Forum Settings
Forums

Is it better to have a less popular character as an avatar?

New
Mar 29, 2017 2:39 AM

Oct 2014
There are a lot of people who I start to associate with their avatar, but I personally find it harder when there are a lot of other people using that same character. With over 4 million users and only around 30,000 characters you can't expect everyone to use a different one but characters like Nico Yazawa feel less personal through overuse as avatars. I also can't take people with a Kirito avatar seriously because it only looks like a joke to me.

Do you prefer for everyone to use different characters as avatars? If a fanart drawing has a different enough art style would that be enough to see that avatar differently? What do you think when you see someone use the exact same image for an avatar as someone else?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 29, 2017 2:40 AM

Oct 2014
I agree, but I think most of all the more of a hipster you are, automatically the better you are than most normies amiright?
Mar 29, 2017 2:42 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
it definitely shows individuality when you use a character no one else does, i mean i was pretty easily recognized as the Mai-Senpai guy and im also associated with Keijo, but thats not ONLY cause of the images

idk how many people know Ai-chan

theres a few other people who i associate with the character in their avi
Mar 29, 2017 2:42 AM

Oct 2013
I don't really care what avatar people use
sure I've mistaken some users for someone else but thats about it really and it doesn't happen that often in my experience anyway
Mar 29, 2017 2:43 AM

Feb 2013
Normally users have their favorites as their avatar, if I like the avatar I check their profile.
And I don't judge anyone if they use Kirito or whatever character many people seem to hate just because many lame users have something against SAO.

Oct 2012
Devotion to your waifu is more important than being a hipster degenerate.

Dec 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
There are a lot of people who I start to associate with their avatar, but I personally find it harder when there are a lot of other people using that same character. With over 4 million users and only around 30,000 characters you can't expect everyone to use a different one but characters like Nico Yazawa feel less personal through overuse as avatars. I also can't take people with a Kirito avatar seriously because it only looks like a joke to me.

Do you prefer for everyone to use different characters as avatars? If a fanart drawing has a different enough art style would that be enough to see that avatar differently? What do you think when you see someone use the exact same image for an avatar as someone else?

It would be nice if everyone used different avatars but it ain't gonna happen, if they were different through art that wouldn't bother me that much as the difference is still there, and if someone has the same Avatar as me it doesn't annoy me.

Also I don't blame you for not taking the people with Kirito avatars seriously.
Mar 29, 2017 2:44 AM

Mar 2015
i simply using my current avatar because i like their chatacter...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 29, 2017 2:45 AM

Jul 2013
To each, their own, let people use the avatar they want, even if there are like 10000000 people having Kirito, Nico or Rem in them.

I admit I had mistaken some users for having the same character in their forum set. I also remember someone confussing me and another user for the same dude because we both had a forum set dedicated to Sugou from SAO (who was done on purpose, but, well).
Mar 29, 2017 2:46 AM

Oct 2008
Kirito is one of my favorite characters so I think you are wrong and it should be fine to use him for an avatar or whatever on your profile. It would be awful if everyone had to use a real picture of themselfs on their profile.
Mar 29, 2017 2:46 AM

Sep 2014
I haven't seen someone (at least on the forums actively) having an Akagi profile pic, so I am one of a kind. At least that's what I think. I don't think I've mistaken anyone for their profile pic though, I may not actively reach out to any users, but I at least can remember the name associated with their pic.

So, I don't really care which profile pic anyone uses unless it's the same exact pic, then I'd need to look at post #s and such to see if they change their profile names or not.
Mar 29, 2017 2:49 AM

Oct 2013
Kiouma-Riou said:
It would be awful if everyone had to use a real picture of themselves on their profile.
Why is that?
I've used pictures of my self for my profile picture and never had a problem
Mar 29, 2017 2:51 AM

Oct 2008
Deknijff said:
Kiouma-Riou said:
It would be awful if everyone had to use a real picture of themselfs on their profile.
Why is that?
I don't mean it is bad to use a real picture but if you are shy it is something you might not like to do.
Rainy11Mar 29, 2017 2:58 AM
Mar 29, 2017 2:53 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
For my forum picture I use Sora, and I don't think she's unknown or anything but I like the way she looks :V

For my profile picture I use Nadeko and she's a Monogatari grill so that's pretty mainstream honestly, but at the same time I don't see many other people who use Nadeko pictures so eh, I still might be a minority there

Between the two I use Nadeko as more of an avatar I guess, she's also my Steam avatar and in my signature on this site and has the highest concentration of pictures on my profile, but I just liked this picture of Sora and so I went with it, which I do think Nadeko would be far more recognizable than Sora. Plus instead of using a singular character to represent myself, I can flaunt that I like more characters than just a single one.

I don't see a problem with somebody using a more known character, though, if it's something they want to use. Really, I like the idea of being able to select your own visual representation like this.

It'd be easier to identify somebody by a certain character that no one else uses yet wasn't completely obscure, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to recognize them still, and people can have other things that make them stand out.
ManabanMar 29, 2017 2:59 AM

Mar 29, 2017 2:56 AM

Aug 2014
What does it mean? All I get out of you not wanting to use the avatar of someone who is popular is that you want to feel special.

Oct 2013
Kiouma-Riou said:
Deknijff said:
Why is that?
I don't mean it is bad to use a real picture but if you are shy it is something you might not like to do.
oh ok I see your point then
well i guess we don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable

Oct 2014
Yeah, I think the more unpopular it is the better. I mean the best choice really it to make your own character for your profile. Only then you can be a true hipster.
Mar 29, 2017 2:59 AM

Nov 2012
really doesn't matter, just use the character you want.
Mar 29, 2017 3:04 AM

Mar 2016
My answer for your questions :
zombie_pegasus said:

Do you prefer for everyone to use different characters as avatar?

No. Every people has own favorite and taste, then express it into their avatar. Like my avatar, I liked money and cats.

zombie_pegasus said:
If a fanart drawing has a different enough art style would that be enough to see that avatar differently?

Maybe. Because some people may looking for same fanart author to make it into their avatar. It have some expectation if they make their avatar itself.

zombie_pegasus said:
What do you think when you see someone use the exact same image for an avatar as someone else?

That same exact avatar is 'mostly' happen on famous MC in very popular show like kirito from SAO, naruto,etc.
And i think people that have same exact avatar is still "new" into anime or they are "casual" who always watching "mainstream" shows like above

Mar 29, 2017 3:08 AM
Aug 2014
When i made mine i chose a character ive seen no one else use before, that i like, and that is male
I kinda dislike it when i associate someone with a picture that doesnt fit their gender
Mar 29, 2017 3:09 AM

Nov 2011
Nobody cares who's your avatar's character is.

Mar 29, 2017 3:10 AM

Feb 2016
I also associate many users with their avatars but most of the time especially with girls on avatars I dont recognize them as they tend to be from ecchi/cute girls shows which I dont watch, the only female character I often see and recognize is Major from GiTS.

I like my avatar and even tho Guts is relatively popular I only saw like one other guy using him so I guess its alright :) My signature helps me finding my post in a thread when scrolling so thats also a useful feature.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 29, 2017 3:11 AM

Sep 2009
Doesn't matter, but it's pretty easy to have a unique ava. Ppl with kirito and other bad characters obviously just want to show off their filthy casual status.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 29, 2017 3:15 AM

Apr 2016
its up to them. Well i havent seen any sign if the user using the same avatar with the same character.
Mar 29, 2017 3:20 AM

Jun 2015
I like seeing all the different character art that people use for their avatars. I personally use an OC piece of art that I commissioned a few years back.
Mar 29, 2017 3:20 AM

Jul 2014
tbh if everyone had the same character as me i would feel overwhelmingly happy because he deserves all the love in the world
Mar 29, 2017 3:27 AM

Jul 2015
zombie_pegasus said:

I use the mobile version most of the time and a lot of the time the avatars don't appear but sigs do (currently happening in this thread) so if someone wants to stand out more they should a sig. Even if it's just text.
Mar 29, 2017 3:45 AM

Jun 2008
I don't mind it if other people use Sanji as their avatar. It's a way for me to find others who also like Sanji :)
Mar 29, 2017 3:48 AM

May 2010
I like using chibi character as avatar (because it's cute), they usually come from my recently favorited anime/character.
I always disable sigs, so when people have anime characters as avatar, I usually judge their taste from it (except the comedy looking ones).
Mar 29, 2017 3:56 AM

Nov 2016
Everyone should use the chara which he prefers, even if it is Light, Goku or whoever. Being different for the sake of being different is denying himself.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 29, 2017 4:06 AM

Feb 2013
people with avatars of human looking characters should drink from the small water fountain
Mar 29, 2017 4:11 AM

Jun 2008
In most cases yes. I think usually avatars are supposed to help you establish a bit of your own unique personality. That's not going to happen if you use Luffy or whatever. If you're on a non-anime forum it's a different story perhaps, although even in that case I prefer seeing something more unusual, as it kinda makes me more interested in the person. And yeah, if you're going to use a popular character then I recommend at least trying to find a picture where that character is portrayed in a slightly unusual way.
Mar 29, 2017 5:16 AM

Jun 2012
I don't mind whether its popular or not but at least be more distinguishable enough.

Like this illustration for example:

I've seen enough of it from this and other site that my mind register them as same person.
Mar 29, 2017 5:30 AM

Nov 2016
I duuno if it's better but it's good, it sets you apart and shows some taste.
Mar 29, 2017 5:35 AM

Jan 2008
Its led me towards some bad generalization of others to say at least. Though it is always amusing seeing someone use gif avatars I made like from 5+ years ago.
Mar 29, 2017 5:48 AM

Jul 2015
My opinion on avatars:

- I find it cringeworthy to use a female avatar if youre male. If you want a hot girl, use it in your signature, but not as an identification tool, and thats what an avatar should be used for.
- an avatar should reflect your personality or at least should use a person, you like. So if someone uses Kirito as an avatar, I make my judgements about this and consider this person to be uncreative and boring. I basically dont care about this person and probably wont even read the post.
- also if someone choses the Kirito avatar, it just means he wants to be "popular", though he choses an unteresting char. On the other side I would accept other chars like Son Goku or Ichigo from Bleach, because they stand for a certain char type. So there isnt a general rule for that, at least for me.

But Im too lazy too upload an avatar on this page anyway, because the user frequency is too high on this big database anyway, so I dont care to be regognized. :D
Mar 29, 2017 5:50 AM

Jan 2015
Lol, idk but don't necessarily put my favorite character or burden by popularity or how it will appeal in front of other. Simply I found the right image of anything I feel i just want to use atm

la critique de l'intention pure
Mar 29, 2017 6:08 AM

Nov 2010
yeah, only losers have characters from famous shounen battle anime as their avatar.
Mar 29, 2017 6:13 AM

Mar 2012
Please call me over if someone was using either Theia, Yurika, Sanae or Kiriha as avatar.

The benefit of having lesser known avatar and by extension favorite is because it's easy to recognize that people have same interest or knowledge about what I love as opposed to common knowledge that more well known anime share.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 29, 2017 6:16 AM

Apr 2014
It is better to have something you like as your avatar.
Mar 29, 2017 6:20 AM

Jan 2016
I just say do whatever the heck you feel like doing with your avatar. If you want to use a popular character then feel free and if you want to do something else then go right ahead. Personally I would like to get an avatar of a character idea I have buuuuuut I don't have any form of compensation since I lack money :3 That's all for my opinions on the matter...
Mar 29, 2017 6:27 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Oh, and in terms of judging people by their avatar since I've seen that brought up a couple of times, I'm probably going to turn instantly defensive against somebody who has a Spike Spiegel avatar on first impression. I don't know what it is about Spike Spiegel avatars and being self-righteous, obnoxious cunts most of the time, but I'll generally presume guilty until proven innocent with that particular character as a rule of thumb.

Also, although this is probably a given, if somebody has an avatar or forum set in general that shows they're in-line with my tastes then I'll be more apt to wanting to talk and get along with them.

Outside of that, I can't really think of any judgements I tend to form based on avatars.
ManabanMar 29, 2017 6:31 AM

Mar 29, 2017 6:28 AM

Feb 2010
I've switched avatar so many times that it doesn't even matter, I don't think there's a fixed association with me and my avatar. I'm not a living, self-strangling legend like @Ckan in that sense. I can't even count how often I switched it up over the years.

I've used real authors, anime characters, comic book characters and cartoon characters in the past and most of them weren't really mainstream so I never had to worry about what OP described. I was usually the only one with my avatar but not really because I avoided mainstream stuff, it just never really happened with the exceptions of Spike and Yang Wenly which are both fairly popular avatars but still nowhere near all those mainstream waifu avatars. I just switch avatar whenever I watch or read something that compells me to dedicate an avatar to it, that's all there is to it.

Manaban said:
Oh, and in terms of judging people by their avatar since I've seen that brought up a couple of times, I'm probably going to turn instantly defensive against somebody who has a Spike Spiegal avatar on first impression. I don't know what it is about Spike Spiegal avatars and being self-righteous, obnoxious cunts most of the time, but I'll generally presume guilty until proven innocent with that particular character as a rule of thumb.

The elitist boogeyman at work, smh.
How am I supposed to take any of your usual self-pity about how judgmental people are towards ecchi lovers seriously when it comes from an openly admitting hypocrite like you? You deserve to be judged and looked down upon based on your preferences as long as you do the Same. Fucking. Thing.
Jesus, nothing triggers me more than self-rigtheous hypocrisy like that.

But well, see you the next time you write a wall of text about how people who like Bebop and co are all judgmental assholes and ecchi lovers are the undeserved victims in this community and not just another group of self-important assholes with a victim complex...
AlcoholicideMar 29, 2017 6:43 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 29, 2017 6:37 AM

Mar 2008
I think that so long as the chosen image itself is distinct - and a person sticks with it long enough (and is 'seen' enough,) - then it inevitably becomes quite identifiable regardless of the character's commonness. In fact, a 'familiar' character might actually speed up the process of making an user identifiable from their avatar

Pullman said:
I've switched avatar so many times that it doesn't even matter.

Even so, you'll always be that orange Polish watchman dude to me.
Mar 29, 2017 6:40 AM

Jan 2017
Duwang is never a bad avatar choice. The more the better.
Mar 29, 2017 6:44 AM

Feb 2010
Ckan said:
I think that so long as the chosen image itself is distinct - and a person sticks with it long enough (and is 'seen' enough,) - then it inevitably becomes quite identifiable regardless of the character's commonness. In fact, a 'familiar' character might actually speed up the process of making an user identifiable from their avatar

Pullman said:
I've switched avatar so many times that it doesn't even matter.

Even so, you'll always be that orange Polish watchman dude to me.

I honestly already forgot about that avatar. But yeah that did last a while.
Mar 29, 2017 6:46 AM

Feb 2016
I don't care about their avatars. I personally think it's a bit stupid to associate someone with their avatar. And I think it's very stupid that you can't take people with Kirito avatars seriously.
Mar 29, 2017 6:47 AM

Mar 2015
This is something that I am not concerned about.
Mar 29, 2017 6:49 AM

Jan 2015
Nobody knows/remembers me I'm too unknown for the community to notice/know my existence :3

But i'm not concerned at all, if the person with the avatar has a bad profile then I would most likely ignore that person especially if the person have commented badly on other peoples comment sections :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Mar 29, 2017 6:52 AM

Feb 2010
Ultimatedeath said:
Nobody knows/remembers me I'm too unknown for the community to notice/know my existence :3

But i'm not concerned at all :3

Pretty sure I've seen you around. Not enough to have a real opinion on you but I definitely know that name and signature. 3000 forum posts are definitely enough to get noticed by the regulars I'd say ^^.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

7 by maya2003s »»
37 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

33 by NubFix »»
8 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

16 by verimpa »»
11 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

17 by verimpa »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - Yesterday

42 by Maou_heika »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.