Forum Settings
Forums

16th Japan Media Arts Festival Award List Announced

New
Dec 12, 2012 11:15 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 12, 2012 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
Well deserved, Yamamoto Sayo.
Dec 12, 2012 11:35 PM

Mar 2010
>Titles recommended by the judging committee

>gdgd Fairies

huh?
Dec 12, 2012 11:38 PM
Jul 2018
Vylash said:

>gdgd Fairies

huh?

2deep4u

Good to see that Gunslinger Girl won an award, now I need to continue reading the manga.
Dec 12, 2012 11:42 PM

Sep 2012
> Excellence Prizes
> Guskou Budori no Denki (2012)

Another Kenji Miyazawa's fable story turned into anime, and an excellent one for that. Great.

> Rookie Award
> Yamamoto Sayo ("Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna")

More female director in the industry is always good news.

> Titles recommended by the judging committee
> Sakamichi no Apollon
> Tsuritama

NoitaminA gets the nod of approval.

Despite recent tension between Japan and Korea/China, it is good to see that has not affected the judging of the award and we have 3 anime from China and 2 from Korea that made the recommended list.

> Titles recommended by the judging committee
> Shut Hell
> Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
> Chihayafuru
> Hyakushou Kizoku
> Hoozuki no Reitetsu
> 3 Gatsu no Lion

Wonder why only list the above titles? Manga like Nanohana or Nihonjin ga shiranai Nihongo for example are pretty well known, even to people who do not usually read manga.
symbvDec 12, 2012 11:51 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 12, 2012 11:56 PM

Jan 2009
nice to see Asura and Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki those anime movies have great animation quality from the trailers alone
Dec 12, 2012 11:58 PM

Jan 2009
I don't know most of these tittles. orz
But congratulations to them nonetheless.

Glad to see Tsuritama and Sakamichi no Apollon and Danshi Koukousei there.
That might actually make me try to read the manga.
What makes you really feel secure is knowing that somebody more pathetic than yourself exists out there.
Dec 13, 2012 12:03 AM

Nov 2008
This list pleases me greatly.
Dec 13, 2012 12:18 AM

Jan 2011

Worked on Redline and Samurai Champloo and was the director of Michiko to hatchin. We need more anime with her.
dtshyk said:

Titles recommended by the judging committee
Tsuritama

Glad it got some recognition, such a amazing anime definitely one of (if not) the best this year.
dtshyk said:
Chihayafuru

Can't wait for season 2.
[center]
Dec 13, 2012 12:35 AM

May 2011
It's good to see noitaminA wins the award there.
Dec 13, 2012 12:50 AM

Apr 2012
OAO i actually haven't watched any of yamamoto sayo's works.
or that grand prize for that matter.

as for the reccs, i really enjoyed sakamichi no apollon and tsuritama~
Dec 13, 2012 12:51 AM

Apr 2012
OAO i actually haven't watched any of yamamoto sayo's works.
or that grand prize for that matter.

as for the reccs, i really enjoyed sakamichi no apollon and tsuritama~
Dec 13, 2012 12:54 AM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
Vylash said:

>gdgd Fairies

huh?

LoL wut??!? :D
Dec 13, 2012 1:15 AM

Feb 2008
Yamamoto Sayo, I applaud her. I watched the first two episodes of the new Lupin when Funimation posted them, and found them simply brilliant. Needless to say, I applaud Sakamichi no Apollon too.
Dec 13, 2012 1:28 AM

Sep 2011
Some of these titles they gave awards too and recommendations makes me facepalm so hard.
Dec 13, 2012 1:31 AM

Feb 2012
Vylash said:

>gdgd Fairies

huh?

Had the same reaction.
Dec 13, 2012 1:38 AM

Jun 2007
Vylash said:

>gdgd Fairies

huh?

It sold more than almost everything else it was up against. It's not surprising. It broke ground in terms of popularity and sales for a HILARIOUSLY cheaply made series and showed that even such small projects can fight with the much more expensive and large-team based works.

Also, it's fucking great. I'm very proud of it for getting recommended and getting the attention it deserves for being such a great series in such a purposefully off putting package.

I know that's not what the award was for that it was recommended for - but the animation was part of it. A big part. It perfectly matched the show and worked as a device to further the show rather than just as a way to show it. It was an important part of the series rather than just being bad or good.
Dec 13, 2012 1:39 AM

May 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Vylash said:

>gdgd Fairies

huh?

It sold more than almost everything else it was up against. It's not surprising. It broke ground in terms of popularity and sales for a HILARIOUSLY cheaply made series and showed that even such small projects can fight with the much more expensive and large-team based works.

Also, it's fucking great. I'm very proud of it for getting recommended and getting the attention it deserves for being such a great series in such a purposefully off putting package.

I know that's not what the award was for that it was recommended for - but the animation was part of it. A big part.

Is it deep ? Like real deep ?
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Dec 13, 2012 1:41 AM

Jun 2007
Tommk said:

way 2deep4u

No, it's just a really out-there comedy - one of the best parts about it is a section of each episode that has the three seiyuu entirely unscripted talking about some random weird or hilarious cg scenes.

Definitely one of those styles of comedy that's not for everyone though.
Dec 13, 2012 1:44 AM

May 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Tommk said:

way 2deep4u

No, it's just a really out-there comedy - one of the best parts about it is a section of each episode that has the three seiyuu entirely unscripted talking about some random weird or hilarious cg scenes.

Definitely one of those styles of comedy that's not for everyone though.

Agreed .

Just Don't like trollers which start giving out the ''2deep4u'' crap.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Dec 13, 2012 1:59 AM

Oct 2011
big ups to yamamoto sayo for the rookie award for the wonderful (and highly under-rated) Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna - one of the anime i enjoyed the most in the past year....an atmospheric kaleidoscope of mind-bending proportion! we need more boundary expanding anime like this........also, can't wait to check out asura (the manga as well - haven't been able to find it anywhere) - hope it gets a translation and/or release here in the u.s. as well.........
octal9Dec 13, 2012 2:03 AM
Dec 13, 2012 2:13 AM

Aug 2011
*quickly scans for Sword Art Online*

Oh thank God. Any remaining hope for the industry would've been instantly obliterated right then and there.
Dec 13, 2012 2:22 AM

Sep 2012
j0x said:
nice to see Asura and Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki those anime movies have great animation quality from the trailers alone

Saw both at a film festival and they are great, well deserved recognition! Animation is especially amazing in Asura.
Dec 13, 2012 9:06 AM

Jul 2010
VioLink said:

dtshyk said:

Tsuritama

Glad it got some recognition, such a amazing anime definitely one of (if not) the best this year.

definitely, this was a good anime.

Dec 13, 2012 9:17 AM

May 2009
It's good to see that Otomo is back and won the grand prize. No wonder he is one of the best directors of our time.
bergilDec 13, 2012 9:48 AM
Dec 13, 2012 9:44 AM

Feb 2010
What a tease, basically nothing of those has been subbed yet :/
Well, I was looking forward to all those movies anyway, now I'm looking forward to them even more.

How is Sayo Yamamoto a rookie though?
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 13, 2012 11:22 AM

Oct 2007
Wow for a change Japan has an award set for shows that I actually appear deserving of a closer look. Usually it's just whatever shows were smash hits with the otaku crowd. Too bad I'll probably never get the chance to see some of these.

Seriously some of these really look like they tackle some interesting subjects. The main criteria here seems to be shows that showcase Japans history and culture and therefore are of significance in that area of interest btw folks.

DraconisMarch said:
*quickly scans for Sword Art Online*

Oh thank God. Any remaining hope for the industry would've been instantly obliterated right then and there.

If this appeared to be like most award sets for anime it'd probably be there but again this seems to be all about the cultural significance and selecting shows that Japan can be proud of and show to the rest of the world and say, "look at our achievements in animation and understand our culture and heritage through them" and SAO does not really fit that sort of mold at all.
PeacingOutDec 13, 2012 11:39 AM
Dec 13, 2012 12:58 PM

Aug 2012
Oh wow, I wouldn't have expected Asura to win this price. Anyhow, definitely adding Guskou Budori no Denki to my watchlist.
Dec 13, 2012 1:07 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
binOsbi said:

Indeed. Turned Lupin into a film noire-ish show, and did it amazingly well.
Dec 13, 2012 1:26 PM

Nov 2011
>Gunslinger Girl

Very well deserved. Truly one of the best masterpieces in the last 2 decades.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Dec 13, 2012 3:13 PM

Nov 2009
binOsbi said:

Totally agree.
Dec 13, 2012 3:32 PM

Mar 2012
rederoin said:
>Gunslinger Girl

Very well deserved. Truly one of the best masterpieces in the last 2 decades.
Is there any chance of a third season? I still haven't watched the second one because of dat art quality drop, but probably will eventually.

Maybe I should just read manga. Decisions, decisions.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 13, 2012 3:45 PM

Aug 2007
There are a lot of titles I didnt know. From manga list I only know Chihayafuru and 3gatsu no lion but I havent read that mangas.
Dec 13, 2012 3:50 PM

Jul 2011
Chihayafuru! :D

But there are some titles on the lists that make me raise my eyebrow. o.o
Dec 13, 2012 4:26 PM

Sep 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
What a tease, basically nothing of those has been subbed yet :/
Well, I was looking forward to all those movies anyway, now I'm looking forward to them even more.

Ookami and Asura were subbed for the film festivals. Ookami import BD will have subs. Asura loses something in translation, the Japanese dialogue is great.

Chihayafuru anime is subbed on Crunchyroll, not sure if the manga is licensed, probably not.
Dec 13, 2012 8:08 PM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Wow for a change Japan has an award set for shows that I actually appear deserving of a closer look. Usually it's just whatever shows were smash hits with the otaku crowd.
What other award sets you have in mind that has "just whatever shows were smash hits with the otaku crowd"? It is not as if there are many award sets for anime in Japan.

Also, to get the facts clear, this is the 16th Japan Media Arts Awards so it has been going on since late 1990s. It is not something new but I guess for many in the west it looks like it is something new and comes up "for a change".

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 13, 2012 9:00 PM

Aug 2011
Jeez now I really want to watch Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki and Fuse Teppou. Please come out subbed soon...
Dec 14, 2012 3:11 PM

Mar 2009
Youjinbou said:
Vylash said:

>gdgd Fairies

huh?

LoL wut??!? :D

my point exactly xD
Dec 14, 2012 3:43 PM

Jul 2011
WHAT? An anime award with decent winners?? lol this must be a joke right??

Since when does a mature themed anime with smart staffs, classy story, unique art etc get a recognition in japan??? Those anime didn't makes money at all!!!! All those japanese NEET otaku who stays up til' midnight only watch moe boobs fanservice and Kyoani anime right???
Dec 15, 2012 11:15 AM

Nov 2008
Most i these i have never heard of them so will look for them
Dec 15, 2012 2:20 PM

May 2009
Ahh Gunslinger Girl. Finally it gets some recognition
Jan 8, 2013 11:54 AM

Dec 2012
In my opinion, Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki is the best out of all the anime got award. it's a shame that not a lot of people have watched it
Jan 8, 2013 12:20 PM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
In my opinion, Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki is the best out of all the anime got award. it's a shame that not a lot of people have watched it
Perhaps you are talking about people outside Japan because in Japan a lot of people have watched it (estimated to be 3.5 million people) and is the 6th highest grossing movie in Japan in 2012.

Jan 8, 2013 1:07 PM

Sep 2012
symbv said:
ThangLong said:
Perhaps you are talking about people outside Japan because in Japan a lot of people have watched it (estimated to be 3.5 million people) and is the 6th highest grossing movie in Japan in 2012.

I saw it at a film festival and have pre-ordered the Blu-Ray Disc for Ookami. Two discs, booklet, commentary thankfully some extras. Even English subs, probably the same ones I saw at the film festival.

I actually preferred Nijirio Hotaru - Eien no Natsuyasumi - as my pick for anime movie of the year and bought the DVD; too bad there was no BD release. And too bad the DVD is simply a box, a cover and a disc. No extras or booklet or anything at all! Guess I'm spoiled by what you get in the individual BDs for TV series nowadays but not since VHS tapes have I received so little in a box!
Jan 8, 2013 3:04 PM

Sep 2012
PTW list updated. =)
Jan 8, 2013 8:32 PM

Dec 2012
symbv said:
ThangLong said:

That's right, I'm talking about people on MAL specifically
Jan 9, 2013 1:38 AM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
symbv said:
ThangLong said:

That's right, I'm talking about people on MAL specifically

It is too bad that Funimation is so slow to take advantage of their rights acquisitions. They bought the rights to Ookami but have sat on it thus far and not even released it subbed for Elite subscribers as far as I know. Too bad also that a subbed film is only considered appropriate for film festivals and art house theatres. Dubbing takes time...

Hours after the Japan BD release it will be ripped and torrented. Since this one already has subs you won't even need to watch it raw first...

I will enjoy my BD with commentary track.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
11 minutes ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
1 hour ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
3 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

17 by RobertBobert »»
3 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.