Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG Episode 2 Discussion

Sep 9, 2008 3:12 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode was....boring tbh.

Oct 20, 2008 8:06 AM

This ep was hard to follow, reality and dreams were that interwoven.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/

Oct 20, 2008 5:50 PM

Honestly, I found the episode nice. The tone was dark and I loved the intertwining of reality and his "dreams". The allusions to Scorsese's Taxi Driver is surprising!

The main character's frustration with society and his lone crusade to seek justice and his desire to free the "prostitute" from her handlers were elements tastefully adapted into that episode. A noteworthy scene is with the full length mirror with the main character bare chested, a pistol pointed towards his reflection and I was just waiting for him to pout out "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?"

In my humble opinion, even though it is a stand alone episode it has conveyed the essence of the GitS storyline. The theme suited its cyberpunk genre pretty well, the war veteran probably got messed in the head due to his war experience and cyberization and his dream to kill an important CEO prompted S9 to investigate him to ascertain if he was involved with the Individual 11 or not.
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"

Oct 28, 2008 6:04 AM

Really enjoyed it. Whoever did the VA for Gino (English) did a superb job i thought. If anyone knows who it was, let me know. One thing bugged me, didn't he hate those who where fully cyberised ? Then why was he oogling over a fully prosthetic major ? =/ Maybe it goes with his "pathetic" nature or maybe i just missed something. Either way, good ep.

Oct 29, 2008 6:40 PM

lukey001 said:
Really enjoyed it. Whoever did the VA for Gino (English) did a superb job i thought. If anyone knows who it was, let me know. One thing bugged me, didn't he hate those who where fully cyberised ? Then why was he oogling over a fully prosthetic major ? =/ Maybe it goes with his "pathetic" nature or maybe i just missed something. Either way, good ep.

Gino was so obsessed with the Major's "character" because I think her cyborg body is very well made that it is almost human. Remember episode 8 of the first season, Missing Hearts? Togusa and the Major went to the Meditech organ farm owned by the CEO who was using the Jameson body and he commented that the Major should get organs from his company, but Motoko replies: "Togusa's the one who is flesh and blood." That scene made me conclude that the Major's body or the cyborg bodies in the SAC universe are almost identical to real organic human bodies.

Also, Gino's "pathetic" nature was brought about by his wartime experience. It was stated he was a decorated soldier during the last war but his exit from the military was far from hero-like. As per Batou, he got a severe case of VD, damn horny bastard! That explained his cyberized lower half body and also post traumatic stress could've messed up his mind really well. Poor guy!

Modified by Leibstandarte, Oct 29, 2008 6:44 PM
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"

Oct 30, 2008 10:16 PM

Man great post Leibstandarte, thanks for clearing that all up for me =)

Oct 31, 2008 3:58 AM

You are most welcome, it was my pleasure.

Jan 24, 2009 6:21 AM

Glad to be watching this again after some of the stuff I've seen recently. Good episode.

Mar 18, 2009 2:00 PM

Amazing ep. One of my favorites. I love the way it portrayed his desire and ambition. I always enjoy stuff that makes you question reality and second guess your existence.

Oct 14, 2009 9:38 PM

I think this was a good episode...as long as you think about what is being portrayed. This episode did seem more different than any other Ghost in the Shell episode so far.

Nov 21, 2009 8:35 AM

Didn't really understand this episode. Not entirely part of Ghost in the Shell even though it was part of the investigation. I want more dealing with Section 9!

Feb 6, 2010 5:30 AM

This was by far the best stand alone GITS episode of what I've seen thus far. Even though it aped Taxi Driver so heavily it managed to do it in a way that made it relevant to the rest of the series unlike a lot of anime which references stuff with no goal or purpose in mind. I hope to see some more ambitious episodes like this throughout the series.

Apr 9, 2010 4:58 AM

Odd episode O_O, I mean kind of interesting but not quite what I was looking for although it is really different from most of what I've seen.

May 6, 2010 7:12 PM

i kind of feel sorry for the guy who lost his lower half that sucks
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures

May 27, 2010 7:18 PM

hello everyone!

i believe this episode is extremely similar to James Thurber's short story "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". it's probably based off of the story, cuz season 1 was slightly based off of J.D. Salinger's novel "The Catcher and the Rye".

"the secret life" dealt with a man very similar to gino (he's a pretty low ranked, wanna-be-hero), who dreams of being a war hero, bad-ass (etc). the short story goes back and forth between Mr. Mitty's reality and dreams, so, just like the GITS episode, it's pretty confusing at first.

hehe :DD

Jul 14, 2010 10:05 AM

This episode was disturbingly well done. I mean really, really well done. Probably the most disturbing episode I've seen in an anime series.

Nov 21, 2010 7:32 PM

What happened to Motoko's body???

And I swear if he dare to fantasize about my Motoko again...

An episode about an emo or just really a loser.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Dec 1, 2010 4:00 AM

Pretty confusing but thanks to Leibstandarte i understand most of it :D

I think this is one of the best episodes in the SAC series.

Dec 5, 2010 2:42 PM

It had potential, but I still found it kind of boring. Part of it is because it focused on a one-shot character, so I had no real attachment to him or what he's going through. The other part is that I simply don't find that type of person to be interesting, and I find the characters to be as important as the plot.

I do like the idea of focusing an episode on the targets of Section 9, just not this one.

Dec 24, 2010 9:11 PM

i came to this thread specifically to see if anyone else thought this episode was similar to taxi driver......you did, and now i dont think im crazy.....thank you....that is all
lol

Feb 28, 2011 6:58 PM

One of the best SAC episodes I've seen thus far.

Mar 22, 2011 7:09 PM

Yes. Very nice!

Apr 4, 2011 4:04 PM

A hard to follow episode, but it was interesting. I liked the tone of it, I didn't enjoy it as much as others, but it was still quite good.

May 12, 2011 1:52 PM

Leibstandarte said:
The allusions to Scorsese's Taxi Driver is surprising!

Felt the same way! this episode was good.

Sep 27, 2011 12:30 AM
This is the only episode of any series that I started watching by accident three times and decided to keep on watching it even though I already knew what was going to happen.

Oct 20, 2011 8:00 PM

This episode was brilliant. If you found it boring, then I'm sorry to say that you have poor taste and probably shouldn't be watching Ghost in the Shell.

Love the Taxi Driver homage, and whereas I felt that most of the series is post-cyberpunk, shifting the perspective to that of an obsessive, socially alienated man made it dark and edgy enough to be true (brilliant) cyberpunk. Flawless direction, and a conclusion that's satisfying without revealing too much. It's shows like this that still give me faith in anime as a respectable medium.

Dec 1, 2011 7:39 AM

GENIUS!

Loved this episode, every second of it. I do admit though it was hard to follow due HEAVY dialogue. Anyway I understood that the man was being "hacked" by Motoko the whole time to find out if his fantasies were more than that. The way this episode was executed it just blew me away.

And yes the Taxi Driver vibe is there!

Jan 13, 2012 12:45 AM

@Leibstandarte
Leibstandarte said:
lukey001 said:

Gino was so obsessed with the Major's "character" because I think her cyborg body is very well made that it is almost human. Remember episode 8 of the first season, Missing Hearts? Togusa and the Major went to the Meditech organ farm owned by the CEO who was using the Jameson body and he commented that the Major should get organs from his company, but Motoko replies: "Togusa's the one who is flesh and blood." That scene made me conclude that the Major's body or the cyborg bodies in the SAC universe are almost identical to real organic human bodies.

Also, Gino's "pathetic" nature was brought about by his wartime experience. It was stated he was a decorated soldier during the last war but his exit from the military was far from hero-like. As per Batou, he got a severe case of VD, damn horny bastard! That explained his cyberized lower half body and also post traumatic stress could've messed up his mind really well. Poor guy!

Love your explanation :D

definitely one of the interesting episodes of the series.

it just shows you the blur between reality and fantasy.

think of it this way, im pretty sure people had the urge to do something, but can do it in real life thus fantasizing it everyday to the point that they will be forced to do it in some way.

in gino's case. he's definitely weak and emotional thus can only dream these fantasies of his.

i kinda like Major's serious look :P

i also notice they upped her bosoms on the 2nd season so that's a plus :D

overall interesting episode and can't wait for more of these :D

10/10

Mar 10, 2012 10:19 PM

A very unorthodox episode, but amazingly executed. I really liked it.

Mar 31, 2012 4:00 AM

Stunning episode. Who hasn't had those type of thoughts?

Apr 20, 2012 2:01 PM

maladjustment to a dysfunctional society is a sign of astoundingly positive mental health. retreating into one's own mind is the only escape for those of us who are still sane. the director is commendable for not giving in to the misanthropy and irrationality of his reference material, taxi driver.

"he's just another member of the proletariat who's unaware of reality."

beautiful and brilliant in it's own scornful way.

Jul 10, 2012 7:03 PM

Holy shit, I thought I was the only one who felt a Taxi Driver vibe from this. This was an extremely good episode, prob one of the best I've seen in an anime. And the dub was fantastic
Modified by Lately, Jul 11, 2012 5:54 PM

Oct 11, 2012 7:32 PM

That was an interesting episode. I guess a lot of people fantasize stuff like that all the time but never actually get to doing anything.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika

Oct 24, 2012 6:17 PM

That was one hell of a crazy and confused man.. anyway, can't stop listening to the ending song over and over again.. really nice :)

Dec 24, 2012 9:00 AM

Honestly I have no idea what this was about. Might need to rewatch.

Jan 2, 2013 10:18 AM

I didn't find it boring tbh. The undercover skills of Makoto during that party was pretty slick.

Feb 13, 2013 9:35 AM

Boring again but it seems that 130% in play speed makes it a bit better to watch! They should just give those Tachikoma more screen time to make this show good!

Mar 27, 2013 12:46 PM
It should be hard for people who are watching the series just for seeing some gunshots. Really, I do not understand how people find these kinds of episodes boring as hell and still give the entire series 10/10.

May 10, 2013 8:34 PM

Interesting episode.

May 31, 2013 10:24 AM
PrinceHeir said:
@Leibstandarte
Leibstandarte said:
lukey001 said:

Love your explanation :D

definitely one of the interesting episodes of the series.

it just shows you the blur between reality and fantasy.

think of it this way, im pretty sure people had the urge to do something, but can do it in real life thus fantasizing it everyday to the point that they will be forced to do it in some way.

in gino's case. he's definitely weak and emotional thus can only dream these fantasies of his.

i kinda like Major's serious look :P

i also notice they upped her bosoms on the 2nd season so that's a plus :D

overall interesting episode and can't wait for more of these :D

10/10

This episode was ...holy fucking shit...i have never seen anything like this...how can people say it was boring,are they retarted or what?They should go watch their fucking shounen or something...

Jun 3, 2013 2:02 PM

This episode was alright, I liked the atmosphere if anything. Very dark and grim, almost like a waking nightmare
Powerful eyebrows.

Jun 12, 2013 1:12 PM

This wasn't that bad for a first SA episode. Cant wait to see some Tachikoma's :)

Jun 25, 2013 2:01 PM

Lately said:
Holy shit, I thought I was the only one who felt a Taxi Driver vibe from this. This was an extremely good episode, prob one of the best I've seen in an anime. And the dub was fantastic

It is a very obvious reference, though ultimately it went in a different direction. Good episode, I think I liked the directing and how it intercut what Gino wanted to do with what he'd actually do more than anything.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Jun 29, 2013 3:20 PM

Nice Taxi Driver episode :)

Dec 14, 2013 3:37 AM

This episode really reminds me of a film I have watched quite some time ago...I remember it being about a Vietnam War veteran turned driver--extremely similar to this episode. Anyways, 4/5, this episode points out the psychological impact the previous wars have on the veterans, and the divergence in human society as compared to what we see today. Just like many of the others out there, he's an individual trying to gain some focus and point in living, but are only unable to act out and stay in silence. This episode could be better in the execution in his thoughts IMO, and probably include a greater link with the IE (Indiv 11).
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jan 14, 2014 12:06 PM

Really mysterious episode, but the ending explained it all.

I found it really interresting and weirdly relaxing.

The poor guy was only driven by all his delirium but incapable to get in action. A poor soldier that couldn't solve his traumatism and instead escaped in conspiracies.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie

Apr 13, 2014 6:48 AM

Extraordinary and unique episode. Really deep stuff. So far a great start to the 2nd season of GITS.

Jun 13, 2014 4:15 AM

5/5

Good episode.
The worst people there has been shown in its entirety, of the proletarian as to only be the desire to beat him.
The plot even if no action is very real and deep, being yet another problem plaguing the modern society!
Drawings and animations good.
Convoluted narrative, but linear in the express lucid madness of the poor man who was believed to who knows who.

Feb 5, 2015 7:13 AM

Yup, also agree on the taxi driver homage.

Really cool episode, probably the most 'unique' of what I've seen so far from the franchise :P No focus on the team really, all on that dudes mix of reality and fantasy. Quite a depressing episode tbh.

Feb 18, 2015 6:47 PM

Damn good episode

Pages (2) [1] 2 »