Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 31, 2008 4:00 AM
Jan 2008
crazy_eights said:
the animation was really fluid. i loved it so much. i wonder if she is similar to casshern because it didn't seem like she was rusting/ruining at all.

I think this points to her being human.
Or maybe she's an android like Casshern?

But her craziness -- mmmmh.
Delicious.
Oct 31, 2008 4:04 AM

Oct 2008
It was a pretty mundane episode, kind of like the previous ones, but its still early on. Sins really needs to pick up fast, its already lost quite a bit of respect from me for taking apart the whole point of Casshern in the bloody first place.
Your simple world can be a fantastic place, you just have to know where to look.
Oct 31, 2008 3:52 PM
Apr 2008
cool ep sophita is cool lets hope she stays around
Oct 31, 2008 9:06 PM

Oct 2008
This weeks episode was really good in terms of action. Episode five seems like we'll finally get some answers about Casshern and what he is. (Granted, we'll probably have a whole bunch of new questions afterwords.
Oct 31, 2008 9:13 PM

Jun 2007
What a great episode. Sophita is a unique character so i hope we see her again.
I actually forgot about Friender omg! >_<
Love the oh so beautiful high quality animation and I can not get enough of the opening x3
Nov 1, 2008 3:19 PM

Feb 2008
=

???
Nov 1, 2008 10:40 PM

Oct 2007
sophita was an awesome character... i hope she makes another appearance in the series...
Nov 2, 2008 12:33 PM

Aug 2008
angel999 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
RAW is out! I love the new girl! Sure is unique! Apart from that I think that she may be like Casshern built except with less features.

SOPHITA IS A BEAUTIFUL NAME! I also think she the second MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THIS ANIME SERIES! That is apart of Ringo but she is just cute. True beauty......SOPHITA is one unique in this depressive world.

Actually thanks to her THIS EPISODE WAS LESS DEPRESSIVE! :)

The depressive parts seemed most centered around her obsession to fight and destroy. Most probably my JAW DROPPED when Casshern got a sword through his body but that made Sophita realize she HAS CHOICES!

Seems that the big bad guy retreats this time.......SMART MOVE! He was not as stupid as the others. I was surprised about his reinforced armor....it can withstand high swinged sword attacks from Sophita.

NEXT EPISODE ALL COME TOGETHER! Ringo/Friender/Lyuze........THAT I WANT TO WATCH NOW!

ONCE AGAIN VERY DEPRESSIVE WORLD!

HIGHLIGHTS

It's all about SOPHITA!

Although I was freaked when Casshern let himself be stabbed by Sophita....she regretted it while herself not understanding the very tears that started to flow.

The big BAD GUY+ He fights at some point Sophita

Nice poses of Casshern!

BLOOD OF LUNA ON CASSHERN!+Can heal himself!

CelloNov 2, 2008 12:39 PM
Nov 3, 2008 12:33 PM

Feb 2008
With this episode I rate the show 9/10, although it is too early to say that it will stay at that high score.

I really enjoy anime with a somehow slow pace, sad atmosphere and deep characters, like i.e. "Mushishi", "Cowboy Bebop" or "Trigun". I have the same feeling watching Casshern Sins.

Sophita is after Akoes another amazing "1 episode" character that deserved more screen time in my opinion. I was really depressed when she left the hero/villain Casshern. But at least she is alive.....which I didnt expect at all. This show suprises me a lot.

I love the scene where Sophita helps Casshern pull out the sword and holds him afterwards while the weapon falls forgotten behind them into the red water. She throws away the very object that meant "joyful live" for her for a long time and wants someone else to live except herself. And when she bid farewell, she respects Cassherns aversion to weapons/fighting by leaving the sword a few meters behind.
I was deeply moved.... ^^
Nov 3, 2008 3:51 PM

Oct 2008
This was a really great episode. This series in general is beautiful and amazing~

Nov 3, 2008 8:56 PM

Oct 2008
Sinari said:
This series in general is beautiful and amazing~

I do hope you are being sarcastic good sir. Unless your definition of beautiful is an A.F.I. CD.
Your simple world can be a fantastic place, you just have to know where to look.
Nov 9, 2008 11:15 AM

Oct 2008
Out of the 5episodes I've watched this one was the best so far, the one's before I had a hard time even finishing, but this one was very interesting somehow.
Nov 12, 2008 9:23 AM

May 2008
OMG that was the most romantic thing I've ever seen.;_;
Ok not the most romantic. But it was definitely touching in it's own morbid and creepy way.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Nov 12, 2008 9:43 PM

May 2008
I can't help but be amazed at the animation ever single episode. WOW. just wow.
Nov 17, 2008 7:52 AM

Sep 2008
Another crazy character... He should have just killed her because we all know we dont neeed another one of those crazy characters in any series..
Dec 21, 2008 11:01 AM

Aug 2008
This was simply amazing. I loved Sophita's fighting style - so fluent and full of grace.
Dec 25, 2008 10:30 PM

Sep 2007
This episode did nothing for me- the weakest one in my opinion.

And really, am I the only one who found Sophita just a tad annoying? I'm so glad Ringo's coming back next ep.
Dec 25, 2008 10:56 PM

May 2008
I don't know why everyone likes ringo so much, to be honest. I just don't see that much in her other than the cliche "happy innocent girl" thing.
Dec 27, 2008 12:20 PM

Sep 2007
theeggman85 said:
I don't know why everyone likes ringo so much, to be honest. I just don't see that much in her other than the cliche "happy innocent girl" thing.

Lol, she's a child. Would you rather have a sarcastic, emo kid instead? Unusual, but pretty unrealistic for a girl who seems so young.
And no, most people don't like Ringo. I've noticed in the Casshern Sins forum that most viewers find her annoying, so you're in the general group.
Oct 1, 2009 10:17 PM

Jul 2008
so she fights to live? in a weird sense that makes some sense
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Nov 16, 2009 1:54 PM

May 2009
I hope we never see this Sophita again. Total disaster. And I was beginning to like this anime...

This episode might be as well skipped, if you ask me.

booooring.
Feb 28, 2010 6:45 AM

Jun 2009
dybuk said:
I hope we never see this Sophita again. Total disaster. And I was beginning to like this anime...

This episode might be as well skipped, if you ask me.

booooring.

Urjuan said:
This episode did nothing for me- the weakest one in my opinion.

And really, am I the only one who found Sophita just a tad annoying? I'm so glad Ringo's coming back next ep.

I have to agree. A character without brain, extremely annoying, childish, using 3rd person, asking "why" and "what" all the time. And then she is speaking about love?
Seriously, WTH? I love anime about life in general, e.g. Cowboy Bebop is just incredibly "mature" and "wise", but this episode was an example of total failure.
I hope it will get better later on...
Aug 26, 2010 1:37 PM

Dec 2008
Another amazing episode!!
Sophita is a bit on the yandere side.
I was hoping that Casshern would gain a traveling companion in Sophita.
I missed Friender.
If Casshern was any prettier, I'd hear angels singing every time I looked at him.
Eric Vale is amazing as the voice of Casshern. His voice is BUTTAH baby!!
Jun 11, 2012 2:03 PM

Apr 2012
Wow, in all of this robot apocalypse stuff I didn't expect to get an extended sex and reproduction metaphor. While it was none to subtle I thought it was handled in a way that was trashy or exploitative.

So in this robot and ruin dominated future fighting and defeating opponents is the only means regeneration and reproduction. Enter Sophita, at first she just fought without passion because it was just for the money. She fought for profit and her efforts helped to make sure that robots continued to function but then she discovered she can also fight for pleasure. After that she went around carelessly fighting with anyone that made her hot but ultimately none of these "relationships" were satisfying because she didn't have love. When she met Casshern she discovered what she was missing and I think she realized what she had been doing was self destructive because she wanted to live to meet with Casshern again....so less casual sex fighting.

I do like how the robots are used in this series they've been given emotions due to the ruin, but usually one or two emotions in them have been accentuated in a way that allows the show to tease out whatever the theme it's going for that episode. It's a lot like the way Mushishi uses the Mushi or Kino's Journey uses the various towns.

This show is pretty damn amazing is what I'm trying to say.
ItoukaijiJun 11, 2012 2:08 PM
Jun 18, 2012 10:24 PM

Mar 2012
good episode but no friender? lol
Jan 19, 2013 8:30 AM

May 2009
Aww sophita is such a sadistic crazy little cutie!!!!
Jan 19, 2013 8:39 AM

Apr 2012
Nothing sadistic nor crazy about Sophita.
Jan 21, 2013 11:24 PM

May 2009
EratiK said:
Nothing sadistic nor crazy about Sophita.

We werent watching the same episode now was we. She plunged her sword in his body because she loved him and she fought because that was the only way she could feel....both are the qualities that made me like her even more.....maybe im a lil crazy
May 5, 2013 11:21 PM
Aug 2011
I prefer Sophita when she doesn't talk...and I like her character design.
Oct 18, 2013 10:54 PM

Mar 2011
Itoukaiji said:
Wow, in all of this robot apocalypse stuff I didn't expect to get an extended sex and reproduction metaphor. While it was none to subtle I thought it was handled in a way that was trashy or exploitative.

So in this robot and ruin dominated future fighting and defeating opponents is the only means regeneration and reproduction. Enter Sophita, at first she just fought without passion because it was just for the money. She fought for profit and her efforts helped to make sure that robots continued to function but then she discovered she can also fight for pleasure. After that she went around carelessly fighting with anyone that made her hot but ultimately none of these "relationships" were satisfying because she didn't have love. When she met Casshern she discovered what she was missing and I think she realized what she had been doing was self destructive because she wanted to live to meet with Casshern again....so less casual sex fighting.

I do like how the robots are used in this series they've been given emotions due to the ruin, but usually one or two emotions in them have been accentuated in a way that allows the show to tease out whatever the theme it's going for that episode. It's a lot like the way Mushishi uses the Mushi or Kino's Journey uses the various towns.

This show is pretty damn amazing is what I'm trying to say.

I was kind of expecting (/hoping) for some more inquisitive posts regarding the symbolism behind Sophita's character. Someone as odd as an obsessively destructive and naive girl is one heck of a character to add into such a macabre series like Casshern Sins. The way she addresses herself in the third person and carelessly does as she pleases is reminiscent of a child. Even her incredible strength matched with her strong desire to live through fighting add on to her passionate and idealistic naivete. However, she clearly states that she wants to live life with passion with violence as her means to do so. Fighting could possibly be Sophita's way of detaching herself from the ever-present fear of falling to ruin, hence her uncontrollable addiction to battle. After watching this episode, Sophita seems as if she is a character masking her weakness. Upon meeting Casshern and witnessing his immortality, Sophita supposedly falls in love with him as she realizes that she has found a truly formidable opponent who can give her the ultimate thrill in battle. I can see where the sexual analogy comes in; her mannerisms and lust for pleasure are not a far cry from an amorous youth. What tipped me off was when Sophita completely gave up her desire to fight by the end of the episode; breaking down into tears and regretting her feeble desire to kill Casshern didn't make much sense to me. At this point I can only cite from the dialogue between Casshern and Sophita where her true desire was to kill for the sake of salvation rather than pleasure. Putting Casshern to rest and ending his forced obligation to battle all those he encounters could possibly be something Sophita gradually desired to do as the episode progressed. These are random guesses, but to see any interpretation on this scene would do this series more justice than I have.

I am watching Casshern SINS for the third time; I'm hoping I can fully appreciate the themes this show has in store for its viewers regarding mortality and redemption. Other than boasting a beautiful, unique art style topped with quality animation and scoring, I have no doubt that I will enjoy this series as much as I did the last time around.
Dec 20, 2013 1:34 PM

Aug 2012
I loved everything about Sophita, she easily deserves to be one of my favorite female characters.
Need to see more of her!
Feb 21, 2014 7:56 AM

May 2012
Pretty okay episode with some nice action and another lovely character that we won't see again...
Feb 26, 2014 4:19 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Sophia was a bit of a simpleton, but at least very sweet in her own quirky homicidal way. It seems that Casshern can avoid going berserk sometimes too.

But where was Friender suddenly?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 25, 2014 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
Casshern×Sophita
Jan 31, 2015 10:00 AM
Mar 2014
Mmh i wonder where Friender was this episode.

Sophia is a inresting character she is obsessed with fighting, but in the end she coudent kill Casshern cause she actually loves him, i realy hope to see her again later in the series.
May 7, 2015 9:25 PM

Aug 2013
This episode was pretty meh, defiantly not as strong as the previous one.
Oct 25, 2015 5:23 PM

Jan 2010

Because this show abuses shadows and dark blues, the warm moments really stick out to me. From this all, Casshern seemed to figure out how his berserk mode works, but I'm unsure of if he can control it yet. Besides that, we got more philosophical talks, this time focusing on purpose and obsession. Sophita gets an adrenaline rush from fighting, which turned into a passion and obsession. There's no rhyme or reason to it all, so I'm unsure if it needed an entire episode to speak on it. In some ways, the episode also felt flat, as that was the main point being driven the whole time.

Lastly, while watching Sophita talk and fight, I kept thinking of Revolutionary Girl Utena. There's something about her eyes.
Dec 9, 2015 7:28 PM

Jul 2015
Shocked said:
Lastly, while watching Sophita talk and fight, I kept thinking of Revolutionary Girl Utena. There's something about her eyes.

Very true. big blank eyes + sheating her sword in her lover's chest. Also, the water that has been red for the whole sword fight (more sexual metaphors?) is clear at the end.

But damn the inconsistencies. There's Friender, but anybody else noticed how Casshern's wound magically moved from his forearm to just under his shoulder when he regenerates?
Jan 3, 2016 6:56 PM

Jan 2013
Keep it up Casshern, 4 fantastic episodes in a row.
Mostly love the atmosphere and the straight forward dialogue.
The man who killed the Sun named Moon, doesn't make sense.
Mar 23, 2016 8:31 PM

Nov 2014
"I love you, so I'm going to destroy you."

Craziness.

I was so happy to see Casshern make a potential friend. Casshern and Sophita are perfect for each other. I'm going to proceed with caution though because, as the previous episodes have shown, anything is liable to happen.

5/5
Oct 19, 2018 9:59 PM
Sep 2015
So where's Friender? Abandoned and/or killed in between episodes?

"In a world ravaged by Ruin, I found one life which refuses to go gentle into that good night." Um, what about all the robots that tried to kill and eat you? I'm betting it's bad translation though, like the bits and pieces of bad translations I've caught a few times in this show so far even with my "few words learned from anime" knowledge of Japanese.
May 31, 2019 3:00 PM

Jul 2016
Fine episode, nothing special.
Apr 12, 2020 3:29 PM

Apr 2008
Angel od Ruin Sophita is one of those characters who didn't go berserk while fighting. She found pride (or "food") in fighting a challenge and swinging her sword. Cass said :She can only relay her feelings through battle".

Meeting Casshern, she was a bit astonished that he didn't want to fight "for play".

Since he has all his power and the inability to receive fatal wounds, isn't it not impressive to her? I think we all (and her) can appreciate Casshern's humility.

I might've gotten confused somewhere.
Apr 27, 2020 1:16 PM

Feb 2020
Where's Friender ? I don't remember him having left... That's weird.
I really like Sophita, such an interesting and touching character ! She's almost like a child in some way... I hope she'll come back, though I have doubts. At least she didn't die, that made me happy. It probably gave hope to Casshern too : he doesn't bring death everywhere he goes. Not only that, but he can also control himself. He only kills those who want to kill him... That's very good to know. Also great to know that there are people who genuily don't want to kill him. Well, Akos prpbably wouldn't have want either, but the poor guy died anyway..
I hope one day Casshern will find someone who will stay by his side.
I loved this episode ! This anime is such a particular one.
Apr 27, 2022 12:45 PM
Apr 2011
literally the only episode worth watching of the first 13
May 28, 2022 9:01 AM

Feb 2021
That was pretty boring compared to the last 3
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 20, 2008

92 by GabrielWhite »»
Feb 15, 10:33 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 22 Discussion

shoxk - Mar 8, 2009

36 by P_e_r_i »»
Dec 19, 2023 7:17 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 20 Discussion

dbaranyi - Feb 18, 2009

28 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 4, 2009

93 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 16, 2008

94 by FireRifle64 »»
Nov 24, 2023 9:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.