Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 20, 2009 8:27 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
An awesome episode. With a twist at the end.
Mar 20, 2009 9:04 AM

Feb 2008
Beave said:

An awesome episode. With a twist at the end.

You are right. But since it's Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae we are talking about,nothing surprises me anymore.However,that old guy was really sick!!!

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Mar 20, 2009 11:08 AM

Jan 2008
but whats with hajime and tsugumi? did she kill him? o_o
Mar 20, 2009 11:25 AM
Jan 2009
xmysticchanx said:
but whats with hajime and tsugumi? did she kill him? o_o

Yah.... especially Shibata Hajime, whta happen to him?

It seem the girl from season 1, Shibata Tsugumi is back but at an older age.... She used to be like Yuzuki Mikage,, able to see those goin to be sent to hell....

I wonder will the boy and the girl whose brother got sent to hell, from season two will appear in season three?l
Mar 20, 2009 1:46 PM

Jun 2008
awesome episode. it's nice to see Tsugumi again. She's so pretty <3
Mar 20, 2009 4:11 PM

Feb 2009
Jigoku Shoujo anime always piss me off; this system is wrong no matter how you look at it, and still I compulsively watch that anime I just wish that someone will make them close shop somehow.
Mar 20, 2009 6:11 PM

Mar 2008
MaxCrazy7 said:
..I just wish that someone will make them close shop somehow.

If Aniplex plans to make a season 4 I think we will never see the shop closed =P

Anyways, I thought that this season took place right after the second ended, now we know more about the time line of the events of this show.
................ ゆっくりしていってね!!!......................
Mar 21, 2009 1:46 PM

Jun 2008
lol
This is the first time that I loved yuzuki!
Omg it was so great ;_;
Mar 21, 2009 2:01 PM
Nov 2008
Oh dear!!

(WEAK SPOILER WARNING BELOW!)

- Grown Tsugumi is so cool! and now she make her official apperance for this season.

- Look at Kikuri face when she say she wanted to try out the instruction and ... XD

- Having Yuzuki debate directly with Hell Correspondence this is not just a filler ep.

- "Long time no see" scene is just great!

- Enma Ai can do "Yuriko Omega" (Red Alert 3 reference) too! XD

- Applied mathematician had been hired for war and begin to interest in Hell!?

- Before Internet boom Hell C. had been BBS too! 8)

- "Artificial Hatred , even goes that far" Wanyuudo speak out for what's in my mind too.

- I'm so happy to see Ai got more line in this ep. rather than "Ippen shinde miru"

- Only thing Yuzuki can do is just shouting "Stop it" ...Well...again...

- In every fictional world when you see a lot of children in a place of Mad Scientist you should expect to see some sad scene...

- ...The conclusion is not that downer but still melancholy...for the last words of who's been sent to hell. (BG Music help a little)

- "ZETSUBOU-SHITA! Sensei left me in DESPAIR!!" this might be what Yuzuki want to shout in the last scene :P

(- Wait...wait...Preview for the next episode left me in despair too!!)

Seem like I'm impersonating someone here.
Please don't take it seriously. I just want to try out scene by scene expression like this
XD
erastaleMar 21, 2009 2:12 PM
Mar 21, 2009 4:12 PM
Dec 2007
Hmmm, so the main feature of this episode is definitely the grown up Tsugumi, she's became really great. Still, I wonder how she could grow by 10 or 12 years whereas in the first season, people already used the Internet and third generation mobile phones (so mid-2000's basically). It means Mitsuganae takes place at the end of the 2010's, or there's been a time slip somewhere maybe? And there are other things that do not really make sense, did Tsugumi really sent Hajime to Hell, I don't remember it from previous seasons (if yes, my bad, I just forgot this point, but it seems I'm not the only one)? It would be cool to see Hotaru from season 2 too, even if she was far less important to the script than Tsugumi and Hajime.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 23, 2009 9:53 AM

Feb 2008
hirahira said:

she has turned out to be some cold bitch though. i guess years of fruitless attempts to stop people's pointless hatred has rendered her barren and cold. the artificial hatred does really prove a fundamental flaw within the system itself.

May 28, 2009 1:14 AM

Mar 2009
kisami said:
hirahira said:

she has turned out to be some cold bitch though. i guess years of fruitless attempts to stop people's pointless hatred has rendered her barren and cold. the artificial hatred does really prove a fundamental flaw within the system itself.

I don't think she's a cold bitch. I think she's just lost hope in mankind. I wonder what happened to hajime?? Did he die of old age or another reason? cause tsugumi isn't that old so I don't think it's old age o.O

she is pretty! =D I love that she's wearing the earrings now

This ep. in general was really good. Seems mitsuginae is getting better every episode since about the middle of this season =)
May 31, 2009 1:50 PM

Dec 2008
This was a damn good episode. We got to see Tsugumi and shit. However, wth happened to Hajime?
Sep 28, 2009 5:50 PM

Aug 2009
Oh yes Tsugumi my baby. <3 So, she was the nurse afterall.

And damn, the professor was wicked smart. He's just like L from Death Note but only older and less cooler. We also get to see Ai's another power, making craters!

Nice episode, can't want to see the next one.
Jan 26, 2010 6:31 AM

Nov 2009
wow that guy was messed up to send the nurse 2 hell jus cuz... XP im glad she didnt go X3 still seeing all of those ppl 2gether was awesome XD
Feb 5, 2010 1:47 PM

Aug 2009
Yuzuki: Please stop!Can't you consider it just this once?!
Ai: .....And you think I never do consider it?

Ehhh,it was something like that,but it was when Yuzuki was asking Ai if she have ever considered not doing a request because it was wrong and it was a silly reason,and the way Ai replied just made me even more sad for Ai. ;___;

Anyway,I really liked this episode!:3 What about Hajime though?D:
Feb 20, 2011 5:57 AM

Oct 2008
=/
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 9, 2011 9:07 PM
Jun 2009
Strange episode... I seriously wonder what happened to Hajime.
Aug 18, 2011 4:54 PM

Dec 2010
I liked this episode because of three things:
1. The animations got sensibly better at last!
2. Of course because of Yuzuki! She's the main reason I watched that much of Mitsuganae's episodes.
3. Tsugumi... I love every episode where she has appearance even if she's grown up now. She really seems to have lost hope in humanity after all these years...

Btw, where are my favorite commentators? First we lost andel999 and now the other first-posters...
Feb 3, 2012 11:39 PM

Dec 2008
YAY LITTLE TSUGUMI wow she's all adult now.

She seems kind of worn down, like she's just ready to give up on everything. That's kind of super sad. I always thought Tsugumi was strong.

Also, the way she talks about Hajime makes me think he was sent to hell. I was like, "WAH! HAJIME WOULDN'T WANT YOU TO BE SENT TO HELL!! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!"

I think I'll be floored if Tsugumi, of all people, is the one who sent Hajime to hell like people are suggesting - if he was even sent at all or just passed away, but I have this faint, weak hope he's around somewhere. I LOVED HIM SO MUCHHHHHH.

But I really feel like we're hitting the final part of this series that untangles itself and defines what the whole season is all about. It's all the juicy meat portion that we've been waiting for... and... I'm not sure if I'm ready for it just yet. And I still feel like I have a million more questions than answers.
Jul 17, 2012 12:55 AM

Jul 2011
aww tsugumi officially appeared i love her so much especially in season 1 with her and hajime... btw where is hajime???
Jul 27, 2012 1:45 AM
Jul 2012
His whereabouts are unknown to Ai´s assistants so he isnt in hell. I think he hides since he wrote the book because he does not want to get involved with Jigoku Shoujo anymore
Aug 10, 2012 6:08 PM

May 2012
WOW! What an awesome episode! Didn't though the school-nurse would be Tsugumi so quite nice she was kept through all three seasons! The professors was amazing making a scientific work claiming hell exist and implanting anger to activate the Hell Link!

Just an amazing episode with an amazing plot twist, but well the professor got what he wanted he was able to go to hell!
Sep 20, 2012 7:06 PM

Apr 2011
Meritas said:

Btw, where are my favorite commentators? First we lost andel999 and now the other first-posters...
They got sent via Emma Ai express.

There was a slight clog in ordering a doll for andel999. He sure was a popular bastard! :)
Oct 6, 2012 7:44 AM

Jun 2012
So, just how many years passed in between season 2 and season 3? A youthful Tsugumi appeared in the last few episodes of season 2 (I'd say she's probably in her late 20's at that point), and she seemed like she matured in a believable way.

Now she shows up in season 3, and her personality changed completely. She's hardly even Tsugumi anymore.

I'm starting to get sick of season 3; I'm just glad there's only 6 episodes left. Everything changed, and not in a good way.

Kikuri went from being a creepy, sadistic little girl from hell, to being a wind-up-toy. She doesn't even have a role in the plot anymore; she just sorta shows up randomly from time to time pointing out the obvious or making annoying "whee" sounds while asking people to wind her up, and this episode was a shining example of that. She totally killed the drama at the end when she showed up out of freaking nowhere while doing that annoying little "whee" and pointed out the painfully obvious fact that someone just pulled a string.

Enma Ai was an emotionless, pitiable character with a vast amount of empathy for her victims which she locked away behind her stone-cold demeanor.
Now, she seems to be an aggressive, apathetic person. She also seems to have lost most of her importance that she had in other seasons; she hardly gets any screen time anymore. Not only that, but it seems that she randomly gained a multitude of random powers in between season 2 and season 3, none of which are ever given an explanation.

Enma's 3 posse members (Wanyuudou, Hone Onna, and Ichimoku Ren) feel more like supporting characters now. They don't really do anything important anymore other than turning into straw dolls.

I swear, if it wasn't for Yuzuki, I'd have dropped this season already. Yuzuki is the only redeeming quality for this season. She seems to have a very empathetic, caring personality, and it's generally a pleasure to watch her do stuff. The whole thing about her being destined to become the "next Jigoku Shoujo" though, is pretty retarded. I guess all that stuff which was explained about Enma in seasons 1 and 2 about how and why she is the Jigoku Shoujo is irrelevant now. After 500+ years of holding the title "Jigoku Shoujo", some girl is going to randomly take her place.

Also, the revenge scenes are just drop-dead terrible now. Not only is the motives behind the revenges becoming increasingly stupid, they don't really make me feel any sort of sympathy towards anyone involved in them. Compare the first episode of season 1 to the first episode of season 3; there's a massive difference.
Season 1 revenge scene: A high-school girl steals money entrusted to another girl, and then extorts her in all kinds of depraved ways until the girl snaps and sends her to hell. The revenge scene was rather nightmarish and felt appropriate considering she was being sent to hell.
Season 3 revenge scene: Some girl hates her high-school teacher for absolutely no good reason at all. She get's mad at him whenever he punishes her for disrupting the class, and seems to be very offended whenever he writes in a notebook. Apparently, this gave her enough hateful feelings towards him to allow her to contact Enma and send him to hell. The revenge scene was completely anti-climactic, and involved a bunch of colorful numbers and the teacher being grabbed by a living number 2. Wan, Hon, and Ren stand around and talk about pointless stuff, and then Enma comes flying in wearing a bee suit and stings him. Later, the girl who sent him to hell discovers that he didn't do anything bad. End of episode.
LarasoOct 6, 2012 7:47 AM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Mar 6, 2013 2:57 AM

Jun 2012
So Tsugumi was here all along... that was a nice surprise.

Pretty good episode as well.
Aug 24, 2013 1:46 PM
Aug 2012
i wonder what tsugumi meant about her father there at the end
Dec 8, 2013 2:26 AM

Jun 2012
pretty good episode with a nice twist but in the beginning i expected it would be more like hell boy vs hell girl from season 1 or 2.
PrinceJ said:
i wonder what tsugumi meant about her father there at the end
exactly my thought but because AI her servants don't know i don't think she sent him to hell she might have kilt him her self.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Aug 19, 2014 1:00 PM

Jan 2014
Unfortunately the episode where my one and only Tsugumi appears bored me to the estreme.
I don't like this futuristic tone Jigoku Shoujo adopted.. Tsugumi was the pale shadow of herself.
I never wished for a Hell Girl show to quickly end.
Sep 26, 2014 10:27 PM

Jan 2010
Mathematically proving the existence of hell.

I can honestly say that I've never heard of that one before.

Also, hell's bells. Really now.
ShockedSep 26, 2014 10:34 PM
Dec 13, 2014 12:45 AM

Nov 2013
Wow...Tsugumi is hot. 10/10 would bang

Tsugumi's personality sure has changed. She used to be so determined to save the lives of others. Now she has a cold heart like she has given up on life.

So the professor gained artificial hate for Tsugumi so he could access Hell Link so he could bring Ai to his lab. That's some crazy shit.

I was confused why that guy sent the professor to hell. Then I realized it was because of all the children he neglected.

I was not expecting this episode to be this awesome. I was expecting a stupid rip-off of the Hell Boy episode from season 1 but this was absolutely amazing.

10/10 best episode of the season so far. It's going to be hard to top this one.

Oct 15, 2015 6:28 AM

Aug 2014
That was better than most of the episode in this season, but still it made no fucking sence. I am not a math genius but how do you prove that hell exists with equations and stuff?

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Dec 14, 2015 12:25 AM

Jun 2015
yippee! hajime tsugumi is back, and whats that it ended so quickly ...she seems to be leaving.....I want her to be in every episode......
And... Nah...I still like season 1 and 2 better ....with every season, the story get worse..... I still love season 1 the most.
I am also wondering ,would Tsugumi will also become another hell girl or what??
future_doseDec 14, 2015 1:51 AM
May 11, 2016 2:45 PM

Feb 2015
Yay, more story!

So it IS Tsugumi (or rather a shell of her former self)... well, that means Hajime is most likely dead or has aged alot. Good riddance.
Jun 2, 2016 11:33 AM
Aug 2011
So prof drops a logic bomb on Ai? Or what, Hell exists because humanity created it? Loved the episode but I'm kinda lost here. Did he want to meet her to verify hell or to disprove her own existence? I.E. what was the point of the experiment?
Also those kids were kinda out of left field...
Oct 22, 2016 7:36 PM

May 2010
Hah hah, so he takes in a bunch of orphaned kids whose parents were killed in war, and they all decide to send him to hell because his prior scientific discovery improved unmanned weapons? I guess the lesson here is to never atone for your sins, since if he let them alone to suffer on the streets/orphanages he wouldn't have been sent to hell!
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 22, 2016 10:31 PM

Apr 2014
Im not entirely sure how i feel about what i just watched. The science fiction aspect thrown into a predominantly horror genre series didn't seem to fit. I don't think Jigoku Shoujo should have any ties to science or even pseudoscience. This series deals with the morality of hatred, and seeing as this is a work of fiction, and that Hell Link does not exist in reality, having a strictly horror/supernatural feel makes more sense.

I truly believe that this series has some literary value, it is an author's interpretation of very real emotions and reflects the passions and hatred of people. It is for this reason that I can look past the many inconsistencies and weak points in the plot, as well as more general production issues in the animation itself. As watchers, we have something more to gain than simple entertainment from Jigoku Shoujo, it allows us to ponder the society in which we live, the selfish nature of humanity that is so pervasive though out time and across culture.

May 10, 2017 10:34 AM

Apr 2009
Where the hell is Hajime-chan?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2017 2:45 PM

Mar 2013
Orkman said:
So prof drops a logic bomb on Ai? Or what, Hell exists because humanity created it? Loved the episode but I'm kinda lost here. Did he want to meet her to verify hell or to disprove her own existence? I.E. what was the point of the experiment?

he found hell exist but nothing about heaven ....

probably wanted to live for eternity even if it mean torture and such ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 30, 2017 6:43 AM

Sep 2011
Hrm... This episode was simultaneously intriguing and preposterous for me :/ An interesting idea, but there was so much that just doesn't feel right in this show.

While I can see an argument for the strange pseudo-science and pseudo-mathematics in the idea that the supernatural is just science we don't yet understand (in the same way that religion originally began, in part, as a way to explain that which was not understood at the time), that doesn't make it any less out of place in this series. It just doesn't fit with the tone the show has always created, where the powers Ai and her companions have and the properties of Hell itself are something beyond mortal understanding. To have someone who understands their existence and powers and Hell from a scientific viewpoint subverts the entire tone of the series on a fundamental level. This sort of subversion can be used to great effect, but that requires a lot of setup, foreshadowing, the idea that this truth was always hidden there from the start... it just doesn't work as such a small, encapsulated piece of a much larger story.

lasodamos said:
Orkman said:

he found hell exist but nothing about heaven ....

probably wanted to live for eternity even if it mean torture and such ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As he's being ferried away, he explains his motivations for wishing to go to hell quite clearly and concisely: he wants to see his mother again, who he mentioned earlier had been sent to hell when he was young.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Jul 14, 2017 8:26 PM
Mar 2016
this episode was interesting. i liked that they threw in a scientific element to hell, but they killed him off without really getting into it. the children watching was really unnecessary, and it made no sense.

tsugumi really looks like shes given up on life and doesnt care anymore, what happened to hajime?
Oct 31, 2017 8:00 AM

May 2015
Where is Hajime :((((

Tsumugi became hot babe.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 4, 2017 1:55 AM

Sep 2012
ppl is it hard to watch S1 finale? no it isn't!

Tsugumi did not send Hajime to hell (i failed to make her send him to hell)! he either died at age or illness or accident, but considering how he made money i wouldn't be surprise if some1 did send him to hell, some1 more paranoid thinking maybe he still has some dirt on me, maybe he didn't sell all the photos back to me

information from Wiki
In the second season, it is revealed that Hajime has written a biography on Ai Enma, perhaps as a guide for people who will become involved with the Jigoku Shoujo in the future. There is also a possibility that he may have written it to fulfill his part of the exchange with Ai's grandmother for letting him out of the realm of eternal twilight. Shortly after he writes the biography, he goes missing. His whereabouts are unknown even to Ai's assistants, implying that he was not sent to Hell.

so the Author has left it out the info what happened to Hajime, so what happened to him is unknown
Sugram22Nov 4, 2017 2:04 AM
Dec 22, 2017 1:28 PM
Apr 2017
MELHOR EPISODIO (ate agora)
Feb 21, 2018 9:27 AM

Oct 2015
Badass professor out of nowhere!
Tsugumi has been there all along!
a "Kikyo" sacrificing themselves to save the children?... deja vu.
Jan 3, 2019 6:30 PM

Jul 2014
Jacut said:
Hmmm, so the main feature of this episode is definitely the grown up Tsugumi, she's became really great. Still, I wonder how she could grow by 10 or 12 years whereas in the first season, people already used the Internet and third generation mobile phones (so mid-2000's basically). It means Mitsuganae takes place at the end of the 2010's, or there's been a time slip somewhere maybe? And there are other things that do not really make sense, did Tsugumi really sent Hajime to Hell, I don't remember it from previous seasons (if yes, my bad, I just forgot this point, but it seems I'm not the only one)? It would be cool to see Hotaru from season 2 too, even if she was far less important to the script than Tsugumi and Hajime.

Usagi had a 2009 textbook in episode 15, so I guess season 1 is in the mid-1990s and season 2 in the early 2000s. Chalk it up to a continuity error.
Jun 12, 2019 5:44 AM

Jun 2017
So Tsugumi was the school nurse. Whew, looks like she became a hot babe. I wonder what ever happened to Hajime though, maybe also got sent to hell or something else. Awesome twist in the end though, I thought that Tsugumi was done for.

Anyway, I felt sad for Ai when she said that "And you think I never do consider it?'' to Yuzuki. She doesn't know how much Ai has suffered throughout the ages.
EmperorAlfredJun 12, 2019 5:48 AM
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jun 17, 2019 7:04 AM

Sep 2012
Tsugumi ur so mean she neds u do comfort her right new
Feb 1, 2021 9:56 AM

Mar 2019
Damn, this episode had so much plot in it. I hate how Tsugumi looks now (I hate earrings so that's why). And also I just can't like Yuzuki. Just shut up, stop speaking please, you don't know shit. She's not even a budget Tsugumi because she's even worse than that. I'm so curious as to what happened to best character, Hajime-san. Did Tsugumi kill him for a reason?
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Nov 12, 2022 7:51 PM
Dec 2017
lol now thats one hell of a twist huh

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» do you really believe that all thee victims deserved to go to hell

geekfreak17a - May 17, 2014

5 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 19, 2023 8:37 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 18 Discussion

guyklc - Feb 7, 2009

35 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 19, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 27, 2008

72 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:30 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 23 Discussion

guyklc - Mar 14, 2009

47 by patkarunungan »»
Nov 11, 2023 3:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

guyklc - Nov 22, 2008

82 by Phobossus »»
Aug 21, 2023 10:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.