Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 13, 2018 5:08 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I must say, this episode felt real with the team doing their field work. I mean, the temperature is cold as hell there but they are adapting.

It's also nice that they discovered some water on the surface there, definitely not someting you'd fully expect from the start. I'm really glad these girls are learning a lot and also having fun while doing so. It's an experience I'm sure they won't forget. Holy shit Shirase. Also nice to see a bit more of Hinata's past. This show really knows how to get people invested in its character cast.
Stark700Mar 13, 2018 9:32 AM
Mar 13, 2018 6:04 AM

Apr 2016
Focus on Hinata and her "friends" was intense to watch.

Also did i just read "that" wrong ? or the subs translated it wrong ? ...
SwagernatorMar 13, 2018 6:15 AM
Mar 13, 2018 6:08 AM

Apr 2013
A great episode as usual.
duderusMar 13, 2018 6:42 AM

Mar 13, 2018 6:11 AM
Nov 2017
Shirase bestest best girl.
Mar 13, 2018 6:12 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

Kimari with the lines on her face was hilarious. I love how they kept it through the entire episode. xD
Kimari's inquisitiveness about Mahajong and how she was getting on Shirase's nerves with all the questions made me laugh.

Anyway, the highlight of this episode was of course Hinata and it was great. What her old friends did to her was wrong and it's a shame that she was forced to quit the club and eventually school for it. I feel really bad for her and I can understand her feelings of not wanting to forgive people like that. When people like that come back and pretend like nothing's happened, it's real frustrating and it that frustration sure showed itself when she was beating the poor snow.
This is one of the things that I really like about Hinata, she's always trying to move forward and not feel dejected by the things that's happened to her, I can sorta relate to that and I especially loved how she said she's come all this way so she can enjoy herself while being held down by nothing. The part where she thanks Shirase after the forehead flick was really emotional and sweet. <3

The final scene was definitely the best part of the episode, I started grinning like crazy when Shirase stood upto Hinata's old friends saying that she's already looking forward and that they'll forever live with the guilt of having wronged her. When Hinata started crying, I couldn't help but tear up as well, Well it's like Yuzu says, "It's friendship" XD

The woman who's always crying over Yuu-kun finally got a reply. xD

"Bash the drum can" XD
Mar 13, 2018 6:26 AM

Nov 2016
Friendship is something great.

The emotional outburst with the tears at the end was pretty impactful and I loved Shirases tough attitude.

Post ed scene was kinda creepy,like from a different genre xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 13, 2018 6:46 AM

Nov 2012

Now to the meat and potatoes. Wew, I knew it, there's still something about Hinata that was lacking in the previous episodes, and this is a totally relatable one at that. That's why Shirase's 'piss off' speech kind of struck a chord with me, with which I responded with a heavy yet satisfying smirk and approving nod (while 'sweating' as usual).

Two episodes remaining, and with that post ED scene I hope the questions about Takako will be answered this time. Also this might be my next favorite ep after Ep 7, and Shirase is quite outstanding in both. 10/10 because Hinata focus but instantly 15/10 right at the end when Shirase comes in and closes in a spectacular fashion. Does this mean show's best girl confirmed?

duderus said:
A great episode as usual. Also... did anyone else notice the ED changed.

In what way? I compared it to the other eps and it was still the same kino ED.
SeaJaegerMar 13, 2018 7:50 AM

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 13, 2018 7:04 AM

Jul 2017
"PISS OFF" :-)

I'm not sure what happened with the track team as there was a lot of text and it went too quickly, but I didn't have time to pause it. I'll have to rewatch later.

It was obviously something bad and upset Hinata greatly, but she tried to brush it off as usual. And then as with what happened in episode 6 Shirase couldn't accept that and took it upon herself to solve the problem in the only way she knows how, by sheer force of will.
Mar 13, 2018 7:11 AM
Jun 2015
shirase playing mahjong is a reference to matsumi kuro from achiga (a role hanazawa voiced as well) while the baiman WAS a reference to the dora attacks - they only put 3 doras in it?
Mar 13, 2018 7:19 AM

Apr 2008
This episode further cemented Shirase as best girl. Telling Hinata's old "friends" to stuff it: they deserve no less. The whole seniority system is rotten to the core for sure.

@D1tchd1gger From what I gathered, they bullied her out of the club because no senior got into the track team - and they blamed her for that - and they continued to spread rumors about her even after she quit. It got so bad she was forced to quit school.
gomennasaiMar 13, 2018 7:27 AM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Mar 13, 2018 7:19 AM
Jul 2015
"This is friendship" said the girl who, until recently, hardly understood the word. Beautiful episode, as always.
Mar 13, 2018 7:30 AM

Jul 2015
Next episode will be the super feels punch with Shirase's mother. The book at the ending is a big warning flag.

Mar 13, 2018 7:38 AM

Nov 2012
AbattoirRat said:
"This is friendship" said the girl who, until recently, hardly understood the word. Beautiful episode, as always.

Indeed, makes you feel like a parent here witnessing your daughter's growth.

D1tchd1gger said:

I'm not sure what happened with the track team as there was a lot of text and it went too quickly, but I didn't have time to pause it. I'll have to rewatch later.

Shitty friends encouraged her to compete against third years for a position in a race or whatever, even though generally the third years get those positions because its their last chance. Then when confronted, her "friends" threw her under the bus. However it's unclear if they suggested that to her to bully her or if they just changed their tune afterwards when they realized how mad the upperclassmen were and didn't have the balls to support Hinata.
SeaJaegerMar 13, 2018 7:47 AM

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 13, 2018 7:39 AM

Nov 2008
great episode.. 'PISS OFF' was perfect.. i think the feels train continues to the truth of what happened to takako.
Mar 13, 2018 7:44 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012

<--- <3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
Mar 13, 2018 8:02 AM

Sep 2017
This show is a tear jerker for me idk if it's the music and strong lines or something. Another great episode now to finish strong.
Mar 13, 2018 8:07 AM

Aug 2011
AOTS, love Shirase
Mar 13, 2018 8:20 AM
Jan 2017
Shirase defending Hinata made my weak! These four are such good friends :')
Mar 13, 2018 8:31 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode as always. I wonder how long are they keeping that tanned face of Kimari. It's there for most of the Antarctica sequences in the OP afterall.

I like how there's always a phrase that stands out in each episode.
"In your face!"
"ne"
"Piss off"

The friendship of Shirase and Hinata is quite amusing. Glad they are doing that instead of mainly focusing on the "main" character (Kimari) bonding with others. Kimari is pretty much treated as a side character for the past episodes even lol.
Mar 13, 2018 8:34 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm a nice game to start the episode with. Hmm a new year broadcast from Antarctica huh. Hina's personal problem though sure was a deep one though. Still in the end its nice that Hina was able to tell the others about it though. As someone that was also treated harshly by others in the past Shirase also understands the kind of pain that Hina would be feeling i guess. The bonding moment between Shirase and Hina though was nice though. That speech by Shirase to Hina's former friends though was a powerful one that showed the depths of the friendships and bonds that they had formed together. The bashing of the drum can sure was nice and symbolic too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2018 8:45 AM

Jan 2012
Hinata drama this week. Involving quitting track, who knew we'd have two shows like that this season? Well Shirase was on top of it, telling those bitches to piss off! Well done!
Mar 13, 2018 9:07 AM

Jan 2011
Two more episodes, this is cruel.
Mar 13, 2018 9:14 AM

Apr 2013
Why is Shirase so cute? She flinched like 10 times this episode and I felt my heart jump a little bit.

EDIT: Just finished the episode and I didn't think anything would match that scene where Shirase lectured Hinata for me, but goodness gracious. That last scene almost made me leap out of my seat and shout like a madman. Put some airhorns on that. Some gunshots, something. Shirase snapped. Lol.

SJ7izmMar 13, 2018 9:27 AM
Mar 13, 2018 9:28 AM
Apr 2017
So glad that Hinata is able to move forward from the past and earned her bright future
Mar 13, 2018 9:54 AM

Jun 2015
Shirase defending Hinata against her crappy friends was just amazing. I'm glad Hinata was able to move forward.
Mar 13, 2018 9:54 AM

Sep 2009
Jaeger07 said:

Shitty friends encouraged her to compete against third years for a position in a race or whatever, even though generally the third years get those positions because its their last chance. Then when confronted, her "friends" threw her under the bus. However it's unclear if they suggested that to her to bully her or if they just changed their tune afterwards when they realized how mad the upperclassmen were and didn't have the balls to support Hinata.

Most probably it's the latter, but it still does not excuse them.
Mar 13, 2018 10:06 AM
Aug 2014
this why this anime is the best CGDCT of the seasons. The girls don't follow down into archetypes, the chemistry between them is realistic and genuine. Every girl gets to shine with both strength and weakness. Friend ship of the youth and no force romance and yuri bait, for I really hate anime with yaoi/yuri overtones.

Shirase is best girl, not only in this anime but of the season
Mar 13, 2018 10:07 AM

Feb 2018
Miyake Hinata, fastest sprinter in her high school track club for 200 m. even faster than all 3rd grade. But still Yumiko could chase her at Episode 2. :D

Last Episode we have Yuzu's episode, this episode we have Hinata's. Next episode maybe will be Shirase because of the book and mystery around her mom status die or not. But i hope last episode will focus on Kimari, because she is main protagonist and i think entire series more focus to shirase than kimari.
Mar 13, 2018 10:14 AM

Jul 2014
It was so damn corny.. so corny... and yet... tears popped out from my eyes..
Anyways that post ED scene... we gonna get it arent we? the big punch to the feels.
Mar 13, 2018 10:43 AM

Apr 2010
Hintata's friends or better said former friends seem to have a great deal to explain to her.
Tho what they have done is pretty bad as well.

Anyway it was nice to see Shirase care about her like that.
Mar 13, 2018 10:57 AM

Feb 2018
Nachtwandler_21 said:
Jaeger07 said:

Most probably it's the latter, but it still does not excuse them.

I didn't get that either, maybe when rewatching the episode I'll get it, because I think it makes a huge difference: If it was the first case, those girls are definitely inexcusable because they wronged her intentionally and now ask for forgiveness a person THEY bullied; in the second case however, it's still bad but can fall into the weakness of normal teenagers: They could have feared they would be bullied too and didn't dare to support Hinata (who may not have been a friend, but a teammate), but now realize their fault. In that case they could be genuinely sorry (notice their faces, they do really seem sorry) and I think it's good they had the courage to apologize, even though Hinata has all the right not to forgive them. It may be good now to remember that Megumi did much worse to Kimari who was a closer friend than these girls were to Hinata, and she did forgive. But well, each person is different.

EDIT: I just rewatched the episode and from the subtitles it is not implied if it were those girls who directly spread the rumors. It is written "they", but that may mean "people" in general as well. I do not know Japanese to understand the original sentence.

Well, now to my biggest fear coming true: I'm wondering how on Earth will they be able to conclude the series with just two episodes left. Either they are really good at it or we'll be left with some special to close the story. I REALLY think this series needed to be 2-cour, it would have given them the time to explore Antarctica: Is it just me to have the feeling that, aside from their personal relationships, they aren't doing anything meaningful expedition-wise? What about that observatory? Are they really going to conclude all that in 1 episode, assuming that at least half of the final episode should be some sort of conclusion?
AbeldeMediciMar 13, 2018 12:50 PM
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Mar 13, 2018 11:04 AM

Feb 2018
Aversa said:
Hintata's friends or better said former friends seem to have a great deal to explain to her.
Tho what they have done is pretty bad as well.

Anyway it was nice to see Shirase care about her like that.

My opinion

Remember the moment when hinata ask shirase" do you think l'll feel better if i forgive them?". You can see at the monitor, one of their friend just check her face on the mirror like "i will appear at tv, i must have good appearance"

so i think the former friends just contact hinata now because hinata will appear on tv and they can appear too with this moments. So for me, they deserves what shirase said.
Mar 13, 2018 11:09 AM

Jul 2015
Great episode.Nearly every episode focuses on everyone's problems.

The best part was Shirase saying,"Piss of".And that woman getting Yuu kun's reply.

The bell ringing was very sweet

Mar 13, 2018 11:20 AM
Jul 2018
Great episode as always. Hinata is such an amazing character. So is everyone else in this show. I may have teared up a little at the end. Only two more episodes; this is crazy! What will Tuesday look like without this amazing show?
Mar 13, 2018 12:10 PM

Sep 2017
I looooved this episode,i had to quit school because of my seniors aswell so it was really suprising to see hinata go through the same thing,although i wish that i had friends who supported me like that damn.
But i cant really see how they will end the show in 2 episodes,i wish it would’ve had more episodes,and by the looks of it it wont get a second season :(

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Mar 13, 2018 12:30 PM
Jun 2017
I really like the depth they gave to Hinata in this episode, I'd felt she was the character we knew the least out of the main cast before this episode.

More great character moments for Shirase as well this episode; her "piss off" speech was great, and the way she took care of her friend, and refused to suffer any BS on her behalf makes her my favorite of this series.

I'm glad Yu-kun finally sent a message :D
Mar 13, 2018 12:30 PM

Feb 2016
That sunset/sunrise scene was breathtaking, Really REALLY beautiful.

2 Episodes left. Man this anime will grant a gigantic void in my heart when its gone :( and no recent anime has been able to do that.

Shirase speech... GLORIOUS, this was an intense and emotional episode. The development for the main girls is really outstanding.
CrimsonWandererMar 13, 2018 12:33 PM
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 13, 2018 12:52 PM

Nov 2016
♪ ANIME OF THE SEASON ♪
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2018 12:59 PM

Jan 2013
Yuzuki said it best: "its fine! its friendship!" since it basically the theme of this whole show especially here with Hinata...

this Nobue girl got me wanting to know more about her and this Yu-kun lol
Mar 13, 2018 1:04 PM

Feb 2013
I loved it as usual. I hope the next episode will wrap up Shirase´s mom story and the last episode will be at least 50 minutes. I would like to see that bittersweet experience that you feel when you return to home from a long and life-changing trip.

AbattoirRat said:

That was one of the highlights of the episode. I thought episode 10 was a bit weaker than the rest but this one line fixed that.
Mar 13, 2018 1:10 PM

Sep 2015
Was wainting for someone to tell the gilrs to "piss off", our light of hope Shirase will never disappoint us!

Bless you!

Wonder what will be the closure for the last episodes.
Mar 13, 2018 1:17 PM

Sep 2013
Shirase putting the track girls in their place and everyone supporting hinata :'(
Not everyone forgives.
They're now going to where her mom died.
Mar 13, 2018 1:30 PM
Jun 2016
Another good wonderful episode :> though I hope there is closure on the mother, least they got there and everything :>
Mar 13, 2018 1:38 PM
Mar 2017
Super scared of the helicopter, probably I would do the same

Jaeger07 said:
AbattoirRat said:

D1tchd1gger said:

I recommend you to the page www.kn3.net to upload images, it is very easy and fast.
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Mar 13, 2018 1:44 PM

Feb 2014
I really have huge respect for Shirase now. She might be very camera-shy and all, but she cares about her friends a lot and she's not afraid to speak her mind and be VERY blunt as well.

That personality of hers really helped Hinata out in this episode, since she was stuck in a position about her "friends" from the track team and whether to forgive them or not. I won't deny that I felt a bit sympathetic for those girls at first, but they didn't looked too honest on the T.V as one of them was a bit more concerned about their image than anything else.

The flashback showing how Hinata got the cold shoulder from the spineless third years since she was the fastest at the 200m sprint didn't clear things up as much as I wanted it to, maybe blame the subtitles on that one, but the girls did play a big role as to why Hinata left the track team and school for that matter.

So when Shirase started to speak to them and lectured them as well, I couldn't help but grin like a mad man, especially when she told them of "Piss off." Harsh, but the truth does hurt every now and then. =)

Hinata's situation did remind me of Mari's friend, Megumi, whose treatment to her as her friend wasn't that kind and it would give Mari the right to end their friendship, as what Megumi wanted to happen, but as we saw not too long ago, Mari did forgive her and still wanted to be friends with her. I still think both resolutions were the correct ones though. =D

Two episodes left and there was a bit of emphasis on the location where Takako died. Any bet that the girls, especially Shirase, will head to that location soon?
Mar 13, 2018 1:46 PM

Feb 2018
So, I've just realized what was it that I was missing in these past two episodes: It's the sense of progression. In each episode from 1 to 9, they were closer to their goal while developing on the characters. Now that has stopped to focus just on the girls, and while I like their development I also miss that sense of excitement from the previous episodes. That's why I think this Antarctica arc feels somehow weaker compared to the journey itself. Hope that will improve on the last two episodes.
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Mar 13, 2018 2:04 PM
Dec 2017
This episode was weak and stupid. Let me say melodrama is always junk and a talented director never resorts to such a cheap "solution" to fill screen-time.

Secondly the whole premise is unrealistic and ridiculous. I mean such emotionally unstable and immature people would never be allowed on an expedition which goes to the end of the world for at least 3 months. They don't want suicides and people getting into fights with each other at a base that more or less resembles a prison, with adverse weather acting as the chain fence. So how would those hysterical girls and ladyfolk pass muster during the psychology evaluation? They would never get a chance to set foot on the ship, much less see Antarctica.
Mar 13, 2018 2:16 PM

Feb 2007
Leave it to the expert in being bullied to deal with a bullying incident. And well deservedly we did not get the usual resolution with everyone apologizing and feeling OK - which would have been fine if it really had been just what the "friends" wrote and they simply hadn't stood up to the older teammates, but seeing how they actively slandered her as well to the point that she left the school, they do not deserve to move on as if nothing had happened at all.
Mar 13, 2018 2:35 PM

Oct 2010
I can't emphasize enough how great Hinata is as a character and how much the show benefits from having somebody like her in the main cast. It's not just the character being well-rounded and excellent overall, it's the atmosphere she carries of constant restraint, passive-aggressiveness and subtle indications that she is about to burst out. Her focus episodes are always the most uneasy and tense, and they are very rewarding emotionally.

Also, I think that this episode succeeded at the same point the previous one failed. There is a sense of adventure in it. And even better: there is a sense of adventure as opposed, and related to the personal conflict. Hinata is the most enthusiastic about the novelty of her surroundings because she wants to hide and make up for her own issues. Shirase is unable to enjoy the environment and play along because she knows what her friend is hiding. Unlike episode 10, here the Antarctica is a factor that drives reactions and puts them in context.

The episode was excellent, overall, and I cried again at the climax. The friendship of these girls is so beautiful and inspirational...

...but I have some not so good vibes about it. We have watched 11 episodes and almost in every one of them there has been a moment of climax. And I am worried about what this can mean for the show in the long term, because I can't help but see it as a double edge. Not only because the constant repeat of this climax structure may diminish their subsequent impact, but because, and it's already happening to me, I end up remembering these moments the most. And there's too much nuance and care put in the little interactions for this to happen. So it feels like a waste of quality and potential if the aftertaste is limited to these moments of major emotional expression that are so big and significant and by contrast all those little moments that are equally good but don't carry the weight and narrative significance of the others don't get the spotlight and don't become as memorable. In a series that puts too much care and effort in the little things, it's a pity that they are overshadowed by the big scenes and aren't given the chance to transcend.
jal90Mar 13, 2018 2:41 PM
Mar 13, 2018 2:36 PM

Jan 2016
I've been wondering if me giving SoraYori a rare 10/10 is a bit too much? Then
I watch the episode and wonder why I can't give it an 11.

There has been so much character progression for each and every girl in this series that it's mad. We get the happy segment and then get hit by the feels part. I'm lost for words because it's hard to explain why this is such a masterpiece
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.