Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2008 12:35 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"The Wind of Arras"

Antoinette is entranced by singer Yolande de Polignac and invites her entire family to move to Versailles—one of the many decisions that would lead to her eventual destruction. Against the rules of her confinement, Oscar takes a trip to Arras, a peasant village under her family's care. There, she learns of the terrible condition of the common French people. The peasants treat her coldly because of her noble lineage. Robespierre, there on a trip to help them, tells her that the majority of French people blame the Queen's hedonism for their unending suffering. Gilbert, the son of the peasant Sugan, falls ill, and is left to die due to his family's inability to pay for a doctor. Oscar takes him to the hospital and pays in Sugan's stead, saving the child, but is deeply affected by everything she has seen and heard. summary courtesy of Wikipedia

-nice change of pace from the usual royal court drama
-Robespierre (check your history books kids)?
-Looks like the entire country is turning against the royal family, especially Antoinette o_o
Feb 5, 2009 10:37 PM

May 2007
Good to see Oscar finally understand how bad things are, and more Robespierre, this is really going to turn out good(though I do not recall Oscar in my history books, so her fate is a mystery to me)
My anime list
Apr 21, 2009 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
I fell just a little bit in love with Lady Oscar.
Sep 4, 2011 6:36 AM

Feb 2010
Robespierre appeared again and together with reality serves as an eye-opener for Oscar. I wonder what she will make of it in the future, at least now she should be fully aware of everything.

And I was totally surprised by the spoilerific announcement of the narrator that this Poignac Lady will "dominate Versailles for a decade". She just came out of nowhere, but it seems like she'll become part of the main cast. Interesting.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 4, 2011 10:59 PM

Jun 2009
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Robespierre appeared again and together with reality serves as an eye-opener for Oscar. I wonder what she will make of it in the future, at least now she should be fully aware of everything.

And I was totally surprised by the spoilerific announcement of the narrator that this Poignac Lady will "dominate Versailles for a decade". She just came out of nowhere, but it seems like she'll become part of the main cast. Interesting.

Well, the narrator isn't really "spoiling" anything at all. I think the series just assumes that the person watching the series knows of the events leading up to the Revolution or at least has a general idea.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 30, 2012 7:01 AM

Sep 2008
insan3soldiern said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Well, the narrator isn't really "spoiling" anything at all. I think the series just assumes that the person watching the series knows of the events leading up to the Revolution or at least has a general idea.

I agree with insan3soldiern, in that it seems like the writer has assumed most viewers are savvy to the idea that these characters are all somehow involved in the French Revolution.

I was surprised that the Duchess of Polignac is one of the people that would worsen Marie Antoinette's standing in all of this. She seemed so benign, but obviously you can't judge a book by its cover. Too bad Marie is so naïve and lacks any sense of caution whatsoever. I didn't really agree with Oscar when she explained what she thought was Marie's reasoning for putting her ("her" as in Oscar) under "house-arrest" after her duel with the Duke of Guéméné... Oscar was giving Marie too much credit, in my opinion!

I like the direction this is going in, though!

mitamaking said:
Good to see Oscar finally understand how bad things are, and more Robespierre, this is really going to turn out good(though I do not recall Oscar in my history books, so her fate is a mystery to me)

Oscar is a fictional character, although her father (in this series) actually did exist in the role and name suggested in the anime. :)
Feb 13, 2013 12:43 AM

Sep 2010
I'm glad Gilbert lived cause that would be too sad to have another death of a child. T^T

Even though it was harsh I side with the father I would rather keep whats making us money than let everyone die of starvation in the family. Poverty is very cruel.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 14, 2013 10:54 PM

Jul 2008
I call this the lightbulb episode because it finally clicked with Oscar.

Is Antoinette a nice and kind person, yes. But she and the royal court are spending unseemly loads of money on fancy dresses, parties, wine every freaking day while 96% percent of the population is in the worst of poverty footing the bill. The church isn't helping matters either.

You don't come across very nice if you are breaking peoples backs to party every day. Bring on the revolution.
Sep 29, 2014 9:44 PM

Jul 2011
Yeah, Oscar's fictional. It's funny to see Robespierre, knowing what his role in history later on is. And his ultimate fate. XD

And yay for lightbulb episode! Glad to see Oscar realizing how poor society is.
Sep 29, 2014 10:39 PM

Mar 2012
Seems like things can only go downhill from here on. Let's see how Oscar will try to prevent the unavoidable events to come.
Dec 18, 2014 3:25 AM

Jun 2013
insan3priest said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Then the show assumes it wrong, and they should have known that not all people have even a slightest knowledge about events leading up to the Revolution. You're trying too hard to defend it this time, the narrator is clearly spoiling things whether in purpose or not and it's not the first time she does it. As simple as that.

The story is progressing well; France is dying. The last few episodes seem to emphasize that Oscar's eyes are being opened. The princess can't really be blamed for everything though, it's her environtment gives her a negative influence. I mean she's surrounded by her evil aunts and the Court itself is full of corrupt people.

I'm loving this series.
Feb 13, 2015 3:38 AM

Nov 2014
Unfortunately kindness and generosity won't save you from going bankrupt, and, by the way it is represented in this show, both the King and the Queen have no power and are at the moment unaware of what it to unfold in the coming future, heck, they probably had no power in the real history as well, plus the money they spent on the American War, which was around 56 million pounds(1.3 billion livres) and their national debt totaling ~187 million pounds.

I wonder what role the fictional character Oscar would play and I liked that she started to grasp what are the people experiencing outside the palace and what is their view on the Royal Family.
Mar 9, 2015 4:53 PM

Apr 2014
hmmmmm....Oscar finally realizes how terrible Marie is (as a queen). hopefully she talks some sense into her...I really doubt it though lol, Marie is in too deep into this royalty thing to actually understand poverty
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2015 9:41 AM

Mar 2012
Impala said:
insan3priest said:

Then the show assumes it wrong, and they should have known that not all people have even a slightest knowledge about events leading up to the Revolution. You're trying too hard to defend it this time, the narrator is clearly spoiling things whether in purpose or not and it's not the first time she does it. As simple as that.

Agree with that. I mean, is the average watcher supposed to know who Yolande de Polignac is?

Also, I guess its been a year know? From the crowning, I mean.
Oscar and Mare are 20 e King Louis XVI is 21.
Jan 6, 2016 5:19 PM
Nov 2014
This shit is so realistic and depressing to watch, Oscar is trying her best to avoid a massive war between the people in France while Marie is having fun inside her castle.
Jun 9, 2016 1:24 AM

Jan 2013
The narrator is probably even worse than that of LoGH in the spoiling aspect. Oh well...

A nice change of pace from the usual court drama.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Dec 11, 2017 2:34 PM

Nov 2016
Time for Oscar to smack some sense into Marie,not that it wouldn't be too late for that.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 24, 2018 12:42 PM
Jan 2018
Finalmente Oscar se deu conta do óbvio, as condições para as pessoas trabalhadoras estão péssimas. Os governantes não fazem nada para melhorar isso. Antonieta como sempre infantil e fácil de manipular. Não vejo a hora da revolução começar.
Nov 26, 2018 8:01 AM
Jan 2017
Damn,this series has spoiled so much from leader of french revolution to people who will cause Antoinette's downfall.Am I even supposed to watch this series further with spoilers raining like cats and dogs??
Jan 8, 2019 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
For me, Lady Antoinette easily takes the cake for worst girl. So selfish, so self-centered. Making friends with whomever it's to her taste, having fun in her own circle, while Oscar is out there witnessing the horror of people living in poverty.

Sorry not sorry, but Antoinette, you disgust me to no end.
And whatever tragedy Madame Polignac is about to bestow on Lady Antoinette, I'm saying this in advance - she has totally deserved it.

Kind? Don't make me laugh. The new Queen and King of France are for pitty.

P.S. Why kids are so cute, pure and innocent in the series? The world doesn't deserve these smol precious jewels. I loved brave little Gilbert.
May 19, 2020 4:43 PM

Sep 2019
Oscar is definitely becoming one of my favorite characters not just in the show but in general, can’t wait to have two oscars/k in my favorites
Lol
Sep 10, 2020 3:17 AM

Jul 2015
Robespierre may be outspoken, but he do be spitting facts there. Must've been quite the reality check for Oscar who has been living at the royal side for a while. Even though knowing in reality people like Gilbert would have a tragic death, I'm still glad he didn't die here

Jan 3, 2021 8:30 PM

Mar 2020
youthful said:
For me, Lady Antoinette easily takes the cake for worst girl. So selfish, so self-centered. Making friends with whomever it's to her taste, having fun in her own circle, while Oscar is out there witnessing the horror of people living in poverty.

And whatever tragedy Madame Polignac is about to bestow on Lady Antoinette, I'm saying this in advance - she has totally deserved it.

I agree with everything you said. Although I think some of the blame falls on those nobels who are not trying to stop her from making those decisions, it's still mostly her fault. I really want to feel bad for her but she's just bringing everything onto herself. She's just so naive and carefree... The revolution is just inevitable at this point.
Joe, Joe Forever....
Jan 11, 2021 2:38 AM

Apr 2012
AkaiWaZ said:
youthful said:

I agree with everything you said. Although I think some of the blame falls on those nobels who are not trying to stop her from making those decisions, it's still mostly her fault. I really want to feel bad for her but she's just bringing everything onto herself. She's just so naive and carefree... The revolution is just inevitable at this point.

Ironically, the show actually makes her a much more positive and sympathetic character than the real Marie.

Mar 29, 2021 8:16 PM

Aug 2018
Wow, Im really mad right now and Im not even living during that injustice, no wonder they all start a revolution. Honestly fuck the nobles.

Oct 26, 2021 4:11 AM

Nov 2008
He said the commoners pay for the lifestyle of the 4 percent. In modern America, the bottom 50 percent of Americans hold just 2 percent of the country's wealth and the top 1 percent own more wealth than half the country. I know the French must've had it worse before their revolution, but I can't help but see the parallels in wealth disparity.

Trequartista said:
The narrator is probably even worse than that of LoGH in the spoiling aspect. Oh well...

A nice change of pace from the usual court drama.

Everything the narrator has spoiled so far has been based on historical events and people. So she hasn't really spoiled anything.
EzekielOct 26, 2021 5:06 PM

Dec 11, 2021 1:57 PM

Feb 2020
That was such a great episode ! It was so interesting to see the beginnings of the French Revolution, as well as Oscar's reaction to it. But regarding Oscar, I love her but her almost blind dedication to Marie-Antoinette is worrying. Marie-Antoinette being a kind person doesn't make her any less of a bad queen, I hope Oscar realises that. And this has me thinking, considering that she is both incredibly loyal to Marie-Antoinette and deeply compassionate towards the people, I wonder which side she'll choose to join during the Revolution. I can't see her betraying Marie-Antoinette to take part in the revolt, but neither can I see her fighting against the people who she empathizes with.
One thing is sure, it is getting more and more interesting.
Jul 20, 2022 10:18 AM

Apr 2016
Well they say "third time's the charm" and Oscar finally understood what is the situation outside the palace and the rich people world but kind of weird that Andre, who has been with her in every the poor are suffering! instance, still has his doubt but I guess it add a little of drama between them.

On the other hand, Marie got a bestie.
May 26, 2023 9:15 AM

Jan 2021
This episode was really sad and heartbreaking. It was so real that I almost cried when they couldn't take their son to the hospital. They only have one "treasure" which is a cow that they use for livelihood, producing milk and cheese which is an expensive food for the rich and noble, but they themselves can only eat potatoes.

It reminded me a bit of builders. There was one who once told me that his job was to build tall buildings, build big houses and renovate beautiful houses, he was used to holding expensive building materials and furniture but his own house was just a small ordinary house. I know these two are two different cases but I just think that many of the rich who can live luxuriously are thanks to the poor.

Also, Marie really needs to be much more wiser in choosing friends. Given that she is the Queen.. there are obviously people who are trying to take advantage of her and bring her down.

Nov 5, 2023 9:08 AM

May 2020
I love how real they are keeping it, letting Oscar see the reality of the country, behind the fences of Versailles. And man, I LOVE Robespierre, I've read a few books about him and he's my hero, so every minute I can see him, and I can see him depicted with such historical accuracy, the happier I get.

As for the comparisons that were made in the comments between XVIII century France and the modern day Western world, social inequality is definitely greater in modern day USA and I believe also in modern day Western Europe but I would need more research to check that information. It should however be noted that the commodities available were less and so, less inequality may still lead to higher rates of hunger, which is still pretty high even in modern day USA, with 11.1% of households, or 37.2M people, facing food insecurity in 2018 and 40% of households with young children during the pandemic.
The French Revolution wasn't only a revolution of the poor however, but also of the bourgeoisie that had obtained considerable economic power and this way obtained the corresponding poilitical power. Of course the propellent was largely the rage of the poor people, who also did most of the fighting and dying, and Robespierre represented their interests, but he was killed and the White Terror was unleashed on all of the revolutionaries more tied to the interests of the poor people, while myths regarding Robespierre's own rule were spread by both the French bourgeois elite and the European monarchs alike.
The death of a man is a horrible thing; the death of a million is statistics.
Apr 1, 8:23 PM
Jul 2020
I’m so glad Oscar’s eyes are finally opening to the situation of France’s people. She’s slowly realizing that just cause the royal couple are kindhearted, it doesn’t mean the people should accept these hardships that are flung onto them! Oscar really needs to knock some sense into the nobles.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 )

fanty - Nov 5, 2009

74 by GinGmaximum »»
Apr 19, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Apr 18, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.