Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »
Jan 4, 2015 3:49 AM
Apr 2013
Wat?
Jan 10, 2015 12:34 AM

Nov 2013
I should probably rewatch this movie because everyone seems to think it is fucking terrible.

Jan 10, 2015 2:31 PM

Jul 2012
MrsKiryuin said:
Wat?
Feb 15, 2015 4:06 PM
Jul 2013
Was there a plot to this film?
Feb 17, 2015 11:07 AM

Jun 2013
Arcana-XII said:
Was there a plot to this film?
It was there, you just have to actually think about it. Something that Evangelion has been known for (outside of 1.0 and 2.0).

DissonantSoul said:
I should probably rewatch this movie because everyone seems to think it is fucking terrible.

Only the vocal minority do. You should see the sales this thing got.
Mar 4, 2015 7:11 PM

Oct 2013
Despite the low ratings my expectations weren't that high but they got proven wrong, I personally thought this was a pretty great movie, the action parts weren't on the level of 2.22 but were still good, same goes for the OST which was still great.

Soo.. Asuka is basically 28 now hehe, let's also not forget that badass punch on the glass, can't wait for the next movie to come out.

Mar 29, 2015 11:54 AM

Feb 2015
At last rebuilds seperate themselves from the original apart from Shinji. IDIOT SHINJI is back and Rei is again emotionless meatbag. The interaction between Kaworu and Shinji is surprisingly good though Kaworu can sometimes be overly dramatic. I enjoyed it much more than 2.22 and 1.11.
Apr 6, 2015 4:49 PM

Sep 2012
I thought people was smarter than this. They don't even realize that this movie is part 3 out of 4 and they complain about the lack of answers....
Apr 9, 2015 11:48 AM

Sep 2014
How surprising, Shinji still sucks.

Going to wait for the fourth movie to see how I really feel about this installment.
Apr 23, 2015 6:09 AM

Nov 2011
No idea what was going on from A-Z

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
May 26, 2015 5:42 AM

Mar 2015
Okay after my third time rewatching this movie I can savely say that it wasn't as terrible as I once thought it was.There are still some things I can only laugh about and find crap,but if my theories are indeed correct/get confirmed in 3.0 + 1.0 then it makes perfect sense,I still don't like the idea of parallel timelines though....but it depends on how Anno will handle it in the next movie.
4th impact looked freaking beautiful,not as great as Near Third-Impact,but still good nonetheless.The scene where Yui makes the contact experiment she had the halo of one of the 4 adams over her head,didn't notice that before. :/
So overall I won't say it's a great movie,but it's a movie that,sadly,can't stand on it's own so we'll have to wait for the next one.

Anno pls don't fuck this up :/
Jun 6, 2015 6:33 PM

Apr 2014
Good God. Never have I found a fictional character so incredibly unlikeable. Rebuild Shinji, well, 3.0 Shinji, is (even though i didn't think it possible) insufferable than the whining one we saw throughout the end of the original series. When the world turned to shit, i literally felt no sympathy, and was instead only disappointed to find that Asuka didn't beat the dayligts out of him when she opened up his pod.
Anyway, overall the movie was .. meh. I felt like they were pulling some terminology out of their butts and while it was confusing at some points, it still kept me overall interested.
Also, surprised to say that the movie also genuinely made me like Asuka's character. And that glasses girl, she has potential.
Th fourth will be make or break.

Jun 6, 2015 6:39 PM

Sep 2013
jemetire said:
The fourth will be make or break.

It has to make. Lol, Anno has to save anime.
Taking his recent comments into account, I wonder if he'll make the next film something radically different.
Jun 27, 2015 5:59 AM

Jul 2014
The action scene is nice....but the story is really confusing.
I think it's my fault for not watching 1st and 2nd movie, also not finishing the original series.

Dat shinji moment with kaworu though *squeals*
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Jul 4, 2015 2:57 AM

Apr 2013
really don't know man....

first of all. music was fantastic, character designs are great, animation was fantastic too and in general i am fine with where the movie ends up as a set up for the last movie but man...

-first of all the 14 years time skip, there honestly is a movie missing that is about these 14 years... the establishment of wille. the conflict between nerv and wille

-as much as i love over the top, the construction of all the nerv stuff with the place where lilith is.... um, yeah. felt more believable in the original series. it looked cool though

- the curse of eva so asuka and company stay young. brought up once never mentioned again shinji has like zero reaction to the knowledge of there being a curse that keeps him at this age

- wunder using eva-01 as a power source. here is this gigantic gunship that was created to use eva-01 that has been floating in space for 14 years.

- shinji... don't even feel like writing much about shinji, there is no word that discribes his level of idiocy

-but it is not just shinji's fault. the fact that neither misato nor anyone else at wille JUST TOLD SHINJI WHAT THE HELL HAPPEND and is then surprised when he leaves.

there simply is a huge issue when almost everything that happens in the movie could have been prevented if people just talked...
xSanoxJul 4, 2015 3:08 AM
Jul 18, 2015 11:02 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Kaworu... There are no words to describe how screwed up your end is.

Jul 27, 2015 11:47 PM

Dec 2011
Mind. Is. Fucked. What did I just watch?

Like all the previous Rebuild movies, the music and animation continues to impress. That's it.

The plot... There's plot... Plot that heavily depends on what happened in the past, but none of which was covered in the previous two movies, except for the beginning of the 'almost' third impact... Also 14 year time-skip and no one has aged, Nerv has been reduced to a staff of two men and Wille's full fleet of battleships can't destroy it. You'd think they'd lose hope and just let HIP happen. (I sure wish it would happen because I just lost my faith in humanity.)

Whatever pathetic characterization was contained in the previous rebuild movies, it's all been thrown into the proverbial trash can... Shit. Misato is a completely new character. Akagi is barely present (like the new hairdo's though). Asuka was one of the deepest characters in NGE, but now she's turned into generic red-head (still hot though). Her past and her significance has been wiped clean. I thought I'd learn something about Mari in this movie, but instead she plays the role of strange megane-girl, little more than a background character. Ayanami is there, and I like her. Perhaps because she doesn't have much character to begin with... It's pretty damn hard to tarnish a character that's little more than a puppet.

And Kaworu. The significance of Kaworu's character and death on Shinji's psyche in the anime was poorly executed. I was hoping that this could be amended in the rebuild, but it matters little since Shinji himself was poorly characterized. Okay, maybe I am being too harsh on Shinji. He has his daddy issues, self-depreciation, justification for self-depreciation, the guilt, and the desperation... But practically all of that was built in this movie and connects little with the Shinji seen in the previous two movies, or the original series. Still, Shinji and his relationship with Kaworu was one of the better aspects of this movie.

(Also, Maya is nowhere to be seen. Fuck.)
That's the end of my character rant.

Final thoughts: Nothing is explained! Not in the depth I would have liked it to, anyway. And I can only placate myself with assumptions. This movie could be comprised of an entirely different cast of characters, not at all associated with NGE and the fandom and it would still be the same; heck it would be better. Shinji asked some very legitimate questions, but the only response he gets are death-glares (and you call him childish?) wtf? At least now with Misato's fleet of battleships, the mech tag now makes sense. Hurr hurr.
DalPuriJul 27, 2015 11:53 PM
Nov 8, 2015 11:44 AM

Feb 2012
Number 5 on the 24 Anime event. Up until that point, Evangelion 3.33 was the best anime. Originally we were supposed to watch Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods but the Blu-Ray player was not working and the DVD of Evangelion 3.33 another guy bought had German subs not English subs so we ended up streaming 3.33 instead.

I own 1.11 and 2.22 on Blu-Ray but I have not opened or seen them yet, but as someone who has seen the original TV series, I recognized some of the scenes and dialog so when Rei was clueless about herself being a clone or more importantly, Shinji not realizing he fucked up...I was screaming at the projector screen:

Those flying ships in the beginning really reminded me of Space Battleship Yamato whereas the transforming ship gave off a Macross vibe (also the bridge crew's uniforms really resemble UN Spacy pilot suits from DYRL and I am aware the uniforms were also in the original NGE too). Considering they have the same voice actor, Captain Misato and giving orders in such a manner reminded me of Murrue Ramius.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 6, 2015 2:59 AM

Jan 2015
"...Evangelion 3.0 the movie which once again reminded everyone that Evangelion was in fact Evangelion. Of course it wouldn't be simple, of course it wouldn't be all sunshine and rainbows."-Gigguk.

Basically this. Without the final movie this is about a 6 or 7 out of 10. However the final movie can make 3.0 move up a few points depending on how well it flows but I honestly don't have my hopes up as my favorite character, Asuka, has been completely butchered from the original Evangelion.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Dec 8, 2015 9:55 AM

Nov 2012
Shinji was such an impulsive idiot for pulling out both Spears of Longinus when Kaworu had clearly stated that they needed the Spear of Longinus and Spear of Cassius,it should have been fairly obvious to him that something was up/something would go down ffs.
coolasj19 said:
This movie is fundamentally flawed. Right down the the very core of the direction this was going. It's flash and bang with minimal substance.

The first real amounts of story don't happen until 24 minutes in. Which means, that the entire first third of the movie is one gigantic battle scene. Not only do we never get an answer to why Shinji and Unit 01 were in space. But, we don't get any explicit answers to what happened to the Angels and what exactly is attacking them. And when story starts actually happening no questions are answered and very little story is given to us. Not to mention how Misato and crew completely mishandle the way they deal with Shinji. He's completely fine with not piloting and as far as I could tell he understood the reason and risk of why the DSS choker was placed on him. The only reason Shinji leaves Wille is because everyone on the ship completely refused to fill him in on everything that was and had happened. They could have even told him that Rei is a clone series, instead of being vague.

The second third of the movie is where something resembling a "story" actually rears it's ugly head. Shinji is apparently so dense he doesn't realize that the Rei is he talking to isn't the same one he knew. And while Kaworu is probably the only developed character in this entire movie ( and he just dies ) his relationship between him and Shinji still could have been done so much better. Not only does it use 10 minutes just to show us them stargazing and playing piano ( interesting dialogue the star gazing ). It's not that it was bad but, it's sad that this 10 minutes is the best development in the entire movie. In fact, the only new information that Shinji learns in this entire third of the movie is that he destroyed the world and Rei is a clone. Both things we the audience already knew. There are few redeeming qualities to even this story focused second third.

The third third is probably the worst third. Not only does Shinji blatantly disobey every suggestion from everyone, even the person who originally had the idea, to not pull out the Spears but he then wonders if " It's all his fault " as if not thinking about what he was doing was going to magically fix the world.

From then on BS upon BS quickly starts piling up. The DSS choker activates without Misato pushing the button, which as far as I can tell, means that Kaworu activated it himself with his magic mastery of all Lillen technology, when it seems like ejecting both pilots was an equally good answer. Actually, how did Kaworu even control the Eva and make it stab itself with the Spears? Shinji forcefully disconnected Kaworu's control systems.

What was this Vessel of Adams thing that Rei was piloting anyway? Apparently it's a completely unique vehicle. And it's gone now, without an explanation as to what it was in the first place. And why in the world is it " The Wunder's original master "? Guess it doesn't matter, more questions without answers. Maybe Mari, The New Official Side Character, will give us the answers one day. Nevertheless, apparently it's all according to Gendos plan. Which, by the way, does not actually give Gendo a good character or good motivations. It just makes him a shallow antagonist.

There are many more things wrong with the story but, I think I've effectively picked out enough to get my point across. Guys, these aren't questions to be answered later. They're plot holes. Maybe you can find implied answers to some of them but, that doesn't make them not plot holes. We were never " Being Put In Shinji's Shoes " we were just served up a story that made no sense. Information deprivation is not a way to tell a story. And even if they were trying to make us feel like Shinji then that way of making a movie is bad.

This is by far the weakest film in the Rebuild series and I think it can be proven. Hideki Anno is very much so in his right to make whatever movies he wants but, I think I know where he was going with this. Anno very openly does not like Otaku. I honestly believe that this is a giant middle finger to the fans and him just showing us how hard he can get away with serving up BS. Because guess what? The Evangelion 3.33 sales are going to go through the roof no matter what.

All in all, Evangelion 3.33 has made me come to a realization. Just as things can add up to be more than the sum of their parts. Things can come together to be less than the sum of their parts. The story and characterization aspects of the movie just fell into a pit. And dragged everything else down with it.
Well said,4/10 worst of the rebuild movies indeed.
Jan 8, 2016 9:37 PM

Jun 2013
Wow... um... wow.

Of course everything is going according to Gendo's fucking expectations. This is all part of the plan. :|

But I'll be damned if I don't see the conclusion to all this.
Jan 26, 2016 4:20 PM

Jul 2010
What the hell happened? this is by far the worst of the movies, timeskip from out of nowhere and I just couldn't bother to care about everything that happened in this movie. Also it would be awesome to see an adult Asuka but didn't even get that...disappointing movie overall.
Feb 6, 2016 7:29 AM
Apr 2015
Just watched it...hell of a thing.

Didn't like it at the start but I think it got better once you moved past the surprise spaceship BS, probably one of the only times I've found Shinki Ikari likeable.

That guy had it rough.
Mar 7, 2016 2:23 AM

Oct 2013
I am so confused... what the hell happened? It was very entertaining, but I think I only fully understood about 50-60% of it.

Gonna need to rewatch this or spend 3 hours on the internet reading up on it or maybe both. I feel like this was probably an incredible movie, but it was too confusing to really be certain...

Not that I'm surprised being that's exactly how the NGE series was too. Frankly, it's more surprising Rebuilds 1 and 2 were so straightforward when the Evangelion franchise clearly hates spooning the viewers information.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 25, 2016 5:14 AM

Mar 2014
I'm not sure why this is considered to be the worst rebuild?

This was much better than that harem bullshit dick lord faggotery abomination known as Evangelion 2.0, but for some incomprehensible reason that movie holds a mean score of 8.58 while this one has a mean score of 7.71

In fact I would say that this was even better than the TV series and End of Evangelion and that it's the best entry in the whole Evangelion franchise

Evangelion 3.0 > Neon Genesis Evangelion = End of Eva > Evangelion 1.0 >>> Evangelion 2.0

9/10 You people really need to learn to appreciate masterful trolling
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 30, 2016 5:57 AM

Apr 2015
^More grill=more score smh

well I also think that 3.0>2.0. I just hope that there will be some flashback that explained what happens 14 years ago more clearly
Jul 13, 2016 9:26 PM

Dec 2013
Shinji fucked up badly in this movie and is now mentally broken wtf.

Characters have all become even more boring now.

Gendo has become Aizen lol
Aug 1, 2016 9:18 PM

Jan 2010
Don't know what exactly happened. Lots of questions. But I liked it :D
Aug 7, 2016 12:00 PM

Sep 2015
I'm glad other people were feeling this, because coming from a big fan of the rest of the Eva series I thought this movie kind of sucked. Certainly by comparison. Mediocre animation mixed with cringe worthy CG, clunky dialogue and nonsensical story telling, and above all characters (especially Shinji) who have become irritatingly static. Eva's showing some serious aging in this movie and it's not just the voice cast. Really I found this whole movie laborious to get through, all the more frustrating because it makes some drastic changes to the story and character dynamics that in younger abler hands could have been really cool. There's some cool themes of aging and missing your moment in time an over twenty five year old franchise could have competently spoken to but instead we get a lifeless jumbled mess.

Literally the only thing about this movie that really worked for me was Mari's comic relief, and Asuka who was as enjoyable as ever. While most of the action scenes felt really flat to me, I could listen to her angrily bark commands all day and the scene where she confronts Shinji in quarantine was one of the most emotionally effective in the movie. The film ends in a sudden burst of self aware levity, with Asuka pulling a withdrawn and broken Shinji out of the remains of his EVA in order to reunite with Misato and her ship. As she struggles to pull him out she angrily grunts "You never change all these years later, you're still a big baby." Something about that line resonated with me, how it was true to these characters we've seen go through so much, how it sharply reflects Shinji's history as a character while drawing attention to how old Eva is as a franchise. It's too bad the rest of the movie couldn't be as engaging as this one line of dialogue.
Aug 9, 2016 3:19 AM
Mar 2016
I liked it. Looking forward to see how loose ends are tied up.
Aug 21, 2016 6:48 AM

Apr 2009
Shinji got worst in here. T___T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2016 5:54 PM

Aug 2016
It was good....well, alright. However it wasn't nearly as confusing as people overall seem to make out. The action scenes were undoubtedly the highlight - smooth and well executed. Just about entertaining enough to manage stringing along each convoluted plot point. The soundtrack also was rather good, something I will delve into post-watch definitely.

I don't envy the team that work on the final movie, if it does ever happen. The odds are overwhelmingly against them to put these rebuilds to rest with any sort of coherent ending.
Aug 26, 2016 4:21 PM

Mar 2010
Okay, so I finally watched this and I regret every minute. I love NGE, it's a real masterpiece, perfect in every way. Reboot started nicely at first and I really really wanted to like it or at least enjoy it. But this was awful. Nothing about this makes sense. Every single decision every character makes is either for plot or for the rule of cool. The whole reboot series acts as if everyone in audience was lacking half a brain.

There is no good reason why they didn't tell Shinji about what happened and what could happen if he tried to pilot Eva again especially if they're constantly under attack and Shinji is a trigger. There are no excuses to this. Any sane person in their situation would do everything to discourage Shinji of ever using Eva again by telling him he almost destroyed the world. There is no going around this.

So... Shinji has been hanging around Nerv for several days and it doesn't occur to him to ask WTF is going on? Not even once? He lost 14 years of his life and he never wonders why everyone hates him? What?

Gendo has no plan whatsoever and at this point I have no idea if he even has a goal.

Asuka used to be a complex kid full of mental issues, now, she's a crazy bitch with a multiple personality disorder. Or she's legit insane.

Mari is probably the metaphor for audience because she seems to be amused by everything happening and doesn't really do anything other than what you would expects fans to do. "Oh, noes, Asuka's battery ran out! Mari (read: fans) shall use the fandom power to send her another one!!!"

Rei is just there. Seriously, why is she even there at this point? There is no purpose to her even existing right now. She's not vital to Instrumentality Project like before and she's literally a robot of Gendo. But apparently, everyone adopts her as a pet and drags her along.

Shinji and Kaworu are gayer than ever or, in Shinji's case, more pansexual than ever? Probably the only entertaining part of the whole film.

Kaworu decided to close the door of Guf. Why? Because Shinji was sad? He manipulated him for the sake of whatever the plot wants and then he just goes "Oh, fuck, abort mission, Shinji is sad he destroyed the world... again. Totes didn't expect that to happen."

Also, Kaworu doesn't know Shinji is also a trigger and the door won't close with him in Angel. What? That's... just... idiotic! That's beyond not making any sense. That's.... I don't even know anymore. The assumption that Kaworu, who has the seed of Adam, wouldn't know Shinji is a trigger AFTER HE CAUSED THE THIRD IMPACT is outright ridiculous.

Shinji is doing whatever the plot demands, just like every other character in the reboot, without really thinking about it.

Seele are literally souls. What? How is that even possible? And they're fine dying before Instrumentality happens? And they die by shutting off electricity from their monolith? Is that supposed to be a reference for people being addicted to face book? Having a soul on their wall, get it? Never mind, me neither, I'm trying to find logic where there is none. Oh, forget it, I don't even care anymore.

Probably the most disappointing thing to me is that Impacts went from the power to destroy the whole world and remake it, into the monster of the week. I mean, seriously, if the Impacts were at least half as destructive as in the show, everyone would have been dead by now instead of just getting funnily coloured sky. But, hey, kids like cool and Impacts are cool.

There was literally one Impact in every film. Compared to the TV anime where everyone was trying to stop one Impact for 26 episodes and a film. Let that sink in.

If the last film ever comes out, I will do the same as Mari. Sit back and laugh at everything that happens. It's not possible to clean up this mess anymore.
Oct 7, 2016 7:12 AM
Oct 2016
What a hot mess of a movie that's for sure. Some things have me confused, and it didn't even occur that WILLE had a position to tell Shinji what had truly happened, and just talk to the guy. I guess their hatred unfortunately got the best of them. ....and Shinji just wakes up, and he probably couldn't take this hatred, so much it blinded him of asking why people hate him like that. Next thing you know, he finds out he had something to do with the world being destroyed. The harsh reality of that news came down on him, and him barely grasping how he was capable of all this. And the fact that the Rei that he wanted to save was truly gone, and the one in front of him was clone, sending him down levels of nervous breakdown, where you can't even hold all that in your head and just lose it, to the point that you need something to keep you going if you wanted out of this nightmare, Shinji just accepted Kaworu's plan without any thought, because how can he, this whole thing is bogus, and he wants out of it. Little did he know that there was more to it that was trouble than how it sounded. And the rest is history.

Seriously what a hot mess of a movie. Despite all that, my sympathies for this kid just tripled. An unwilling, unfortunate kid, whose too nice for his own good. He didn't even know the power the Evas had. He just thought they were robots designed to fight Angels. And he did all that just in hopes his dad will come around and stuff. How all that fell flat on his face. Not only that there were things that Shinji was in the dark for most of his life, and now all that culminates in a life seemingly a pariah, with Gendo trying to get the best of it all. He truly sucks as a dad, he fails at that too.

All isn't truly lost though, but this is too much.
Nov 5, 2016 8:40 AM

Nov 2014
Okay so here we have more or less 8 hours of screen time for the 4 movies and there is a time skip of many years in it with deep world changes, requiring a world rebuilding.
Cannot work because too short.

The 2 first movies could work as action packed movies because they were more or less the same events as the old serie, and who here didn't watch the old 90s show ?
Thought so.
These 2 movies took their depth directly from the serie because as stand alone they are pretty shallow, simply because they are 2 hours movies, that's all.

Now it is a different story with a different world and it's simply not the old Eva anymore, and the first half of the new show that are the third and fourth movies have been used for action where it needed explainations.

Frankly I would have prefered for:
-the time skip not to happen, so we see the direct consequences of this near 3rd impact;
-shinji and rei to stay together (and complemented on their own) inside 01 for the whole of the 3rd movie;
-that Anno use these 2 hours to give flesh to other characters (seeing as Shinji and Rei would be out of the picture) and make some real world building, this 3rd impact was the real turning point of the alternate universe.

Overall, this new story deserved better than being a collection of plot devices.
I'm a big softie.
Nov 9, 2016 4:22 PM

Nov 2013
Not as bad as I expected after reading the synopsis, but not exactly good either.

And if there is a Retard Award, then I want to give it to Misato, Asuka, basically everyone aboard the ship.

We only want to protect you, that's why we treat you like shit, explain nothing and threaten to kill you.

I'm curious, how/if they will achieve a conclusion of this mess with the 4th movie , that makes sense.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 2, 2016 3:04 AM

Oct 2015
I guess Shinji was desperate when he pulled those because he wanted to correct the last impact. I cant blame him he wanted to correct everything. The movie was average and short compared to others but i guess i will be waiting for the next one. Loved Asuka's bad ass eye-patch look.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 11, 2016 2:22 AM

Apr 2013
Asuka is always best girl...

This is definitely supposed to feel like thein bbetween movie
Jan 1, 2017 5:03 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Wow, I think I got more confused than Shinji after the 14-year timeskip.

This movie pretty much detached me from the series.
Feb 23, 2017 1:44 AM

Sep 2016
well this was way better then the first two rebuilt movies. first one was basically a recap of the first 6 or seven episodes of the tv series and the second one was dumb af but had some great action.
at least this had some suspence in the first half and some amazing imagery and way better cinematography then the first two.
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Mar 7, 2017 7:03 PM

Dec 2016
I have not seen this movie yet, after seeing how badly recieved it was in comparison with 1.0 and 2.0. So I want some help here... Should I watch this right now or wait till 4.0? Consider that I am trying to avoid having an unsolved mindfuck in my mind till 4.0 releases XD
Mar 8, 2017 12:46 AM

Sep 2016
Dr_Manhattan95 said:
I have not seen this movie yet, after seeing how badly recieved it was in comparison with 1.0 and 2.0. So I want some help here... Should I watch this right now or wait till 4.0? Consider that I am trying to avoid having an unsolved mindfuck in my mind till 4.0 releases XD

there is no harm in watching it right now, i think its better than the first two...
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Mar 17, 2017 2:55 PM

Oct 2014
ok, first let me start by saying i technically haven't finished it yet - kissanime went batshit crazy when there was twenty minutes left in the movie, and all the other streaming sites aren't working for me so i'll have to wait for later to finish this but wow, i'm honestly pretty disappointed

im an eva fan, i loved the tv series and eoe is among one of my favorite films of all time and i enjoyed the first two rebuilds, but this...

there are just so many unanswered questions, and it's just a mess. how did shinji end up in space? what's up with asuka's eyepatch? how come no one really aged in 14 years? what caused misato and ritsuko to seperate themselves from nerv? also, in nagisa's explanation, most of the world seems to be dead but yet these particular people just happened to survive?

shinji became an ever bigger little bitch - i wanted to smack him when he pulled out the spears despite everyone screaming not to at him. i wish asuka got more screen time, though i liked nagisa

the animation was fantastic, and i liked the score. but this was just absolutely confusing to me. maybe it's because i was half-asleep, or maybe it just was - either way, i hope that 3.0 + 1.0 explains everything (if it ever comes out - also, i'd love if that was the retelling of eoe - i wanna see a cgi rei and people turning into lcl :p)

well, now time to wait until kissanime decides to stop acting up so i can finish this
Mar 17, 2017 9:11 PM

Apr 2012
@lunoire
I like that there are a lot of unanswered questions, I mean a lot of time has gone by and we can somewhat fill in the gaps
- Asuka's eye is a nice little nod back to End of Evangelion
- I think they explain that the non-aging is a result of being an Eva pilot
- Yeah there's otherwise a great calamity that we missed that's hinted at, probably related to what happened in EoE that made everyone separate themselves form NERV, which came close to destroying the world but was stopped at the last minute

I like that Shinji is stuck at a confused immature stage while everyone else has aged 20(?) years, but yeah we're all hoping for answers in the elusive follow-up
Apr 6, 2017 8:45 AM

Dec 2015
Just stumbled on some editorial about Evangelion and the Shin Gekijôban particular case. Since the last part pretty much looks like what I thought about the two recent movies, I'll put it here:

http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/02/10/once-more-with-fury-rebuilding-evangelion/

With bits of Anno powdered on it. :D
Jun 10, 2017 9:20 AM

Nov 2009
Wow. I didn't know what was going on for the first 15 minutes or so but when it became clear that it was a time skip, I thought it flowed well from there. I've watched the old series twice and hated the original ending as well as The End of Eva. This however, made more sense to me but only thanks to already having seen the series, read the manga and research... Watching this with no prior knowledge of Eva would be a total mind f***. Lots of subtle things to pick up on. After doing some online reading of Q&A's, I can say that I'm pleased with how this expanded on EoE and the underlying plot. Anyone read the theory that this was actually sequel to EoE?
Jun 18, 2017 6:48 PM

Nov 2015
NGE (TV) was amazing.
EOE was amazing.
EVA 1.0 was amazing.
EVA 2.0 was amazing.
EVA 3.0 was...wtf. this is dogsh*t.

Hope 3.0+1.0 makes up for this spectacularly animated 1h30m of cringe plot q___q
Jun 22, 2017 7:39 AM
Jun 2017
I was waiting much better movie but i think it seems like linkable to other movies in final movie. Preview scenes released in the 2.22's ending was very interesting. And last thing i want to say Rei's soul in the SDAT player.
Jun 24, 2017 7:10 PM

Feb 2013
Watched this again... 5th time I guess.

Spoiler in case there are people that have not seen the TV series I guess...
Aug 3, 2017 9:14 AM

Feb 2015
RIP Kaworu

Really, it's amazing how much, MUCH better this is than the NGE TV series, EoE and the first Rebuild movie.

Hideaki woke up.

What's up with the shitty resolution though, the first two Rebuilds were available in full 1080p.
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »

More topics from this board

» I am Deathly Afraid of Evangelion

DoctorOddball - Aug 29, 2023

2 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM

» How do you feel about Shinji??

SwagDemonMan - Oct 15, 2014

24 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Evangelion 3.0 explained (attempt to) [SPOILER]

GuidSMR - Apr 18, 2023

5 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:05 PM

» So is Evangelion 3.0 really that bad? ( 1 2 )

DeusAnima - Oct 6, 2013

76 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:02 PM

» Should I rewatch Evangelion before watching this

Vai03 - Jun 27, 2022

19 by Vai03 »»
Jun 30, 2022 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.