Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 4, 2019 10:10 AM

Jan 2019
When did Dororo turn from "He" to "She"? LUL That was unexpected for me
Mar 4, 2019 10:31 AM
Nov 2017
Too bad I was spoiled for Dororo being a girl :( and it's quite funny how traitors all have the same face
Mar 4, 2019 10:48 AM

Sep 2014
Characters in this anime are perceptive af.
Mar 4, 2019 10:55 AM
Jan 2018
So is Uchiha Itachi’s character somewhat based on this one? Because it’s only the first time I’ve ever heard another anime character called Itachi and what a coincidence, this one also betrays his clan lol.
Mar 4, 2019 11:16 AM
May 2014
OGAnime said:
So is Uchiha Itachi’s character somewhat based on this one? Because it’s only the first time I’ve ever heard another anime character called Itachi and what a coincidence, this one also betrays his clan lol.

I had the exact same thought
Mar 4, 2019 11:24 AM

Mar 2017
I am not a huge fan of lengthy flashbacks, but this one was quite alright. Touching and interesting, revealing important information. I don't know how things went in the manga either, but I don't mind if things progress differently, because overall it's still a good show. Dororo being a girl legit surprised me, I don't know how that will change things from now on though. Looking forward to see more!
Mar 4, 2019 11:34 AM

Jul 2014
Another interesting episode with plenty of fascinating revelations, most notably that Dororo is a girl: obviously, she's hiding that to help herself survive, but it puts her conservations with Mio a few episodes ago in a new light as well. And now we know that the father knows Hyakkimaru survived, so it's going to be interesting to see what effect that has on things going forward.

As for the flashback, it was good to finally establish Dororo's full backstory, even if a lot of it has been hinted at before. Also, I thought it before with that samurai who wanted to "test his katana" on some random passerby, but feudal Japan was one hell of a bleak place, wasn't it (good use of the colour scheme in the flashbacks to convey that, too)?
Mar 4, 2019 11:35 AM

Aug 2014
Dororo's dad was badass

All Mights's va fit really well
Mar 4, 2019 11:37 AM

Mar 2016
I fucking hate that bastard Itachi.

Also, Dororo is that close to Hyakkimaru because she doesn't want to be left alone again like when she lost her parents back then. Very commendable that she's still able to keep such an upbeat personality despite what she went through.
Mar 4, 2019 11:37 AM
Sep 2017
Lynfield said:
This episode was heartbreaking, poor Dororo. But i wonder why did she lie about her gender.. To revenge on behalf of her parents as a samurai?

Could be a bunch of things

- For practical reasons, as it's safer to travel as a boy
- Grew up without much emphasis on femininity
- Trans boy
- "You never asked"
Mar 4, 2019 11:41 AM

Oct 2017
I find it funny how there are still people who didn't know that Dororo was a girl, lol.
I guessed this right from the start, spoilers and this episode only confirmed it.

Anyways, her parents looked pretty good. The dad reminded me of an old arcade game i used to play :P
Mar 4, 2019 11:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The scene where Dororo's mother takes the scalding hot stew in her hands to feed it to her daughter was incredibly powerful. Feudal Japan really fits Hobbe's description of life being "nasty, brutish and short"

We got a little short scene there with the dad and the younger brother. I bet the latter is going to be a problem sooner rather than later.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 4, 2019 11:51 AM

Jul 2015
This anime won't stop breaking my heart, won't it? Great backstory episode, Dororo's parents were really strong people.
Mar 4, 2019 11:52 AM

Mar 2015
nightcrawlercyp said:
lona_catee said:
I knew he was a traitor! also cute dororo now hopefully no one will scream in my face that it is a spoiler to call her a she!
Normally the reveal with be much later. They hurried things a lot a made quite a mess
You should slow down on the comparisons, since episode one they reduced the demons to 12 from 48, not like the original work had any definite ending. I see they are doing a good job giving a remake to a classic that almost no one picked to read because it was too old. They are keeping the main aspect of the story intact and altering it to fit what the fan bases want in this day and age.
Mar 4, 2019 12:06 PM

Jul 2017
papachulu said:
Dororo is a girl? In before usagi drop fetish.

Hyakkimaru and Dororo are only a couple of years apart, and their relationship is not a father/daughter one or even a brother/sister one. Not that I think that anything romantic will happen between them, but I do remember at least one adaptation heavily implied a romance and gave them a happy ending together after a timeskip where Dororo is 18 years old. But this show is already going on a very different path so I don't expect anything similar to happen with this anime.

As for the people asking why she pretended to be a boy, it's because it's safer to travel alone that way especially in this setting. Simple as that.
Mar 4, 2019 12:08 PM

Nov 2017
And we finally got Dororo's backstory!
It was a very good one, to be honest one of the better backstories out there! Also when the nun said that Dororo is a girl I had to rewatch the scene and I even watched the scene on another site because I thought the translations might have been wrong. But after thinking about it for a while it actually makes sense.
Really looking forward to next episodes!

Mar 4, 2019 12:38 PM
Apr 2016
Hozene said:
When did Dororo turn from "He" to "She"? LUL That was unexpected for me

No surprises. No one before knew, that Dororo was a girl. The priestess undressed her to tend to the fever.
I kind of liked the backstory, every one got what was coming for them. Brigands kept on raiding samurais even when it was meaningless, and they got what was coming for them. The past caught up with the boss, and only one guy seems to have walked unharmed - Itachi (who is not by any coincidence named after another tragic hero). Itachi just had to screw the bandits over to make sure at least Dororo survives... though it might not look like it. I sure hope we get to hear more about him.
Re:formed
Mar 4, 2019 12:49 PM

Oct 2012
Great episode. Glad to get Dororo's past. She's a strong girl. I would have really enjoyed the surprise reveal about her sex if someone, once again a commenter proving how superior they are for having read the manga, wouldn't have spoiled it during the discussion of one of the early episodes.
Mar 4, 2019 12:55 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm, this time the original had darker backstory especially the ending and had more of it. Anyway at least glad they included this important part of development of Dororo. Regardless, this was okay episode except one thing really surprised me in a good way.
removed-userMar 4, 2019 1:02 PM
Mar 4, 2019 1:01 PM

Feb 2015
Kinda got the hint Dororo was a girl. This episode was very bleak but the sorry is so compelling. It's shaping up to be a modern classic.

No complaints with the animation either
Mar 4, 2019 1:03 PM

Feb 2018
This was a very emotional episode. I'm glad we got to look at Dororo's past and what happened to her parents.

Hyakkimaru is trying to speak more! Now he also said body and hot. I wonder if he'll be able to form full sentences after a while. His voice suits him.

Dororo's father was a badass and her mother was very loving and kind. It was tragic that she had to see both of her parents die right in front of her, and what they had to go through just to get food.
It broke my heart when Dororo's mother used her hands to hold the hot soup so Dororo could eat. The things a mother will do to save her child.. not going to lie that made me cry a bit.

This episode made me like Dororo a lot more, and they finally confirmed that she's a girl! Albeit in kind of a sudden way, but I kind of suspected she is a girl anyway, just pretending to be a boy probably because it's safer that way.

I wonder what Hyakkimaru was thinking at the end there? Maybe he was surprised to find out that Dororo is a girl, and doesn't know what to think. I hope we find out soon.
Also, it seems like Hyakkimaru's father knows he's still alive now, but I expect the brother to be more of a problem.
Mar 4, 2019 1:38 PM

Jun 2015
The causes of Dororo's parents' death were slight different from old adaptation, as well as the Dororo's past was simplified. And it took the entire series to be revealed that Dororo was a girl.
Mar 4, 2019 2:06 PM

Sep 2011
miguitronik said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
They changed Dororo's story so much. She was much smaller when Itachi betrayed them. Also her mother died in the snow in a blizzard while holding Dororo in her arms and protecting her from the cold. Also it was not the samurai giving the food but monks.

I'd say that in the context of this story none of those changes aren't detrimental at all. Maybe the fact that the story was condensed into one episode might have made the pacing a bit worse, but not these changes. In fact they might have made it better.

The context that the mother died protecting Dororo, in this case from hunger is still there, and having a confontation with the samurai and Itachi in the temple made for a good explanation of Dororo's "wit makes right" approach to things.

Remember, kids: Changes to the source material don't necessarily equal a worse adaptation.
Just to add onto this, I think the change from a blizzard to that of her starving to death was far more brutal and impactful because of that, this wasn't just some harsh weather that kills Dororo's mother, this was her sacrificing literally all potential nutrients and care for her body for god knows how long just to protect her.

Not to say like, defending someone during a single event is somehow a lesser sacrifice, but the thought that Dororo's mother was knowingly giving up everything over the course of multiple days is just way more heartbreaking.

Piromysl said:
Damn. Feudal Japan was a really nasty place.
Thats what happens when you are an isolationist shithole caught up in a plethora of constant wars with yourself in addition to the amount of lawless vagabonds everywhere. Its kind of just glorified in media like how America glorifies the old west, when in reality it was fucking awful for all involved.
JizzyHitlerMar 4, 2019 2:11 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 4, 2019 2:09 PM

Dec 2015
uninstallthegame said:
ah, some backstory to Dororo. ngl, either historical shows are not my type or i just can't connect with Dororo. so far it feels pretty average to me
also, i thought Dororo was a girl right from the start. guess i kinda ruined some twist on this one as well?

lol, now i know that

FINALLY I'VE FOUND SOMEONE ELSE ALSO THOUGHT OF THAT!!! My thoughts also immediately wandered back to SBR! And that character's mother. Personally I thought Araki's rendition felt more impactful and graceful
Mar 4, 2019 2:34 PM

Feb 2014
Every life comes to an end, whether they be the good or the bad one. Dororo's parents lived on believing in something never to turn away from it. Though it was stubborn and not to the liking of the way the times changed, they lived a honest life believing in their own true self.

Tokoya said:
thelastdefender said:
I have a doubt .. In episode 6 when dororo was talking to mio about her job , she said about her mother "That's how she died" , when they were talking about mio's job??? i didn't get it....
Maybe she just meant that she died on her back on the ground

She meant that Mio's way of surviving even though as a prostitute was admirable and even Dororo's mother not taking such measures as to living an honest life till the end was admirable too even though it bought her end early.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 4, 2019 2:47 PM

Sep 2011
Well, the title of the episode tried to warn me, but the mercilessness portrayed here was still too much. This was another heartwrenching episode, and I doubt it's going to be the last. As expected Dororo's past is no pleasant memory. Her parents were kind and strong, but they were betrayed by a coward who might very well still be alive somewhere.

"The war will end some day, you mustn't lose to it until then." That's what Dororo's mother told her even as she was dying... The lengths she went for her child, allowing her hands to be burned like that for a bit of soup. It hurts. Hyakkimaru did his best to talk when he noticed that Dororo wasn't fine, but he is still a guy of few words, I do wonder if he even cares about it and/or understands the difference between boys and girls for Dororo's secret to matter to him. I also don't like how his "father" is closing on him, but I'm sure that his soul is going to be very red.
Mar 4, 2019 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
The propaganda in this episode really is forced, cringy, and moralistic.
Mar 4, 2019 2:56 PM
Feb 2019
The past story delivered very well, I almost in tears while watching how kind dororo's parents is.
Mar 4, 2019 3:16 PM

Mar 2016
Didn't Dororo mentioned that her mom was raped? Not that i wanted to see that scene in flashback but looks like it didnt happen

Mar 4, 2019 3:18 PM

Jan 2016
Escaethorne said:
gonna cry about it?
Mar 4, 2019 3:19 PM
Oct 2017
Another good episode! Dororo’s hidden gender kind of reminds me of Arya Stark from Game of Thrones during the war of the 5 kings.
Mar 4, 2019 3:34 PM

Jul 2015
How can Hyakkimaru even understand the language when he lived his entire life without sound?

Mar 4, 2019 3:44 PM

Apr 2016
Honestly I'm just disappointed that they cut out the part about Dororo's mom being a ninja
Mar 4, 2019 4:21 PM

Apr 2015
Dororo's past was difficult, losing both parents like that is no joke :( Her parents did everything to keep her safe, fed and healthy but payed with their own lives in the end.

Hyakkimaru is slowly using more and more words!
Mar 4, 2019 4:28 PM

Sep 2014
Great episode but terrible to watch. Dororo really has a sad backstory. His, or rather her mother was also very beautifull and strong. Dororo really manages to portray the terrors of that time quite well.

Also Dororo is confirmed to be a girl now.

This might turn out to be my AOTS, despite Mob being amazing so far as well.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 4, 2019 4:30 PM

Sep 2011
MitchellMi said:
How can Hyakkimaru even understand the language when he lived his entire life without sound?
its magic I aint got to explain shit

Though to be fair, they do seem to be portraying it that he doesnt actually fully understand everything yet and just slowly learning hence why his speech is so broken and brief.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 4, 2019 4:36 PM
Feb 2016
Damn, I really felt for Dororo when his parents died. They didn't deserve the pain they were going through, man fuck that traitor.

Fucking feels man jesus
Mar 4, 2019 4:37 PM
Feb 2016
Ayon said:
Didn't Dororo mentioned that her mom was raped? Not that i wanted to see that scene in flashback but looks like it didnt happen

I'm pretty sure she said she never did that type of work, that and she wasn't raped
Mar 4, 2019 4:45 PM

Oct 2010
They made it a bit too obvious she was a girl this entire time (mainly the choice of seiyuu) but execution wasn't bad. Really tragic past. Smart of her to pretend to be a boy in that era.
Mar 4, 2019 5:16 PM
Dec 2015
Ryuseishun said:
I fucking hate that bastard Itachi.

Also, Dororo is that close to Hyakkimaru because she doesn't want to be left alone again like when she lost her parents back then. Very commendable that she's still able to keep such an upbeat personality despite what she went through.

Just as griffith, Itachi did nothing wrong.
He may sell his leader out but it's for the best of the band. If they just wandering aimlessly, brutally killing every samurai they meet, someday their band will be attacked by a joined forces of samurai and then destroyed. Not only that, if the reason of the band created for is because of war, then the best thing to do is joined the samurai to end the war itself. Itachi himself isn't brutally raped dororo's mother after incapacitating his boss, even letting them alive, together as family. I'm sure Itachi begged really hard for the samurai not to kill them showed by the samurai is still letting them alive despite how much they hate them.
Mar 4, 2019 5:42 PM

Nov 2008
I'm surprised so many people didn't see that Dororo was a girl. Then again, I'm a lolicon, so maybe I just have a better eye for this type of thing.
Mar 4, 2019 6:41 PM
Jun 2017
dororo is a REVERSE TRAP!!!!

Anyways nice to see the past of dororo... its just a sad one to see how her parents have died...
Mar 4, 2019 6:53 PM
Aug 2017
I shocked when I knew that Dororo is girl 😖
Mar 4, 2019 6:57 PM
Feb 2019
A tragic backstory and a gender reveal, i'd call it a decent episode. Maybe Hyakkimaru meets his bro is the next one?
Mar 4, 2019 6:59 PM
Jul 2018
I gotta say, what Dororo's mother did was completely idiotic. Why would she immobilize herself just so that Dororo can have a couple sips of soup? I figure staying strong so that you can support your child would be a priority, but I guess not.
Mar 4, 2019 7:29 PM

Jan 2019
Escaethorne said:

Care to elaborate?

DaddyKiwi said:
I gotta say, what Dororo's mother did was completely idiotic. Why would she immobilize herself just so that Dororo can have a couple sips of soup? I figure staying strong so that you can support your child would be a priority, but I guess not.

I stg the total lack of empathy on MAL is incredible. I would've thought it's blatantly obvious how absolutely dire the situation in a war torn feudal Japan is. They obviously have gone for awhile without any food, and this scene showed how she put Dororo before herself, regardless of her own hunger and pain. She already likely knew she'd die, but she still did everything in her power (even if that meant scalding her hands so Dororo could eat and live for another day) to care for Dororo before that happened.
Mar 4, 2019 8:06 PM

Nov 2017
Dang this episode was such a emotional roller coaster, I was like crying when I found out about Dororo's parents and then the nun was crying and then I laughed cried calling Dororo a little girl for having such a tear jerking story and the dororo freaked out about his/her gender and I WAS LIKE WTF SO HE'S ACTUALLY A GIRL
Mar 4, 2019 10:13 PM

May 2018
I've never watched the original anime, so i can't discuss about it.

But this episode was very touching. Hyakkimaru trying to get somebody to help Dororo, loved it when he started talking. Dororo's parents had sad end. I must have been horrible for a young child to lose both parents. I'm glad Dororo is with Hyakkimaru and he will not her behind <3
Mar 4, 2019 10:16 PM

Sep 2007
WOW. The fact she's a ....well....she surprised me in a "whaaaaaaaat" kind of way.
But now the OP and ED will no longer bug me (it had bugged me to no end that Dororo looked so feminine in OP and ED yet acted like a boy in the show that it put me in denial of what the OP/ED animations was making obvious.)

Dang...I'm looking forward to how Hyakki may (or may not) change [in terms of acting] towards Dororo now that he knows...
Man...and I also couldn't help but go "d'awww" when he was carrying/worrying about Dororo and almost said a whole sentence!
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Mar 4, 2019 11:05 PM

May 2018
So dororo is a girl after all :D
I liked this episode...we got to know more about dororo :)

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Dororo a boy or a girl ? ( 1 2 )

JanPri - Jan 15, 2019

80 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:39 AM

» Possible reason for such ending

Raajdeep - Oct 21, 2023

24 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

442 by Flomik »»
Mar 25, 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.