Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 6, 2013 9:21 PM

Mar 2013
Despite the trailer, this had virtually no little girls splayed in compromising positions so, aside from a few things that didn't make sense, I'm pleasantly surprised at least.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Jul 6, 2013 9:32 PM

Jun 2011
So far this is really interesting, and I especially love the tarot card theme. Can't wait to see which characters represent which cards.
Jul 6, 2013 9:45 PM

Feb 2013
Loooooooooove the tarot card theme. This first episode was rather messy and (as previously mentioned) had poor pacing. Whatever, the action scenes were nicely executed and the plot is intriguing. I'll keep watching for sure. Watching this kind of reminded me of Princess Tutu for some reason... Maybe it was the exaggerated proportions in the character designs or the semi-confusing plot in the beginning, I'm not sure. Well, I loved Madoka and Princess Tutu, so hopefully I will love this too.
bakcheiaJul 6, 2013 9:52 PM
Jul 6, 2013 10:12 PM

Jun 2012
That was way better than expected. It looks like it will stand above and apart from the rest of mahou shoujo anime after that episode.
Jul 6, 2013 10:29 PM
Sep 2010
That was pretty... something. I didn't like it much at all. Not sure I even want to give it another episode. I like darker series, but I don't know about this one. Hmm..

OP is mediocre at best. Not a fan of LiSA's voice. Didn't listen to the ED.
Jul 6, 2013 10:30 PM

Apr 2009
ZenErik said:
That was pretty... something. I didn't like it much at all.

Summed up my feelings perfectly. Really, what the hell.
Jul 6, 2013 10:47 PM

Mar 2012
This can be one of the most epic series this season. Hope this won't dissapoint me.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 6, 2013 11:15 PM
Jan 2010
It was pretentious — take it as you will. But it looks like it really impressed a lot of people.
Jul 7, 2013 12:11 AM
Nov 2012
Orix said:
It was pretentious — take it as you will. But it looks like it really impressed a lot of people.

Would you like to qualify that?
Jul 7, 2013 1:27 AM

Sep 2008
I hate all the character designs with a passion.
Jul 7, 2013 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
That's because they're all a bunch of over-sized bobble heads

Jul 7, 2013 3:43 AM

Jan 2012
little girls with magic and tarot cards. i'm on it ^^
Jul 7, 2013 4:34 AM
Mar 2013
very interesting Theme with the Tarot Cards, and when Akari killed her cousin and the day Reset i think what happened is when Akari stabbed the tarot card her Cousins Fate (the Tarot Card) was Removed from the World, Hence why the Day reset and went on as if she was never there, but thats just my outlook on it. All and all a very interesting and Dark Anime i will be looking forward to each week.
Jul 7, 2013 6:32 AM

Jan 2013
I rather liked it compaired to other things I've seen this week.
Jul 7, 2013 7:36 AM

Apr 2010
The build up was a bit slow but after that it got pretty nice from the moment the niece started to crack.
The genres aren't clear yet it was a bit mild for horror but i would still rate it a thriller judging from this first episode.
Jul 7, 2013 8:22 AM

Jun 2013
awesome opening! i really enjoyed the music throughout the episode too, it was very beautiful/enchanting, it felt almost like i was watching a miyazaki movie or something. cool first ep.
Jul 7, 2013 8:56 AM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
BattousaiLuffy said:
awesome opening! i really enjoyed the music throughout the episode too, it was very beautiful/enchanting, it felt almost like i was watching a miyazaki movie or something. cool first ep.

I liked the music as well, although I'm not quite sure about the Miyazaki part.

Anyway, I reviewed it, there's no pictures because meh pictures and I'm on my ipad.

http://sirensrequiem.wordpress.com/2013/07/07/siren-reviews-day-break-illusion-episode-1/
Jul 7, 2013 9:00 AM

Jun 2011
Kind of a bland experience, ended up being bored though the episode was pretty fast-paced. Guess this show just isn't for me.
Jul 7, 2013 9:52 AM

Nov 2007
This was really poorly paced. None of the dramatic turns had any impact. Maaaybe if they had taken a bit more time to develop things I'd be more interested. Don't think I'll be watching another episode.
Jul 7, 2013 10:40 AM
Oct 2010
Orix said:
Loved the irony.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 7, 2013 10:53 AM

May 2010
Another magical girl that has some violence image in there, just my kind of thing

So far the animation, character design, plot and the music is good except that one girl who died and somehow her existence is erased which is pretty messed up

But I still I like it so a 8/10
Jul 7, 2013 10:59 AM

Jul 2010
Is this a tribute to Madoka Magica? Anyway, I like the OST and I don't like the design. But yeah, it seems a promising series. I will wait 2-3 more episodes to give a complete impression.
Jul 7, 2013 11:03 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
This could either turn out to be the next Madoka or the next Symphogear depending on how it goes. The best would be to turn out into something of its own and completely different from anything we have seen so far. I hope that is the case.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 7, 2013 12:15 PM

Jul 2012
Kinda rushed, but for the first episode of a 13 episode series, this has become one of my top ones to watch this season for the reason that it shows a lot of potential.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Jul 7, 2013 1:05 PM

Mar 2013
Wasn't going to watch it (barely even knew it existed) until I saw Madoka Magica was recommended for it. This show is definitely dark like it but the moe character designs are a little strange. A little confusing but I'm sure it'll clear up next episode.
Jul 7, 2013 1:15 PM
May 2013
Not knowing anything about it going in, I went out on a limb and I was pleasantly surprised.

I didn't find it all that hard to follow/confusing, the only question I have is that was the day reset because of the main character's psychological shock?

It didn't seem like anything was reset upon defeating the 2nd tarot monster, so I guess she inadvertently used some of her magic to change the timeline.
Jul 7, 2013 1:16 PM

Jan 2011
Just to remind the people making the rather spurious comparisons to Madoka that one of the reasons it is considered such a game changer is that up until Episode 3 when that happened, it seemed to be a pretty typical magical girl show. That sudden dark turn had two effects: the spontaneous generation of the Madoka Rule (always watch at least three episodes before you judge just what an anime is all about), and the dawning realization that you could not take anything in that show at face value

While a dark take on the Mahou Shoujo genre, there are no indications that this show will be, or intends to be, another Madoka. The pacing of episode 1 was such that the big shock (death of the cousin and the reset) came early and without a lot of backstory or motivation for that character. As it stands we've had the basic background laid out for us (good against evil, magickal girls whose powers come from the Tarot, unexplained death of mc's mother indicating multigenerational struggle) but this looks to be a fairly straight ahead version of post-Madoka MS fare.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 7, 2013 1:21 PM

Jun 2010
Oh wow. Nice, nice. Great start.

Yep, pretty similar to Madoka which is good.

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Nice tentacle rape 5/5

Oh, also the OP. LiSA too good!
Jul 7, 2013 2:59 PM

May 2013
I was hoping that the cousin would be successful in killing the main character. She is awful. I'm giving this til episode 3, it does however not look too good atm.
RegalizJul 8, 2013 8:11 AM
Jul 7, 2013 3:13 PM

Apr 2010
rodac said:
Just to remind the people making the rather spurious comparisons to Madoka that one of the reasons it is considered such a game changer is that up until Episode 3 when that happened, it seemed to be a pretty typical magical girl show. That sudden dark turn had two effects: the spontaneous generation of the Madoka Rule (always watch at least three episodes before you judge just what an anime is all about), and the dawning realization that you could not take anything in that show at face value

While a dark take on the Mahou Shoujo genre, there are no indications that this show will be, or intends to be, another Madoka. The pacing of episode 1 was such that the big shock (death of the cousin and the reset) came early and without a lot of backstory or motivation for that character. As it stands we've had the basic background laid out for us (good against evil, magickal girls whose powers come from the Tarot, unexplained death of mc's mother indicating multigenerational struggle) but this looks to be a fairly straight ahead version of post-Madoka MS fare.
Funny how you compare it to Madoka personally i haven't thought of Madoka at all while watching this.
To be honest i was thinking of Blood C where the first few episodes where full of joy and ended with a bloody fight.
Only latter on in that anime it started to turn dark.
It happens a lot in horror to start of nice calm and pleasant and than build up to a dark setting.

I can see why some people compare this to Madoka but from a personal view i agree with you it's still to early to say something about that.
For now i think the difference in character and style is still to big with that of Madoka.
And to be honest i do not see this go in the same direction as Madoka from the looks of it might be more brutal it might also be much softer like Nanoha.
However it would be nice to see mahou shoujo that deals with death and some brutal scenes.
Jul 7, 2013 4:53 PM

Apr 2012
very confusing episode, there were a lot of questions left but I look forward to the next episode ^.^
Jul 7, 2013 5:01 PM

Dec 2011
I did not expect a corpse to show up in episode 1...and then have Fuyuna get erased from existence altogether. This surprised me, in a good way. Hopefully they can keep it up.

For more impressions, analysis, random comments, and a boatload of screenshots, check out my post at Random Curiosity: http://randomc.net/2013/07/07/genei-wo-kakeru-taiyou-01/
Stilts
Writer
http://randomc.net/
Jul 7, 2013 5:05 PM

May 2013
I absolutely HATE the character designs. But I love everything else. Guess they'll have to grow on me.
Jul 7, 2013 6:10 PM

Oct 2008
Ninsun said:
I absolutely HATE the character designs. But I love everything else. Guess they'll have to grow on me.

Two things I don't understand.
WHY do people hate the character designs? I'm not picking on you, but everyone who has said hasn't said WHY... Please enlighten me. What is it specifically? Lucky star character designs? Too many colours?

The second is people need to stop bringing up Madoka. The only thing that's similar is that it's a dark themed mahou shoujo. Comparisons end there. Just because people die in Nirai Nikki and people die in Code Geass don't make them similar animes...
Jul 7, 2013 6:18 PM
Sep 2011
Omniknight said:

WHY do people hate the character designs? I'm not picking on you, but everyone who has said hasn't said WHY... Please enlighten me. What is it specifically? Lucky star character designs?

I don't HATE them, but I don't think they look good. They have really thin bodies, large, round heads and chipmunk moe moe faces like something out of K-On.

I hate to do exactly what you just said not to, but in Madoka I didn't really like how deliberately cutesy the designs were, in contrast to the dark tone. I'm seeing a more subtle version of it here. They're not quite as moeblob as K-On, and they're not widefaces, but they're still pretty cutesy.

If not for the belly, I would have mistaken that pregnant woman in the first few minutes for a loli.
Jul 7, 2013 6:21 PM

Dec 2011
Omniknight said:
Two things I don't understand.
WHY do people hate the character designs? I'm not picking on you, but everyone who has said hasn't said WHY... Please enlighten me. What is it specifically? Lucky star character designs? Too many colours?

Idk about everyone else, but I personally was really distracted by the character designs because all the girls look stick thin and have HUGE heads. I suppose it was to make them look cute, but it just made them look weird, unproportional and anorexic to me.
Jul 7, 2013 6:32 PM

Oct 2008
RLinksoul said:
Omniknight said:

WHY do people hate the character designs? I'm not picking on you, but everyone who has said hasn't said WHY... Please enlighten me. What is it specifically? Lucky star character designs?

I don't HATE them, but I don't think they look good. They have really thin bodies, large, round heads and chipmunk moe moe faces like something out of K-On.

I hate to do exactly what you just said not to, but in Madoka I didn't really like how deliberately cutesy the designs were, in contrast to the dark tone. I'm seeing a more subtle version of it here. They're not quite as moeblob as K-On, and they're not widefaces, but they're still pretty cutesy.

If not for the belly, I would have mistaken that pregnant woman in the first few minutes for a loli.

I totally agree with you on that pregnant woman. That definitely did stand out to me.

The cutesy faces is something I hope they would do away with as well, but then again, this is a mahou shoujo. Cutesy faces + facial expressions of horror = cognitive dissonance is probably what they are going for. Now just imagine a girl from this anime hooking up with a guy from Free!

Now that you mention it, I do now notice that the heads are disproportionately big, but for some reason, I doesn't bother me... A quick run through of the episode again and it varies quite a bit now that I'm paying attention to it. Sometimes they are huge, other times they are more normal.

Slowpoke_ said:
This shit better not be like Madoka.
Madoka lacked in many areas.

I agree, it lacked monster of the week, boring antagonists with no real depths to their motives, happy go lucky worlds and paper thin plots where no one is ever hurt. Incidentally, all things I hate with a passion.

OmniknightJul 7, 2013 6:41 PM
Jul 7, 2013 6:37 PM

Jan 2012
This shit better not be like Madoka.
Madoka lacked in many areas.
Jul 7, 2013 6:54 PM

Jul 2012
Omniknight said:

I agree, it lacked monster of the week, boring antagonists with no real depths to their motives, happy go lucky worlds and paper thin plots where no one is ever hurt. Incidentally, all things I hate with a passion.

What's wrong with happy go lucky worlds and places where no one ever gets hurt? :|
Jul 7, 2013 7:28 PM

Jun 2010
The first episode was rushed. While I find the atmosphere edgy, I cannot stand those designs.
Jul 7, 2013 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
ihateeveryone said:
Omniknight said:

What's wrong with happy go lucky worlds and places where no one ever gets hurt? :|

that's what I'm tryna say. happy go lucky worlds and places where no one ever gets hurt are good things.
Jul 7, 2013 7:51 PM
Jan 2013
Okay. The moment I saw Akari transform and pull out a flame sword. I thought of a super moe version of Shana. Shana duplicate!!!
Jul 7, 2013 8:15 PM
Sep 2011
Omniknight said:

Because the emotionless weasel with the flawed theory of entropy and the upside-down mindless laughing gear-puppet are such deep antagonists.
Jul 7, 2013 9:10 PM

Jun 2013
Well, I actually like how they just throw a bunch of events that bring up tons of question, keeps people watching. Definitely is going to keep me watching for sure.

THAT OP!!! Animation and music in that OP is so freakin' amazing!

Also, a lot of people are gonna compare this to Madoka since they're both dark magical girl anime's, which is sad because this series is looking pretty good from episode 1.
Jul 7, 2013 10:02 PM

Aug 2010
I can definitely see myself getting into this, and MMMM that OP.
Jul 7, 2013 10:11 PM

Oct 2012
OP and ED great, the first episode was really good and left a lot of questions for you. Def going to continue watching it.
Jul 7, 2013 11:51 PM

Jul 2012
singleturbo said:
Very Madoka-like IMO.

That girl that (died?) was her cousin right? Kinda odd that it wasn't explained what happened to her, since she was completely forgotten. Maybe Akari will remember later?

I also see a cat named Schrödinger is in this, ha I wanted to name my cat that for lulz.

Schrödinger? There is? I must've missed that. Well then I think I have a better understanding of what they might be going for with the plot of this now. I guess the idea for the thing with Fuyuna is based on the Schrodinger's cat thought experiment and quantum mechanics?

What happened in this anime episode seemed somewhat similar to that, but not exactly the same.
Jul 7, 2013 11:51 PM

Apr 2013
Great episode and OP. Quite msterious especially that anniversary repeating itself.
Jul 8, 2013 1:17 AM

Aug 2011
A very slow build-up but it became more enjoyable during the fire monster battle. Although that part was a little rushed, I enjoyed the mystery surrounding the girls' powers.

Amazing songs for both the OP and ED, I had to watch the former again because of how great it was by being a contrast to the blissful opening scene. Give me more edgy, blood and loli and this might be a really fun ride.
Jul 8, 2013 1:58 AM
Oct 2010
RLinksoul said:

"spoilers".

Either way no need to start the MSMM bashing in this thread. As for why I think the character designs are awful, the overly large heads don't do anything for me and my perceived age of the characters is annoying me to. But tbh, the character designs aren't near as bad when they are in mahou shoujo mode since the costumes sorta balance out the ridiculous head sizes and faces.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2013

65 by BadMeme »»
Aug 10, 2022 4:57 PM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

49 by SuperGalaxy211 »»
Apr 11, 2020 8:29 AM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2013

83 by removed-user »»
Oct 2, 2019 6:26 AM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

54 by tokidoki921 »»
Sep 10, 2019 1:01 PM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2013

121 by removed-user »»
May 14, 2019 7:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.