Forum Settings
Forums

What's your opinion on "Open for interpretation?"

New
Feb 9, 2014 6:06 PM
Apr 2013
This might be a kind of pointless question... but whatever

I see a lot of anime that have parts of the story (usually the ending) left "open for interpretation" in which people pull their own meanings out of it. It's usually ambiguous and people come up with many different ideas of what happened. Example of this would be the End of Evangelion, and from what I hear, Angel's Egg.

Some people think that it's a lazy excuse for being unable to create a definite ending, and some people love the ability to pull one's own meaning from it. What's your opinion?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 9, 2014 6:12 PM

Nov 2013
Sometimes it is well used, other times it serves nothing more than to leave me with plot-blue-balls.
Feb 9, 2014 6:12 PM
Nov 2008
Open for interpretation.
Feb 9, 2014 6:17 PM

Jul 2011
Make your guess
Feb 9, 2014 6:19 PM

Apr 2013
Radioskpup said:
Sometimes it is well used, other times it's just laziness

Agree with this after my fix.

A perfect example:

Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai wo was a cliche, yet enjoyable shinigami manga. , until the end where thins started to get really heated and awesome. We were presented with a cool character backstory and an interesting mystery for the mc to solve. I was all excited to see how, how in the world, the story would be resolved in just three chapters!

The answer:
SPOILER
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shinigamisama_ni_saigo_no_onegai_o/c018/33.html

Yes it's a spoiler, but not really. The last page of the manga. Notice how it says "Please try to think about who the culprit is." on the bottom right hand corner.

DON'T FUCKING BULLSHIT ME! The mangaka just got really fucking lazy and quit, slapping on that pathetic excuse for a page at the end.
MushmallowFeb 9, 2014 6:25 PM
Feb 9, 2014 6:25 PM

Feb 2014
Cop out
Feb 9, 2014 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
It's a nifty way to yank viewers into discussing what exactly happened at the end. Sometimes it works well, on the other hand, discussion can be precarious if it backfires.
Feb 9, 2014 6:49 PM

Nov 2012
Not exactly a fan of stuff that's open to interpretation and I like my endings to be definite.
Feb 9, 2014 6:53 PM

Sep 2010
If it's handled well then I don't really mind but if they bullshit it there's a high chance for me to dislike it.
Feb 9, 2014 7:00 PM

Dec 2013
I've only seen one (Phantom Requiem) and I thought it was crap:

My guess is that most are impish/troll devices used by writers, who then sit back and laugh their asses off at threads running a hundred pages deep. But idk, I haven't seen any good ones yet...
DouluoFeb 9, 2014 7:17 PM
Feb 9, 2014 7:03 PM

Jan 2013
TheGrandSage23 said:
Cop out
Its either this or there wasnt enough in the budget to create a proper ending. Only exception I know of is NGE mainly because the director is probably the only one who can explain that ending.
Feb 9, 2014 7:05 PM
Sep 2011
It feels lazy when the writers just tell you to come up with your own interpretation of how something ends. Like they just typed out some mess, sat back in their easy chairs and said "Do our work for us."

Especially if the show has lots of symbolism, like Utena or Evangelion. Open for interpenetration is the leading cause of 2deep4U.
Feb 9, 2014 7:13 PM
Sep 2013
Sometimes it's done well, but they just bullshit it most of the time.
The end is nigh

Feb 9, 2014 7:17 PM

Jan 2010
"Open for interpretation" endings are nice in shows that are made for analysis, where you're supposed to draw your own conclusion based on your own experiences and whatnot. It's damn hard to pull off though.

Otherwise, it just robs viewers of a conclusion. Sometimes it's to leave it open to another season, other times it's done for reasons of DEEPNESS. Either ways, it's a game of keep away with the ending, and that sucks.
Feb 9, 2014 7:18 PM

May 2013
Endings like that are very lame, unless if they're used to hint at another season or something...
Feb 9, 2014 7:24 PM

Aug 2013
This question is nonsensical because all endings are open for interpretation.

All stories--all good ones at least--are vehicles for creating interpretations. This might be one of THE most important facts about them. Let me let Umberto Eco help me here:

A narrator should not supply interpretations of his work; otherwise he would not have written a novel, which is a machine for generating interpretations.
-Umberto Eco

That quote was for novels but it works for any kind of fiction. I tend to prefer endings which leave things open. People who want everything explained to them...you're missing the purpose of fiction.
Feb 9, 2014 7:59 PM

Dec 2012
Heredity said:
Open for interpretation.
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Feb 9, 2014 8:03 PM

Aug 2013
It can work for certain scenarios, where a debate would be interesting

I want to write the author an angry letter if it's pointlessly open, some romance will do this and I hate it...
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Feb 9, 2014 8:06 PM

Jan 2014
I like them in movies, not an actual series.
Feb 9, 2014 8:07 PM

Jul 2012
Radioskpup said:
Sometimes it is well used, other times it serves nothing more than to leave me with plot-blue-balls.

i think that about sums it up. sometimes you are left with a great wondering and walk away with fantastic interpretations.

other times its just fucking stupid. i have a love/hate relationship with Gantz. I mean c'moon
Feb 9, 2014 8:38 PM

Sep 2013
Its shit. Absolute shit.
Feb 10, 2014 12:43 AM

Dec 2013
Hit or miss. Sometimes the lines blur but if its not well done, its usually a miss...
Feb 10, 2014 12:45 AM
May 2010
I dont mind it if a lot of stuff is left open, as long as the bigger, most important stuff is not. Leaving major parts of the plot open at the end just irritates me.
Worships Asparagus.
Feb 10, 2014 12:47 AM

Jan 2014
Depends. It always depends on something... But sometimes it becomes terribly confusing how to interpret an ending, like in NGE for example.
Feb 10, 2014 1:19 AM

May 2010
Proust said:
I've only seen one (Phantom Requiem) and I thought it was crap:

My guess is that most are impish/troll devices used by writers, who then sit back and laugh their asses off at threads running a hundred pages deep. But idk, I haven't seen any good ones yet...

phantom's final scene pissed me off. it felt like an easy way out for the writers because they didnt have to actually think of a proper and more fitting ending.

reminds me of the Wolfs Rain ending..which wasnt really the ending because there was a 4 ep OVA which acts a s a seqauel that is supposed to be the real ending but i havent seen the OVA to this day cause i really didnt care..for me the story was over.
Feb 10, 2014 1:34 AM

Apr 2012
No because I don't enjoy pretentious fan boy, over-analytical interpretations. The latter behavior becomes a grotesque manifestation with a life of it's own. The anime is suddenly deemed a stroke of genius as their interpretation becomes de-facto canon. As a result, there is an encyclopedia's worth of interpretation that is capable of providing enough source material to write a remake of the said anime.
zzzeallyFeb 10, 2014 1:42 AM

Feb 10, 2014 1:45 AM

Jan 2014
Open for interpretation as in it leaves you with questions about the aftermath of the conclusion: Good

As in they did not conclude the series: Bad
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2014 1:45 AM

Jul 2013
It depends on how they do it, and how much is left open to interpretation.
I usually don't really mind if there is something that is left open, but for example not writing an ending at all goes too far.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Feb 10, 2014 1:50 AM

Jun 2013
It's fantastic when it works but i find it rarely works out well because it creates one big shit storm of which ending is correct and eventually one interpretation becomes the main one which people will use and then ''open for interpretation'' is lost so it can work but it's hard to do and CAN be lazy.
Feb 10, 2014 1:52 AM

Jan 2013
It will lead to difference in opinions, and as a result will lead to shitstorms on forums.
So, a clean ending seems to be more logical to me.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 10, 2014 2:18 AM

Jan 2014
I usually like open endings, very much.

But there are some animes or films, or books that I love so much that require to have a definite ending, and when they haven't, I feel so pissed off.
Feb 10, 2014 3:00 AM

Mar 2012
If there's some sort of purpose to doing something like that I welcome it. I like it when shows make me think. Although I don't like it in shows like Eva where things are left open just because the writers couldn't think of an answer.
Feb 10, 2014 3:03 AM

Apr 2010
Beholda said:
Old_Raven said:
Its shit. Absolute shit.

This is my opinion also.
Feb 10, 2014 3:11 AM

Apr 2013
antonn said:
Beholda said:
Old_Raven said:
Its shit. Absolute shit.

This is my opinion also.

I don't care if it's well done or not, don't end shit open to interpretation. Give me a definite ending whether I like it or not.
Feb 10, 2014 4:42 AM
Nov 2013
The End of Evangelion is the best thing I've ever seen. Tenshi no tamago is amazing. Haibane Renmei is amazing. Haven't seen much of these, but from what I saw they are pretty good. If they make you think hard, is probably because they are good, I guess. Anyway, I absolutely love this kind of stuff.
Feb 10, 2014 9:19 AM
Oct 2010
I think it's great when done properly. Anyone here ever play dark souls? That's a really good case of open for interpretation.
Feb 10, 2014 9:34 AM

Aug 2013
Cupquake said:
Radioskpup said:
Sometimes it is well used, other times it's just laziness

Agree with this after my fix.

A perfect example:

Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai wo was a cliche, yet enjoyable shinigami manga. , until the end where thins started to get really heated and awesome. We were presented with a cool character backstory and an interesting mystery for the mc to solve. I was all excited to see how, how in the world, the story would be resolved in just three chapters!

The answer:
SPOILER
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shinigamisama_ni_saigo_no_onegai_o/c018/33.html

Yes it's a spoiler, but not really. The last page of the manga. Notice how it says "Please try to think about who the culprit is." on the bottom right hand corner.

DON'T FUCKING BULLSHIT ME! The mangaka just got really fucking lazy and quit, slapping on that pathetic excuse for a page at the end.

LOL

That was laziness at its worst
Feb 10, 2014 9:36 AM

Sep 2012
Done right: BLAME!
Done wrong: Evangelion
Feb 10, 2014 9:38 AM

Aug 2013
I like these kind of stories where the author found a way to represent symbolically his message what accommodates many different possibilities for each one who watched/read it to come up with their own theories and "philosophical" understandings.

However, it can be shit and a product of laziness what is really displeasing.
Feb 10, 2014 10:36 AM

Nov 2013
I think it's probably up for interpretation.
Feb 22, 2014 6:11 PM

Jun 2013
Personally I dislike open endings, they cause me to think about all sorts of what-if questions which distract me from things I should be doing (be it work, school, or otherwise). I like my endings wrapped up nicely with a little bow on it. I know that a lot of shows do that in order to keep people thinking about it but it just really bothers me because I want closure, I don't want to be left wondering who gets with who or whether or not someone liver or dies.

Mod Note: merged with existing thread.
FreshPrinceofMALFeb 22, 2014 11:14 PM
Feb 22, 2014 6:13 PM

Sep 2011
Depends if it's done right or not; good example of WRONG would be

Kyokai no kanata

Like seriously, that show had everything good going for it, then
I mean, come on now. . .

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Feb 22, 2014 6:15 PM

Nov 2013
I liked the open endings in both Shutter Island and Inception. Although Shutter Island didn't really have an open ending.
Feb 22, 2014 6:18 PM

Aug 2013
I prefer solid conclusions, but there have been cases where open endings have made things more beautiful or powerful. It's difficult to explain, but open endings can be a good tool given the right conditions an circumstances.
Feb 22, 2014 6:22 PM

Jul 2011
There are cases where an open ending is awesome (e.g. Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom).

Feb 22, 2014 6:26 PM

Mar 2011
Lime_ said:
Depends if it's done right or not; good example of WRONG would be

Kyokai no kanata

Like seriously, that show had everything good going for it, then
I mean, come on now. . .

I don't think that's entirely fair. The only thing that show had going for it was the high production value, it had nothing else. At all. Nothing. Literally fuck all. Like properly zero. Nada.
Feb 22, 2014 6:30 PM

Oct 2013
They're good in their own genres, I prefer they fit better in a character driven story than in a plot driven story,
Feb 22, 2014 6:35 PM

Sep 2011
Infinite said:

I don't think that's entirely fair. The only thing that show had going for it was the high production value, it had nothing else. At all. Nothing. Literally fuck all. Like properly zero. Nada.

Meh, first thing that came to mind

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Feb 22, 2014 6:37 PM

Aug 2013
I get irritated by open endings

I want to see the story out until the end or the clearly foreseeable future

This is why I really prefer it when Yuri indicates that marriage (or living together because Japan is a cruel place) has happened/will happen
in said:
There are cases where an open ending is awesome (e.g. Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom).

I don't see how that was an open ending, that was rather definitive
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Feb 22, 2014 7:00 PM

Oct 2012
i don't mind them it can end however it wants
RRRRRRRRRR
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 3 hours ago

16 by MichaelJackson »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

84 by Hikinekomori »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

113 by lycan_ »»
8 minutes ago

» Does anyone ever feel like anime is inferior to western television. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

15poundfish - Feb 12, 2017

351 by Toooooooooohru »»
9 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Apr 23

25 by Toooooooooohru »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.