Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2009 11:54 PM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I loved this movie! I loved the plot with Fiore, and I found the middle and ending to be quite a lot of fun to watch. Also, I thought both Moon Revenge and Power of Love were good songs.

✾✾✾ if only we could be reborn ✾✾✾
Jul 20, 2010 2:25 AM

Sep 2009
Think I have a soft spot for this film =^_^=
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Mar 21, 2011 3:50 PM

Aug 2010
My favorite from the three Sailor Moon films, I actually enjoyed this more than most Naruto films. The villain was being fooled the whole time XD.

I even bought it on DVD.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 20, 2011 12:49 AM

Sep 2008
I'm surprised how well it went for an one-hour movie.
Chibi-Usagi, not the pink one, was so adorable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2012 9:35 PM

Apr 2009
Good movie. Makes me want to rewatch the series.
Jul 25, 2012 9:58 AM
Mar 2008
I think this was a completely unnecessary and stupid film. Nostalgia for the end sequence aside, they shouldn't make a movie unless they have a solid idea backing it. They didn't have a solid backing for this. Also, the animation was REALLY bad. Worse than the series .. and this is supposed to be a movie?

I did like how the Sailor Soldiers had their own names chanted during their transformation sequence. I also liked the design of young Usagi.

I hated having another of those aliens. It made no sense with the original story from the first arc of Sailor Moon R. I also disliked how they again made using the crystal seem meaningless. Sailor Moon should be dead like four times from that thing..

I wouldn't hate it if it was just another episode. It'd just be a mediocre episode. But I expect a lot more from a movie. Promise of the Rose just didn't deliver.
Sep 18, 2012 7:36 PM

May 2010
The animation was worse than the series? You're pretty much objectively wrong on that one; the improvement in animation should be obvious to anyone with half an eye cell.
“Money can't buy dere”
May 9, 2013 9:45 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, the thing with the Moon Crystal, like the end of the first season, was unnecessary. I mean, what's the point in having an all powerful item that would cost the users life, if every damn time she uses it a deus ex machina happens? I mean, would it have killed the writers to drop some sort of foreshadowing that Fiore could save lives?

The movie as a whole was okay, but nothing really special. The backstory of Mamoru and Fiore sounded interesting, but it wasn't very well explored. Also, I hate when these type of films completely contradict what we know from the main series, like how Usagi gave Mamoru the flower here. What cheapens all of this is that you know the TV series will just forget all this ever happened.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 24, 2013 11:16 AM
Mar 2008
Seabury said:
The animation was worse than the series? You're pretty much objectively wrong on that one; the improvement in animation should be obvious to anyone with half an eye cell.

When I saw it, it was markedly worse. Especially the facial animation. From what I recall, they looked derpy a LOT in this movie. Please, feel free to prove me wrong rather than attacking me like a child.
Jul 29, 2013 11:58 AM
Mar 2011
Honestly, I agree... This movie was not that good. The use of the Silver Crystal was completely unnecessary, and there are a lot of things in this movie that went against what was already shown in the TV show. I didn't really understand Fiore very much; throughout the movie, he made comments about how Usagi was "deceiving" Mamoru, and I really can't figure out why he kept saying that.

Also, I know this is a petty gripe, but it doesn't even fit in with the TV series timeline-wise, either. Seriously, when exactly did this movie happen?

And, regarding the better animation... The only thing I really noticed that was done better than the show was the fact that the hair on some of the characters was shinier. That's pretty much it...
Dec 15, 2013 4:07 PM

Feb 2012
One the best movies i´ve seen. The end made me cry, it was so emotional.
Loved it!
Mar 9, 2014 11:39 AM

Apr 2010
Manu_ said:
One the best movies i´ve seen. The end made me cry, it was so emotional.
Loved it!

I agree. I almost cried in the end. <3
Aug 28, 2014 1:28 AM

Jul 2008
This was pretty good I thought, however one thing. Did anyone else think Fiore looked exactly like Ail and An? I mean they didn't really try to create a new look villain. However he did see right through the Scout's transformation from the get go. He broke one of the cardinal rules of the show, which is fine because its a silly rule.

Other than that complaint a solid 7/10.
May 9, 2015 11:01 PM

May 2010
Meh. I guess it wasn't too bad. It was about the same quality as any other Sailor Moon filler. I did enjoy seeing a younger Usagi though :)
Aug 10, 2015 3:50 AM

Jul 2013
Sailor Moon works well when it focuses on comedy but when you do a movie like this that is almost wholly serious the end result is shit.

The movie isn't even hour long yet it still manages to drag.
Apr 14, 2016 12:53 PM
Apr 2016
From what I have been told from the net Fiores design was inspired by Ail and Ann but is not supposed to be the same race (?) (kinda like how the most popular aliens in american movies are green or grey with large black eyes)

Why Fiore hates Usagi and resents her as Mamorus girlfriend, well, he was in love with Mamoru ...it's pretty obvious ;) ....or it is because of the Xenian Flower that took over his weak mind, and controlled him.

As for the timeline;
"Due to Chibiusa's inclusion in the main cast and her knowledge of the Sailor Senshi's identities, and also Mamoru and Usagi's intact relationship, this story most likely took place after episode 77 and before episode 82 since Chibiusa was still in the present".
Oct 24, 2016 3:52 PM

Oct 2010
Hakuneii said:
Also, the animation was REALLY bad. Worse than the series .. and this is supposed to be a movie?

Hakuneii said:
Seabury said:

When I saw it, it was markedly worse. Especially the facial animation. From what I recall, they looked derpy a LOT in this movie. Please, feel free to prove me wrong rather than attacking me like a child.

@Ultimate19th and I both felt the animation was better in the movie, referring to the various new action bits and rotoscoped swooping shots, and the effectively deployed 1993 CG in the attack on the alien seed pod asteroid, a sequence which blew me away. I certainly didn't notice any increased "derpiness" in the faces; I thought they looked about the same as in the show (which was fairly often derpy, but often noticeably well-drawn in serious moments).

In particular, although I started watching Sailor Moon this year, in 2000 I saw an ad on Toonami that included a rotoscoped shot that swoops around the four inner planetary senshi. It now turns out to have been from this movie, during the Earth reentry at the end. Six seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrorwLB11cg It's been an icon in my memory since I first saw it - I always remember it when I think of the best way to show a fighting team in media. The show had some awesome stuff, but nothing near this level. Even the shot flying onto Ami's computer was given the same treatment. After watching all of the first two seasons, this movie is an absolute smorgasbord of awesome new animations and music. Shame the movie's story isn't worth it.

From MAL reviews:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/531/Bishoujo_Senshi_Sailor_Moon_R__The_Movie/reviews

@ktulu007:
"The art is good. The character designs look as nice as ever. The action sequences flow better than they do in most of the series with some of the stock attack animations being replaced by more active scenes, although there are certainly plenty of the stock animations present. The backgrounds are lively and nicely detailed, certainly moreso than was present in the first series at least."

@RICEA42991:
"Art was typical Sailor Moon style, but some scenes were very well drawn and given detail. Especially the ending battle scene, so many things were going on at once; that art I believe made the scene much more moving."

@Senna-kachili:
"[I'd] never see it before, and it is beautiful. Fighting actions are better than seasons."

All the opinions I've seen are either that the quality stayed the same, or improved.
nDroaeOct 24, 2016 3:58 PM
Dec 5, 2016 6:16 PM

Jun 2016
I was watching this and enjoying it too, and then I thought: WAIT HOW ARE THEY BREATHING IN SPACE
May 7, 2017 4:37 PM

Apr 2017
It the best Sailor moon movie ever.
Fiore and Mamoru relationship was interesting.
It may have been the basis of Kaworu and Shinji's love.
Fiore's promise to Mamoru and the friendship they had was wonderful.
Fiore's feeling to Mamoru was genuine to the end by giving his life force to Mamoru's love Usagi which caused him to reduce to the same age when he met Mamoru and then he returns to space to live happily in peace knowing that he fulfilled his promise to Mamoru and knowing that his best friend is happy.
Jun 13, 2017 7:09 AM

Jan 2013
But what's with Fiore now after this story? ;-;
Usagi is so awesome I love her so much. ♥♥
Mamoru in Tuxedo Kamen form looks so weird without his mask and glasses.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Jun 18, 2017 5:28 PM

Aug 2007
After just watching Crystal, watching this movie makes me realize even more what the remake was missing. Although it's really cheesy, the flashbacks the sailor scouts have with Usagi and even the part in the beginning of them squabbling gives it charm.

The movie itself was pretty average filler, but it is very classic for it's time. It's feel good content with your iconic characters. Nothing more, nothing less. 5/10

Aug 31, 2017 9:10 AM

Mar 2016
Did they try to make a CG asteroid?

It was a fine movie I guess... It wasn't as good as the main series but, yeah, was fine.
Still, don't get how Usagi was able to power up with the "Moon Crystal Power" if she didn't had the Crystal at that exact point but it's ok.
Dec 19, 2017 10:27 AM

Aug 2013
About what I'd except from a late 80's-early 90's Toei movie, that being said. This one is accelerated above the pack, for keeping that trademark Sailor Moon humor and charm.
Sep 15, 2018 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
how is it that this cheesy af movie made me feel real sad emotions? i cant
Sep 17, 2018 11:29 AM
Nov 2015
Oh god Ikuhara!!! It would be so great to see what he could do w the SuperS Movie. Too bad it's his only film, only 60 min :(
Everything looks so crisp. the colorful campy textures help Sailor Moon not age at all. The transform sequences look gorgeous. The 1st time Tuxedo appears is LOL.
And a little bit of homo. The way Fiore carries Mamo in his arms is just..... Mamo is such a bottom, he should be w a strong man anyway
Sean_NessmanSep 17, 2018 11:33 AM
Sep 26, 2018 7:56 AM
Apr 2018
I didn't like Fiore as much but the whole scene on the asteroid was pretty cool.
Sep 30, 2018 2:52 AM

Mar 2017
Holy crap, this was awesome! I did not expect this movie to be as good as it was, it really blew me away. The only point of critique I had towards the end was that we didn't get to actually see them kiss... but guess what, this movie read my goddamn mind and in the last minute we finally got the kissing scene!

It was cool to see another bold move with some homosexual undertones, though of course it's always the evil guys who are gay... I really, really liked the comedy is the first 10 minutes, it was hilarious and sweet at the same time. But the best thing about this movie is the fact that it seemed to be on a bigger budget than the series, the fight scenes were really awesome and even brutal at times. It was also great to see the sailor soldiers FINALLY use their old abilities and attacks again, like Rei's ability to break curses or Ami and her Google glasses. The updated OST for the transformation scenes and other updated songs were awesome as well! I felt thoroughly hyped from beginning to end.

I think Fiore was the first one to actually recognize Usagi and even Mamoru in their disguises! Not that that's much of an achievement, but it's funny that no one else seems to ever see through that. :P I also noticed that this isn't even the first evil plant alien guy... also, since when do Luna and Artemis know of countless other civilizations of sentient humanoids in the universe? So far I got the feeling that the sailor soldiers only operate in the solar system, hence their naming conventions. Luna should work to build a United Federation of Planets or something.

Fun fact I noticed: Ami's computer interface was in German! I think she wanted to study abroad in Germany in an earlier episode? So I guess it's safe to assume she is fluent in German, which is why she maybe changed the language settings on that thing. :P

We got some actually interesting backstory, like where Mamoru's rose fetish comes from, and this movie really showcased the friendship between the five girls. I only though having Chibi-Usa there was kinda unnecessary, but they were wise enough to not put her in the focus of things. God, this movie was awesome! It's my favorite thing of the franchise so far, and after the very lackluster Sailor Moon R season I finally look forward to see more amazing stuff like this! I actually cried while watching. I LOVE IT!
Feb 7, 2019 5:54 AM
Jun 2016
I like the improved soundtrack for this film, and it's quite amusing as well. The style and humour is very Sailor Moon. Although I did find some parts bizarre. Like the fight scene with the flower monster had such a "bright" sounding background music, lol. And especially the part where Chibiusa was waking up Usagi by making her hold her breath. Like, there was a good 17 seconds of still (or almost still) image. I get that they have tons of time since it's a movie, but still. Ah, whatever. I just found it a little weird. Chibiusa was also pretty supportive in this movie (which is pretty cool!).

This movie was great at making us fear flowers. Nah, not really (you guys get my point). I guess the vegetarians do have a point. We have to eat our plants before they start draining our energy! Fiore also looks like the villains from the 1st arc of Sailor Moon R.
Aug 10, 2019 2:02 PM

Aug 2008
That cg asteroid scene looks like it came straight out of an old video game.
Nov 7, 2019 3:31 PM

Dec 2018
Hakuneii said:
I think this was a completely unnecessary and stupid film. Nostalgia for the end sequence aside, they shouldn't make a movie unless they have a solid idea backing it. They didn't have a solid backing for this. Also, the animation was REALLY bad. Worse than the series .. and this is supposed to be a movie?

I did like how the Sailor Soldiers had their own names chanted during their transformation sequence. I also liked the design of young Usagi.

I hated having another of those aliens. It made no sense with the original story from the first arc of Sailor Moon R. I also disliked how they again made using the crystal seem meaningless. Sailor Moon should be dead like four times from that thing..

I wouldn't hate it if it was just another episode. It'd just be a mediocre episode. But I expect a lot more from a movie. Promise of the Rose just didn't deliver.

This is exactly how I feel about the movie, I was expecting more. Though I was impressed by the animation quality which was nice.
Apr 12, 2020 11:19 PM
Jul 2011
Yeah this movie was pretty average, but doesn't mean I didn't enjoy watching it.

I don't understand Fiore recognising Sailor Moon as Usagi instantly but wasn't as surprised when he connected Tuxedo Mask to Mamoru (even though Tuxedo Mask actually has his eyes covered which is usually what makes it harder to recognise someone visually).

What I am upset about is Fiore's character design. I wouldn't have minded if he was the same alien race as Ail and An. That didn't bother me much, but if that were the case I wish they had explored his history on how he got separated from Ail and An. If he was supposed to only be inspired by Ail and An's alien race then why the heck does his human form look basically like Ail's human form!!?? Actually, same alien race or not, it was absolutely mind shattering to see somebody who's supposed to be a completely different character look like another character in both that character's identity forms. Like c'mon, you just basically stole Ail's character design and renamed him Fiore. That fails to show creativity and honestly shows laziness to create a completely new character instead.
Apr 29, 2020 9:10 PM

Apr 2008
Pretty good movie, but they completely forgot they could teleport. I would have preferred this over the doom tree arc.
Dec 30, 2021 11:52 PM

Dec 2020
After just finishing SM Crystal and then coming back to watch this movie, it made me appreciate the 90’s versions more than I did before. I was pretty annoyed with Usagi, Chibiusa and Mamoru in the 90’s version and can say I enjoy Chibiusa and Mamo much more in Crystal, but you can’t beat 90’s Usagi comedic sass! The opening scene where she wants Mamoru to kiss her in public was hilarious.

I really liked the music, too. Enjoyable watch.
Apr 20, 2022 4:42 PM

Mar 2020
While its not going to win any Oscars for anything (except maybe the soundtrack) I thought it was a decent little film. The animation is really good (surprisingly given how often the show reuses animation), the plot is pretty interesting and grand in scale and the villain has more depth than the average villain of the week and even some of the big bads like Beryl because of that whole possession thing and he even became a tragic figure at the end. The theme of friendship was a good enough throughline and the finale was pretty hype. It is far better than it ever really should have been, considering its a non-canon tie in movie.

May 13, 2022 1:13 AM

Aug 2017
Was expecting more from Ikuni but that was a nice watch anyway. Of course all those (homo)erotic subtexts lol. Given Fiore's seiyuu and the themes, this looked like a proto-Black Rose Arc from Utena.
St0rmbladeMay 13, 2022 1:28 AM
Jun 28, 2022 9:50 PM

Jul 2009
Finally finished

Probably the BEST Animated Sailor Moon. The animation specific to this movie is just soo good!!

BD is even better!!

This is directed by Ikuhara, Kunihiko who did Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum.

The fact the theme is Rose proves it!

This scene shows how Mamoru already met Usagi back then. I think this is canon since I do remember Crystal showing this when Mamoru was in a hospital due to his parents crash.

Usagi is the reason Mamoru became Tuxedo Kamen!

We will never ever have this kind of scenes ever again.

Too many trash has invaded the medium.

Fiore and Ail shares the same VA (Midorikawa, Hikaru). So I got confused as to why I felt I've seen this alien in the TV series.

I also love using "Moon Revenge" as the main theme song. It fits soo good!!

The final scene really reminds me of Char's Counterattack (Meteor falling down).

I will watch Sailor Moon S Movie tomorrow. I just finished the series last night and that is probably my favorite season so far.

I'm expecting good things with Super movie!

But for now, R Movie is freaking good!

Though it's a bit short (1 hour), it's still an amazing work!

9/10!

SomaHeirJun 29, 2022 9:25 PM
Dec 1, 2022 1:29 PM

Nov 2012
Enjoyed watching this, but i'll have to say, gay representation is awful.
I detest that common trope of a gay villain who's ready to risk it all for his straight crush, but i can tolerate it if it's done well, which isn't the case here where the antagonist has no personality other than wanting to steal his crush away. like, come the fuck on lmao.

6/10
Nov 22, 2023 6:46 PM

Jul 2012
Funny n dramatic as always 😂😭
Promoting lgb* as always 😡

More topics from this board

» Polish dub cast

kamil88 - Nov 9, 2015

0 by kamil88 »»
Nov 9, 2015 8:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.