Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2018 11:33 AM

Mar 2016
Best comedy Winter 2018.
The first episode was great and I enjoyed it quite a lot but hopefully we get more horror in the next episode
My name's Jeff
Jan 5, 2018 11:34 AM

Sep 2013
I went in with extremely low expectations so I came out pleasantly surprised. I didn't think the first episode was that great but it certainly wasn't terrible.
Jan 5, 2018 11:39 AM

Oct 2012
OP is crap. The ED works pretty well. The art style is really good for this horror. However, the story itself was kind of boring. I guess I was hoping for something a bit more eerie or at least a good twist at the end. I left thinking that was it?
Jan 5, 2018 11:45 AM

May 2009
i always found souichi weirdly funny so no wonder his episode felt that way lol
Jan 5, 2018 11:46 AM

Feb 2010
I'm not really one to be creeped out by body horror (or any at all, cause I prefer my horror to be interactive). I hadn't read much from Junji's work (only Uzumaki, Slug Girl and some other manga whose title I can't remember right now).

But if they keep the Souichi funny crap I'm definitely watching this. Screw the horror, more funny pranks from the voodoo brat!
Jan 5, 2018 11:46 AM

Mar 2014
That was... weird. Souichi's voice made him older than he was supposed to be but it's ok I guess.
Also that moment where he was meowing. xD
Jan 5, 2018 11:52 AM

Oct 2014
I wasn’t expecting it to be this good. Really funny and entertaining, and the Junji Ito style is all there! The short story at the end was a bit brief but I’m glad they included it. Well paced too, it didn’t feel like time was wasted. That’s probably due to the fact that the supernatural element is ambiguous and implied, nothing is outright explained.
Jan 5, 2018 11:57 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Definitly not what i expected but i didn't hate it.
Wasnt really amazing either. Idk.
Solid 6/10 for the first episode i guess.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 5, 2018 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
The art is pretty good for that kind.
Guess, living with that kid is the true horror wtf.

punkrockrobot said:
I went in with extremely low expectations so I came out pleasantly surprised. I didn't think the first episode was that great but it certainly wasn't terrible.

^this, tho I can't decide if it were meant as horror or comedy.
Jan 5, 2018 12:14 PM

Sep 2013
Starting with comedic one was an odd choice, shouchi with his curse pranks get caught.
The doll at the end becoming a monster.
Jan 5, 2018 12:34 PM

Jan 2017
AnimEva said:
Then just read some his iconic manga works dude, problem solved. As respectable as this adaption seems to be, absorbing his works in manga form is still the peak way to experience his stories. I wouldn't bother watching this series if you haven't first read a decent amount of his stories, but that's just me.

Also the fool who said Uzumaki is Ito's worst work: GFTO it's a damn masterpiece.

The thing is, in more cases anime is supposed to be a promotion for manga, and Ito hype aside, this episode didn't make me want to read more. My point is, I'm sure there are a lot of Ito's works that could have been better hookers and I don't get why they chose this one, considering Ito's reputation online is the best horror mangaka out there. Not saying the episode was bad (some things were pretty funny), but I didn't really expect this kind of start.
holiday498Jan 5, 2018 12:39 PM
Jan 5, 2018 12:39 PM
Jun 2016
Interesting first episode, I would love to see some proper adaptions of some things like spiral, or holes and such *forget their real names* but I loved those ones.
Jan 5, 2018 12:40 PM
Dec 2015
It was honestly kind of a weird episode for them to start off on wasn't bad, but a poor representation Junji's work. Which I feel the goal of the first episode should of been to set the tone of juni ito so you know what to expect in later episodes.
Jan 5, 2018 12:41 PM

Jan 2015
The first episode showed a lot of what the anime is capable for, i guess. The way that it show us the narrative of the two types of recital most commom of the autor was great.
and oh god what is that op! i loved the mix of images, and the colors, worked completely well. Most of the comedy in this episode is from the Soichi's stories.
It's hard to adapt any junji ito's manga in anime 'cause it's so replete of details in they faces and bodys totally deformed. I guess it was a great animation of your work, and i expect so much for the next episode.
Jan 5, 2018 12:46 PM
Aug 2015
I'm quite satisfied by the episode.
The plot adaptation was quite fair, most of it is actually in the original tales of Ito's Kyoufu Collection (maybe all of it but I can't recall it well). The animation was also good, the anime Souichi is virtually identical as the manga one and the other characters also hold a quite fair resemblance to the original ones.
The stories about Souichi all focus on his oddness and mischievous acts, not being all that creepy: they portray an evil young boy deeply involved with the occult who holds himself in a very high and delusional regard, with a few moments of cowardice splattered here in there to create a funny effect especially enforced by the contrast it creates to how Souichi acts towards others. Therefore, my theory regarding those criticizing the lack of creepiness is that they don't really know Ito's work, or not well enough. The anime was quite loyal to the manga -- just read his stories and you'll see it's a fact. If you're eager for creepiness, join me in waiting for the next episodes; the one/s involving the "Top Model", for example, should not be disappointing when it comes to that (I hope)! About the option to make that story as a first episode, I agree that it's kind of confusing, because even though Souichi is one of Ito's icons his stories really don't make for a true good representation of Ito's universe, which includes stories much more gory and bizarre than those. Maybe the point is escalate our fear?
The tale "A Doll's Hellish Burial" was a good surprise for me! It's one interesting story of Ito's, yet I didn't think of it as one eligible for anime adaptation. I'm happy I was wrong though -- it too was loyal to the manga and succeeded in keeping its creepy, mysterious, eerie atmosphere. It really could be a little longer, but the manga itself is short, so I kinda created an expectation to see other short stories adapted into a few minute long "sketches" in the end of each episode. I guess my duty as a fan of Ito's work is hoping I won't be disappointed? xD
Anyway, in a nutshell: in my opinion, the episode was: interesting and fair.

(sorry for any possible English mistake, not a native speaker and not used to writing reviews haha)
juliamacg_Jan 5, 2018 12:49 PM
Jan 5, 2018 12:46 PM

Sep 2012
I love the ED, perfect for the show.

I was expecting this to be really scary but it's the opposite. Men Souichi got me really good, he's so creepy yet hilarious that even made me laugh my ass off. Great start though and keep the pace. Looking forward more of him in the show.

Eek
Jan 5, 2018 12:50 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Rhaenya said:
EtoileSosso said:
That was... weird. Souichi's voice made him older than he was supposed to be but it's ok I guess.
Also that moment where he was meowing. xD

This.. Soichi's voice didn't suit him, he sounds like a grown man .. his meow was hilarious af tho.
the VA who's voicing Souichi is 63 years old (not really what i expected but ok .-.)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 5, 2018 12:59 PM

Feb 2016
For a first episode it was decent, it shows what Junji Itos works are about and works as a good starting point, since it's not too scary nor fucked up.
The opening is pretty good and the ending feels really good aswell and both fit perfect in the atmosphere.

I am surprised that the artstyle looks so good animated and from what we saw in the preview the gory part looks good aswell.
Jan 5, 2018 1:03 PM
Feb 2013
Pretty tame story. More funny than creepy. Can't wait to see Uzumaki and Amigara Fault animated.
Jan 5, 2018 1:15 PM
Jul 2016
DengekiTsukai said:
Probably the first few to think that the first episode was utter trash. The main character for this episode was seen to be creepy but that is not the reason why I just dislike this character...
Here are my reasons for disliking the main character and thus episode 1:
1) cursing the characters around him without any reason... He does not have any grudge against them but he simply places curses on people for the sake of doing it which I find really retarded and meaningless.
2) his personality is annoying and pisses me off more than creeping me out, which should be how the episode should deliver.
However, on a side note, having a sneak peek into episode 2 really hyped me up since I have read the part of the manga and I feel that it might actually be a good adaptation.

My feelings about it are pretty much the same as yours.
Jan 5, 2018 1:18 PM
Jul 2018
The story with the creepy kid is just him cursing people...that's it. Boring.

Now the 2nd story with the doll girl, THAT was way creepier. Especially that last shot. That was actually scary.
Jan 5, 2018 1:21 PM
Jul 2018
AIDs_KONg said:
NihilisticLoner said:
The story with the creepy kid is just him cursing people...that's it. Boring.

Now the 2nd story with the doll girl, THAT was way creepier. Especially that last shot. That was actually scary.

Well, those stories are actually supposed to be more comedic, if it was up to me I would've put them in the opposite order to set the mood + palette cleanse.

Will there be more of them like that? I didn't find this story to be funny at all. Though it did get amusing when he got caught. All I could think was, "This kid just wants friends".
Jan 5, 2018 1:23 PM

Mar 2015
Expected something more scary, but it ended up being funny. I think we are just getting started though.

I'd like to point out that no one was seriously creeped out with Souichi. There were the 2 girls in class that seemed pretty disturbed, but I didn't notice anything else.
woah there
Jan 5, 2018 1:37 PM

Oct 2011
decent to bad first ep hope we get better stories or i shall lower my expectations and enjoy it for what it is

"When the time is yours,
the future is waiting,
The person you become,
and the people you're creating.
"
Jan 5, 2018 1:52 PM

Nov 2016
Decent start,not really creepy,but entertaining. I also like the subtle humor thrown in there.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 5, 2018 2:00 PM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
I'm actually a huge fan of Souichi's diary, so I was happy they dedicated the first episode to him. I agree that a Souichi chapter is an odd choice for the beginning of a horror show, though, especially since he is meant to be more hilarious than creepy.

I'm fine with it personally, but I can see why some people are disappointed or confused. Many stories contain a grotesque humour, but I'm pretty sure that Souichi isn't everybody's cup of tea.
Haptism93Jan 5, 2018 2:04 PM

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Jan 5, 2018 2:05 PM

Sep 2015
Studio DEEN is going all out with this one! No one died this episode, but one thing that I enjoyed about Junji Ito's style when I read Uzumaki was just how uncanny and creepy it is. I can't wait for the next episode!
Jan 5, 2018 2:08 PM

Jun 2016
The Souichi story was pretty much exactly how it's depicted in the manga. I loved it, but that might be because I really loved Souichi's chapters in the manga. I kind of wish they did more with the Doll story, since they cut a lot of that out. But it was a nice end for what's to come and it had Ito Junji's trademark body horror.

AIDs_KONg said:
I liked this episode, I was a bit surprised they would start with something more comedic, but overall it was alright. The cackling got on my nerves and the nail biting made me cringe from the sound.
The doll thing genuinely caught me off guard, though.

Even though Ito Junji's mangas are horror, there's tons of dark humour in them. Souichi is probably the most comedic out of the bunch, since he's a weird kid who tries to be creepy but everyone puts him in his place.

When you realize that this is the guy who grows up and becomes....it's a nice contrast.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Jan 5, 2018 2:10 PM

May 2013
Like.... are you sure that was horror? I mean, yeah the atmosphere maybe but...
Jan 5, 2018 2:18 PM

Jun 2015
Good start, weird and funny first episode Junji Ito style and a creepy close.
The animation is very limited, so we shouldn't expect big scenes. A shame.
Jan 5, 2018 2:21 PM

Jun 2013
The first story was meh, but very funny.

I hope this gets at least decent choosing better stories :/

Armisrael
The fate of Destruction▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Deviant
is also the joy of Rebirth ▬ ▬▬Beast
Twtr
Arael
Jan 5, 2018 2:28 PM

May 2016
The Souchi chapters weren't my favorite tbh, but for some reason I really liked this first episode. I guess I don't find Souichi that obnoxious here lol
Jan 5, 2018 2:29 PM
Apr 2009
I'm a little bit confused about some of the reception towards the episode. If you haven't followed Junji Ito it makes sense, but I'm seeing some surprising comments from people who have followed him.

Souichi's chapters have never been too scary, they've always been the lighter side of of Junji Ito's stories and are basically black comedy with a side of horror. And if you didn't know that before, now you know. It was a good introduction to the series and I thought the episode was a fantastic opener, especially with the end (which is a good preview of the type of actual horror that you would see in later episodes).

As a side note, does anybody have any idea what's next? The preview just says Collection 041 and 084 but I don't think those stories are actually numbered as anything in the mangas.

MonoJuMal said:
The Souichi story was pretty much exactly how it's depicted in the manga. I loved it, but that might be because I really loved Souichi's chapters in the manga. I kind of wish they did more with the Doll story, since they cut a lot of that out. But it was a nice end for what's to come and it had Ito Junji's trademark body horror.

AIDs_KONg said:
I liked this episode, I was a bit surprised they would start with something more comedic, but overall it was alright. The cackling got on my nerves and the nail biting made me cringe from the sound.
The doll thing genuinely caught me off guard, though.

Even though Ito Junji's mangas are horror, there's tons of dark humour in them. Souichi is probably the most comedic out of the bunch, since he's a weird kid who tries to be creepy but everyone puts him in his place.

When you realize that this is the guy who grows up and becomes....it's a nice contrast.
Souichi has always been a kid though, him grown up was just a made up story from him.
Jan 5, 2018 2:30 PM

Sep 2012
Nice start, but so far not too creepy. So far a solid 7/10.

Damaera said:

As a side note, does anybody have any idea what's next? The preview just says Collection 041 and 084 but I don't think those stories are actually numbered as anything in the mangas.

Story No. 84 should be The troubled/anxious woman from the Collection Vol. 15 if I'm not wrong, sadly I have no clue at all how the chapters are numbered, they probably numbered them by the original release date while MAL has it as the compiled volumes.
valoonJan 5, 2018 3:06 PM
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Jan 5, 2018 2:44 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The second story, when the girl transformed in a doll and after in "parasite", was short but cool!!
Jan 5, 2018 2:45 PM

Jan 2014
Seems more psychological/supernatural than a horror. Was pretty funny, actually.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 5, 2018 3:05 PM

Sep 2017
I enjoyed it quite a lot, I'm a huge fan of Juni Ito's work so this anime adaptation is pretty awesome.
Souichi's character is portrayed so well to me, he's such an asshole for no reason and I love his weird ass character lmao. I wonder how they'll portray some of his more well-known manga such as Tomie and Uzumaki? the OP is great and I'm so excited for the rest of the series!!!
Jan 5, 2018 3:23 PM

Sep 2016
WieczornyKac said:
This show is terribly boring :v
If other stories have similar level, I drop this...

Well, Souichi is more focused in... dark humor, but the next episode will be a huge more darkness, so how about you give other chance to the anime?
Jan 5, 2018 3:28 PM

Sep 2016
I want the name of the mangas where the stories that were adapted are, please
Jan 5, 2018 3:30 PM

Jun 2012
Couldn't stand the Shouichi episode. He was just going around playing pranks on people for no reason.
The doll segment is definitely what I came here for. Those 5 minutes were better than the entire episode.
Jan 5, 2018 3:41 PM

Aug 2014
NARUTOOOOOOOOOOO said:
I want the name of the mangas where the stories that were adapted are, please

They're from the Kyoufu collection volume 6 and volume 16.
Jan 5, 2018 3:43 PM
Dec 2015
I'm so happy. They captured Souichi perfectly. A pathetic, arrogant, and weird guy who just roams around cursing people and just generally annoying people. Kind of was taken back but very happy at the quality of that doll drawing considering that was literally a six page oneshot.

While I'm excited to see more Souichi and some of the other recurring Junji Ito characters I already know are gonna make appearances in this anime, I'm really hoping they cover more weird shit like that six page oneshot about the doll on top of that.

Like I don't know if she's appearing in the anime itself or just the two OVA episodes, but I'd rather see more weird shit like that taken straight from the collections than Tomie. Though, I wouldn't be surprised to still see her at some point since Tomie was essentially the start of Junji Ito's rise into horror manga...

This absolutely cleanses me of the garbage Gyo adaptation. I'm really glad they didn't make the animation as ridiculously bright as they did in Gyo.
Jan 5, 2018 3:43 PM

Jul 2011
Quite enjoyed it but starting with Souichi is quite a bad move in my opinion. It's that one manga Ito's done that's more a comedy than a horror so for them to start with that for episode one is kinda risky. Though I suppose if you want to build up tension it works like that.
Jan 5, 2018 3:47 PM

Aug 2012
eso-JAR said:
Everything is bad in this title. op,ed, the voice of the Soichi its like from a 40 years old man, stupid pranks(curses), etc...dropped and marked with 1.

Well ... at least your score not count
Jan 5, 2018 3:48 PM

Aug 2013
Everyone else seems to mostly like it but the truth is I was super unimpressed. I have been wanting more horror horror animes. We have Another and Shiki and both are alright. So I was hoping to get something out of this. (Edit: Corpse Party also but I prefer the game)

I had a feeling after watching a trailer that it would be budgety but I was hoping it would make up for it with artistic style. However after seeing the first episode I can say that it just looks cheap with bland artistic direction. Looks like an older anime with limitations if I'm being honest.

I'm super super sad. Not trying to start any fights though but I just say all this as someone who reeeeeeally was wanting a new horror anime
deleted4555778Jan 5, 2018 3:59 PM

[[Website]]

Jan 5, 2018 3:58 PM

Aug 2013
eso-JAR said:
FixedCamera said:
Everyone else seems to mostly like it but the truth is I was super unimpressed. I have been wanting more horror horror animes. We have Another and Shiki and both are alright. So I was hoping to get something out of this.

I had a feeling after watching a trailer that it would be budgety but I was hoping it would make up for it with artistic style. However after seeing the first episode I can say that it just looks cheap with bland artistic direction. Looks like an older anime with limitations if I'm being honest.

I'm super super sad. Not trying to start any fights though but I just say all this as someone who reeeeeeally was wanting a new horror anime

oh, i also want more horror anime, at least something scary.
Try this one - Corpse Party: Tortured Souls - Bougyakusareta Tamashii no Jukyou
it is kinda a slasher horror 4 ova

I'm already familiar Corpse Party, Shiki, Another, etc. There isn't enough actual horror animes period. I want more. And hell the ones we do got aren't particuarly good. Corpse Party Tortured Souls was pretty gorey but the contrast in the visuals was so bad at times that you couldn't make details. I prefer the game anyway

[[Website]]

Jan 5, 2018 4:13 PM

Jun 2016
Damaera said:
I'm a little bit confused about some of the reception towards the episode. If you haven't followed Junji Ito it makes sense, but I'm seeing some surprising comments from people who have followed him.

Souichi's chapters have never been too scary, they've always been the lighter side of of Junji Ito's stories and are basically black comedy with a side of horror. And if you didn't know that before, now you know. It was a good introduction to the series and I thought the episode was a fantastic opener, especially with the end (which is a good preview of the type of actual horror that you would see in later episodes).

MonoJuMal said:

Souichi has always been a kid though, him grown up was just a made up story from him.

I know, but it was still a pretty great representation of what lies in his future.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Jan 5, 2018 4:24 PM

Jan 2017
OP and ED were solid, I like those, but everything in between was a bore. I hope it gets better, I've been wanting something like this for a while.
Jan 5, 2018 4:24 PM

Jan 2016
Was thinking about dropping it until I saw all the comments saying Souichii is supposed to be a more black comedy story. It might be 1 or 2 episodes before I really decide. At least I can say the short at the end was pretty good
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jan 5, 2018 4:51 PM

Apr 2009
Got seriously triggered by the spiders.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is the blu ray version better?

Andru230 - Mar 27

2 by Andru230 »»
Apr 15, 9:42 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2018

162 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 24, 12:03 PM

» Question for whoever has completed this series.....

Elbezo - Dec 11, 2023

5 by Koukyoukyoku »»
Jan 11, 7:03 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

100 by Ayaraa_ »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:09 PM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2018

74 by Giannaisokayish »»
Aug 8, 2023 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.