Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 24, 2015 7:00 AM

Jun 2015
Rei is the personified apathy.
Oct 12, 2015 10:30 PM

Apr 2014
Rei has nothing, but she is willing to fight for the sake of everyone. "Rei" is zero in Japanese, so Rei = Zero = Nothing. But yet, she stands for everything. She's also the first Eva pilot. Just an observation XD

Shinji once again felt reluctant but was compelled to carry out his duty in order to not place undue burden on someone else. His growing affection for Rei certainly aided in that regard I'm sure. I liked how he checked on Rei at the end of the episode in the same manner that his father did. His crying and display of care for her must have certainly reminded her of someone else who does (Gendo obvs) which doubly aided in her warming up to him.

I think Shinji is seeing a reflection of himself in Rei. Empty, alone, just existing, dark past, treated cruelly by life. Such a person probably feels quite relatable to him, and coupled with the fact that it's a girl he already feels attracted to, he may have finally found "the" reason to continue fighting on and it should definitely assist in recovering his mental state and giving him a much needed spark of determination. As for Rei, her willingness to smile at the end was an indication that she accepted him. Perhaps he in turn will also help her open up and deal with her issues.
ZeroDragonOct 12, 2015 10:40 PM
Nov 21, 2015 6:54 AM

Feb 2013
That was crazy, it took all the power in Japan just to shoot one gun. Have to wonder whats its gonna take to bring the next angel down, it seems like they just keep getting stronger and stronger.

Also that was a really great ending scene, it was nice to see Rei finally warm up to Shinji and show some emotion.
Dec 3, 2015 1:35 PM

Nov 2012
aero said:
Fuck yeah battle. Eat that stupid Angel. Serves you right giving them 9 hours to prepare.
lol
JohnGalt89 said:
So to get Rei to smile you just have to kill an Angel with a positron cannon powered by all the energy in Japan. I wonder what it takes to get a laugh out of her.
Wondering about this as well.

Nice character development for both Shinji and Rei this episode [s]though I thought Rei's smile seemed forced/kinda creepy tbch.
Dec 28, 2015 6:02 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5
One of my favorite episodes. Love this Angel and this battle. Intense.

Feb 3, 2016 4:19 PM

Aug 2014
The relationship between Shinji and Rei is promising . Great scene between them after the battle .
Great Episode .
Aug 4, 2016 10:27 AM

Aug 2016
I loved the ending of this episode alot! Seems like Rei is going to like Shinji after this.

5/5
Sep 28, 2016 8:49 PM

Jan 2016
why is this faggot crying?
Oct 23, 2016 1:14 PM

Aug 2014
And just like that the ice queen's heart was thawed...
Oct 24, 2016 2:35 PM

Jun 2016
The last scene was realliy touching and it was nice to see the two communicate with each other at last.
Jan 2, 2017 12:50 AM

Feb 2013
DON'T FUCKING MISS! DON'T FUCKING MISS! AWWWWW SHIT!

Well he didn't miss but the shot curved on its trajectory as too the Angel's shot. Angels don't seem to have a common form. Seems like they all have a core but their appearance changes from angel to angel. Are they being made? By who? Or what?

Whoa, Rei, you almost died. Good thing Shinji got you out of that pod... the same way Shinji's dad did. I wonder der if Rei is the type to fall for him for that. I don't think she will.

THERE'S THE SMILE. FROM THAT GIF! THAT'S THE SMILE! Dere dere! Rei, you look great when you smile.
Jan 7, 2017 8:47 PM
Jun 2016
Awesome battle, Rei's smile was so cute lol.
Jan 11, 2017 6:59 PM

Sep 2015
That smile made my day!! ;-;
Jan 16, 2017 3:51 PM

Sep 2016
It's not like I haven't seen loads of kuuderes before.
I don't know what is it about Rei, but I just like her more every episode.

She's so pretty, her voice is so soothing, and in some way she feels... real, despite being a kuudere... huh
Apr 25, 2017 6:53 AM

Jun 2016
Another great one! The battle was intense and beautiful to look at, which is super impressive considering, that this show is over 20 years old.
That ending was very sweet aswell :)
Jul 28, 2017 7:36 AM

Feb 2015
This is starting to become really nice.

I ship it.
Jul 28, 2017 9:55 AM

Dec 2015
@Nishi_23 If you want to "ship" them to the church, sorry the relationship between those two characters isn't of that kind. (just saying to prevent possible false hopes)

edit @Nishi_23 There you have it:

No spoiler, just large pictures.
Rei_IIIJul 28, 2017 12:48 PM
Jul 28, 2017 12:34 PM

Feb 2015
Aw... I need a NGE romcom now.
Sep 3, 2017 5:46 AM

Nov 2016
That was quite tense.

And we also got a bit of character development again at the end, this time for Rei.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2017 6:16 AM

May 2016
Let the ship sink or so they say....
Oct 26, 2017 4:41 PM

Jul 2013
I'm slowly shipping Rei and Shinji. I love that cute moment they had together.
Oct 27, 2017 9:05 AM

Dec 2015
kawaiinekolover said:
I'm slowly shipping

Think about it again in 7+ épisode (depending if you reach the truth before it's blurt out on the screen). XD (not laughing about you)

Also, you're better off with the current theatrical series if you're into that kind of watching. Don't expect something in this department here, sorry.

Have a good watch.

===
@idunkno Mmh... how exactly can the movies butcher the pre-existing show when:
1/ they add nothing to the TV series, unlike The End,
2/ the only movie fully adapted from the TV series is pretty close to it in term of events and Shinji's main reactions.
3/ they are their own thing.

By the way, I only stated a fact: if people are in for the kind of modern viewing where you wish for certain pairings to be formed, they should better focus their attention to the "Shin Eva" movies, especially the 2nd one.

===========

April 8, 2020
@tabernac "Maybe" the actual target isn't Tokyo-3 but something there. ;)
Rei_IIIApr 8, 2020 7:04 AM
Oct 27, 2017 12:19 PM

Jul 2013
Rei366 said:
kawaiinekolover said:
I'm slowly shipping

Think about it again in 7+ épisode (depending if you reach the truth before it's blurt out on the screen). XD (not laughing about you)

Also, you're better off with the current theatrical series if you're into that kind of watching. Don't expect something in this department here, sorry.

Have a good watch.

Thanks for letting me know! It's my first time watching Evangelion and I'm enjoying the show so far. :3
Jan 20, 2018 2:42 PM

Apr 2015
I love how Misato called the Angel attacking NERV headquarters a "sassy bastard". I also love how she's got the power to be like "Let's take all the power in Japan!" and everyone else just goes along with her.

I'm starting to understand an "Evangelion in a Nutshell" YouTube animation/sketch I watched a while back. "Shinji, you must pilot the EVA." "Noooo I'm afraid!" "If he can't do it, REI MUST DO IT!" Things haven't gotten that dramatic though yet I guess, as all it took was a tiny, subtle little push from Rei for Shinji to pilot again.

I love Rei's soft voice. And her smile...I want to protect it.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 16, 2018 4:50 PM

Mar 2016
Shinji is maturing, at a slow rate but he's advancing. His relationship with Rei is getting closer now, and what better way to end a night for Shinji by convincing Rei to smile after saving the city again using a device that uses the whole of Japan's electricity... That smile is really cute and definitely rare for a kuudere like Rei.
Feb 26, 2018 5:53 PM

Sep 2017
What a nice ep. Rei and Shinji reunion was really great. But I am really concerned about what happened to the target. But the action sequences and the prep sequences were well made.

I hope that Rei becomes a good reason for Shinji to pilot the Eva.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 7, 2018 11:31 AM

Feb 2018
Such a great episode.
Love the fact that battles in this anime aren't some giant robots senselessly beating on each other and screaming, but slow, strategic chess games.

Not a fan of over-the-top way of doing things, but taking all of Japan's electricity was pretty badass, loved it :D

Shinji only acts as a normal person would do when thrown into a war with such high stakes, he is very lovable imo.

Nice to see Rei smile at Shinji, finally.
Mar 17, 2018 3:09 AM

Aug 2017
The battle was short but very intense. I'm glad that Rei is ok after that. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 24, 2018 2:17 AM

Feb 2017
Charming episode. Like father, like son.
Oct 25, 2018 1:38 PM

Aug 2013
OMG. I remembered this series completely different. Well, to be expected. I watched it for the first time when I was 10, 18 years ago.
Animation quality is superb. Hand drawn mecha, explosions and literally everything. Eyegasm.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 28, 2018 4:00 PM
Feb 2018
kawaiinekolover said:
Rei366 said:

Have a good watch.

Thanks for letting me know! It's my first time watching Evangelion and I'm enjoying the show so far. :3

Don't listen to that guy. Especially not with the theatrical releases which completely butcheres this series.
Dec 5, 2018 9:41 AM

Aug 2016
I am bit cofused here, since when and how Shinji went "Holy sh*t, is she in some sort of relationship with my father?" To "Smile, we are best pals and shiat for each other."
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2018 12:17 PM

Aug 2013
The smile at the end was cute.

Jan 9, 2019 6:40 PM
Jan 2019
One of my favorites episodes. It really works well as a continuation of the last episode and also shows that Rei isn't a plain character, we just don't understand her yet.
The fighting scene is good, the Angel this time is quiet different of the last 2 and it's nice to see a different type of combat to show how they deal with different enemies.
Also, the last scene is cute AF.
Feb 9, 2019 10:52 PM
Jul 2018
why are the episodes so boring? Should I drop it?
Apr 22, 2019 8:03 AM

May 2016
Misato's a really good captain after all even with her goofy attitude outside of the field and procuring a giant electric sniper rifle then redirecting the power of the whole country into it to beat a flying diamond drill thingy's pretty awesome.

Since they finally both saw each other naked, Shinji and Rei's pretty much even now. Despite the awkward relationship they both shared until that battle against the angel, Rei's determination to protect Shinji plus that smile she gave at the end and the kid immediately running to her aid to see if she was okay then crying out of relief when he found out that she's safe made me feel really happy.

May 15, 2019 8:44 PM
Apr 2016
Honestly I don't like Rei, still. I can't blame Shinji for getting all sentimental at the end, he is a young teen after all. Good that they handled the mission. Good episode.
May 30, 2019 8:08 PM

Dec 2018
omg rei smiling at the end, i'm a mess. ;_;
Jun 29, 2019 2:17 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode! That was depressing when Rei did say "Goodbye" as if this was her final mission.

Good to her smile! Want more!!!

Next one should be ace!
Jul 21, 2019 1:58 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This episode is still as great as I remember. The directing is superb. The sense of foreboding, the buildup up to the shots, the drama with Ayanami. Just superb.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 26, 2019 9:58 PM

Jun 2015
i want more ayanami smiling :)
Oct 5, 2019 5:29 AM

Oct 2012
Smiling Rei is probably the cutest thing in this anime
Also Shinji is looking "tough" in this episode, which is a good thing for once

Awww, I love this episode
Surely it can't get worse than this :P
"Signature removed"
Oct 29, 2019 6:15 AM

Sep 2011
Great episode, that moment between Shinji and Rei was adorable. I wonder if they will have a relationship in the future.

The battle in this episode was really nice, all strategic.
Apr 7, 2020 5:28 PM

Apr 2016
Okay so it seems that the Angels only attack Neo-Tokyo 3.

So why not nuke N-T3 and remove the motivation for the enemy to attack?

Sorry...I'll stop now.

Rei is awesome. She really should be the star. But I say that pretty well for every anime I've watched.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2020 12:13 PM

Apr 2016
Rei_III said:
kawaiinekolover said:
I'm slowly shipping

Have a good watch.

===
@idunkno Mmh... how exactly can the movies butcher the pre-existing show when:
1/ they add nothing to the TV series, unlike The End,
2/ the only movie fully adapted from the TV series is pretty close to it in term of events and Shinji's main reactions.
3/ they are their own thing.

By the way, I only stated a fact: if people are in for the kind of modern viewing where you wish for certain pairings to be formed, they should better focus their attention to the "Shin Eva" movies, especially the 2nd one.

===========

April 8, 2020
@tabernac "Maybe" the actual target isn't Tokyo-3 but something there. ;)

Then they should keep the town free from ppl. Just have the Nerv employees present.

Save time and effort and even money, cuz they don't have to keep repairing the town.

I know it's just a show...:D :D
Apr 8, 2020 1:59 PM

Dec 2015

tabernac said:
They should keep the town free from ppl. Just have the Nerv employees present.

But.. but... rthat's an international sect's secret. Plus, everything was kinda funded by public funds (along private ones): how would they justify having a whole inoccupied town in a world with not enough space?
Anyway, most peoples there work for the NERV/military or work to run the living facilities for those peoples (imagine those american bases "mini-cities" in a bigger scale). At least, that's what I always thought.

@maiawatchesanime Since you like the style (the chara-design I guess), may I direct you toward Sadamoto's other works like Fushigi no Umi no Nadia, a fun "old-school" adventure that surprisingly grows serious while turning to the big Sci-fi Anno & co. love, and Honneamise no Tsubasa that's probably the most gorgeous and detailed looking anime he participated to (at its time, the most expensive japanese animation, a theatrical release of course) ?
Naturally his artbook, Der Mond, looks gorgeous too.
Rei_IIIJul 14, 2020 1:10 AM
Apr 20, 2020 11:27 PM

Apr 2020
I enjoy the tension building in the series so far. Each time the Angels attack the show has managed to make it interesting by making the audience ask a different question:

1. Can Shinji pilot this thing?
2. Can Shinji take this thing on with innocent people on the battlefield?
3. Can Shinji and Rei work together?

So far so great with this show. Love the exploration of the emotional toll this is taking on the characters.
Jun 21, 2020 6:51 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Rei's smile <3 must... protecc...

Coming in to this a second time and I'm enjoying it a lot more. OP is a classic.
Jul 11, 2020 7:53 AM

Dec 2010
I keep getting surprised by this happening, but I really can't say that the original doesn't hold up to the EVA movies, despite the difference in budget and production times. I daresay this episode's finale actually surpasses the one in the movie.

Cathedral said:
Hehe, and Shinji is such a sensitive 14-year-old boy.
Maybe he looks like the crazy person, when he seems to be the only person left in this world with emotional sensitivity(and Misato for cutting him some slack for what he's going through, I'll give her that).
Jul 11, 2020 7:22 PM

Feb 2020
what a tense episode i love it

i like how all the characters are emotionally stunted and unsure of themselves and how to express their feelings. it's a nice change and it fits with what they are going through

the animation feels so smooth and oh have i mentioned how much i love the art style because i do i really do
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by BitBitt »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

343 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

195 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

214 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 2:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.