ago. not an anime ofc but we watched avatar the last airbender together a few years after that. i tried to get her into hunter x hunter 2011 today but she ended up leaving to do something else after episode 2 which i cant blame her for cuz i feel like the first two episodes are pretty weak and it doesnt get interesting until episode 3 or 4. other than that we've watched a handful of ghibli movies together.

how bout yall
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 16, 2019 8:25 AM

Aug 2012
Just some Ghibli movies and that's it.
Jul 16, 2019 8:27 AM
Jul 2018
I've gotten my mom to watch like the first six episodes of Sailor Moon with me at one point, but then after that we just kind of stopped committing to watching more together each weekend. I'm sure if I brought it up to her again we would continue watching again.

I also showed my dad Princess Mononoke and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, although he had a hard time really getting into either.

I've also watched anime in the living room from physical copies of the DVD's that I own, and at times my parents would sit in on what I was watching, even though they were completely lost lol.

Jul 16, 2019 8:36 AM

May 2019
My mom would watch Code Geass with me whenever she wasn't busy with her work.

It was kind of strange at first since I usually watch anime alone, but it's actually kind of nice to be able to share something I love with someone I care about, even if she has no idea what's going on most of the time.
Jul 16, 2019 8:37 AM

Aug 2018
sarazanmai boy that was uncomfortable
JK JK i didn't even watch that
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Jul 16, 2019 8:38 AM

Dec 2015
Mostly watched with, before or put on tape for my father.

Ulysses XXXI, Cities of Gold,
Those many Shônen JUMP adaptations we got on french children TV (Cobra, DB, DBZ, StS, City Hunter, etc)
Akira.
Of course, the Harlock series.
Most Ghibli movies. (my mother saw some of them too)

Actually, I could list most things of my youth (on TV) and add whatever I purchased as VHS/DVD pack and some fansubs from the 2000s (plus of a few older series, 80s or so).
Jul 16, 2019 8:43 AM

Nov 2016
I watched the Ghost in the Shell movies with my father.
Jul 16, 2019 8:57 AM
Feb 2014
I watched these with my mom:

Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Prétear, Fruits Basket(The 2001 version), Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Rockman.EXE, Matantei Loki Ragnarok, Lovely Complex, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX(only the third arc), Shaman King, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist(the 2003 version), D.Gray-man(Haven't shown her the sequel Hallow yet), Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Naruto + some of Naruto Shippuden, Karneval, Tegamibachi + the sequel Tegamibachi Reverse, Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru + the sequel Zoku Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru and Katsugeki Touken Ranbu.

I also think i may have showed her some epiosdes of Digimon and Sailor Moon in the past, but i'm not sure, i'm definitely still planning on showing her more anime, i'm thinking maybe Bungou Stray Dogs next, hehe.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jul 16, 2019 9:13 AM

Jul 2014
At most them walking in on me watching something and going ????? at what was going on
Most recent was the other day and super dimension fortress macross.
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Jul 16, 2019 9:15 AM

Mar 2012
My mother used to watch City Hunter and Black Jack with me back when it was being aired on Animax.
Jul 16, 2019 9:17 AM

Jul 2016
I know I've watched Steins;Gate with them around. My dad thought it was really melodramatic. He's also a big fan of the Ghibli films he's seen but my mum really wasn't. I've also shown my dad Ghost in the Shell which, if I remember right, he thought was 'interesting'.
Edit: I kind of want to show him Adolescence of Utena or The Night is Short Walk on Girl, cause I know he's a fan of arthouse-y stuff. I wonder what he'd get out of it?
Jul 16, 2019 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
My mom is 50 and does not like "cartoons". She did enjoy Howl's Moving Castle and A Letter to Momo, though her reaction after Princess Kaguya was "What kind of an ending was that?!"
Jul 16, 2019 9:22 AM

Aug 2013
Titles like Digimon, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and most kid-oriented stuff.
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Jul 16, 2019 9:22 AM

Feb 2017
I watched Ghost in the Shell, Totoro, Spirited Away with my mother, also first two seasons of Attack on Titan.
Jul 16, 2019 9:26 AM
Jul 2017
The first and only time I watched an anime with my family was when Perfect Blue came out in theatres last year. It was with my grandparents because I live with them and they’re reaction was more on the positive side. It was basically “I don’t know what I watched but I like what I watched, I think?”
Jul 16, 2019 9:35 AM
Feb 2017
My dad watched the first episode of Death Note with me and said "Not my cup of tea". Continues to watch shows with the same caliber like Stranger Things though, funny.
Jul 16, 2019 9:35 AM

Jun 2016
I've watched noragami with my biological dad and step-dad, I mean, it is my favorite anime and we decided to watch it between days while eating dinner or lunch.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jul 16, 2019 9:42 AM
May 2018
I, my mom and my sister enjoyed PINGU a lot together back in the days! It was a laughing treat!

These days, I'm into....... yea.
Dm7 Was Here

Jul 16, 2019 12:02 PM

Mar 2015
Just some Ghibli movies and Kimi no Na Wa with my mom.

Ngl I rly wanna show her my fav anime even though I know she probably won't like it xd
Jul 16, 2019 12:25 PM

Nov 2017
Ghibli marathon with my sister and that's it really. I still need to watch FMAB with my mom since I got her into the manga
Jul 16, 2019 12:27 PM
May 2019
I don't like watching anime with my parents. I prefer to watch anime alone or if I must with friends.
Jul 16, 2019 12:29 PM

Aug 2016
My dad actually watched some of FMAB and Death Note with me maybe like a year and a half ago? Oh but I guess when I was a kid my dad would watch Naruto with me he thought that was pretty interesting.
Jul 16, 2019 1:10 PM

Jun 2017
I'm not living with my parents anymore but probably I gonna watch Kaguya-sama with my mom in this summer
Jul 16, 2019 1:17 PM
Nov 2018
Yeah, whenever I watched Naruto on the TV my mum sat down and asked me questions. I think she knows a bit about the Naruto lore now XD.
I want to get her into a silent voice and she has seen a bit of full metal alchemist whenever I watched it. I think that's all though :/
Jul 16, 2019 1:51 PM

Dec 2016
None so far, and wouldn't do it ever, would be so awkward tbh.
Jul 16, 2019 6:01 PM

Oct 2016
My mom loves anime. I'm currently watching Psycho-Pass with my sister and mom. I got my mom into anime back in 2014 or so with Death Note. Since then, I've been able to pinpoint what kinds of anime she likes.
I went ahead and asked her what some of her favorites were.
She said her favorites are Attack On Titan, Kabaneri Of The Iron Fortress, Kaiji, Death Note, and anything Ghibli. Her favorite character is L.
She hasn't watched as much as me, but when I start watching something I think she'll like, I make sure to tell her.
I've said this a bunch on here, but she'll often argue with her friends that anime is different than cartoons.
I should get her to make a MAL, haha.

Jul 16, 2019 6:03 PM

Mar 2015
None.

But I've watched some of Dragon Ball, Cardcaptor Sakura, and My Neighboor Totoro with my little sister.
woah there
Jul 16, 2019 6:07 PM

Jun 2017
I watched quite a lot with my father in the early to late 00s.
Mostly DBZ, One Piece, and Detective Conan, but they stopped airing them on the national TV and since then we didn't have any reasons to watch shows together.
Gamefan121Jul 16, 2019 6:10 PM
http://steinsgate.jp/10th/ FGO:591,495,201 (NA)
Jul 17, 2019 1:52 AM
Jul 2019
I watched Naruto with my mom as a kid. We also watched Spirited Away as a family. But nothing recent
Jul 17, 2019 2:03 AM

May 2014
My mum has seen a little over 50 anime series now. With some of her favourites being, Nana, Noragami, Kamisama Kiss and Skip Beat which we are currently watching.

I haven't made a list of what my dad has seen, but i'd say it's around 20 series. Some of his favourites are Made in Abyss, Death Note and FMA.
Jul 17, 2019 2:22 AM

Jun 2019
Pokémon and YuGiOh when I was a kid.

Jul 17, 2019 4:28 AM

Feb 2017
Mirai said:
Just some Ghibli movies and Kimi no Na Wa with my mom.

Ngl I rly wanna show her my fav anime even though I know she probably won't like it xd

i bet i can guess what your fav is lol.
Jul 17, 2019 5:16 AM

May 2018
Only some episodes of Detective Conan with my mom...and she was very interested watching Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi "Now this looks like something I would like!" but I was like "Naaah, Ghibli movies are trash." and I didn't rent the DVD.
Jul 17, 2019 5:27 AM
Aug 2017
I watched some ghibli movies, kimi no na wa, koe no katachi, wolf children, Mary and the witch's flower, satsuriko no tenshi and the promised neverland with my mom! Her favorite, strangely enough, was satsuriko no tenshi
Jul 17, 2019 9:34 AM

Nov 2016
I watch anime with my mum pretty much daily, and we see all kinds of shows. Watched HxH (2011) together for the first time and we loved it (tho it took us about 6 months), we're caught up with JoJo (she liked part 1/2/4 but not the rest as much); she's seen trash shows with me like Amnesia, and some Ghilbi films ofc. I even made her a mal cus she watches stuff on her own occasionally, she particularly likes romance/shounen and she's even recommended shows to me before that I enjoyed (Yona + Shirayuki-Hime) so I'd say she's a fairly seasoned weeb lol.
currently: doing my best!

Jul 17, 2019 9:45 AM
Oct 2017
BlakexEkalb said:
My dad watched the first episode of Death Note with me and said "Not my cup of tea". Continues to watch shows with the same caliber like Stranger Things though, funny.

anime's not for everyone :) besides, in my opinion, Stranger things is awesome.
Jul 17, 2019 9:49 AM

Mar 2019
I remember a few years ago we watched FMAB together because we were just bored. That experience kicked off the whole entire family diving into the world of anime, and it had been pretty great
Jul 17, 2019 9:50 AM

Feb 2017
Cynder360 said:
I watch anime with my mum pretty much daily, and we see all kinds of shows. Watched HxH (2011) together for the first time and we loved it (tho it took us about 6 months), we're caught up with JoJo (she liked part 1/2/4 but not the rest as much); she's seen trash shows with me like Amnesia, and some Ghilbi films ofc. I even made her a mal cus she watches stuff on her own occasionally, she particularly likes romance/shounen and she's even recommended shows to me before that I enjoyed (Yona + Shirayuki-Hime) so I'd say she's a fairly seasoned weeb lol.

aww thats really cool.

i want a weeb mom lol
Jul 17, 2019 10:01 AM

Jun 2019
With my mom we watched Pokemon, Dragon Ball and Card Captor Sakura, all that happened when I was a kid, now that I'm a young adult, watching anime has become a ritual for me, so I watch it completely alone.

P.D. But now I'm thinking that in the future I would like to watch anime with my children.
SloszeyJul 17, 2019 10:05 AM
Jul 17, 2019 11:30 AM

Dec 2012
We have watched a bunch of movies together, either in the theater or on DVD/BD:

The Boy and the Beast
Castle in the Sky
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie
Howl's Moving Castle
Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Steamboy
Summer Wars
Sword of the Stranger
Time of Eve: The Movie
When Marnie Was There
The Wind Rises

As far as individual taste in series, my dad liked:

Cowboy Bebop
Ergo Proxy
Galaxy Railways
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Arise
RahXephon

Mom likes:
Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmei
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Arise
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

It's pretty much impossible to get them to commit to a whole series though even if they like it. I don't know where I got my ability to marathon stuff from.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 17, 2019 11:37 AM

Sep 2017
I watched every Ghibli movies with my parents,

these movies :
- Akira
- Ghost in the shell
- A silent voice
- Your Name
- The Boy and the Beast
- Wolf Children
- Perfect Blue
- Sword of the Stranger
- Colorful
- Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
- Patema inverted
- Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni
- Giovanni no Shima

and some series :
- Code Geass
- Made in Abyss
- Your lie in April
- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Their favourite one is Your lie in April, they both really loved it

And I plan to make them watch Mushishi soon
Jul 20, 2019 7:40 PM

Oct 2018
I usually watch western animated shows with my dad, but one time we watched the first few episodes of Death Note together. I think he liked it, but we just ended up forgetting about it for whatever reason. Same thing happened with Monster. I also forced him to watch the first episode of No Game No Life, which was pretty uncomfortable.
Jul 20, 2019 7:45 PM

Feb 2017
i got my mum to watch my neighbour totoro with me but that's it

i'd like to watch more ghibli films with her & my dad too possibly

placeholder text
Jul 20, 2019 7:56 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Hummm...I watched a few episodes of DxD, TLR and Monmusu with my mom. She didn't like TLR as much as she liked DxD and Monmusu, so I think I'm finally justified in disowning her.

We were going to watch Zombieland Saga last time I went over there, but we ended up not watching anything and she just proceeded to talk to me about a bunch of dumb shit that, with time, proved to be complete bullshit, as was expected. Still didn't watch Zombieland Saga and I need to get around to it still at some point.

Don't think she actually cares about anime or anything and was probably trying to use it as a proxy to attempt to get closer to me, be it due to my job or due to actually giving a fuck, I'm not entirely sure. For a while I was convinced that if she at least cared enough to sit through dumb ecchi anime with me then she might not be so bad anymore. She got a register job at a gas station for a bit too. Then she quit that and got with some other guy and is currently driving a Hummer out of his wallet, so nothing's changed, we haven't been watching anything together since, and she can go fuck herself.

Especially for liking DxD and Monmusu more than TLR. No mother of mine would ever hold such an opinion.
ManabanJul 20, 2019 8:04 PM

Jul 20, 2019 8:00 PM

Sep 2018
Kimi no na wa, 4 or 5 episodes of Violet Evergarden and No Game No Life Zero

Sorry, english isn't my first language.
Jul 20, 2019 8:08 PM

Jul 2019
Watched the first episode of Cowboy Bebop with my mom, she told me this kinda show was aimed for kids and never talked about it again. I feel kinda mad cuz she says she tries to interest herself in the stuff I watch but actually just does it on a superficial level. Some ppl out there have a cool mum.
Jul 20, 2019 8:16 PM

Jan 2018
I started by showing my moms some Ghibli films and she really loved them. We watched a few series over time, and now iyashikei's her favorite genre and she watches them fairly often. She just really enjoys the relaxing and atmosphere stuff. And just like me, Aria's her favorite of all time. Like mother, like son I guess lmao

Oh, and she really liked Steins;Gate as well. She watches a lot of thriller series/movies, so it was kind of up her alley in that regard.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jul 20, 2019 8:43 PM
Dec 2018
I just watched some episodes of ramdom animes with My Mom:

Rokka No Yuusha (2 eps)
Konosuba (2 eps)
Yamada-kun to Nananin no Majo (1 ep)
Re:zero (3 eps)
Orange (3 eps)
Youjo Senki (2 eps)
Demi-chan wa kataritai (4 eps)
Mmo-Junkie (1 ep)
Jul 20, 2019 9:42 PM
Feb 2019
Back in the 90's when I was like 8, The End of Evangelion had just come out.
My mother, my sister, and I were at some mall and we had some time to kill.
Mother was like "Hey, looks like they're showing this cartoon. You guys wanna watch?"

By the way, this was in Korea, so yes, they were showing EoE in a lot of theaters at the time.

Obviously, none of us had any idea about EoE or NGE in general.
Thankfully, we thought of something else to do to kill time. I don't remember what.

Almost 2 decades later, I finally got into NGE and watched EoE as a college student.

Boy was I glad I didn't end up watching that with Mother and my sister.
Jul 21, 2019 3:47 AM

Jul 2011
We only ever watched anime with our mom. She's especially fond of the Ghibli movies and old anime like Heidi or Akage no Anne for example. I actually can list more than that it'd take too long. My father never showed any interest tho.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

226 by Jackson1333 »»
2 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

68 by ToG25thBaam »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

37 by xqXpx »»
4 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

29 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

20 by MandarBloodeagle »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.