Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »
Apr 27, 2017 1:27 PM

Feb 2016
HapHazrD said:
Bla bla entropy... blabla universe... blabla ET... MAGIC!!!
What a meaningful and precise explanation from our friend Kyubei. /s
Full of pathetic spiritual excuses and pseudo science jargon. It doesn't even make sense within its own skewed logic. Why would you send magical girls battle witches and risking losing your energy sources that way, fucking stupid.
Actually scratch that, I found funny that the reason why there are only magical girls is because they're the most unstable and easy to break.

Usage of word "magic" is fine, he can't explain his technology to 15 year old girls. That's defined by shows logic, Madoka isn't hard science sci-fi. He doesn't lose energy in the long run either.

Psychology approves.
Apr 27, 2017 1:54 PM

Jan 2015
Aquamirror said:
HapHazrD said:
Bla bla entropy... blabla universe... blabla ET... MAGIC!!!
What a meaningful and precise explanation from our friend Kyubei. /s
Full of pathetic spiritual excuses and pseudo science jargon. It doesn't even make sense within its own skewed logic. Why would you send magical girls battle witches and risking losing your energy sources that way, fucking stupid.
Actually scratch that, I found funny that the reason why there are only magical girls is because they're the most unstable and easy to break.

Usage of word "magic" is fine, he can't explain his technology to 15 year old girls. That's defined by shows logic, Madoka isn't hard science sci-fi. He doesn't lose energy in the long run either.

Psychology approves.

If the show wants me to accept "magic", it shouldn't try to explain it to me. Like, I'm fine with Mami pulling 20 guns out of her miniskirt, the "it's magic" works cause the show never calls it to the watcher's attention. When Kyubei spends 10 minutes trying to blatantly bullshit me, just to make stupid rehashed "psychological" arguments about livestock or the greater good, you can't expect me to sit here and swallow the Koolaid.
If you're fine with it and are able to "turn off your brain" as they say, then more power to you.
Apr 28, 2017 6:04 AM

Apr 2016
HapHazrD said:
Aquamirror said:

Psychology approves.

If the show wants me to accept "magic", it shouldn't try to explain it to me. Like, I'm fine with Mami pulling 20 guns out of her miniskirt, the "it's magic" works cause the show never calls it to the watcher's attention. When Kyubei spends 10 minutes trying to blatantly bullshit me, just to make stupid rehashed "psychological" arguments about livestock or the greater good, you can't expect me to sit here and swallow the Koolaid.
If you're fine with it and are able to "turn off your brain" as they say, then more power to you.

The show just tried to show the viewers that everything comes at a cost, you can't expect to gain something for free. On a broader scale, before "signing" a contract, read the terms carefully or you'll regret later, or even come banging at the contractor's place and make all useless rant. People have the tendency to look at the closest merit without even thinking of the drawback in the long run, hence their rage/despair/regret/depression when shit hits the fan.

QB race represents big companies that only care about profit and gives no crap to the possible outcome and its employee (watch Capitalism a love story from Michael Moore and you'll see). But anyway i'm just interpreting the show my own way, if you still can't accept the show's explanation then it's its fault for not succeeding in conveying the message in a clear way, i won't pursue you into it.
Apr 28, 2017 7:09 AM

Feb 2016
HapHazrD said:
Aquamirror said:

Psychology approves.

I don't see anything wrong with it, it fits his motives and character, how would you want him to explain anything in that case? His speech answered numerous questions about the whole purpose and reason of his doings. Now if you don't like the anime that's fine, but there's nothing logically wrong from in-universe perspective in that scene.
AquamirrorApr 28, 2017 7:17 AM
Jun 16, 2017 3:25 AM

Nov 2011
Wow. I knew Kyuubei would be evil going into this... but he just keeps sinking further. The writers came up with a surprisingly good explanation for him to be doing what he's doing, but I don't believe for a moment that he doesn't understand what he claims to not understand. If he didn't understand what he was doing, he wouldn't be purposely hiding what being a mahou shoujo entails from the potentials.

He knows nobody would become a mahou shoujo if they knew everything, so he hides those aspects unless they become explicitly relevant. Hence deception.

As for the rest of the episode, it's too bad that their desperate attempt to save Sayuka didn't work, and worse still that Sakura died in the process. Now Homura really is in a pinch... that scene in the first episode will likely he reappearing soon.

The real question is how all of this can be stopped. My best guess stems from some previous speculation on Madoka/Homura. If Madoka becomes the strongest mahou shoujo ever, she could defeat every witch in existence and kill herself afterwards to prevent herself from continuing destruction... but they would have to kill all of the Incubators, and of course suggesting that someone kill themself is still super extreme.

It's the only way out I see to this mess, though.
Sep 20, 2017 5:41 AM

Jun 2016
Did Sakura just fucking died and Sayaka is beyond saving now!?!?!?! OHMYGOD.

Maaan, the risk of becoming a magical girl is just too much. When Madoka started crying on Sayaka's body, I cried harder. Sayaka was my fave character her then now she's gone. I'm not okaaaaaay. What the fuck!

Idk why, but I can't hate Kyubey even though he's so vile and his kind, too. Jesus fucking Christ. THIS SHOW, MAAAAN! NOPE! NOPE! He's just using these poor girls for their own gain. FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Sakura's CD, though. She did her best to save Sayaka. She fucking redeemed herself and now she's gone, too? What the hell, maaaan!?!?!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Nov 17, 2017 11:26 AM

Jun 2013
Kyouko's sacrifice made me more emotional now than when I first watched the series. And now there are only two. What is Homura to do now?

Someone probably already pointed this out, but I want to nitpick Kyuubey's infodump, so what the heck. Energy is never lost! Let's say I burn a cup of gasoline. Once it's all burned, the sum of all energy is the same in the original cup of gasoline and in the products of the reaction - soot, CO2, water vapor, heat, radiation. The difference is that the products of the reaction contain less energy in a way that can be used to do work - which is something that Kyuubey did mention, at least. More on the heat death of the universe: Wikipedia or this video from Kurzgesagt

[insert rick and morty pasta here]

Also, Kyouko and Sayaka would make a fine couple.

Whoops, my hands moved on their own. Oh well, I'll leave it in. I can't help being a romantic.
LeeTailorNov 17, 2017 12:07 PM
Nov 21, 2017 10:37 AM

Jul 2016
Kyoko ded ;_;

I like the design of the witch Sayaka has become, it has a knight's helmet (representing her heroicity), an orchestra (representing her liking for classical music) and a ribbon (representing femeninity and a girl's youth), it's pretty neat and one of the reason I like this show so much, everything is so well designed!
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Nov 21, 2017 12:05 PM

Aug 2015
HitSquare said:

I like the design of the witch Sayaka has become, it has a knight's helmet (representing her heroicity), an orchestra (representing her liking for classical music) and a ribbon (representing femeninity and a girl's youth), it's pretty neat and one of the reason I like this show so much, everything is so well designed!

You forgot she has a mermaid tail, simbolizing the "little mermaid", not the dysney story, where the mermaid trade her soul to become human but in the end the guy Choosed the other girl thinking she was the one who saved him. I think in the end the mermaid kills herself but I m not sure about it. If you want you can try to look it up.

I m not sure but the orchestra is more about kyousuke instead of her loving classical music while the sword and cape (?) like you said it´s about her hero of justice mentality
Dec 17, 2017 1:09 PM

May 2013
Daaaaammnnnnnnn. Look at this sexy end card:

See, why can't they look like this the whole time? Lol, I think I'd take the anime more seriously ;P it just looks too cutesy that sometimes the emotions of the episode don't really carry out their full potential for me :3

I had a feeling Sakura was gonna die this ep, esp when I heard what her plans were to bring back Sayaka. Using Madoka's voice? Really?

But eh. At least Sakura and Sayaka will be together.

Kyubei is such an ass, lmao. I like how at the end, when he spoke to Homura, he said it was impossible but when Sakura asked him about it, he led her on and said I don't know if it's possible or not, but it wouldn't faze me if you could really save her. It just hasn't happened yet.-- choice of words to sway someone's opinion. Smh. Evil Kyubei -.- Meeting Sayaka changed Sakura. Her old self in the beginning would've been more cautious and logical, but she was carried by her emotions and really wanted to try saving Sayaka which led to her downfall. But das okay. Everyone dies eventually, so her effort was good :')
Jan 21, 2018 2:43 PM
Nov 2017
Crazy. Just crazy. What a twist

Keep the binge-a-train a-rollin.
Oct 17, 2018 2:31 AM

Aug 2017
We know Kyubey's intentions. He/She can't feel emotion. Also, that alien is doing all this to give the universe some energy that comes when magical girls turn into witches.

I'm sad that the attempt to save Sayaka didn't work. Poor Sayaka. RIP Kyouko and Sayaka.

5/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 28, 2018 10:05 PM
Sep 2018
HOW SHALL I GO ON WITHOUT KYOUKO? HOW!?
Nov 6, 2018 7:50 AM
Aug 2018
Madoka is brave. This is the 2nd time I see Madoka show her bravery. She walked forward and get caught by Octavia before Kyoko attempts to set the Illusion barrier for the 3rd time. If Madoka does not walk forward and get caught by Octavia will attack Kyoko for the 3rd time. After the witch's last sword attack, the attack stops. Kyoko can use her suicide attack to destroy the witch. I hate Kyubey because he makes Madoka cries for the 2nd time in this episode.
3ASV226Jul 26, 2019 3:35 AM
Dec 11, 2018 6:36 PM
Apr 2017
Who got the onions in my eyes...?
Feb 15, 2019 10:10 AM
Apr 2016
I guess corny talk wasn't enough to bring Sayaka back hahaha... she's dead (?) Great episode.
Feb 23, 2019 3:25 PM

Jun 2017
What a useless sacrifice, Kyouko should still be alive :(
Kyubei srsly needs to die
ZhexalFeb 23, 2019 3:28 PM
Mar 4, 2019 11:58 AM

Sep 2014
I never truly understood why Homura let Kyouko sacrifice herself. Its like QB said, now she is the only magical girl in town and cant defeat Walpurgis anymore.

I guess she already figured in Kyouko would not fight after Sayakas witch version was killed.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 6, 2019 11:34 PM

Dec 2014
well clearly this show isnt afraid of killing off characters and I can appreciate that... but also be really saddened by it. RIP Kyoko and Sayaka

Homura is really going to solo raid boss Waluigi next episode???
Jun 19, 2019 1:48 AM
Jan 2019
I laughed so hard hearing what Kyuubey said to Madoka lmao
Oct 11, 2019 8:21 AM

Jul 2019
Well, i am hopeless. This sucks!
Nov 8, 2019 8:46 PM

Feb 2017
It really just feels like Homura is letting everyone march to destruction; despite knowing the tragedy at hand all she does is provide cryptic warnings that do nothing. Pushing this idea of non-involvement is stupid when only negatives come about it because now she's left without Tomoe, Sayaka, or Kyoko to face Walpurgisnacht alone which she certainly won't be able to handle alone and thus force Madoka to become a magical girl anyway.
𝘼 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙡 𝙙𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮
Nov 18, 2019 11:58 PM

Aug 2018
Good Episode......hmmmm
Jan 9, 2020 12:38 AM

Oct 2019
Sh*t like this is why I watch anime, I started watching just thinking "meh, seems boring" to getting my expectations blown out of the water. You never know what gem of a story you might find in this awesome medium.
Jan 16, 2020 4:04 PM

May 2011
Kanetopher said:
Sh*t like this is why I watch anime, I started watching just thinking "meh, seems boring" to getting my expectations blown out of the water. You never know what gem of a story you might find in this awesome medium.

Sameee. After the first episode I wasn't convinced, but I felt like there was potential. Two episodes later my mind is utterly blown. I can't wait to see how this ends. I'm hoping for one. sliver. of hope, lol. My heart is bruised right now. Can't... take... it..
Feb 3, 2020 9:42 PM

Jul 2016
Okay, this episode was fucking sad and the ED with that image of Kyouko comforting Sayaka almost got me, not gonna lie. Fool of me for getting attached to characters in a series written by Urobuchi. Seriously, this guy is heartless.

Regarding Kyouko and despite my initial annoyance towards her, I'm actually quite surprised about how much I ended up liking her character. What's more, she changed my impressions of her in such radical way I can't believe I'm feeling this bad for her departure. In the end, she might become one of my favorite characters alongside Homura.

Now on a side note, I absolutely didn't see coming that reasons for Kyuubey's actions. The whole "Magical Girls used as fuel for the universe - Entropy Ordeal" thing sounds a bit pretentious yet somehow convincing within this series' universe. Personally, I find it more interesting and "innovative" than anything else so I will say that I liked this explanation. And of course, not to mention that said explanation will make Kyuubey remain as this amoral being that acts for the greater good I like so much.

P.S.: Wow, kinda surprised to see so many people not getting the meaning of Kyouko's sacrifice...
Apr 23, 2020 6:17 AM

May 2016
Okay, this episode was fucking sad and the ED with that image of Kyouko comforting Sayaka almost got me, not gonna lie. Fool of me for getting attached to characters in a series written by Urobuchi. Seriously, this guy is heartless.

Regarding Kyouko and despite my initial annoyance towards her, I'm actually quite surprised about how much I ended up liking her character. What's more, she changed my impressions of her in such radical way I can't believe I'm feeling this bad for her departure. In the end, she might become one of my favorite characters alongside Homura.

Now on a side note, I absolutely didn't see coming that reasons for Kyuubey's actions. The whole "Magical Girls used as fuel for the universe - Entropy Ordeal" thing sounds a bit pretentious yet somehow convincing within this series' universe. Personally, I find it more interesting and "innovative" than anything else so I will say that I liked this explanation. And of course, not to mention that said explanation will make Kyuubey remain as this amoral being that acts for the greater good I like so much.

P.S.: Wow, kinda surprised to see so many people not getting the meaning of Kyouko's sacrifice...
May 1, 2020 3:19 PM
Feb 2016
Damn,sad to see the only non annoying character beside Homura die. She shouldn't have even bothered to save a cretin like sayaka. Wondering how homura is going to deal with the warplugish night. Mabye the show will actually start to go forward next episode,but I'm not holding my breath.
May 21, 2020 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
Sayakaaa! Sakura-chan!! ..

That lecture about entropy was really really interesting :( ..it even seems so believable! I want to go back and watch this from the beginning again

I feel like I understand Kyubey now.. he doesn't understand humans as a non-human.. are our emotions, pains, values really that powerful, irrational and unique..

wait.. Kyuubey was written by a human ._. ..this magical show is becoming very realistic to me..

Also, is it just me, or has the animation better in the recent episodes? I'm loving the animation, wonder what has changed.. that part during battle where Sayaka's blue firgure and Sakura's red one meet and merge was touching :'

And, I love catching these random poems or sentences or symbols we see in the background ..wonder if they have meaning to the plot or scene.. like in this episode there's something about Fibonacci, there's little mermaid and fishes and unicorn.. in previous episodes there were poems by Faust and a nursery rhyme.. hmm..

So, that giant creature in the magical dimension we see are witches..? poor Sayaka is in an orchestra in her other world..

Jun 17, 2020 10:30 PM
Jun 2017
Kyubey has grown to be my favourite character. Aside from his asspulled explanation of entropy, which I don't think is much accurate, his sweet application of utilitarian ethics makes me grow fond of him.
Nov 15, 2020 1:17 AM

Apr 2020
Kyoko died, if Madoka had become Puella Magical, Kyouko would not have died
Nov 21, 2020 9:17 AM

Sep 2020
Kyubei, you little fucker >:(
Jan 22, 2021 10:30 PM
Apr 2020
This episode broke my heart :(
Feb 11, 2021 1:43 PM

Jan 2019
"Whenever you feel like dying for the sake of the universe, call me." Damn what a line. I love media like this that is willing to discuss what the value of a human life is.

Also- I still can't believe that after learning all that she has that Madoka is still considering becoming a magical girl. This girl I swear...
Feb 14, 2021 3:20 PM
Waifu Inspector

Sep 2019
Kyubey is basically saying Magical Girls are like batteries. I guess Kyouko and Sayaka are both gone...
Feb 16, 2021 6:24 AM

Feb 2020
i love kyoko so much.. she's so selfless i- ):

that ed though.... please the pain i suffered

madoka will ultimately become a magic girl in the end then huh
Jun 16, 2021 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
I rewatched this along with episode 8 because I felt like experiencing the end of Sayaka and sakura again. Even though it's short the emotional impact probably makes this my favorite fight in the series. And I think sakura is back in my top 10 favorite characters.
Jul 18, 2021 3:29 PM

Apr 2018
Rik Kyouko. Her personality changed really quick. Idm, that side of her was better.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Nov 4, 2021 7:07 AM

Jul 2016
bokurano x claymore meets magical girls? lol, joking. i kind of understand kyuubei though. it even sounds reasonable... scratch that, i do agree. it's shitty, but whatever species kyuubei is, they don't have the capacity to feel emotions. (even if they did, they'd probably still rather use humans as their "batteries" regardless. and possibly for no reward either.) i don't know if i can call it evil. the actions itself are definitely evil. it was heroic that kyouko died along with sayaka. i guess she couldn't ignore her cause at all. so madoka is going to accept the contract soon, huh... damnit.

nice alternate ending btw

edit: hold up. i read that mahou shoujo madoka magica is actually inspired by bokurano?! that explains the chairs! damn! no wonder
Cazqui-09Nov 4, 2021 9:17 AM
Nov 15, 2021 11:56 PM

May 2020
Kyubei really is a manipulative bastard. Also, consent obtained false pretenses is not valid, not that it matters now.

Although to be absolutely fair to him, he never did say that life would be easy after being granted a wish and Sayaka knew exactly what she was getting into, unlike Mami or Kyouko (Who were both taken advantage of).
Dec 30, 2021 1:39 PM
Jul 2018
NO!!! WHY?!?!!?!?!? I LITERALLY CRIED WHEN SAKURA'S SOUL GEM SHATTERED!!!
PLEASE DON'T LET HER BE PERMANENTLY GONE!!

ugh, gotta go to work now, and this show is gonna be on my mind all evening till I get back.
Jan 6, 2022 11:39 AM

Dec 2012
Homura appears.
They escape.
Shaft headtilt.
Madoka sees Sayaka.
Shaft headtilt.
Kyubey asking for permission to come in like a vampire.
WTF Kyubey!
Madoka skipping school.
Dat transformation.
Dat room.
Sayaka grabs Madoka.
Homura saves Madoka.
Dat explosion.
Kyubey.
Homura is the only one left.
Dat ending.

LAWD JESUS! Dat End card.

Watch date: 5/2020
RobJan 6, 2022 12:09 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 21, 2022 9:11 PM

Jan 2021
I love how all that power of friendship bullshit didn't happened here.

I kinda like it now! Lol
May 28, 2022 8:59 PM

Feb 2021
I was expecting Sayaka's character to demonstrate something more substantial but I guess that's it from her. Also not that it really matters but does this show have any understanding of how physics and energy work?
May 28, 2022 8:59 PM

Feb 2021
Sucks that Kyouko died too. I liked her but then her personality did like a 180
Jun 11, 2022 11:21 AM
Nov 2020
I- i am confused, did kyoko just wanted to die? like the whole plan was kinda stupid? I have no idea
Jul 5, 2022 9:37 AM

Mar 2021
Is there something wrong with me if I agree with kyubei? like, he's telling the truth. They technically got deceived, but not really. They could've just asked. He is doing it for the greater good, and if you think about it Madoka thought she was worthless but now she can contribute to the universe in a way no one can. And she's going to die anyway, we all are, so... why not make her life worth something?

Even though I said all of this, I still think she shouldn't become a magical girl, since she's already aware of the consequences, but I'm saying that, if she did, it wouldn't be that bad. They struggle to understand kyubei's reasoning bc he's talking about the whole universe and not just us, and we often forget that there's more to life than just our lives.
Jul 22, 2022 8:14 PM

May 2020
Of course they were deceived. It's called lying by omission. Madoka doesn't need to sacrifice herself to make her life worth something.
Jul 31, 2022 10:29 AM

Jun 2016
Kyoko went and sacrificed herself to stop Sayaka in her witch form. A noble cause. Kyoko will be missed.

Kyubey is quite the sly devil, providing info only when necessary, and actively forcing people down a path by manipulating them. Impressive, honestly.

Aug 23, 2022 8:57 AM
Aug 2022
"So if you ever feel like dying for the sake of the universe just let me know" What a fucking line. Kyubey's def an alien with words like that.

So we got a big lore dump from the evil et thing but idk if we should trust it, I mean it lied to Kyoko right? so it could be lying to Madoka as well?

I guess their both really gone, though the preview sounded like Kyoko? not sure what was up with that.
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.