Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 18, 2012 8:57 PM

Jul 2010
Homolust said:
PLOT x PLOT

Oh god that examiner..

so hot

well atleast its better than what i heard for the manga
hiatus x hiatus

Feb 14, 2012 8:09 PM

Oct 2011
Y DID THEY TAKE THE SUSHI PART OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It was so funny :(.but it was still a 5/5^^
Apr 24, 2012 10:09 AM

Jul 2009
Shame they didn't include the sushi part and Menchi just reminded me of Lucy the whole time since the voice wasn't even an attempt to be different O_o
Jun 3, 2012 11:24 AM

Jan 2011
Disappointed that the sushi part was cut. Still enjoyed it very much so. Menchi is cool. It seems like changing the hair color of a character changes the anime entirely. It's a bit annoying.
Jun 24, 2012 6:03 PM

Mar 2007
Was upset that there was no sushi part, but still a really good episode.

supermegasonic said:
Homolust said:
PLOT x PLOT

Oh god that examiner..

so hot

well atleast its better than what i heard for the manga
hiatus x hiatus

*lol* Hopefully there's no more of that. Would like to see this series keep going.
Jul 1, 2012 12:52 PM

Nov 2010
Just watched the original episode on this, and I'll just be in the group with those people who are a bit sad the sushi bit was not included in the remake!
Jul 11, 2012 4:08 PM

Jun 2009
I found this kind of dull in the original anime, so I'm glad it was trimmed so much. It seems I'm one of the few...
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 22, 2013 4:44 PM

Jan 2012
first episode i didnt really like, because i found the second phase boring. had nothing to do with capability, really. just a random and questionable way to round down contestants (logic: "i cant wait for the updraft... so let me just fall to my death right now!). how did more people die in this round than the 30 people who dropped out from running 70km through that cave?

funniest moment was when that first dude just jumped into the ravine without checking for wind lol
Feb 22, 2013 4:50 PM

Feb 2012
neenalie said:
first episode i didnt really like, because i found the second phase boring. had nothing to do with capability, really. just a random and questionable way to round down contestants (logic: "i cant wait for the updraft... so let me just fall to my death right now!). how did more people die in this round than the 30 people who dropped out from running 70km through that cave?

funniest moment was when that first dude just jumped into the ravine without checking for wind lol

Yeah, episode 6 is one of the weakest.

Keep watching, it gets a lot better.
May 26, 2013 5:36 PM

Dec 2012
What? no sushi part?
Jul 18, 2013 3:20 PM
Jul 2012
Man people need to stop hating on this episode already when people don't expect something already. This episode is great!
Lol at the results that the fat guy loves it while she hates it. Though the other exam is fair.
Haha at the guy thinking the air will go back up one more time.
I should try eggs now.
5/5
Nov 28, 2013 11:11 AM

Jul 2013
koroX said:
Only 42 applicants again. :) This is exciting!

The ED is pretty good.

Ugh.. you're making me want to rewatch the anime from scratch again. I've seen it too many times, and it's way too time consuming to burn through another 100+ episodes :'(
Dec 31, 2013 12:52 AM

Jul 2013
that girl examiner has.... a weird hairstyle... but that doesn't matter because boobs!

carnivorous pigs??? dayum

I guess that old-timer is a typical "the older, the stronger" dude... and also hes a pervert?? thats the most annoying grandpa archetype ever.

awesome episode tho
Jan 20, 2014 10:15 PM
Aug 2013
I actually preferred this part to the 99 version. this part i felt was a little slow in the original. In this version it was very fun! loving this remake. also menchi is hot
Five-MagicsJan 20, 2014 10:21 PM
Jan 20, 2014 10:17 PM
Aug 2013
insan3Spectre said:
I found this kind of dull in the original anime, so I'm glad it was trimmed so much. It seems I'm one of the few...

Nah. I agree with you. I found this part of the exam to be the weakest of the five because it was too long. it was two episodes. The remake made this less boring by cutting this part's time in half
Mar 27, 2014 9:01 PM

Aug 2013
cool episode
May 2, 2014 4:50 PM

Jul 2007
First time seeing Netero. The 2nd phaze of the exam is underway and combatants are not like the idea of cooking stuff lol. I bet Netero could jump down that ravine with out the need of the wind.

Again they cut out more stuff, the studio is trimming things quite a bit. Although i think i like this version slightly more, i remember this section being some what dragged on. So i like how its a bit more condensed and just gets to the point.

For anyone else that doesn't want to miss a beat I and if your a pure Hxh enthusiast and you want to see every peace of togashi's story, then i would either watch the old version or read the manga, specially the first chapters. The Hxh exam arc i believe was pretty much adapted perfectly from the manga, aside from censoring. It wasn't until the Heavens arena arc when they started omitting and changing lots of things.
ArtimesGamerMay 2, 2014 4:59 PM

May 2, 2014 5:09 PM

Jun 2009
Actually, that's not true. Apparently the first anime added a lot of filler. The tree part when Gon, Killua, and the others are speed walking through the tunnel, for example. Maybe some manga readers can clarify regarding which one is more faithful?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 3, 2014 2:21 AM

Feb 2014
They added the part of the Sap tree with Tonpa trolling, which altered the exposition, we only get Leorio's story through hallucination, while Kurapika's clan story is pushed back to episode 19-20 during the Ship Island filler. Rendering both stories more powerful in my opinion.

Meeting Leorio was also filler in the old anime.

This version trimmed the Sushi exam, and the comedy in it.
May 16, 2014 11:10 PM

Dec 2011
That one second Netero focused on Menchi's breasts, I loled!!! XD
Jun 16, 2014 3:11 AM

Nov 2011
Pretty interesting. "Surprising" is a good adjective for a cooking challenge in an action anime, but I liked it. While the fail-everyone thing was a bit much, the second half was rather interesting what with the crazy ravine jump for the gourmet eggs. It also gave some insight into a different type of Hunter.

I'm a tad disappointed that not one of them could cook, though. xD

Great episode overall.
Jun 24, 2014 11:57 PM

Jan 2013
Down to 42, another good episode.
Not one of them cooked a meal up to her standards. Which was surprising.
Jul 15, 2014 1:06 PM

Mar 2014
I'm loving it so far
Dec 17, 2014 3:36 PM

Aug 2013
Ahhh, poor dudes who jumped too soon. But I must admit, their death made me laugh out loud xD
I mean, what's more funny than a guy leaping in the dark full of confidence to ends up curshing on the floor? Look like something out of the Looney Tunes, except people dies.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 31, 2014 9:45 AM

May 2014
Menchi x Hanzo shipping anoyne?
And Hisoka was about to kill that lady xD.
Mar 16, 2015 12:55 PM

Jun 2014
I like it how the hunter exam is continuous, there are no breaks

I don't like this side of Gon's personality where he is willingly to help every other hunter applicant.

42 left, significant

Mar 16, 2015 8:00 PM

Jun 2009
This anime just keeps getting better.
Mar 26, 2015 1:44 PM

Mar 2015
The perv is strong with that old guy. But I dont blame him considering the way the gourmet hunter was dressed
Apr 23, 2015 7:25 AM

Feb 2014
People just casually die in this series.
Jun 22, 2015 12:29 PM

Aug 2011
With cooking programmes being my favourite thing to watch when I'm bored and the tv is on, this episode was a great one for me, hahah.
Jul 16, 2015 9:35 PM

Dec 2012
Hisoka was ready to lay the smackdown.

Kind of a lame test, but it did prove her point about gourmet hunters being no joke. Only the biggest retards or people who didn't even try failed.

Menchi is hot enough that it's all forgiven.
BanjaJul 16, 2015 9:38 PM
Aug 22, 2015 5:31 AM
Apr 2013
This episode was somewhat weak compared to the original series, which is lucky as otherwise I was about to get seriously addicted o_O
Actually I think I might be addicted anyway, I'm fighting the urge to watch more episodes....... xD
Aug 30, 2015 6:46 PM

Feb 2015
HiNT74 said:
This episode was somewhat weak compared to the original series, which is lucky as otherwise I was about to get seriously addicted o_O
Actually I think I might be addicted anyway, I'm fighting the urge to watch more episodes....... xD

agreed once again! :D
-----
and the nostagiatard subject of today is - sushi!
to be honest that was just a funny part of the show(hisoka making the same dish was just hilarious); absolutely NOTHING significant happened in that. and if it did, think - did any part of what M/H left out totally turn the initial and eventual plot around? think about it veterans. will it?

this episode was by far superior to '99 because the egg test lasted at least a bit more than the original, and i'm glad the sushi part was taken out because it would have just gotten in the way.
Aug 30, 2015 9:13 PM

Feb 2015
Keilis said:
fearthebeard85 said:

Dude honestly just stfu, if u don't like it then don't watch it. Just because it's about Hunter x Hunter doesn't mean u have to watch it (I only say that because people use the excuse of wanting to see the Chimera Ant Arc or because it is still Hunter x Hunter). Stuff got cut out I know but literally I think the only reason some people watch this is to nitpick at what changes. The original had stuff that wasn't in the manga, did u complain this much then to? I honestly feel this would get more appreciation if there wasn't already the previous anime. I don't care what anyone says, I have watched the old anime mutiple times and read the manga multiple times and I think this version is good but not better than the original. I'm sick of people who say they don't like this version but continue to watch just to bash it. I will continue watching and am so glad that they decided to reboot Hunter x Hunter.

1. We can't dislike something if we don't watch it. Once we do watch it, of course we can complain about it. Just 'cause we have dissenting opinions doesn't mean we can't state them. Why should only people who like the anime get to talk about it?

2. We're not watching it to nitpick; we're watching it to compare. It's not like we want it to fail. If we're watching the remake, it's because we love Hunter x Hunter and want it to succeed. Of course we'll make comparisons; the original existed, so why pretend it didn't?

3. The original had filler, but the filler felt very in-place, natural for the most part. There were some weaker fillers, but it definitely still felt like one package. Why would we complain about good filler, if it only adds to the anime?

4. The reason we complain is because the original anime showed us to what potential animators could achieve with the quality of content given, and then some. The new Hunter x Hunter couldn't achieve the potential the original could, even by alternative means. It also didn't succeed in staying true to the manga, which was what the makers claimed it would do.

I'm a big fan of the original anime, not so much the manga just 'cause of the average art. I really wanted the new anime to succeed, but it ultimately was a disappointment. An expected disappointment for me, but still I wanted it to fare well. I'm hoping it'll slow down a little once it reaches the point where the original ended.

lol i don't care if this is an old reply or not, but you sire, has some nostalgia issues. expecting a carbon copy of anime because of personal means and NOT because of the relevance to the plot (because, in case you haven't noticed, all the noobs here don't give a CRAP how "rushed" it is). it's only because of you. why don't you just admit that?
Jan 6, 2016 11:50 AM

Jun 2015
damn she's sexy, only 42 applicants left.
May 28, 2016 12:45 PM
Mar 2015
Light-Yagami-God said:

Yeah, Menchi is pretty bae. I swear girls that dress like that are pretty OP in fighting...
May 31, 2016 2:11 PM
May 2012
Vaiketime2025 said:
Light-Yagami-God said:

Yeah, Menchi is pretty bae. I swear girls that dress like that are pretty OP in fighting...

Yeah, I'll satisfy her...not with my cooking, though.
Jun 2, 2016 5:23 PM
May 2013
This anime is kinda slow. 6 episodes in, and only now is there a bland/annoying girl who is there so she can be annoying and have tits to look at, and of course she's gotta be the one judge who messes up and has to be talked to by her elder who stares at her breasts, and tells her that she's wrong. Most anime is sexist by episode 3.

Other than that, like the whole series, it's a pretty good episode, and I've liked everybody else. The one moment of the series that stands out for me so far is how we found out why the taller supporting character is obsessed with money. I feel so sorry for him.
---

I'm really into anime, but I don't have many people to talk about it with reguarly. So please, add me on AIM: Superrpgman2003 or Skype:Superrpgman. Or just send me a private message here.
Jun 2, 2016 5:25 PM
May 2013
Jet- said:
People just casually die in this series.

Mhm, it's how you know the dub isn't getting censored.
---

I'm really into anime, but I don't have many people to talk about it with reguarly. So please, add me on AIM: Superrpgman2003 or Skype:Superrpgman. Or just send me a private message here.
Jun 13, 2016 12:01 AM

Apr 2009
No more Sushi?

And everyone is saying that this is better than the 1999 series?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2016 10:38 AM

Mar 2016
I'm new to HxH; I mean, I gave it a chance because Yu Yu Hakusho is one of my favorite animes ever (Japanese only, though) and in early 2007, I checked out the manga but stopped upon realizing it was horribly incomplete. No point of even getting into it.

When I checked out the original anime shortly thereafter, I absolutely loathed it. So much filler, awkward pacing and I was done pretty quick. 6 episodes, I think I lasted.

I stumble across this new remake by total chance this weekend (total new news to me, 5+ years later) and this was actually the first episode I saw.

I really liked it and seemed typical Togashi. And then I got curious to check out the original series of this episode, and while I can get some people's anger at not including sushi; that part in the original is a great example of poor pacing.

The Shakespeare quote of "Brevity is the soul of wit" comes to mind. This episode conveyed the same information quicker with the same impact in my eyes, with a lot less exposition to boot, which I recall being everywhere in the 99 episode. Also, how convenient loud ninja guy lets loose what sushi is; if that didn't happen...? How would the story progress? Lazy plot conveniences, in my mind.

The Sushi thing of having to thoroughly analyze surroundings is clever, but very, very unrealistic. Even a top tier chef couldn't just whip up a perfect dish of something they've never heard on, even cuing on every little detail. I get it was supposed to be unfair, but then it's also not a valid test of observation.

That same theme of "I'm having you COOK", meaning, prepare, make tasty, visually appealing and all that, is still included in this version. And yet so many people just opted to throw a pig on a spic and serve it, and superficially at best, maybe decorate around it.
Same point; her point went right over their heads and to quote her, "They weren't taking it seriously," both her test and her title.

It still works for me without dragging down the pacing.

Haven't read the manga, but I can imagine the whole sushi part works better in book form, because the 99 anime version (as usual with it) was quite boring.

And in response to someone's comment about the pig apple bit; I don't recall the apple killing it, as much as stunning it; tipping Gon off to its weakness. When I watched the original series, Gon just attacks there and got lucky. How did he know? Sure was lucky of him to hit that tiny spot that happened to be their weak point. And if he could stumble onto it luckily, why couldn't everyone else?
The 99 version isn't as perfect as everyone makes it out. Far from. So, again, I prefer this new version there as well.
CrimsonCWJul 5, 2016 10:45 AM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Oct 4, 2016 1:23 AM

Dec 2012
Lol at the 1st page mentioning Aya Hirano.

Menchi.

NTR is here.

lol at NTR checking out Menchi's oppai.

LMAO at the 1st dude who fell because he didnt wait for the wind.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Oct 14, 2016 9:35 AM

Jun 2016
You can't satisfy Gourmet hunters ofc, they are the best in cooking and collecting unique eating stuff.
Oct 22, 2016 5:32 AM

Jun 2015
The worst episode until now, but I'm really curious about this series. I'll keep watching.

Nov 23, 2016 12:41 AM

Apr 2013
Felt like I was watching an obscure episode of Masterchef with the girl being Gordon Ramsey haha
Nov 29, 2016 9:49 AM
Oct 2016
They cut out the sushi test so I was starting to think it was filler but apparently it was in the manga...

Like I can understand cutting out filler from the old anime but I don't get why they would cut out so many things from the manga because it only leads to them catching up to the manga faster and in some cases can cut out some important stuff, I was already annoyed enough that they cut out Gon meeting Kite at the beginning.

Overall I'm liking the animation, music and voice work so far (some of the voices sound very very close to what they sounded like in the 1999 anime, especially Gon and Leorio)
Dec 22, 2016 8:52 PM

May 2009
Avato-chan said:
Y DID THEY TAKE THE SUSHI PART OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It was so funny :(.but it was still a 5/5^^

This. Hisoka's sushi was the best
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jan 16, 2017 7:00 PM

Jun 2016
The weakest episode so far, but still alright. Menchi reminds me of Erina from Food Wars with her discerning tastes and more discerning, uh, plot.
Sep 2, 2017 4:41 AM

May 2016
This episode was like TORIKOOOOOOO
Nov 22, 2017 11:05 PM

May 2013
I thought something was missing til I read the forums and ppl reminded me of the sushi part lol X)

It's too bad everyone relied on Gon's intuition to catch the draft :3 I only want Gon's friends to benefit x'D oh whales.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Anisamar - Oct 10, 2011

135 by WienGirl »»
Yesterday, 4:01 AM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

47 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.