Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 3, 2017 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I find it interesting at how they protray the business world. Frog guy in a suit XD

Speaking of frogs, seems we got a bunch of them this episode. They even have their own frog language! I think this episode took a serious turn when it explored their society. Interesting stuff, really.

This was a really serious episode compared to some of the others. An angel's life is tough during a time where they are discriminated :o
Stark700Sep 3, 2017 7:59 AM
Sep 3, 2017 7:25 AM

Apr 2010
Pretty heavy episode, it was exactly as the manga.
Dealing with heavy topics of the past only in a different world with different species.
Things turned out ok for the poor guy tho even saving others in the process when he started his own company it seems.

The frog guy was interesting to see as well tho it seems his country is turning out for the worse.
Sep 3, 2017 8:41 AM
Jun 2016
Wow was I surprised how serious this episode was. Its interesting to see our real history portrayed through this alternate reality. End made me tear up a bit.
Sep 3, 2017 8:56 AM

Jun 2015
This was a heavy episode. We see how Mr. Jean Rousseau lived his life in mammalian society. His people are on edge. It was cool to hear their own language. They really don't like the mammalian society. It's interesting to see an alternate reality for WW2. There was forced labor, executions, and prisoners of war. The poor angel. He turned about to be the old guy that met with Mr. Jean Rousseau. Very good world building.
Sep 3, 2017 9:14 AM

Aug 2014
Ok now that was the most sudden tone shift I think I've seen. It went from Frog businessman burning his tongue to WW2 forced labor camps in the span of 15 seconds.

While the part was good it was just so incredibly jarring a change for me to get into it, I genuinely thought it would be that the main characters were watching a war film and it would cut away to them only for it to cut away to the other businessman and showing it all happened to him
Get your shit straight Brenda
Sep 3, 2017 9:27 AM
Feb 2014
I don't know what to call this episode. It's so different from the previous ones. I'm also curious about the world they live in but I think it was executed very poorly. Until now information about that world was given us through the main cast but we almost didn't see them at all, it was like whole plot changed. Also I think I saw all kind of races being both guardians and prisoners so who was discriminating against whom I didn't understand. I'm totally lost.
Sep 3, 2017 9:32 AM

Jan 2012
Random frog dude adventure and ww2-esque prison camp flashback for the old man he met this week. There's some world fleshing out I didn't ask for or want. XD
animefan8800Sep 3, 2017 9:46 AM
Sep 3, 2017 9:33 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Well...i did hear about stuff being dark in the manga but didn't expect THAT.

I like how the stories for the frog and the Auschwitz survivor connect in the end.

The handshake was powerful, frog didn't want to get the president's hands dirty, yet the president insisted so and rejected the cleanup of his hands afterwards (even it was implied from his side that wearing the glove while hand shaking would be racist to be blunt).
Sep 3, 2017 9:48 AM

Nov 2009
mandorallen said:
I don't know what to call this episode. It's so different from the previous ones. I'm also curious about the world they live in but I think it was executed very poorly. Until now information about that world was given us through the main cast but we almost didn't see them at all, it was like whole plot changed.

What, you don't remember the previous episode, where we get to see mermaid festival with camera following the merpeople?

mandorallen said:
Also I think I saw all kind of races being both guardians and prisoners so who was discriminating against whom I didn't understand. I'm totally lost.

We don't have the faintest idea what was Nazi ideology in their WWII. Manga doesn't help matters, this episode was almost exactly like in the manga, and there were no explanations about WWII in any other episodes. (there was some WWII film shots in one sequence, but it did not make anything clearer, except that centaurs usually get machineguns)

Smudy said:
Well...i did hear about stuff being dark in the manga but didn't expect THAT.

That is probably the darkest sequence in the manga. Only the amphibian-mammalian war subplot can compare.
Sep 3, 2017 10:02 AM

Aug 2013
So that was an interesting choice of events...definitely feel like the second half was better than the first half.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 3, 2017 10:05 AM

Dec 2013
Really liked the story they were trying to tell, but I'm confused as to how the two stories tie into the show as we've seen it thus far.... and also just how they separate the different nationalities as well as the different "ethnicities". The best I could come up with was that the centaurs were Caucasian, but the ones in uniform were German, whilst the one in the labor camp was another nationality?

If so, then it seems they have a whole lot more different types of ethnicities than we do, considering they also have mammalian and amphibian societies, as well as the Antarcticans?

Finding the categorizing of everyone here confusing as heck.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 3, 2017 10:09 AM
Feb 2014
flannan said:
mandorallen said:
I don't know what to call this episode. It's so different from the previous ones. I'm also curious about the world they live in but I think it was executed very poorly. Until now information about that world was given us through the main cast but we almost didn't see them at all, it was like whole plot changed.

What, you don't remember the previous episode, where we get to see mermaid festival with camera following the merpeople?

Yeah I forgot or rather I didn't catch on before you mentioned it. Probably because it was only half of the show. Maybe if it was like that this week too then I would overlook it again but not seeing them at all while they're main cast was kinda make it obvious :)
Sep 3, 2017 10:24 AM
Nov 2010
L-Ryoshi said:
Really liked the story they were trying to tell, but I'm confused as to how the two stories tie into the show as we've seen it thus far...

The manga really does a ton of world building and shows things form all over the place.

Personally find it pretty interesting
Sep 3, 2017 10:27 AM

Sep 2009
L-Ryoshi said:
Really liked the story they were trying to tell, but I'm confused as to how the two stories tie into the show as we've seen it thus far.... and also just how they separate the different nationalities as well as the different "ethnicities". The best I could come up with was that the centaurs were Caucasian, but the ones in uniform were German, whilst the one in the labor camp was another nationality?

If so, then it seems they have a whole lot more different types of ethnicities than we do, considering they also have mammalian and amphibian societies, as well as the Antarcticans?

Nothing strange here. Nazis had Germans in their labor camps too. It was not for the races their consider lower only, but for once who were untermensch by their ideology standards to and for ones who opposed their ideology.
Nachtwandler_21Sep 3, 2017 12:09 PM
Sep 3, 2017 11:30 AM

Sep 2013
Based frog bro trying to be a good person in this shit world :'(
That angel kid living the concentration camp life.
Sep 3, 2017 11:58 AM

Jul 2009
It's not what I was expecting, but it was nice to show some reference of WW2.
Sep 3, 2017 1:30 PM

Mar 2014
I'm A Jew and I got so many Holocaust vibes from this episode...
that moment I saw the Train full with people, I knew this was going to be an episode about the holocaust... that was so sad though...
And If somebody gets confused on "Why is that guy who gave the little kid food has to cooperate with the Nazis"? That's because the Jews had their own police-like-thing in Ghetto Warsaw in Poland... this is a resemble to that in Warsaw and works in the same way. the Jews do that to have more self discipline so won't have to do to deal with every little problem... that's a tough topic but I an happy that even here in Centaur no Nayami (totally unexpected), they have such an interest.
Sep 3, 2017 1:32 PM

Nov 2011
So the Frog was a Frenchman...hmm
Then Nazi Germany where Centaur's were the Nazis...okay wtf with this episode?

That English ending was really good!!!
SoraSenpaiSep 3, 2017 7:18 PM
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 3, 2017 1:39 PM

Apr 2015
SoraSenpai said:
Then Nazi Germany where Centaur's we're the Nazis...okay wtf with this episode?

More like "ethnicity" is not related to form, as we saw centaur Nazi, centaur Jew, centaur American soldier.
befriend (v.): To violently attack someone with very dangerous and extremely powerful blasts of magical pink light until your target sees the validity of your viewpoint.
Sep 3, 2017 1:42 PM

Nov 2009
TYxTxYT said:
SoraSenpai said:
Then Nazi Germany where Centaur's we're the Nazis...okay wtf with this episode?

More like "ethnicity" is not related to form, as we saw centaur Nazi, centaur Jew, centaur American soldier.

And don't forget our Japanese centaur protagonist!
Sep 3, 2017 2:29 PM

Apr 2013
Dude. This episode was really, really good.
Sep 3, 2017 2:34 PM

Aug 2016
I've already stated it before, but this show is good at catching viewers off guard. I can see how this episode goes into the running theme of this series and how it used something viewers could understand from their own history as a way of bringing them into that central running theme.

This entire series has been mainly about equality and being more accepting of other's differences while injecting moe situations to keep interests. The fact that they chose to give the characters such big differences between each other by making them all "monsters" is just a way to exaggerate that point and drive it home. Using powerful examples of discrimination from our own history is just icing.

I wonder if anyone got the reference to American history when they tried to desegregate the school by admitting the first Antarctican into it?..

I'm surprised about how few mentions the English ED has gotten in this thread.

This is such a neat show.
"To be Great is to be misunderstood." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
SaigoKensei said:
My mistake was assuming they had the same amount of information I had..
Sep 3, 2017 2:54 PM

Apr 2013
SaigoKensei said:
I've already stated it before, but this show is good at catching viewers off guard. I can see how this episode goes into the running theme of this series and how it used something viewers could understand from their own history as a way of bringing them into that central running theme.

This entire series has been mainly about equality and being more accepting of other's differences while injecting moe situations to keep interests. The fact that they chose to give the characters such big differences between each other by making them all "monsters" is just a way to exaggerate that point and drive it home. Using powerful examples of discrimination from our own history is just icing.

I wonder if anyone got the reference to American history when they tried to desegregate the school by admitting the first Antarctican into it?..

I'm surprised about how few mentions the English ED has gotten in this thread.

This is such a neat show.

I'm still catching stuff as I go on top of the stuff that was more blatant, like the discrimination satire.

This show is just so...honest. Lol. The conversation between the Amphibians and the crabs-in-a-barrel mentality of the centaurs, I started off wanting to watch this for the yuri, but the subtle commentary and the world building. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pleasantly surprised.
Sep 3, 2017 4:33 PM

Jun 2016
Of course the frog is a Frenchmen. I found the beginning exchange funny, because calling him a frog guy is offensive, but then they followed it up by saying he's French. (In case anyone didn't know, frog is a slur for French people)

I was hoping we'd see more interaction between the girls and Jean, especially Quetzalcoatl since it looked like the Antarcticans, or at least a species close to them, are their gods or something.

The second half of the show was sad. I'm glad the little boy was saved and is doing good things. When he wanted to just shake hands without gloves I thought he was just a random older nice guy, but after seeing his story and the context surrounding it, it makes that scene a lot more poignant since he knows just how awful racism is.

That one guy in the ghetto who said that even if everyone was the same there would still be discrimination is right on the money. Sometimes humans suck for this very reason. It doesn't matter what colour your skin is, where you're from, or how you look someone will hate on you for something that is outside of your control. When there's no prejudice involved, then it helps bring communities together, but on the flip side it can cause some real hardships for those who are 'other.' I'm glad there was a happy ending to this. I don't think I could have handled the kid being killed by those guys.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Sep 3, 2017 4:50 PM

Apr 2013
I was about to drop this series until the second half of this episode, jesus christ so this was all the buzz you manga readers were going on about? God I guess it's time for most reviewers on youtube to change their view on this series

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Sep 3, 2017 5:00 PM

Nov 2009
Episode 9 and i still cant figure out what this anime wants to be. It mostly feels like a weird, random mess.
Sep 3, 2017 5:08 PM

Jun 2014
What a pretentious mess of show. It goes worse in each episode.

Sep 3, 2017 6:54 PM

Sep 2014
Yup, it's happening.

So this episode was dedicated pretty much WWII, Nazis, concentration camps, and fighting racism. I'm pretty sure it's going out of control from here.

Case in point:
The frog man goes to his home land to speak to his ppl. His people pretty much call him a sellout and say their god has guaranteed them an imense power to take back their waters and their earth. He replies that they are just like the mamilians in how wrong that thinking was. AKA the other frog guys are acting the exact same way the anime Nazis acted.

What really triggers flas was the fact that he asked them where they got their gear from. Let's go back to a previous episode. Mermaid girl sings, merman says something coming, some robot thing comes out and merman says that's not their god after robot claims to be it. We later see the robot go to Antartican boat.

Now we have frogmen saying they have seen their god and have been given massive power. I have a horrible feeling the Antarticans have played them and given them weapons for the sake of studying them This could be some massive horrible experiment that's going to go out of control or something much worse.

Finally, the ED was sung in English. FUCK YEAH!!!

But then we see the next episode is about dating so that sucks. No pattern here. lol
Sep 3, 2017 7:02 PM

May 2015
Well now, this episode came out of nowhere and tackled on some pretty serious topics. A frog man...er Frenchman being raised by people outside of his race and becoming successful. And then he returns home and sees his "tribe" getting high and being self-righteous about their beliefs.

And the second half we got a WWII Concentration Camp with a young angel boy. This was some pretty deep stuff.

"As long as there are differences, there will always be prejudice."

I liked that Centaur though. "If good people like you survive, then we will have more good in this world." But those guys going after him gave a lot of conflicting thoughts...

This anime is racist...
TarotistNov 14, 2017 6:55 AM
Sep 3, 2017 7:08 PM

Apr 2013
Saito6689 said:
Episode 9 and i still cant figure out what this anime wants to be. It mostly feels like a weird, random mess.

It's social commentary.

santk said:
pretentious

How so?
Sep 3, 2017 10:16 PM

Aug 2013
Well fuck, they are really making the most out of this whole series basically being episodic. One episode we have a centaur in an archery competition against her kouhai that has a crush on her, the next we're in a German/Centaur WWII concentration camp watching a kid get the shit beat out of him and seeing another centaur get hung.

Also, anyone else catch that the ED this episode was in Engrish? That shit threw me off as much as the everything else this episode.
Sep 3, 2017 11:44 PM

Dec 2007
Okay, there's plenty of discussion on the meat of things here, but am I the only one who noticed that the bombs were falling the wrong way (tail down instead of nose)?
Sep 4, 2017 12:47 AM

Jan 2015
I liked how girls were debating on how to call a frogman/amphibian and then Suu-chan said that he is a frenchman,yeah instead of calling someone by a race, call someone based on his country.
Thats cool so he is the first amphibian to become a scholar? what happened to him is pretty admirable actually, from lows to the top all with his own strength.

Then the second part started and i was like ??? am i not watching the same anime anymore? Just wow im speechless, did they really just replicated the Holocaust? and i'd be lying if i didnt say that i had the feeling that i was watching a holocaust documentary, it was so well done,they replicated that exact atmosphere.
That might be painful to watch, second part and first part but thats exactly how our world is/was :D Racism especially

Also English ED :O
Sep 4, 2017 1:34 AM

Mar 2009
Wow that second half was something. Loved how they gave the handshake an even deeper meaning. This show has always had some darker undertones mixed in with the regular slice-of-life material, but this episode went right to the extreme. I think because of this, A Centaur's Life will remain a polarizing show(and after it's over), but to me it'll always be one of the more fascinating "monster girls" anime. They usually come in two flavors: fanservice or straight slice-of-life. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's cool that this one's daring to be a little different.
Sep 4, 2017 2:18 AM

Feb 2013
FCKN' BOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRIIIING! All this anti-nazi shit is boring. Perhaps in Japan it's new and fresh, but not in Russia. WTF? Where is centaur racing, brocken horn jokes or exploring of the deep by mermaids? I won't drop it, 'cause already reached 9th episode, but what next? Whole episode with speech about "frieden den menschen auf erden"?
I think it would be better if they add some conflicts, show both sides and then show how to solve it. But no, all they can is scaring eachother with anti-racist law and disparate punishment. Even of they all girls.
XasthurSep 5, 2017 12:39 AM
Titan of 20+ virgins club.
Sep 4, 2017 2:37 AM

Oct 2016
The english ED is as good as the japanese version (≧▽≦)

Personally the manga was a bit better, no meme intended. It's hard to flow the plot since its scattered just like the manga. And I think the manga was darker. As it has way less fanservices.and the animation art is sub par. Still, the anime did a good job bringing the message across.

If I was wrong in anyway, maybe because it was long since I've read the manga. Last year? Dunno
Sep 4, 2017 5:20 AM

Jan 2015
Another episode about Race-related Conflict. The first part is okay, but the second one...
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Sep 4, 2017 5:45 AM

Feb 2017
That was... whoa.
I watch only comedies because I hate heavy subjects such as war because I get really emotional and I prefer to stay happy, so this episode hit me hard, especially part B. But I loved it. Great example that CnN is not some silly comedy.
Sep 4, 2017 8:20 AM

Oct 2010
I thought this series was supposed to be about cute animal girls doing fun things, I didn't ask for. God damn it Japan did you already forget you were an Axis power.
Sep 4, 2017 9:12 AM

Jun 2013
Damn that really was dark AF
Sep 4, 2017 9:57 AM

Jan 2016
Hmmm I thought they ran out of ideas for the story about the Centaur's Life here lol...
Sep 4, 2017 10:39 AM

Jan 2017
That was a brilliant episode.
Sep 4, 2017 4:13 PM

Aug 2016
This was some powerful stuff, though it came out of nowhere.

From now on, it could go one of two ways, it could go on to be really serious and thought provoking, or it could just go back to what it was before this ep, with cute moments. If its the latter, this episode will feel like it was tacked on for the sake of it.

Where this show goes from here could make or break this one for me.
Sep 4, 2017 5:20 PM
Aug 2015
This episode certainly took a serious turn from its casual comedy.
Sep 4, 2017 7:11 PM

Jul 2014
Quite a series this is. From centaur vaginas to concentration camps. I do kind of like how they're exploring how these different species interact with each other as individuals and as whole groups, but I don't think the series has enough focus or consistency regarding its style, humor, tone and such. It feels like they're just bouncing around with the episodes, instead of having some kind of root idea: are they doing an episodic comedy show, a (slowly) progressing story, trying to teach a moral lesson or what. Of course this can all be (even quite easily) addressed in the same show if it's well done, but Centaur just feels clunky. That being said, I still do like the show.
Sep 5, 2017 1:33 AM
Aug 2013
Having a consistent tone is for chumps.

I came to watch this because I loved the manga. I was afraid the anime would shy away from that, but thankfully the adaptation stayed true to what made the original work so freakin good.

Most likely not enough episodes left, but I had hopes they would show Hime dimension traveling to our world's medieval time and that entire arc.
Sep 5, 2017 6:01 AM

Jun 2016
The first half was kinda boring, but holy shit that second half was everything. It had me crying. I can't even. It's inspired by the holocaust and that was one of my weaknesses and the fact that they relate it to the show. Omg.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 5, 2017 9:57 AM

Aug 2012
This show, holy shit.
Sep 5, 2017 1:11 PM

May 2009
L-Ryoshi said:

Hitler was from Angelfolk not a Centaur. Race didn't matter for nazis
Sep 5, 2017 1:20 PM

Oct 2011
I am loving this show yet feeling eh about it.

On one hand, it tries to show itself as a cute girls SoL comedy with main girls with very bland and trope personalities but ALSO it really focuses on this sociological context of fantasy beings. And thats really really cool and unique.

Also,
Can anyone who read the manga explain in this episode what exactly the "Nazi's" were discriminating against? Because there were all sorts of the species in the camp, and if the "Hitler" was an angel (like the above comment says), then why was the main angel boy there? Sorry if this is obvious.

Forum icon by Yandere

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2017

69 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 9:00 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2017

87 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:57 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2017

94 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:54 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2017

126 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:52 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2017

91 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 27, 2023 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.