Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Feb 5, 2016 5:01 PM

Apr 2012
This episode was really chilling. The happy-faced drone advising that woman to seek "stress relief" or whatever as she was being beaten to death by a hammer, as hundreds of people stood by and took videos of it. The implications of such a complacent society :(
Feb 13, 2016 11:07 AM
Jan 2012
good episode. Shogo is inteligent and ingenious for inventing gadgets for confuse sybil system. I like de finally this episode. I wait more action.
Feb 13, 2016 11:31 AM
Jan 2012
good episode. Makishima is very intelligente. The music of ending favorable to shipping.
Apr 9, 2016 7:02 PM

Aug 2014
Disgusting scene, (the murder in-front of everyone in the street) not logical at all, even in this kind of society.
Bad Episode.
Ep12,13 were pretty good though.
May 21, 2016 10:12 AM

Aug 2010
Whoa it's not even like a knife but seemingly 'harmless' "daily tools" like scissors and pens but those stabbings were pretty gory o___o

It seems that the argument of the good and bad of the Sybil system is resurfacing more and more now (increasingly the bad, as the characters find out and as Makisihima has more dialogues). I like it, it is interesting. And Makishima raised some valid points too; I'm beginning to reconsider whether Makishima is indeed the "psychopath" he seems to be when he first appeared...
Sep 5, 2016 1:19 PM

Mar 2015
I was pissed at the murder scenes. Sybil or not, there's no way people would just stand and look, or not run away from a clearly suspicious person with a fucking helmet pulling out a hammer :| There's always the survival instinct, and you can't just kill it by "an atmosphere of trust."
Jan 20, 2017 5:23 AM

Apr 2016
When they were about to go after the helmet guys:

"Wait a minute Ginoza, if our dominators won't work on them, aren't we basically unarmed?"

^^good point

"Focus on what we need to do, let's go!"

^^ wait what? That's not an answer xD What are they supposed to do since their dominators won't work?
Feb 4, 2017 12:04 PM

May 2016
I'm also glad as Kogami that the dominator didn't turn into that Eliminator I don't like this Sybyl system it's a really mess that the world has fallen into it.
Mar 8, 2017 1:37 AM

Sep 2016
fuck i lost my shit at that scene were the masked guy publicly demolishes that lady. certainly the worst thing about that was the drone beeing drawn to the scene not because there was a murder happening but because she was extremely stressed in that situation. omfg thats consequential storytelling!
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Apr 19, 2017 9:41 AM

May 2010
Wth these people see a woman being beaten to death and they just stare at it like a movie scene? Even record it? Disgusting. Listen, we all have our instincts. Sibyl or not, those instincts can't just disappear so easily. Either that scene was poorly done or those people are just not human anymore. Trashy people like them don't even deserve to be saved. Oh ye trash is more beautiful than them, I forgot. Almost. I believe that scene was just there to make more of us agree with Makishima. While he makes solid points here n there, I would never side with him. Tyvm. Hes just another extreme and I don't dig that.

About the OP foreshadowing, I believe its saying that Kougami will manage to corner Makishima but Akane being Akane will shoot him before he gets to kill Makishima for some reason. Hopefully I am wrong but one thing I am certain about: while Kougami and Akane have many similarities, they have some key differences. The OP might be a sign of that. I just hope its not a, uh, very horrible sign.
TragicRomanceApr 19, 2017 9:55 AM
Jun 22, 2017 3:10 PM

May 2013
LOL the start came on strong xD very noice

Kou is so smart. Proven once again C:
Jul 11, 2017 12:54 AM
May 2017
damn tf was that start? some guy kills a woman and they stare happily lmao what.

Jul 24, 2017 8:50 AM

Mar 2014
ugh that scene in the middle of the street was very disturbing. Poor woman. And it turns out Makishima can fight too lol. This case is becoming increasingly difficult while simultaneously denoting the defects of the sibyl system but it was interesting how Kougami discovered the trick behind the crime coefficients being low.
Oct 27, 2017 10:57 AM

Aug 2016
wait wait wait wait wait wait wait

So firstly, it's within my realm of suspension of disbelief that it is possible to create a system which can numerically design a person's potential to commit a crime. But given that, why is it that people are inable to create an AI system that is unable to recognize a crime being committed without the aid of a psychopass reading. If you ask me, it would be much more difficult to code the former than the latter. So why isn't that system in place?

Secondly,why is it that people just stand around when a crime is being committed right in front of them? People no longer needing to be wary of crime due to the Sybil System doesn't mean they are unable to recognize a crime being committed. If that were the case, not only would people not have the CC's increase when witnessing a crime, but then how would people know whether or not they're breaking the law. If you yourself are unable to recognize someone breaking the law, then you have no understanding of what the law is.

I get that the show is supposed to present a somewhat dystopian society, but that doesn't mean it has free reign to make life shitty like this. Especially when dealing with something futuristic like Psycho Pass, it is important that the dystopian society is a product of logically attempting to achieve some sort of ideal as well as provide commentary on that ideal. Up until this point, everything had remained fairly logical. There's no reason the Dominators should be able to shoot robots for example, but hey, I'll accept it. But honestly, what the fuck were they even doing with this episode?
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Apr 14, 2018 8:53 AM
Apr 2018
Nothing has really sent me chills into that guy just hammered the lady while everyone watched normally. The actual crime didn't send me chills, it was the fact there was such little human reaction. It was so uncanny valley to me. I already thought this anime was amazing, but it really is outdoing itself - it's great.
Aug 23, 2018 6:02 PM
Mar 2017
this show is really well written. i still feel like it a rushed this whole concept a bit, maybe they could've split it in two episodes... they dealt way too fast with such new hacking of the system. regardless, maybe my favorite episode so far
Dec 28, 2018 1:37 AM

May 2016
The Bystander Effect was shown in full action and the whole spectacle was as disgusting as it can get with everyone just going on with their own business in the pharmacy and everyone just standing there as the woman gets beaten to death helplessly. They've gotten so complacent with their mostly safe lives that their brains just shut off when something that's thought to be impossible happened. The onlookers that whipped out their phones were extra disgusting.

The helmets being able to replicate the Psycho-Pass of a nearby person shows that the Sibyl System is getting more and more holes punctured into it. Shogo being able to handle himself in hand-to-hand combat against three definitely showed that Shinya's training wasn't anything superficial.

Jan 28, 2019 6:27 PM
Jul 2016
Watching the Akane have flashbacks of her friend dying, as well as the last episode where she relived the memory of it made me realize something... she's one of them isn't she?

A Psychopath.

Or whatever the show will get around to calling them. A person who's hue will not change regardless of what she encounters... and in the future does. Afterall it's been well established that her Psycho-pass is remarkably stable.

Perhaps Shogo started off like her, accepting the system but gradually realizing that things were not right. Now that's not to say that she will end up like him, but she's more similar to him than she and the others around her realizes.
Mar 10, 2019 8:16 PM

Mar 2019
That hammer scene was messed up.. Love how everyone's just standing around watching or filming.. Scarily seems like a lot of people in this day and age as well.
Mar 22, 2019 4:44 PM

Nov 2016
Makishima is too lethal lol.

And dayum, that second kill was really macabre. Not just because of the mindless crowd, but also due to the drone with it's mocking questions.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 18, 2019 4:16 AM

Nov 2017
Damn this show is getting so interesting

May 30, 2019 4:01 AM

Aug 2017
Ok, that hammer scene very disturbing. ppl just stand and look made it even scarier.

The Sybil system has so many flaws. It seems that Makishima can fight. Good for him.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 6, 2019 11:53 AM

Dec 2014
I am glad they found a way to counter it
Jul 9, 2019 2:02 AM

Dec 2018
Weirdly, I found it killing using an ordinary stationary is more disturbing than a sharp weapon, like knife or axe. Maybe they did a good job at potraying how distrubing it is.

Makishima's goal was revolution, probably. And Akane sooner or later will be joining him.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jul 23, 2019 5:57 AM

May 2016
Well this might have reached a peak in stupidity here with that whole "brutal murder in public in front of dozens, and literally no one reacts to it in the slightest" scene.

The citizens have been shown to react as one would expect them to, towards any and all crimes up till now... Literally every public crime has had people screaming, running... And the victims of said crimes weren't in an absolute state of disbelief either. Everybody's coefficient has been shown to rise by being exposed to the crimes as well. Furthermore, this crime here didn't start as anything insanely shocking/unbelievable--but just a beating.
And such things really shouldn't be so alien to them since this show HAS shown that violent crimes do happen pretty regularly. And that the society DO know of enforcers and their work. And the possibility of someone dodging check-ups and the like.
Plus I would also think that in such a "pure" society such violent crimes would have an even bigger spotlight placed on them... And there would be more and more discussion about such things as they get more and more alien--we as humans will always have a deep fear of the unknown and that which we are unprepared for. And the world didn't exactly change to how it is now THAT long ago did it...

Aaaaah, I could go on. Why the fuck would you pull this plot point out of your arse like this show. Good shock requires some depth and planning. This just feels like the writers deciding "oh this would be a cool concept to explore" and realising "oh this would be shocking to the audience" halfway into the story, not realising the actual impact of it, and how it's way too much of a change to make this far in.

Well, as stupid as this episode was, it was still as enjoyable as usual. I'm looking forward to the descent into chaos that has been teased these last few episodes. Definitely feels like it's ramping up to something.
Also whenever this track plays -https://youtu.be/dr3ryeDVpJE
Godamn does it makes it all the more kickass.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2019 5:38 PM

Nov 2016
This's some fked up world, why everyone just bystander there, there's still people that believes in some sort of justice beside Sybil, like Akane or Kagami, how come no one felt like that, they feel like machines at that point that just do whatever Sybil deem good or bad. Like they lost their sense of awareness, their eyes looked blank too... Anyhow good episode.
Jan 24, 2020 6:09 AM
Aug 2016
As time goes by, human living under Sibyl system soon forget what death means..just like what Kogami ask, what exactly is crime.
Mar 8, 2020 10:42 PM
Review Moderator
Mar 2018
This episode showed that if humans become dependent on a flawed system for moral guidance, then a woman can be murdered right in front of their eyes.
Also, Makishima has some impressive hand-to-hand combat skills.

Floating Around...

"You're loved as deeply as the ocean reaches"

Mar 10, 2020 5:53 PM

Aug 2007
All of the episodes so far felt average up until this one.
I feel like the characters are starting to feel a bit more interesting and we are finally digging into some dystopian themes.

Aug 15, 2020 12:52 AM
Oct 2017
Are we meant to be supporting Makashima at this point?

Because the Sibyl System definitely feels like the villain here
Nov 9, 2020 3:35 PM

Apr 2020
So Makishima is a person who rejects technology, someone like him cannot adapt to the changing world
Dec 1, 2020 12:09 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
My crime coefficient just skyrocketed watching those people stand around a brutal crime taking place right in front of them but doing nothing

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 31, 2020 4:21 PM
Apr 2016
I can see how they're trying to rationalize everybody ignoring the assault, but I'm still not buying it — people aren't sheltered maidens en-masse, they've nonetheless been exposed to crimes and cruelty whether through the internet or books; and you can't really refute that because people in Bureau exist! People strive to uphold justice and thus you can infer that people have access to at least rudimentary criminology out there. Moreover, "death" is a concept that is fundamentally ingrained in humans, it's not something you "learn." Makishima clearly blabbers about people losing their sense of justice because of how society is in their world, but truth be told, people "void of conscience" are the ones that were fed evil with the pretext of it being "justice." This whole show was already heavily reliant on pseudo-psychology, but at this point I wonder just how asinine our author's EQ is — he doesn't understand how humans truly would be in their world, so I just have to sit and scrutinize all his errors. It would be all assumptions on my part too, but so it is on his.

I also don't understand, is our gang the only group of policemen out there? Literally every time there's a crime it's our group that gets sent, it's NEVER a different one.
Oct 5, 2021 8:52 PM

Sep 2014
Tis episode pissed me off due to the indifference the crowd showed to the woman being beaten to death and it also forced me to turn on English subs for a couple of minutes because I couldn't understand how Shinya figured out the criminals helmet trick. 10/10 for making me do that. I am satisfied with how the helmets were handled because it still gives the Sibyl system a shot at being 'effective'. It would have been terrible if these helmets just flat out masked your crime coefficient.
Join Mastodon
Dec 26, 2021 2:30 PM

Oct 2019
That episode was terrible! Particularly for that one scene.

First of all, I understand that this, such as any other anime, is a work of fiction and fantasy and as such I won't watch it expecting everything to be believable. HOWEVER, there are still limits, even in fantasy stories, you can't pass in order to make such a story palpable; in order to make sense out of it. That's why good writing is always a requirement for good stories.

And I think they went way beyond the limit with the scene in which a murderer kill a woman in cold blood, hammering her head over and over again for dozens of time, in front of dozens of people in a very public place and NO ONE reacts to it with even a glimpse of shock or disbelief. Everyone just stands there, watching it like they were watching cars passing by on the street.

It was stupid as fuck! And if society was like that, it was long dead already with a bunch of walking brainless zombies.

I kinda like the concept of the story behind the plot. I like the idea of this society that grew reliant of what looks like a very advanced and infallible security system which detects potential criminals even before they commit crimes and avoid punishing innocents by reading a whole bunch of data from their bodies and brains. It's an interesting lore and with tons of potential to be explored, indeed.

But the plot doesn't help... I was finding the main characters mostly very "two sided" (either too evil, or too good) but I was dealing alright with that as most anime, movies and tv shows suffer from this sort of issue anyway. But it's hard to stand a plot in which, other than the main character, everyone else is unbelievably stupid just for the sake of it.

In the episode they even tried to give an explanation for the lack of behavior from the crowd, but I was until it's end expecting them to address something else, because it definitely wasn't reason enough to justify it. Basically, the citizens are too accustomed to the system, so they don't judge anything by themselves... which is contradictory even to the plot itself, because if that was the case the previous victims of murders would never freak out before actually knowing the Sybil judgment of their offenders; and that doesn't make sense at all.

Bad episode for what, until now, it has been a very average anime. I am starting to believe that this is one of the most overrated anime I have watched based on MAL scores... I expected much better, specially given how well some people use to talk about it. Hopefully it gets better.
KssioAugDec 26, 2021 2:36 PM
Jan 3, 2022 8:15 AM

Dec 2007
episodes just keeping improving and improving.
makishima's ideal are better than i thought, i actually agree with him, the sibyl system just keeping getting thrashed in every episode lol.

oh and i love that psycho pass gives new definition to "violence" lol
Jan 17, 2022 6:42 AM

Mar 2020
lol this edgy shit is so over the top. “someone is getting beaten to death with a fuckin hammer in front of us but psycho-pass didn’t go brrrr so is ok”
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jul 10, 2022 4:44 PM

May 2020
Anyone that thinks the public murder scene is unrealistic should do a search for Kitty Genovese. Now imagine a society in which everyone is complacent and brainwashed into believing crime is impossible. Unfortunately, that scene from this episode far more realistic than any of us would like to believe.
Jul 13, 2022 11:08 AM

Dec 2020
thought it was just some another guy who could keep his crime coefficient low just like makishima, but turns out it was the freakin helmet

that aside, i'm not trying to justify makishima for what he does and all but he's still right about how they all live like sheep, getting themselves so accustomed to this system which is something to be highly wrong about.
anxi0usgum1Feb 16, 2023 1:42 PM
Oct 23, 2022 4:49 PM
Sep 2016
This show is so good.
Dec 21, 2022 2:54 PM
Sep 2017
The story is very well-written. Initially it felt like the author was hand-holding the audience to understand certain bits. But with the recent episodes, the world-building and intricacies of how the system works + what does "criminally asymptomatic" exactly mean has become clearer.

I find it troubling that the system being flawed is being used a way to make the villain seem reasonable. In a way I find it to be a cheap way. Still, it does make sense that the villain (Makishima) is standing against society, and this is his way of creating awareness. So, the show is developing quite well.

I also hope to see Ginoza and the other enforcers being in the spotlight. Kougami has been the only one who has been single-handedly going against Makishima. The teamwork between the detectives and the enforcers feels forced to put it simply.

For my own reference, I also wanted to point out that individuals such as Makishima are able to maintain a clear psycho-pass because their body does not create respond to crimes. They just remain calm and composed because of which they come off as good citizens but psychotic in the viewers' eyes. He is also able to use 'tricks' to calm himself down as seen during his encounter with Tsunemori. His crime coefficient kept decreasing probably because of mental strategies to help him calm down. This is still supernatural because humans are designed to feel squeamish at the sight of blood. But for an individual who has experienced physical trauma or such, it isn't far-fetched to develop an emotional immunity to bloody gruesomeness.
May 27, 2023 3:16 AM

Apr 2013
I hope we'll get more explanation than just "This helmet takes the psycho-pass of someone within 30 meters".
Jun 19, 2023 7:34 PM

Dec 2022
Having a minimally staffed law enforcement bureau like the PSB deal with every single crime is a terrible idea. Some sort of police force or combat robots stationed around cities to respond more quickly (if not immediately) to crimes would be more effective.

One of those thugs had a knife and was standing behind Shougo doing absolutely nothing while his buddies were getting attacked. Could've just stabbed him while he was doing that, but he was still staring off into space when he was finally the centre of attention.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 25, 2023 11:03 PM
Nov 2016
Ok, I'm enjoying this anime so far, it's a nice 8/10 anime but this episode is retarded and a bit decent at the same time but for fucks sake, don't go full retard, I hated a particular scene that was full retard here and it was:

"Wait a minute Ginoza, if our dominators won't work on them, aren't we basically unarmed?"
"Focus on what we need to do, let's go!"

This right here is going full retard mode, there is absolutely no way in hell that Ginoza will just say that stupid line, he knows very well that they are unarmed at this point, the system is being tricked and he knows it, he's not dumb, and he still says that stupid line knowing that their guns will probably not work with them and cops, enforcers or whatever going at it with no weapons is just dumb... what the fuck, man, don't go full retard like this now.
Jul 16, 2023 8:04 PM

Aug 2019
I miss the previous opening, but this new opening is actually really good too.

I cannot believe this? The robot was giving her a warning about her stress level, like, Bruh, she’s getting murdered, of course her stress levels are going to increase. And this happened in front of multiple people on a busy street. Im also surprised there was security or authorities near the areas
Jul 29, 2023 12:43 PM
Aug 2022
Did he get dry cleaned the coat on the victim and wearin it now?
Aug 28, 2023 8:07 AM

Jul 2012
Stupid system and stupid society who depend too much on the system..

Basically they r (the polices) unarmed if they still depend on those gun..

Dec 26, 2023 4:49 AM
Jul 2021
Another great episode. So a mask that bypasses the scanners, wonder how Makishima found the flaw in the Sibyl system
Jan 22, 1:17 AM
Jun 2023
I call this a bs episode, so someone was able to replicate exactly what kind of sensors the scanners are capturing, and is able to replicate instantly a normal person's psycho pass and maintain the readings for the entire day when the criminal is out and about, and not having to rely on some supercomputer like the girl mentioned. Even when the criminal is moving around, shogo said the operating range is only 30 meters which means whichever device he is using needs to be constantly scanning around, instantly identifying which other person had the normal hue and switching from one person to another person without a single millisecond delay, or else the scanner is going to capture the psycho pass of the criminal themselves during the delays. Unless whoever came up with this unrealistic technology understands really well how the sibyl system works then I don't think this is even remotely possible. I know this is just an anime but this is very unrealistic.

Also I found a plot hole, someone was just beaten and died in front of all bystanders, and yet none of the bystanders' hue were rising to the criminal state. Even more of a bs because this contradicts the entire premise of the series.

I get that shogo gets the plot armor of being able to defeat the scanner with his strong will. But having this alien technology just makes the show even more absurd and it kind of deviates from the original premise.
nyankanaJan 22, 1:29 AM
Feb 20, 3:27 AM
Aug 2023
This is just too stupid now with the woman beaten the death with the hammer in front of so many people. The reason they give is the bystanders couldn't recognize what they were seeing, if they're really that clueless then no matter what the main bad guy tries to do to convince them the system is flawed, won't work. This society's people are literally too stupid to live, thus they'll be too stupid to be dissuaded from following the system...the main bad guy has already lost. That is if this show's writing was actually consistent and realistic, but really the show is just awful with non-sensical crap like this.

The anime executes the scenes very well, but the scenes just makes no sense when thought about. This non-sensical crap is ruining what should have been a pretty good show if it was better written. It would have made more sense if they played off the bystanders thinking it was some sort of street performance and not real, rather than them having no clue what was happening. In fact, the point the show was trying to make with that scene might have been more poignant if the bystanders were laughing and applauding mistakenly thinking it was just some sort of performance, rather than befuddled and confused at what they were witnessing. The bystanders making a mistake means they're still reasonable thinking people otherwise, but the bystanders not being able to process what was happening even means they're totally hopeless and meaningless, so it's pointless to try to say or do anything about them.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2013

293 by scorpioniclibra »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2013

331 by scorpioniclibra »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2012

726 by scorpioniclibra »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2012

262 by scorpioniclibra »»
Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jenanime - Nov 1, 2012

306 by scorpioniclibra »»
Yesterday, 9:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.