Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 13, 2007 12:32 PM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh, my, god! I LOVE THIS ANIME

and I've only even seen the first episode!

I love the cinematography! And... oh, I hope nobody kills me for this, but... Funimation did a good job on the dubbing!

Dec 15, 2007 9:09 AM

Dec 2007
I liked this anime too. I watched the first 12 episodes on DVD and it does have the best dubbing job of any anime I've ever seen.

Jun 21, 2008 7:48 PM

Jan 2008
i love this anime too! in this anime, there is very little to complain about the dubbing.
Jun 27, 2008 10:05 AM

Jun 2008
Furuba's episode 1 is great! And after the first episode you'd definitely look and watch for the next episode until you finally reach the last episode.

Furuba's the best anime ever! Loved it! ^-^
Apr 27, 2009 1:28 PM

Mar 2009
Good start I think I'm going to enjoy this anime.

Jul 22, 2009 9:59 PM

Sep 2008
What a fun episode - sad, heartwarming, and hilarious.

My favorite part was when those 3 random girls did some really crazy love dance thing completely out of nowhere.

I'll definitely be watching some more of this series...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2009 4:05 AM

Jun 2008
I disliked the op song, it was too slow/boring for my taste, but overall it was nice ep. Accidental hugging at the end was hilarious xD
Sep 16, 2009 1:24 PM

Sep 2008
I've heard lots of good things about this anime, so I'm finally going to watch it. x]

I really liked the way it started, for one. It wasn't too slow and there wasn't a dull moment; you're just launched right into the storyline, and that's how I like it.

Hope this is going to be good. It seems promising, so of course I'll keep watching!
Sep 17, 2009 3:34 PM
Sep 2009
Oh wow...i've enjoyed this volume so much :) i can't wait to read volume 2 :) and the rest!
The story is so sweet :) and just sucks me in and i feel im in the story with Honda :) which i love! She's such a lovely character she's somewhat lost in the world but has a big heart and mind on the world and i love that :D
Nov 8, 2009 10:46 AM
Sep 2009
I think i'm gonna like this anime, even if the eps. are short.
Nov 11, 2009 9:56 PM

Jun 2009
Rofl, i like the style of this anime, and the comedy had me laughing several times. Hope it can continue to deliver as good as the first episode! Didn't really like the OP or ED, was just too "gentle" for my tastes lol.
Dec 4, 2009 1:19 PM

Mar 2009
5, it was really great and funny and sad too T___T i am in love with this anime and first ep >.<
Jan 11, 2010 8:18 AM

Jan 2010
i love it ....is so funny and great...XD

Jan 12, 2010 4:09 PM
Nov 2009
Hehehe, I love their expressions when they turn into animals! Funnyyy!~♥

This anime seems very promising :)

Jun 3, 2010 9:55 PM
Feb 2009
this show is effign wierd
Sep 27, 2010 1:57 AM
Sep 2010
Soooooooo interesting!!!
Did you see Yuki's face when Kyo turned into a cat?
Oct 1, 2010 8:20 PM

Jun 2009
This is so cute! I love that she fell one everyone and turned them into animals lol.

Feb 6, 2011 8:04 PM

Aug 2009
5/5
great start love the manga now I'm going to love the anime~

Feb 6, 2011 8:04 PM

Aug 2009
5/5
great start love the manga now I'm going to love the anime~

Jul 18, 2011 12:22 AM
Sep 2010
Am I the only one who thinks Yuki's dubbed voice is really creepy?
Aug 15, 2011 12:54 PM

Aug 2011
I really love this anime ... the only bad thing is that school's tomorrow, so I can't watch more episodes ):
Jun 19, 2012 11:51 PM

Oct 2008
This story is amazing as always. The first time I saw this was on TV. Really nice to watch it again.
Jun 30, 2012 1:04 PM

Jun 2012
I love this anime. Its my favorite of all time :)

I wish they would have continued the series to follow the manga makes me sad that they stopped it.
Jul 8, 2012 2:57 AM
Mar 2012
shigure = hilarious

the moment when tohru came out from the tent ..
Jul 27, 2012 3:57 PM

Jun 2012
I think this was one of the best first episodes ive seen in awhile!

6/5
EL. PHY. CONGROO.

Oct 6, 2012 2:11 AM
Mar 2012
himtay2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks Yuki's dubbed voice is really creepy?

NO you don't. I started to watch it now and in every episode I tried to see Yuki as a boy but couldn't 'cos his voice is a girl even the first time that I saw him I thought he was definately a girl. Like there are not enough japanese guys for represent his voice :P
Oct 30, 2012 6:49 PM

May 2012
Quite epic start of this Anime with some twist in the story as well, the main concept seems quite nice, some humour here and there and quite nice personality's for the seen characters and even an unique character development of a group of people being actually animals that are in human form but will switch back when they get hugged!

Quite interesting episode, definitely very lovely lets see what the whole Anime will bring us!
Feb 28, 2013 5:55 AM

Jan 2012
Finally decided to watch this. Well, I have to say I had a really good laugh.

Jun 23, 2013 8:41 PM

Jan 2010
Just finished. manga and started watching the anime. Everything seems so nice and cute, love the OST. ^ ^ The characters voices aren't the way i imagined it...Still can't get over Yuki having a girly voice....
Nov 26, 2013 7:19 AM
Nov 2013
this is a strange strange anime. someone suggested it to me saying it's a wonderful comedy. i just don't see it :/
Mar 1, 2014 8:20 AM

Aug 2012
I watched this anime over 7 years ago but never finished it, I was afraid it might disappoint me if I watched it again but I thought it was hilarious.
Mar 13, 2014 4:31 PM

Jan 2014
I kinda like the yellow arrows.
Tohru could really grow to be
my all-time favorite character
and the 1st episode's superb!
Apr 27, 2014 5:44 PM

Jun 2013
I finally got around to re-watching this. It's been a year since I first saw this anime and man, I've forgotten so much. I love Fruits Basket!!!
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Apr 28, 2014 12:40 AM

Mar 2013
I am not a fan of Shoujo by any means, and had low hopes for this.. Boy that was a powerful first episode though. My heart was heavy watching it, Tohru has had such a sad life losing both her parents and living in a tent... The sad and soothing vibe and atmosphere, accentuated by the music, really made it hit home.

I initially liked Shigure, but then was stunned by how he was laughing non-stop at Tohru's plight> After watching the next episode my view on him has improved, but that still was questionable on his part.

Tohru is a surprisingly strong person being able to persevere through her circumstances, reminds me slightly of a female version of Harima from School Rumble. She is cute and very sweet. Her VA is actually Eri from School Rumble (also Hanekawa from Monogatari among other famous roles) which i didn't catch from her voice since its pretty different here.

Yuki is really nice, i definitely like the character. Sure he is extremely feminine looking, and with a girl's voice to boot. I'm normally not overly fond of this, but its to be expected that shoujo bishonens would occasionally get this treatment.

Kyo its hard to get an opinion of even after watching the first 2 opinions. He seems the most manly of the bunch, and the most wild.

Either way a good bunch of MC, and some interesting Support. Add a solid plot, and a lighthearted but somber feel to the anime, and it has potential. I'm hoping this will be the best Shoujo I've seen (not saying much) and if I'm liking it will be a poor man's school rumble or a shoujo version of school rumble.
Apr 28, 2014 12:43 AM

Apr 2014
SlickDragon said:
I am not a fan of Shoujo by any means, and had low hopes for this.. Boy that was a powerful first episode though. My heart was heavy watching it, Tohru has had such a sad life losing both her parents and living in a tent... The sad and soothing vibe and atmosphere, accentuated by the music, really made it hit home.

I initially liked Shigure, but then was stunned by how he was laughing non-stop at Tohru's plight> After watching the next episode my view on him has improved, but that still was questionable on his part.

Tohru is a surprisingly strong person being able to persevere through her circumstances, reminds me slightly of a female version of Harima from School Rumble. She is cute and very sweet. Her VA is actually Eri from School Rumble (also Hanekawa from Monogatari among other famous roles) which i didn't catch from her voice since its pretty different here.

Yuki is really nice, i definitely like the character. Sure he is extremely feminine looking, and with a girl's voice to boot. I'm normally not overly fond of this, but its to be expected that shoujo bishonens would occasionally get this treatment.

Kyo its hard to get an opinion of even after watching the first 2 opinions. He seems the most manly of the bunch, and the most wild.

Either way a good bunch of MC, and some interesting Support. Add a solid plot, and a lighthearted but somber feel to the anime, and it has potential. I'm hoping this will be the best Shoujo I've seen (not saying much) and if I'm liking it will be a poor man's school rumble or a shoujo version of school rumble.

In the dubs Tohru also has same dubbed voice actor as maka from soul eater.
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Apr 29, 2014 5:28 PM

Mar 2013
TobiOrNotTobi said:

In the dubs Tohru also has same dubbed voice actor as maka from soul eater.

I only briefly checked out the dub for this here and there, I am pretty anti-dubs generally. That being said I am familiar with Laura Bailey (as Tohru), not from Soul Eater which i hope to never watch, but from her much more famous role as young Trunks from DBZ. I have also heard her as Keiko from Yu Yu Hakusho (have watched both multiple times in proper japanese, but due to my female i have seen these in english dub as well).
Jan 19, 2015 11:34 AM
Jan 2015
I love it so far! I have watched 4 episodes, and I love it already :)
Really great for a beginner anime watcher... this one I definitely have to finish!
Jun 9, 2015 11:32 AM

Jan 2012
Is he a girl or a guy ,lol dat part when they turned to animals.

Aug 11, 2015 10:04 AM

Dec 2012
That ending, holy smokes this is hilarious. Everything about this first episode was solid, a very good first impression. I really like the OP/ED, very soothing and cute. Tooru seems really precious so far, and is that an early Yui Horie I hear? Cha-ching, double score.

Seems I've been on a shoujo streak lately and shows like this remind me why.
Dec 14, 2015 5:18 PM

Aug 2013
A dog, a cat and a rat? That sure seem like good match. I don't know if there is a member of the family for each animals, but if so, whose idea was it to reunite them all in the same house...

It was a good start. The three boys seem interesting. Yuki seem very manipulative and Shigure sly. Don't know about the other guy since he barely appeared. Tooru, well... She's just normal I guess. She remind me of Tenma in some way from School Rumble.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 31, 2015 11:12 AM

Aug 2013
Needed a change of pace after finishing Berserk, and this was a really quick first episode, changing tone at the drop of a dime.
Jan 2, 2016 4:02 PM

May 2015
I can already tell you: if she ends up with the mouse guy I am going to be SOOOOOO ticked off. I hate those mysterious types. I'M ROOTING FOR YOU, CAT-BOY! GET THE GIRL!
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Sep 22, 2016 9:53 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty solid first episode. Kind of Ranma-esque since they're cursed to turn into animals.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 15, 2019 12:42 AM

Dec 2015
Horie Yui playing the heroine ! How nostalgic... I didn't become a fan of her when I discovered her in Love Hina and this in 2004 and never understood how she grew so much in popularity up to the 2010s but hearing her again here, she's more than okay actually.

Ok.. now I'm sure of the major difference between both TV series. People said the two episodes were identical, but it's only true events-wise. The presentation is highly different. While you can imagine people with a vision behind this 1st episode, thinking about how they could express the comic on a TV screen for the best, it's not the case with the 2019 version that feels more like a cold order.

Besides, the comedy element is better integrated here, just like I thought while I was watching the new adaptation. It feels like an actual part of the "atmosphere".

4/5 Although I can't express it well, it was quite enlightening to rewatch it AFTER the 2019 ep. (watching it right before would have only be detrimental`)

@CodeBlazeFate @FMmatron I hope you'll like this work at least as much as the current show
Rei_IIIApr 15, 2019 12:53 AM
Jun 7, 2019 3:07 PM

Oct 2012
Watching this prior to the remake and so far I don't understand where the hype is coming from.

The plot is just ordinary, it wasn't bad but not good either. Somehow it felt way too goofy at times.. no I don't mind the comedy but the slapstick is not my cup of tea (even though I appreciate it wasn't as angsty as it could have been). At least there were some dark understones hidden beneath the facade but I can't see more than classic reverse harem so far.

Also, why Yuki is voiced by the female is beyond me (even for a mouse). At least other seiyuu are good be it Horie Yui or Tomokazu Seki. Not sure what to think about the characters and their rivality though, I sense some obvious tropes incoming.
Jul 4, 2019 6:16 PM

Nov 2012
Tohru has such a positive demeanor despite having gone through such hardships makes me really like her already, there's an underlying depth to her, there's glimpses of her possibly just putting on a happy front so it'd be interesting to see if they go there.

The comedy is charming, the art is very soulful,liked the cinematography, like the slightly sad feeling slow OP. Hmm really liking this based on this first episode alone, sad to know ahead of time this adaptation is incomplete but do plan to watch the 2019 afterwords at some point I only hope it can keep the charm this first episode showed.
Sep 13, 2020 11:32 AM

Mar 2016
Really enjoyed that first episode: funny, cute and moving. I am curious about the new adaptation.
Jan 6, 2021 2:37 PM

Dec 2007
very interesting first episode, love the cutness and directing, though the OST was little weird.

most of the characters is likeable already, except that last one to appear since he just...appeared.
Jan 8, 2021 10:17 PM
Jan 2021
I loved the first episode it was beautiful
Jan 22, 2021 9:02 AM
May 2020
For me I didn’t like it. It felt like an anime version of twilight it kinda felt like a chic flick. But I do understand that not everyone can like the same thing so I have to admit I like the concept of this anime but it just is cringe.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 25 Discussion

Alicia3000 - May 7, 2009

45 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 20, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 6 Discussion

Zerosbakainu - Sep 15, 2008

34 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 9, 9:12 AM

» Is there any reason to start with this version rather than the remake?

herofelix77 - Jun 20, 2021

20 by wildhood »»
Mar 7, 6:54 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 20 Discussion

bluegummiworms - Dec 25, 2008

26 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 29, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 12 Discussion

Zerosbakainu - Sep 22, 2008

25 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 25, 6:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.