Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 4, 2019 5:42 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ooh more of the past revealed.

I see this episode touches more on the subject of the Dororo's parents. How interesting. Quite an important episode too with a bit of emotional value. I also find it clever how they used the white and black coloring for the visual backgrounds.
Stark700Mar 4, 2019 6:53 AM
Mar 4, 2019 5:50 AM

Mar 2015
I knew he was a traitor! also cute dororo now hopefully no one will scream in my face that it is a spoiler to call her a she!
Mar 4, 2019 6:30 AM
Aug 2018
I can't believe Dororo is a "she!" This gives a different perspective to when Dororo caught Mio doing her work.
ErabelMar 4, 2019 6:38 AM
Mar 4, 2019 6:30 AM

Apr 2016
Two previous episodes felt like fillers, but this one ... damn.

Now we know everything about Dororo's past and her parents, and how they died.

War surely is a cunt.
Mar 4, 2019 6:32 AM

Aug 2012
They changed Dororo's story so much. She was much smaller when Itachi betrayed them. Also her mother died in the snow in a blizzard while holding Dororo in her arms and protecting her from the cold. Also it was not the samurai giving the food but monks.
Mar 4, 2019 6:33 AM

Aug 2012
lona_catee said:
I knew he was a traitor! also cute dororo now hopefully no one will scream in my face that it is a spoiler to call her a she!
Normally the reveal with be much later. They hurried things a lot a made quite a mess
Mar 4, 2019 6:42 AM
Oct 2018
I didn't read the manga so I can't say anything about what they changed, but it was a quite emotional episode which really got me when Dororo's mother died. And I was really surprised as they revealed that Dororo is a girl!
Mar 4, 2019 6:52 AM

Jan 2013
This episode was heartbreaking, poor Dororo. But i wonder why did she lie about her gender.. To revenge on behalf of her parents as a samurai?
Mar 4, 2019 7:14 AM

Jan 2019
I thought this episode was great story-wise, but especially visually - I love the use of colour in the animation.

Lynfield said:
This episode was heartbreaking, poor Dororo. But i wonder why did she lie about her gender.. To revenge on behalf of her parents as a samurai?

From the way women are often treated in war scenarios (rape/resorting to sex work), I wouldn't be surprised if Dororo chose to pose as a boy as a self defense mechanism.

She also seemed to admire her dad's fighting prowess, and considering she's been on her own on the streets I wouldn't be surprised if she decided that being a man is easier to survive.
Mar 4, 2019 7:15 AM

Nov 2016
This series always manages to hit me in dem feels :(

Lynfield said:

It's safer to travel as a boy.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 4, 2019 7:18 AM
Jun 2016
FMmatron said:

Lynfield said:

Did you get that from game of thrones? :P
Mar 4, 2019 7:21 AM

Nov 2016
animehater98 said:
FMmatron said:

Did you get that from game of thrones? :P

I had that scene in mind xD but it's pretty common in fiction and there are also some historical records of girls who did so.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 4, 2019 7:26 AM

Dec 2014
Damn, that was such a sad episode. I felt really bad for Dororo. Her Mom's death really got me. :(
Mar 4, 2019 7:30 AM
Jan 2019
It was very clever of Dororo to pretend to be a boy in order to survive and get by. I thought this episode could have been done better, and it wasn't as impactful as I thought it was going to be, but I still liked it.
Mar 4, 2019 7:55 AM

Mar 2018
I found it pretty impactful that(before the backstory stuff played) Dororo was so worried about being abandoned and left behind. It really struck a chord with me.
Mar 4, 2019 7:55 AM

Jan 2013

I thought the same thing at the first but after all she's just a kid, idk. But you must be right, samurai thing doesnt seem logical :p
Mar 4, 2019 8:02 AM

Jan 2018
Such an amazing episode, this was one emotional episode and it broke my heart seeing Dororo’s past and the way that her parents died! and I was in shock finding out that Dororo is a girl!!

Mar 4, 2019 8:04 AM
Sep 2017
Lynfield said:

Its given in the character description of dororo why she is acting like a boy
Mar 4, 2019 8:06 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
So Dororo is a girl....Interesting lol

But I really enjoyed seeing her backstory (Man its so freaking weird to say her since I was so accustomed to her being a boy) and getting to meet her parents whom were both certified badasses in my book

I saw Itachi's betrayal coming a mile away, but I'm glad that it didn't go full cliche and had him kill them or rape the mother or something like that (Still, I don't appreciate this man having the same name as my favorite anime character of all time, Itachi Uchiha)

Dec 2008
Man this was so much better in the manga.
I just... didn't really like how they handled the flashback. But decent episode nonetheless. It kept the main message.
What's interesting is that the reveal near the end was more dignified than in the original where Dororo is a bit fetishized; not that I particularly mind even as a girl myself, tbh I loved it, but I guess Dororo did deserve better than what Tezuka did. I kept feeling kinda sorry for Dororo whenever her identity was brought up in some surprisingly sexually charged situation. And I mean 'surprisingly' as in, "Hey I didn't know Tezuka was into lolis and bokukko (oirakko?)! He really did invent anime as we know it." xD
I'm guessing they're trying to keep the strange sexual tension in the original at a minimum but without killing Hyakkimaru and Dororo's relationship in the progress. As a result, it's very different from the manga, mostly because anime!Hyakkimaru's personality is almost the complete opposite of his original counterpart, but because of that his bond with Dororo feels more 'pure', or ar least it does so far. I'm a sucker for deep platonic relationships so I can't really complain about this...
Sep 2017
I have a doubt .. In episode 6 when dororo was talking to mio about her job , she said about her mother "That's how she died" , when they were talking about mio's job??? i didn't get it....
Mar 4, 2019 8:09 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
thelastdefender said:
I have a doubt .. In episode 6 when dororo was talking to mio about her job , she said about her mother "That's how she died" , when they were talking about mio's job??? i didn't get it....
Maybe she just meant that she died on her back on the ground
Mar 4, 2019 8:12 AM
Sep 2017
Tokoya said:
thelastdefender said:

i got it what she meant ..... after rewatching that part of the episode.....

iam_ayzeMar 4, 2019 8:16 AM
Mar 4, 2019 8:13 AM

Jan 2013
thelastdefender said:
Lynfield said:

Thank you. Even if she's just a kid, she knows the world, it makes sense.
Mar 4, 2019 8:14 AM
Sep 2017
Lynfield said:
thelastdefender said:

this anime is right now my favorite of all time...
the story , the character , the art ...love it
Mar 4, 2019 8:17 AM

Sep 2017
nightcrawlercyp said:
They changed Dororo's story so much. She was much smaller when Itachi betrayed them. Also her mother died in the snow in a blizzard while holding Dororo in her arms and protecting her from the cold. Also it was not the samurai giving the food but monks.

I'd say that in the context of this story none of those changes aren't detrimental at all. Maybe the fact that the story was condensed into one episode might have made the pacing a bit worse, but not these changes. In fact they might have made it better.

The context that the mother died protecting Dororo, in this case from hunger is still there, and having a confontation with the samurai and Itachi in the temple made for a good explanation of Dororo's "wit makes right" approach to things.

Remember, kids: Changes to the source material don't necessarily equal a worse adaptation.
Mar 4, 2019 8:17 AM

Mar 2016
Dororo was female this whole time. The only hint we had was the gender of his seiyuu, but that wasn't enough. Both male and female look and sound the same before puberty, so I never second guessed his gender.

Who names a girl Dororo?

Dororo had a dark past. That explains why she was so mature for her age.

Hyakki's dad and brother learnt about him. Looks like the brother will cause more problems than the dad.

I hope the traitor who joined the samurais will get killed while he is trying to redeem himself.

I love the way Dororo and her family speak.
Mar 4, 2019 8:18 AM

Mar 2018
Tokoya said:
thelastdefender said:

Could also mean that their death was the result of the war..? And that Mio should be careful around soldiers? Something like that maybe..
Mar 4, 2019 8:19 AM
Oct 2017
thelastdefender said:

They meant the she died of hunger because she refused to become a prostitute which she easily could have done to feed dororo but she didn’t because of her principles.

Jan 2013
thelastdefender said:
Lynfield said:

this anime is right now my favorite of all time...
the story , the character , the art ...love it

Yeah, agreed. Its definitely good, quite deep also.
LynfieldOct 30, 2019 12:18 PM
Sep 2017
FuMomo-kun said:
Dororo was female this whole time. The only hint we had was the gender of his seiyuu, but that wasn't enough. Both male and female look and sound the same before puberty, so I never second guessed his gender.

Who names a girl Dororo?

Dororo had a dark past. That explains why she was so mature for her age.

Hyakki's dad and brother learnt about him. Looks like the brother will cause more problems than the dad.

I hope the traitor who joined the samurais will get killed while he is trying to redeem himself.

I love the way Dororo and her family speak.

never thought i will say this but
I F**in Hate that Itachi(not sasuke's brother btw) ..
Mar 4, 2019 8:25 AM

Mar 2017
My heart broke seeing Dororo's past... but Hyakkimaru's voice fixed it again haha Seriously though her past was even sadder than i thought it would be because she had to watch her mother starve to death in order to keep her alive 😭 Also I was soooo sure that Dororo was a boy! I can't believe she's actually a girl!
Mar 4, 2019 8:40 AM

Aug 2012
BlueMist13 said:
Tokoya said:

Could also mean that their death was the result of the war..? And that Mio should be careful around soldiers? Something like that maybe..
If I remember correctly Dororo said her mother would do any type of job to provide for her baby except being a prostitute. I think this was the context.
Mar 4, 2019 8:42 AM

Aug 2012
miguitronik said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

I'd say that in the context of this story none of those changes aren't detrimental at all. Maybe the fact that the story was condensed into one episode might have made the pacing a bit worse, but not these changes. In fact they might have made it better.

The context that the mother died protecting Dororo, in this case from hunger is still there, and having a confontation with the samurai and Itachi in the temple made for a good explanation of Dororo's "wit makes right" approach to things.

Remember, kids: Changes to the source material don't necessarily equal a worse adaptation.
Here is what I did not like:
1. It increases the importance of Itachi
2. makes the samurai not so bad when in fact the original material was completely against the samurai
3. The death scene is much more emotional in the original.

You can agree with me or not, is just my opinion
Mar 4, 2019 8:46 AM
Dec 2018
I can't stop whisper "poor Dororo baby..." while watching :"(
She is scared if Hyakkimaru will leave her alone, but she know Hyakki is there for her
As a child, Dororo had see too much
The war, the traitor, corpses, I also can't stand when saw her seeing a cannibalism
She's already saw the world, not strange if she so mature...
So, she and her mother still can eat fruits in summer and Autumn, but after winter, they already too starve
Her mother use her hand as a bowl even for a hot soup, only giving to Dororo :"(
Now I'm glad Dororo have Aniki... Hyakki please protect her

raccoon-child said:

I'm guessing they're trying to keep the strange sexual tension in the original at a minimum but without killing Hyakkimaru and Dororo's relationship in the progress. As a result, it's very different from the manga, mostly because anime!Hyakkimaru's personality is almost the complete opposite of his original counterpart, but because of that his bond with Dororo feels more 'pure', or ar least it does so far. I'm a sucker for deep platonic relationships so I can't really complain about this...

I also prefer their bond here than in manga
Mar 4, 2019 9:01 AM
Jan 2019
I laughed at first when the nun called Dororo a girl I thought she was mistaken but when Dororo said that her clothes when taken off, my mind was blown. 😮🤯.Dororo was a girl all along.
Mar 4, 2019 9:02 AM

Feb 2019
Im glad we finally get to see Dororos past .Hyakkimaru is finally talks for real..they are so cute together he didint realy seem shock to me.. Poor Dororo ..I knew she had a saddening past but even tho I knew it made sad anyway oh that son of abitch Itachi I bet we will see him soon I think he is working for Hyakkimarus dad (best dad of season) I wonder how will siblings meet what will happen between Hyakkimaru and his lil bro another great episode .. I hope it just gets better
Mar 4, 2019 9:05 AM

Apr 2017
oh man, dororo's past really had me tearing up. when hyakkimaru finally said something, oh god i almost screamed. i love these two so much.
Mar 4, 2019 9:06 AM

Feb 2019
Lynfield said:
She is lying to safe travel ..to protect herself from man clever girl
Mar 4, 2019 9:06 AM
Jan 2019
Dororo took the concept of reverse trap to a whole other level. LOL
Mar 4, 2019 9:13 AM
Apr 2016
So, it's finally out, Dororo is a girl! Sad episode, really cruel, the mother picking hot soup with raw hands...
Mar 4, 2019 9:20 AM

Aug 2018
Ojiya was a great mother.
Mar 4, 2019 9:22 AM
Jan 2019
First.. animation is as shitty as it never was before.. really afraid this is going downhill.. or its just because they extended it to 24 episodes that they need to save money
Dororo past could have been much mooooooore deep and touching with a better animation.. but meh.. we got the message..
Voice acting is " strangely" out of place sometimes this episode..
I rly wonder wtf is going on
About the story! Didnt dororo said to mio when she talked about " rape" nd " sex job" : " thats how she died".. doesnt that mean she simply died raped? Her mom i mean...
As for dororo being a girl... wow.. it came very strange and not prepared for.. kinda out of place.. couldve been better with foreshadowing...
Mar 4, 2019 9:23 AM

Jul 2017
It's weird, I don't usually enjoy these slow-paced atmospheric episodic shows but this feels much different. Now that the lord's getting wind of Hyakki's presence, things seem like they're gonna start picking up.
Mar 4, 2019 9:46 AM
Sep 2015
Not read the manga but from what I read this seem like an upgrade adaptation
1. Dororo is older in the flashback here so that she can remember and told her past, if she's very small like in manga she's not gonna remember anything
2. Increase the importance of Itachi is also good choice, I can see why Dororo look up to his word to survive, gotta be smart to survive.
3. Make samurai less evil is okay to me, there's good and evil in every occupation so this seem more realistic. It also render the action of Dororo's dad that he's not absolutely right to fight Samurai.
4. Dororo's mother not dying like in manga is a downgrade, even though it seem more realistic as the overall setting seem like in a hot zone with no snow.

But the most satisfying thing is that Dororo's dad is very hot, and I kinda ship him with Itachi. Both men sparring each other life is romantic enough in this kind of anime. Wondering if Hyakkimaru and his brother Tahoumaru will do the same.
Mar 4, 2019 9:52 AM

Jul 2015
Damn. Feudal Japan was a really nasty place.

Mar 4, 2019 9:56 AM

Dec 2017
ah, some backstory to Dororo. ngl, either historical shows are not my type or i just can't connect with Dororo. so far it feels pretty average to me
also, i thought Dororo was a girl right from the start. guess i kinda ruined some twist on this one as well?

lol, now i know that

uninstallthegameMar 4, 2019 10:02 AM
Mar 4, 2019 9:59 AM

Apr 2014
And of course, Itachi has to betray his clan...

All jokes aside, this was quite a powerful episode. Really loved the backstory of Dororo and to find out that she is a girl.
Mar 4, 2019 10:02 AM

Aug 2014
Piromysl said:
Damn. Feudal Japan was a really nasty place.

It was literally an age where you could meet a samurai crossing the street who wants to "test" his new katana with you xD.
Mar 4, 2019 10:06 AM
Jan 2019
TolkienFan365 said:
Akahiro said:
First.. animation is as shitty as it never was before.. really afraid this is going downhill.. or its just because they extended it to 24 episodes that they need to save money
Dororo past could have been much mooooooore deep and touching with a better animation.. but meh.. we got the message..
Voice acting is " strangely" out of place sometimes this episode..
I rly wonder wtf is going on
About the story! Didnt dororo said to mio when she talked about " rape" nd " sex job" : " thats how she died".. doesnt that mean she simply died raped? Her mom i mean...
As for dororo being a girl... wow.. it came very strange and not prepared for.. kinda out of place.. couldve been better with foreshadowing...

What are you even saying??? No go back into the story her mother refused to go into sex work to feed themselves. It's implied she died slowly from weakness, malnutrition, sickness etc.

Also the animation here has been fine sure its not as top tier as say episode 6 or 1 but that is typical for anime or really any animated production you save time for the more important plot points this is a backstory episode with comparable animation to episode 3. This week had better animation than last in my opinion.

I didnt say her mother accepted sex work
But am saying she died " raped"
See episode 6 when dororo talks to mio about her job and says " thats how she died"
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Dororo a boy or a girl ? ( 1 2 )

JanPri - Jan 15, 2019

80 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:39 AM

» Possible reason for such ending

Raajdeep - Oct 21, 2023

24 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

442 by Flomik »»
Mar 25, 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.