Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Witch and the Beast
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 8, 8:57 AM

Nov 2011
This episode just goes to show how selfish that Necromancer is. They can't move on from the past and instead try to revive their important person, regardless who they choose.

Again though, I believe this is part of the show's themes where characters are their own worst enemies. Show is still very narrative driven but the character study is also kinda interesting.
Feb 8, 9:30 AM

Dec 2021
Pretty intense and exciting battle this episode ngl.

Phanora and the injured Johan were welcomed into a mansion, where they confront a Necromancer. The Necromancer, who had lost someone dear to him in the past, has been creating numerous undead creatures in attempts to revive them. Now, he expresses his desire to use Phanora as a component for his resurrection experiment. Phanora explodes with indignation at his selfish intentions and unleashes her power. Thus begins the intense battle between Phanora and the Necromancer.

I guess I hit the nail on the head last week, although Phanora being a witch was totally unexpected. But other than that curveball, I was pretty much on target. Despite the limitations, I thought Johan might already be undead, so that threw me off. But seeing Phanora's powers was a pleasant surprise. It just shows that some things don't always go as planned. I'm really rooting for these two to be together. Hopefully, we'll get to see more of them in the future, maybe even teaming up with Ashaf and Guideau on upcoming cases.

I really hope we learn more about these two in the future, especially Phanora.
IzanaSolosFeb 8, 3:56 PM

Feb 8, 9:44 AM

Apr 2016
I do share the sentiment of enjoying the second team and the world building more rather than the main characters ... i dont know, the second duo seem more sympathetic (less cringe too).

The whole necro thing also helps, was nice to see the explanation of what happens to the soul in this world ... or don't, when the necromancy is involved.
Feb 8, 10:43 AM

Feb 2021
Going into the void with just your consciousness and literally nothing else for eternity sounds horrifying
This was hella cool. A really satisfying conclusion. I really like Phanora and Johan now.
Gotta feel bad for the cop and his fiancée though, now that they know what will happen to her after her second death...
Feb 8, 11:23 AM
Sep 2015
This hybrid witch/necromancer and her partner have potential to be leading protagonists. In fact, they remind me of a leading couple from Undead Girl Murder Farce.
Feb 8, 12:10 PM
Jul 2015
Damn, I shouldn't have praised it right before they introduce one of the most comically stupid villains (and give a dumb lecture about souls that doesn't make any sense), but whatever ...
Feb 8, 12:58 PM
Jul 2021
very satisfied with this episode - I could nitpick things but I don't want to because I am admittedly too busy shamelessly simping over Phanora - they did her characterisation right and that's really all that matters to me this week. I'd give up my soul if she, the deathly polite ice queen, asked me to.
I chased fame, fortune and CANDY during MALoween 23

Main :

Bonus:
Feb 8, 1:22 PM
Mar 2021
really great episode. phanora is awesome
Feb 8, 1:27 PM

Feb 2019
Man learning about what happens to strays’ souls after the necro spell wears off is horrible. Last week I said it was morally grey, but it’s not even in doubt anymore. Bringing people back to life is a purely selfish choice for the living person. The necromancer got exactly what he deserved. Very satisfying episode.

Things went about as I expected with Phanora pretending to be captured and Johan playing the bait. But Phanora’s big reveal as a witch was surprising as hell. I knew she had a trick up her sleeve, but didn’t know she had THAT. Her abilities are so scary, she’s extremely powerful but what’s more is that she totally changes how I looked at witches in this series. We’ve kinda been made to think they’re all bad, but apparently there’s good ones too.

I’m assuming Guideau already knows she’s a witch too since they’re part of the same org? Haven’t seen them on screen together yet to be 100 percent sure

The look on the necromancer face when he realised he fucked up by capturing literally the two worst possible people 😂 man Hayamin’s voice during Phanora reveal was so good. Very bloody ending to those negotiations as well.

Making the necromancer maintain all the people he’s revived as well as basically making his reunion with his beloved impossible is a perfect ending to this mini arc. She might not act like it at times, but Phanora clearly cares a lot for Johan and while she may abuse him, she’s not gonna let anyone else do it lol.

I hope we get to see more of them. They reminded me a lot of Tsuguru and Aya from undead girl as does the series in general tbf.
Marinate1016Feb 8, 1:52 PM
Feb 8, 1:58 PM

Apr 2008
I wonder how resurrection works mechanically and temporally. If the guy's wife has been dead for decades and he resurrects her, her soul is pulled out of the reincarnation cycle, ok that makes sense. But what if her soul already got reincarnated into a new body by then? How would she be resurrected and how would that affect the newborn person? I guess the same question applies to resurrecting anyone who's super old, or buried skeletons.

Feb 8, 1:59 PM

Jan 2015
Phanaora was so goddamn cool this episode. Angry with those cold-hearted eyes.
Feb 8, 2:19 PM

Nov 2011
That ended kinda fluffy, Johan has Stokholm's syndrome?
Feb 8, 2:36 PM

Nov 2012
Reply to Swagernator
I do share the sentiment of enjoying the second team and the world building more rather than the main characters ... i dont know, the second duo seem more sympathetic (less cringe too).

The whole necro thing also helps, was nice to see the explanation of what happens to the soul in this world ... or don't, when the necromancy is involved.
@Swagernator I agree. Team 2's intro and story was interesting from the start. Plus, they were more of a team unlike the mains. And, for me, the voice acting was better.
Feb 8, 3:34 PM

Nov 2019
I wasn't at all surprised to see who Phanora's voice actress is. Perfection. I hope we see a lot more of her.
Feb 8, 3:36 PM

Sep 2018
Damn, he really skinned that dude lol, wasn't expecting such brutality this episode. Better than most of the other episodes, I can see this constantly growing on me with more elements to the story introduced every week.
Feb 8, 3:45 PM

Sep 2023
Curios what Guideau will do when he will find out that witch works for The Order of Magical Resonance too.
Feb 8, 4:05 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
This episode was a nice get away like a vacation before we go back to the main characters of the show. It was refreshing that they went and showed a different set of characters and I’m assuming next week will be back to the normal main cast. Looking forward to next weeks episode
Feb 8, 4:12 PM

Sep 2023
As expected Johan was undead and Phanora a necromancer but I certainly did not expect her to be a witch! Especially since she is in the org! Do they know she is a witch? Probably not right? This second duo is really interesting, I wonder how the episodes will split between the two going forward.
Feb 8, 5:10 PM

May 2019
Yeah I recall some posters predicting that Johan was undead and that turned out to be true but what was surprising was Phanora being a witch! While the Necromancer ended up being a dumb arrogant villain it still felt satisfying to watch him utterly fail in his plans and be severely overmatched.

On a side note I'm curious if Guideau knows if Phanora is a witch, I doubt that he does otherwise I would think she would've undone his curse.
Feb 8, 5:13 PM

Apr 2022
johan demolished, gas duo with phanora. welp, i thought they finally stopped trying to imitate manga panels in the last episode but they went crazy in this one.
Feb 8, 5:14 PM

Dec 2018
oh my god, that was so brutal. i can feel for the bad guy but he seriously got carried away. the idea of being lost to the void is awful, and now he got his penance i guess.
Feb 8, 5:37 PM
Jan 2017
Reply to Dickegrobe
Damn, I shouldn't have praised it right before they introduce one of the most comically stupid villains (and give a dumb lecture about souls that doesn't make any sense), but whatever ...

I am curious. Considering that death and souls are some of the great mysteries, what doesn't make sense to you about the stories explanation?
Feb 8, 5:43 PM

Nov 2023
This was an awesome episode.

It was pretty brutal, not gonna lie, but the necromancer had it coming to him.

The world-building was great, as we learned about how resurrection works and what the human soul goes through.

I didn't expect Phanora to be a witch and Johan to be an undead, but it fits the dynamic.
Feb 8, 7:33 PM

Nov 2010
  • The animation looked cheap. The show was like a picture book sometimes. It was stressed by adding the scroll around the window frame.
  • Also it's unclear how the protagonist punished the criminal.
Feb 8, 7:44 PM

Jul 2021
Very interesting lore, exciting undead horror, attractive characters.

If only the animation was of higher quality. I wish the undead vs. undead battle and the necromancer's fate were drawn and animated a lot crazier and nastier to really sell this dark, dark story, but then I guess they would have to contend with the ratings board (?) too.
Feb 8, 7:54 PM

Apr 2015
Well this episode is the definition of satisfying. It wasn't particularly original when it came to the storyline and the villain was incredibly ugly and despicable, but it sure was enjoyable to watch. Phanora doubling as a necromancer and a witch threw me off, but my guess of Johan already being undead is correct. Wish the animation was better when she called her undead servants, but it was still pretty chilling to watch. I'm glad she's giving the villain the punishment he deserves. I'm guessing we'll switch back to the main duo in the next episode, which is a shame considering I like these two and their chemistry much more.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Feb 8, 7:58 PM

Jul 2008
necromancy really is horrifying, they are damned forever.

The guy was truly despicable.....and oh crap shes a witch.
Feb 8, 8:11 PM

Oct 2019
Two episodes without the two MCs..
I strongly suspect Ashaf and co keep the existence of Phanora
a secret from Guideau, despite being in the same team..
Feb 8, 10:49 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
As I commented last episode, I'm looking forward to how Phanora and Johan would interact with the MC duo. Knowing that Phanora is a witch, it'd be very interesting to see what happens if Guideau finds out.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Feb 8, 11:09 PM

May 2018
I didn't know if I was really feeling the anime until this episode, but now I can get into it. I hope they keep it up!
can't yuck my yum

Feb 8, 11:43 PM
Dec 2023
Usually I dislike spin-offs with different MCs, but in this case I would`ve like to get separate series for this couple
Feb 9, 12:23 AM

Jul 2017
Necromancy is such a taboo topic, this has now happened to Phanora and Jeff, who were welcomed by The Necromancer into his mansion, it's full of undead in their various states. Especially for Jeff's dead fiancée who was unnecessarily raised to life due to necromancy, the Necromancer tried to do the same with his dead wife, but all he desires only, is beauty to resurrect her. That's his only reason, and Phanora finds it dull, revealing her witch origins.

Against all of the Necromancer's taxidermy experimentations, forcing Johan on her will not make her bulge, even Semi-auto demons, and the only right away is to kill the soul from within to stop their manifestation. And Johan, even as an undead, a witch's undead to be exact, that's why Phanora has such trust in him. And as people of the Order of Magical Resonance, their clientele is forced by their contract, and the Necromancer is revitalized as an undead to maintain his collection.

Phanora and Johan are such interesting characters, hope we get to see more of them.
Feb 9, 2:36 AM
Jul 2015
Reply to Dreadogastus_F

I am curious. Considering that death and souls are some of the great mysteries, what doesn't make sense to you about the stories explanation?
Dreadogastus_F said:
what doesn't make sense to you about the stories explanation?

She willy-nilly made the cycle of souls a thing and implied that people in that universe where aware (of them having been reborn) ... kinda keeping being the same being and still knowing the stuff from past lives*. Which hasn't been established, neither here nor in the story universe (the first part matters because that excludes it from "common facts" that just apply when and wherever and don't require explaining; the second matters because of the first: if it isn't common knowledge, it has to be established in the story).

*) Or else her stating that going undead was basically a shortcut from having to wait one's turn in being reborn would make no sense (in that it wouldn't mean anything).

The implications of basically every character in the story being an "old soul" and knowing would be huge. And it would also make a lot of what has happened seem dumb (as in: people would have acted differently). But of course she didn't mean it that way, she was just bsing away (more precisely, the author was).
Feb 9, 3:42 AM
Jan 2024
In fact, it is "void" according to our Eastern concept. When the soul dies again, it will fall into a place where nothing exists at all? Only consciousness permanently stays there (no above, no below, no left, no right, no bright, no dark, no hot, no cold, no colorless, no sound, no odor, no taste, no pain, no joy, no fear, no sadness....no concepts exist in this here. Only your consciousness will remain forever). Leaving the cycle of reincarnation also has many concepts, it simply means that you will escape the cycle of birth and death and will not be under the control of earth, hell, heaven or the realms within the cycle of reincarnation.... normal human beings Normally, if the soul is killed and dissolved, it will go to the ''void'' realm, but for supernatural entities, when they had the power to overcome the cycle of reincarnation, they will move to supreme spaces or realms. Basically, I think whether humans, demons, gods or supernatural entities. If their souls are destroyed and cannot be restored, they will all fall into the void realm.
Feb 9, 3:51 AM
Oct 2021
It was bad in every aspect...everything was classic shit and predictable...
Feb 9, 3:52 AM

Aug 2017
Like several people here I also prefer this duo, Phanora and Johan chemistry is more fun to follow and Hayami Saori killed it with her role, displaying Phanora cold and angry emotions. Villain felt a bit too cartoonishly evil and his motives didn't really impress me, but we saw a merciless side of Phanora which was awesome. Also quite like the world building we got so far.

More of this duo please!
Feb 9, 3:58 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to ginf
In fact, it is "void" according to our Eastern concept. When the soul dies again, it will fall into a place where nothing exists at all? Only consciousness permanently stays there (no above, no below, no left, no right, no bright, no dark, no hot, no cold, no colorless, no sound, no odor, no taste, no pain, no joy, no fear, no sadness....no concepts exist in this here. Only your consciousness will remain forever). Leaving the cycle of reincarnation also has many concepts, it simply means that you will escape the cycle of birth and death and will not be under the control of earth, hell, heaven or the realms within the cycle of reincarnation.... normal human beings Normally, if the soul is killed and dissolved, it will go to the ''void'' realm, but for supernatural entities, when they had the power to overcome the cycle of reincarnation, they will move to supreme spaces or realms. Basically, I think whether humans, demons, gods or supernatural entities. If their souls are destroyed and cannot be restored, they will all fall into the void realm.
This was also mentioned in Naruto. when the souls of the four hokages were swallowed by the death god from the Shiki Fujin sealing technique. then their souls have also fallen into the void realm and cannot be bound and summoned by Kabuto's Edo Tensei. Orochimaru later found a way to dissolve it by sacrifice the life of "old body" to controlling the death god to slit his stomach and reclaim the souls of the 4 hokage.
ginfFeb 9, 4:10 AM
Feb 9, 4:07 AM
Apr 2021
Omg that art when Phanora summoned her knights was so crisp, when her eyes went white was just so badass of her and her voice is just so smooth and relaxed all the time Saori Hayami KILLED this role ong🔥🔥🔥😫

The story with necromancy was really interesting and I’d have to agree that that shit is really a taboo tbh I mean resurrecting a human should something only a godlike being should do not a human that’s just unethical

Seeing Johan come back had me hyped asf i knew bro was gonna come back but i didn’t expect bro to be an undead which is pretty cool of his character. Phanora be treating my boy like dirt but she loves him deep down not in a romantic way but you get what I mean🥰
Feb 9, 12:07 PM
Jan 2022
I had almost written this show off before this arc but I knew Hayamin was coming and I had to at least give it a little more leash.
What a cheater she is. Now idk what to think about the show but if I’m promised more Phanora I think I’m on board the rest of the way
Feb 9, 12:28 PM
May 2018
Both Johan and Phanora were so cool this episode. Johan in particular when he just appears sitting in a chair with blood still covering his body.

I wasn't expecting the ending at all
Feb 9, 12:47 PM
Aug 2023
Dickegrobe said:

I’m pretty sure his motivation being so surface-level was done on purpose to A) make you dislike him and B) justify everything they did to him next though right? And how exactly did the soul explanation not make sense? Genuine question
Feb 9, 1:10 PM
Aug 2023
kuroneko99 said:
  • The animation looked cheap. The show was like a picture book sometimes. It was stressed by adding the scroll around the window frame.
  • Also it's unclear how the protagonist punished the criminal.

If you mean Johan, he just skinned him while keeping him barely alive enough for Phanora to come finish him off. Phanora then turns him into an undead, dooming his soul to the same fate he tried to brush off earlier
Feb 9, 2:27 PM

Dec 2016
Reply to phantomfandom
This hybrid witch/necromancer and her partner have potential to be leading protagonists. In fact, they remind me of a leading couple from Undead Girl Murder Farce.
@phantomfandom

My thoughts exactly. This couple has much more chemistry and sexy goodness than our original MCs. Hope we get some more of them in future episodes.
Feb 9, 5:03 PM

Aug 2017
Well this episode did make me smile a bit. I wasn't expecting she being a witch nor johan being an undead. Well played, indeed.
Feb 9, 5:09 PM
Oct 2019
Could any readers of the manga tell me where the anime is in its adaptation of the manga ?
Feb 9, 5:37 PM
Jan 2020
Can't imagine how good this show'll be if this got the Heavenly Delusion treatment instead of getting a barely subpar adaptation
RonninnFeb 9, 5:40 PM
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Ronninn
Can't imagine how good this show'll be if this got the Heavenly Delusion treatment instead of getting a barely subpar adaptation
@Ronninn Oh man, you just had to bring up a concrete example and make me sadder... I'm now wondering how amazing it would be if they animated this episode like one of those man-eater attacks and violent hallucinations from Heavenly Delusion.
Feb 9, 11:15 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to JaysonNnN
Could any readers of the manga tell me where the anime is in its adaptation of the manga ?
@JaysonNnN Chapter 9
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Feb 9, 11:29 PM

Sep 2016
Would be very funny if this witch is the witch lol.

But ofc, too easy.
bruh
Feb 10, 5:00 AM

Oct 2016
This anime is definitely becoming one of my favorites for this season. Even though we moved away from Ashaf and Guideau, they were still able to keep things very interesting with the reveal that Phanora was a witch and Johan was undead. Learning more about the details of necromancy was very cool as well. It’s not just a free revive as it comes with horrific consequences. I don’t know if we are getting our main duo back next episode, but I do know the it’s going to be interesting no matter what. (8.5/10)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 4

85 by Erebus25 »»
Jun 22, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7

47 by DeWiek »»
Jun 10, 3:28 PM

» are the ses of DVD and Blur-Ray volume good ?

Haninegharbi - Jun 6

2 by Haninegharbi »»
Jun 7, 8:42 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 11

165 by Lin0o »»
Jun 2, 8:06 AM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 28

36 by Sun_Chan »»
Apr 29, 7:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.