Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Delicious in Dungeon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 6, 6:59 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting background story about Sensei, even though it wasn't a pleasant one, at least for his party. He used to be part of a mining team until one day, their party got attacked by a monster. I love how he has support from his new friends now.

The idea of the griffin soup was also interesting although it's pretty much a common norm in this show now.
Jun 6, 6:59 AM

Dec 2021
Teared up a bit seeing Senshi's relief.

Why is Senshi living in the dungeon and researching monster cuisine? His past holds the key. As a young man, Senshi was part of a mining group that stumbled upon a dungeon while exploring ancient ruins. They became hopelessly lost in its depths, and with their food supplies dwindling, they faced a dire situation. The group was eventually attacked by a giant bird monster, which picked them off one by one.

I love Senshi's Sanji-like backstory with a twist, and Lait's innocence helped him overcome his regrets. Senshi's past is pretty dark with starvation, betrayal, and imprisonment, so it's amazing how well-adjusted and enthusiastic he is about exploring the dungeon. But setting that aside, this race swap has surpassed all my expectations. Effeminate elf-Senshi is just fantastic, and Marcille looks adorable, but the ultimate winner is Senshi with his FABULOUS face. I mean, JUST LOOK AT THIS MAN.

But alas, all good things must come to an end, and sadly, this does end next week... very sad :(

Jun 6, 7:00 AM

May 2020
To think there was a time when that signature helmet didn’t used to be a part of Senshi’s attire. Though jokes aside, we knew Senshi did have it rough somewhere back in the past, and that backstory, which was practically a combination of a lot of bad luck playing at the same time, was exactly that one trip down the memory lane no one would want to recall. That one experience horrified him for the rest of his life.. that Senshi who doesn’t bat an eye even while slicing the most dangerous of monsters with his knife.

You can guess how deep the trauma was, but hey, once in a while Laios and his ideas could actually help someone out. Glad he understood whatever he ate back then wasn’t one of his comrades, but was a Hippogriff, not even Griffin lol. I mean we love to say them bonding even more than ever. Though the second half was one of my favourite parts… the ultimate what-if lol. Chilchuck and Marcille won this one though… or more like came second after Senshi. He's looking more elven than the actual elf Marcille lol.

We're still almost half-way, so there can't be a conclusive end next week. But this has been a journey.
Softhenic03Jun 6, 7:08 AM
Jun 6, 7:46 AM

Mar 2021
It was really shocking to learn about Senshi's past poor man has gone through so much thankfully he now has friends that care deeply about him.
Jun 6, 7:48 AM

Jun 2021
Senshi's backstory part was absolute masterpiece. One of my favourite so far. And thanks to changeling now everyone can understand how difficult it is to live as a different race. Another unique experience for our group I guess.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Jun 6, 8:10 AM

Jul 2017
Senshi's backstory is quite the horror, from an underground golden city to an infighting against his own people fighting against a griffin, to eventually being left alone by himself, learning how to survive within the confines of the dungeon. Even against the orcs which captured him, and eventually gave him a place within their ranks, it's a hard reality for someone who lived within the dungeon and not come up to the surface. That's why he's been afraid of the Griffin...which Laios just wants to eat more of the monster, even if it meant resurfacing Senshi's trauma. Alongside the poisonous Changeling mushrooms, Senshi's guardian Gilin actually meant good for him, and the food however that he ate before, is a hippogriff, rather than a griffin.

And luck would have it when the blue mushrooms are also a key to figuring out that it's actually a hippogriff that they killed, despite triggering Senshi's trauma all over again, he has a sense of renewal this time together with the gang. And those same Changeling mushrooms...turned everyone into differnent bodies since they were coincidentially within that same circle. More Senshi fanservice being a beautiful man elf with the likes of Marcille, and their "new" forms aren't inconvenient on the way to the Winged Lion's chambers...only to be thwarted by gargoyles of all monsters, leaving Laios as a dwarf to lead everyone to safety. And even as a handsome elf, Senshi can also make food, but with everyone's contributions to make boiled hippogriff dumplings.

Too bad that everyone still needs to find a way to turn back to normal...

We're only halfway through the entire manga, and I hope there's an announcement for another 2-cour's worth to finish the 2nd half of the manga.
Jun 6, 8:21 AM

Jul 2011
Well, wasn't dwarf meat.

Seeing that Elf Senshi have a magic breeze to make the hair flow, where the standard elf don't have, apparently. That means normally, Senshi is the epitome of dwarf.
Jun 6, 8:36 AM

Jul 2016
The fact that Laios' borderline deranged obsession with monsters ended up being instrumental in helping Senshi heal from his trauma instead of being massively as insensitive as you'd first expect is a thing of beauty.

Also, Elf-Senshi singlehandedly making them go from "I could maybe get used to this body" to "...Let's revert back. ASAP." had me dying
Jun 6, 8:39 AM

Sep 2016
I'm glad Senshi was finally able to lay those woes to rest.
Jun 6, 8:41 AM
Feb 2020
Noticed weirdly there was a lot more credits in the OP and realized cuz they skipped the ED.Even the episode itself was 28 min,4 min extra than usual.Glad they got the time to do what they need to.

So happy Senshi got a closure to his trauma after all this time.Thought they wouldve said him trying to recreate the taste was why he studied dungeon food for so long.
Jun 6, 8:46 AM

Mar 2017
Actually quite liked how the cannibalism drama was handled. Initially making the food taste different so the story wouldn't come off as playing safe, then actually making it not be dwarf meat after all. That said, it is kinda disappointing how it really wasn't cannibalism considering the show does tend to get dark at times.
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Jun 6, 9:04 AM

Oct 2017
Laios being the GOAT that he is. Poor Senshi was traumatised for so long but he can finally rest easy now. Look how much he changed thanks to that. Became an elf even lmao. Was hilarious watching everyone's race change. Senshi specially, wtf was he even doing. Watching Izutsumi had me rolling.
Jun 6, 9:44 AM

Jan 2009
the sad backstory of senshi is finally here

and yep the dungeon boost desires

the changeling is the mvp of this episode though

laois as a dwarf is a good cook too now
Jun 6, 9:57 AM

Apr 2022
I was not ready for Elfen Senshi, but I vote Izutsumi should stay as a Kobold.
Jun 6, 11:05 AM
Jan 2024
A great poetic episode
Jun 6, 11:43 AM

Feb 2010
Living for the body swap. Sad we only have one more episode left.
Jun 6, 11:45 AM
Aug 2020
another great episode

he didn't ate his nakama...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jun 6, 12:09 PM

Nov 2020
Maybe I don't understand something, but aren't these mushrooms the perfect solution to Marcille's problem? in a sense, she could use them to turn into a human, it's a pity she didn't think about it at all "oh, I'm a halfling now and I won't outlive my loved ones" xD
5/5
Jun 6, 12:18 PM

Apr 2013
I loved this episode, I damn near teared up at Senshi's past, this dwarf tried his best and he deserves the world's best cooking ingredients damn it!

Then everyone changing I just laughed so much, it was the perfect light-hearted content that this episode needed. This anime is so good, with such a great story and animation. Only one episode left, I hope they announce a second season soon.

btw, those hairy dumblings would go straight back to izutsumi's plate, I was side-eyeing them the whole time.
KoSparrowsJun 6, 12:53 PM
Jun 6, 12:46 PM

Jan 2008
So we now get to see Senshi's past which explains the reason for his PTSD, losing members of his old crew one after another until he was the last survivor...and even forced to eat their loyal horse. I can see why Senshi got so attached to Anne the Kelpie now, even naming her the same name as his old horse. I wasn't expecting the illusion of a sexy dwarf woman though. And shit got reeeally dark near the latter end of Senshi's tale...until the reveal later in the episode.

Senshi is a lot smarter than just being the foody-obsessed guy he normally is (due to his past), having studied and decoded ancient dwarvish runes in his youth (age 36) practically still a young lad in Dwarven years.

I see the adamantite shield Senshi picked up is likely the wok he currently carries, as it's the same size. Since two of his old mining crew members had shields, that would explain why he has both the wok and lid, if he modified them out of the two shields...as well as where he got his iconic helmet from his mining party leader, Gillian; who was an honorable man.

Different cuts of meat on the same will taste different, so it's likely doubly so for hybrid animals.

Senshi finally got the answer he's always been looking for in his quest to find "that" flavor again thanks to Laios--who REALLY demonstrated his 2nd-to-none expertise and extensive knowledge of monsters here. He eventually figured out what attacked Senshi's crew and what the purple Changling mushrooms are after the process of elimination and deductive reasoning. Nobody else would have realized it unless they had his prior knowledge or skills. I wonder how far Changling mushrooms go, whether it is just the muscles/appearances, or down to the cellular level and even DNA.

Laios bringing up the folktale from Chilchuck's neck of the woods about children coming back home as monstrous trolls, and the fact that only recently they learned it was due to the Changling mushrooms...it's quite terrifying to think about what happened to those now "trolls" with that illustration of a child being pushed into a fire. It's like the super dark fairytales of old.

After unintentionally stepping into a Changling ring, Laios turned into a dwarf, Marcille a half-foot, Senshi...lol, an elf, and a fabulous one at that. Chilchuk into a tall-man with a 5 o'clock shadow...so that's what he would look like if he were a normal human. Really emphasizes that he's actually a middle-aged old man in half-foot years. It's like they played musical chairs with their races. And Itsuzumi is still cute even as a kobold, and her doggo traits.

Laios as a dwarf is quite strong if he can bend those bars. Maybe even stronger than Senshi. I suppose it shows how fit he is as a tall-man. And when push comes to shove, only dwarf Laios is of any use in the fight...like the one kid in the group project doing everything.

Since Laios threw Shuro's bell (from ep 17) to make Itsuzumi play fetch, does that mean Shuro or his people are coming back for them now?

Oh...no ED theme this week? The episode was 28 mins long including the OP theme. Not that I mind; I think Senshi revealing his backstory was more important anyway. By far, this was one of the most serious episodes in the first half, yet also the funniest of episodes in the latter half.

Wait...it's already the last episode next week!? Damnit...I hope there's another season.
Estoy_GordoJun 6, 1:12 PM
Jun 6, 1:22 PM

Jun 2022
I was not ready for this lore drop. I am curious what are they going to do for the last ep - I can see this being a longer anime, the way things stand now. Also the race-swap is interesting, but i cannot see the characters being this different after 22 episodes. Lets wait and see, I guess.
"I drop kicked that child in self-defence"
- Technoblade
Jun 6, 1:49 PM
May 2021
This ep was soo good!! Anime is so great man! Hahah tok funny the body swaps!
Jun 6, 2:34 PM

May 2018
So this author loves ridiculous transformations and paradigm shift stories, isn't she?
Jun 6, 3:17 PM
Apr 2015
I friking loved it and Senshin Elf is TOP
Jun 6, 3:23 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Senshi’s backstory was pretty much what I expected, figured his whole group would get done in by the griffin, or I guess I should say hippogriff with the reveal later on. And honestly I really thought that he ate his buddy there but I’m glad that was proven false, Laios came in clutch there, tho it did take me a bit to wrap my head around those mushrooms and how they turned one kind of meat into another lol. And I really liked the scene where Senshi finally got to taste that soup again, that’s probably the most emotion we’ve seen from the man, he may have lost his companions from long ago but he’s got a new group he belongs to now.

And then came pure goofiness when the gang transformed into different races since they happened to step right into the mushrooms they just mentioned were dangerous, but I gotta say I’m not against this development because there’s already been plenty of hilarity, and I already know I’m gonna be seeing fanart of mini-Marcille lol. But these new forms aren’t just goofy, along with them comes inconveniences that none of them are used to which made that fight with the gargoyles a bad time, it was wholesome seeing the weird gang make dumplings afterward but will they manage to transform back with just one episode left is the question, it really doesn’t feel like we’re at the end but maybe the finale will be satisfying enough.
Jun 6, 3:37 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Really enjoyed getting to learn more about Senshi’s backstory and then watching them all swap bodies was hilarious 😆 what a great episode. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for next weeks episode
Jun 6, 4:16 PM

Sep 2017
Huh this ep ended up being quite a bit longer than normal randomly. Pretty dark backstory for Senshi but it had a happy resolution I suppose. And then we move into the goofiest shit with the race swap. Smol Marcille is v cute. but tall-man Chilchuck is such a vibe.
Jun 6, 4:28 PM

Dec 2022
two great halves makes one great ep! music top notch as always
that race swap stuff is 1st tier comedy man, racial humor done right
Jun 6, 4:42 PM
Jul 2014
Odd time to do a race swap with only one episode left, unless MAL is wrong about that. Fun episode though.
Jun 6, 6:23 PM

Jul 2022
I cried at Senshi's backstory. It's a relief that what he ate was hippogriff meat. Laios is very clever and intelligent when it comes to strategy, but he's an idiot in emotional moments, haha.

Once again giving us Senshi fanservice, and this time in elf mode. Although, the transformation I liked the most was tiny Marcille.
Jun 6, 7:14 PM
Nov 2019
Laios is honestly a god damn genius. Managed to figure out everything about the Griffin/Hippograth and the mushrooms just from hearing Senshi's backstory.

Also, don't know how else to describe it but human Chillchuck reminds me of adult Timmy Turner.
Jun 6, 7:20 PM

Nov 2023
There's only one episode left in the season, i wonder how they'll conclude it.
I really enjoyed the episode, Senshi's backstory was truly dramatic. I love the race swap, Marcille as a half-foot is just too cute.

Jun 6, 7:26 PM

Nov 2023
Reply to AnimeNerd99
Laios is honestly a god damn genius. Managed to figure out everything about the Griffin/Hippograth and the mushrooms just from hearing Senshi's backstory.

Also, don't know how else to describe it but human Chillchuck reminds me of adult Timmy Turner.
@AnimeNerd99 AHAHAHA, he looks exactly like Timmy.
Jun 6, 7:27 PM
Mar 2015
Our bois are changed by the mushrooms
Jun 6, 7:52 PM

Apr 2008
Izutsumi's dumplings having dog hairs in them 😂and elf senshi was too much.
Jun 6, 8:00 PM

Aug 2017
Loved this episode! It was so good to know more about Senshi past (I also cried about it), and the swapping of bodies was something I really liked (Senshi Elf was incredible, saying he can't carry weight.

I'm just really curious how will end the story in the last one episode, or if they even will end and doesn't would go to another season.
Jun 6, 8:32 PM

Oct 2022
Senshi must've been relieved. Trust Laios with any monster related issue.
Elf Senshi looks like Shakespeare lol. They should stay like that and meet the people they know.
UndefeatedBahamut
Jun 6, 9:33 PM
Aug 2013
it's important while making soups, especially with meat, to skim the gunk off the top. it usually looks like a foamy mess of stuff. it doesn't really hurt anything but the texture is a little weird and it makes the soup more cloudy but not a necessity. i love senshi
Jun 6, 9:41 PM

Oct 2022
Senshi has had one heck of a glow up!
Jun 6, 10:26 PM

Jun 2015
Interesting to see the golden pillars degraded compared to senshi's story. That and the camp fire. Maybe many other adventurers made it that far before.

Jun 6, 11:27 PM

Nov 2023
Laios helping Senshi realize he didn't eat dwarf meat was such a great moment. Top tier.

The race swap is pretty cool with Dwarven Laios, Elven Senshi, and the rest of them, but we only have one episode left, so we won't get to see a lot of that, unfortunately.
Jun 6, 11:52 PM

Nov 2022
Count Dracula version of Senshi, he looks like a vampire, and a very parched one lol.
Jun 7, 12:10 AM

May 2011
Senshi'nin hikâyesi bayağı dram yüklüydü. Ama sonrası acayip matraktı ya >_< Senshi'nin havalara bak.

Senshi's story was pretty sad. But what happened next was so funny >_< Look at Senshi's mood.
Jun 7, 12:19 AM

Mar 2011
Best episode yet.
Senshi as an elf is hngggg
Jun 7, 1:04 AM

Mar 2008
This episode was great. No idea how it switched fairly seamlessly from a serious sad backstory that had me tear up to laughing at everyone turning into a different race especially sexy elf Senshi xD Marcile is so cute looking as a half foot.
Jun 7, 2:22 AM
Apr 2021
Ok guys we gotta give Laios his credit when it comes to knowing about monsters and shit bc this man is a GENIUS when it comes to monster biology and shit bro managed to figure out that Senshi ate a hippogriff and not the regular griffin props to him ong👏🏽👏🏽

Poor Senshi man that man wen through such a tragic situation all bc his companions got a lil too greedy with wanting to explore the ruins buts it’s not their fault entirely none of them knew that what they entered was a dungeon but damn it’s a shame that they died one by one + I thought that one dude with the helmet killed his companion and feed Senshi the remains to keep Senshi from starving but I guess that’s not what happened thankfully😭🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

And NOOOOOOOOO there’s only one more episode left man these have been the BEST 24 weeks ever man I’ll forever miss this show when it’s over🥲🥲☹️🥹
Jun 7, 2:50 AM

Feb 2014
Senshi's backstory was what I expected it to be and even then, it still hits pretty hard. Seeing his fellow Dwarves getting picked off one by one by the enemy must've been hell for him, but at least he was able to survive and carry on. Thanks to Laios and his high IQ solution, he was able to confirm that Senshi was attacked in the past by a Hippogriff, not a Griffin. Because of this, at least it confirms that Senshi didn't eat his own kind back then and he now finally has closure on that part of his life.

The latter half of the episode was full of funny moments thanks to the group accidentally stepping into a ring of changeling mushrooms. Thanks to this, everyone swapped races and the results were hilarious! Elf Senshi was the main highlight and goddamn, he looks beautiful! XD

Sadly, there's only one episode left, so who knows how the group's situation will be solved, as well as the main goal of rescuing Falin and defeating the mad mage. Hopefully this show has been popular enough to warrant another season...
Jun 7, 4:00 AM

Sep 2013
Reply to KANLen09
Senshi's backstory is quite the horror, from an underground golden city to an infighting against his own people fighting against a griffin, to eventually being left alone by himself, learning how to survive within the confines of the dungeon. Even against the orcs which captured him, and eventually gave him a place within their ranks, it's a hard reality for someone who lived within the dungeon and not come up to the surface. That's why he's been afraid of the Griffin...which Laios just wants to eat more of the monster, even if it meant resurfacing Senshi's trauma. Alongside the poisonous Changeling mushrooms, Senshi's guardian Gilin actually meant good for him, and the food however that he ate before, is a hippogriff, rather than a griffin.

And luck would have it when the blue mushrooms are also a key to figuring out that it's actually a hippogriff that they killed, despite triggering Senshi's trauma all over again, he has a sense of renewal this time together with the gang. And those same Changeling mushrooms...turned everyone into differnent bodies since they were coincidentially within that same circle. More Senshi fanservice being a beautiful man elf with the likes of Marcille, and their "new" forms aren't inconvenient on the way to the Winged Lion's chambers...only to be thwarted by gargoyles of all monsters, leaving Laios as a dwarf to lead everyone to safety. And even as a handsome elf, Senshi can also make food, but with everyone's contributions to make boiled hippogriff dumplings.

Too bad that everyone still needs to find a way to turn back to normal...

We're only halfway through the entire manga, and I hope there's an announcement for another 2-cour's worth to finish the 2nd half of the manga.
KANLen09 said:

Nice, came here just to see if anyone said something like this. It just hit me it was about to end and didn't feel ready to end at all.
Jun 7, 6:04 AM

Dec 2022
Izutsumi face Is so priceless I just love how goofy she looks now xD It gets me every time I go back to It.
Jun 7, 6:28 AM

Oct 2022
Its hilarious that on every episode before this I heard people calling Senshi sexy and then they actually did it.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon Meshi Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13

149 by yveltalkyogre »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Dungeon Meshi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 11

162 by GT1Studios »»
Today, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Best girl poll (anime spoilers)

Tigrrr111 - Jun 17

23 by alshu »»
Yesterday, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Dungeon Meshi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 25

115 by dyegreenluke »»
Yesterday, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Dungeon Meshi Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 9

88 by Weebabu »»
Jun 22, 9:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.