Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Witch and the Beast
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 18, 8:57 AM

Nov 2011
This episode is fine but damn, Guideau's personality is always so grumpy. Seems the show loves to show off her appetitie in eating.

The episode follows a trend of dealing with supernatural forces and investigations. Ashaf and Guideau are the main core of the anime but pacing felt like it slowed down. I guess they're trying to get us to warm up to the main characters. That eerie ending though.
Jan 18, 9:47 AM

Apr 2016
Wait, i was not expecting to go straight into the episodic style, from one case right to another ...

I thought we gonna get to know more about the magic association order, was kinda interesting in that, i guess in time. The main duo is nice and all (the girl that spits, shouts, curse, acts as a total hooligan stereotype is pretty overused tho ... very 2000s shoujo).

But i'm genuinely more interested in the world building.
Jan 18, 9:51 AM

Dec 2021
Guideau is honestly the season's badass mommy.

Guideau and Ashaf lead peaceful days, but Guideau becomes discontented due to the lack of witch-related requests. Just then, a black envelope arrives from the Order, prompting them to rush to Hayden, the regional capital of Pheres, which lies to the west of the fourth continent. A series of murders by witches has occurred, and they learn that "something" is involved in these incidents. Upon their arrival in Hayden, the two appear before the city police.

I like to believe that Ashaf probably shared some important information about witches, but Guideau just didn't catch it. They mentioned there were 17 original witches, and encountering two of them in such a short time feels surprisingly fast. It seems the Paladin Corps is ready to help with the serial killer witch case in Hayden, but there's a hint that the Mayor is holding them back, perhaps wanting to take the glory of solving the case on his own.

The worldbuilding in this episode has piqued my interest. I wonder where they'll go with it.
IzanaSolosJan 18, 2:28 PM

Jan 18, 10:29 AM
Sep 2015
I'm feeling uncomfortable seeing male spirit being forced to live in female body.
Jan 18, 10:41 AM

Feb 2021
There were many people (mainly manga readers) who weren't satisfied with last week's episode. I don't get them, this is really good imo.
Lying about the barrier sensing lies was smooooth
Really liked this episode too.

I just checked the manga chapters that this episode adapted, and damn they actually intensified the gore a bit.
EmbientJan 18, 10:46 AM
Jan 18, 12:20 PM

Sep 2018
I really love the vibe this show gives off.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jan 18, 12:39 PM

Jan 2015
That was an excellent episode. My interest leveled up by a thousand. I really like Ashaf and his chemistry with Guideau. Looking forward to the next episode, the witch is really brutal this time.
Jan 18, 1:04 PM
Jan 2018
Reply to Swagernator
Wait, i was not expecting to go straight into the episodic style, from one case right to another ...

I thought we gonna get to know more about the magic association order, was kinda interesting in that, i guess in time. The main duo is nice and all (the girl that spits, shouts, curse, acts as a total hooligan stereotype is pretty overused tho ... very 2000s shoujo).

But i'm genuinely more interested in the world building.
(the girl that spits, shouts, curse, acts as a total hooligan stereotype is pretty overused tho ... very 2000s shoujo).

I mean Guideau is actually male, and stuck in a female body, I think I'd be pretty pissed about that too lol
Jan 18, 1:42 PM
Mar 2020
Ooof Guideau, hawt, so hawt 🥰
Jan 18, 2:08 PM
Aug 2020
another great episode

i like this atmosphere

i enjoy this kind of vibe
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 18, 2:10 PM
Dec 2021
Guideau is amazing. Other than that, yeah this was meh, which is sad because the manga looks fun. IDK I was very excited for this show but it's a bit of a let down.
Jan 18, 2:31 PM

Sep 2013
Guideau ordered all that food for herself lmao
Jan 18, 3:34 PM

May 2015
So my only question is who in the hell tools around at 30mph at 5000rmp?
Jan 18, 3:41 PM

Mar 2019
This blonde is really annoying, for her to be more annoying, the only thing missing was Mariya Ise's voice, i wish the handsome guy would leave her trapped inside his coffin haha.
Jan 18, 3:49 PM
May 2022
Conflicted because the animation and art style leave a lot to be desired. I haven’t read it, yet at least, but for reference I skimmed the first chapter. Really beautiful work. Very unlike the more generic look this has. But the content isn’t bad. I’m honestly really unsure if I want to continue or not.
Jan 18, 4:53 PM

May 2020
Reply to billybub
@billybub LOL real

This episode's story was a lot more interesting to me than last week's mess. I wish the visuals were cleaner, but the characters and worldbuilding are neat so far.
Jan 18, 5:04 PM

Feb 2019
Another solid episode, not as good as the first since there was less action, but a lot more worldbuilding. Plus we got to see Guideau and Aschaf dynamic which is one of the biggest draws of this story.

Being trapped in a female body would make any guy anxious and ready to do whatever it takes to get out lol. Can’t blame Guideau for chomping at the bit to find the next witch. Aschaf bold for getting her hopes up on that first case 😂. She looked ready to rip his head off.

Looks like she’s in luck though, we got a case in Pheres and it looks like another brutal one. The scenes of the women getting attacked by the witch and blowing up was horrifying. What an awful way to die. They definitely do a good job of showing how evil the witches are.

The new detective lady is a cool character and it’s wild to think that their investigation could be being hampered by the mayor wanting credit..

I’d like to find out more about the order they’re apart of, this world feels so dark and mysterious I love it. Heavy shades of Undead Girl from a couple seasons ago. Can’t wait to see where this goes
Marinate1016Jan 18, 5:24 PM
Jan 18, 5:14 PM

Apr 2022
Reply to Huntee1999
Conflicted because the animation and art style leave a lot to be desired. I haven’t read it, yet at least, but for reference I skimmed the first chapter. Really beautiful work. Very unlike the more generic look this has. But the content isn’t bad. I’m honestly really unsure if I want to continue or not.
@Huntee1999 yeah i don't blame you, the art looks amazing and the gothic vibe of the manga is really great for a story about witches and such, but this here is just about okay.
Jan 18, 5:38 PM

Feb 2014
The "short temper" character is one of my least favourite tropes in anime
Jan 18, 6:15 PM

Jun 2020
You know watching the last scene at 2 am was not the best idea.I think they added more darker vibe to some of the scenes which is good idea
Jan 18, 6:29 PM

Apr 2016
Reply to curvedtree
The "short temper" character is one of my least favourite tropes in anime
@curvedtree Same. Unless she mellows out, Guideau makes the show really hard to watch for me.
Jan 18, 7:07 PM
Apr 2021
My god, this is the most revolutionary show I've ever seen: they made a plan and set a place and exact time to meet, they didn't just say "I'll see you tomorrow". Bravo!
Jan 18, 7:15 PM

Aug 2022
The witch hunt that cursed Guideau is still ongoing.

Then they met a woman, it seemed she was also a witch. Hopefully after that they can find it.

And one more thing, can Ashaf and Gui get along? Maybe it was more of Gui's wild nature. But maybe she will turn into a normal cute girl, who knows.
RafaBryanJan 18, 7:21 PM
Jan 18, 8:08 PM

Jul 2008
Well this witch is all sorts of Jack the Ripper creepy.
Jan 18, 8:53 PM

Jan 2011
Now this was much better. I am starting to like our main two but this cop lady is sharp. I like it. Let's keep it going so we can have a girl boss.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 18, 9:10 PM

May 2019
Reply to billybub
@billybub
LMAO, I noticed that too and I was like wtf? Guessing that person has a manual and stuck in 2nd gear or something.

Anyway, this show is getting more interesting with a serial killing witch to hunt, and man is Guideau angry (I suppose most of us wouldn't be happy being cursed by supposedly being stuck in body that isn't ours).
Jan 18, 9:25 PM

May 2015
Reply to Alfredo-Sauce
@billybub
LMAO, I noticed that too and I was like wtf? Guessing that person has a manual and stuck in 2nd gear or something.

Anyway, this show is getting more interesting with a serial killing witch to hunt, and man is Guideau angry (I suppose most of us wouldn't be happy being cursed by supposedly being stuck in body that isn't ours).
@Alfredo-Sauce my thoughts exactly, was like what the hell this dudes just cruising around town in 2ng gear lol
Jan 18, 9:37 PM

Nov 2021
I really like the ending song and animation. This season has a lot of great opening/ending songs
Jan 18, 9:54 PM

Nov 2023
Man, that witch is extremely creepy. Pops out when you're alone, places a hand on your mouth to muffle your screams and you die, nothing you can do.

An intriguing episode which showed what happens in between witch cases and the start of one.
Jan 18, 11:16 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
This episode was slightly slower in its pacing than the first one, though I still liked the premise. Let's see if the conclusion from this case becomes more interesting.

I fell Guideau like a decaffeinated version of Power from Chainsaw Man.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jan 19, 1:36 AM

Jul 2020
one of the best shows this season for sure, so interesting
Jan 19, 1:47 AM
Jul 2022
Pretty good ep. I don't mind if nothing much happens and we only get to know more about our leads every now and then. This show seems really good and I hope it keeps it that way.
Jan 19, 2:21 AM

Nov 2023
For anyone reading this: don't be discouraged to watch it, because of lower score. Just some sakugatards expected to get dynamic animated sequences even in a episode without action. Actually this anime is pretty good with nice atmosphere, immersion and art so far.
Jan 19, 4:18 AM

Jan 2009
I went ahead and read a few chapters out of curiosity after this ep... it gets fairly good so I'd advice to stick with the series if anyone is in doubt of its quality.
Jan 19, 7:19 AM

Jul 2022
Story progression was good but I'm not completely sold on the show just yet. Hopefully the next episode will cement it for me.
Jan 19, 8:02 AM

Jun 2016
guideau can be nominated as waifu seasonal !!

she/he so gorgeus and enermous
Jan 19, 8:26 AM

Mar 2010
I still don't have any interest of either of the mcs. Looks like the new witch is some kind of vampire hybird
Jan 19, 8:55 AM

Nov 2013
- knowing that the girl is actually that abomination really sucks lmao i'd enjoy the anime more if she was a girl that could transform into a random animal or maybe use a monster as a stan/spirit
- if i was that ugly ass guy and was suddenly transformed into a cute girl, would i want my old body back? i really don't think so ... but who knows..........
- was there anything interesting in this episode apart from all the "give me a witch to kill" and meeting the woman at the end? oh yeah there was the "a lesson to learn patience" bullshit lol
- am i supposed to have fun seeing the random women getting inflated, bleeding through their eyes and exploding? multiple times in the same episode even?

- people hating on the "girl" personality and her being annoying, when that's literally the one funny thing this show has lol

meh whatever, who knows if i even want to check ep3 lol if anything i should have dropped it in ep1

---

@Hirugiku ofc giku would like the two anime i hated the most so far (this and ishura), i love you too haha
winddevil1Jan 19, 9:11 AM
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Jan 19, 10:13 AM

Aug 2017
Mostly an exposition episode, but it was allright.
Jan 19, 10:34 AM

Jul 2021
They should stick to quieter episodes like this one. The show works better for me when the atmosphere, the characters and the magic lore take center stage.

Really like the city streets and the character designs, just oozing noir and gothic vibes.

Guideau as a character looks good, but her sulking and bone-headed charging ahead is getting a little annoying. A grandma opens the door, and Guideau immediately goes "you're a witch!"? Based on what? Were you going to kill her then and there? Was that a comedy moment? Hope she reveals herself to be more than a simple "beast", or at least take Ashaf's "lessons" to heart.

Jan 19, 11:18 AM

Jan 2015
Reply to winddevil1
- knowing that the girl is actually that abomination really sucks lmao i'd enjoy the anime more if she was a girl that could transform into a random animal or maybe use a monster as a stan/spirit
- if i was that ugly ass guy and was suddenly transformed into a cute girl, would i want my old body back? i really don't think so ... but who knows..........
- was there anything interesting in this episode apart from all the "give me a witch to kill" and meeting the woman at the end? oh yeah there was the "a lesson to learn patience" bullshit lol
- am i supposed to have fun seeing the random women getting inflated, bleeding through their eyes and exploding? multiple times in the same episode even?

- people hating on the "girl" personality and her being annoying, when that's literally the one funny thing this show has lol

meh whatever, who knows if i even want to check ep3 lol if anything i should have dropped it in ep1

---

@Hirugiku ofc giku would like the two anime i hated the most so far (this and ishura), i love you too haha
@winddevil1
1) sure, I see your point
2) unless you don't like being a certain gender, otherwise, yes you'd want your body back, pretty sure
3) its the buildup and the world building. and Ashaf being cool
4) you don't have to, its gore, its not for everyone. I'm not a fan either, but it brings up the atmosphere.
Jan 19, 12:23 PM

Nov 2012
I'm really trying to like this, but I don't like Guideau at all. I understand Guideau wants revenge, but the attitude is wearing thin. Plus, I dislike Guideau's seiyuu. Her voice grates my nerves.
Jan 19, 12:32 PM

Nov 2012
Reply to HajimeNozomiUwU
@curvedtree Same. Unless she mellows out, Guideau makes the show really hard to watch for me.
@HajimeNozomiUwU @Curvedtree

I agree with you both. I was starting to feel alone in my irritation of Guideau's attitude. I love the art. The story seems interesting so far. But Guideau makes me check out.
Jan 19, 12:39 PM

Dec 2009
Agree with some of the above: Guideau is not really my type of character, everything she does makes me wish she'd just shut up
Jan 19, 3:47 PM

Mar 2007
Too many side quests, can we get back to the main quest?

Like the character style and animation, not a fan of the shouty perpetually angry female MC.
Jan 19, 6:51 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
I really enjoyed this episode and it definitely peaked my interest for wanting to continue on with this series 😁
Jan 19, 10:18 PM

Jan 2017
I just started watching the two episodes today and this looks promising--with the Undead Murder Farce vibes--and Ashaf and Guideau both having opposite personalities that's like a balance to the story so looking forward to the next episodes!
Jan 19, 11:22 PM

Oct 2016
I’m loving the series so far. Guideau is so chaotic which pairs well with Ashaf’s cool persona. I love that we are getting bits of lore here and there as it helps to get invested in this world. (7.5/10)
Jan 20, 12:40 AM

Mar 2008
Okay episode. Just a setup for the next episode. Not much happening yet
Jan 20, 2:35 AM
Jul 2023
I have been questioning if Guideau is female or what even more.
Mostly because of the fact that only the blind don't see that the curse is gonna be lifted by "her" and Ashaf making out.
LyLordJan 20, 2:38 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 4

89 by frederico666 »»
Sep 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21

39 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 3, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14

56 by Matheus050 »»
Aug 28, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7

49 by Matheus050 »»
Aug 21, 8:38 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 29

42 by Matheus050 »»
Jul 12, 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.