Forum Settings
Forums

English dubs are only good on mature shows?

New
Jul 12, 2013 10:04 PM

Jun 2008
I find myself thinking this mostly out of my own experience, but what do you guys think?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 12, 2013 10:04 PM

Dec 2009
It really all depends on the voice actors and the anime.
Jul 12, 2013 10:05 PM

Dec 2012
Which shows specifically would you say? I find myself preferring the FMA:B dub over the sub as an example. Elfen Lied also had a good dub in my opinion.
Jul 12, 2013 10:06 PM

Nov 2010

All Englsih dubs are bad.
Jul 12, 2013 10:08 PM

Jun 2008
Objurgo said:
Which shows specifically would you say? I find myself preferring the FMA:B dub over the sub as an example. Elfen Lied also had a good dub in my opinion.

Black Lagoon, Death Note, and yeah FMA too.

But then I see stuff like K-ON dub and think....this is just awful!

Mostly because it's very hard for an English speaking actress to voice those types of characters.
Jul 12, 2013 10:08 PM

Oct 2012
You know now that I think about it, all the dubs that I love are mature shows. Welcome to the NHK, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Redline...

No wait, what about Full Metal Panic or Eureka 7? Those shows are acceptable for younger viewers, at least my nephews' ages.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 12, 2013 10:11 PM

Nov 2010
Though seriously, I don't think American dub actors are good with cute voices. They are unable to have such a cute and high pitched voice. I always feel like you can tell their real age.

That's the reason why in Japan, they usually have a woman to play a shounen protagonist. That way she can play both the child and the teenager role.
Jul 12, 2013 10:13 PM

Mar 2012
The best dubs I've seen definitely belonged to more mature shows such as Black Lagoon and Cowboy Bebop and especially Baccano, but my opinion of them is skewed by the shows' settings.

Mnemosyne is a much better example as it actually takes place in Japan and also has a great dub.

JustALEX said:
Which one? K-ON has two dubs.
The Animax dub is fucking horrible, but I found the Bandai release dubbed by Bang Zoom was acceptable. It wasn't great, but it didn't make my ears bleed.
Negative-TravisJul 12, 2013 10:18 PM
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.

Dec 2012
JustALEX said:
Objurgo said:

Mostly because it's very hard for an English speaking actress to voice those types of characters.

I think English speaking actress' voices are just too deep or don't have the same vocal range as the Japanese ones, so in slice of life anime or a comedy anime were the actor needs to have a variety of vocal ranges the English speaking ones fall a bit flat. But if it is an anime with a serious tone and the actress needs only to have a serious, grim tone the English actors sound great because of the fact that they can pull off the tone that their more used to.

Oct 2012
JustALEX said:
Objurgo said:

No Death Note's dub is horrible. Light's VA over dramatized every scene and completely ruined his character. ''I'll take this potato chip... mm... AND EAT IT!'' *facepalm*

Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Though seriously, I don't think American dub actors are good with cute voices. They are unable to have such a cute and high pitched voice. I always feel like you can tell their real age.

I can agree to an extent, although have seen (or heard, as it were), the Madoka dub? In my humble, but correct, opinion it was quite good.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 12, 2013 10:15 PM

Nov 2010
NickyCharisma said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I can agree to an extent, although have seen (or heard, as it were), the Madoka dub? In my humble, but correct, opinion it was quite good.
No, I haven't. So I'll have to take your word on it.
Jul 12, 2013 10:18 PM

Jun 2008
Negative-Travis said:
JustALEX said:

It does?

I saw the one by bandai.
Jul 12, 2013 10:19 PM

Mar 2013
I liked the dub for Ouran Highschool Host Club, so no. Also, does Panty and Stocking count as a mature show? Because I like the dub for that too, but the voices you get there aren't typically what you'd get in a mature show. In any case, I think the issue is with English voice actors not being able to do convincing high-pitched voices for moe characters, rather than the genre of the shows.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jul 12, 2013 10:20 PM

Mar 2012
JustALEX said:
Negative-Travis said:
JustALEX said:

It does?

I saw the one by bandai.
Animax Asia dubbed it for Southeast Asian distribution.
I'll see if I can find snippets on Youtube, it's horrendous.

EDIT: Here you go.

This is the actual dub, not a fandub.
Jul 12, 2013 10:21 PM

Oct 2012
Now that I think about it I loved the dub to Yamada's First Time. Not sure if that's a mature show. School Rumble isn't and that one is a lot of fun as well.
Jul 12, 2013 10:25 PM

Mar 2012
NickyCharisma said:
Now that I think about it I loved the dub to Yamada's First Time. Not sure if that's a mature show. School Rumble isn't and that one is a lot of fun as well.

I find that what makes dubs for shows like B Gata H Kei and Panty and Stocking good isn't the acting, but the script alterations to localize the slang.

The acting is great, but the script is what really makes it if you ask me.
Jul 12, 2013 11:12 PM

May 2011
Hmmm, from all the dubs i've seen, i have to agree with that
Jul 12, 2013 11:22 PM

Dec 2011
natssuu said:
JustALEX said:
Objurgo said:

No Death Note's dub is horrible. Light's VA over dramatized every scene and completely ruined his character. ''I'll take this potato chip... mm... AND EAT IT!'' *facepalm*

I thought that moment was supposed to be campy as hell.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Jul 12, 2013 11:23 PM

Oct 2012
English dubs are only good on Studio Ghibli movies, and that's only because big studios like Disney and the likes have almost unlimited budget.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 12, 2013 11:25 PM

Jul 2008
Never really though about it, but you might be right.
I do enjoy eng dub when the series is more action oriented, but comedy ones are better in Japanese.
Jul 12, 2013 11:30 PM

Jan 2010
This is actually something that I've never thought about before. Yeah, most of my favorite dubs are stuff with action or drama.

Um...I'm guessing if it's a mature show, the voice actors would be taking their roles seriously and would put more effort into it compared to if they were in a comedy? It would help if they were voicing adults and not kids too I suppose. I'm guessing in something where they are allowed to be snarky or crazy, like Ouran or Panty & Stocking, could also give them something fun to work with and result in a better dub. Maybe also stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh where they're allowed to be hammy as hell? I really don't know. Huh.
Jul 12, 2013 11:36 PM

Sep 2012
Negative-Travis said:

To be honest, that was pretty cute.
Jul 12, 2013 11:40 PM

Jan 2013
I like the Yu Yu Hakusho dub
Jul 12, 2013 11:42 PM
Jul 2018
IntroverTurtle said:
Though seriously, I don't think American dub actors are good with cute voices.

This is precisely why I think oftentimes girls in anime when English dubbed don't sound normal.
Jul 13, 2013 12:02 AM

Dec 2012
My favourite eng dub actor is Ian Sinclair, I don't like much school based english because you always get the girl that sounds like sandpaper

Jul 13, 2013 12:23 AM

May 2013
I normally find that dubs with either Brittney Karbowski or Greg Ayres in are really good. Probably because I enjoy their voices more than other VAs.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 13, 2013 12:25 AM

Mar 2012
Diran-kun said:
I normally find that dubs with either Brittney Karbowski or Greg Ayres in are really good. Probably because I enjoy their voices more than other VAs.

Out of all the American actors, you pick Greg Ayers as your favorite?

You know Crispin Freeman is a person, right?
Jul 13, 2013 12:34 AM

Oct 2012
Negative-Travis said:
Really? You mean he isn't crispin' fried chicken?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 13, 2013 12:41 AM

May 2013
Negative-Travis said:
Diran-kun said:

I don't remember saying Greg Ayres is my favourite, just one of them. Yes, Crispin Freeman is also a favourite.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 13, 2013 2:15 AM

Jun 2007
I'd say they have a better chance of being good for mature shows, but good dubs can be found for non-mature shows as well. With clever enough scriptwriting, dubs for ecchi/comedy anime like Yumeria, Magikano, Girls Bravo, Shuffle!, and Rosario + Vampire can come close to or outshine the originals. "Different from the Japanese" does not have to mean "worse," and the lexical richness of English offers it an advantage over Japanese humor. I will agree that dubs for purely "cute" anime can be more hit and miss, but again, it's not impossible to find decent ones.

re: voice pitches -- the possibility should be considered that Japanese VA voices in anime are artificially high, thus giving viewers a distorted view of what the characters are "supposed" to sound like. It's not like humans go through a second voice change at age 20 to bring their voices much lower than they were as teenagers. Though there are some genuinely cute voices out there -- actresses Carrie Savage and Monica Rial sound much the same IRL as many of their signature roles.

re: Death Note's dub being overdramatized -- oh please, the show itself creates a spectacle out of AWESOME WRITING, and the potato chip scene is nothing but one little liberty the dubbers took.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jul 13, 2013 2:17 AM

Apr 2012
IntroverTurtle said:

All Englsih dubs are bad.

this ^

and lol @ code geass dubs. The dialogue is cringe worthy......

Jul 13, 2013 2:38 AM

Jun 2013
Female voices are much better in sub and english dub actors sound more older then there characters so it sound's weird when they play teenagers but i Spice and Wolf and Black Lagoon it completed the shows.At start i was dub only and know i watch sub and dub only if other people say that if it's really good.
Jul 13, 2013 2:38 AM

Oct 2012
I gotta say that Conan and Andy did amazing job dubbing Ghost in the Shell

Jul 13, 2013 2:45 AM

Mar 2012
Not really. I've heard my fair share of great dubs for comedy anime. Cromartie Highschool comes to mind.

However I find that male VAs are generally better when it comes to dubs. Sure there's some good female VAs like Luci Christian, Wendee Lee, Kari Wahlgren and Brittney Karbowski. But neither of them can even come close to Crispin Freeman, Chris Patton, Johnny Bosch, J Michael Tatum or Yuri Lowenthal

Negative-Travis said:
Diran-kun said:

I couldn't agree more. With the exception of Beck, I don't think I've ever appreciated any of his work. I also have to disagree with the notion that dubs with those names are good since they seem to pop up mostly in Sentai Filmworks dubs which are godawful 9 times out of 10.

However, I have yet to hear a bad dub with Crispin Freeman. I generally lean towards subs but Crispin Freeman > All
Jul 13, 2013 2:45 AM

Dec 2012
No they are still bad in ''mature'' shows but not as terrible as a show with an all girl cast.

I don't know much about English dub companies but are their budget really small? because English voice acting in games is pretty damn good, like if there is a game with both Japanese voice actors and English ones I sometimes pick the English voice for the character. ( SSFIV)
Jul 13, 2013 2:48 AM

May 2013
The girls in dubs are not that good at all. Subs easily win that one. Hilary Haag doesn't do a terrible job, though. If only she got more roles rather than the ones that can't pull it off.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 13, 2013 2:49 AM

May 2012
Hardly. Dragon Ball Z dub for example is better than Japanese version. Goku doesn't sound like a woman.
Jul 13, 2013 2:52 AM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
No they are still bad in ''mature'' shows but not as terrible as a show with an all girl cast.

I don't know much about English dub companies but are their budget really small? because English voice acting in games is pretty damn good, like if there is a game with both Japanese voice actors and English ones I sometimes pick the English voice for the character. ( SSFIV)

Despite the outrageous prices of their releases (according to fans, that is), Funimation is relatively poor as shit and I'd imagine the other companies aren't exactly well-off either. Hell, Sentai doesn't even dub half of their acquisitions and Discotek only buys previously-licensed titles from companies that have since gone under.

Dub actors get paid fuck-all. People wonder why anime dubs are bad when compared to American TV shows and Ghibli movies and the simple answer is that Funimation and its competitors just plain can't afford "good" actors like TV networks and Disney can.
Jul 13, 2013 3:00 AM
Mar 2013
Most of the time, it is the case. Like for example, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell and Ergo Proxy. A few more wherein more people disagrees (mainly dub haters, yes there is a fine line between hating and not caring or simply being neutral) are Kimi ga Nozomu Ein, Durarara, Canaan, Death Note, Hellsing Ultimate, Redline, Code Geass (because it gives more of the Brittanian feeling), Black Lagoon and Gundam 00 (both gives more of the 'international' feeling to them) which if I'm not mistaken are all rated R or R+

It's probably because there aren't enough good English voice actors for the anime at the moment. A good example I can give is Fate Stay Night. The voice actors for both Saber and Gilgamesh were good but the rest of the cast were bad which if you generalize then it'll be counted as a bad in English version.

There really are very few shows that aren't rated R or above that I find good in English dubbed version. Actually right now, I can only think of 2 (The Melancholy/Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and 5 Centimeters Per Second)
Jul 13, 2013 3:36 AM

Aug 2012
The voices in the English dub of Golden Boy are so "retarded" that it makes the comedy in it much more enjoyable, I really don't care for the Japanese version of it.

Disney killed Lin character in Spirited away and made her 2D goody-two-shoes, when in Japanese version she is nothing like that. I've watched Spirited Away in three different languages and they all did it (probably because they all were translating from the Disney version)
Jul 13, 2013 4:04 AM

Feb 2012
Ya the English voice actors seem to be really bad at cutesy voices, but that doesn't mean they can't do comedies. Both Sergeant Frog and HSOTD have very good English dubs.
Jul 13, 2013 4:20 AM

Jan 2013
Watch Cromartie high school...its anything but mature..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 13, 2013 4:23 AM
Aug 2008
Gits had really good voice actors, gungrave fits perfectly since that show is all bout grumpy old men.
Jul 13, 2013 5:05 AM

May 2009
egnaro315 said:
Negative-Travis said:

To be honest, that was pretty cute.

I like the Animax Yui rather than the Bandai Yui. Bandai Yui sounds like an woman trying to sound young.

Chinese Yui actually sounds cuter than the Bandai Yui.
natssuu said:
I gotta say that Conan and Andy did amazing job dubbing Ghost in the Shell

That was a lot of fun to watch.
Jul 13, 2013 5:14 AM

Mar 2010
depends on the voice actors
Jul 13, 2013 5:25 AM

Apr 2012
waalex11 said:
It really all depends on the voice actors and the anime.
Despite what anyone can say about the multitude of both good dubs and bad that have been done, it all comes down to this.

I will concede that, of all the dubbed anime I've seen, the performances of the more serious ones far outweigh the comedy ones, though I still wouldn't go so far as to say any of them were bad (perhaps Azumanga Daioh was, but that may just be because I tried switching audio tracks mid-series).

But I've seen some comedies with pretty good, or at least enjoyable, dubs like Lucky Star (with the exception of that one chick; you know who I'm talking about) and School Rumble (10000000x better than the sub, since Harima actually sounds like a thug and the comedy works so well in a native language setting).

Jul 13, 2013 10:40 AM

Mar 2013
Objurgo said:
no elfen lied had pretty bad voice acting in both the sub and the dub and is proof that japanese voice acting is not perfect.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 13, 2013 10:41 AM

Sep 2012
No, they're always bad.
Jul 13, 2013 10:43 AM

Sep 2012
HOTD's dub is fantastic.

But dubs sound extra terrible on ecchi "moe" shows because it becomes that much more apparent how unrealistically, immaturely, obnoxiously, and retarded the characters are behaving.

It breaks your suspension of disbelief faster, because it's easier to point out how unnatural it sounds and feels. It's easier to realize that they don't feel like real people.

It's not about voice acting, it's about the script. (And by script, I don't just mean dialogue, I mean everything. Like character behavior, motivation, maturity, etc).
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 3 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

118 by TheMechaManiac »»
9 minutes ago

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - Yesterday

25 by animegamer245 »»
12 minutes ago

» Is the concept of a villain stupid?

Anjuro - 6 hours ago

23 by APolygons2 »»
20 minutes ago

» Score Inflation

Lucifrost - 2 hours ago

12 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
37 minutes ago

» Anime sequels that fell off ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - May 11

55 by ysosseriouss »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.