Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 17, 2018 9:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Really glad to see Titania and Oberon this episode. It's been awhile.

I don't admire Cartaphilus much in this show but it's nice to get an insight on his character even if it's this late in the season. The fact that Chise saw his past is definitely bothering him considering what he's been through.

A very intense and emotional episode. Elias came right on time :D
Mar 17, 2018 10:48 AM

Sep 2017
so did they adapt chapter 44 or was it original?..
Mar 17, 2018 10:50 AM

Apr 2008
Salamak said:

They did adapt chapter 44. So either the final episode is original or I’m guessing they know where the story goes.
Mar 17, 2018 11:11 AM

Apr 2016
Backstory of Cartaphilus was interesting, and bloody.

Loli Titania and Elias saving Chise in the last moment.

Next week finale.
Mar 17, 2018 11:28 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Very intense episode. It's nice that Titania and Oberon came to help Elias when he in a bad state. We get to finally see how Joseph used to be prior to who he is now and what exactly happened to him back then. Joseph getting mad at Chise for looking at his past was expected to say the least and now after attacking her and everyone else with his experiments his only option is to run away.

The final episode is next week and I assume it's gonna be mostly original. I haven't read the latest chapter so some parts here, mainly towards the end of the episode, were new to me.

I hope whatever the content ends up being for the final episode does the series well and I am very much so looking forward to it.
AntwanMantillaMar 17, 2018 11:43 AM
Mar 17, 2018 11:30 AM

Dec 2014
Good episode.
Glad that Titania and Oberon came to help out Elias when he was completely lost.

Cartaohilus's backstory was pretty brutal. I felt bad for Joseph being ostracized the way he was. The way his desperation to live a better life elsewhere with Cartaphilus and the latter's curse turned them into one being was just sad. There's no excuse for the things he did after the fusion but the cause of the fusion itself was sad

Was Cartaphilus really cursed for throwing a stone? That's one overblown punishment though.

I wonder what Chise plans to do in order to help him out.

Finale next week, will miss this series. :(
Mar 17, 2018 11:34 AM

Nov 2016
Bull transformation caught me off guard.

Cartaphilus had a shitty past,kinda feel pitty for him,Chise about to get him out of his misery.

Exited for the final.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 17, 2018 11:45 AM
Sep 2015
GundamSoul said:
Salamak said:

They did adapt chapter 44. So either the final episode is original or I’m guessing they know where the story goes.

I think the second one, after all the fountain at the end of this episode and the one in the ending are the same: cannot be a coincidence.
Mar 17, 2018 12:14 PM

Feb 2018
I just wanted to ask one question. Is it just me, or does Titania look younger? If she does then can you tell me why?
Mar 17, 2018 12:28 PM

Feb 2017
Bubla-chan said:
I just wanted to ask one question. Is it just me, or does Titania look younger? If she does then can you tell me why?

She said it herself, that's not her actual body but an avatar or like she calls it a branch.
Lelouch0202 said:
Was Cartaphilus really cursed for throwing a stone? That's one overblown punishment though.

Thats the bible in a nutshell.

Really wondering how Chise will kill Joseph/Cartaphilus, also kinda funny how the fae always say Elias is horrifying but even Titania and Oberon when trying to be "helpful" are way scarier.
Mar 17, 2018 12:28 PM
Mar 2015
Joseph needs to separated from Cartiphillius. Their fates should not be tied together Wonder how Chise will save them
Mar 17, 2018 1:00 PM
Sep 2009
I think the biggest question of this episode is: what the FUCK happened to Titania's boobs? :D
Mar 17, 2018 1:20 PM

Jul 2012
Wasn't really impressed by this episode, feels like they're trying to wrap this up quickly. Well that's probably the plan, i wonder then if manga will end next chapter.
For the episode really not surprised that it was people who brought him to the state of despair ...
Mar 17, 2018 2:11 PM

Mar 2015
"They won't all fit in hell!" had me laughing!
The sword that takes life gives life
Mar 17, 2018 2:28 PM

Feb 2016
EvilDragon said:
I think the biggest question of this episode is: what the FUCK happened to Titania's boobs? :D

She said it herself, that's just a branch of hers. She still have her boobs, do not worry
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 17, 2018 2:28 PM

Feb 2016
Damn, all this Cartaphilus/Joseph thing is really dark, he tried to help, but got cursed in the way... Feels bad man
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 17, 2018 3:04 PM

Jun 2017
Woah, Joseph just wanted to help but becoming one with Cartaphilus backfired on him.

We reached the latest chapter of the manga so I am super curious now if they go with an original ending (or simply know the canon one in advance).
Mar 17, 2018 3:06 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.

Cool to see everyone show up in time to save Chise.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 17, 2018 3:10 PM

Sep 2015
Great episode. Joseph's past hit hard, I'm starting to pity him a bit. My guess is Chise will put Jose-phillus out of his misery by giving him the arm curse. It's cool to see the ED and that ghost city at the end of the episode are connected, I wonder what its mystery is.
I'm gonna miss this show, but the wait until next week is killing me!

Also, am I the only one who forgets what happened in the prior week's episode?
Mar 17, 2018 3:24 PM

Apr 2012
Luxeraph said:
Bubla-chan said:

She said it herself, that's not her actual body but an avatar or like she calls it a branch.
Lelouch0202 said:

Thats the bible in a nutshell.
For the record, the Cartaphilus version of the wandering Jew isn't in the bible, it's a medieval legend.
Mar 17, 2018 3:35 PM

Sep 2011
GundamSoul said:
Salamak said:

Considering that it takes months from planning, scripts etc to finaly putting together a full episode its pretty obvious they know where the story is going! The author has been heavily involved in the anime production after all.
Mar 17, 2018 3:38 PM

Jun 2015
The backstory of Cartaphilus was quite interesting, and creepy. Joseph just wanted to help, but got cursed instead, the poor guy. One more episode left.
Mar 17, 2018 3:49 PM
Jul 2016
first time when the manga and anime are at the same point. i really hope this isn't the end of the series
Mar 17, 2018 3:58 PM

Sep 2015
GundamSoul said:
Salamak said:

is chapter 44 is one of the last chapters released for real or just one of the last scanned?
Mar 17, 2018 4:46 PM
Jun 2017
I like this one, it shows how miserable life of Joseph as a normal person even before becoming one with Cartaphilus.

What would Chise do in the final episode? Ohh im so excited about it..
Mar 17, 2018 4:56 PM

Oct 2015
I feel bad about Cartipihilus's past, it was sad for me although he's a baddie. I wish he'd change his ways and live a positive life.

It seems like Chise is still mad at Elias and Ruth, yeah she needs to get over it after all Elias was acting for her in the first place.

It seems like we approaching the last ep and I'm feeling disappointment from the show, maybe it will change. Right now I'm thinking of rating it a 6 from the way it's going.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 17, 2018 6:05 PM

Oct 2013
Such a cliffhanger.
It's almost criminal, I want to see what happens now!!! I won't be able to wait for a week!!!!

______

So, Joseph and Cartaphilus weren't the same guy in the beginning. Joseph fused with him and now they're bearing the curse. Let's see if they can really nullfy each other curses.

For the trivia: Cartaphilus is not a biblical figure, He's from a medieval myth.
Some versions have him taunting Jesus during his final hours, other versions have him throwing a stone at him, or refusing to give him water while Jesus was carrying the cross.

And according to the legends, one the possible names for this figure was the name of "Joseph"
Mar 17, 2018 6:13 PM

Sep 2016
shiro_kai said:
GundamSoul said:

is chapter 44 is one of the last chapters released for real or just one of the last scanned?
The latest chapter for real. the anime has adapted everything, and its a monthly manga.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 17, 2018 8:30 PM

Nov 2015
So we got the backstory of Joseph, and it was pretty dark and bloody. But there is one way i don't understand. The current Joseph doesn't want to be immortal, but the gravedigger Joseph wanted to be immortal?

Katsura janai, Zura da

Mar 17, 2018 9:44 PM

Jan 2014
so I wondering who was that Cartaphilus guy before he merge with Joseph?
Mar 18, 2018 1:45 AM

Feb 2018
I am seriously pissed...

They squeezed in two chapters of the manga into one episode!

Unless the new manga chapter comes out within two 2-3 days....

How the hell are they gonna air the final episode???

Or, are they gonna skip a week, like with DBS and OP???

Either way, I am in love with this series, and highly rooting for a season 2!!!!!!!
Mar 18, 2018 4:44 AM

Sep 2014
So we got some plot. Finally.

Idk after I was initially hyped for this it turned out a bit disappointing. Lets just hope this will get a semi good ending so it was not a complete waste of time
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 18, 2018 6:53 AM

Jul 2016
Wow! So am I the only one who thinks a live action TV adaptation would do this anime justice, because this show has it ALL! Now all we need is Daniel Radcliffe and Tom Felton, and director Guillermo Del Toro!

So we move on from Chise's flashback party and move on to Joseph's and this is the part where it hit me like a Rock Slide launched by an Archeops. Joseph, or in this case, Cartaphilus is...you know what, let's talk about that later. So we find out that Joseph was a misunderstood son of an undertaker, who just so have happened to find a talking dead body right behind his graveyard (What are the ODDS!) He tends to the poor soul, only to find no solutions to the being's poor rotting condition. He eventually merges somehow (Yeah, just roll with it) and he only suffers more. He pulls a Sweeney Todd on a hapless girl and gives Hans Christian Anderson inspiration for his story, the Red Shoes, and becomes a walking chimera and Hodge Podge of human bodies, all in the search for an end. Though he didn't find that solution, he did find out who he was, and he is PISSED! And I guess you can piece together what happened there. Meanwhile, Elias broods and emos the forest until Spriggan (aka Best Husbando) drops in and pins him down, until the Fairy Queen's loli familiars pop in and gives him a hand, right after what I think after she attempted to turn him into a tree (?) Soon, she calls everyone for a search party to find Chise. Meanwhile, our little witch friend gets a surprise visit from Phylius. Apparently, she wasn't supposed to tell Elias what she told them, and so in an effort to make up for it, she meets Chise in a creepy Alleyway (What were the ODDS!) and turns into a bull and charges after Joseph to the ED of the anime.....I'm not kidding, the fountain in the ED is exactly where the episode ends. Not bad, that was very clever of the folks.

This episode was another flashback episode, mostly, and it gave the audience a much needed exposition dump, which I wished it had done much better, like they could've done for Chise's, but what's done been done, and let's move on to the rest of the episode. Sadly, everyone was just second fiddle, only to join Chise near the climax of the episode, and by extension the entire arc. Overall, it was ok. I am looking forward to the next episode though. With a transition like that, I just can't help but wait!

About who Cartaphilus is, he is the Wandering Jew. I didn't know about this because

1. I thought Joseph was just a commonly regular name, and
  2. How was I supposed to know that?!

For those of you who were uninitiated, the Wandering Jew was a bystander who taunted and threw a rock at Jesus Christ when he was crucified, and was doomed to walk on the Earth forever until his Second Coming. OK we know that bit, simple. What you don't know is that his conception as a character has various allusions to other forms of literature. We have the Red Shoes, a girl passes by and loses her FRICKING LEGS IN A BLOODY FASHION, and then there's Cartaphilus himself. Believe it or not, he is not the only one to get the immortal walk of shame from God, there was another, and his name was Cain, the world's first murderer. Unlike Cartaphilus, he was made to walk as a mortal where he eventually lived long enough to build a city and be crushed under the building he built. however, in other forms of literature, he is seen as the origin of ALL evil (Oh no, not the devil, nor the demons, nor Hitler, just Cain) most prominently in Beowulf, where in the epic, he was described as the father of Grendel, and all other demons and monsters that walk the Earth. Similarly, in the anime, he is seen as an obstacle to the cast, and the origin of all things bad that happened to them. The Wandering Jew was also the inspiration behind AZ from Pokemon X and Y (Hence the Archeops reference earlier)
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Mar 18, 2018 7:36 AM

Sep 2010
poor Joseph...he only tried to help

still don't like Elias - Chise deserves someone who doesn't try to kill of her friends out of jealousy and use her as an excuse -_-
saving Chise is so not enough to make up for that

curious about the final episode
Mar 18, 2018 8:03 AM
Apr 2016
A very interesting take. Usually it is mystical and occultic that drives people insane. In this case, however, the human goes insane and in turn affects the occultic. I am interested as to what is going to be saved in the end - Joseph, or the Cartaphilus?
Re:formed
Mar 18, 2018 8:22 AM

Feb 2014
We finally get the background story of Cartaphilus and it was brutal and sad. His life was pretty awful as he was being picked on by the village kids and beaten to a pulp by the drunk bastards. It's no wonder that he lost his mind as he was trying to help the 'Cartaphilus' person to recover.

The montage that followed shows Joseph acquiring more limbs during his adventures, which was gruesome. He might be an awful guy now, but I do have a little bit of sympathy for him though.

As for Elias, seeing him in that state was depressing, so I'm glad that Titania and Oberon came to help him. Her bodyguard went a bit crazy with his own transformation, which was a surprise.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the last episode will play out. This episode might've felt a tad rushed, but it did a great job in setting up the big confrontation between Chise and Joseph on the streets of London.
Mar 18, 2018 8:33 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Another great flashback!!
This time is about the origin of Joseph and Catafilus friendship and how both evolve in one!!!
Mar 18, 2018 9:51 AM
Jan 2016
Ah, why they cut it at the best part when Chise was about to confront Joseph...I guess need to wait one week for it hahaha. I really appreciate Elias action, it looks like he's already learn from his mistake. And yeah, Joseph past is really sad and I can't say anything because the one that want the curse is Joseph and Joseph alone. Cartaphilus never try to posses him.
Mar 18, 2018 10:13 AM

Feb 2014
Does anyone know who Cartaphilus is based on? He kinda seems familiar to a Hindu lore. Correct me if I'm wrong.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 18, 2018 10:43 AM

Aug 2015
Joseph sure bet on the wrong horse there, huh?
Mar 18, 2018 10:51 AM
Jan 2018
Episódio pesado. O passado de cartaphilus, Elias quase completamente acabado por causa da Chise... Quero muito ver o final, mas ao mesmo tempo tenho tristeza porque vai acabar ;-;
Mar 18, 2018 11:06 AM

Jul 2014
Well, at least we finally know what that place shown in the credits is all about now, and other than that this was a solid episode that, outside of the flashbacks, felt a little slow to get to the point, but it was all executed well. While I'm not necessarily happy about Cartaphilus being given a tragic backstory to justify his psychopathy, I am at least able to accept it at this stage, as the show has mostly been good enough to allow stuff like that to pass.
Mar 18, 2018 11:43 AM

Nov 2013
I felt they really screwed up with introducing Marielle. Her character has literally nothing to add to the plotline, and with only one episode left too..
Mar 18, 2018 12:49 PM

Aug 2012
BlossomBurst said:
Great episode. Joseph's past hit hard, I'm starting to pity him a bit. My guess is Chise will put Jose-phillus out of his misery by giving him the arm curse. It's cool to see the ED and that ghost city at the end of the episode are connected, I wonder what its mystery is.
I'm gonna miss this show, but the wait until next week is killing me!

Also, am I the only one who forgets what happened in the prior week's episode?

Yes. Ive been having a very hard time qith this lately... i might start taking notes , lol
Mar 18, 2018 12:53 PM

Nov 2011
My expectations have been granted in a certain sense and the narration went well beyond, even talking about the state of Elias was an excellent opportunity to make the episode more interesting. I wonder if there will be a second season.
Mar 18, 2018 1:45 PM

Sep 2011
dasprn said:
Does anyone know who Cartaphilus is based on? He kinda seems familiar to a Hindu lore. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He is an actual "existing" legend. So pretty much based on himself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew
Mar 18, 2018 2:28 PM

May 2015
Jesus Joseph just did literal "FUSION-HA!". WHAT AN IDIOT.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 18, 2018 6:24 PM

Jun 2017
Did anyone else feel like Joseph became crazy before they even combined? If he stayed nice the entire time I might feel a bit more pity, but this man was slightly insane before they even combined.
Mar 18, 2018 6:24 PM

Feb 2014
RazielZero said:
dasprn said:

He is an actual "existing" legend. So pretty much based on himself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew

Wow thanks
Appreciate it
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 18, 2018 6:45 PM

May 2017
I thought Chise had a titan transformation when Titania swoop in there looks so cool lmao
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.