Forum Settings
Forums

Can someone with 1000 completed anime still be a casual?

New
Feb 7, 2017 11:19 PM

Oct 2014
I know there's a sort of idea that casuals are people who haven't seen much and watch anime casually, but I know there are at least some definitions that would allow someone who has seen a lot to still be a casual. I've completed over 800 anime but some will still call me a casual since I only watch an hour or two a day.

To you is the term "casual" more about taste (liking mostly one genre), amount seen (less than 200 maybe), how much watched regularly (hour a day possibly), or something else?
Feb 7, 2017 11:30 PM

Nov 2009
To me "casual" is about the amount of interest in anime. Somebody who watches a lot isn't a casual (but might be a newbie). Somebody who has been watching for a very long time isn't a casual either (such a stable interest is pretty impressive on its own).
Feb 7, 2017 11:30 PM

Aug 2009
I'm nearing 3k completed, but I don't consider myself any kid of elitist or w.e. I'm fairly casual as far as my opinions IMO. I dislike labels in general.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 7, 2017 11:34 PM

Jun 2008
I guess if that person has literally been watching anime for 25+ years...

I mean lets do the math.

A person who has been watching anime for 25 years and has 1,000 completed anime.

That gives a nice whole number of 40 anime per year.

Considering that OVAs, movies, shorts, and specials are also counted as that total....

It's not THAT much...
Feb 8, 2017 12:49 AM

Aug 2011
I've only seen a little over 200 and I wouldn't call myself a casual.

Honestly, it's a pointless label. Don't worry too much on it. There's nothing wrong with being a casual to begin with.
Feb 8, 2017 12:54 AM

Nov 2015
doesnt matter if you've seen 3000 shows or seconds, you can label yourself whatever you want if it helps you feel less guilty wasting your life watching anime
Feb 8, 2017 1:08 AM

Dec 2014
I've been watching anime on and off since the early 80's with over 750 completed but definitely think of myself as a "casual" in that it's just something I enjoy, but not something I live and breath.

So, yeah, I don't see why not.

@perje You may very well be on to something there...
Mundt73Feb 8, 2017 1:11 AM
"Sarcasm on the internet is more difficult to detect than dark matter"-- Stephen Hawking

Feb 8, 2017 1:20 AM

Feb 2016
1000 completed anime but still be a casual?
How’s that possible?
Feb 8, 2017 1:33 AM

Apr 2016
You're a casual if you choose a sorcerer as your first class or you use a bow. That's all there is to it.

Feb 8, 2017 2:14 AM

Jun 2014
No.

That makes no sense..... Zombie, you're smarter than that!
Feb 8, 2017 2:17 AM

Feb 2013
1000 "completions" then yeah

1000 tv series completions then not really..

but i woldnt say anime hours per day is the right metric for casualness.... and if youre avrage is closer to 2 hours that's like a lot @_@
Feb 8, 2017 2:23 AM

Jun 2012
Ununpentium said:
You're a casual if you choose a sorcerer as your first class or you use a bow. That's all there is to it.

Ain't it warrior and archer? Less newbie actually win their first game using int-type or AP user, so ain't it more technical to not use classes with higher versatility?

OT: Yes as long that 1000 were not reached within 1-2 years.
Feb 8, 2017 2:24 AM

Feb 2013
Dunno.
I think that the time you spend watching anime every day is more important, I usually spend somewhere in between 2 or 6 hours during week time, and 10+ during the weekend, and I've been doing this for more than 6 years.
No idea if that counts as a casual or not.
I used to watch more when I started though.
Feb 8, 2017 2:24 AM

Apr 2016
What do you gain from not being called a casual? there's no extra gain from being a casual or an elitist.
Feb 8, 2017 2:43 AM

Apr 2016
Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:
Ununpentium said:

Ain't it warrior and archer? Less newbie actually win their first game using int-type or AP user, so ain't it more technical to not use classes with higher versatility?

Nah, warrior is fine, since he's melee. It's all about dodging and attacking in a right moment, so archer and sorcerer are the most casual classes you could choose,since all you have to do is keep distance and shoot spells or arrows.

Feb 8, 2017 2:44 AM

Mar 2015
guys, what OP means is not elitist vs casual kind of things...

but simply "casual" viewer in original sense...

people who watch anime casually...

that's it...

Kagami said:
No.

That makes no sense..... Zombie, you're smarter than that!

JustALEX said:
I guess if that person has literally been watching anime for 25+ years...

I mean lets do the math.

A person who has been watching anime for 25 years and has 1,000 completed anime.

That gives a nice whole number of 40 anime per year.

Considering that OVAs, movies, shorts, and specials are also counted as that total....

It's not THAT much...

THIS! 1000 anime is not that much.. depend how many years you spend to acchive that...

well... why not just ask?

https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=70007
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 8, 2017 2:47 AM

Apr 2016
Ununpentium said:
Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:

Nah, warrior is fine, since he's melee. It's all about dodging and attacking in a right moment, so archer and sorcerer are the most casual classes you could choose,since all you have to do is keep distance and shoot spells or arrows.
Well, I guess it's not about classes, but just not using long distance weapons. If you choose being a sorcerer, but you use a melee weapon almost always, then I'm fine with it :)

Feb 8, 2017 2:48 AM

Apr 2016
Elitism is an attitude and a frame of mind, and should not be confused with the number of anime you've seen. You could have seen 50 anime and still be an elitist; on the other hand you could have seen a 1000 anime and still be a "casual".

The opposite of a casual watcher is a hardcore watcher and not an elitist. An anime elitist is someone who thoroughly believes that his taste is superior and that only what he deems good is actually good regardless of the number of anime he's seen.

So, a person who has seen 1000 anime over a relatively short period of time isn't a casual by any means.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Feb 8, 2017 2:51 AM
Aug 2016
Ulquiorra said:
I usually spend somewhere in between 2 or 6 hours during week time, and 10+ during the weekend, and I've been doing this for more than 6 years.

Where do you find all that time? That sounds crazy to me, I'd never be able to do that.
Feb 8, 2017 2:58 AM

Jun 2012
Ununpentium said:
Ununpentium said:
Well, I guess it's not about classes, but just not using long distance weapons. If you choose being a sorcerer, but you use a melee weapon almost always, then I'm fine with it :)

I guess you're right, I just accidentally labeled casuals and beginners the same.
Feb 8, 2017 2:59 AM

Feb 2013
AkiKitazawa said:
Ulquiorra said:
I usually spend somewhere in between 2 or 6 hours during week time, and 10+ during the weekend, and I've been doing this for more than 6 years.

Where do you find all that time? That sounds crazy to me, I'd never be able to do that.

It's not that hard, I usually wake up at 10 in the morning, from 10 to 13 I can watch anime for three hours if I'm in the mood, and in the evening, better said at night at 22 to 1 another three hours.
Weekends are different, because I go to bed at 4 in the morning and I usually spend the entire day in front of my laptop watching anime until I get bored and play a video game to get be back in the mood.
Feb 8, 2017 3:08 AM

Aug 2013
Depending on which casual.

If casual in sense of enjoying mainstream anime despite being mediocre in other aspect, then Im probably one of it.
Which opposite of it is critic / or people who love to analyse various part in anime.

If it casual in term of irregular / occasionally watching anime, then Im kinda 50/50.
I tend of to have long spread of watching anime OR playing games (currently anime)
I would say people that watching on weekly basic is more "hardcore" than me, although Im marathoner / binge watcher.

Probably best term would be "veteran" since I been watching anime since 17 years ago.
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Feb 8, 2017 3:12 AM

Sep 2013
I also think time frame is an important factor to consider. Over a thousand in 3-4 years is a lot, but reaching the 1000 mark after watching for 10+ years isn't as extreme. I think what anime make up that 1000 is important too. If it's mostly movies, short anime, stand-alone OVAS, that can add up a lot over time, but if that 1000 consists of multiple 100+ episode series and all seasons of a multiple long running anime that makes it another thing.
Feb 8, 2017 3:12 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Days means more than completed count. If you watched 1000 30-second ONAs idk if that's super impressive. You could watch that in a day in theory
Feb 8, 2017 3:14 AM

Feb 2016
Yes.
I mean anyone can call himself a casual - even if there are 1000+ completed titles.

If someone is watching Anime since his/her childhood for like 20+ years - of course there is a quite "big" list of completed shows, but still a casual watcher.
Feb 8, 2017 4:08 AM

Apr 2011
What if 80% of the 1000 were movies? That leaves 200 for TV shows, OVA, ONA, Specials, etc... Honestly, it really depends on the person. Take me, for example. I've got over 700 completed in a little under 9 years and have spend the equivalent of roughly 156 days watching anime.

Now compare that to IntroverTurtle, whose been watching for apparently roughly the same time, yet has almost 2000 completions and well over 800 days worth of hours spent watching anime, helped by the fact that he apparently rewatches the entirety of One Piece, (i.e. all the episodes, movies, ovas, specials, etc.) every year. Oh and he hasn't dropped a single anime, while I've got over 60 drops. Now would you really call me a hardcore anime fan if you were to compare me to Introver?
Feb 8, 2017 6:03 AM

Feb 2015
I don't know, probably not, probably yes, maybe if the sky is clear it will rain and probably if the sky is kinda dark-ish it will probably won't rain... Maybe, if the newborn cat might be female or male; I wouldn't know, unless I check it and confirm it.
Feb 8, 2017 6:06 AM
Jan 2016
yhunata said:
Now would you really call me a hardcore anime fan if you were to compare me to Introver?

I guess There are hardcores and there are complete maniacs. ;)
Feb 8, 2017 6:08 AM

Sep 2015
Of course they can be. If they only watch anime casually .... The sentence should speak for itself. It makes sense that a casual watcher would accrue a bigger list over the years. Them being consistent in their watching doesn't stop them from watching at a casual rate.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 8, 2017 6:33 AM
Jan 2017
zombie_pegasus said:
I know there's a sort of idea that casuals are people who haven't seen much and watch anime casually, but I know there are at least some definitions that would allow someone who has seen a lot to still be a casual. I've completed over 800 anime but some will still call me a casual since I only watch an hour or two a day.

To you is the term "casual" more about taste (liking mostly one genre), amount seen (less than 200 maybe), how much watched regularly (hour a day possibly), or something else?

people call you casual for watching an hour or 2 per day?? wtf, how much anime do these people you know watch??
Feb 8, 2017 6:58 AM

Apr 2015
I define a casual by this definition:

A) Does not understand their own tastes (preferences and enjoyment) in a way that they can communicate it to others.

B) Is not willing to actively learn anything about the medium.

C) Only relies on recommendations from others based on "It's cool/seasonal hype!"

D) Is unwilling to find anything wrong with a show.

If they fit three, or all four, of these definitions, I consider them to be casual.

Side-effect: In my experience, these people have rarely watched more then 50 titles.

Corollary: Including movies makes this a bit harder to judge. It is easier to tackle movies and short OVA's, but watching Akira, a Ghibli Film, and FLCL would easily be more casual then watching Gunbuster, Paprika, and Millennium Actress, wouldn't it?
- - - -
HaXXspetten said:
Days means more than completed count. If you watched 1000 30-second ONAs idk if that's super impressive. You could watch that in a day in theory

The day counter can be tricky, because watching shows at increased speeds really toys with that. One of my best friends on this site, @Xy, watches almost everything at 2x speed and it has inflated his watch time significantly.
- - - -
flannan said:
Somebody who has been watching for a very long time isn't a casual either (such a stable interest is pretty impressive on its own).

This can NOT be understated!
For example, I've not been a heavy hardcore fan of Godzilla and other Tokatsu films in general for at least 8 years now. But I still keep up to date on all the major films that release in the genre, can still relate common and uncommon knowledge about in-universe history, stats, and theories, and passively share an interest in it with others.
It wouldn't be hard to imagine this holding true for some anime fans also, particularly those who have stuck with the Big 3 since they began airing. I will always have massive respect to those who have stayed up-to-date with the Big 3 from start until conclusion (or present), and same with shows like Detective Connan and manga like Berserk, all which have ran for at least 15 years or longer.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 8, 2017 9:31 AM

Feb 2010
LoneWolf said:
I'm nearing 3k completed, but I don't consider myself any kid of elitist or w.e. I'm fairly casual as far as my opinions IMO. I dislike labels in general.

Let's be honest here, you drop like 20 shows each season after 1 episode with a 1/10. That's not casual behaviour :P.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 8, 2017 9:33 AM

Nov 2013
Why is the community so obsessed with those stupid labels and dick-measuring contests
Feb 8, 2017 9:42 AM

Feb 2010
Lollo36 said:
Why is the community so obsessed with those stupid labels and dick-measuring contests

Cause mine is bigger than yours, duh.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 8, 2017 4:53 PM

Aug 2009
Pullman said:
LoneWolf said:

Let's be honest here, you drop like 20 shows each season after 1 episode with a 1/10. That's not casual behaviour :P.

It would be elitist if I watched EVERYTHING from the season, but at least I'm willing to try the first ep of most shows. I'm casually just deciding to watch a few ;D

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 8, 2017 4:56 PM

Sep 2012
Roses are red
MAL icon is blue
I really think
It's time to stop too

-One Above All
Feb 8, 2017 5:33 PM

Dec 2016
Lollo36 said:

It's a thing in most communities. That doesn't make it less pointless and dumb. It also doesn't make the anime community less cancerous.
Feb 8, 2017 5:47 PM

Mar 2015
RP59 said:
Lollo36 said:

It's a thing in most communities. That doesn't make it less pointless and dumb. It also doesn't make the anime community less cancerous.

compare to gaming and sports fans, i think anime does less cacerous...still bad things anyways...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 8, 2017 6:14 PM

Dec 2016
Kuma said:

compare to gaming and sports fans, i think anime does less cacerous...still bad things anyways...

I agree, that's probably true. I've yet to hear about any anime hooliganism haha
Feb 8, 2017 6:26 PM

Oct 2015
quote @kamisama751

Being a causual or not has nothing to do with if you are critical or not. Casual only means you don't watch so much anime per time count compared to others. It is possible for a casual viewer having a very big list if (for example) he watched anime for twenty years. Being critical is also possible since anime is not the only consumable medium out there.
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Feb 8, 2017 6:31 PM

Apr 2015
Maybe i'm wrong but for me someone who has 1000 completed anime and a mean score over 8 is a casual.

But that's my point of view, you see it more clearly if you speak with the person.
Feb 8, 2017 6:40 PM

Feb 2015
yes, in general i would say that "casuals" ignore the flaws of anime, especially shows they like. meanwhile " elitists" are willing to address the flaws of shows even if they like the show. i would argue that those hold true weather the viewer has seen 10 shows or 10,000 shows, if they are not critical of the media they consume then they are most certainly a "casual"
ChadAznable0079Feb 8, 2017 6:45 PM
Feb 8, 2017 6:43 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
No one can be a casual or an elitist. It's just people letting all that talk go to their heads and makes me smh sometimes tbh.
Feb 9, 2017 1:22 PM

Jun 2016
I guess at that point they could fall into casual range and no one would say anything because they've seen sooo many titles ...
Feb 9, 2017 1:31 PM

Dec 2012
Casual or elitist is all in your head, other people may call you an elitist even if you're a casual and vice versa regardless of what you call yourself. I consider myself a 'casual' I guess, I'm willing to talk about flaws in anime and tear them to shreds, even shows I like, but at the end of the day I still enjoy eating shit.
Feb 9, 2017 4:14 PM

Oct 2015
gonna repeat my statement again

Being a causual or not has nothing to do with if you are critical or not. Casual only means you don't watch so much anime per time count compared to others. It is possible for a casual viewer having a very big list if (for example) he watched anime for twenty years. Being critical is also possible since anime is not the only consumable medium out there.
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Feb 9, 2017 4:26 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah they can, I mean, almost 500 completed shows, and I'm still casual as fuck. Why would that change when I reach the 1000 mark?

More topics from this board

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

2 by LostSpectre »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

136 by FanofAction »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
36 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 55 minutes ago

2 by LightWorker »»
36 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 7 hours ago

23 by Horshu »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.