Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 20, 2023 7:49 AM

Nov 2011
Not going to lie, I'm fairly impressed by the faithful adaptation of the anime including this episode.

From Frieren's adventure into a new town to scenes like being pinned to the ground by guards, they really captured her expressions. Getting locked up is not a good impression but I do like how she's keeping it cool. Plus, it looks like there was a festival going on so it was a chance for something big to develop.

I do like how Frieren stands up to help the helpless although it's not a surprise with her personality.
Oct 20, 2023 7:50 AM

May 2020
To think the person Frieren spent a good part of her life with, was and is considered nothing more than a being in a fairy tale is kind of hilarious in itself. Anyways, coming back to the present and this journey to the north, this might be another day for the trio, but for the town they stumbled upon, it was the day of the Liberation festival…

… the day Himmel and his party subjugated the demon king. Great to see the reason behind as to why Himmel was so insistent upon building his own statutes wherever he went. It was all for his wish for Frieren to not feel alone and out of place, even after years of this venture.

Also, about time Stark addresses this thing about Fern calling him “Stark-sama” lol, and moreover him knowing the final destination of this journey. Took him a while to ask but okay lol. Though now, we’re finally to this demon infiltration mini-arc, and have to say the start may seem serious, but is quite hilarious at the same time, as I mean Frieren got thrown into jail… just after a few minutes later into the arc.

Demons have taken control or more specifically, Lugner and his goons have over a town, and demons in this series, in the words of Frieren, are incomprehensible beasts, who use human language not to communicate but to deceive. I mean we saw a firsthand example in the flashback, and are about to see one next episode... though who to tell that dude about the blunder he's about to commit, trying to go up against Frieren smh.
Softhenic03Oct 20, 2023 7:54 AM
Oct 20, 2023 8:00 AM

Dec 2021
Fern is the best. Her deadpan demeanor complements Stark's modesty perfectly.

Frieren, Fern, and Stark reach the town hosting the Liberation Festival, marking the Hero Party's victory over a tyrannical demon. Later as the trio walk though the town, Frieren senses demons but is thwarted by sentinels, led by Lord Lugner. She's imprisoned, while Fern and Stark learn more about Aura the Guillotinea, the formidable demon who served as one of the Seven Sages of Destruction under the Demon King, has sought peace after a prolonged conflict with the town. Frieren plans her escape as Lugner recognizes her unique knowledge of demons.

Fern's sharp wit is quite refreshing. It's admirable how Himmel could anticipate Frieren's moments of nostalgia. While using magic to clear away the fallen rocks at once might seem simpler, Frieren might have unintentionally overdone the situation. It's surprising that a town, which fought demons, could overlook the fact that demons prey on humans. I'm curious if the town will face destruction before Frieren embarks on her demon-purging mission.

I can sense a major battle on the horizon soon.

Oct 20, 2023 8:21 AM

Nov 2010
The last conversation was cool. It's worth watching this episode just for it.

Oct 20, 2023 8:30 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to kuroneko99
The last conversation was cool. It's worth watching this episode just for it.

@kuroneko99 Things are getting real from here. I'm close to where I last left off reading the manga, so after this whole peace ordeal goes down it's going to be a new experience for me.

That last line from Frieren is so fucking cool.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Oct 20, 2023 8:33 AM

Apr 2010
Well it seems the demons are up to something and Frieren doesn't trust them, well she has a longer past with them than any human.
Still the cliffhanger predicted nothing good so i wonder what we will see next week.
Also Fern's reaction at the start of the episode was funny.
Oct 20, 2023 8:34 AM

Aug 2012
"We are not fairy tales, we really existed".
Oct 20, 2023 8:42 AM

Oct 2020
I see trouble with these demons.

Oct 2017
Everytime Himmel appears I get emotional. People will know for sure he existed while Flamma might be pushed off as a fairy tale. Good for Frieren. Looks like demons are incapable of feeling emotion and just use words to deceive humans. Truly demons in every sense of the word. That last scene with Frieren declaring how strong she is was hype. Btw Fern's expression was amusing as usual.

Feb 2021
For some reason I thought that Spy × Family is coming out today so I felt so happy when I saw that actually Frieren is airing today lol

Idk what anyone says, I'll always love Yoasobi's style of music.
They are finally addressing how we never saw any other elves! But if they lack reproductive instincts, how did they, like... evolve or something?
Lügner literally means liar lmao
The flashback with the demon girl was really cool. I feel like she didn't even think of herself as evil, like she was just born without the ability to empathize, and I think this is really interesting.
So Aura is the girl with a creepy smile in the OP
The name of the next episode is actually the same as the anime itself! 葬送のフリーレン (sousou no furiiren) roughly translates to "Frieren of the funeral"
More intrigue this time! I thought this will always be a SoL, this is cool to see.

Edit: So it turns out that the elf in the OP isn't actually Aura. Well crap, I thought that's her at 21:29
EmbientOct 20, 2023 8:48 AM
Oct 20, 2023 8:46 AM

Sep 2019
The demons are irredeemable and are truly villains unlike in most animes. Elves lack reproductive instinct as how usually elves are shown except for that one blonde elf in that one anime.
Oct 20, 2023 8:47 AM

Oct 2010
We are going full DOOM soon.
Oct 20, 2023 8:47 AM
Apr 2017
I like how Frieren keep calm when the guard caught and carried her in his arms, it was funny and it reminded me of Tanaka-kun from Anime "Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge"
LS_11Oct 20, 2023 8:58 AM
Oct 20, 2023 8:50 AM

Mar 2021
Really great episode I loved learning more about Frieren and her past history with Demons and can't wait to see her face off with the Demon next week
Oct 20, 2023 8:51 AM

Mar 2023
Frieren may have a legendary status, but she (still) exists now and she understands how demons think. You could always turn their tactics around if you understand their logic (aka pretend to fall for it and use it against them)
Elves are going extinct from not having any lewd thoughts.
Oct 20, 2023 8:52 AM

Jun 2017
'But I guess the biggest reason... is so you won't be alone in the future'.

'We are not fairy tails, we really existed'

Oct 20, 2023 8:53 AM

Aug 2023
I read somewhere that this is episode is outsourced to kuruseru. Is this true?
Oct 20, 2023 8:58 AM

Jan 2018
Damn. Why does Fern always need to be so cold towards Stark? Poor guy.

So Frieren might be one of the last of her kind. Interesting. Logically it makes sense why elves wouldn’t reproduce so much. If they breeded like us there'd be way too many of them in no time.

So the demons in Frieren's world are irredeemable monsters. That's kind of cool. It means Frieren won't need to hold back when killing them.

It's incredible to me that these monsters can even form deceitful tactics like sending peace envoys since they're little more than evolved monsters. Luckily the legendary mage Frieren conveniently happened to be in the city.
0451Oct 20, 2023 11:55 AM
Oct 20, 2023 9:00 AM

Jul 2011
Should Stark even be tired and taking that long to clean that landslide? The guy was splitting a cliff an episode ago.

Was in that moment Frieren regretted 2 things: Not having a faster cast, and not spreading knowledge about demons nature.
Oct 20, 2023 9:10 AM
Feb 2022
i cant wait for the next episodefor her aura reveal ahhhh
Oct 20, 2023 9:10 AM
May 2021
Am hearing the anime is doing the manga justice, thats what we like to hear. Peak shit.
Oct 20, 2023 9:13 AM
Jun 2020
In a few scenes we already know demons are totally inhuman and deserve no mercy.
Oct 20, 2023 9:19 AM

Jul 2016
"Well I guess I'll be taking my elf mage and leaving!"

The cut from wholesome montage of demon girl's new family to the house in flames has to be one of the most unintentionally(?) hilarious things I've seen in a while.
Oct 20, 2023 9:25 AM
Jul 2023
“What a lovely sight, two kids playing together, definitely nothing bad gonna happen.”
Oct 20, 2023 9:27 AM
Mar 2022
‘…we existed’
Everytime Himmel comes up I get so emotional I don’t understand it myself. Even though he’s gone, he’s was always thinking about Frieren and concerned about her (Sob 🥲)
The demons are up to something…. We’ll definitely be seeing more action onwards
Kawaii_swanOct 20, 2023 11:06 AM
Oct 20, 2023 9:27 AM
Sep 2015
Very effective at hyping the fighting situation, just clever dialogue is enough.
Oct 20, 2023 9:29 AM
Jul 2016
Sensing a lot of anti-demon settlement around here...

In seriousness, one of the fascinating points of the manga was their cutthroat depiction of demons. These guys are not human or even human-like.

Also one of the demons reminds me of Johan Liebert from Monster.

erikkamirsOct 20, 2023 9:41 AM
Oct 20, 2023 9:31 AM
May 2018
what a badass line in the end
Oct 20, 2023 9:32 AM

Jan 2019
Interesting that the demons in this world are completely amoral. I'm curious if morality could even be taught to them because they must understand empathy in concept to be able to manipulate it in complex ways like the diplomats do.

Oct 20, 2023 9:39 AM

Jul 2012
Thought the demons would turn a new leaf, but it turns out Frieren was right. I liked how she stayed calm and cold towards Draht in the prison cell, even the small details like shuffling her feet lol.
Oct 20, 2023 9:44 AM

Apr 2020
What a fantastic episode. Demons only imitate the human speech, they don't actually try to communicate. Seeing how emotional humans are, it's really easy to fool anyone. I loved this.

What is a father?
I don't know.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Oct 20, 2023 9:47 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Great episode.

Loved the little funny bits like Fern's reaction to Frieren waking up early or her reactions to Stark wanting to be treated nicely.

The part of the gang entering the next town and encountering demons was very interesting. I like how the episode shows us the true and irreversible nature of demons, in which they use words as weapons in order to deceive humans. Conversation with them is utterly pointless, as showcased with the flashback of the Hero party when they were at a village watching over the chief taking in a demon child, as a way for the demon to potentially atone for their crime of murder, only to then commit more murder.

All in all this was a fantastic episode and I'm very excited for the next one!

Oct 20, 2023 9:51 AM

May 2019
Too bad Himmel's rizz didn't really work on Frieren (at least when he was still alive) because the line he said about him wanting statues to be built of them so that she wouldn't be alone was pretty good.

I was yet again engrossed throughout this entire episode, especially when the demons were introduced and showed how cunning and vile they really are. Btw, even though I expect Frieren to destroy the young rash demon that came to kill her the title of the next episode is kind of a spoiler, "Frieren the Slayer" but I am still very much looking forward to it.
Alfredo-SauceOct 20, 2023 7:54 PM
Oct 20, 2023 10:06 AM
Dec 2022
Kawaii_swan said:
‘…we existed’
Everytime Hummel comes up I get so emotional I don’t understand it myself. Even though he’s gone, he’s was always thinking about Frieren and concerned about her (Sob 🥲)
The demons are up to something…. We’ll definitely be seeing more action onwards

I totally feel you in regards of Himmel. Every time they flash back to the past or even talk about him, something cracks inside of me and I need a break to calm down. I still don't know why this anime hits me like a freight train every week, but I love it
Oct 20, 2023 10:06 AM
Nov 2015
The one demon looked and felt exactly like Johan from Monster. Anyone else think it was a reference?
Oct 20, 2023 10:08 AM

Mar 2020
The journey northward, faced with manipulative demons and frights...

Fern and Stark's dynamic just never fails to get me to chuckle. Fern's deadpan demeanour definitely is the perfect way to mess with Stark, and the comedy between those two is gold. Though, the meat of the episode revolved around demons and Frieren's experience with them in the past, along with the same type of manipulation from demons in the here and now. They take advantage of the "humanity" of humans, their empathy, and use it against them. Their knowledge of human language exists only to deceive, and not to communicate. I also liked the flashbacks with Himmel, they always feel quite emotional. "We are not fairy tales, we really existed."
Oct 20, 2023 10:08 AM
May 2023
the ending conversation tho
Oct 20, 2023 10:18 AM

Mar 2019
So elves don't have many romantic feelings and reproductive instincts? I wish human beings were like that too haha.
Oct 20, 2023 10:29 AM
Apr 2021
great episode, always waiting every week this series
Oct 20, 2023 10:30 AM

Oct 2018
Why is this Nahida so cute? I hope she'll kill these demon and their boss as well.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Oct 20, 2023 10:33 AM
Mar 2015
The gloves are off and Frieren gets to see the real demons once again
The only good demon is a dead demon
landofthekwtOct 20, 2023 10:36 AM
Oct 20, 2023 10:33 AM
Jul 2023
love it 😍😀😍😀
Oct 20, 2023 10:39 AM
Jan 2020
Really liked this episode, also is it me or was the little demon girl genuinely trying to correct her previous mistake? I didn't feel any real malice in what she did.
Oct 20, 2023 10:39 AM
Jun 2023
illegal cliffhanger, where’s the juicy massacre at 😔
Oct 20, 2023 10:47 AM
Aug 2020
another excellent episode
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 20, 2023 10:47 AM

Jan 2023
I can’t get enough of the dynamic between Stark and Fern, Fern’s often blank expression while having little to no chill while Stark’s more childish nature is so damn funny. From slander to calling him a pain in the ass was hilarious.

A town in the North still celebrating Frieren and the party’s achievements, it continues to bring back that weight of time for Frieren. 80 years is like a blink of an eye for her but those same 80 years is a human lifetime. It showcases that even though it’s hardly any time for Frieren, its perception is different in the eyes of humanity and in the case of the town, they can continue celebrating the legacy of the party.

Gosh, the soundtrack creating such an unsettling and fearful mood as soon as Lugnër turned the corner was such a great ambience. The worldbuilding just continues to grow and expand and the introduction and depth to Demons was astounding. The true nature of demons, using speech as an option to deceive humans rather than understanding or coming to terms with them, that is the nature of a demon. “They speak not to understand, but to deceive.” That poor guard, decapped with the flick of a finger. That’s already an example of the capability of demon magic against a standard guard, but what of it against an elf mage..?

Another stellar episode, the DI arc has begun. Also Frieren getting carried away by that guard was cute.
Have a Fabulous Frieren Friday :]

Oct 20, 2023 10:54 AM

Apr 2012
I don’t know how this arc will develop further, but given modern geopolitics, an episode with a hint of a cynical disguise of aggression as peaceful initiatives does not have the best timing. But nevertheless, how did a guy who fought with demons for more than 10 years allow himself to be so easily deceived about the way of life of demons?
Oct 20, 2023 11:00 AM

Aug 2022
I fucking hate those demons. I really hope that Frieren kills them.
Oct 20, 2023 11:03 AM

Jan 2009
nature vs nurture too? and demons are natural enemies that are complete psychopaths

and symbolic immortality talk with the statues of heroes
degOct 20, 2023 11:11 AM
Oct 20, 2023 11:07 AM

Feb 2019
Wasn’t gonna do a write up because tired from travelling around Japan, but loved this ep so much had to say something!

The relationship between Himmel and Frieren never fails to get me emotional. You can really see how much he cared for her. Yea, the statues were surely a little bit of him wanting to show off, but making sure Frieren knew she wasn’t alone and actually did have all these amazing experiences with people is so sweet.

It’s cool to see demons actually portrayed as legitimately evil in anime as well. They’re so often portrayed as the victims, but looks pretty clear cut in this one. Can’t wait to see the next episode!
Marinate1016Oct 20, 2023 11:12 AM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did she view him that way?

kingsley_017 - Yesterday

33 by ButterworthBoys »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

820 by Huperchild »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 23

223 by corvKa »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 29, 2023

584 by giancarloquin »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2023

362 by ourlinkin »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.