Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 1, 2013 12:11 PM

May 2007
So far I have to say this has been one of the best shows I've watched recently, It's rare I find a show that I decide to watch "just one more episode" for the next few hours after watching a few.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 is proving to be one of those shows. (I never watched the original or read any mangas so i'm viewing it as a standalone).
Dec 1, 2013 12:18 PM

May 2013
exodus500 said:
So far I have to say this has been one of the best shows I've watched recently, It's rare I find a show that I decide to watch "just one more episode" for the next few hours after watching a few.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 is proving to be one of those shows. (I never watched the original or read any mangas so i'm viewing it as a standalone).
And this is only the beginning :) You know, until episode 37 I didn't liked this show, but now look at the rating on my list!
Dec 2, 2013 3:36 PM

Jan 2012
been watching this show and haven't posted up to yet as i pretty much blasted upto this point (15 eps in less than 24 hours) what i love about this show (and what i saw in this episode) is that the fights are realistic, if your opponent is stronger, he will win and beat the s**t out of you, gon had no chance.... but what he did excel in was psychology and that win was purely by getting into Hanzo's head and almost frustrating him by making him believe there was no way he could win, so rather than kill him and wait a year.... gon probably knew he would take his chances against another opponent?
Dec 31, 2013 7:39 AM

Jul 2013
so Gon is now a hunter??.. hmmm..
Jan 25, 2014 9:20 PM
Aug 2013
enjoyed this episode but i thought it was done better in the original version. It was more intense. Still good though. and lmfao at gona kicking hanzo when he was doing a handstand!
Mar 5, 2014 11:55 AM

Dec 2013
nanny96 said:
exodus500 said:

And this is only the beginning :) You know, until episode 37 I didn't liked this show, but now look at the rating on my list!

episode 37 eh? I was wondering when this show would get good. So far the story and the soundtrack are the best parts. Most of the characters either look stupid or lame. I don't think I've seen a show with such consistently un-cool looking characters. Also there hasn't been one even exciting fight. There's been excitement, but its mostly been heavily based on trickery, which I suppose is in line with the hunter theme.

I wanna see that joker rip off get his ass beat! I can't stand smug sadistic characters.
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 15, 2014 11:24 PM

Dec 2012
Years later and this episode still aggravates me to no end. This the episode that first made me dislike Gon. Sigh.

Just terrible. The Hunter exams is one of my favorites arcs but the final phase is just horrible except for one match.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ShockedJan 4, 2017 12:30 AM
Mar 16, 2014 4:28 AM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Years later and this episode still aggravates me to no end. This the episode that first made me dislike Gon. Sigh.

Just terrible. The Hunter exams is one of my favorites arcs but the final phase is just horrible except for one match.

Not because the plot says so..... because in real life people who don't deserve shit sometimes get everything they shouldn't and because Life Ain't Fair. And it makes perfect sense.... unless you have too little life experience (not intended to insult you).

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
ShockedJan 4, 2017 12:30 AM
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Mar 16, 2014 4:32 AM

Dec 2012
Huh? that what you got from that?

The show didn't really emphasis that someone didn't deserve it or really mentioned it, for it to be a life lesson.

I am the one who think they don't.
Mar 16, 2014 4:43 AM

Oct 2013
Who said about life lessons??? I just said it feels right and makes sense to point out that your claim "the plot says so..." seems not right to me. I mean you say that incompetent people became hunters who didn't deserve to be and you say "cause plot says so"... That implies that it doesn't make sense and that it feels random??? Correct me if I am wrong. Yes I know you are the one who thinks so and what exactly do you imply???

And I replied to make a point that in real life the exact same shit happens. Even in politics, look at the people who rule most of the nations and how they are competent or not and if they deserve to be there or not.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Mar 16, 2014 4:47 AM

Dec 2012
We are operating in two different realms of logic. Let's just leave it.
Mar 16, 2014 7:45 AM

Oct 2013
We can do that and we actually should if you just could write.. "because plot says so... at least in my opinion"
Apr 24, 2014 8:25 AM

Jan 2011
determinator levels were high even for battle shonen standards, the thing that annoyed me was that this is like the first fight the show had an they had to abuse this trope even though it wasnt a life or death situation
still i was expecting the fight to end like that, i loled when the ninja decide to show of his skills in the middle of the fight
Kurapika vs Hisoka MIGHT be interesting but im almost sure that Hisoka will surrender to let him pass so im not expecting much from that fight (or any other fight to be honest)
Apr 24, 2014 8:29 AM

Feb 2014
silversaint said:
determinator levels were high even for battle shonen standards, the thing that annoyed me was that this is like the first fight the show had an they had to abuse this trope even though it wasnt a life or death situation
still i was expecting the fight to end like that, i loled when the ninja decide to show of his skills in the middle of the fight
Kurapika vs Hisoka MIGHT be interesting but im almost sure that Hisoka will surrender to let him pass so im not expecting much from that fight (or any other fight to be honest)

i like to think that this is the opposite way of the trope, the trope usually goes with the person's resolve empowering him and helping him win. This was will in its genuine form, as described by Killua, he were still at a disadvantage and much weaker, yet won the person over to let him win.
May 7, 2014 8:53 PM

Jul 2007
The tournament battle is off to an intense start. Gon is just relentless when it comes to not giving up. Just like all shonen protagonist.

Gon is clearly out of hanzo league's but since neither of them could come to a proper conclusion, he threw the towel and let gon take the win. Seriously netero, what a screwed up system.

Gons Mentality is just unwavering.

Next episode is one in particular i been waiting for to see if it did justice to the manga.

May 24, 2014 4:51 AM

Jan 2014
Oh shit that's it? I thought he's power up or something, and he's not even the main enemy lmao.

I like how they were realistic and said "nah, he fucked"
I was really liking the show but now I'm really liking it a lot more.

Gon is a hunter now.
I'm pretty sure everyone else will be. Old guy or pokkle will lose.
Jun 6, 2014 6:42 PM

May 2010
Lol what?? Bullshit. He just gives up???
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 20, 2014 12:23 AM

Nov 2011
That was brutal... but Gon won. I find it interesting that Killua became so jealous.

I find it interesting that only one person will be eliminated. That's quite a spin on your traditional tourney.

...I need to stop reading the comments until I've caught up more. There's too many semi-spoilers and comparisons to the old show. >.>;
Jun 25, 2014 1:41 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm, nice stand off.
I thought something like that would happen
Sep 29, 2014 7:29 PM

Jun 2014
Well that was pretty retarded... I thought for sure there would be a twist to the rules that the examiner hadent revealed yet or something...
Nov 22, 2014 11:03 AM

Oct 2011
Felt pretty anti-climatic for Gon to win this way, I've got a feeling there's more to this. Pretty clever of him to beat Hanzo the way he did, though.
Dec 18, 2014 2:12 PM

Aug 2013
Well, that was different than I would have thought. I really thought it would be somekind of deathmatch. That are some really weird match.

Killua really is angry. I guess he can't accept that someone win the Hunter title only by his will. I can clearly understand his frustration, when someone who is completely dominating the other lose. Will he lose it during his matchs?

So Gon is now a Hunter. I loved how enraged Leorio and Kurapika. And damnit, Gon, when someone admit his defeat, you take it without complaining xD
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 17, 2015 12:33 AM

Jun 2009
That's a really cool tournament format, never seen anything like it before.
Mar 19, 2015 2:34 PM

Jun 2014
I was expecting a hardcore fist fight. I am disappoint

May 17, 2015 1:40 AM

Mar 2015
I thought it was perfect. Gon is a kid whose being is unhealthily consumed by determination, will, and pride. Those are his weaknesses which he must overcome if he doesn't want to die an early death. Unlike typical shounen where strength of will is correlated with power and success, HxH portrays it as a debilitating factor when not properly tempered with rationality. That is part of the show's genius to me.
Jun 5, 2015 9:51 AM
Dec 2014
Dumb as fuck episode classic main character aids
Jul 15, 2015 1:58 PM
Jun 2014
Finally, things got interesting! I was on the verge of dropping this!
Jul 15, 2015 2:02 PM

Jul 2013
Avish said:
You shouldn't drop it, no matter what.. The anime is a masterpiece. The best one ever made if you ask me. Keep watching
Jul 16, 2015 1:16 AM
Jun 2014
alphaAngel said:
Avish said:
You shouldn't drop it, no matter what.. The anime is a masterpiece. The best one ever made if you ask me. Keep watching

High ratings is the only reason I've kept watching so far, otherwise I'd have dropped it long before. So far it's been decent fun, but I've yet to see anything that matches the ratings. Hope it delivers.
Jul 19, 2015 8:37 PM

Dec 2012
Interesting to watch, but Gon was pretty aggravating. He was really lucky he ended up with a relatively compassionate opponent. It was really interesting to see tenacity taken to the point of insanity.

Loved how even Hisoka entered wtf mode, and how Leorio and Kurapika got pissed.
Aug 31, 2015 4:29 PM

Feb 2015
DaydreamHero said:
nanny96 said:

episode 37 eh? I was wondering when this show would get good. So far the story and the soundtrack are the best parts. Most of the characters either look stupid or lame. I don't think I've seen a show with such consistently un-cool looking characters. Also there hasn't been one even exciting fight. There's been excitement, but its mostly been heavily based on trickery, which I suppose is in line with the hunter theme.

I wanna see that joker rip off get his ass beat! I can't stand smug sadistic characters.

sadistic, yes, since it is clearly shown that hisoka gets a serious turn on when it comes to great fighters. smug? nope.

one of the reasons why my mother doesn't like hisoka is because she claims he's arrogant, which is just not true.

hisoka - at his very core - is a fighter. he loves it to pieces. and he'll do anything to get more of it. the very fact he is helping gon should prove this. hisoka loves a challenge, and he tests others as well as himself. there's nothing arrogant about that. he has no pride about himself more than others. in fact he RESPECTS people because of what they do. this is just a simple misunderstanding that you've done, believing that this is your average shounen with average villains. the reason why HXH has skyrocketed is because is breaks every single painful chain of the dark,far too cleched road.

x5exotic said:
xXDGFXx said:
Was killua this whiny before? i don't remember him being like that in the manga or the original one...

Yes he was. He was actually sasuke-emo in the 1999 version.

.....not really. like at all. killua was willing to make and have friends while sasuke wasn't even concerned about it. really, the 2 franchises have nothing in common plot wise.
-----
to be honest i thought hanzo would kick the bucket very early on. he looked lame as heck with that outfit, and he just didn't seem that good. it's very surprising that he's made it this far and whipped gon up like that. i thought he had a fair chance, to be honest.

and i've seen these rages on hanzavsgon, and how stupid he was acting.

you've got to take the good with the bad sometimes people. everyone was beyond happy when gon got the tag and saved pika and leo and helping the man from drowning, etc. now he's an idiot?

everyone aught to know by know that when gon makes a decision, HE MAKES IT. NOTHING changes his mind. think about it, after all that bull and humiliation he went through with hisoka and the others, you want him to give up for next year?

do you know that gon's dad could be even farther from him at that point (after all this is the reason he entered and didn't give up).

and if it makes you feel any better, it's not like the show didn't make the characters involved. his friends were pissed at him as well, and hanzo. they couldn't get it.
Dec 27, 2015 1:23 PM

Dec 2015
This felt like cheating. I would have liked for Hanzo to win this match, he totally deserved it. Gon could have just fight another opponent.
Jan 6, 2016 5:13 PM

Jun 2015
lmao wtf was that.
Jan 28, 2016 6:41 AM

Sep 2014
IMO, Leorio and Kurapika shouldn't have been that mad at Hanzo, after all the guy did nothing wrong, they should've been mad at Gon for not surrendering, he was just too stubborn. The gap in their strength was as clear as day. Sure, not giving up is admirable (depending on the situation of course), but this was just a match where no lives needed to be lost, Gon was very close to losing his own if Hanzo wasn't this nice. What was even at stake, that Gon didn't give up? Him thinking that if he gets defeated here he won't see his father ever?

Hahaha the way the match ended, at the end Hanzo is just like "leave me alone already! I gave up, what else do you want!!?!?!"
Jun 2, 2016 10:53 AM
May 2012
Well....that was lame. I knew Hanzo will give up, though.
Jun 14, 2016 3:06 AM

Apr 2009
Wrong move Madhouse for putting some comedy on a serious atmosphere. 1/5

*sigh*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2016 9:56 PM

May 2014
I honestly just don't particularly love Gon as a main character. Maybe just because he's too generic and happy-go-lucky. Would love to see him develop and mature from here though. Kurapika is my fav right now. Also this episode was shit. I usually love tourneys, so I really hope the rest of the fights aren't this idiotic.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Oct 7, 2016 10:04 PM

Dec 2012
Had a feeling Leorio would have the less battles.

LMAO at Hisoka's face.

Gon was really something this episode. lol

Leorio looking like he was about to go SSJ at any moment.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Oct 7, 2016 11:37 PM

Jul 2012
Phenomanan said:
I honestly just don't particularly love Gon as a main character. Maybe just because he's too generic and happy-go-lucky. Would love to see him develop and mature from here though. Kurapika is my fav right now. Also this episode was shit. I usually love tourneys, so I really hope the rest of the fights aren't this idiotic.
just watch youtube videos of hxh fights they are the best. its later in the series though
Cty Best mid
Oct 8, 2016 7:59 AM

May 2014
Kurokokoy said:
Phenomanan said:
just watch youtube videos of hxh fights they are the best. its later in the series though

Don't worry I'm still watching the show haha and I'm much farther in. I definitely like Gon more now, and yes the fights kick ass. Kurapika's still my favorite character though ^_^
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Oct 12, 2016 3:45 PM

Jan 2014
Awhhh~ Killua's so cute when he's jealous! It's incredible knowing how well he develops as a character.
Lizzy_FizzOct 12, 2016 3:49 PM
Oct 21, 2016 1:59 PM

Jun 2016
Gonnnn, never gives up.
Is he a hunter now ? :0
Nov 10, 2016 11:33 AM
Nov 2016
Maybe it's something I didn't understand but I tought you couldn't have any weapon during the fight and Hanzo clearly pulls out a big knife to fight Gon. So he would have lost anyway.
Nov 10, 2016 3:05 PM

Oct 2013
gabmilot said:
Maybe it's something I didn't understand but I tought you couldn't have any weapon during the fight and Hanzo clearly pulls out a big knife to fight Gon. So he would have lost anyway.

Wasn't it the other way around? All weapons are permitted.... check it out again.
Nov 14, 2016 9:34 AM

Mar 2008
In other words, I've already given up on this match, but you want me to try to win again, while helping to determine a way to make you feel good about your victory!

Jesus christ, can Gon get any more unlikable?
Dec 7, 2016 10:49 AM

Sep 2016
Lol that was a funny episode.. but didn't expected gon to be this much useless in fights..
Jun 5, 2017 3:01 AM

Dec 2015
That persistent blockhead idiot xD
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 19, 2017 1:22 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
He stole his win, it's not even shounen at this point of plot armor

Oct 11, 2017 11:38 AM

Feb 2015
That Netero jumpscare o_o

Anyways, I was expecting Hanzo to be more friendly.. seems not. Ah, well. Looks like I didn't learn my lesson from Tonpa.
Nov 24, 2017 8:24 PM

May 2013
LOLOL when Netero screamed out XD

Poor Gon ^^'

Aw, Killua D: he's a bit of the type that's like "they want you to do well, but not better than them" :(
Kokoro_KotashimaNov 24, 2017 8:27 PM
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 24, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.